-
AuthorContent
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 28, 2011
11:59 AM

Post #8526448

Some of you may remember about 5 years ago the time I sprayed my Dbl. Blue Picotee plant with Messenger. There happened to be a bud on the plant that would open the next day. What bloomed was something very alien and subsequent blooms were just as weird. In order to save some of the mutant genes, the only other MG I had growing was Minibar Rose. I was only able to get 3 seeds.

For those who might be interested in reading about it, here are the links:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/606218/

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/607950/

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/607268/

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/643338/

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/655277/

This year I'm growing out some of the F2 and for the first time F3 Seeds. Here is what's happening.

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Click the image for an enlarged view.

nifty413
Garland, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 28, 2011
3:21 PM

Post #8526813

Fascinating and lovely!
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

April 28, 2011
6:25 PM

Post #8527258

X,

That's rather interesting what you are getting in blooms with the F3 vines! What do the leaves look like on them?
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 28, 2011
6:57 PM

Post #8527327

I'll get some pictures of the leaves tomorrow.
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 29, 2011
10:29 AM

Post #8528427

Today's F2

WOW! I don't think I've ever seen this before!

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum

patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 29, 2011
1:40 PM

Post #8528712

Lovely and interesting blooms X.
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 29, 2011
2:17 PM

Post #8528781

Thanks! I love getting up in the morning just to see what bloomed! This last one was amazing!
MGMan
Norfolk, VA

April 29, 2011
4:57 PM

Post #8529057

X- nice crosses and progenies.

This year, I'm attempting an F1 grow-out involving (early call pink x Akatsuki no Umi) x Tie-dye pink. Here is the layout.

Tony

Thumbnail by MGMan

MGMan
Norfolk, VA

April 29, 2011
5:02 PM

Post #8529065

The first cross involves the flowers in the middle and the right in the previous picture. The F1 results are as follows.

Thumbnail by MGMan

MGMan
Norfolk, VA

April 29, 2011
5:09 PM

Post #8529070

The F1 is then crossed with tie-dye pink. Tie-dye pink is the female parent in this case.

X- I can't get over that variation from your F2 results

Thumbnail by MGMan

MGMan
Norfolk, VA

April 29, 2011
5:15 PM

Post #8529081

Here is my 3-way cross in progress. I has the varigated phenotype from mother, tie-dye pink or from grandpa Akatsuki no Umi. It also retains it's ordinary wild leaf phenotype from grandma, early call pink.

Tony

This message was edited Apr 29, 2011 7:21 PM

Thumbnail by MGMan

Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 29, 2011
6:09 PM

Post #8529187

I really love that F1 blue with the scalloped picotee edges! That is definitely a winner!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

April 29, 2011
9:30 PM

Post #8529516

Beautiful and interesting experiments here. I am glad I browsed by, thank you.
FLChilders
Clatskanie, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 3, 2011
5:53 AM

Post #8536429

This seems like it will be a hot one to me. The folliage of minibar ++++ and the size
of minibar ++++ and color varieties ++++ , all rolled into a table top plant. This group has a lot of promise.

If you back cross , you could end up with a show stopping line here. Thanks for the info.
Frank
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 3, 2011
6:40 AM

Post #8536540

Back cross? I'm not familiar with that .. I'm thinking you mean pollinate with one of the original parent plants? If that's the case, I just happen to be growing out some Minibar & Blue Picotee this year!
FLChilders
Clatskanie, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 3, 2011
7:13 AM

Post #8536622

Yes. Sometimes breeders do this to increase the desirable characteristics they get in their grow outs. It sounds like that is what you are doing. My family has numerous plant breeders, and I sometimes get lost with terms like double cross and double back cross, etc. This group looks real promising. Good luck. Frank
MGMan
Norfolk, VA

May 3, 2011
6:00 PM

Post #8537889

Here is an update of my 3-way cross, (early call pink x Akatsuki no Umi) x Tie-dye pink.

Thumbnail by MGMan

MGMan
Norfolk, VA

May 3, 2011
6:11 PM

Post #8537915

Here is an F2 grow-out of another 3-way cross I created involving, (early call pink x early call blue) large-flowered light pink and white blizzard NOID. seedlings just got finished popping up. Progeny = 25 individuals. hopefully everything works out well and I can get a lot of variation like your F2's, X.

