Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

California Gardening: Thought for the Day - Page 13

Communities > Forums > California Gardening
bookmark
Forum: California GardeningReplies: 130, Views: 825
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 29, 2011
12:51 PM

Post #8528640

Hey all,
I've missed you and then I realized that the thread had gotten kinda long, so here we go with a new one. I really enjoyed the last page of this thread and hope you all continue to contribute to this one. Tell your friends, or just lurk and LOL! : - )
It's all good. : - )

Here is where we came from:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1159097/

Hope to see you all soon posting your thoughts. : - )
Walk In Beauty~
SingingWolf

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Click the image for an enlarged view.

SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 29, 2011
12:55 PM

Post #8528646

I forgot to post my thought!

"if you are never scared or embararrassed or hurt,
it means you never take any chances."
~Julia Sorel~

Have a great day! : - )
Take some chances! New research says that new experiences stave off the onset of Alzheimer's. : - )
WIB~
SW
dillansnana
Hemet, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 2, 2011
12:36 PM

Post #8534875

My thought for today is this:

Thank God our President and the military were not scared and got the job done! God Bless America!

Sylvia
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 2, 2011
12:55 PM

Post #8534912

Ditto what Sylvia said.
Here is my thought for today.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because
it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
~Thomas A. Edison~

Walk In Beauty~
SingingWolf
quiltygirl
No Central, AZ
(Zone 7b)

May 3, 2011
6:56 AM

Post #8536577

Good one, SW!
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 3, 2011
10:56 AM

Post #8537046

Okay, glad you liked it. : - )

How about this one?

"Above all challenge yourself. You may well surprise yourself
at what strengths you do have, what you can accomplish."
~Cecile Springer~

You all have a good day, now! : - )
WIB~
SW

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 3, 2011
5:40 PM

Post #8537849

SW, that Thomas Edison quote sure made me think of my grandpa! He was one of the hardest working people I've ever known. And he never missed an opportunity, either. :)

SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 3, 2011
7:55 PM

Post #8538237

Both my Gpa's were like that. I've never been afraid of doing hard work. Just bummed that my body won't let me any more. Sigh . . .
I still do more than I should, though.
Not to change the subject, but where is Shermie? I haven't heard from her in a while. I hope she is okay. Has anyone heard from her?

Read a good one today, and will have to come back to give the author's name, because I don't remember it. So I'm going to paraphrase.

A man in his time of troubles and tribulations, berates the Creator and cries and begs for the Creator to spare the life of his son. Upon the death of his son, the father ceased his weepingcalmly cleaned himself up, dressed in clean clothing, made arrangements for the funeral and ate a meal. Others could not understand the change in his behavior. When questioned, he responded, "Before my son died, I thought The Creator might change his mind. He chose not to, and I must accept it."

Some things in life can't be changed. I don't know, but after some of my experiences, I felt like something I had never understood before had finally been explained in a way I could understand.
WIB~
SW

Sally_OR
Eugene, OR

May 4, 2011
5:35 PM

Post #8540186

Hi SW, so glad to see you are still here.
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 4, 2011
7:45 PM

Post #8540452

Hi Sally,
I've been missing you, and I'm glad to see you are posting again. : - )
No real thoughts, except I hate having bloodwork done. : - (
Oh well, it's over with for another year, I hope.
I'll have something good for everyone to read tomorrow. : - )
WIB~
SW
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 5, 2011
10:16 AM

Post #8541539

Morning All! : - )
I have a couple of thoughts for you today. : - )

"Live your life and forget your age."
~Norman Vincent Peale~

This is one I've been saving for awhile, but today I feel it's time to share it with you all. It's the way that Native American Indians have always felt. After all, you can't take material possessions with you! : - )

"Happiness is not so much in having as sharing.
We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give."
~Norman MacEwan~

Now just you wait til you see what I have waiting for you tomorrow! : - )
I'm going out to do some easy gardening. I have a new summer kid doing some yard work for me today. My regular sk, Jake has a couple of weeks work, where he can get paid more, so he's okay with me helping out one of my other summer kids. Especially after I explained how I came to fall.
I'm a bit stiff still, and no doubt have some bruises in places I can't see without assuming odd postures in front of a mirror, but the minor scrapes and abrasions are healing fast, and I feel so much better after my tune-up yesterday. Life is good!
WIB~
SW
dillansnana
Hemet, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 5, 2011
10:39 AM

Post #8541577

SW
What you posted yesterday reminded me of the Serenity Prayer
God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference. Now this is the shortened version. Must google the whole thing. I have been saying this prayer for over 30 years. Living it more and more as the years go by. Wisdoms comes in bits and pieces through years.

Love ya,
Sylvia

Samigal

Samigal
(Pegi) Norwalk, CA
(Zone 10b)

May 5, 2011
12:34 PM

Post #8541776

Hey Sylvia, isn't the Serenity Prayer one of the best! It took me a long time to finally accept the things I cannot change, hard head here.

Love all the thoughts, just don't have any just yet.

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 5, 2011
2:12 PM

Post #8541987

I think I'll just stew in your thoughts for today. Mine aren't nearly as profound. LOL
dillansnana
Hemet, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 5, 2011
4:55 PM

Post #8542359

Pegi

We are all hard headed. However when we stop beating our head against the wall, it feels so good.

Love ya,
Sylvia

Booker
Don't stew, marinate!
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 6, 2011
9:04 AM

Post #8543722

'When someone suggests something that seems like a good idea to them (but not to you) I always say 'You try it first' - DTG, formerly of Eureka, CA

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener

ldblond
La Quinta, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 7, 2011
10:38 AM

Post #8545789

SingingWolf - The "blondie" nickname made me smile - I'd say it's a keeper!

I must apologize for my absence since the round-up but I was going through some med changes during the round up and it I did have a wonderful time meeting you all and miss talking to everyone.

Great things have come from actually deciding with my Doctor to stop some of my RSD meds instead of changing them. It's been along time since I've felt like my "old" self mentally/emotionally and I'm enjoying it (apparently my family is too). The pain is worse but I'm learning how to cope better and I still take some meds to help with it. There's just something about having my inner strength and faith in life back that is such a gift if gives me strength to deal with RSD a little differently - the Serenity Prayer is quite fitting actually. Another positive is that I finally got my right carpal tunnel revision approved and surgery is this coming Monday. This means I should get better use of my hand and hopefully my pain will go down some in that part of my body.
So if I'm not on - know that I wish I could be.

I'd like to wish all of you that are Mom's a Happy Mother's Day on Sunday. Having three healthy, happy children is my gift and on Mother's Day - my kids and I are going to plant my summer seeds as gardening will be a bit difficult with one hand for awhile. It will be nice to see the little seedlings coming up while I heal and then in 6 weeks when I can get my hands dirty again everything should be beginning to bloom.

Hundreds of dewdrops to greet the dawn,
Hundreds of bees in the purple clover,
Hundreds of butterflies on the lawn,
But only one mother the wide world over.
~George Cooper

Mothers hold their children's hands for a short while, but their hearts forever. ~Author Unknown

The mother's love for her children is as tender as the petal of a flower, as sweet as the flower fragrance, as pure as a flower itself. Still, her love can neither be replaced nor comparable to anything else in the whole universe. - The Flower Expert

Thumbnail by ldblond

quiltygirl
No Central, AZ
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2011
10:49 AM

Post #8547756

Thanks, blondie, for the need for tissue. As a mother, I see my neglects as a daughter.

I will pray for your surgery tomorrow and for your continued improvements.
Sally_OR
Eugene, OR

May 11, 2011
8:43 AM

Post #8554564

I love this one!

"Before you speak, let your words pass through three gates. At the
first gate, ask yourself 'Is is true.' At the second gate ask, 'Is it
necessary.' At the third gate ask, 'Is it kind." author unknown

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 11, 2011
3:16 PM

Post #8555400

Beautiful iris, Idblond! Do you know what variety it is?

Sally, love the "three gates" quote! Think how much more pleasant our world would be if everyone adhered to that policy!

I had some really great quote I was going to remember and share, but. . .it is gone. Should have written it down. Sigh.
dillansnana
Hemet, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 11, 2011
3:44 PM

Post #8556129

Here is my most favorite quote on thinking before you speak and it is one of my "life verses" Psalm 19:14 " Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, O Lord,my strength and my Redeemer." This verse and using it before I speak in especially stressful situations through the years, has given me much peace.

