Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Fruit Punch Poppies

North Shore of L. I., NY(Zone 6b)

I just saw this variety for sale at Graceful Gardens and had to get them. I think poppies are so pretty and I loved the idea of a mix of colors. My real compaint with perrenial poppies is that the flowers only last such a very short time in the spring but I am hoping this newer kind lasts alittle longer. They are so pretty. Now I can't wait until they are shipped.

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

I do love your enthusiasm! Do you have a picture of this poppy? I'd love to see it.

Pam

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

They are pretty. Did you order plants or seeds?
http://www.tmseeds.com/product/Poppy-Fruit-Punch/Shop_Perennial_Flower_Seed

Plants. I try to not do much in seeds. I am not very patient. If I can get plants of something I usually do.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

I am patient with seeds starting indoors, and they usually do well. Somehow I get lost between a gazillion seedlings and getting them into the ground (LOL). The smaller the seeds, the worse it is. And if the seed is like a powder, forget it forever. Greenhouses deserve to get paid for their efforts. It's work!

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

Gorgeous colors! I winters sowed poppies this year and they came right up. Now I have to decide where to put them, and when. I don't think they'll flower this year though, so if I see any plants out in the nurseries I'll probably buy one or two.

I don't know if these (fruit Punch) are new or not but I don't remember seeing them out in the nurseries. I wasn't planning on buying poppies until I saw the mix of colors they had and just loved it.

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

60 to 75 inches??? WHAT??? are they really THAT tall??? 5 feet and more??

No, no , I am sure that is not correct :-((

So my Graceful Gardens order arrived yesterday. I unpacked the plants and left them on my back stoop overnight to rest. I guess I will go plant them now. Seems like there is always something to plant but at least I haven't ordered anything more. I have to figgure how I am going to arrainge them and probably end up moving some daylilies again to make the poppies have enough room.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Most things are planted, but I was out of town yesterday and happened to be by a very nice Lowe's. Their walk-thru arrangements were lovely, the flowers and plants were fresh and well maintained, and the prices very fair. Even the silver mound artemisia said "take me home." So as you say, we're never done. I'll be making some containers with coleus and sweet potato vines that were very inexpensive. And you don't think I could leave the Heucheras.

Personally, I rarely find that there is such a thing as just looking in any decent nursery department. Of course you have to take something home :-)) Here the big box store with the great selection of plants is Home Depot. I can't tell you how many of the plants and shrubs in my yard are from Home Depot.

So, I really, really did not want to move those daylilies in there around were I wanted poppies so I didn't move them. I just put the poppies in back of them were there was some room around the birdbath. Basicly I squished those poppies into the space that was there instead of being able to spread them out some if the daylilies had not been there in a row along the front. Whatever, it is done.

An update. The Fruit Punch poppies from last year grew and did very well but never bloomed last spring. Those plants look lush and green and much bigger this spring. I am really looking forward to blooms. In fact I already ordered a complete tray of the Fruit Punch Poppies from Graceful Gardens already this spring. They are supposed to ship mid April. So I will be getting the new plants in the garden planted earlier than the ones last year were planted.

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

I'm looking forward to seeing them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.