Tony

Thumbnail by MGMan

Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

May 4, 2011
8:24 PM

Post #8540521

X, I've got a couple of your crosses growing and hopefully will bloom soon, I'll post the photos here so you can have them added to the growouts.
A.
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 4, 2011
8:33 PM

Post #8540532

X - Do the leaves on those vines look similar? Or are there variations on the foliage, too?
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

May 4, 2011
8:36 PM

Post #8540535

I've got some of X's crosses on my flicker from three years ago, now the leaves on four seeds are all different, one has the variegation and the leaf structure of Mini-bar rose, the other has a little bit of variegation and flat leaves and longer vine, then the third one has solid green leaves, and yet another one has the small crinkled leaves of the platycodon and variegation, so I don't know what they will look like on these ones. The ones I have are F3s now.
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 4, 2011
8:40 PM

Post #8540542

That's really interesting, Antoinette! I wonder if X has had the similar results on her foliage?
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 5, 2011
5:17 AM

Post #8540921

Oddly enough, the leaves on the BPXMB - F2 & F3 were turning a bronze color. The new leaves coming out on both look the normal color. At the moment I'm in between flushes.

These are F2.

This message was edited May 5, 2011 7:17 AM

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

May 5, 2011
5:47 AM

Post #8540970

Very Pretty!
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 5, 2011
10:42 AM

Post #8541579

X - Oh my! That is really neat!!! I wonder what caused those bronze leaves? Beautiful!!! Is the leaf shape the same for the different vines?
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 5, 2011
1:31 PM

Post #8541877

It's basically the same but varies in roundness and points.
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 5, 2011
5:44 PM

Post #8542488

X - Most interesting your cross and the specifics about it! :-)
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 6, 2011
4:07 AM

Post #8543229

Thanks .. in the picture above with the bronze leaves you can see some of the variations I mentioned about roundness and points.
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 7, 2011
8:28 AM

Post #8545578

Well yesterday was apparently exciting and I missed it because it was pouring rain! This morning I discovered an F2 that had split petals .. at first I thought is was just tearing but it appears way too symmetrical for tears (though some of it had torn). This is definitely a Double Blue Picotee trait.

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum

Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 7, 2011
8:35 AM

Post #8545593

Then even a BIGGER surprise was a shredded one .. unfortunately this single plant had lost it's tag so I don't know if it's an F2 or F3 but there are two distinctly different flowers from the same plant. The one on the right is reminiscent of the deformed flower on the parent plant which means the the deformed genes are in the genome!!!!! The one on the left is looks like pure Double Blue Picotee. also on the shredded one I did not see any viable looking pollen on the anthers because it was soaking wet nor could I see anything that looked like a pistil.

This is definitely an F2 - I know because I planted 4 seeds each of the F2 & F3's. After counting plants there were only 3 F2's and this one has to be the 4th.

This message was edited May 10, 2011 11:06 AM

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 7, 2011
9:07 AM

Post #8545657

X - Was the parent plant shredded bloom a bloom that occurred when the plant was a mature plant? I get some really unusual blooms on my vines as the vines age. Especially right before or during their last hurrah before dying. I have found that the shredded blooms are usually sterile. BUT ... you are right about the shredded gene being in the seeds! They can show up at any time from any future vine generations! I look forward to seeing more blooms from those vines! Congrats on getting some unusual flowers!
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 7, 2011
10:00 AM

Post #8545721

The original shredded bloom was from a mature plant and the one that had gotten sprayed with Messenger. The comparison picture was the 2nd shredded bloom and subsequent blooms of which the newly forming buds had been sprayed with the Messenger showed other strange characteristics as well.

I have been growing out the Dbl Blue Picotee for years and though there were odd blooms, nothing ever even came close to looking like the original and 2nd shredded blooms that had been sprayed with Messenger. Not only was the form different but there were color shifts as well. After a month or so, the plant started producing the "normal" blue picotees on the new growth that hadn't been sprayed with Messenger.

I am firmly convinced that the Messenger altered genes since every bud that was present when sprayed ended up with grossly altered flowers not only in form but in color as well. I know that this strain of Dbl Blue Picotee throws mutants, but never EVER on this order .. especially with the color shifts.

Here is a picture the closest thing to the deformed ones but you can see it is clearly different. This one was from seeds from a different plant that never did come in contact with the Messenger.

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 7, 2011
10:17 AM

Post #8545757

X - How interesting that you believe that Messenger has somehow altered the genetics of the flowers on your vines. I've only used Messenger once and didn't see much difference at all, so never thought to use it again. That is very worthy of your experiment alone. Did you get seeds from the mutant blooms at all? Or were those sterile? What exactly is in Messenger, do you know?

