Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Herbs: Rooting flowering rosemary branches

Communities > Forums > Herbs
bookmark
Forum: HerbsReplies: 4, Views: 104
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

April 30, 2011
7:17 PM

Post #8531242

I always cut branches from my neighbors rosemary bush when they are in bud so that they bloom indoors. I love this bush but nothing I try takes root. I was wondering if the shorter stems from the budding branches could possibly work for rooting? I figure I have them and shouldn't waste them.
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 30, 2011
8:34 PM

Post #8531403

Try rooting cuttings from the newest growth, not woody
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 3, 2011
6:34 PM

Post #8537975

The growth I'd try rooting is the new growth from fall which is, I think, semi-woody. Is that the term to use? The bush hasn't put out any new growth for this year yet. I've tried newest growth several times before but nothing ever lasted, even when it did root. I can keep trying until I get it, it's not like she's lacking in growth or anything lol

Thumbnail by tikipod
Click the image for an enlarged view.

gemfire55
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

April 16, 2013
8:53 PM

Post #9486710

I cut some off my mom's rosemary bush about a week ago (new growth) and put it in a bottle of water in my bathroom window. Its already getting roots on it. Just cut about 8 inches off the tips, pull off a few inches of the leaves so they won't be in water and be patient.

Pam

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 26, 2013
4:11 PM

Post #9498299

Or try layering- lay a branch on the dirt and place a rock on it. In 3 weeks snip the branch from the main stem, and in a week or 3 more, go dig it up and pot it.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Herbs Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
HERB COLD REMEDY jcf 25 Oct 3, 2009 3:18 AM
lemon verbena? laylarose 13 Jan 25, 2008 2:03 AM
Artemesia absinthium- common wormwood balvenie 14 Dec 31, 2007 6:44 PM
Rosemary Minihostalover 48 May 31, 2008 12:53 PM
Echinacea ... what to do with it anyone? IO1 46 Aug 8, 2009 7:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America