Photo by Melody

Weather: May Weather. Will it ever be spring ?

Communities > Forums > Weather
bookmark
Forum: WeatherReplies: 181, Views: 1,029
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 1, 2011
5:35 AM

Post #8531756

New thread for May. Maybe it will change the weather.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 1, 2011
6:50 AM

Post #8531876

LOL Bernie!
Still raining!...

Thanks for the new Thread.

Ric
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 1, 2011
4:50 PM

Post #8533013

Finally quit raining mid afternoon here. Temps in the mid 50s. Dreary day.
PrissyJo
Roswell, NM
(Zone 6a)

May 1, 2011
5:04 PM

Post #8533041

We haven't had a drop of precipitation since last August. Now it's projected to snow tonight with a freeze warning. It was 95 degrees yesterday. This is way past our date to plant EVERYTHING out. Just crazy.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 1, 2011
5:52 PM

Post #8533168

Man and I thought WE were getting crazy weather!
PrissyJo
Roswell, NM
(Zone 6a)

May 1, 2011
8:16 PM

Post #8533481

:) yes. I've never lived in a place that's harder to garden than here. But I feel so sorry for the southern states that not only lost their gardens but their homes. The whole country has been so dramatic this year!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 2, 2011
3:25 AM

Post #8533778

40/58
Partly cloudy. High 58F. Winds NW at 10 to 15 mph.

Ric, ROTFL! How many inches did you get?

Bernie, ROTFL!! Positive sarchasm! Let's go into a new month and hope for the best :o)

Hi Prissy, crazy is right! How long have you lived there? Are you restricted on watering?

Thanks for the new thread Bernie!

The rain dried up before we got any more, which is good because I was able to get the last of the cold garden in. Last thing? 100 onion sets.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 2, 2011
5:10 AM

Post #8533884

All the wind must have helped. Some farmers were out yesterday afternoon getting fields ready & even some planting going on.

Sunny this morning. Predicted highs this week in 60's. I hope so.
No rain forecast.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 2, 2011
5:44 AM

Post #8533957

Bernie, the winds do suck all the moisture out. Sometimes that can be a good thing, but not when you only had a quarter inch or so.

We had huge tractors going back and forth yesterday. I'm glad they can get into the fields.
PrissyJo
Roswell, NM
(Zone 6a)

May 2, 2011
9:43 AM

Post #8534587

Hi billy~~ Thanks for the hi. It made me realize I didn't even introduce myself to this forum. I've been on daves for 5 or 6 years and stupidly never saw the "weather" forum... so I was so excited to find it, I just joined right in. My husband calls me a real farmer because he says all I do is complain about the weather.!! But we only have a city lot, well, two lots but I've got every inch of them planted. We've been in NM for 7 years now and in Roswell for coming up on four years. No, amazingly enough, there are no water restrictions! It floors me that we don't but the town is pretty small and so very few gardeners and even very few people that even water their lawns. There's a lot of desolation. When you don't water, you have dirt and dust blowing everywhere. Lucky for us, we live in the historic district with established yards and the neighbors all water and take beautiful care of their yards. Since I've been gardening here, now almost every close neighbor has started a back yard garden. I started in the front yard last year because I ran out of room out back! But I'm really really glad I found a place where people talk about the weather because it's so drastic here that I do whine a lot... hopefully not too much here!!! Anyway, I'm glad I found you all. Priscilla
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 2, 2011
5:39 PM

Post #8535511

STILL RAINING...
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 2, 2011
5:43 PM

Post #8535519

LOL. Poor Ric is getting rained out. LOL

Nice here today with sunshine and temps in the low 60s. Gonna warm up as week goes on.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 3, 2011
3:18 AM

Post #8536196

STILL RAINING!

1.34" of rain in the first two days of May... that not counting the rain since midnight...and it's pouring.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 3, 2011
4:35 AM

Post #8536290

32/54
Mainly sunny to start, then a few afternoon clouds. High 54F. Winds NNW at 10 to 15 mph.

Prissy, I'm glad you are here. We love everyone's weather stories and pictures :o)

I love how you got everyone gardening! Go ahead and whine. We all do. Right now it's too cold here and we want Spring!!

OH OH! I just saw a yellow Goldfinch! He's just in time to blend in with the dandelion blooms! I also saw a wren earlier. He just got here and is right on schedule. Next will be the oriole and I look forward to hearing his song.

Ric, this is becoming a nightmare for you!

We are to have sunshine most of the morning. I hope it warms us up. I weeded yesterday afternoon in my winter headband.

Just one more day turns into one more day :o(

But, since I'm a Pollyanna, at least we don't have gnats, flies or mosquitos yet! I also didn't need to use sunscreen since my ears and the back of my neck was covered. I did still need a bath, LOL!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 3, 2011
5:16 AM

Post #8536344

Sunrise with an actual sun!
High today of 60+

Farmers were in the fields yesterday. Should be full steam ahead now.
I stopped & bought some seed potatoes yesterday. They will go in the ground today.
Red Norlands & Yukon Golds.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 3, 2011
5:21 AM

Post #8536349

Bernie, we have a weak sun. I'm hoping the clouds get OUT of here!