I remember Messenger was a big deal a few years ago. But I rarely hear about it now.

The vines that I grew out that started forming the mutant blooms were at the end of the life cycle of one of my vines. (Maybe more ... I don't remember.) I started getting unusual shredded looking blooms, too. I was only using MiracleGro Bloom Booster and well water. Bottom watering them. Almost all the last few blooms on mine were small and mutant. Interesting, indeed!
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 7, 2011
10:36 AM

Post #8545782

The links in the very first post of this thread takes you through the saga.
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 7, 2011
11:02 AM

Post #8545816

I couldn't find the end of the lifecycle bloom photos of my DFNM vine from 2009. But here is a collage showing some of the blooms as the vine aged. The shredded small blooms showed up towards the end of November 2009 before the vine died.

I forgot to say that I still believe these odd blooms may have been caused by the fertilizer. I know people think I am nuts, but I really fertilize my vines to get blooms so that I can hope to get seeds. Tons of blooms and lots of mutants! So if you think your vine blooms were altered by Messenger, then isn't it possible that over-fertilizing could have an affect on them, too?

BTW - Seems the Messenger website no longer exists at the links you has posted in the older threads about this topic. Did they go out of business? This link here says that Messenger has been "discontinued". http://www.gardeningthings.com/organic-natural-fertilizers-biostimulants-c-67/messenger-reg-plant-health-activator-3-pack-12oz-packets-p-196

This message was edited May 8, 2011 3:54 PM

Thumbnail by beckygardener

Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 8, 2011
4:24 PM

Post #8548218

Those are some interesting mutants. As I understand it, Messenger worked on a cellular level with hints in some of the papers I read, on a genetic level and wasn't really a food. I know when I first posted the Messenger Saga threads I was actually contacted by one of their biochemists asking permission to use some of my pictures .. I said yes and never heard anything back from him.

I do not think that over feeding can cause mutant blooms. As you pointed out, it's more likely as the plant aged, errors began to creep into the genome causing the deformations of your flowers. My plant could not have been more than a couple of months old since the original thread was posted in May.

I still have some unopened packets of Messenger sitting around somewhere .. I'm wondering if they are still good or if the material has a short shelf life.
Jiny
Tokyo
Japan
(Zone 10a)

May 8, 2011
6:27 PM

Post #8548528

Now that is an interesting subject! Do fertilizers cause mutant blooms? Personalty I don't think so but they may increase the overall number of blooms therefore giving rise to opportunity?
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

May 8, 2011
7:12 PM

Post #8548673

I think I read somewhere that a company bought out the U.S. company that made messenger, but, don't remember where I read that, maybe on the co-op forum.
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 9, 2011
9:17 AM

Post #8549708

Becky's link explains it all. The bottom line is that Messenger and new product Employ are probably GM plant based products. The fact that Messenger was discontinued makes me go "hmmmmm".
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

May 9, 2011
9:21 AM

Post #8549720

I wonder what happened, I'll tell you what has happened here on our orchards. Four years ago we got 10 pecan trees, very young grafted trees, our neighbor also got about 30 pecan trees the same day, they even helped us put ours in.

I used messenger on ours, they did not, ours are three times the size as theres are today. I am not sure if it was the messenger spraying we did, or the fact that we have a drip system to each tree since we don't have water rights to the irrigation ditch.

I too wonder why it was discontinued, I still have some packets around too. I may try it on some annuals just to see what happens.
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 9, 2011
11:22 AM

Post #8550028

I just wanted to add about my collage of odd blooms ... all those different blooms were on a single vine. Which is what really amazed me! But not totally ...

The reason I wonder about the fertilizer is because I've gotten other really odd blooms on many other vines. I've had color patterns and flower shapes do some really weird things. The only common denominator is the fertilizer. And it usually starts happening during the middle or end of the vine's life cycle. I can't believe that I have been THAT lucky to get so many odd mutant blooms. Maybe on one or two vines, but not as many different ones as I've grown. I've been wondering about this for a couple of years now. But everyone has said no, that it is not likely. What else would cause something like that? I can't believe that I've hit some kind of jackpot with genetically crazy genes from a number of my vines. I just don't believe I've been that lucky. I think something is causing it. My mutant blooms were always completely sterile, too.

