Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Herbs: Mints, more than just peppermint and spearmint

Communities > Forums > Herbs
bookmark
Forum: HerbsReplies: 117, Views: 869
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

April 28, 2011
9:49 AM

Post #8526248

Which mints do you have, which are your favorites and which do you want?

Also, if anyone has banana mint - does it really smell like banana?

bariolio

bariolio
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 28, 2011
7:32 PM

Post #8527423

I have always loved spearmint since I was a kid! But I like the look of pineapple mint and I love the smell of chocolate mint. Picture is of choc mint. I'd like to learn about others, so look forward to everyone sharing comments and pics of their mints.

Thumbnail by bariolio
Click the image for an enlarged view.

tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

April 29, 2011
8:14 AM

Post #8528255

That's beautiful bariolio. I've read on here about putting them in hanging baskets but I've never seen a picture before. I agree with you on Spearmint. It's my mom's favorite and I recall her growing it when I was a kid so it's definitely my favorite.

I have some established peppermint and pineapple mint. Then I received some applemint, orange mint, spearmint and chocolate mint rooted plants via the houseplant swap. I'm hoping to add Banana and Ginger next.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

May 6, 2011
8:24 PM

Post #8544918

I love mints! And herbs. It's funny that I don't cook, but I collect these fragrant plants simply because I enjoy their fragrance when I walk by them.

I have A LOT of mints:

Chocolate - one of my faves, a must have for any chocoholic!
Orange - OMG it's incredible
Blackberry - love it, smells a bit like chocolate and something else
Ginger - awesome
Spice - Mmmmm, doesn't really smell spicy to me
Pineapple - beautiful
Julia's Sweet Citrus - light citrus fragrance
Spearmint - of course
Cocoa - Strong scent, kinda chocolatey
Julep - Nice spicy scent
Silver - grayish leaves, but the fragrance makes me sick. I've almost ripped all of it out
Unknown mint that is a special one--thought it died and pulled out its tag so don't know who it is now

The silver mint I'm trying to get rid of. I ripped tons of it out last year but more have come up this year. I've traded what I've found so far, but I'm sure I haven't seen the last of it yet.

I had apple mint and it was another that didn't impress me.

I'd love to get some lavender mint, banana mint, lemon mint, and a few others. I'm also into basils this year and have had trouble finding anything other than the regular basil. I'm looking for cinnamon, lemon and lime basils too. You can always find me nose deep in my herbs, with a goofy grin on my face. I love 'em like a cat loves catnip. LOL
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 6, 2011
9:05 PM

Post #8544981

ButterflyChaser, if you don't mind starting Basil from seed I have a few extras I can send you. If you're interested please dmail me. You should see my living room window, I have about 10 basil plants started from seed. I have more than just sweet basil.

I've requested Banana Mint through my favorite nursery and if they find it they'll order me some. I hope they do. I totally forgot to add Ginger Mint to the list as well so I emailed them this evening.

I've never heard of Cocoa or Blackberry before. I've recently added Candy and Sweet Pear to my wishlist. I don't dare recheck richters or I'll have an even longer list lol.
herbalbetty
Middleburgh, NY

May 7, 2011
3:25 AM

Post #8545126

I have lavender mint. Got plants from two different sources. One really does smell of lavender, the other, not so much. It will be interesting to see/smell how they come up this year. Love chocolate mint. And Kentucky Colonel spearmint.
LadyAshleyR
Oakland, MD

May 7, 2011
3:31 AM

Post #8545135

I have:

Spearmint: Kentucky Colonel - Supposed to be incredible for tea.

Spearmint Julep - LOVE the scent, havent gotten a chance to try it yet really as was new last year, but coming up great this year!

Orange mint - Smells & looks great! Heard it's great for tea as well!

Chocolate mint - the smell of it is incredible. Just like a york peppermint patty!

Generic peppermint
Generic spearmint

Ginger mint - almost died, and is in the little plant's hospital lol.

Apple mint - makes great tea! Lovely sweet aromatic foliage!

I am willing to trade for anything I don't have, and would adore a mint swap if anyone is interested x,x.

I would certainly be willing to trade stuff from my trade list as well!

bariolio

bariolio
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 7, 2011
6:12 AM

Post #8545320

Quite a while back, I had spearmint and orange mint in the same pot. The spearmint won. :) It literally took over the pot as time went on. I don't need one more plant but yall are REALLY making me want to collect these different mints!
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

May 7, 2011
7:41 AM

Post #8545491

Tikipod, thank you so much for the offer of seeds. I have lots of seeds, but I just haven't had time to bother with them. But while I was writing this email, a new friend of mine has gotten into growing from seeds like crazy! He tickles me. We met here on Daves actually. He just called and said he'd grow my seeds for us. He also loves propagating by cuttings and I don't. So he's going to take cuttings of some of the things I ahve too.

I'm one of those "instant gratification" gals. I want it NOW. I don't want to wait for it to sprout. I'm so happy to have a new friend who will do the part I have no patience for. His Mother-in-law used to propagate roses by cuttings. I'm hoping we can get her back into that. I have several roses I'd love duplicates of.

I too am willing to trade some of my proflific mints for perennials, climbing roses for wedding garden, named hardy hibiscus, or butterfly bushes that I don't have.

