Tropical Garden # 100- YEA !!

Dallas, TX

Tropical Garden # 100- YEA !!

Thumbnail by texasbigleaves
Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

Okay, I give up! Don't know for sure what it is but do you have one to share?
LMK

Forgot to say, I'm in Cowtown til Monday!

This message was edited May 1, 2011 12:06 AM

Dallas, TX

Placenciarita, Happy 100th. YEA !

Everyone is welcome!

Please share your pictures of your tropical
plants and garddens.

Thumbnail by texasbigleaves
Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

Going to Arl RU tomorrow & have appts Mon am & have to head home in the PM but will be back in a few wks. Would love to come see these Tropicals!!! Awesome!!!
:~)

Dallas, TX

Smockette.
It's a Alocasia Variegated.
It's a picture from last summer.
It has'nt come back up yet.
Jerry

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the new thread..
Homer that sure ;looks like an el paio , very pretty patterns on yours there..

Thumbnail by joeswife
Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Here's one of my garden buddies eating lunch - they are so cute and helpful!

Thumbnail by KayJones

The Gladolias, perennials here, are starting to bloom:

Thumbnail by KayJones

I think these are pretty (Tecoma stans and yellow Lantana), although common here:

Thumbnail by KayJones

I have tried and tried to capture the Swallowtail caterpiller, but this is the best I can get:

Thumbnail by KayJones

The tomatoes are getting big:

Thumbnail by KayJones

Kay you have some beautiful critters. Love the lizards, wish we had them here..

my Glads are just now coming up, some times A few winter over with good mulch.
RIP, my Duke, bouquet came yesterday, how cute is this?

Thumbnail by joeswife

Deb, are you ok?! Call me if you get a chance - LOVE YOU!

Red Oak, TX

Good Morning everyone!
It is a very cold wet day today, the last couple of days were similar. I love that we are getting rain but hate having to turn the heaters on in the HH's.

teaxsbigleaves, it is very nice to see you!! And thanks for starting the new thread. Who knew that it would have lasted this long? I wish some of the folks that started with us would stop by and say Howdy.

Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

plantladylin, that is a cool unusual bloom on your Rick-Rack cactus plant.
Can you tell if this is a Rick-Rack as well?

Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

RachelLF, as far as I can remember, you have always sent me well rooted plants. I sure would love to get a cutting of your noid Monstera.

Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

mjsponies, congrats on your new buds, it is so exciting to get that very first bloom. Take good care of your red headed step-child. lol

These Bromeliads were bought from Mary Shelby's garden over 5 years ago as little bitty plants for less than $8.

Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

Joeswife, I my so sorry to hear about your Beloved Duke, that is a true friend that sent you the beautiul bouquet.

These were pictures I took several weeks ago.

Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

noid Bromeliad

Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

Kay Jones, I love the gladolia, that is my favorite color.
It is a pleasure to see what is blooming in your garden.

Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

Hoya

Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

last

Thumbnail by prita
(Zone 1)

texasbigleaves: Thanks for the new thread and that wonderful photo of the beautiful variegated Alocasia!

Kay: Love those Gladolus ... really beautiful color! I have the yellow lantana and tecoma stans too!

Rita: Your cactus pictured here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8534300 might be the same as mine but it looks a bit different from the Ric Rac I have. There are other cacti with the common name of "Ric Rac" and "Fishbone" but I'm not sure of the names. One I know of is Epiphyllum anguliger which I believe is also a night bloomer and has a fragrant white bloom. Some of the photo's in PF don't look right but this one shows the foliage well: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/74225/

Here are links to a couple of photo's for E. anguliger:

http://cactiguide.com/cactus/?genus=Epiphyllum&species=anguliger

More pic's of E. anguliger: http://anwyl.com/photopages/epicacti/epiphyllum_anguliger.htm

Is that "Cherries Jubilee" in your first photo? It is really beautiful!