It sounds to me like Messenger was discontinued for a reason. Perhaps it was for the very reason that X discovered during her grow-out a few years ago.

X - Were all the blooms on the original vine affected by Messenger? And if so, did you get seeds from any of those blooms? If not, did you only get seeds from unexposed blooms? Were those exposed to Messenger partially or completely sterile?

A - I would guess that your Pecan trees are doing well because of a combo of good irrigation and I know you ... good fertilizer! I know you take really good care of your plants! :-)

This message was edited May 9, 2011 1:26 PM
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

May 9, 2011
12:12 PM

Post #8550155

It could be the miracle grow bloom booster type that is causing some of the mutants, remember that year I got reverse tubes on ALL the morning glory vines, it didn't matter where I purchased them from, wally world or rare types from ebay, they all had reverse tubes and I couldn't figure it out then either.
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 9, 2011
1:29 PM

Post #8550296

The only bloom affected were the ones present at the time of spraying .. things began to normalize after that.
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

May 9, 2011
1:31 PM

Post #8550298

Oh, okay, so I guess our trees are safe, it takes something like 5 to 7 years to get fruit from newly planted trees, so, we have a way's to go yet.
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 9, 2011
2:37 PM

Post #8550423

When I said that I also mean immature buds that were present at the time of spraying. Buds that formed after the ones that had been sprayed matured and bloomed were normal. The degree of weirdness was directly related to how mature the bud was when it was sprayed. That is why I'm sure it was the Messenger that did that.
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

May 9, 2011
3:35 PM

Post #8550563

X,
I think I've got buds on a couple of yours, I'll take photos of the leaves on both types. Most likely tomorrow is when I'll photograph them, recharging batteries now.
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 9, 2011
5:10 PM

Post #8550749

That's great! Can't wait to see them.
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 9, 2011
5:21 PM

Post #8550786

A - I forgot about all those reverse tubes you got! That's what I am talking about ... too many weird blooms not to think something else is going on beside genetics!

X - If you mentioned this somewhere already, excuse me ... did you get any seeds from the mutant blooms?

Is the vine that A is growing, one from your cross?
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 9, 2011
7:12 PM

Post #8551137

No seeds - they either had no anthers or no pistils or if they had them they were immature or pollen not viable, all attempts at hand pollinating them failed. I tried, especially when this guy showed up. It was a real jaw dropper.

A has some F2's I believe.

This message was edited May 9, 2011 9:13 PM

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 9, 2011
7:59 PM

Post #8551235

Oooh! That is a beaut!!!!

Don't ya just hate that? You get some outstanding bloom and darn if the flower isn't sterile! Grrrr ... Happens to me all the time! (sigh)
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 9, 2011
10:15 PM

Post #8551412

X, it's gorgeous

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

May 9, 2011
10:22 PM

Post #8551420

[quote="patootie"]X, it's gorgeous[/quote]

Agreed
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 10, 2011
9:09 AM

Post #8552145

I counted heads and this one is definitely an F2. I find it amazing that two flowers blooming at the same time on the same plant could be so utterly different!!!

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum

patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 10, 2011
11:16 AM

Post #8552364

Exciting to say the least. Sure makes my day, :-)
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 10, 2011
3:33 PM

Post #8552973

X - I had numerous flowers blooming at the same time. Some the usual and others very mutant! What you got is very cool!

Here's a few of my mutant blooms from last year.

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 10, 2011
4:19 PM

Post #8553114

Here's a better picture of the Purple Speckled bloom that was almost solid purple with the white border with purple speckles. I've never seen that happen before! I really think something more than genetics is causing such weird blooms! If I knew for sure, I'd be doing it more often to get more mutants! I just wish I could get seeds from those mutant blooms! But alas, they are always either partially or completely sterile. Such is how it is with mutations... I would sure love to have a whole vine of mutant blooms! :-)

This message was edited May 10, 2011 6:21 PM

Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

May 11, 2011
1:40 PM

Post #8555193

X, I had a pack of each one of the F2s and one of the F3s. I only grew the F2s a couple of years ago, so now they are labeled F3s and I also am growing a couple more of the seeds I had left from the F2s which are labeled F2s, but, to confuse you more, I'm also growing the F3s for the first time. You will notice some differences in the leaves and the plants on all of them.

These are the F3s, one plant on the right looks alot like the Mini Bar Rose with the variegation and the long strap stem, the middle one looks like a Platycodon type leaf/plant very dark green and curled a little, and the third one looks like a mix of both, then there is a very small seedling in the center of all of them with flat leaves.

