Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Water Gardens: Hyacinths in my pond, blooms

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 54, Views: 273
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

April 29, 2011
9:49 AM

Post #8528381

This is a picture of ten days before. I'd allowed the hyacinths to cover most of the surface of the pond for summer so that it would suppress the growth of thread algae. It looks like it did help. I removed about 20% of it and water was quite clear as I guessed. Hyacinth blooms are really lovely. I don't know much about them, but I wonder if they come in different shades. Actually, it grows wild in natural lakes and ponds in the area and these are a big problem maintaining things.

Thumbnail by Dinu
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 29, 2011
10:01 AM

Post #8528396

Dinu

Love them. We have them too. I have noticed they are more apt to flower if they are planted into the bog than if they are allowed to float on top of the pond. Perhaps that is because they dont' get so beaten up by the koi if they are planted into the bog.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

April 29, 2011
11:48 AM

Post #8528546

Carolyn, I have never been able to get them to bloom. Have bought them and they survive but that is about it. I am sure it is because my water is so cold - average (if I am lucky) is around 70 or so. I wonder if I tried what you suggested and potted them around my biofilter (sort of artificial bog garden) they would bloom.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 29, 2011
12:11 PM

Post #8528583

MS - ours are planted in the pea gravel. We told friends of ours that sell the WH about this and he told us that he noticed the ones that were planted flowered for him, however the ones that were not planted did not send up a flower spike.

I don't think Dinu has his planted, but I know Dinu does not have koi either - Dinu - do you still have your platys?
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

April 29, 2011
12:48 PM

Post #8528634

Dinu must also have wonderful weather? Or am I showing my ignorance on Indian weather. For sure I will fill the plastic rim around my biofalls with peagravel to set the plants in. Couldn't figure out how to plant in the dished out hollows filled with water from holes in the bottom. Didn't want to use dirt and if you just set the poor plants in there, they just fall over. I am so excited -- a whole new media to try. And I have almost literally tons of pea gravel and 1" gravel.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 29, 2011
12:50 PM

Post #8528638

Love pea gravel.

Dinu's weather is warm all the time. He is in a zone 10 a.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

April 29, 2011
1:26 PM

Post #8528691

Do you fertilize in any way. Kind of hard to do with the rim around the biofalls as the holes in the bottom of each dished out part would have pretty much a constant turnover of water. Or may not what with the pea gravel. so maybe a tab in each depression would work.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 29, 2011
1:28 PM

Post #8528698

MS - I don't fertilize my WH.

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

April 29, 2011
2:53 PM

Post #8528818

Okay, then neither will I. There should be enough nutrients in the water. And will really add 'bio' to the biowell. lol
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

April 29, 2011
4:06 PM

Post #8528991

I could not get them to bloom in my pond, but I got them to bloom in a (big) bucket of water! They need lots of sun and lots of warmth.

Dinu, mine have always been purple, but I think they might also have white blooms.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

April 29, 2011
6:42 PM

Post #8529286

I think putting them at the top of the falls around the rim of the biowell should give them both maximum sun and warmth. We'll see.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

April 30, 2011
9:16 AM

Post #8530257

I'm attaching a picture I took a few weeks back. I had allowed these hyacinths to spread and cover the surface so that it can keep the thread algae down and it seemed to work. There was just some 20% area of water visible. The huge leaves of the water lily also covered. I have also noticed that the ones that are freely floating with roots hanging down flowered less but the ones that rested on the rocks (placed) higher up near the surface seem to flower more quickly and those also had larger leaves. It seems to bloom in warmer weather. It is summer here with mercury touching about 36 Celsius max. Min. is around 21C. The peak of summer in this part of India will see 37-38 C. It will be in May. In June, the monsoon arrives and cools things down. My pond has a sort of bog area on the two sides having a shallow level. I don't take any special care of the pond but I keep removing the hyacinths every now and then as it is a very invasive type here and a quick spreader too! Two weeks ago, I removed >50% of what you see in this picture now.

Thumbnail by Dinu

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

April 30, 2011
10:15 AM

Post #8530331

remind me, Dinu, are there fish in there? Do you ever see them? lol. I checked the translation of C to F, so you are looking at 100F as the hottest and about 70F as a min. I am assuming also very humid? Don't think I could handle that. Too many years in Alaska I guess. You have beautiful flowers and plants and take great pictures. Thanks. Also thanks for the detail on how your hyacinths grow best. Sounds like out of the water would work best for me, or at least not directly in the pond.
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

May 1, 2011
7:21 AM

Post #8531945

I grew them in MI but they are banned in TX and most other warm states as they take over wetland areas. Still I would love a plant for my little pond. Not many areas to colonize in my area.
C