Sylvia
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

May 11, 2011
4:51 PM

Post #8556334

Love that one, Sally.
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 12, 2011
9:09 AM

Post #8557680

Dale, I really loved your quote. I use something similar myself. : - )
Loved your tree photo!
Blondie, no apologies are necessary, most of us have been through similar difficulties. : - )
Great quotes, and if it's any consolation, QG, I had to grab for tissues too.
Lovely Iris, Blondie. : - )
I hope you are recovering from your surgery and there are no complications. I'll be keeping you in my prayers.
BTW, I have lots of Blond friends. One likes to collect Blond jokes. : - )
Sally, I'm going to copy that one and put it on both the front and back and maybe even our bedroom doors. It's a keeper. : - )
You know I really hate it BookerC, when I go and do that. Lately I've been trying to write them down in a notebook or copy and paste asap. LOL! : - )
Sometimes it's good to just be.
Hi, Margaret. It's always nice to see you chime in. : - )

I have an admission to make, you may have noticed I've been gone a few days. I found out last week that I am having a really bad flare up with the fibromyalgia. They (them Dr.s) want to do some more blood work. I'd like to find out where what little energy I had went. Oh well. Hopefully, things will improve, and I'll get some of my energy and strength back. Prayers are gratefully accepted. : - )

"An individual has not started living until he can rise
above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns
to the broader concerns of all humanity."
~Martin Luther King, Jr.~

Kwan, should like this one. : - )

"You don't get to choose how you're going to die. Or when.
You can only decide how you're going to live. Now."
~Joan Baez~

Last one for now, and it really does help me to remember.

"Goals that are not written down are just wishes."
~Anonymous~

You all have a grand day.
WIB~
SW

evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

May 12, 2011
8:16 PM

Post #8559237

A THOUGHT FOR TODAY:
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to continually be part of unanimity. -Christopher Morley, writer (1890-1957)

evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

May 12, 2011
8:33 PM

Post #8559281

A THOUGHT FOR TODAY:
There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it. -Edith Wharton, novelist (1862-1937)

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 14, 2011
9:12 PM

Post #8563393

When one tugs at a single thing in nature,
he finds it attached to the rest of the world.
~~ John Muir

Might have to tell this one to my son next time he asks me why we have to have wasps. I've tried to explain the importance of pollinators, and ecosystems, and the way everything depends on everything else, but it doesn't lessen his fear of those angry stingers!
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

May 15, 2011
7:17 PM

Post #8565655

Maybe tell him it is attached to the rest of the universe...it might have him at least stop to think.

Samigal

Samigal
(Pegi) Norwalk, CA
(Zone 10b)

May 16, 2011
5:31 PM

Post #8567869

No quote, but found a video "Amazing Grace" in Cherokee. It is truly beautiful and I thought Singing Wolf would love to hear it.
htttp://youtube.com/watch?v=UvYIjFtPQEkO& feature related.

All those letters really messes up my typing. LOL
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 16, 2011
7:26 PM

Post #8568128

Hey Samigal,
Thank you for sharing that video with me. Of course I copied and pasted it, LOL, and it wouldn't play it for me, because it didn't recognize it with the "http//", so if you want to go back and edit it out, it'll be easier for others or you can copy every thing after that and paste it, hmmm, let me try it and see if it works.
youtube.com/watch?v=UvYIjFtPQEkO&
Rats, no direct link back to youtube. Oh well. It's well worth copying and pasting to the address line to see it.
GF you had me in tears. While I've heard the song many times, it never ceases to bring tears to my eyes. You may recall this is one of the two songs I want played at my Great Mystery Ceremony. : - )
I was really wowed by the art work and am going to have to play it again to read some of the sayings. I would have read them the first time through but you know me, I was all teared up and couldn't see. Some have really small writing and I have to take off my glasses and hold the laptop up close. LOL!
I am truly touched that you thought of me Samigal, and thank you for both the gift and the treat. : - )
BTW, I usually start my day singing the Cherokee Morning Song. I've made it part of my morning prayers.

Good one BookerC. Maybe if you tell him about the Butterfly Effect? All things are interconnected in ways that are more wondrous and profound than we can imagine.

evelyn, I love the way you think, not to mention the way you've blossomed. You go girl!
: - ) Those were both great quotes. Don't ask me to pick just one, because I can't.

So I'll give my thought/quote for today.

"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start,
anyone can start now and make a brand new ending."
~Carl Bard~

Hope to be hanging out with you more as it starts to warm up, but how often do we get rain this late in the year. I might even get caught up! LOL!
I've got to watch and listen to Walela singing Amazing Grace in Cherokee again. : - )
I am Blessed to have friends like you all. : - )
WIB~
SW

WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

May 16, 2011
8:20 PM

Post #8568277

OK, I found you. Shame on you trying to hide from me. Be well all of you. Sharon.

Samigal

Samigal
(Pegi) Norwalk, CA
(Zone 10b)

May 16, 2011
9:50 PM

Post #8568452

Jules, the Cherokee morning song is beautiful, videos on that too. Just type in youtube/Cherokee singing and see if you can get it that way. Simply beautiful songs.
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 16, 2011
10:51 PM

Post #8568515

Had no trouble Samigal, just deleted the http// and got them. I have a wonderful collection of Native American Indian performers on my computer and ipod. Oh, and on YouTube, I added a Star to the end of my username. ; - )
Another NAI performer you might like is JoAnne Shenandoah. I think she is Ojibway? She sings in her native tongue sometimes. Wow! What a voice. I've heard she's no bigger than me, but she doesn't need a microphone for the whole auditorium to hear her sing.
I'll try to see if she has anything on you tube.
Sharon, are you playing hide and seek with us again? LOL! Happens every time it rains in Las Vegas. Saw that transformer on the news last night. Lots of fireworks there. Hope no one was hurt.
Hey all, Momma took another fall tonight, and am at my wit's end. Got suggestions? EB#1 and I are planning on putting her mattress on the floor because she keeps falling out of bed and won't let us use the bed rails. She's scaring us!
My thought for tonight is selfish but sincere, "I'm too young to be an orphan!"
Got to go!
WIB~
SW

Samigal

Samigal
(Pegi) Norwalk, CA
(Zone 10b)

May 17, 2011
10:06 AM

Post #8569285

Sorry to hear your momma took another fall. No suggestions here, I'd be at my wit's end too. When I lost my mom my first thought was "I'm now an orphan". I never realized how much I stilll need her.

Well, got to get DH his breakfast, he sleeps late and that gives me more time on the computer. Physical therapy for my back this afternoon. Sure is helping me, but I do relaize I have to keep the exercises up or go back hurting. Very hard to garden when your back aches.
quiltygirl
No Central, AZ
(Zone 7b)

May 17, 2011
10:10 AM

Post #8569291

The mattress on the floor helps prevent falling out of bed, however, it is pretty low for getting up and down - especially if one has a full bladder. Just a thought. Do you have one of those something soft you could put next to the bed to fall onto?
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

May 17, 2011
7:22 PM

Post #8570538

When my mother was in assisted living, she kept falling out of bed with the rails up. She was climbing over the rails.

So they put her bed lower. She still fell out of bed. So they put her bed on the floor with two mattresses and no frame and a foam mattress right next to it so if she fell out of bed, she would just roll onto the other mattress. That worked.

I am an orphan but my mother is in my garden all the time. One time I actually smelled her perfume behind me. She has been gone 5 years on the 19th of May and I still remember the lights in her eyes when I showed up at the assisted living place every morning. I was there every day from 10am until she went to bed. Of course, I took over the place and changed a few rules while I was there. LOL. Sharon.
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 18, 2011
1:58 PM

Post #8572083

You know, with your background Sharon, that doesn't surprise me at all. Mom doesn't want to loose control, and I thought about putting something soft next to her bed, but she'd trip and fall over that too. She won't allow us to take the bed frame out. I'm going to try to find one that is slightly lower for her to use. Then we'll go the mattress route. It's just that she doesn't have the strength to get off of the floor a lot of the time.
I've asked my niece Jenny to come home and help us out. She's going to sleep on it and talk things over with the father of her youngest child. Prayers wouldn't hurt at this point.
I did take a fall early this morning but Mom is still way ahead of me in the weekly total.
My selfish ES is upset that he'll have less room and a room mate when I kick him out so my nieces kids can have rooms of their own. I am disappointed in his attitude, and I wouldn't have to ask and pay for help if he'd step up. Besides he needs to leave my nest,
and have a dose of what the real world is like. I should make him pay rent, but his father won't let me. I'll definitely make him help to fix it up. Nothing like sweat equity to make you appreciate something. Sorry to vent, but sometimes you got to. Sometimes you can get ideas from other people's experiences too. : - )
I'll be getting my weekly tune up and lecture this afternoon, so I'll be fine. Although, the colors of my bruises on top of the other fading bruises is getting pretty interesting. LOL!
It's a cold, wet, icky day.
So let me give you my thought and I'd best start trying to get some work done inside this house, since I can't handle being outside. Brrrr! It should warm up in the next day or two. : - )

Leaving you with this thought.
"Real integrity is doing the right thing, knowing
that nobody is going to know if you did it or not."
~Oprah Winfrey~

and

"The less we look with our eyes,
the more we will see with our hearts"
~Lindsey Albrecht~

WIB~
SW

dillansnana
Hemet, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 18, 2011
2:16 PM

Post #8572107

Jules

Dear friend you are on my heart in prayer always.
Amen to your quotes, so very true!