You are going to be warmer than me!

Yum on the potatoes!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 3, 2011
5:40 PM

Post #8537848

We hit around 65 or so today. Still chilly in shade but nice in the sun. Gonna warm up more everyday. No rain in sight!!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 3, 2011
5:45 PM

Post #8537854

So far this year we've have 27" of rain.
Normal is 13"... we had that last month! LOL!

1.5" OF RAIN SINCE MIDNIGHT!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 3, 2011
5:47 PM

Post #8537858

Do you need a few buckets to bail water out? :~p
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 3, 2011
5:58 PM

Post #8537880

LOL!
A few hundred buckets!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 3, 2011
8:15 PM

Post #8538311

Nice weather is here at last!
PrissyJo
Roswell, NM
(Zone 6a)

May 4, 2011
3:46 AM

Post #8538686

Impossible to believe but no whining from me! Going to be 84 with only 15 mph winds and 24 % humidity, instead of 11. Of course we could use some rain, still none since August... Sorry but I'm jealous of you guys that get that water! Enjoy your day!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 4, 2011
4:17 AM

Post #8538716

30/63
Plenty of sunshine. High 63F. Winds S at 5 to 10 mph.

At least we all have different weather to report, LOL!

Yesterday was too icy cold to even go out. I spent the afternoon re-numbering my plant list on a spread sheet. Since I re-wrote it, the page numbers are off. I really use it alot.

We had a skim of ice in the outdoor cat dishes this morning, so I hope that was our last freeze. Yesterday it was 32* when I got up, but no ice.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 4, 2011
2:03 PM

Post #8539720

Well spitting rain... AND A FROST WARNING! ROTFL!
Can't catch a break!

But the 80's are due by week's end.
SUN TOMORROW!!!!!!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 4, 2011

Post #8540217

70s today with sunshine and mild breezes. Even boss man came out for a little while checking out plants this afternoon. He was pleased with how we have stuff set up too. No complaints at all which is a miracle. LOL.

Tomorrow back down to mid 60s then we shoot up to almost 90 by Sunday.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Click the image for an enlarged view.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

May 5, 2011
12:40 AM

Post #8540715

It's raining here too, temps have dropped down to 48F=9C..grrr! I had to turn on the furnace again...

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 5, 2011
3:36 AM

Post #8540788

50/61
Cloudy skies this morning followed by scattered showers and thunderstorms during the afternoon. High 61F. Winds SSW at 15 to 25 mph. Chance of rain 60%.

Ric, LOL! I had frost and a bit of ice in the water bowls yesterday, but it warmed up to cool aand was perfect for working out. I even shed my jacket while the sun was out.

Pepper, no miracle. You are just good at what you do and he better realize it!

Awesome picture!!

Adina, our furnace hasn't really been off, LOL! It gets a bit chilly in here by morning, so I've learned to hop out of bed when it's running!

Yesterday was a bit cool, but perfect for weeding. I got the rose bed all done! Now I need to weed out the Rover Campion and the South Peony Bed will be all done!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 5, 2011
9:03 AM

Post #8541410

Finally! Clear skies! Going to be in the 70s today.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 5, 2011
11:28 AM

Post #8541663

Celia, that looks beautiful! It's about time too!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 5, 2011
6:04 PM

Post #8542557

Rain most of the day but finally dry. The second round dissipated before it hit us. Was chilly all day too. About froze to death working outside in the rain today. lol. I need to find my rain pants that I bought for days like today.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 5, 2011
8:38 PM

Post #8542912

Great weather here. Partly sunny, 63 for a high today. It will be warmer into next week.
Thousands of acres of corn planted the last 4 days. At 16 or 24 rows at a time, it don't take long to plant a section.
I spread fertilizer on the garden today. Used up 500 lbs of 19-19-19 on about 3 acres. We are planting more intensely than ever this year, so it needs more fertility.
Peas are finally coming up.
I will plant a second planting on Monday.
Strawberry plants are now starting to get dark green.
Good for the onion plants was the cool, wet weather. They never wilted, just stood tall & I imagine put down some good roots.
Tomorrow we are taking the fireplace mantel to install it. I'll take pictures.
Bernie

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 5, 2011
10:03 PM

Post #8543024

Ooooo, looking forward to those, Bernie.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 6, 2011
4:29 AM

Post #8543252

Pepper, you better find those pants before you run out of rain!

Bernie, I'm glad the crops are getting in!

I just put onions in and they didn't get the rain I expected so I will be watering. I think I better be watering everything! If I water it will rain, right?