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 1, 2011
8:08 AM

Post #8532107

Newton- there is also a $200 dollar fine in Texas now to be caught with them on property, is why we changed our water pond to a cactus garden - that and the snakes drawn to water, fyi
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

May 1, 2011
8:45 AM

Post #8532183

One of our garden centers stopped carrying water plants due to snakes. And they were overpriced!
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

May 1, 2011
9:35 AM

Post #8532253

I live in the burbs so snakes aren't a real issue. I have a tiny pond with a couple dwarf water lilies and I suppose that will have to do. I know there are some floating plants native to TX, just not sure which one would work for my purpose.
C
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

May 1, 2011
10:45 AM

Post #8532389

Which were over overpriced?? Plants or snakes? sorry, couldn't resist. lol
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

May 1, 2011
1:57 PM

Post #8532685

You are too funny. I never saw the snakes or frogs. Water plants were a specialty for this nursery, and they really charged a premium. They claimed to have stopped because of snakes and other critters, but I think no one wanted to pay their high prices.

I now get water plants from their supplier, who is the grower or from another nursery. The grower of course has lots of choices, reasonably priced, and if so inclined, I can get fish, too.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

May 1, 2011
7:30 PM

Post #8533375

I am so excited. I put Green clean in my pond to start the spring cleanup. it makes a mess out of the surface killing algae. Well, the fishies loved it. They felt safe to come out. I counted 15 at one point. Mostly gold fish, but my biggest fish, a really homely koi showed up finally as well as a smaller one I bought last year from PetCo. They were all over the pond. Hungry. I fed them some wheat germ. It says only once a week while it is still cool (50F). I am soooooo happy to see my fish. Only one missing, a white gold fish about 6" long. i hope it will come out of the caves soon. Repotted my water lilies in well soaked kitty litter. Works great. Almost no fogging in water. Way cool.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

May 1, 2011
8:47 PM

Post #8533526

mstella, Yes, there are some fish in the pond and I have always left a small area for them to come and say hello to me! I don't know their names except for the guppies and tiger barb but there are 2 more varieties. They are all happily living together and multiplying. The toads enjoy their time in it too - you should look at the way they hide between the hyacinths. They play just like kids and escape into hiding when it sees me! It's such fun, but not their croaks at night! Mysore is not very humid and I can't tell how much as there are no meters. We don't generally sweat that much except during certain summer days but it is on the drier side. Yesterday I removed some hyacinths and exposed the surface of water. The water lettuce is having a contest now with hyacinths.

Thumbnail by Dinu

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

May 2, 2011
8:08 AM

Post #8534355

Dinu, your water lettuce is so lush and green. Mine just turns progressively more brown as summer goes on, not due to heat, but rather cold I think. The fish love to munch on it and hide in the roots. I wish my fish were not so shy. I know that some people have fish, koi, that will come right up to them and can even be hand fed. Maybe if my fish continue to survive the winters they will grow to remember me. That may be giving too much credit to little fishy brains, but I can hope.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

May 2, 2011
8:23 AM

Post #8534402

You can see the Tiger barb and 'Tetra'... also those red ones I told. The red ones are about an inch long. Barbs are about 2-3 inches. Tetra is longer as you can compare.

Thumbnail by Dinu

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

May 2, 2011
8:44 AM

Post #8534454

This is a picture of the lake in Mysore covered with these. Very wild.

Thumbnail by Dinu

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

May 2, 2011
8:47 AM

Post #8534462

I really like the tiger barbs. My mom had some in a 50 gallon tank. those hyacinths look pretty invasive. Would choke a waterway in short order. Except that I guess they like calm waters so maybe moving water in a river would prohibit growth. Still, could really choke a lake. And you couldn't see any little fish. Must have my fish sightings!! lol

Mary
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

May 2, 2011
8:52 AM

Post #8534474

Wow,
If you live here you can make a fortune selling them!!! LOL!!!
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

May 2, 2011
9:26 AM

Post #8534547

Mary, your fish are ravenous. Especially koi, they aggressively go after anything that's green. They're also good fly catchers. If you feed them at the same spot for every feeding, their memories improve. Chances are, they remember you, and take off out of fear when they see you coming.
My fish always know where the food is, but if I'm wearing a black or navy top, they bolt. Because they're in the house, I generally feed them daily and try to feed more to the biggest koi. You would think he's all black, but he's actually pink underneath. He begs for food. He's named Jaws.
I cannot keep lettuce in the pond because it is not warm enough and I don't have enough light. Even in the summer, the water is probably not more than 70 degrees.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

May 2, 2011
9:38 AM

Post #8534576

Marcia, I am continually amazed at how the climate runs throughout NA. You are in CT, and I think of ALL southern states with the exception of those on the northern edge (WI, ND, MI, etc) as being warmer than us. And yet day after day I see postings from places along the mid line even that have no better weather than we do. Or at least their temps and daily conditions seem very close to ours. And your pond temps and situation with water lettuce is just like mine. What is your average ambient air temp over the summer and winter?