The mints I can share currently are:

spice (have lots, so you'll get a good sized hunk - not some little sprig)
blackberry (have lots, so again, you'll get a good sized hunk)
ginger - small rooted starts, it has just come up and is barely an inch tall while my others are already 6 or 8 or even 12 inches
silver - small amount
Julia's sweet citrus - limited quantity
a mint I lost the tag to - not spearmint or peppermint, one of the exotic mints I collected, thought it died, along with others, pulled the tags, then this one came back up.
Lemon Balm - not really a mint - but I love the lemon scent - have lots

I also have named daylilies to trade if anyone is interested.

Most of my other mints are either new or not prolific yet. If seriously interested, I MIGHT be able to get you a small rooted start of one of them though.

I'm looking for well-rooted plant as well--no cuttings or seeds. They don't have to be big plants, just well-rooted so I don't have to baby them for weeks before planting.

Lady Ashley, Ginger mint seems to be a bit more fragile than the other mints, doesn't it. Mine has some beautiful yellow variegation here and there. Usually variegation is the result of a virus being introduced to create the variegation. So it could be that this little mint is just stressed from the virus. I think it grows out of it once it gets bigger and stronger, but it sure gets off to a slow start each year for me. And then suddenly I'm overrun with it. What a delightful fragrance!!

This message was edited May 8, 2011 9:28 AM

Thumbnail by ButterflyChaser

tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 7, 2011
8:48 AM

Post #8545612

I really really hope the nursery will be able to find Ginger and Banana for me. I'm requesting 2 plants of each ^_^ I found two sellers on Etsy and Ebay who sell others.
mom2goldens
Carmel, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 7, 2011
7:34 PM

Post #8546758

I have :
Kentucky Colonel spearmint (my favorite for cooking, and makes wonderful mojitos)
Pineapple mint
Apple mint (new to me this year)
Chocolate mint (smells incredible)
Orange mint

I'd love to find blackberry mint or ginger mint. Does anyone have a source to order from?
LadyAshleyR
Oakland, MD

May 8, 2011
3:09 AM

Post #8547119

Ebay? lol
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 8, 2011
8:10 AM

Post #8547522

mom2goldens, you might want to check ButterflyChaser's list and see if you have anything she's looking for. It looks like she has those two mints on her willing to trade list. For online sources:
Richters
There is a seller on Ebay who sells several types of mint on one list - there is a drop down list.
There is a seller on Etsy who sells sweet pear and candy mint, along with others.
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

May 15, 2011
6:49 PM

Post #8565560

Hmmmm, Banana Mint!

I love the mints, too. I have:

Mojito
Pineapple
Marshmallow
Candy Lime
Julias Sweet Citrus
Pink Candypops (pretty!)
Sweet Pear
Cotton Candy
Jim's Fruit
Berries and Cream
Iced Hazelnut
Wild Berries

Edited to say, my favorite thing to do with the mints is give the grandkids a chunk of Bazooka gum, and let them pick mints to chew with it.

This message was edited May 15, 2011 8:54 PM
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 15, 2011
7:15 PM

Post #8565649

Nice everyone! Where do you guys get your fancier mints?

Added a few more mints:
dark green/red peppermint and spearmint
Ginger mint - nursery found me two plants
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

May 15, 2011
7:22 PM

Post #8565671

Some of the nurseries around here are beginning to get some different mints in. I ordered some on Ebay last year, can't remember the seller's name. But they were teeny tiny, just a rooted sprig. I think I paid $5 each for them and I was so disappointed. Of course they died promptly.

I'd love to trade some of my mints for some unusual basils. Are there any hardy basils? I grew three or four different ones last year but they died over winter. My oregano is still going though. I only have sweet basil and Italian basil. Does anyone have any cinnamon, lemon or purple basils? I've got mints! :-)
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

May 15, 2011
7:30 PM

Post #8565690

I purchased many of mine from kathy_ann here on DG. She was having a sale on the classified a few years ago. I don't know if she still sells them or not. They were excellent!

Tikipod, I would be up for a trade for some of mine, but it's going to have to be in the fall. I have a business and spring is for digging irises. But let me know if you would like to trade then :)
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 15, 2011
7:31 PM

Post #8565692

Butterfly youd love my window sill. I have 12 basil plants there and all but two I grew from seed. I'm germinating a bunch more seeds now hehe.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

May 15, 2011
7:35 PM

Post #8565711

Mmmmm, tikipod, are you gonna share? What kind are you growing? I have seeds for lemon, cinnamon, and lime I think, but no time to bother with them this year. If I send you some, can you start me some to send back to me with our trade next month? Of course you can keep most of what you start; I just need a 3 or 4 of each kind. Interested?
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 15, 2011
7:36 PM

Post #8565714

Sounds good pollyk. Hopefully I'll have both ginger and banana mint to share.

I wish I could ID this new spearmint. I've never seen dark green before. i thought it was that dark green peppermint mislabeled because my sniffer was out at the time. Snapped some runners off for a friend and it was the strongest spearmint I've ever smelled
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

May 15, 2011
7:37 PM

Post #8565718

Wonderful, I would love some of each of those. Will you remember to contact me, or how shall we work it?
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 15, 2011
7:53 PM

Post #8565752

PollyK My memory is horrible but I'll try to remember. I'll use the power of post-its and tradetracker to remind me lol. If the nursery can't find Banana Mint I plan to order it online.