Debra: That is a beautiful puppy bouquet. I've never seen one like it, very fitting for the loss of a pet. I must have missed where you posted about the passing of your beloved "Duke". I am so sorry for your loss ... I know it is very hard to lose any member of the family, even the four legged ones.

♥ RIP little Duke ♥

Thumbnail by plantladylin

Linda, I am crying AGAIN - it's so hard for me to deal with death these days.

(Kim) Philadelphi, PA(Zone 6a)

{{{Debra}}}}} sorry your sweet Duke has crossed over.

Thanks for the new thread TexasBigleaves and I'm looking forward to viewing more pictures from you again.

Rita, all those Bromeliads are lovely and I sure will send you a cutting.

Thumbnail by RachelLF

Debra, I'm with Kay on it being hard to deal with death. I am so sorry for your loss of Duke.

Thumbnail by RachelLF

Well, I had this long post to you all, but lost it in the send.. shortened a tad, now, THANK YOU to all of you. You all make my day with your rocking tropical photos, and I had even reported status updates of everyones sends to me, but too tired to re-type it all.
Like Rita, I miss the folks who used to come here too.. RJ, CANDELLA, Phughs, and all.. but I am so glad to see James. Holly, Kay, and Rachel and MJ and Homer and Kimarj and well all of you.
Today my first hummer sighting happened. I AM SO HAPPY. 34 low temp for one hour at 6 am. Predicted.. a few things might get cold, but it will warm up fast. I am a Mean Plant MOM .. if they get sad tonight, they will have to get glad in the same pot they got mad in. The Basement is empty and in preparation for deep cleaning and re-structuring for indoor gardening.
todays bloom: "Winky" columbine

This message was edited May 2, 2011 8:35 PM

Thumbnail by joeswife

T plant is blooming..It seems to like hanging out with the Tree Philo, BIG BOY as Joe calls it..

Thumbnail by joeswife

If you get some green stuff that creeps, from anything I sent any of you, it will be this plant, which started out as a few seeds in a packet called "creeping daisey" the blooms are about a half inch if that..it seems to pop up now anywhere I had pots around it..

Thumbnail by joeswife

Lonicera John Clayton is really filling up the south East fence corner..

Thumbnail by joeswife

Cardinal songbird columbine

Thumbnail by joeswife

Poor queen emma.. she will come back and I bet she blooms this year after getting cold in the early am..sorry Rita.. we gotta get her to tuffen up so to speak, right? ( poor thing is already sunburned and wind whipped, hailed on and prolly peed on too..) that clematis there isn't looking like it is gonna come back..

Thumbnail by joeswife
Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Rachel, that alocasia is just gorgeous! Looks like it is made of leather or something.

Debra, so sorry for your loss of Duke. Pets add such great dimension to our lives.

We planted a rose bush with gold roses to remember our dear old ginger cat.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Here's an interesting one - the caladium in the pic above is Carolyn Wharton out of a bag I got at Sam's Club.

Below, same bulbs from the same bag, but in the shade of the mango tree, no pink mottling!

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Pretty purple tibouchina is my lonely step-child. Found this bloom out in the jungle where the plant had pretty much died back to the ground. Got some water, and voila!

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Anybody got an IDea about this ginger? I dug it out from under the big oak tree, where it was making gangly stems about 8ft. tall, but not flowering.

Potted up some cuttings and it is about 4ft. tall, with these funny corkscrew-style stems. It makes closed flower heads, sort of like the pine cone ginger. When it blooms, one flower at a time pops out the side of the head. They are a pretty coral pink. It's a strange one, not really decorative, but interesting.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Flower bud on the noid ginger plant. The ants like them.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

I am glad you posted those spiral gingers, I have been growing them as well with no blooms, but most of mine were from seeds..

(Zone 9a)

Debra, so sorry to hear about Duke, I know he was your good gardening pal.

Dyzzy, your spiral ginger might be a Costus scaber. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/183592/

The H. johnsonii's are already finished for this year, they seemed to go more quickly than usual.

Thumbnail by ardesia

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images