Love ya,
Sylvia
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 19, 2011
10:06 AM

Post #8573832

Thanks Sylvia,
I'm glad the rain has stopped for now anyway. : - )
It's peanut planting day! Yippee!

This is for all of you, from my heart.

"Somewhere there is someone who dreams of your smile,
who finds in your presence that life is worthwhile. So when you are lonely,
remember it's true, that somebody somewhere is thinking of you."
~Unknown~

Walk In Beauty~
SingingWolf

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 19, 2011
2:16 PM

Post #8574261

Wow, SW, sounds like you have your hands full. I'll be praying for you and your mom both! Sounds like a rough time of transition.

BTW, what is ES? Wracked my brain, trying to figure it out. I know most of the abbreviations, but that one is new to me! Or was it meant to be DS or StS? LOL

No great words of wisdom from me today. Just trying to get motivated to go mow my jungle (ahem) I mean lawn.

Angie
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 20, 2011
10:43 PM

Post #8576921

Hey Angie,
In this case the ES stands for Eldest Son and YS means Youngest Son. Seemed nicer than numbering them since I only got the two kids. All the rest are loaners. : - )
I have 4 brothers, and refer to them as EB# for Elder brothers, and YB# for younger brothers. I only have one sister, but 4 step-sisters. It can be confusing, so they get #'s.
What does StS mean? Never mind, I just got it. Step son.
Thank you for your prayers. I'm sure they helped today. For the full story, go to the Parking Lot Forum and look on the Porch Swing?Front Porch Thread. Life has been real
exciting on the farm lately.

"On the road to life there are many paths . . .
some twist, some turn, some dip, some curve. As long as
you keep your focus, your destination is obtainable."
~Brenda Good~

Someone handed me a star shaped wand today. Which brought this to mind.

"Everyone's a star and deserves the right to twinkle."
~Marilyn Monroe~

I bless you one and all with my little wand with the star on the end. LOL!
Hope your weekend "twinkles". : - )
WIB~
SW
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 24, 2011
7:31 PM

Post #8585432

Hey everyone, I hope you had a great twinkly weekend. Mine was full of fun surprises. Mostly good ones. : - )

Well, I've finally achieved my goal. According to my counselor, I'm quoting here. "you are a member of the quirky, eccentric, Mensa Group." Which made me LOL! I never aspired to become a member of Mensa. In my humble opinion, I think it's a bunch of hooiee, and every one of us, is unique and has something special to contribute to this world. : - )
But I'm happy to know I'm considered "quirky and eccentric". LOL!

I'm gathering, you all are out in the garden, and getting your yards ready for the traditional Memorial Day weekend BBQ. Me too. Taking me forever, as my helper got real work for this week. : - )
I'm happy for him, because he earns more $$ and I can get one of the other kids to help. I guess the open house policy with my boys friends is paying off.
Not to mention ES is turning 22 this weekend and will want those friends to come over and Party! (I confiscate keys or make sure they have a sober Designated Driver, otherwise I come through in the middle of the night and give all the sleepers on the floor and furniture, blankets. It gets cold before morning.

Okay those were some of my thoughts, and I'm feeling lonely here.
I really miss Shermie, where are you? : - (
Where is everyone?

Okay, I don't mind talking to myself so this shouldn't be much different. LOL!

My quote for the day.
"Friends are the most important part of your life.
Treasure the tears, treasure the laughter,
but most importantly, treasure the memories."
~Dave Brenner~

So my friends, know in your hearts, that I treasure You!
Walk In Beauty~
SingingWolf
quiltygirl
No Central, AZ
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2011
9:38 PM

Post #8585640

Quirky and eccentric people often talk to themselves...

I have been lurking, not avoiding. Had been feeling a little skunky from around pre-Easter till last week, but have to thank drugs and I ame feeling better! YAY!! I have had a young man (corner guy) working here and he has been a gem. He says he 'loves to work' and gets here at 7AM, works till 6, takes 15 min for lunch. He is a self starter and keeps going, not stopping. Wish I had SW's summer boys, they sound cheaper, anyway, but it is just wonderful to be getting all the weeds (and I do mean ALL). He has also planted some plants (after I made 'baskets' for the roots) and divided and replanted some perennials, trimmed trees and put in chicken wire and concrete at the base of our common fence with a neighbor where the dogs (particularly a new one we have) have dug out 4 times in 8 days! Should finish up tomorrow, told him it would only likely be a 1/2 day as I cannot throw more money into this. I want to adopt him. He has been here 7 years from Guatamala and has not seen his family since then. He married a girl from Mexico and they have 2 children. VERY little English and his dialect is different than those from Mexico, so I am being challenged.

I am glad your mom is doing better, SW. And WHERE is Shermie? Don't think I have heard from or about her since before the round up.
weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

May 26, 2011
9:28 AM

Post #8588400

I'm still here, just AWOL a bit. Things are once again hectic with grandbaby #2 coming in July, it's a boy, grandbaby #3 is due in November, it's a girl!
I've been busy in the iris garden too. You all missed the blooms, they were fantastic!
Hugs to everyone!

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 26, 2011
9:45 AM

Post #8588440

Well, this isn't exactly a thought-for-the-day, but it made me chuckle, so I thought I'd share it. My cat may never forgive me for laughing.

Little Tim was in the garden filling in a hole when his neighbour peered over the fence. Interested in what the cheeky-faced youngster was up to, he politely asked, "What are you up to there, Tim?" "My goldfish died," replied Tim tearfully, without looking up, "and I've just buried him." The neighbour was concerned, "That's an awfully big hole for a goldfish, isn't it?" Tim patted down the last heap of earth then replied, "That's because he's inside your cat."

Have a great day!
Angie
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

May 28, 2011
1:55 PM

Post #8592989

Tee, hee!! LOL!! Good one, Angie!

Samigal

Samigal
(Pegi) Norwalk, CA
(Zone 10b)

May 28, 2011
4:14 PM

Post #8593269

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...It's about learning to dance in the rain". Vivian Green

If it would rain I would dance in it.

My squash and tomatoes are doing very good, just praying I get some good crops this year. I think I need more growing space or plant things that don't take up much room.
quiltygirl
No Central, AZ
(Zone 7b)

May 29, 2011
8:29 AM

Post #8594468

Pegi - you could always go vertical. I kept this photo I saw of someone's garden that even grew melon vertically! Stockings support them (I started using them as ties for tomatoes last year), but I have heard of even using bras to support big squash, lol. Growing the old style cuke and beans and not the newer bush varieties helps too. In the container forum last year, I saw clever methods, like a pole that held pots a varying levels, or pots hung on fences or one very clever idea of using rows of rain gutters mounted on a fence or garage wall to grow lettuces, spinach and other shallow needs plants.

Samigal

Samigal
(Pegi) Norwalk, CA
(Zone 10b)

May 30, 2011
9:11 AM

Post #8596742

I guess I'm going to try vertical, have some tall stakes I'll just stick in the ground and let the vines go where they may. I've saved some of those mesh bags that onions, etc. come in, they may come in handy now. Neighbor gave me a lot of naked lady bulbs and have to get them planted. Now DH thinks having a lot of naked ladies in back would be nice. LOL
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 2, 2011
10:03 AM

Post #8603946

Sorry I haven't been around the last few days. My EB#2 and his family came out for a visit from Utah. They've been a huge help with Momma. She is allowing my SIL to clean up her kitchen, and take care of a few other chores.
While I really enjoy their company, I was surprised to hear from them on Saturday night about 8:00, because I thought that they'd postponed their visit. One of their kids got sick and you know how that usually goes through the whole family. In their rush to get their 4 kids and all their stuff packed up, they neglected to let us know they were coming! When they called they were in Barstow. Accckk!
Especially since that night was my ES's 22nd B.day party, and all of his buddies were here and since they are old enough they were drinking, too. I won't let them drive home if they've been drinking so I didn't have much bed space here. They ended up sleeping their first night (got in at 11:30 due to the strong headwinds), on Mom's front porch. Which was okay until we got that slight drizzle rain about 4:30-5:00 am. I was up and dragging in furniture. Sigh . . .
Such weird weather this year.
Yesterday, was my youngest nephew's B.day. It was fun, but I sure did get tired quick. It was a good day.
Got to go!

