May pictures and chit chat

Longboat Key, FL(Zone 9b)

we came from here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1167063/

Please elbow your way to post chit chat and of course pictures

This is a very young plant (sorry I didn't mean that, it took 1 -1/2 yr to bloom) Wranglers "Winter Hawk" flower is 1 -1/2" across - should be disbuded to strengthen the plant. will be beautiful. An old timer like me. helene

Thumbnail by helenethequeen

this is in my back yard. to die for

Esp. Pink Aussie

This is new - combo to die for LOOK

Emerald ??? what a geourges healthy plant

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Sinningia 'Gabriel's Horn'. One of the totally awesome (almost) calyx double Sinningias. By May 1st the flower should be open. :)

Well, and there are buds on Episcia 'Butternut', Sinningia 'Flair', 'Seminole', 'Snowbird', 'Amanda's Penny', 'Country Tiger' x self, muscicola and eumorpha 'Saltao'. Thus far the saying holds true: April showers bring May flowers...

Thumbnail by bsimpson1972
Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

It opened before the 1st after all... :)

I love this hybrid. The color combination is almost psychedelic and it is a calyx double and it seems like it has a minimum of 3 buds per axil. What's not to love?

This message was edited Apr 29, 2011 10:59 AM

Geeez how beautiful is that.

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

I know, right? I got it from Rob's a couple of weeks ago and I'm absolutely loving it.

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

NOID AV from Lowe's putting on a show.

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Streptocarpus 'Bristol's Red Typhoon'

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

One more time:

(Lynn) Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

Gorgeous pictures everbody.Keep them coming.^_^

Lynn

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Sinningia 'Amanda's Penny'. On time for the first of May.

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Sinningia 'Little Tiger'

Thumbnail by Syrumani

So cute Nichole and congrats on the ribbons!

Lynn

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Thanks, Lynn!

I've got to have a talk with that computer, though . . . it keeps spelling my name wrong!

so cute and yes, congrats. So hard to get those ribbons. Oh those judges... I know I was one.

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Yes, congrats! Wonderful plant indeed.

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

It could have looked so much better if it had more blooms! Not that it looks bad, mind you . . . but I've got pix of it with 2x more blooms . . .

My other plants got blue ribbons too . . . which is just wrong . . . but, they say you are too hard on your own plants . . . I think I'm way too critical of them.

Now, I did get a white ribbon on the underwater design. They said the water was cloudy. But, it's not cloudy - it was the reflection off the round bowl from the sides of the white niche . . . here is a pic . . . granted, it does look cloudy, but if they just put one of their clipboards to the side to block the whiteness, it went away!

Thumbnail by Syrumani
Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

To show it wasn't just me, here is the other entry. She didn't get marked for the cloudy looking water, but she did for the large leaves (which was enlarged by the shape of the bowl).

Thumbnail by Syrumani
Montgomery, AL

Helene- Does 'Winter Hawk' grow large? Has it been a winner for you in the past? It's fantastic.
Olaf- 'Gabriel's Horn' is blowing its' glory. How beautiful. What does 'calyx double' mean?
Nichole- Your underwater design is perfect. It should have won. What a shame about the niche reflection.

years ago didn't have underwater design - the mobiles were new then - your stuff is beautiful. Mind you those judges - depending how hungry for breakfast and lunch they are reflects on their judging. They do come from distances.

Winter hawk a new discovery for me - I love wavy leaves. A leave of this was found when I got home from buying soil 2 years ago and it finally bloomed. Should be disbudded but I can't do that. Wranglers stuff is wild. Now if you want a leaf or two i'll do good on that in June. Making sewing room in my garage just now. More $$$ than I wanted to spend but DH gone need to follow the sun. Then I am going to DD for her 50th in NJ back end of may.
If you want to try I'll send. Geourges I just cannot dispbud. Did take a long time to grow but Oh My

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Next year, I will need to remember to get more velvet - to cover the sides of the niche, too . . . or maybe find a nice square container . . . and maybe a box of bagels . . .

Montgomery, AL

Thanks Helene, I'd love a leaf when the time comes and can send you something in return.

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Jamie: calyx double means that the usually green calyx lobes have been transformed into something resembling extra petals.

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

To illustrate the difference, here is Sinningia 'Amanda's Penny' with regular, green calyx lobes.

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

And here's Sinningia 'Gabriel's Horn Mutant', a calyx double.

Montgomery, AL

Ahh, I get it. So, the calyx is just a name for a group of sepals? I'm digging deep here. College was way pre-children. I relearn something I forgot everyday. This must be age.

Nichole...I don't get it....spelling what wrong?

Lynn

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Lou: Yes, exactly. And the whorl of sepals is the calyx.

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

The one that prints the cards, etc. on the computer always leaves out the "h" in Nichole . . .

Oh,
I see it know.

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Sinningia 'Flair'

One of my favorites.

Lynn

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

It is a classic. I was so delighted to find a nice size plant for a good price.

Olaf

New in this household. A russian. Just beautiful

It certainly is Helene!

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

From Russia with love... A beauty!

2" across - unbelieveable, but than I love white. white clothes, walls beds - give me white and put Magenta and purple on it with it .....

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Helene - is it EK-Belaia Koroleva? I measured a bloom off of my plant of that, and it was 2" across as well.

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Gloxinia erinoides 'Red Satin'

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images