You said your fish are 'in the house'. All the time? I thought you only brought them in over winter. Maybe someone else. But you do grow water lilies and such I would assume (or could go back and look if I weren't so lazy :) at prior posts).

What I have read says to only feed them twice a week until it gets warmer than 50, and right now the day starts with 35 if I am lucky. It got quite warm yesterday, up to 52 in the pond with the sun on it, so I fed them, but the pond is only 42 this morning. so I know I must be careful of feeding for a while.

By the time it got late I had counted 15 fish including two koi, one of which is big for my pond - about 10" long and maybe 3" in diameter. Looks like a shebunkin though. The other is a mutt with mixed metalic, reds, blacks, whites etc. Got him last year and am amazed at his growth. Still one big white gold fish to make an appearance and I would say they ALL survived. Guess I shouldn't hijack this thread with talk of fish, but there is only one other person here who has fish and I don't see him that often.
dahos77
Aiea, HI
(Zone 11)

May 2, 2011
1:44 PM

Post #8535054

I have Hyacinths in a big plastic tub. Mine are floating and will bloom occasionally. I just dump some osmocote into the water every so often. I'm sure that if they got more sun, they would perform much better.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

May 2, 2011
7:55 PM

Post #8535872

I would think you would have tons of blooms over there, unless they are in the shade of course.
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

May 2, 2011
8:08 PM

Post #8535908

Mary, about 2 summers ago, after having lost fish to herons and then to raccoon damage, I decided to cover the pond with deer netting to give them some protection, and it work out pretty well. Then we got a visit from a raccoon. He must have jumped on the deer netting, but could not get through that night. So then I put chicken wire over the pond, and that worked great. Then when the raccoon came again and could not get into the pond, he left his poop, but the fish were safe.

Then fall came, the leaves came down and covered the pond, and at that point there was no enjoyment from the fish. So my husband built me a pond in the living room just for the winter, and we brought the fish inside. We talked about putting them outside again last summer, but we (I) enjoyed them so much inside, that we left them inside.

I put marginals in the pond, and that's where I want to put the hardy water lilies and keep the fish inside. The pond is nothing more than a wooden frame with draped with pond liner. Holds about 120 gallons.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

May 2, 2011
8:26 PM

Post #8535935

that would be so neat. I have such a tiny house that I would have to dangle my feet in the pond to have room for it and my chairs. lol. I assume you have filters and such. Those racoons, however cute they look, are vicious little beasties. Glad I don't have them to contend with. It would be nice to have my fish where I could see them in the winter. I only have them for such a short time, to see that is. Then back under ice for five months. Yuk.
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

May 2, 2011
9:43 PM

Post #8536033

It's a tiny 2-bedroom house, and we have a business here as well, but we also have a full attic and basement, so it's not so confining.

The filter is attached to a pump which I run intermittently. The spray can be redirected easily, and we move it from time to time. The goldfish love to go into the spray, and love it when they get thrown on their butts. It is not as much fun for the koi, I think because they're bigger. There is also a bubbler attached to a small foam filter that runs whenever the lights are on. In the winter the water temp is about 55 degrees. In the summer it's generally between 70 and 75 degrees.

It can get considerably warmer here in the summer. Last year it started around May 2, when it was over 80. It is never that hot here in May. Then it went down to the 40s. By June it started to get hot again with the kind of temps we see end of July and mid-August. The gardens went crazy, and we had to water daily or lose plants. The a/c ran all summer long. We also have not been accustomed to California-type temperatures that have 30 degree differences between night and day temps. I think we're really experiencing global warming. Only time will tell.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

May 2, 2011
10:47 PM

Post #8536080

It must really be fun. I guess I shouldn't complain about our cold. I simply could not deal with the heat.
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

May 3, 2011
7:48 AM

Post #8536688

The saying around here is "it's not the heat; it's the humidity," which can be uncomfortable. I should be more compassionate for our southern friends who drown in humidity in certain areas.

Perfect weather here is between 70 and 80 with a little breeze. Because our night temps are not greatly lower than our day temps (generally about 10-15 degrees, everyone has either central or room air conditioners which are in use mostly during July and August. It's 60 now but supposed to go up to 72-yay!
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

May 3, 2011
9:09 AM

Post #8536853

See. That's what I mean. Sometimes your weather sounds just like ours. But I will be lucky to see 70 a dozen times this summer. And it is dry as a bone despite overcast. Last summer we did almost turn into mushrooms and the poor gardens showed it, but that was unusual. And cold... even for us. Yeah, Tennessee has about all the 'humidity' they can handle right now.