It's finally going to warm up!!! After weeding I found a lot more empty spots in the flower beds. Now I can move things around before it gets too late! I have Hollyhocks getting pretty big in the garden. Where on earth am I going to put them?
PrissyJo
Roswell, NM
(Zone 6a)

May 6, 2011
6:00 AM

Post #8543379

I really love reading about who's got what weather and who's doing what, when! Still no rain. It's 42 right now, 11% humidity, high today 98. I finally planted my tomatoes and peppers out yesterday because the wind was only 35 mph. Today it's actually supposed to be calmer. I wish I could have an underground tunnel from henry or pepper's house to funnel some of that rain!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 6, 2011
10:21 AM

Post #8543881

Prissy Jo, me too! I love that we all have different things blooming, or are waiting for blooms.

Laughing over the ''mild winds.'' Sheesh, we have had so much and it ony blows cold! You and me both on that underground tunnel!

We have a nice day and I'll be out there shortly. Coffee break is almost over :o)

Oooh ooh, 73*!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 6, 2011
3:46 PM

Post #8544371

Home from the job. Mantle went great. Tough to fit, but we got it.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 6, 2011
3:47 PM

Post #8544377

I also got a picture of the upper cabinets. Frosted glass in doors.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 6, 2011
5:23 PM

Post #8544530

Looks great Bernie!!

Great weather here today. Temps in the 70s, sunshine and some winds but not bad. Took grandma plant shopping and spent quite a bit between the 2 of us. It would have been nice if she had taken my hints and bought a japanese maple. lol. They had one for less than 40 bucks and it was a nice size too. I should have just grabbed it. I might do that on my next trip. LOL

A bush that was blooming last week. It's all done now though.

Thumbnail by pepper23

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 6, 2011
6:39 PM

Post #8544714

AMAZING Bernie! Best yet!

Well we didn't have frost yesterday but we flirted w/ a freeze.
As I turned on my wipers to get the heavy dew off it iced up!

Two days w/o rain! Guess this qualifies as a drought?

Ric

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 7, 2011
3:44 AM

Post #8545144

55/71
Chance of a shower or two during the morning, followed by partly cloudy skies this afternoon. High 71F. Winds ENE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

Bernie, both are just beautiful! Someone is very happy with what they have!

Pepper, I love it that you had a great day with Grandma! I wish I could be sure a Japanese Maple would survive our winters. They are all so beautiful!

That's a pretty bush!

Ric, we had our ice the other day. Yep, you're in a drought pattern, LOL!

We didn't get a single drop of rain, much less a T-storm. I was looking forward to waking in the night to thunder and lightning. I think I'll be in the "Ring of Fire" this year.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 7, 2011
9:51 AM

Post #8545712

BP, you're in the same zone as I am and Japanese maples do okay here. I have one in a pot getting more beautiful every year. Eight years now.
Cumulus79
Londerzeel
Belgium

May 7, 2011
12:15 PM

Post #8545936

It's still hot in tropical Belgium, but the sky is full with ice crystals ^^

This message was edited May 7, 2011 8:19 PM

Thumbnail by Cumulus79

Cumulus79
Londerzeel
Belgium

May 7, 2011
12:17 PM

Post #8545939

still the hottest place of Europe after all those weeks. It has been freezing here last week though with temperatures dropping to 18F :s

Thumbnail by Cumulus79

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 7, 2011
5:47 PM

Post #8546525

Hot and humid today but no one is complaining. lol. Reached 80s with lots of sunshine and very little wind.

My next door neighbors decided to be rude and ride their motorbike into our yard several times today. They only came just a few feet into the yard but that was more than enough. So I put a stop to it by going out there and planting a new butterfly bush and a couple cannas on the border. They immediately parked the bike. LOL!! Nothing like gardening to put a stop to unwanted intrusions!! I even put cardboard around my plants to make sure they didn't run over them tonight. Tomorrow I'm getting a bag of mulch to put around them.

Thumbnail by pepper23

PrissyJo
Roswell, NM
(Zone 6a)

May 8, 2011
3:08 AM

Post #8547117

9% humidity, no rain in sight. Sunny and hot, with a high near 99. They say it will be "breezy" which translates to 35 mph winds; 45 tomorrow.
Ric- so jealous of your "cute" little drought!
Cumulus - Beautiful picture! I've never heard of ice crystals in the sky. Our moisture is absorbed into the atmosphere before we ever get it!
pepper - Love those hostas!! Beautiful. Is that on the north side? I had to put up a 6 ft. wooden fence; a butterfly bush is much prettier!
Celia - Beautiful back yard and you surely do know your yuccas!
Bernie - can't wait to see a pic of your onions!
bp- any pictures of your peonies?
Even tho we've had such extreme weather, my chinese cabbage seems to love it!

Thumbnail by PrissyJo

PrissyJo
Roswell, NM
(Zone 6a)

May 8, 2011
3:14 AM

Post #8547123

adinamiti - what's happening in romania?

peas are producing well, too, in fact it's getting too hot now so they'll quit, but I actually put out my tomatoes, peppers, and corn and am going to have to put my shade cloth back up; when it's 98 in the shade, it's too hot for me to go out into the this bright sun.