Oh Butterfly, I don't think I have a lot of Basil seeds ... I certainly don't have a problem with basil (or an addiction or anything ...) lol Here is what I have:

Seed - Sweet Basil, Genovese, Mammoth, Dark Opal, Purple Ruffles, Red Rubin, Mrs Burns Lemon, Lemon, Summerlong, Cinnamon, Thai, Siam Queen, Lemon-Lime Mix, Purple Basil, Fineleaf Dwarf Bush, Spicy Globe Bush, Pistou, Greek Miniature and Podster's Flea Market Basil
Plants - Magic Mountain and Floral Spires Lavender

Thumbnail by tikipod

ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

May 15, 2011
7:58 PM

Post #8565761

OMG, girl! Now I'll have to find something to trade you for some of that! LOL Holy Moly, I bet your window sill smells divine!
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

May 16, 2011
4:40 AM

Post #8566102

Thanks, Tikipod.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 16, 2011
5:23 AM

Post #8566185

Ahhh ~ y'all are going to create a monster here in the ButterflyChaser. She does not have a chance... doomed. LOL

I had been entertained following this minty thread. I don't have any exotic mints but was enjoying following all of your mint lusts.
I do also like the basils. Of course not to the extreme that Tikipod does. 8 )

If there is a perennial basil, I would think the flea market basil would be close to it. The stem gets woody with age. In a milder climate it probably would come back from roots. I may try leaving one in the ground this winter to see.

It has a sweet clove like fragrance and it most closely resembles the African blue basil. Tikipod pointed out that African blue is sterile but these seeds germinate. Basils are prone to intermingle freely. These seeds may well have evolved to the flea market basil. It has pretty purple tinged foliage with pretty purple blooms too.

I started Pistou seed saved from last year and as the plants are leafing out, I see a few of the plants have leaves that are marginally larger than the original pistou. Same delightful taste just slightly different in appearance. Another basil perversion.

Anyway, I still have some seed left if anyone has an urge for basils...

I am a touchy, feely, smelling gardener and this year have a rootbeer agastache that make my tastebuds water as I think of a large frosty mug. Life in the garden is good!

ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

May 16, 2011
7:44 AM

Post #8566519

Now Pod, if you can get into basils, I think mints are the next step for you. What do you say, Ladies? We can't let her sit over there content in her mintless paradise, can we?? We've really got to infect her!!

Basils are wonderful, there's no doubt about it. I think cinnamon basil is my very favorite. I buy it every year, but this year I can't find it. I have seeds, but no time to baby them. But mints are wonderful too, Pod. OMG there are so many varieties and each smells different. I'm not sure I could pick a favorite. Chocolate is definitely on top of the list (says the chocoholic). Orange and Lavender mints are amazing too! Margarita is nice, and the fruity ones make me crave a fruit smoothie.

And for someone who loves the fragrance in the garden, nothing is better than mint...except maybe cinnamon basil. LOL Just brush by the plants and you can release their fragrances. Think of all the teas, smoothies, and exotic drinks you could make with different mints.

That rootbeer agastache sounds delicious. Do you really make rootbeer with it?
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 16, 2011
8:32 AM

Post #8566754

Basil seeds germinate quickly ~ plant them ~ FAST! lol
I agree on the cinnamon basil but this year, licorice basil is bumping my favorite spot. It smells even better if you love all things licorice (and I do).

I don't think a person actually does anything with the rootbeer agastache except sniff it and enjoy the blooms. Mine hasn't blossomed yet.

I have an assortment of the common mints. Also have had orange and pineapple and apple and... I agree, I do like them but am not a big chocolate fan. Now plain vanilla mint might appeal to me. Is there such a critter?

tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 16, 2011
8:49 AM

Post #8566792

*whines* I can't find root beer agastache locally!! OK I'm done whining lol.

Technically Basil and Agastache ARE in the Lamiaceae 'Mint' family.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 16, 2011
10:26 AM

Post #8566948

Another one that is kinfolk that I love ~ lemon balm.

Patience *whines*, if I can harvest seed, I will share.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

May 16, 2011
1:12 PM

Post #8567337

Yep, I love lemon balm too and have a huge stand of it. I love knocking it around to stir up the scent.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 16, 2011
1:22 PM

Post #8567356

And yours is perennial? Or does it reseed?
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

May 16, 2011
1:49 PM

Post #8567409

Both. It returns from root and starts new plants from seeds. So one clump of it is now huge and wonderful and there are little seedlings popping up here and there which I give away. Do you need some, Pod?
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 16, 2011
2:07 PM

Post #8567443

No ~ thanks. I keep a pot of lemon balm. Potted is easier for me to provide moisture and I move it into the GH in winter.