"No one is completely useless. They can always serve as a bad example."
~Anonymous~

Hugs to all~
WIB~
SW
weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

June 2, 2011
1:01 PM

Post #8604270

Good to hear from you SW. I haven't been around much lately either.
Hello everyone!

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 2, 2011
2:30 PM

Post #8604435

Wow, sounds like you had a houseful! Nothing like unexpected guests, when you already have a whole crew crashed in your house. :)
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 2, 2011
8:17 PM

Post #8605313

Yup, but I've enjoyed most of their visit. : - )
Just like a barrel of monkey's never a dull moment. LOL!
I got to get the boys ready for the Annual Toad Hunt.
WIB,
SW
ldblond
La Quinta, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 17, 2011
9:03 PM

Post #8637663

I've been missing the whole lot of you and glad to be back online. My sunflowers are about a foot tall and my butterfly bush is Growing well too. The heat is starting to crank up here in the desert so I'm hoping all my newer plants live. I will start taking pics over the weekend.

Look forward to catching up- have a great evening !

Samigal

Samigal
(Pegi) Norwalk, CA
(Zone 10b)

June 17, 2011
11:03 PM

Post #8637761

Hi Idblond, glad to see you back posting. Looking forward to pics of your plants.
quiltygirl
No Central, AZ
(Zone 7b)

June 20, 2011
6:38 AM

Post #8642037

Glad to hear from you! Yes, I am afraid real summer weather is about to get us, but sure appreciated the unusally comfortable spring!

SW is having several problems both physical to her and situational at home and with her mom. She had a hard fall a couple weeks ago and that has affected her eyesight, reading and typing on the computer are out for awhile. If she has shared her phone number with any of you, a call would be appreciated, I am sure.
weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

June 22, 2011
7:02 PM

Post #8647986

Thank you Lynda for the info on Jules. I'll give her a call.
Hope everyone is doing well. Summer is here!
quiltygirl
No Central, AZ
(Zone 7b)

June 24, 2011
8:48 AM

Post #8651360

Man o man is it!

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 24, 2011
9:29 AM

Post #8651462

So sorry to hear SW is out of touch for a while! She's kind of the heart of this thread (no offense to the rest of the regular contributors!). If anyone talks to her, give her my regards!

Just got back from an almost 3 week driving trip covering 6 states and at least that many national and state parks and forests. Whew, am I exhausted! I planned to just take a couple of lazy days to recover, but 3 days after we got home, I am still just wiped out. The weeds are totally out of control in my garden, and I have no energy to go tackle them. Why do I need a vacation to recover from my vacation? LOL Good thing I am home for the summer (school's out for the summer!) or I'd be in trouble!

Angie

Samigal

Samigal
(Pegi) Norwalk, CA
(Zone 10b)

June 25, 2011
8:00 PM

Post #8654737

Sorry to hear that Jules took a bad fall. Yep, she does seem to be the heart of this thread, having two gardening round ups at her place puts her at the top of my list. Me thinks she works too hard! Not saying I didn't enjoy the others I've gone to because they really were enjoyable.

Enjoyed our spring, but not looking forward to our summer.
quiltygirl
No Central, AZ
(Zone 7b)

June 27, 2011
9:43 AM

Post #8657619

Bookerc1 - I am about to venture out on one of those driving trips. DH bought a used car in FL or all places (online). Cherry 2000 cadillac. I guess FL is the place to get low mileage, well maintained nice cars. Where seniors go before they die is what I believe he said. Anyway I am flying there on the 4th and so far am driving it back alone. DD has no desire to drive that long (neither do I, actually) and hates the idea of being in a cadillac. Heck, I am still to young for one of those, ha-ha. DH totalled our Taurus 3 weeks ago (hence the new car) and between his problem eyes (hence the accident) and pain pills for all his pain, there is no point in him going. Guess who that leaves?! Will visit family in Dallas area, maybe some DG friends? Will try to see some new stuff, as I have never been to MS, AL or LA on that route. However, considering temps and humidity, they maybe should be drive through states!!

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 27, 2011
12:18 PM

Post #8657910

Wow, be safe! That is a long drive all alone. Do you ever listen to audio books? I love them on long drives. They keep me alert better than music, and really help pass the time. Our library has some, and Cracker Barrel restaurant also has a selection that you "rent" at one Cracker Barrell, and can return at any other in the chain. Hope the A/C is in good working order! LOL

SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 28, 2011
7:21 PM

Post #8661107

Hey All,
I am glad QG, told you all that I've been having a hard time with the vision thing. Tis true, about my Mom. She had a major stroke while at the Dr.s office for her heart appt. We're still waiting to hear when they are going to do that heart surgery.
You know family is wonderful. I got to hand it to my Sis, and SIL#1 (she is married to EB#2, but was my first SIL). Between them, they
have made this whole ordeal better. Sis translated and talks to the Dr.s, and then tells us what that really means. SIL#1 has been awesome about getting Mom into a good Rehab place, right here in town. While I can't always visit her everyday, I can and do call her.
Best news there is I know she is in good hands, it's a really nice and caring place. All my sibs have been helpful and supportive. Now if only they'd do the heart surgeries so she can really start to recover.
Lord, forgive me for being grateful that I don't have to pick her up again.
You all, were too kind in your comments about me, and I will take them in the spirit they were intended. (You got me tearing up and blushing!) Okay, enough gushy stuff.
Finally got my new glasses. Yea! I can sort of see again. : - )
I had them get me trifocals, which are transition lenses, so no lines, and they are photo sensitive. I even like the flower shaped bling on the ear pieces of the glasses. : - )
Thing is it takes time to get used to them. But the good news is that I still have great peripheral vision even while wearing them. My aim is coming back. LOL!
I've missed all of you too. I hope that QG has a safe journey and will be praying for her.
BookerC, I need a vacation just from packing! I hope you can get your weeds under control soon. Mine are very happy right now.
Good to see you posting again, IDBlond, but you did have to rush with your planting, so I wasn't expecting to hear from you right away. This year have you been having cooler than normal weather? We have.
Sami, darling, it's always good to hear from you. What did you end up doing with your bowling ball mosaic? : - )
Weegy, I'm sorry, I must have missed your call. My phone keeps falling apart, which is most annoying. I'm hoping that you are spending lots of time with our lovely young Emma. : - )
I got a wonderful Surprise yesterday. : - ) A plant that I'd gotten from CA Sue? (Donna?) (It's a bad thing when you can't remember the name, but hey, I know the date! LOL!), at the first RU we hosted was still alive! I was so happy to see that I hadn't killed it. It was hiding under some other plants and well shaded, but then again I have things blooming out of season all over the place. Weird weather this year for sure.
My summer kid is getting our rental ready to rent out again, so I don't have his help with the yard work right now, and am Blessing who ever came up with automatic watering timer systems.
Was actually reading a book today when I came across this quote that I just had to share with you all.
BTW, I came across others, but just couldn't see well enough to share 'em.

"The distinction between the past, present and future
is only a stubbornly persistent illusion."
~Albert Einstein~
1879-1955

Don't know if I'll be able to post every day for a while. My vision still goes wonky with being on the computer too long.
Have so much to catch up on though. The baby burrowing owl, the gopher snake, Bubba, ES's Anime' Convention, Pow Wow, and the
4th of July coming up, so much to talk about and catch up on.
But for now, let's just say, I haven't been bored. LOL~
I really missed you all.
WIB~
SW

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 30, 2011
1:02 PM

Post #8664502

While I was on vacation, we stayed two nights at a little place called Chico Hot Springs in Montana. I was thrilled to find they had a garden and greenhouse behind the lodge, to supply the restaurant with fresh seasonal produce, and welcomed guests to go wander through and enjoy. They had little signs posted throughout with gardening quotes, and thinking of this thread, I took pictures of most of them! :)

Here's the first:

"To move freely, you must be deeply rooted." Bella Lewitsky

SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 30, 2011
1:47 PM

Post #8664584

I like that one, Angie. : - )

"The best part of life is when your family becomes
your friends and your friends become your family."