My water bill is already up to $71!

Thumbnail by PrissyJo

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 8, 2011
4:25 AM

Post #8547200

50/74
A mix of clouds and sun during the morning will give way to cloudy skies this afternoon. High 74F. Winds E at 10 to 20 mph.

Happy Mother's Day!

Celia, I'm more zone 5A and haven't seen anyone with a Japanese Maple around here. I think I'll wait till my neighbor tries one :o) She likes everything I like.

Cumulus, beautiful sundog!! I've never had a rainbow before, just a ring.

Wow, that is too cold for me right now! When are you supposed to warm up?

Pepper, laughing! I hear you on no complaining! We almost got hot here yesterday :o)

I like how you defused the situation and am glad they were noticing. That's not exactly how my North Peony Bed came about, but no one mowed around the post on my side anymore :o) Now you have the reason for more plants or trees!

What a cute little fern at the base of your rose! Was it a suprise?

Prissy Jo, so much wind and so little humidity! It must feel like a furnace.

At least the fence is privacy. Just stick a butterfly bush on your side :o) They don't like a lot of water. My peonies aren't open yet, but the fern peonies are almost ready!

Nice chinese cabbage! No bugs there, LOL! Do you use it in salads or stirfries?

Delicious looking peas too :o) I tried a new one this year, "Caseload." We took down the old fence and put up a new fence this year, after ''Tall Telephone'' went above it and flopped over. I wasn't impressed with those peas anyway.
I hope you have good luck with the rest of the garden.

The boys helped me water my garden yesterday and my radish and spinach are just up, Yayyy!

On the way home we were finding shapes in the clouds. We saw mostly dogs. The youngest saw a cupcake and DH almost saw the ditch, LOL!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 8, 2011
5:35 PM

Post #8548353

The fern is an ostrich fern and I put it there on purpose. lol. I have Golden Showers rose in there too. The lattice is to provide a little privacy from our neighbors. It always seemed like they could see everything we did so we put that up and I put autmn clematis on it and now the rose. It's on the north and west edge of the house.

Well, my neighbors are done coming into the yard. She kept coming back today so my dad went over to wear she was coming in at and told her no more. She said sorry and went back home. Couple relatives came over and said something to my dad and he said same thing. Very polite but very firm. They parked the bike after that.

Weather is hot and humid. Every window in the house is open and it's gonna be hot all week.

Thumbnail by pepper23

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 8, 2011
7:59 PM

Post #8548836

Pepper, that's just rude of your neighbors. Glad you could put a stop to it. I would have planted something sharp and pokey.

Thanks, Prissy. I've had to deal with yuccas before and it's not fun. :-) When older, they're nearly impossible to remove.

Rain and rain here now. (Sorry, Prissy.) Rain through tomorrow, as well.

We've had B-17 flying overhead all weekend.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 9, 2011
12:14 PM

Post #8550159

Hi Everyone!!! Finally found my way back and have no idea where I went for so long! Great pics everyone!

The weather is weird everywhere, we got up to the 70's beginning of April, then got back down to the 50's in mid April after a bunch of storms and tons of rain, now we're in the 90's again, and in the upper 80's all week, but by this weekend we're going to be in the mid 70's. I don't get it!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 9, 2011
5:37 PM

Post #8550830

90s here with high humidity. Supposed to be a few degrees hotter tomorrow. It's not spring this week, it's summer. I want spring back!!!

Had a snake come out yesterday and scare me to death. It was right next to the stairs on the deck and at first I thought it was the hose til I realized the hose was to my right. lol. The snake was/is over 4 feet long. Not sure what kind he is since my dad couldn't find him in his book. Thinking bull snake. He's still on the loose and I hope I don't see him again! lol. Go eat rodents out of my sight. lol

Thumbnail by pepper23

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 10, 2011
8:49 AM

Post #8552098

Do you have a better pic of it's head? I'd post it on an ID forum here.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 10, 2011
5:24 PM

Post #8553296

This is the only other pic I got. Shortleaf thought it might be a kingsnake and it could be.

Hot and humid but not as bad as it was supposed to get. Strong winds today kept temps in the 80s.

Thumbnail by pepper23

cindylove
Lewisville, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 10, 2011
5:44 PM

Post #8553345

Hello folks!! Sorry it's been awhile.. the weather here has been horrendous in a lot of ways! I won't get into all the details... at the end of April we got the end part of that tornado that ripped through the midwest. Our home got minimal damage but my heart goes out to all that got worse!!
We are due for another storm tomorrow... Texas is all in drought some areas worse that others, so we need the rain, not the hail that we have been getting!
Temps have been record breaking also..we have been getting some days where it's in the 90's & of course the humidity is starting to come back. That's what I hate most!
Hope everyone is well & be safe!!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 10, 2011
10:07 PM

Post #8553875

Oh, Cindy! Glad you're okay! Houses and plants we can replace but not you.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 11, 2011
4:08 AM

Post #8554047

70/87 Partly cloudy with scattered thunderstorms, possibly severe. Very warm. High 87F. Winds SSW at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 60%.