Thumbnail by Gourd

Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

May 11, 2011
1:43 PM

Post #8555199

This photo is the F2 from the seeds that were left in the package from two years ago. I didn't want the seeds to get too old.

Thumbnail by Gourd

Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

May 11, 2011
1:45 PM

Post #8555202

This one cup has the growout from the F2's which is now F3s and I do have some photos of the first F2s on my flicker, if I can figure out how to copy them and post them here, I will.

Thumbnail by Gourd

Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 12, 2011
10:44 AM

Post #8557908

The variegation is interesting .. it's not really the type of variegation that the MBR has which is more multicolored.

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 12, 2011
11:24 AM

Post #8557955

A - That is interesting what you are getting on those leaves!

The thing I happen to like the most about MBR is the beautiful variegation on the leaves. I am growing a vine right now and it doesn't seem to have a lot of variegation on the leaves yet...

X - Is that photo one of the parent plants?
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 12, 2011
12:33 PM

Post #8558110

Yes, the actual parent plant. It will be interesting to see if the flower form is the MBR or the DBP.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

May 12, 2011
8:39 PM

Post #8559299

that is a beautiful bloom, X...
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 13, 2011
3:41 AM

Post #8559569

Thanks .. I'm growing it again this year for fresh seeds .. I love the predominantly white variegation.
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 13, 2011
4:25 AM

Post #8559620

Those MBR are outstanding! I love the nicely pronounced white border and that foliage is fabulous!!!! Has any of your F1, F2, or F3 shown as much variegation in the leaves?
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 13, 2011
6:02 AM

Post #8559791

I'm seeing variegation on some of my F2's but its not quite as distinct as the MBR to my eyes.

Here is today's F2 - this is on the same plant that produced the shredded one along with the pure DBP. Todays looks like pure DBP with hints of doubling - the modified anthers. I'd really like to see some of the F3's try to double but I have a feeling that doubling might be recessive.

I'm crossing my fingers that I'll get another shredded one and be able to back cross with the MBR.

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 13, 2011
10:53 AM

Post #8560385

With variations you've been getting, I think a double is a possibility! Fingers crossed that you get one! That would really be wonderful! Keep those photos coming! :-)
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

May 19, 2011
8:35 AM

Post #8573621

X, that last one (on May 12, 11:44 AM) pink flowered is outstanding... Very NICE!
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 19, 2011
10:17 AM

Post #8573856

Thanks!

We've had a significant cool down here and nothing is blooming or growing .. been in the low 50's at night!
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 20, 2011
6:00 AM

Post #8575430

Nice surprise today .. 2 F2s!

This first one has the split petals and coloring of a normal DBP mutant. I don't see anything MBR expressed in this one.

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum

Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 20, 2011
6:04 AM

Post #8575438

And the second F2 is DBP with no MBR present.

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum

Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 20, 2011
6:09 AM

Post #8575448

Now an F3! Has the form of the MBR with the color a mixture of both DBP & MBR but with a BLUE pictoee!!

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

May 20, 2011
8:07 PM

Post #8576780

beautiful and interesting at the same time, X..
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 21, 2011
4:50 AM

Post #8577114

Thanks .. I'm loving this myself!
MGMan
Norfolk, VA

May 21, 2011
5:31 PM

Post #8578214

X- I love your F3 with The blue picotee. Spectacular!

Here is my bloom from F1,(Akatsuki no Umi x Early call pink) x Tie-dye pink, with the white picotee from dad, Akatsuki no Umi x Early call pink with a hint of streaking from tie-dye pink. Mainly the same flower phenotype as dad, It converted to pink instead of blue. This may have happened during crossing- over in meiosis to get a phenotype from grandma, Early call pink.

Thumbnail by MGMan

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

May 21, 2011
5:32 PM

Post #8578218

mm thats purty too
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 21, 2011
8:14 PM

Post #8578507

Thanks .. just wish they were stable!
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 21, 2011
9:04 PM

Post #8578598

X - Awesome the blooms you are getting! I really like the split petals and coloring of a normal DBP mutant!!! That is quite lovely! Actually, they ALL are! That's interesting that the leaf-shape is staying somewhat consistent, though it looks like the texture of the leaves is somewhat different on some of the vines! Great cross experiment/growout and also wonderful documentation & photos of them all!
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 22, 2011
5:25 AM

Post #8578998

Thanks! Only 1 plant of the 4 F2's has the total variegation of leaves like the MBR. The rest are more like hints .. the variegation gene is only partially turned on I think.
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 22, 2011
12:40 PM

Post #8579778

I've put together another picture of the all the F2's & F3's to date.