Please, keep trying to tempt me. I don't have a ton of herbs but have been growing them for a while. 8 )

bariolio

bariolio
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 22, 2011
8:47 AM

Post #8579348

Well, I did it. I could not resist any longer! Someone gave a link to Richter's and I ended up ordering banana mint and "Candy Lime" mint, among other items. I had to pare down my list when I went to check out and saw the shipping charge! I'm also excited about the rainbow chard seeds--so beautiful! Now I'll have to decide where I'm going to put my new plants. I was gone for 4 days and my choc mint in the hanging basket didn't get watered. It was VERY sad when I got home. We need to organize some plant sitter swaps! Maybe I'll do that in the Houston area...
Tikipod--dark green and red mints? That sounds beautiful. Can you post a picture?
PollyK--my initial order contained lots of the same mints as you listed. Maybe I'll collect them a little at a time, so as to be affordable! I want the all the fruit scents and cotton candy and other candy ones!
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 22, 2011
8:49 AM

Post #8579354

You want more chocolate mints, bariolio? I just had to trim mine, so...
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

May 22, 2011
9:56 AM

Post #8579454

Barilio, if you let me know which ones you got, and give me a yell in the fall, I'll see if there are any I have that you don't, and you can have them for postage.

bariolio

bariolio
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 23, 2011
1:57 PM

Post #8582443

Thanks for the offer, KyWoods. The choc mint is recovering! It'll just need to be watered every day until it gets cool again.
PollyK, I just ordered the banana mint and candy lime mint for now. I also have the choc mint and pineapple and spearmint. Thanks for offering to share this fall. I'll let ya know!
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 23, 2011
3:15 PM

Post #8582621

My fingers smell like chocolate-pepper-spear-pineapple mint from picking aphids off my mint collection.

To all those who own applemint, does it come up curly? I received several types of mint runners in a swap and they are all starting to really grow. Most look and smell fine but half of the applemints are curly leaves, much like curly mint.
LadyAshleyR
Oakland, MD

May 23, 2011
4:36 PM

Post #8582737

For some reason I thought I recalled seeing a file for "curly apple mint" but I can't find it now.
None of my apple mint is curly.

This message was edited May 23, 2011 6:37 PM
SoFlaCommercial
West Palm Beach, FL
(Zone 10b)

October 17, 2011
8:49 PM

Post #8853484

howdy!

I bought some spearmint from my local nursery. think it was a bonnie plant spearmint. It is variegated color. really pretty. have it in a small coir/wire hanging basket. doesn't seem as perky as the lemon balm i put in a different coir/wire hanging basket. will probably get more mints as i come by them. store really didn't have much.

where do i find all these cool chocolate/orange/apple mints and stuff? awesome!
LadyAshleyR
Oakland, MD

October 18, 2011
5:00 AM

Post #8853697

i got mine through trades XD.
Bonnie plants just seems to be the name of your distributor.
Thuvia
Macon, GA
(Zone 8a)

December 1, 2011
7:25 AM

Post #8912390

Hey everybody --

I really enjoyed reading this thread - what a wonderful world of mint and basil!

I recently moved to a new house and am basically starting with a blank slate (nifty, huh?). I was wonderng with all the mints -- do you have problems keeping them in bounds / under control? At my old place I had a huge pot for peppermint (which did not make the move) because I'd been warned not to put it in the ground.

What do you experts think? Thanks!
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 1, 2011
7:30 AM

Post #8912395

My chocolate mint choked out my spearmint, so I learned to keep it in the bed by itself and keep it trimmed. The trimmings make their way into my coffee and hot chocolate, so it's worth it!
SoFlaCommercial
West Palm Beach, FL
(Zone 10b)

December 1, 2011
9:35 AM

Post #8912521

I've been keeping my spearmint (don't know what kind - it was just at my local big box nursery), lemon balm, and chocolate mint in separate containers, but looks like I'm losing all of them...even though the containers are not all that deep, no chance of wet feet, etc.

Think I could put them in a 'living wall' project?

...mints are perennials, right? I'm fearful to put them in the ground; they'd take over...
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 1, 2011
10:47 AM

Post #8912574

Yes, they do come back every year with no problem, even here.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 1, 2011
11:58 AM

Post #8912636

If they've been in their pots for a year or more, chances are they are overcrowded and need to be repotted, maybe divided if you're going to put them back into the same pots.

I have a couple of mints in 12 inch and even 18 inch pots... and they still get too crowded and start dying out (especially in the middle).. when you unpot them, you'll probably see roots & stems circling around & around the edge of the pot.
SoFlaCommercial
West Palm Beach, FL
(Zone 10b)

December 1, 2011
12:15 PM

Post #8912660

no - i put mine in pots when they're tiny, but they're not even growing into their pots - they poop out and die. :(
LadyAshleyR
Oakland, MD

December 1, 2011
12:18 PM

Post #8912669

What kind of medium are you growing them in?
You live in florida, so making sure they aren't getting too hot around the roots is a priority, and also letting them dry out between watering.
But you also want a soil that's going to hold in SOME moisture.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 1, 2011
12:24 PM

Post #8912675

OK, so go the other way... if you have a 2" pot with a "starter" plant, first pot it into a 6 inch pot and up-pot once it has filled that pot. How are they "pooping out?" wilting? browning?

What kind of pot are you using? A dark pot, especially in the sun, might just be getting too hot. Try putting them in a less sunny spot... "full sun" for people further north is probably like "part shade" in FL to many plants. Check them by sticking your finger into the soil mix before you water... as LadyA said, they won't like being bone dry for too long, but they don't love being waterlogged either. I like adding a pinch of polymer moisture crystals to soil-less potting mix, sort of evens out the moisture levels and lets me go a little longer between waterings.

ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

December 2, 2011
5:39 AM

Post #8913475

I've lost all the mints I had in pots. It just gets too dry in the summer here and I don't have time to go out and water regularly. So I do put my mints in ground. However, I "build" a bed for them.

I don't have a picture but I'll try to describe what I do. I get two of those corner scalloped landscaping edging "bricks"--those concrete things that people edge beds with. You know, they're scalloped and are generally straight, but you need the corner pieces to turn corners. Two or four of the corner pieces make great beds for mint. Use two of them to form a small square or 4 to make a larger square.

Then I line the ground and the sides of the bricks with an old plastic soil bag. I used to throw them away, but they are thicker than the black garbage bags. So they are great for this project. Then I add soil and the mint. This setup will generally last a couple of years before the mint starts escaping. When it begins escaping, then it is time to share your mint with the rest of us. LOL
LadyAshleyR
Oakland, MD

December 2, 2011
8:19 AM

Post #8913614

For those of you in hot places have you tried Soil Moist? (or similar product)
It's wicked nice. Makes it so you don't have to worry about things getting so dry when it's crazy hot out.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 2, 2011
10:46 AM

Post #8913761

Yep, Soil Moist is one brand of polymer moisture crystals... if you're using them in quantity, try watersorb.org for good prices on quantities from 2 pounds to 50... and yes, I've gone through 50 by splitting them with several friends, but it was still a several years' supply!

For anybody not familiar with them, I wrote an article on the polymer crystals a while back... the photos show the importance of not using them too generously! LOL http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1092/
LadyAshleyR
Oakland, MD

December 2, 2011
12:16 PM

Post #8913836

Hahaha I accidentally doubled the amount in a basket while working this last year. I guess I went off and did something, and came back and had forgotten I'd already done it.
Needless to say, the plant was not too happy, despite the rest of the display looking amazing.
Boy did I get a surprise when I stuck my hands in the dirt! lol
I also heard a good story from the nursery supervisor, where they had done some landscaping for someone at some point, and someone decided that to plant the trees with a generous amount of soil moist.
After water was added the crystals expanded into masses of jelly all over the ground, and the trees were practically floating in jelly! lol
But back on topic, when I was growing my mints indoors, they didnt do too well in soil moist. But I live in a much cooler climate than arizona or florida!!! =D
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 2, 2011
1:39 PM

Post #8913952

I've never had much luck with mints indoors... always seem to peter out after a while, even under lights... maybe I was keeping them too moist or not letting them get dry enough between waterings.
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

March 20, 2012
7:48 AM

Post #9050002

Joining in late -- I have a very healthy apple mint and spearmint, and a couple others that are currently struggling to get established. I am planting them between our barn and gravel driveway, to (a) soften the edge of the barn, and (b) give the mint a place to run yet be controlled by the traffic on the driveway. I tend to forget about the new starts and often lose them to not enough watering their first year. Once they do get established, they do great.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 4, 2012
5:27 PM

Post #9110755

Just added in my container garden - Banana, Pear and Lavender Mint. I can confirm that the first and the last really do smell like the name. Pear ... meh, can't tell.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 4, 2012
6:26 PM

Post #9110841

Did you find them locally or online?

bariolio

bariolio
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 4, 2012
9:06 PM

Post #9110998

I thought my banana mint had mostly died over the winter but it's come back nicely and now has a couple of little lavender pom pom flowers of some of the stalks. I had planted a spearmint in the basket with it in case it didn't make it. Now I'll have to repot the spearmint or it will take over and kill the banana mint. It did that to an orange mint one year--big bully! Lavender mint sounds wonderful!
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

May 5, 2012
5:27 AM

Post #9111205

Lavender mint is awesome. I bought some from Richter's or FragrantFields last year. Ooooh, it just smells divine!! Orange is another new favorite I've aquired.

My spice mint is the thug this year. I haven't really thinned it out in a couple of years and it really loves the spot it's in. My tall daylilies are hidden, so I'm going to have to do something with the spice mint. Everyone I've given it to is loving. They're supposed to give me recipes they use it in, so I'm waiting.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 5, 2012
8:44 AM

Post #9111387

KyWoods I found them on eBay. dogwooderitternet had the banana and mybuckeyefarms had the other two. I received an eBay card from my Dad and went a bit wild lol.

All that survived last year was Pineapple Mint, Orange Mint and Applemint. The issue was pots I think. These three were in 8-10 inch bone colored pots while my others were in 6-8 cheapo green pots. I even lost peppermint and spearmint!!

I've added the three mentioned above and peppermint. Looking to add Kentucky Colonel, chocolate mint and maybe a couple other fancy mints. I will not be adding ginger mint - did not care for it.

Side note: I am looking for Kentucky because it's supposedly "improved spearmint." The regular spearmints in a local garden center have this smell that smells like exhaust, gas or oil. I can't put my finger on it but it's disgusting. The nursery hasn't gotten theirs in or I missed it, so I'm not sure if it's just this one store.

This message was edited May 5, 2012 7:46 AM
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

May 5, 2012
10:30 AM

Post #9111479

I'm surprised you don't like the ginger mint. It's one of my favorites. It's also the last one to appear in spring. Each year, I think I've lost it, and then finally it surfaces. I love the smell of it.