Pepper, are these the same bike riding neighbors? I'd want privacy too!

Isn't that something. It isn't any fun unless you can ride in the neighbor's yard. I've never seen anything like it. Just as well they park it.

We had that hot weather yesterday and will again today. I was right out there tho, doing this and that :o)

Pretty allium!

Celia, I think she was lucky to have anything at all to plant, LOL!

I always wonder if those in the plane have a way of seeing me as I'm photographing them. Nice shot!

Chrissy, I still thought about you and just figured it was one of those "have to walk away from the computer" times. I'm glad you're back!

None of us get it, but we all got it too, LOL!

Ahhh Pepper, that's why we all feel the urgency and hate those cold days for wasting our Spring :o(

ROTFL over the hose!! I'd feel the same way!

Hi Cindylove, I wondered where you might be too :o)

I'll bet that was so scary! I hope the house can be quickly and easily fixed.

I hope your next storms just bring the rain. I hate drought!

I think I better get cucumbers and a row of green beans in. I guess we had our last frost, LOL!

How about a little ''Music?''

Thumbnail by billyporter

PrissyJo
Roswell, NM
(Zone 6a)

May 11, 2011
5:39 AM

Post #8554176

You should see Bernie's pictures of his place at : http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1175007/

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 11, 2011
5:47 AM

Post #8554192

We went from winter to July yesterday. 97 at 5 PM.
Large hail & a small tornado in Twin Cities area. Hot air in our area blew towards a cold front there. Bang, big storms!

The rows of plastic in the one picture, 2 were planted with cucumber seeds yesterday. Today we are going to try to put row covers on them. Never did this before, so might be an experience.

Bernie
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 11, 2011
11:41 AM

Post #8554958

Ha, not really that, just busy in the veggie garden and beds after work and on the weekends and can't do it all. It will be too hot to go out there in the afternoons before too much longer so getting all done that we can.

Here y'all!

[HYPERLINK@picasaweb.google.com]

If anyone knows what type plants I have please let me know LOL
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 11, 2011
5:35 PM

Post #8556422

Hot and humid still but this time we only reached 82 for a high. Storms all around us it seems but nothing here yet. I think tonight we have a chance.

Spent all afternoon getting my containers potted up. They look horrible now but will look great when everything fills in. lol. I crammed in stuff in some of them. Had more plants than room. Even had to put lantana with a dappled willow bush I have in one pot. I told the bush it could share. LOL

3 of the pots

Thumbnail by pepper23

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 11, 2011
10:08 PM

Post #8556895

We're only going to get warmer from here on out. 70 tomorrow.

I put my upside down tomato to better use this year than the disappointing use from last year. I will get pics tomorrow.

I'm hoping this is the 'Coral Nymph' Salvia I was told it was. Anyone know for sure? It's ready to be planted out.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 12, 2011
4:13 AM

Post #8557091

62/84 Variable clouds with showers and scattered thunderstorms. Warm. High 84F. Winds SSW at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 60%.

Prissy Jo, thanks! I hadn't seen Bernie's thread.

Bernie, our weather didn't change that much, but we had our share of heat.

I hope the row covers work for you. Are there holes in the plastic to vent excess moisture?

Chrissy, I love how you mix the garden with the flowers :o)

I see Calla Lily and strawberries instead of Lily of The Valley.

Those long leaves look so familiar in photo 17. Aster?

Loved the colorful blooms and how Dave packed so much into a narrow space.

Pepper, they don't look so bad :o) Filled in they will be beautiful!

Yes, sharing is good!

Celia, we're still going from hot to cool. At least it's not cold.

I can't tell, but I hope it is. I can't wait to see it bloom. I love Salvias!

It's another cloudy day with another chance of rain. It rained a little while I was in the garage repotting my little tomatos. I never did get the cucumbers and green beans in. I also have sweet peas soaking. I think they are very old seed, from my Aunt.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 12, 2011
5:11 AM

Post #8557169

Yes, small round holes on a 4" grid.

Nice day yesterday. Sort of hot in the sun in latter afternoon.
Cloudy with drips this morning. Warm.

Lots of cole crop plants set out. Cabbage, Kale, Broccoli & Cauliflower.

Might plant summer squash today. See what the weather does.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 12, 2011

Post #8557178

Bernie, that's a nice roll of plastic!

For all your cold weather and snow, you're right on schedule for crops.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 12, 2011
8:08 AM

Post #8557560

BP I do the flowers, Dave does the veggies. I got home last night and he hadn't watered my flowers and even the weeds were wilted!! It's bad when the weeds are wilted!!