Here is a link for a 4 meg picture of the one below.

http://www.xeramtheum.com/DBPXMBR__F2_F3_5-22-11.jpg

It didn't really dawn on me until I was putting this together, but the top two F3's with the blue picoteed edge look like the plant might be stable!

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 31, 2011
10:34 AM

Post #8599374

X - Love the photo documentation! Interesting that only 1 has the variegated leaves. Must be a recessive gene!
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

June 3, 2011
10:10 AM

Post #8606171

I haven't posted for awhile because every thing is starting to look alike for a lot of plants. Here are some F2's from 3 different plants, solid AND variegated leaves!

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum

Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

June 3, 2011
10:15 AM

Post #8606175

Here are more F2's a bit different but flowers very similar to one another .. It's looking like as the plants mature they are "settling down" and variation is lessening. Though the single F2 that is planted alone is starting to consistently put out double split petals! All the doubles you see are from the same plant and I've back crossed a few with the MBR. All the doubles have pistils but no anthers. I'm also growing a Double Blue Picotee this year and will start back crossing with it as soon as it decides to flower and has pollen.

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum

patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 3, 2011
12:32 PM

Post #8606395

I am very partial to the Dbl Blue Picotee X, it's a beauty.
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

June 3, 2011
1:24 PM

Post #8606505

It certainly is .. the thing about the DBP line is that it doesn't consistently put out doubles - more often than not you'll get singles .. I'm hoping if I back cross it with the doubling F2, I might produce something that consistently doubles since the F2 doubled ones look like pure DBP.

I'm really wanting a Double Red Picotee .. that would be awesome to cross it with the doubling F2's.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 3, 2011
8:15 PM

Post #8607318

hmm double red pictotee.. I thought I had some of those.. I will look for the seeds. I am sure someone sent me some.
I love the blues, tho, really partial to the blues.
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 3, 2011
10:49 PM

Post #8607590

I would love to see a Dbl Red Picotee. I don't think I've ever seen one.
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 6, 2011
10:18 PM

Post #8614465

No kidding! A double red picotee would be awesome! I hope you get a cross to produce them! :-)

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 8, 2011
9:02 PM

Post #8619244

the red picotee I have is a single, sorry, I was wrong.. too many seeds here..
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 9, 2011
6:00 PM

Post #8620978

Debra & Jackie - Maybe X can create a double red picotee through crossing! ;-)
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

June 9, 2011
8:03 PM

Post #8621246

I'd love to give it a try!
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 9, 2011
10:54 PM

Post #8621477

That would really be awesome.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 10, 2011
8:49 PM

Post #8623294

right now, any picotee would look good to me ...*sigh* keep us posted on your efforts, X.
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 29, 2012
8:17 AM

Post #9143092

Here's the first F4 to bloom .. looks to be more Mini-Bar than Double Blue Picotee. Leaves are DBP though.

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum

patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 29, 2012
12:27 PM

Post #9143525

That is so neat X. Genes were locked in a battle for sure
Made for a very interesting bloom.
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 29, 2012
12:30 PM

Post #9143533

Yeah it kinda grows on you .. first glance was an ewwwwww.
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 29, 2012
9:15 PM

Post #9144254

I like the bloom and it does grow on you.
Eager to see if future blooms will vary.

This message was edited May 30, 2012 2:02 PM

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

May 30, 2012
8:28 PM

Post #9145596

[quote="patootie"]I like the bloom and it does grow on you.
Eager to see if future blooms will vary.

This message was edited May 30, 2012 2:02 PM[/quote]
agree with Jackie on this one too!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Morning Glories Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Wild Morning Glory. poppysue 12 Feb 9, 2012 10:32 PM
Help! Teens making MG tea. ? getting high! help mingsmimi 5 Jul 18, 2009 4:33 PM
Now ain't that purdy?! (Morning Glory pic) Seedsower 48 Mar 9, 2007 10:29 AM
Ipomoea Seeds 101 QueenB 27 Nov 19, 2008 1:03 PM
Wild Potato Vine - Need help with pollenation KevinTernes 22 Aug 22, 2007 10:39 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America