DH runs around in shorts or cutoffs complaining how hot he is and I have on polar fleece pullover, socks, and my heavy slippers. And that is in the summer!! lol. winter is a --- well, this IS a family sort of place -- durn sight colder.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 3, 2011
9:16 AM

Post #8536866

mstella wrote:
DH runs around in shorts or cutoffs complaining how hot he is and I have on polar fleece pullover, socks, and my heavy slippers. And that is in the summer!! lol. winter is a --- well, this IS a family sort of place -- durn sight colder.

Interesting - that sounds like my house. The only difference is that I do like it hot and humid and absolutely freeze to death in the winter. We do typically have some days in the 90's, which I do like unless it gets to be the upper 90's with high humidity. I figure my comfort level is just in a different place than most. I can tell when the temps hit 68* - that seems to be my level where I get cold. My only question is why can I not channel the 'hot flashes' to occur only in the winter? :-)
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

May 3, 2011
9:22 AM

Post #8536875

"My only question is why can I not channel the 'hot flashes' to occur only in the winter? :-) "
Good point... mine are long over such as they were. Could never survive in 90 degrees. Would just melt away. D* however would love it.
dahos77
Aiea, HI
(Zone 11)

May 3, 2011
12:04 PM

Post #8537177

Blooms are inconsistent. It gets about 6-8 hours of direct sunlight. I'm going to try and pot some up and see what happens.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

May 3, 2011
6:02 PM

Post #8537894

dahos77, i would think that 6-8 hours would do the trick on getting blooms. Surely hope so.
dahos77
Aiea, HI
(Zone 11)

May 3, 2011
7:19 PM

Post #8538128

Mstella, blooming for me is very inconsistent. I get one every so often. Not huge swaths... do you cut off the spent blooms to get them to bloom again?

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 3, 2011
8:03 PM

Post #8538262

not water hyacinths, you don't deadhead them, at least not down here in Houston, it helps to leave them alone so they multiply by runner, the more plant the smaller the runner to each new plant, IF ours root in dirt, they get very very tall, for a water hyacinth, but they will right themselves when flaoting again
dahos77
Aiea, HI
(Zone 11)

May 3, 2011
8:25 PM

Post #8538363

Ah... thanks. I was just talking about the flowers. I didn't think that the flowers were capable of aiding in the runners.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

May 3, 2011
9:27 PM

Post #8538510

I have never gotten a hyacinth to bloom, but I would think that deadheading would assist in more blooms and more vitality to the plant itself. But Kittriana has them blooming and I don't so you go with the successful person.

Am going to try planting in pea gravel around the upper edge of my biofalls to see if 1) more warmth, and 2) not planted in the pond works per comments I have read here. TWL notified me that my shipment has been sent so should be here in a day or so. I will put them in the pond for a bit until it gets warmer. No hyacinths, just lilies and lotus. Ummm. and water plants that must stay in the garage in buckets.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 4, 2011
4:50 AM

Post #8538762

I dont' deadhead my WH either...
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

May 4, 2011
8:35 AM

Post #8539101

Interesting. Well, if I am so fortunate to get a hyacinth to bloom then I won't dead head either.
dahos77
Aiea, HI
(Zone 11)

May 4, 2011
11:22 AM

Post #8539410

Ah. I was just wondering that if you do deadhead them, they would bloom more. I'm just looking for a way to get them to bloom more.
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

May 4, 2011
2:31 PM

Post #8539787

In most cases, you'd get wet deadheading them.

If I'm not mistaken, there are a lot of buds, and each bloom stays open for about a day or so. I'll let you know in July.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 4, 2011
2:53 PM

Post #8539835

Cathy is right, a day, perhaps 2 days at the most for a WH flower.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22

cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

May 4, 2011
2:56 PM

Post #8539843

Carolyn, are those water lilies or lotus?
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 4, 2011
3:24 PM

Post #8539900

Cathy

It is a waterlily. I don't have any lotus...

Thumbnail by Carolyn22

dahos77
Aiea, HI
(Zone 11)

May 4, 2011
6:53 PM

Post #8540360

Mine are in tubs, so getting wet isn't too much of a problem.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 4, 2011
7:53 PM

Post #8540470

They like really dirty stillish water, which stands to reason since they purify it, full sun, and if you have cooler nights than days they can bloom several times-abt the time they go to putting out new roots and babies, I have wondered if the flower show is to distract you from the fact they are multiplying again...
dahos77
Aiea, HI
(Zone 11)

May 4, 2011
8:28 PM

Post #8540527

HAHAHA... good one. When mine get too big, I just mulch em.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

May 5, 2011
4:14 AM

Post #8540834

Finally, Carolyn came up with a picture!! Nice!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America