AuthorContent

OutlawHeart81

OutlawHeart81
Syracuse, NY
(Zone 5a)

April 30, 2011
2:12 PM

Post #8530660

so... i started my gladiolus early, indoors, cause i'm new to this whole thing, and they got ridiculously tall, ridiculouly fast, so i put them in the ground, and within one hour they flopped. i'm guessing it was due to being grown indoors with no natural wind resistance. i'm wondering since it's so early should i stake them? cut them back? or just leave em alone?
2zeus

(Zone 7b)

April 30, 2011
2:25 PM

Post #8530680

Anything grown indoors needs to be "hardened off" - which just means it needs to be introduced to the sun/wind gradually. Try putting them into a shaded area, and only give them an hour or so of sun the first couple of days, then a little more, until they can adjust.

OutlawHeart81

OutlawHeart81
Syracuse, NY
(Zone 5a)

April 30, 2011
2:55 PM

Post #8530725

oh... should i dig them back out?
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

April 30, 2011
7:30 PM

Post #8531278

You have a couple of problems By transplanting them they have no roots in the ground to hold them up and it's been windy here the last few days. The other problem is that the soil temperature is still low. I just checked and the soil is 54 degrees F. This is close to the minimum for glads so they will grow slowly. At this point I'd stand them back up and stake them so that they have a chance to recover. also make sure they are deep enough. I think they might stand a light frost but they aren't going to grow very fast until it warms up. Wet ground warms up slower than dry sandy ground. Elevation makes a difference also. There is going to be a few days difference in planting times between the Oxbow south of Canastota and the muck in and around Canastota.

OutlawHeart81

OutlawHeart81
Syracuse, NY
(Zone 5a)

April 30, 2011
9:22 PM

Post #8531458

lol! you know it well! i just had to ask my fiance where durhamville is, since i'm from syracuse and never even heard of where we are... i actually live in perryville where it's always 10 colder than canastota. so, 'hi neighbor!'
i'll dig em up, bury them deeper and stake them tomorrow! thanks.

OutlawHeart81

OutlawHeart81
Syracuse, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 4, 2011
1:42 PM

Post #8539677

wow, some have actually sprung right back up since i buried them a bit deeper. good thing i also started some bulbs in case they don't make it. i tried staggering the grow dates to have blooms for more times, but i suppose next year that won't matter, right? lol should i dig these up this fall, or will they survive up here on the mountain, with some mulch?
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 4, 2011
1:48 PM

Post #8539691

Glads are not hardy to our zone. You will need to dig them up in the fall, let them dry and pack them away for the winter. I have not had glads in awhile, but they need to wait to be planted out until after the last chance of frost.

OutlawHeart81

OutlawHeart81
Syracuse, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 4, 2011
6:49 PM

Post #8540350

boo... i really hope they make it. i'll try to dig them back up, but somehow i'm not sure it'll be worth it to me to do all that, since honestly, and i feel bad saying it... i'm not really even into glads. they kinda remind me of funerals...bought the bulbs really cheap and thought if they did well it would change my mind. lol maybe i'll put them in a nice planter next year and keep them that way. i thought the height and color mix would be pretty with my cl. don juan. but now i'm not sure. i mean, i love to garden, but that's a lot of work, digging and wintering bulbs. sorta more than i bargained for. i really want some nice perennials more suited for this zone i think.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 5, 2011
5:24 AM

Post #8540935

Everyone is different - personally, I have a number of plants that I dig up in the fall and overwinter. I always felt that lifting tubers, bulbs etc in the fall allowed me to extend my gardening season, but generally it is a mad dash for me in October/November because of that.

I do like having my dahlias because they extend my flowering season until the frost...

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Click the image for an enlarged view.

OutlawHeart81

OutlawHeart81
Syracuse, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 5, 2011
7:55 PM

Post #8542822

it's not that i don't want to do the gardening, i love being out and digging, i guess it's just new to me. i want some nice, no fuss perennials, then mother nature can just do her thang. lol too much room for error with me digging them out, and putting them back at the right times. can i over winter them in pots in a greenhouse? fully covered and dry? or should i keep them in doors?