Oh, weegy! I am sorry I missed the news about GB#2, are you sure it's a boy yet? What's the due date? Are there names picked out?
I love babies, and you are so Blessed, weegy dear. : - ) I am surprised you have any time at all to go on-line. LOL!
Be well everyone. I seem to have caught a fever of some sort. No doubt at DH's class reunion. The restaurant they chose was toxic, and really cold. Even DH was affected.
I am going to take my meds and a nap.
Dress won't be done for the Pow Wow this weekend, but there will be other Pow Wow's.
Mom's surgery (I think?) is scheduled for July 6th. Sis's b.day.
Keep us in your prayers.
WIB~
SW

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 30, 2011
1:55 PM

Post #8664597

SW, so sorry to hear about your mom's stroke! I'm glad they've scheduled her surgery. Heart issues aren't something you want to leave unmanaged for longer than absolutely necessary!

Love your quote!

SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 30, 2011
2:02 PM

Post #8664619

Yup Angie, it's been driving all of us kids nuts, trying to get it scheduled, but that's another story, and I'm really having a hard time staying awake. Here's another before I pass out. LOL!

"If you never lose then you can never appreciate the victories."
~Laura Twitchell~

Thanks for caring, and please keep them positive thoughts coming our way. I know they help. : - )
WIB~
SW

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 30, 2011
4:08 PM

Post #8664875

We sure missed you while you were offline. The whole thread went quiet. I hope you get some rest, and have a chance to recover yourself! That virus doesn't sound good!

Another great quote, by the way. I tried to teach my boys something similar, as they bemoaned their losses in baseball and soccer. Winning wouldn't mean nearly as much to them if they'd never experienced losing. Seems that is a lost philosophy these days. What kind of self-esteem will they build when everyone receives the same reward, regardless of whether they've earned it?

Keeping the prayers and positive thoughts headed your way, SW. Be well!

SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 1, 2011
3:06 PM

Post #8666706

Thanks Angie,
I was able to make it in for my mani-pedicure. If I am able to go to Pow Wow this weekend, it would be good to have them talons trimmed. : - )
I tried to teach my boys that the only way you learn is by making mistakes. They weren't into organized sports. (Thank goodness!)
They were too busy running the hills, swimming, swinging, going on toad and lizard hunts. Even a few nights of star gazing and looking for meteors. Then they discovered the computer, and built their caves around it. Sigh.
Well here is another one for you.

"The power of the human will to compete and
the drive to excel beyond the body's normal capabilities
is most beautifully demonstrated in the arena of sport."
~Aimee Mullins~

IMHO, dancing is not just an art form, but also a sport.
In my case it also has spiritual aspects, too.

I don't know if I gave you this one before, but it is a goldie! : - )

"To find joy in work is
to discover the fountain of youth."
~Pearl S. Buck~

Hope everyone has a wonderful 4th of July Holiday.
WIB,
SW

PS~photo of me at the San Luis Rey Pow Wow with my friend Ronnie. I'm the short one with the long hair. LOL! : - )

Thumbnail by SingingWolf

Barbsbackyard
Santa Barbara, CA
(Zone 10a)

July 4, 2011
8:52 AM

Post #8671536

I've enjoyed lurking and reading the all the thoughts you have shared.

I would like to add a thought that I've always liked.

George Eliot wrote this one. . . "It is never too late to become what you might have been."

Have a great 4th.

SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 5, 2011
1:26 PM

Post #8674137

Welcome to this thread Bby. I like George Eliot (wasn't she a woman author?) And that quote is a goody! One to try to improve on every day. : - )
I must be getting used to my new glasses. When I clicked on the thumbnail of Ronnie and me, 'cause it looked like our heads were chopped off, (which Queen kept saying that in "Alice of Wonderland"?)
and I noticed that my eyes are closed, too. I always seem to know and blink for posed photos. LOL!
Except with that brown pelican last year. : 0 )
Quick update on my Mom, and my own condition, because this is the only time I'm going to have for the next few days. Mom goes in on Wed. July 6th (sis's B.day), for her heart surgery. EB#1 will be with her at the hospital. I have 3 Dr. appt's that day myself, and will go hang out with my brother when I get done with the second one. Keep us in your prayers. It's all in the Creator's hands now.

I found this quote in the Harris' Farmer's Almanac, 2010 edition.
"Keep in mind that even if you are on the right track,
you'll get run over if you just sit there."

Hoping everyone had a great Independence Day. Ours was hot, but we did go to the Pow Wow at Pechanga on Saturday. Photos haven't been downloaded yet. Ran into a lot of friends and had a good day, and enjoyed their fireworks. : - )
What'd you all do?
WIB~
SW

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 5, 2011
2:36 PM

Post #8674289

Love the picture of you, even with your eyes closed. I have a knack for doing that, too! Will keep you and your family in prayer as you deal with all these health issues!

Here is my thought for the day, another from the gardens at Chico Hot Springs in Montana:

Live each season as it passes: breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each. ~Henry David Thoreau

Barbsbackyard
Santa Barbara, CA
(Zone 10a)

July 6, 2011
6:20 PM

Post #8677006

Keeping you and your mother in our thoughts and prayers Singing Wolf. We hope everything goes well.

Yes, George Eliot is a pseudonym for Mary Anne Evans. What an interesting life. . .

It is warm and humid on the central coast. Guess it is all that moisture coming up from the gulf of Mexico. It even has the dogs down and out. We spent a quiet fourth. Watched the capitol's celebration on TV. Hubby wasn't up to doing anything this year. He has been having problems with his breathing and this weather doesn't help much.

Take care everyone.
weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

July 6, 2011
6:38 PM

Post #8677050

I'm praying for you and your family Jules. Hope all goes well.
Let us know how all of your appointments went too.

"If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all" don't know who said it, but I do.

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 6, 2011
6:52 PM

Post #8677065

Hope your mom's surgery, and all of your doctor appointments, went well today, Jules! Keeping you guys in prayer. I know you'll update us when you get a chance to check in next, but in the meantime, sending healing thoughts your way!

OK, time for another "Thought for the Day" from that greenhouse in Montana:

"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." Kahlil Gibran

SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 7, 2011
4:29 PM

Post #8678963

Thank you one and all. : - )
Okay, first the update on Mom. Her surgery has been postponed to July 13th due to someone not ordering the stent she needs for the surgery. : - (
EB#1 insisted on bringing her home until then. She has to have someone with her that can lift her at all times. My boys are not happy.
EB#1 blew up his engine (will he ever learn to check fluids?) on the trip up here. YS is sitting with his Gma, while EB#1 talks to the bank about getting a loan.
My Rheumatologist wants me to gain back the 10 lbs. I lost the last few weeks of being a yo yo. I totally forgot to ask her the questions I meant to about my thyroid panel test, because she moved my appt. time. Rats! She also would rather have me taking vicodin, but I won't, that stuff is terrible for IBS. So I think she gave up on me and told me to come back in 2 months and let her know if I need refills. She was in a rush to get to all the patients so she wouldn't miss some last minute meeting.
Why is it that you have to pay the DR. if you don't give them 24 hours notice, but they don't even say they are sorry when they rearrange your whole day by giving you less that 24 hours notice when they change your appt? It's not fair, and it added to my stress. If it happens again I guess I'll be looking for a new Rheumatologist. I waited longer than she actually spent talking to me. Heck, most chiropractors spend more time than she spent with me yesterday.
I'm really disappointed.
The counseling went fine. Except for having to climb the stairs because some one without a handicapped placard, parked in the only handicapped spot on that level. Grrr!
We almost had a thunderstorm, and I saw a lot of lightning up towards Cucamonga, and the San Gorgonio Mts.
My Chiropractor gave me a good tune up. : - )
Then I came home a took a much needed nap.

BookerC, you are much too kind. I am wearing my old Tear Dress in that photo. I believe Ronnie is Apache, which is why she gets to wear the cooler short sleeves. : - )
Still have to download the photos I took and had taken over the weekend.
Love that Thoreau quote. : - )
Barbsbackyard, thanks for letting me know who the person is behind the pseudonym. : - ) I'm going to see if I can find a biography on her at the library.
I've always enjoyed Kahlil Gibran's writings, but that quote is a grand one. People forget sometimes we are a part of Creation not apart from it.
Hope your DH feels better soon, too! : - )
Weegy, I can't remember who said that about luck either. Maybe Mae West? I hope you didn't mean that you've been having bad luck lately?
This is all I got for you today.

"My life is a soap opera, and just as soon as I find out who is writing the script I'm suing."
~Anon~

WIB,
SW

SkeptikSharon
Ontario, CA
(Zone 8b)

July 8, 2011
8:00 AM

Post #8680091

I like that quote SingingWolf. Definitely need to find out who is writing this thing! =)

It drives me crazy, too, that we have to pay to cancel last minute, but there are no consequences for the doctor moving appointments around. Sometimes I get so irritated when they call to have me come in at a different time, I just cancel right there. It's hard enough to just make it to the doctor's offices without having the scheduling all messed up.

