Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Landscaping: Help needed. Looking for any kind of information on a tree

Communities > Forums > Beginner Landscaping
bookmark
Forum: Beginner LandscapingReplies: 9, Views: 70
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Rutlandite
Rutland, MA

April 28, 2011
9:30 AM

Post #8526209

12 years ago, my Boy Friend, Bought me a beatiful Cherry Tree. The tag was thrown away. Since then, I have been trying to find any information on this tree & can't. Has anyone ever hear of an Old English Cherry Tree? It has a beautiful bloom on it every May. The Baltimore Oriels love it.
I would love to learn more about it.

TIA,
Yvette in Central Massachusetts.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 28, 2011
11:56 AM

Post #8526440

Never heard of an Old English Cherry. What color blooms? Does it produce fruit?
flowers_delight
Leicester, NC
(Zone 8a)

April 29, 2011
4:44 PM

Post #8529038

Rutlandite here is a link with some info on it. Scroll down until you see the phrase Old English Cherry, they have its proper name as cseresznye. http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4ADSA_enUS361US363&q=Old English Cherry Tree images
Rutlandite
Rutland, MA

April 29, 2011
6:03 PM

Post #8529168

Yes, That looks like it! Same exact flowers! Thank you so much! The only problem is. It has never produced fruit.
Rutlandite
Rutland, MA

April 29, 2011
6:17 PM

Post #8529209

This exactly what the flowers look like!
http://images.suite101.com/570129_com_cherryblos.jpg
flowers_delight
Leicester, NC
(Zone 8a)

April 30, 2011
6:35 PM

Post #8531156

Well I'm no expert by any means Rutlandite but do know most fruit trees to produce you have to have two of the same kind. in order for them to bear fruit. I planted a Plum and a cherry thinking well two fruits so that should work, but it doesn't. They have to have another like them to polinate unless by chance you got a self polinater which is rare in most fruiting trees from what I've heard.
Rutlandite
Rutland, MA

May 1, 2011
7:39 PM

Post #8533406

Mine has a ton of small off shoots. Should I plant those off shoots in another area? If it doesn't produce. That OK. I really enjoy seeing the Oriels perch in it. :)
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

May 2, 2011
2:42 PM

Post #8535152

Don't know what you mean by off shoots, if you have little plant-lets that have grown separately from the parent tree, then this can only happen with Cherries when their fruit has fallen and germinated, you can once they are about a foot tall dig them up and pot them till big / strong enough to plant out.
If you have little plant-lets that have been produced from the root or on the parent trunk, these without roots are never very successful as they take there energy / food supply etc from the parent tree and without roots they have no means of supporting them self unless you are skilled enough at propagating the off shoots and getting them to form their own roots.

IF you want the tree to grow strong, I would remove the little plant let IF they are growing as part of the parent plant, these when growing bigger, take up a lot of moisture and if left, once they grow more, if they get damaged, they can allow disease to get into the parent plant so they are usually removed when very small, to do this you just nick them off with a sharp knife or secetures, don't cut too close to the trunk, but also don't leave a large stub sticking out from the foot of the trunk.

To get your tree to flower / fruit you may need to give a good feed, make sure the root area is free from weeds / grass etc, and give a feed late summer so the tree can take this up before winter when the plants normally shut down for a period of rest.
Hope you have some luck and maybe buy another tree of the opposite sex to encourage fruiting / flowering, lastly, the other way to have off shoots produced from the tree trunk / roots etc, is due to damage perhaps while strimming around the base or cutting with say lawn mower, these small nicks cause the tree to set new shoots out as it feels under threat. good luck WeeNel.
Rutlandite
Rutland, MA

May 2, 2011
8:43 PM

Post #8535971

"If you have little plant-lets that have been produced from the root or on the parent trunk, these without roots are never very successful as they take there energy / food supply etc from the parent tree and without roots they have no means of supporting them self unless you are skilled enough at propagating the off shoots and getting them to form their own roots."
This is what I have. There are a ton if them.

WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

May 9, 2011
1:09 PM

Post #8550254

I would imagine there is a good reason why you have a ton of little plant-lets or spurs as they are sometimes called, growing from the parent plant, the best way I know to halt this is to find why it is happening, normal things that cause this is machinery damage at the base of the trunk / root area IF the plant-let's are NOT ON the trunk but growing from the soil out from the underground roots.

Other damage could be hoeing, forking or raking / digging the soil around the trunk / root, the damage could be just a little scratch / nick to the parent plant and the parent thinks it is under attach, therefore it sends out chemicals ( like us humans if our skin is damaged)
to heel the wound and to protect the damaged bit, it makes a new shoot to cover over the damage and keep decay or rot out.

To remove the plant-let's I would cut them out /off close to the parent, IF small enough you can rub the little knobs off before they get too big, IF you leave them, you will weaken the parent tree as time / years go on, this can cost you blossom, fruit or even just unhealthy growth.
I would try ascertain why this is happening and what can be done to prevent more damage in future years.
I hope this helps, maybe a picture of the problem would make things a lot clearer as without seeing the tree, it is guess work really.
Good luck, WeeNel.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Landscaping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Landscaping forum! dave 65 Dec 11, 2011 8:57 PM
Landscape Transformation - join me! LarissaH 7 Mar 4, 2007 10:31 PM
Hello everyone, I'm new , and I need some landscaping help. Mrsfed04 32 Mar 9, 2012 9:12 PM
Encourage growth to Arborvitae carbo3595 15 Jul 2, 2010 8:11 PM
Update on our lanscaping situation. Mrsfed04 8 Jun 12, 2011 11:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America