I have silver mint and just don't like it. I didn't like apple mint either. I let that one die. I keep trying it give all the silver mint away, but more just pops up.

I have two mints that I've lost the tags for and my mint expert friend couldn't ID them, and I think I got them from her years ago. So I'll have to keep buying mints until I find some that match these two so I know what I have.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 5, 2012
10:59 AM

Post #9111513

Thanks for the sources, tikipod.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 5, 2012
11:27 AM

Post #9111537

ButterflyChaser - I don't necessarily dislike it but I was disappointed it had no ginger smell. It did sell quite well at the nursery that ordered it in for me.

bariolio

bariolio
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 5, 2012
12:23 PM

Post #9111586

Tikipod, I have choc. mint and I LOVE it! Choc. mint is one of my taste addictions! I eat a sugar free choc mint snowball (we call them snowballs in S. Louisiana!) with a splash of milk every night lately. Few calories, great dessert!
I would be happy to root any of my mints for anyone and mail them when they are full of roots. Just let me know... Janet
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 5, 2012
3:20 PM

Post #9111750

I'm originally from New Orleans, and I remember getting spearmint snowballs, which were my favorite. You can't get that flavor here!

This message was edited May 5, 2012 8:33 PM
LadyAshleyR
Oakland, MD

May 5, 2012
3:54 PM

Post #9111779

I would love a recipe if someone can tell me how to make them i'd be interested =D
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 5, 2012
5:39 PM

Post #9111926

Chocolate mint was one of the ones that didn't survive. I was so disappointed but the nursery will get them in eventually. I have a gift card for the local store so if THEY have it I'll be buying it and I know they have Kentucky.

I can't wait until these new mints get big enough. I want to see some to my best friend.

bariolio

bariolio
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 5, 2012
8:58 PM

Post #9112163

KyWoods, DELICIOUS! My fav growing up. Then I got stuck on strawberry with sweetened condensed milk--DANGEROUSLY good! But I'm off sugar now.
Back to mint--I never thought about using the mint to make a syrup. Hmmm. I don't have a recipe. I just buy Monin SF Choc. syrup and Torani SF Peppermint. Tonight I'm having SF Caramel with milk. Goodnight!!

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 6, 2012
8:17 AM

Post #9112549

I agree about the chocolate mint ... and also Mojito Mint. Love that in sun tea. I'm addicted. ♥♥♥

I keep cuttings handy in a jar by the kitchen sink just to rub and sniff. :-)

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener

tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 6, 2012
3:09 PM

Post #9112937

I want to use Lavender Mint in my lavender tea :D
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 8, 2012
2:21 PM

Post #9116071

Lavender mint does sound nice! Two that I'll look for again sometime are 'Marshmallow Mint' and 'Jessie's Sweet Pear', both of which had mild flavor and a light sweet scent (yes, like a whiff from a freshly opened bag of marshmallows and a ripe pear, respectively). I loved the soft leaves on the sweet pear mint, also.

Kentucky Colonel Spearmint is definitely better than "generic" spearmints -- none of that harsh resinous note that some seem to have. Similarly, I like Chocolate Peppermint better than most "peppermint."

And a glass of mint cuttings by the fridge is great to have... a little sprig in the bottom of a glass of ice water is nice, too.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 25, 2012
3:33 PM

Post #9138559

No mints, tho usually I have spearmint and choco- or pineapple- mine last abt 2 years and I clean out the planter and have to start over, but for 2 years they grow Everywhere! Do have basils! Sweet, compact box sweet, blue African, lime, spicy globe( the bees adore this one), and red leaf( perilla) I keep thinned to 2 plants, hmm, am missing one somewhere, grew cinnamon last year, but most of the stuff died in our heat zone. I like pennyroyal mint, tho I don't have that one either.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 27, 2012
7:19 PM

Post #9141095

Going to use the Oregano-Thyme Mint with Rosemary and Garlic to make a dipping oil. Also thought of using the Pineapple mint to make a flavored honey.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 28, 2012
10:14 AM

Post #9141782

Mmmm, yummy ideas!

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 28, 2012
8:55 PM

Post #9142595

Another DG friend alerted me to the possible hazards of using garlic in flavored oils - thought I should share http://www.ext.colostate.edu/safefood/newsltr/v2n4s08.html
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 29, 2012
9:14 AM

Post #9143190

Wow, good to know, thanks for sharing it!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 29, 2012
10:28 PM

Post #9187072

bump - just found you all...
I have chocolate and spearmint in my garden, and they grow sooooo wild! They over-winter beautifully.
I dry them and use for whatever strikes my fancy at the time... I also use fresh mint in my tea infuser. yummmmmy
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 30, 2012
12:16 PM

Post #9187614

Do you dry them before using them in the infuser, Tallulah?

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 30, 2012
12:25 PM

Post #9187629

Nope - put them in fresh. I know it takes more mint when fresh, but I Have So Much lol
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 30, 2012
3:12 PM

Post #9187869

Yep, there is never just a little, is there? lol Thanks!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 30, 2012
3:17 PM

Post #9187872

You're welcome!