I hear you about the vicodin and IBS. My old pain doc had me on pain meds for a long time, and they tore up my digestive system. I won't touch any pain meds now unless I have to go to the ER for a severe migraine or something. I really wish that doctors would better think through the consequences of the medications they prescribe.

This heat is kicking my butt. I'm ready for fall. =)

-Sharon
quiltygirl
No Central, AZ
(Zone 7b)

July 14, 2011
7:46 AM

Post #8691729

Sharon and Weegy - thought of you guys when we were at and around Ontario Mills the other day.

Barbsbackyard - welcome, don't believe I have seen you on any other forums before. I used to live in SB and would love to live there again, but who can afford to go back? Love the moderate climate there. Your 'hot and humid' is not likely like ours, lol. What part of the city do you live in? Our family lived near 154 and Foothill, across from La Colina Jr Hi, then as a young adult lived in the Isla Vista area near UCSB. I went to San Marcos HS and one of my good friends lives across Hollister from SMHS now. I am way overdue for a respite (er, visit) there. Have considered going back for Fiesta one of these years.

SW - Sounds like a couple jugs of De Jongs chocolate milk are called for for you!! Sounds like you are coming to the same conclusion about your Rheumatologist as DH did (and she could afford a few extra pounds herself!). Anymore I am more surprised when we DON'T have to wait a long time in a doctor's waiting room. I keep the Reader's Digest in my purse to always assure I have reading material. Amazingly some waiting rooms have nothing to read. Hope you and mom are doing better.

We continue to drive all over (put 1000 miles on our 'new to us' car in 10 days) for doctor and other appts in 3 counties as I chauffeur DH around while his sight is still off. He drove on his own yesterday to Temecula to a car service place and next thing you know he drove to look at property in Fallbrook. Scary thought of him driving in unknown territory, likely in hills and such. I sent a text to a sister a couple days ago about being stressed about spending long days as a chauffeur while being criticized about my driving. Funny sis wrote back "tell Stevie Wonder to get in, buckle up and shut up"!
SkeptikSharon
Ontario, CA
(Zone 8b)

July 14, 2011
10:18 AM

Post #8691994

Aw, quiltygirl, you were in our neck of the woods! =) Wow, I cannot believe you guys put so many miles on the car in so little time! You really are driving all over the place for these appts!

SingingWolf - Did your mom go in for surgery? Hope that all has gone well with that!
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 18, 2011
2:45 PM

Post #8700100

QG,
Thank you and your funny Sis, for the best laugh I've had in weeks. : - )
DH always drives because he constantly criticizes my ultra-cautious driving. Except when he drinks. I've told him that the next time he criticizes me when I'm driving, I will have a piece of duct tape stuck to the back of his headrest and will apply it to his mouth. Honestly, it's hard enough without him stressing me out.
Some DeJong's is definitely called for. : - )
Call me when you aren't being a chauffeur, okay?
RE: Dr.s I did tell them that it was the 2nd time in a row that I had to reschedule for her last minute business meetings, and I need more than 24 hours to wrap my brain around things. She(the Dr.) is awfully skinny her own self, and taller than me too. You think I should start telling her to eat? LOL!
The thing about Dr.s is they don't want you to get better, they just want to treat your symptoms, as if there were no cures. Now I know that isn't true about all Dr.s but it seems to me (IMHO), that these days most Dr.s are pimps for the pharmaceutical companies. I think I'd be in better health if I hadn't followed their advice and just stuck to homeopathic remedies.
About migraines. They are awful, and I've had more than my fair share. I found a chiropractor who can make them go away. It's painful for about five minutes for both of us. He has to put pressure in a certain place where my neck and head connect, and when he's done I go home and sleep for a bit, and when I wake up, the horrible pain is gone. I am so lucky sometimes. Thanks be to the Creator, and to my chiropractor.
SSharon, Momma had the surgery on the 13th, and was released into EB#1's care the next day. I haven't seen her since I caught some kind of respiratory thing, been running a fever, sleeping a lot, and staying as far away from EB#1 as I can get.

I keep thinking about it, and I think that it was Mae West or W.C. Fields who said that If it wasn't for bad luck they wouldn't have any luck at all. I wish I knew for sure, 'cause it bugging me.

Another sports quote, but it's applicable to lots of other situations too!

"Any guy who can maintain a positive attitude without much playing time certainly earns my respect."
~Earvin "Magic" Johnson~

Working on this one. : - )

"Courage is not the absence of fear. It is being afraid but
being able to control that fear so you are able to perform
at your highest ability. That's what makes a champion."
~Cory Lester~

That's it for me today. I'll be back tomorrow. I miss you all. : - )
WIB~
SW

dillansnana
Hemet, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 18, 2011
3:29 PM

Post #8700248

So very happy to see you posting dear Jules. You've been on my heart in prayer.

Love you girl,
Sylvia
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 19, 2011
1:05 PM

Post #8702063

I feel very sad today after hearing of the passing of our friend Donna, aka SoCal.

My thoughts and prayers are for her family and friends today. May they find comfort in the memories and the stories we share with them. May they also find comfort in the many posts, photos and threads she left here for them on DG.

Walk In Beauty~
SingingWolf

SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 20, 2011
7:09 PM

Post #8704832

A thought or two for today.
"Individual glory is insignificant when
compared to achieving victory as a team."
~Dot Richardson~

Go Team DG!

"It is amazing how quickly the kids learn to drive a car, yet are unable to understand the lawnmower, snowblower, or vacuum cleaner."
~Ben Bergor~

He ain't talking about my kids. I had to practically force them to get their driver's licenses, they've been driving the riding lawnmower for most of their lives, they have never seen a snow blower, but a leaf blower is much the same, and Jake won't let 'em touch it, and last but not least, my in-laws talked us into buying a Kirby, and my young children (at that time) decided it was a transformer and promptly lost half the pieces making it transform. We generally have to buy a new vacuum cleaner once a year. They are awfully hard on them. I guess they figure if it's broken they don't have to vacuum.
Now if only they could figure out the washing machine, the dryer and the dishwasher. Although, ES did learn where the reset button is on the garbage disposal last week. LOL!
Kids! Ya gotta love 'em.
WIB,
SW

WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

July 20, 2011
9:12 PM

Post #8705087

SW, they just have to get married. My DS got married and after a week his new wife told him she was not his mother and this is what she expected. And he said, "Yes honey, and has towed the line for 5 years. He is 47, an Internist, and first time married. And he has "A Son", who will be 2 in November. Get the full picture. She is 13 years younger than him but very life smart. I support her all the way because he was spoiled rotten. LOL.

I will keep you posted on DH. And I am so sorry for our friend. Sharon.

DH is very sick again so please place us in your prayers. Getting old sucks.
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 21, 2011
10:45 AM

Post #8706262

Sharon, Will say extra prayers for your DH. Yup, getting old sucks!
But when you really think about it. What alternative do we have? Hmmm.
This is a little long but perhaps it will give us all some perspective.

"Medicine Woman
Listens to the needs of her
truest self and wisest voice.
Trusts and respects herself with
tenderness and grace.
Heals in the present by walking
through her past.
Believes in herself and her enduring
inner strength with a divine spirituality.
Imagines her goals and moves toward
them using her resources and creativity.
Celebrates her years believing her
inner and outer self is beautiful just as it is.
Loves herself and values the friendships
of other women in her life."
~NAI Saying - Author unknown~

Sharon, sometimes life does suck lemons, but our friends help us turn it into lemonade. : - )

Have a good day everyone.
WIB,
SW

quiltygirl
No Central, AZ
(Zone 7b)

July 23, 2011
1:08 PM

Post #8710950

WLSharon - will keep your DH in prayer. Last time, didn't they find out his energy drinks to be a big part of his illness? Something new?
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

July 23, 2011
3:30 PM

Post #8711117

Yes. Just dehydration this time. He is saying he understands now but that is because I was so furious with him. The first three questions I asked him the answer was NO. That is when I lost my cool. I do not raise my voice, I just go in another room and read. He got exactly "Zero" sympathy from me.

