Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Cottage Gardening: Fruit Punch Poppies

Communities > Forums > Cottage Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Cottage GardeningReplies: 14, Views: 134
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

April 28, 2011
3:01 PM

Post #8526782

I just saw this variety for sale at Graceful Gardens and had to get them. I think poppies are so pretty and I loved the idea of a mix of colors. My real compaint with perrenial poppies is that the flowers only last such a very short time in the spring but I am hoping this newer kind lasts alittle longer. They are so pretty. Now I can't wait until they are shipped.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

April 28, 2011
6:47 PM

Post #8527314

I do love your enthusiasm! Do you have a picture of this poppy? I'd love to see it.

Pam
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

April 30, 2011
7:49 AM

Post #8530099

They are pretty. Did you order plants or seeds?
http://www.tmseeds.com/product/Poppy-Fruit-Punch/Shop_Perennial_Flower_Seed

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

April 30, 2011
8:01 AM

Post #8530119

Plants. I try to not do much in seeds. I am not very patient. If I can get plants of something I usually do.
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

April 30, 2011
8:24 AM

Post #8530171

I am patient with seeds starting indoors, and they usually do well. Somehow I get lost between a gazillion seedlings and getting them into the ground (LOL). The smaller the seeds, the worse it is. And if the seed is like a powder, forget it forever. Greenhouses deserve to get paid for their efforts. It's work!
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

May 1, 2011
12:43 AM

Post #8531573

Gorgeous colors! I winters sowed poppies this year and they came right up. Now I have to decide where to put them, and when. I don't think they'll flower this year though, so if I see any plants out in the nurseries I'll probably buy one or two.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

May 1, 2011
8:25 AM

Post #8532144

I don't know if these (fruit Punch) are new or not but I don't remember seeing them out in the nurseries. I wasn't planning on buying poppies until I saw the mix of colors they had and just loved it.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

May 2, 2011
4:11 PM

Post #8535306

60 to 75 inches??? WHAT??? are they really THAT tall??? 5 feet and more??

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

May 2, 2011
4:14 PM

Post #8535315

No, no , I am sure that is not correct :-((

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

May 12, 2011
7:44 AM

Post #8557516

So my Graceful Gardens order arrived yesterday. I unpacked the plants and left them on my back stoop overnight to rest. I guess I will go plant them now. Seems like there is always something to plant but at least I haven't ordered anything more. I have to figgure how I am going to arrainge them and probably end up moving some daylilies again to make the poppies have enough room.
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

May 12, 2011
10:14 AM

Post #8557824

Most things are planted, but I was out of town yesterday and happened to be by a very nice Lowe's. Their walk-thru arrangements were lovely, the flowers and plants were fresh and well maintained, and the prices very fair. Even the silver mound artemisia said "take me home." So as you say, we're never done. I'll be making some containers with coleus and sweet potato vines that were very inexpensive. And you don't think I could leave the Heucheras.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

May 12, 2011
10:18 AM

Post #8557839

Personally, I rarely find that there is such a thing as just looking in any decent nursery department. Of course you have to take something home :-)) Here the big box store with the great selection of plants is Home Depot. I can't tell you how many of the plants and shrubs in my yard are from Home Depot.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

May 12, 2011
1:34 PM

Post #8558323

So, I really, really did not want to move those daylilies in there around were I wanted poppies so I didn't move them. I just put the poppies in back of them were there was some room around the birdbath. Basicly I squished those poppies into the space that was there instead of being able to spread them out some if the daylilies had not been there in a row along the front. Whatever, it is done.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

March 23, 2012
12:57 PM

Post #9054184

An update. The Fruit Punch poppies from last year grew and did very well but never bloomed last spring. Those plants look lush and green and much bigger this spring. I am really looking forward to blooms. In fact I already ordered a complete tray of the Fruit Punch Poppies from Graceful Gardens already this spring. They are supposed to ship mid April. So I will be getting the new plants in the garden planted earlier than the ones last year were planted.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

March 23, 2012
10:33 PM

Post #9054769

I'm looking forward to seeing them.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cottage Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
my garden...ever changing notmartha 109 Jun 19, 2010 3:07 AM
The Evolution of a 1917 Cottage Garden lincolnitess 7 Jun 13, 2008 8:36 PM
June -to the end! notmartha 81 Mar 7, 2008 10:29 AM
i luv this pic notmartha 52 May 2, 2008 3:49 AM
Annuals in the Cottage Garden ladygardener1 68 Jun 6, 2010 1:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America