Susan

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 30, 2012
4:39 PM

Post #9187965

Yummy in sun tea or lemonade as well!!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 30, 2012
6:13 PM

Post #9188088

absolutely, Chantell!
Although we don't normally make sun tea, we have it's equivalent - Iced Tea ^_^

bariolio

bariolio
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 2, 2012
8:09 AM

Post #9189809

I know what you mean about never having just a little mint (unless it's one of the few wimpy ones!). All of mine are potted, either as hanging baskets or buried in my herb garden. I just repotted one of the hanging because I couldn't keep it hydrated. Come to find out it was totally root bound--i couldn't even see any soil left! I need to repot others but I think I'll just have to use about 1/4 of the plant to stay ahead of it! I hate throwing away plants but I just can't use this much mint! Guess I'll strip the mint from what I don't need and make some teas or maybe try to freeze it? I know! I'll put it in some vodka and maybe that could be used like extract!
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

July 2, 2012
12:36 PM

Post #9190145

WOW! And I constantly have to buy more mint plants. They just dont do well here with our intense heat and scorching sun. I've tried it in pots, and they last a month or so, but then just slowly begin to wither away to nothing. And I LOVE mint! Just wish I didn't have to constantly spend money on it!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

July 2, 2012
1:13 PM

Post #9190198

Well, I guess it loves the colder climate, cuz it grows wild here...

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 2, 2012
2:28 PM

Post #9190304

Spearmint grew year round next to a gorgeous burnt orange old fashioned mum outside my grandmothers front door in Belen, NM when I was a child, hot there, ice in winter, full shade planted- maybe southerners need to treat it like a full shade plant?
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

July 2, 2012
2:53 PM

Post #9190332

I'm not giving up! I want mint to grow for me so badly! I use in in cooking, drinks, etc...so buying it at the store over and over, simply makes no sense. And I can't believe what they charge you for 3 sprigs, when everyone else says it's invasive...go figure! :)

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 2, 2012
6:06 PM

Post #9190569

Try growin it in like a raised bed, or one of those tiered strawberry planters so their feet drain when it rains- and mix your soul with half bag mix of a planting medium- full sun, Fl has dried up somewhat since I was down there watching my bath towel turn green, grow legs and walk away 3 hrs later( late 80's) chuckl,

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

July 2, 2012
7:11 PM

Post #9190634

I have mine growing in 2 spots - full shade (tiny plants, don't get big... but keep on trying!) and full sun (can't stop it overgrowing everything in the flower garden!!)

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 3, 2012
6:34 PM

Post #9191988

MM have you tried growing it beneath another taller plant - i.e. Rosemary? Or even the semi-shade of a larger potted plant?

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

July 3, 2012
6:36 PM

Post #9191992

how tall does Rosemary grow????

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 3, 2012
6:37 PM

Post #9191994

LOL good question - I 'prune' mine multiple times each year and mine is 5' tall

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

July 3, 2012
6:48 PM

Post #9192007

5 FT tall?!?! holy cow... but that would be because it's a perennial, right? Sure wouldn't be one here... or maybe it would. I'm going to check the Herbs forum to see about Rosemary...

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 3, 2012
7:08 PM

Post #9192028

Susan - I'm not sure that you have any hardy to your zone :( I've had mine since buying it at Walmart (Bonnie's herbs) about years ago

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

July 3, 2012
7:12 PM

Post #9192031

Gonna check anyway, and see - after all, Mint is hardy to zone 3, and I'm zone 3b
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

July 4, 2012
4:39 AM

Post #9192388

Now my Rosemary does well in Florida! It's probably a 3 foot x foot bush! I'm going to try again with the mint. Is there one that does better than others? I've usually tried the exotic flavors, instead of plain'ol'mint...

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

July 4, 2012
9:55 PM

Post #9193471

I grow chocolate mint, spearmint and peppermint - Chocolate mint does very well in my zone 3b, south facing.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

July 5, 2012
9:12 AM

Post #9193889

Normal soil moisture, or does it need to be wetter than that?

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 5, 2012
1:17 PM

Post #9194198

Flavors are stronger if soil stays drier, but a normal moisture is ok

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

July 5, 2012
9:37 PM

Post #9194843

we don't have "normal moisture" here - very dry climate, and clay soil...
Think "Arizona"!! We have the "Badlands" here - dessert climate.

This message was edited Jul 5, 2012 9:38 PM
nikkers390
Fort Myers, FL

September 12, 2012
10:49 AM

Post #9273136

I am starting a garden this fall and in the process of buying seeds.
One of the items have proven very ellusive. Does anybody have any seeds or cutting or starts of Curly mint aka Moroccan mint aka Mentha spicata crispa?
Any help would sure be appreciated.
Thanks
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 12, 2012
8:57 PM

Post #9273657

Unfortunately, I lost mine a couple years ago during a summer when containers were neglected. It's hard to kill mint, but I did it. I was just thinking that was one thing I'd be looking for at DeBaggio's this coming spring (didn't get down there this year)... so if you haven't found any by March/April, let me know. DeBaggio's doesn't do mail order, but I'll ship to you, cost of plant plus postage shouldn't be more than maybe $10 since I'm sure it can go first class (under 13 oz) or in the $5 mini-box. I'm a good packer, so I could probably fit a bonus mint or two from my garden, too...