Dave's growing iceburg lettuce and doesn't have a clue as to what he's doing, he keeps pulling the outter leaves off of the heads, I keep telling him to leave them alone but he won't! He thinks they need to be clean and I've never grown lettuce so I have no idea and have no ammo, is he doing it wrong? Should he be leaving the leaves alone?
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 12, 2011
5:49 PM

Post #8558869

Decent temps today, low 80s and mostly cloudy.

My containers have already started perking up since we got the storms last night. I was just out there and my coleus look like brand new plants!! LOL

Check this video out. My dad saw it on GMA this morning and had me look it up. It's very cute!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaatu42

Thumbnail by pepper23

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 12, 2011
10:11 PM

Post #8559395

ROTFLOL That's the funniest thing I've seen in a long time!
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 13, 2011
8:57 AM

Post #8560138

That's great!!!! Thanks for sharing it!!!

We're going to be sunny and 80* today, got none of the rain that came over last night at the house :(
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

May 13, 2011
1:09 PM

Post #8560648

Eeek, is it just me or is that dog not doing the talking?! But neat video either way, thanks Pepper. I might be making a "cheap camera Youtube video" of me driving my truck and doing the features and stuff to sell it on Craigslist, I want to show beforehand that it's roadworthy and stuff. Maybe that will take they're mind off the fact that it uses oil and it gets 12 mpg!

I can't believe how cold it's getting at nite and for the next few days! One forecaster here in Kansas City, MO. even forecasted 38 F for a low Tuesday! After next week, it better stay nice or I'm putting in a call!
Will
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 13, 2011
5:46 PM

Post #8561284

Chilly today. I didn't even bother working in the greenhouse. Not much to do anyways but if it's nice out I find something to do. lol. Misting off and on all day also.

Thumbnail by pepper23

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 14, 2011
6:41 AM

Post #8562087

52/53 Through 11am: Rain showers developing around 6am. Rain showers early will evolve into a more steady rain for the afternoon. Winds NNW at 15 to 25 mph. Chance of rain 70%. Rainfall near a quarter of an inch.

Aww Chrissy, I hope they came out of their wilt. Not the weeds tho. Nice way to kill them :o)

If he's pulling them off while they're still growing, how is he going to harvest them? I'd Google ''caring for iceberg lettuce'' :o)

Pepper, that dog video is making the rounds. I just adore it!

Will, link us to your video when you're done. Are you going to film it from your car with someone else driving the truck, or just from the truck?

Pepper, I would find some busy work to do too. Actually I'd still be ''shopping'' for what I didn't have yet. Too much temptation! :o)

Wow, are they blooming now? Mine are throwing up buds so it won't be long for me!! Are they an old variety?
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 14, 2011
7:08 AM

Post #8562129

Hey guess what... it's Raining!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 14, 2011
9:32 AM

Post #8562339

Gosh! Imagine that!!! LOL

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 14, 2011
12:05 PM

Post #8562528

Raining here to!
Very cold & NW wind at market this morning. Crowd wasn't to bad though.
Forecast for this week, clear, sunny & 70's. We'll see.
PrissyJo
Roswell, NM
(Zone 6a)

May 14, 2011
1:51 PM

Post #8562667

9 month drought without a drop so far. They say we might get some in July. Now we've only got fires and winds. I can't keep my plants wet enough no matter how much I pour on them. Lost all my peppers and tomatoes. Very discouraging
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

May 14, 2011
6:49 PM

Post #8563195

It is quite gloomy here. The heater is on and I brought some plants back in from the outside, miserable weather, maybe it won't last much longer.
I was thinking about me doing the camera video and driving to Walmart or something to show it drives and everything on the road. Sure, I'll post the link to my ad if anyone wants to see it. Now, I'm thinking about suing the hitch company that installed my hitch receiver. I saw later that day, (yesterday), that the plug and wires were put in the trunk. I told them on the phone today, "I don't want it in the trunk, can you fix it or give me a refund?". He said they "won't give my money back and they won't fix it." I said, "do you go to small claims court?". It only costs 30 some dollars to sue in small claims court. I've only sued one other time when this place wouldn't give my security deposit back. Actually, I missed the court date unintentionally then, (it's dismissed when you don't show up). I was walking to my truck to leave for court and I had to use the bathroom, I wasn't going to make it. I asked them later if that was a reason to reschedule it, they said no..lol
I might also sit outside they're hitch business with a non-slanderous sign to tell my story. I saw an elderly man do that in a wheelchair on the highway's sidewalk, around March. He had his veteran hat on and he was just letting them have it with a sign, in front of they're used car dealership place, I don't think they liked that!

This message was edited May 14, 2011 7:57 PM
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 14, 2011
7:53 PM

Post #8563290

Definitely gloomy here!! Cold and miserable!! Supposed to start warming up slowly though.

I put almost all the plants we had out at work back inside the greenhouse today just in case we get frost. The hardy ones I left outside.