It is 3:30pm and I am still in my PJ's. I need to get off the couch and do something. To hot outside. Later, Sharon
quiltygirl
No Central, AZ
(Zone 7b)

July 24, 2011
5:17 PM

Post #8713079

Men!!
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 25, 2011
8:54 AM

Post #8714074

Ditto what Lynda said. : - (
WIB,
SW
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

July 28, 2011
8:03 PM

Post #8722096

A THOUGHT FOR TODAY:
The tax which will be paid for the purpose of education is not more than the thousandth part of what will be paid to kings, priests, and nobles who will rise up among us if we leave the people in ignorance. -Thomas Jefferson, third US president, architect and author (1743-1826)

Sharon ~ Sorry to hear that Vern is sick again. Is he better now?
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

July 28, 2011
8:04 PM

Post #8722100

The true gardener must be brutal, and imaginative for the future. -- Vita Sackville-West, English novelist, poet, gardener
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

July 28, 2011
8:07 PM

Post #8722106

A THOUGHT FOR TODAY:
I'd like to widen people's awareness of the tremendous timespan lying ahead -- for our planet, and for life itself. Most educated people are aware that we're the outcome of nearly 4bn years of Darwinian selection, but many tend to think that humans are somehow the culmination. Our sun, however, is less than halfway through its lifespan. Six billion years from now, it will not be humans who watch the sun's demise. Any creatures that then exist will be as different from us as we are from bacteria or amoebae. -Martin Rees, cosmologist and astrophysicist (b. 1942)

WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

July 28, 2011
9:19 PM

Post #8722253

Vern is better "Again". Dehydration again. His daughter is coming tonight so she will take over.

Evelyn, I love your thought of the day. And I think all this gardening I do every day is making a difference. Well it is to me. It keeps me sane. So i guess it is a good thing for my neighbors also.

Love you all, Sharon.
quiltygirl
No Central, AZ
(Zone 7b)

July 28, 2011
9:25 PM

Post #8722263

I am coping with 'men' right now by being out on the patio, drink in hand, Using my iPod on the dark as a computer. Feels good envisioning myself on a tropical island.
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 14, 2011
7:33 PM

Post #8756720

Profound thoughts evelyn. : - )
Good ones to ponder.
Glad to hear you are getting some help Sharon. : - )
Gee, QG, you should have invited me, or let me know and I'd have invited you over.
Even still life goes on.

"He who laughs last probably didn't get the joke."
~Unknown~

I may have used this one before but it seems apropriate, considering that my kids, without a word to me, moved out last week. DH has a lot to answer for.

"Adolescence is perhaps nature's way of preparing parents to welcome the empty nest."
Well, looking on the bright side, I won't have pick up after them and their friends. Now ES & YS have to pay for Thomas' mass consumption of Peanut Butter! LOL~
Hope not to be a stranger, but this is going to be a busy week, with Dr. , Dentist (twilight), and a Baby Shower! : - )
Be well, be happy, I have missed you all.
WIB~
SW
weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

August 14, 2011
8:05 PM

Post #8756756

Sorry to hear about your empty nest Jules. I had a hard time with that.
Hope you're feeling better though. Good to hear from you.
Hugs!
quiltygirl
No Central, AZ
(Zone 7b)

August 15, 2011
11:15 AM

Post #8757773

Yes SW, good to bear from you! I can't believe no one said anything about their move till it was a done deal. They still do some work for DH? We had 8 of those 17 to 18 year old at home last night when I got home from USC Hospital. Just wanted quiet and kids were not too bad but 4 dogs barking at 8 kids was!

BTW, DH is having major surgery all day today at USC. They are removing his bladder with Stage II cancer (that they just happened to find during CT scan from his car accident in June). They will then (hopefully) build a new bladder from intestinal tissue. Likely ICU till Wed and 7-10 day stay overall.
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 15, 2011
2:12 PM

Post #8757986

Thanks weegy. : - )
I'll be praying for your DH, QG. Please keep us posted.

My quote for today:

What my Mom taught me:
Religion - "You better pray that comes out of the carpet"
Logic - "Because I said so, that's why"
Irony - "Keep crying and I'll give you something to cry about"
Wisdom - "When you get to my age you'll understand"
Justice - "One day you'll have kids, I hope they turn out just like you!!"
Repost if your mom taught you :)

Hope it gave a few of you some chuckles and grins.
WIB~
SW
weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

August 15, 2011
8:44 PM

Post #8758734

Thinking of you QG, hope all goes well. I'll be thinking of you and your family.
Love that one Jules, my mom said them all! Glad to hear from you again.
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

August 15, 2011
10:02 PM

Post #8758802

Love them, Jules.

My Mum: "I'll give you something to smirk about, young lady"
weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

August 16, 2011
7:23 AM

Post #8759276

The justice one...my mom said "when you have kids, I hope they're 20 times worse than you!!!!"
I used to tell my kids when they asked me 'why'..."because I'm the mom and I said so."
Oh well, they all turned out ok!

Samigal

Samigal
(Pegi) Norwalk, CA
(Zone 10b)

August 16, 2011
5:51 PM

Post #8760085

Haven't been around for a while, just lurking. Prayers being said for your DH-QG. Please keep us posted, amazing what can be done.
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 16, 2011
7:04 PM

Post #8760251

Okay do you remember your Mom telling you to "wipe that expression off your faces before it freezes like that?"
My mantra to my boys was, "I am not responsible for finding your shoes. You took them off, you find them."
They were late for a couple of days, but they learned to leave them either in their room or under the front hall table. : - )

"It's a strange world of language in which skating
on thin ice can get you into hot water."
~Franklin P. Jones~

QG, I'm hoping to hear from you soon, about your DH's surgery.
I'm praying everything went well, and he will heal fast.
Sending huge "HUGS"!
WIB~
SW
quiltygirl
No Central, AZ
(Zone 7b)

August 17, 2011
12:50 AM

Post #8760706

Tired right now. Surgery was 12 hours yesterday and I got to see him for 5 min at 11PM before they shoed me out. All went as planned, except longer due to all his abdominal scarring from unrelated surgeries and raditation. We have been married 19 year and they all happened in my 'regime', LOL! Today he was in ICU all day, the took his breathing tube out, but still has tons of tubes and such coming from everywhere. They had him sit in chair twice too - good for his lungs. About 8:30 PM he started getting very agitated and would not keep from trying to pull stuff out and they ended up having to do soft restraints. 2 Nurses, aid, and I had hard time keeping his hands down during the process. Is still very incoherent at times, kind of usual older person/drugs thing. Maybe tomorrow our of ICU and into a reg. room. Dr. said no other cancer, but longer recuperation period, maybe in hospital till the 26 - his birthday. His sons are coming in tomorrow (by phone he wanted them there to break him out).
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 19, 2011
10:53 AM

Post #8764852

QG,
Men are the worst patients, (except for RN's, Dr.s and Lawyers, no offense meant if you are any of the above.)
Get your rest while you can. I'm just down the road and after this weekend will be able to come see you.
I am going in for that Twilight Dentist today. I'm scare stupid.
Which is not a good thought, so lets keep praying for QG's DH, and find a good one.

I like this one.

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes.
Art is knowing which ones to keep."
~Scott Adams~

Another good one.

"Don't look down on anyone unless you are helping them up."
~Jesse Jackson~

Okay, this is my last one for now.

"There are some people who live in a dream world,
and there are some who face reality;
and then there are those who turn one into the other."
~Douglas Everett~

Have a great weekend, all.
WIB~
SW

quiltygirl
No Central, AZ
(Zone 7b)

August 20, 2011
1:10 AM

Post #8765829

Love that last one. DH is in a regular room now and a LITTLE less delusional. A lot less tubes connected to him.
weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

August 20, 2011
7:52 AM

Post #8766099

Lynda, hope everything is going well with DH's surgery. Take care.
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 22, 2011
11:39 AM

Post #8771109

Glad to hear your DH doesn't look like a "Borg" now. I do hope that you are getting enough rest.

About that last quote, I firmly believe that nothing is ever achieved without there first being an idea or thought. Who is to say when they become one and the same?

You all are going to love this one. LOL!

"It's not where you're from; it's where you're going.
It's not what you drive; it's what drives you.
It's not what's on you; it's what's in you.
It's not what you think; it's what you know."
~Gatorade Commercial~

Who'd have thought that they could come up with a good quote like this? Not me!
You all have a good day, now!
Lynda, I'm still keeping your DH in my prayers.
WIB,
SW

Samigal

Samigal
(Pegi) Norwalk, CA
(Zone 10b)

August 30, 2011
12:33 PM

Post #8785253

Happy to hear DH's surgery went well and praying for a good recovery, Lynda. That man sure has had his share and then some of medical problems.

The 'Amen'! of nature is always a flower.

