Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Recipes: Recipe for Atol de Haba???

Communities > Forums > Recipes
bookmark
Forum: RecipesReplies: 6, Views: 63
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

April 29, 2011
4:13 PM

Post #8529002

Went to a Guatemalan grocery last week with my daughter in TN. Bought some yummy chocolate and also a package of lima bean atole powder (Mi Guatemala brand containing lima bean, corn and cinnamon) but it has no directions on the package for mixing. The most I can tell is that it's mixed with hot milk and sugar but have no idea about quantities. I would be truly grateful if anyone had a recipe to pass along.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 29, 2011
4:58 PM

Post #8529059

Cindy, what you have is the instant coffee version of an atol. The atol de habas I know uses fava beans and is a pureed beverage/soup. Sometimes toasted cornmeal is added (a good thing) which really enriches the flavor. The favas (habas) are cooked and then after the favas are peeled they are pureed in their cooking liquid to a thin soup consistency. Salt, cinnamon and sugar are added to taste. Just like coffee, there is not an exact way to make it and can be individualized at service. I like only a hint of sugar.

So, since you are actually making instant atol de habas, I would reconstitute some of the powder in water to the consistency of thin soup. You could use all or part milk, which may be used in Guatemala, but I am not aware of this preparation. Most Hispanic and Latino people did not own cows and this is a very old recipe. I'm not sure milk would be authentic. However, it would be more like those who like their coffee black and those that like it with milk. Those that like their soups creamy and those that like them as a simple broth. There really isn't a simple recipe for this besides a pinch of this or that. Whole cinnamon sticks are part of the bean cooking but since you have a powder you will need to use powdered cinnamon for flavor. I don't think whole sticks will steep long enough in an instant mixture to be noticeable.
L
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

April 30, 2011
7:27 AM

Post #8530061

Thanks for all of that information! The nutritional information on the package says 2 tbsp per serving so I'm assuming that this would make a cup of the beverage. While the powder does contain some cinnamon, I did look for some cinnamon sticks at the store but not in stock. A rainy weekend and a slight cold will make this a good drink to try.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 30, 2011
3:17 PM

Post #8530753

Hope you feel better, Cindy. Will you be able to taste the atol? This thread is reminding me of the ton and a half of yerba our youngest son gave me to make mate (that last word needs a diacritical accent I can't make). It's been sitting here for two years. I don't know what he was thinking when he gave me this stuff that's steeped in a gourd and then passed around among friends. I am wary 'cause I can barely handle coffee.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

April 30, 2011
4:21 PM

Post #8530878

Taste buds are in good shape - just runny nose and scratchy throat, which is making the rounds in my family.
Mate? Nothing like kava kava? DD had a taste of that stuff in Fiji.
After thinking about the milk vs water, it makes sense to use water. I'm up for trying that later tonight. I'm a coffee addict so have to make sure I get my daily dose of caffeine before trying a soothing drink, which will be in-line with being a couch potato tonight after spending all day outside.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 30, 2011
4:54 PM

Post #8530935

Get well soon, Cindy and I'd love to here what you think of the atol. Good news that you were able to spend the day outdoors. Hopefully getting some gardening done?
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

May 1, 2011
7:57 AM

Post #8532048

Due to the winds yesterday, I had to be content doing odd jobs in the garden rather than cleaning up last fall's leaves. But I did get some winter sown poppies planted out yesterday as the big highlight of the day.
Didn't get a chance to try the atol last night as DH brought me some Mike's Hard Lemonade in pomegranate with blueberry version. But the atol is still on the countertop, ready to be used.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Recipes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Banana Split Cake / Personal Pizzas Gayl 1 Aug 14, 2012 9:18 AM
Recipes of ALL the USA States gardendragon 102 Jul 20, 2011 5:26 AM
Crescent Lasagna Nebraska_Jewel 3 Aug 22, 2011 6:35 PM
S.Louisiana Dirty Rice justmeLisa 68 Oct 6, 2010 7:51 PM
Just for GardenDragon Brook 6 Aug 18, 2012 2:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America