Bp, the irsies in that pic are old fashioned ones that smell like grapes almost. I have some other old fashioned ones and a bunch of hybids. The hybrids were all from Powell Gardens, my grandma or a co-op. I have them everywhere!! LOL. Getting a couple more I think next Sunday. A friend and I are going to Commanche Iris Farms outside St. Joseph, MO.

I need to get more pics of my irises. Blooming like crazy but I don't have any good pics.

Thumbnail by pepper23

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 15, 2011

Post #8563661

50/59 Overcast with rain showers at times. High around 60F. Winds NNE at 15 to 25 mph. Chance of rain 50%.

Ric, rain, you lucky dog! LOL!

Bernie, we're right under you in the rain cycle. It was wet and cold here too.

Prissy Jo, no rain is the saddest story of all. I couldn't take it. How long have you lived there. Forgive my memory if you've told us already :o)

Will, heater on here too. I'll watch the video if you make it :o)

It's hard to get good service sometimes. You might have to tuck those wires back yourself.

Pepper, do not say frost!!

I didn't realize so many different iris have a grape smell, cool! Yes, we need iris pictures! Mine have buds and a few bloomed already! I'm so excited!

I love lantana! I haven't found any of that, or penta, for the Butterfly Bed yet.

A cold gloomy Sunday. Just what I need to finish my "me" day projects. Dad came up for an hour or so yesterday, but I did finish one thing after he left :o)

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 15, 2011
5:35 AM

Post #8563739

Sun peeking out this morn.
Sunny all week. Enough of that miserable low pressure system.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 15, 2011
6:20 AM

Post #8563830

Bernie, I hope you get nicer weather, especially since you're doing Market.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

May 15, 2011
12:03 PM

Post #8564494

At least TWC took the 38 F low Tues. nite out of they're forecast! 44 F low instead is a little better. I'm not a fan of leaving my plants in the garage for several days because of the weather! But, I'd rather them be alive!
You'll watch my Craigslist video eh Sally?! Maybe you need a truck! : ) I'd be glad to tuck the wires in there, but I bet it entails more than that I'm afraid. I don't know how to do it, maybe they drill a big honking hole in the trunk, which is okay with me. For $291 you'd think they'd do installations more standard, rather than they're own way of installing, (without the customer's knowledge).
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 15, 2011
4:39 PM

Post #8565190

Yeah, everyone is saying 40s now.

Penta is the one plant I haven't seen anywhere this year. I don't know if the wholesalers decided not to grow them this year or not. I have lantana at work and I'm glad we do. We don't have snapdragons either this year.

I did find penta seeds here: http://www.burpee.com/flowers/pentas/ and here: http://summerhillseeds.com/advanced_search_result.html?keyword=penta&search_in_description=1

Lantana seeds here: http://summerhillseeds.com/advanced_search_result.html?keyword=lantana&zenid=769a4223817cab5df503ce23209bb446&search_in_description=1

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 16, 2011
3:55 AM

Post #8566055

40/63 Sunny. Winds NNE at 10 to 20 mph.

Will, I woke up to the 37 :o)

Yep, but you'll have to link me. I don't ever go to those places online. Smiling, we have a truck!

Maybe that's the way they install things everywhere now.

Pepper, I've never grown the other two, but I have done snapdragons. They're pretty touchy, but I have had some survive. I'll have to read up on the other two. If I could grow my own, great!

It was chilly and windy yesterday, but I mowed. Best weather for that!
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

May 16, 2011
6:35 AM

Post #8566344

I have done both pentas and lantana and love both. I found that the rabbits loved my pentas so I had to have screens around them and that didn't look pretty. They should do well in pots that rabbits can't reach however.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 16, 2011

Post #8567904

Cool this morning but warmed up to mid 60s this afternoon. Got some weeding done while it was nice out!!

Thumbnail by pepper23

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 16, 2011
7:53 PM

Post #8568200

Looking GREAT, Pepper! Here is my newest...

Thumbnail by kwanjin

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 17, 2011
4:14 AM

Post #8568654

38/66 Plentiful sunshine. High 66F. Winds NE at 5 to 10 mph.

Elena, danged old rabbits! You need an outdoor cat.

Pepper, I never met a petunia I didn't like and I like everyone I see :o) Someday I am going to have a petunia bed. All colors!! I love your pot!

Celia, beautiful!!

Sunny and the wind is still from the north, but dying down. It's going to be a good day!

Tomatoes!

Thumbnail by billyporter

Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

May 17, 2011
8:07 AM

Post #8569058

I used to have dogs but we are dogless now. After having a dog all my life I feel kind of funny without one, but we have decided that our indoor cat is enough for us old-agers to take care of.

Thumbnail by Elena

Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

May 17, 2011
8:08 AM

Post #8569060

He loves to watch TV and even interacts with it.

Thumbnail by Elena

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 17, 2011
10:41 AM

Post #8569350

awwwwww...how cute is he? LOL
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 17, 2011
4:57 PM

Post #8570048

LOL! Love TV Cats!