BTW that is so beautiful! i planted some otto's thrill and... oh dear... something purple... famous man... thinking out loud...thomas edison! lol was i too early with those too? they were looking a little fuzzy so i figured they needed to get in the dirt. maybe i'll just buy some later in the season, but i feel like bulbs and roots are so much more economical... but i guess it's a waste of money if i kill them anyway. i LOVE dahlias and zinnias, i think i need to move to a warmer climate! lol
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 6, 2011
3:36 AM

Post #8543196

Outlaw - it would be great for you and for the rest of us if you'd start a thread on no fuss perennials. All do require some amount of work but some are a lot less than others.

Carolyn and I seem to have similar tastes with many plants so we accept the jobs that go along with clematis, heuchera, and dahlias though I'm calming down on the dahlias only because I had too many and it was too much work.

Dahlias and tomatoes like warm soil - 55 degrees. So when it's safe to plant tomatoes it's a good time to plant your dahlias. You can always grow plants from seed. Good luck with your gardening passion.

If it makes you feel any better about the glads...they remind me of funeral arrangements, too, and that's why I don't grow them.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 6, 2011
5:01 AM

Post #8543306

Outlaw -

that is why I say, everyone is different and everyone has a different level of how involved they want to be in the garden. Truthfully, there are Summers where I do more than other Summers in the garden. It does depend on my mood at the time and what is going on in my life.

I did glads years ago - I have seen some gorgeous flowers and yes, they remind me of funeral arrangements as well. My problem with glads is once they flower, that is it. At least with my dahlias, callas and crocosmia - I get flowers from the time they start until frost..

Arlene - I have noticed that are tastes in the garden are very similar..

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Click the image for an enlarged view.

OutlawHeart81

OutlawHeart81
Syracuse, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 6, 2011
7:37 PM

Post #8544827

carolyn i creeped around your blog! wow! you really have a lot of dahlias! very helpful to see how others are planting, and when, especially in my zone. i'll probably be a frequent lurker now so keep it updated! :)
pirl i will start one in beginner flowers. now what do you mean about hucheras? i thought those could stay in all winter? i even thought some where hardy to zone 4? please explain since i planned for having some, but i better get the facts FIRST this time! lol i'm through with just reading the back of the package, there's way better instructions here!
i haven't given up on my glads yet, last night we had a frost. hopefully our last, but we'll see. i'm actually suprised that they don't seem phased at all. keep your fingers crossed for my otto and thomas though... i'm not sure what will happen there since i didn't use a fungicide, but i did use lots of bone meal! :)
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 7, 2011
6:06 AM

Post #8545309

Sorry if I confused you, Outlaw. Heuchera are perennials and do live in the garden all year (except that the peach colored ones hate me and finally disappeared, thankfully). They do require splitting up on a regular basis but I enjoy sitting on the grass doing it.

Bone meal is very good - just don't breathe in the dust.

OutlawHeart81

OutlawHeart81
Syracuse, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 7, 2011
8:28 AM

Post #8545577

ok, good to know! i'm new to all this dividing stuff, but i'm sure i won't mind. once i have the hang of it. they are lovely.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 7, 2011
9:02 AM

Post #8545642

They're quick and easy to divide.
Lilyofthenight
Victoria, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 7, 2011
1:04 PM

Post #8546029

Mine were sowed directly outdoors. As they are beginning to bloom now they are very top heavy and falling over. I assume I did not plant deep enough, however they went in about 6 inches at sowing. Soooo, Yesterday I simply tied them together loosely 2 or 3 at a time near their base with good plastic coated wire... Seemed to work, they are still standing erect after a good watering last eve.

OutlawHeart81

OutlawHeart81
Syracuse, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 7, 2011
5:56 PM

Post #8546546

i think i'll try that. they're still a little floppy. :( but seem healthy. i was thinking maybe those rings for peonies would work well.

oh! and i started a new thread here in beginner flowers, about no fuss perennials. :)
AileenEdword
Boston, MA

May 9, 2011
2:50 AM

Post #8549077

I started my gladiolus last year in pot and they got ridiculously tall, ridiculouly fast, so I put them in the ground.This year also I can see good results the only thing I have planted it in such place where it get gentle sunlight. I love them.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America