Curly Mint is also known as "Doublemint," and it does have the clean, freh
But any organization in my life is mostly pretense these days (my daughter and I just have too much fun together; we worry about as few details as possible LOL)... so, you will have to remind me please, possibly more than once. Thanks!
edenmaker
Woodland Hills, CA

September 18, 2012
5:08 PM

Post #9279329

I have spearmint, chocolate mint and peppermint planted in a two tier container garden. I designed it for a garden video series called, "Way to Grow" aimed at beginner gardeners.
Here's a photo and a link to the video called, "Cocktail Gardening: Grow Mint, Basil and Cilantro."
Hope you like it!

Shirley Bovshow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCUnYdqwj3U&feature=share&list=UUDsRDw0U4737-nbiuspjlRA

Thumbnail by edenmaker

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 18, 2012
8:13 PM

Post #9279528

Shirley - LOVE it!!! After all these years of gardening...why didn't I think of moss for a top dressing?! What kind do you use and can it be found at the big box stores?
edenmaker
Woodland Hills, CA

September 20, 2012
6:19 PM

Post #9281525

HI Chantell. Thanks for watching and commenting! I use regular sphagnum moss and buy it at my local garden center. I've seen bags of it at HD but I need LARGE bags and they don't carry them.
I like to top my containers with it because it gives it a finished look and provides the moisture protection the herbs need.

Nola_Nigella

Nola_Nigella
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

May 15, 2013
1:41 PM

Post #9521770

Just to bump this back up - of all the silly things, my regular mint (and chocolate mint) got chomped to the nub by one determined wooly caterpillar. I'd be happy to trade or SASE if anyone has a few mints to spare. Thank you!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 15, 2013
3:55 PM

Post #9521896

If roots remain, you'll have mint again. :-)

Nola_Nigella

Nola_Nigella
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

May 15, 2013
3:56 PM

Post #9521899

I'm sure it'll come back, it's just taking its sweet time, for once! :)

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 15, 2013
5:47 PM

Post #9522038

yes, mint will come back - it's almost invasive... well, actually it IS lol
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 15, 2013
5:50 PM

Post #9522046

I have several different mints growing against the side of my barn with our gravel driveway butting right up to them, so they don't really have a chance to take over the world as they would like. To somewhat try to keep them identified, I put labels on flat round river rocks tucked up against each type. Any other stake type of labeling would likely get demolished by the traffic, as this is at the turn of a round-about. So far, so good, and I like the rather unkempt look of the mints against the old barn wood.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 15, 2013
8:14 PM

Post #9522181

I grew Peppermint back in the 70's always had a very nice stand , never have gotten it to grow since . lol
Mints I have
Korean mint
Spearmint
Chocolate Mint .
I will try more as time goes on , Have used several for tea or digestive aids in the past , Wonderful herb , the mints ..

bariolio

bariolio
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 18, 2013
10:39 AM

Post #9524949

Man, I just gave away tons of mints from dividing my hanging baskets! Wish I'd known because our family lives in NO and we visit regularly. I think we'll be back for 4th of July so if you still need some mints, I can bring you cuttings then. Just let me know! I have spear, choc, candy lime, orange, pineapple (finicky), and "regular" mint. You can DG message me.
Janet

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 18, 2013
11:02 AM

Post #9524964

orange and pineapple? never heard of that b4...
too bad I'm in a diff country, I could really use some... surely there's some available here - I grow chocolate and peppermint here - grows wild lol
great for tea and cooking, f'sure!

bariolio

bariolio
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 18, 2013
8:44 PM

Post #9525398

Dang if I won't be coming to Calgary in early August!! But I doubt I can bring plants into Canada. Oh well...We'll be going to Moraine Lake Lodge to celebrate our 35th anniversary :)

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 18, 2013
10:39 PM

Post #9525450

You're coming to Calgary in August? Really? kewl!!
What a lovely way to spend your 35th Anniversary!
Do you suppose we could meet for coffee or lunch, or something? I would Love to meet someone from DG that doesn't already live in Calgary lol
I've met a few here, but none from US or further away in Canada...

bariolio

bariolio
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 23, 2013
5:56 PM

Post #9531720

We're not actually staying there, just flying in, getting our rental car and going onto the resort. You're welcomed to visit us in Houston, though! Come down for our Fall Roundup get together out in the country. :)

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 24, 2013
7:11 AM

Post #9532287

lol visit Houston, eh? Well, would love to, but know it's not going to happen...

Well, best get offline, and get packed for camping - going to pick Bob up this aft, from work, then into the motorhome and we're OFF!!
Will be back sometime Sunday.

It's raining now, and promises to rain HARD this weekend, where we're going. Heck, it's raining here, now... good thing Bob brought the motorhome next to the house, so I can load it easily.
Now, to put a raincoat on and gather stuff together lol

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Herbs Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
HERB COLD REMEDY jcf 25 Oct 3, 2009 3:18 AM
lemon verbena? laylarose 13 Jan 25, 2008 2:03 AM
Artemesia absinthium- common wormwood balvenie 14 Dec 31, 2007 6:44 PM
Rosemary Minihostalover 48 May 31, 2008 12:53 PM
Echinacea ... what to do with it anyone? IO1 46 Aug 8, 2009 7:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America