Olivery Wendall Holmes
quiltygirl
No Central, AZ
(Zone 7b)

August 30, 2011
10:02 PM

Post #8786189

Oh Boy, I have not updated DH's condition on this thread. He was released Monday the 22nd and ended up in ER all day/eve locally here on Tues, then transported back to USC where he has had a couple other procedures (not surgeries) and is still there. I have some additional details on the "Today I am Thankful For" Forum. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1214577/

Samigal

Samigal
(Pegi) Norwalk, CA
(Zone 10b)

August 31, 2011
2:28 PM

Post #8787306

SW did the fire there get close to you? DH just informed me they mentioned Scott Road.

quiltygirl
No Central, AZ
(Zone 7b)

September 1, 2011
9:44 AM

Post #8788556

I saw the smoke as I was coming back from the hospital and my Step son gave me the roads. Sounds like it was not too near SW.
weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

September 1, 2011
9:47 AM

Post #8788565

Lynda, thinking of you and your hubby. Hope he recovers soon. You've both been through a lot lately. Hugs to you both.
Just saw the news about the fire this morning, hope it didn't affect SW.
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 3, 2011
11:55 AM

Post #8791634

For those who asked, the fire was further east along Scott Road, on the other side of the 215 fwy.
We just saw the smoke.
Glad to get the update on your DH Lynda.

Have a very nice Labor Day Weekend everyone.
WIB~
SW
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 30, 2011
9:34 AM

Post #8830447

Gee, I can't post for a while and you all stop with the quotes? What's up? Is everyone in good health?
Well, I have intermittent internet connection. Been at the beach. Miss the sun.
I have a couple of quotes for ya.

"Love itself draws on a woman
nearly all the bad luck in the world."
~Willa Cather~

"A little more than kin,
and less than kind."
~William Shakespeare~

I miss you all, and don't forget that because of the construction work and YS hogging the internet, it's been hard for me to get on-line.
WIB~
SW
dillansnana
Hemet, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 30, 2011
1:44 PM

Post #8830720

SW

My thought for the day is: Welcome back Jules!!! I know we've all missed you so much!

Sylvia
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 11, 2011
3:29 PM

Post #8845358

Not really back. Dental work is hard for me, since I always get sick afterwards. Still sick.
I've missed all of you, and hope you are all well.
WIB~
SW
dillansnana
Hemet, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 12, 2011
2:31 PM

Post #8846547

A hymn lyric: "All is well, all is well with my soul". What wonderful words to ponder. Peace, in our soul! A thought to pursue, something to long for, strive for.

Love youz,
Sylvia
weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

October 12, 2011
4:15 PM

Post #8846700

Grreat words Sylvia. I hope everyone is well.

Samigal

Samigal
(Pegi) Norwalk, CA
(Zone 10b)

October 12, 2011
6:03 PM

Post #8846823

No quotes, just lurking around and hope everyone is doing well. I'm not too happy with this heat wave, but it too will pass.
weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

October 12, 2011
9:52 PM

Post #8847048

Same here Pegi.
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 14, 2011
8:42 AM

Post #8848678

I'm not getting the heat as bad as Samigal & Weegy, but I'm grateful for it. I was so cold at the beach . . .
But the bioluminescence from the red tide was worth staying up late to watch. : - )

I found this little quote on a magnet that I found at the corner market. I just couldn't resist.

"Count your RAINBOWS not your thunderstorms."
~Alyssa Knight - age 12~

Such wisdom from a child. : - )
Gives me hope, and yes, I bought the magnet! LOL!
Hoping everyone is okay. : - )
WIB~
SW

weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

October 14, 2011
10:02 AM

Post #8848749

Not as hot as the last couple of days for sure SW. Glad to see you posting again. Hope you're feeling better!

"What lies in our power to do, lies in our power not to do." - Aristotle
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 14, 2011
4:41 PM

Post #8849176

Good one Weegy, I've missed you. Heard it was pretty hot out your way, so I'm glad it's cooling down.

Here's one I found (I've been saving 'em up, LOL), that I really like. : - )

"Forgiveness means letting go of a hurtful situation
and moving on with your own happiness."
~Amanda Ford~

Moving right along . . .
Walk In Beauty my Friends~
SingingWolf
weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

October 15, 2011
3:45 PM

Post #8850167

It's cooler now SW. It was pretty warm here. Miss all of my DG friends...:(
I do like this one.

Let us be grateful to people who make us happy, they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom. ~Marcel Proust

This message was edited Oct 15, 2011 3:45 PM
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 17, 2011
11:51 AM

Post #8852697

That's a great quote Weegy. : - )
Most of your DG friends are still here, but life happens, and sometimes you just can't check in.

I've always tried to live this way.

"The point is not to pay back kindness but to pass it on."
~Julia Alvarez~

I call it, "paying it forward".

Another one, I just love, and also practice.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because
those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
~Dr. Suess~

I love Dr. Suess and all his rhyming.
Hugs to all~
WIB~
SW

weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

October 17, 2011
11:58 AM

Post #8852701

I know, I know SW. Life has its way of getting in the way! Don't I know...grandchild #4 is on the way. (Emma's mom is due in May). I'll be babysitting my 3 month old grandson a few days a week now along with Emma and then baby Brylyn will be here in the next few weeks!
Love all of your quotes.
Here's mine for today...

"It takes a long time to grow an old friend."
- by John Leonard
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 18, 2011
11:07 AM

Post #8854116

Sweet Weegy,
Great news about the grandbabies, I hope everyone is in good health and has easy pregnancies and Emma likes having a sibling. If she's like my ES, he was jealous of all the attention his YB was getting. (His YB was a premie). So give her extra hugs from me, okay?
Loved your quote. It's very true. Here's mine for today.

"Be yourself. An original is always worth more than a copy."
~Unknown~

and another . . .

"Live only for today, for tomorrow may never come."
~Unknown~

When my sis lived on Kodiak Island they always used to say, "Eat, drink and be Merry for tomorrow you may die." Kind of the same thing.

Here is the best one for today.

"Don't wait until people are dead to give them flowers."
~Sean Covey~

Doesn't have to be flowers as long as they know they are appreciated, because life is too short and we don't know how much time we will have with our loved ones. Thanks for being a part of my flower garden. : - )
Miss everyone else, but I guess they are getting ready for winter?
WIB~
SW
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 31, 2011
12:28 PM

Post #8870631

Hey, where is everyone? I know I've been busy because of Dr. appts. and our Pumpkin Patch, but where is everyone else?
I'll be starting a new page of this thread tomorrow for our friends who use dial up, so if you got anything you want to say today, spit it out! I'm getting lonely here.

"We have no choice of what we're born or
who our parents are or whether we're rich or poor.
What we do have is some choice over
what we make of our lives once we're here."

Wishing everyone a safe and Happy Halloween.

Walk In Beauty~
SingingWolf
weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

October 31, 2011
4:00 PM

Post #8870928

Can't speak for anyone else but I've been busy...watching grandbabies...Emma 3 days a week and Anthony 2 or 3 times a week. The other 4 days are spent catching up around here.
Miss everyone too.
Here's mine for today!

Thumbnail by weegy12

SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 1, 2011
3:05 PM

Post #8872283

weegy,
I already knew that you were busy with Grandbabies, and your Mom too. Please give her my best. : - )

Your quote reminds of a saying,
"I'd rather be an outlaw than an in-law. At least outlaws are wanted."
~Author unknown~

Hope everyone had a Happy Halloween. But can't believe someone actually thought we'd be open for business today. Go Figure! LOL!

WIB~
SW
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 8, 2011
2:05 PM

Post #8881849

Okay, I know it's overdue, but last week was Dr. appt. after Dr. appt. Which sort of wore me out.

I started a new page of this thread for everyone. Here is how to get there:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1229251/

I can't tell you how many times, a post has made my day, and turned a tradgedy into an absurdity.

So here is a quote to end this page, and I hope that you'll join me on the new page.

"The best part of life is when your family becomes
your friends and your friends become your family."
~Danica Whitfield~

I liked this quote a lot, and I'm sure I've used it before. Thanks for being friends! : - )
Thanks too for joining in with your thoughts, poetry, jokes, quotes and even prayers.
Walk In Beauty~
SingingWolf

This message was edited Nov 8, 2011 2:06 PM

This message was edited Nov 8, 2011 2:07 PM

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other California Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hello fellow Californians....let's introduce ourselves! Kachinagirl 398 Mar 12, 2011 9:02 PM
Your area's best nurseries srkrause 98 Aug 9, 2007 10:51 PM
Any gopher solutions? Zuzu 410 Nov 19, 2011 8:08 PM
Procrastinating and Pots Happenstance 114 May 8, 2007 11:53 AM
Anyone else have squirrel problems? lilystorm 23 Aug 2, 2008 6:40 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America