Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Begonias: Begonia maculata var. wightii. Hardier than usually thought?

Communities > Forums > Begonias
bookmark
Forum: BegoniasReplies: 5, Views: 174
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
atisch
Alameda, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 29, 2011
10:42 PM

Post #8529561

About a year ago I started learning that a number of begonias, essentially of all major classes are often hardier than usually or commonly thought. I'm of course particularly interested in possible candidates for my own outside garden, which is near the Northern California coast; a particularly cool Zone 9b. I've seen a number of cane and fibrous begonias survive our winters and even a Rex or two.

One begonia species I decided to experiment with is B. maculata var. wightii as it is a beauty indoors. The coolest climate reported in the DG PlantFiles, is 10b. Logee's, from whom I originally obtained my plant, also states the limit at Zone 10.

I planted a cutting that I rooted in early September into a partially shaded and protected SSE location in early November. Our winter proved to be cooler and wetter than usual, though the lowest temperature I noted at my location was 29. While the plant lost 3 of it's 4 leaves it survived and is now starting to grow again. Considering that the plant didn't have much of a root system, only spent about 2 weeks outside before planting and that it was planted in the ground so late, makes it's survival all the more significant. I would encourage others to try their luck at least in zone 8b or 9a.

In addition to any comments by others experience with this particular species and any hybrids derived from it, I would encourage others to discuss any other Begonias that can survive outdoors in climates cooler than normally reported.

The plant pictured here is the mother plant. It has been growing in a large unobstructed NNW window and is currently 30" tall. The leaves reach over 11 inches in length with beautiful metallic silver spots and are deep red on the leaf backs.

Allan

Thumbnail by atisch
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Flicker
Covington, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 4, 2011
9:08 AM

Post #8539145

You have the magic touch! I have been successful with canes in general, but always loose this one. It seems to hate everyting that I do. What is your soil mix?
atisch
Alameda, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 4, 2011
11:50 AM

Post #8539452

Thanks,

The soil is well-drained topsoil with some humus. Also the plant was pretty-well protected by a house wall and shrubs. From my limited experience with growing Begonias indoors, I believe the most important factors are soil with good drainage and some protection from the drying winter winds.

Allan
looking_glass1
College Park, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 4, 2011
7:41 PM

Post #8540448

That is a very nice plant atisch. I have one now and looking forward to it growing like yours.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

May 6, 2011
2:13 PM

Post #8544199

We just went through our second coldest winter in history and the following have come back for me:
B. Boliviensis
B. Barbara Rogers
B. Grandis
B. Hericleifera
B. Richmondensis

I also had a B. Bellagio that lived outdoors for 3 winters but this last one did it in.
atisch
Alameda, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 6, 2011
6:58 PM

Post #8544757

ardesia,

Thank you very much for responding with your "Begonia Trials". Most helpful. B. boliviensis is one I hope to get.

Allan

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Begonias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Here's my begonia collection flowerjunkie 106 Feb 10, 2009 2:27 PM
Tuberous Begonias? Woofens 25 Feb 29, 2008 8:05 PM
BEGONIA sticky links begoniacrazii 37 Jun 8, 2007 6:11 PM
Talking about polka dots................. Kell 35 Feb 16, 2008 8:31 PM
Begonia Dead? Wvdaisy 13 Apr 12, 2007 3:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America