Well guess what? It's still raining! And a very Cool 50.
'Supposed' to move out by tomorrow afternoon.
Then 'supposed' to be fair and warmer... yeah right! LOL!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 17, 2011
5:25 PM

Post #8570128

Sunny with temps in the high 60s. Didn't work outside at all today. The stuff for my dept came in today and I ended up with over 400 peices when I normally only have around 150 or less. What happened is that a coworker ordered for me 2 weeks ago and was told it would come in last week. It didn't so I ordered for this week and got both trucks. ALOT of stuff!! LOL

Celia, is that Bacopa there in the corner? I have that at work and am thinking of getting one when we start marking prices down.

Elena, love your cat!! I have 2 cats of my own but they are mostly spoiled rotten outside cats. lol

I think I need to stick another coleus in this pot. That bare spot is driving me nuts. I happen to have an extra one anyways. lol

Thumbnail by pepper23

Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

May 17, 2011
7:23 PM

Post #8570540

I am glad you all like my cat. His name is Baibee Blue and he is a short haired exotic breed of cat. He is my second exotic as my last one was a long haired exotic. They have the best dispositions of any cats I have ever had and I have never been catless in my entire almost 75 years. Baibee Blue especially loves animal shows.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 17, 2011
8:14 PM

Post #8570678

Pepper, that is, indeed, Bacopa. I've used it before and just love it.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 18, 2011
4:52 AM

Post #8571010

43/70 Sunshine and a few afternoon clouds. Winds NNE at 5 to 10 mph.

Elena, laughing! I wish my cats watched TV! He's a doll!

Ric, don't you hate the word "supposed!"

I think the whole world is cold!

Oh Pepper, that's a ton of work!

Yep, that looks good together! I hate bare spots too :o)

Elena, I was going to ask if Baibee Blue was a Himilayan.

We are finally getting a bit warmer each day, but still have that dang N-NE wind.
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

May 18, 2011
5:42 AM

Post #8571086

Nope, an Exotic. Here is my last precious kitty, Sugar Baibee, and he was a long haired exotic. When the kittens are born, they will have either short hair or long hair. I think that is fascinating.

Baibee Blue, the short haired exotic, sits at the foot of the bed and watches TV with me at night until it puts him to sleep.

Thumbnail by Elena

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 18, 2011
6:13 AM

Post #8571133

Elena, he's just gorgeous and so huggable!! Cat's are just fascinating.
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

May 18, 2011
6:37 AM

Post #8571166

Would you ever know they are the same breed? He was huggable as all get out. I loved him dearly and it broke my heart to lose him but the short haired one has filled the empty vacuum... and I still have my precious memories.

Gotta hit it here today. This is "dig iris" day. You won't find that on your calendar but that is where you will find me this morning.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 18, 2011
6:47 AM

Post #8571184

Elena, (((hugs))) for the lost one. There is always another cat to love, but we never forget those we had, even long long ago.

Me and my kitties long long ago :o) I was 11.

Thumbnail by billyporter

Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

May 18, 2011
10:23 AM

Post #8571652

And here I am with my kitty... I have never been without one my whole life and I still remember most of them. That one in the picture I loved on too much and my mother had to teach me not to drag cats around all over the place. I have since taught my children and grandchildren that same lesson. We all love cats and so did my sisters and grandmother who are in that picture. Mother loved them too. My younger sister was diagnosed with stage four cancer 4 years ago and her cancer has returned after being in remission. Please pray for her. Her name is Gail. She is is in the picture below.) She needs all the prayers she can get. She is a patient at M.D. Anderson in Houston.

Love your picture with the two kitties. That is so sweet. Since I read all about you in the Cubits article, I feel like I know you already and I have never ever met you. That was a really great article and is one of my favorites. My other two favorites are the ones about my dear friends MaryE and CajuninKY.

The weather is still cold. I had to wear my coat outside to work this morning and it is still 54 degrees out there now. I think is is supposed to rain again this afternoon. The weeds are taking the place and the shrimp will probably eat everything up soon if it keeps raining (Not really!) ...Help!

Oops! I hit send before I entered the picture. It will be in the next post.

This message was edited May 18, 2011 11:34 AM
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

May 18, 2011
10:25 AM

Post #8571655

Here 'tis!

Thumbnail by Elena

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 18, 2011
11:22 AM

Post #8571742

Wow Elena, back when life was simple. He's absolutely adorable, and look at that gorgeous fur!!! They look like Persians. Tiga, Maine Coon Cat, used to attack the TV, it was the funniest thing, glad they didn't have the flat screens then like they do now, her claws would have went right through it!

When is a good time to separate Iris?

It's been mid 70's here and no rain! Supposed to rain Friday with a possibility of severe storms BLAH!!!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 18, 2011
6:25 PM

Post #8572682

Mostly cloudy all day with some sprinkles and occasionally sunshine. Spend all day outside gardening.
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

May 18, 2011
9:30 PM

Post #8573023

I really don't know what the best time is to separate the iris. They are tough plants so I guess almost any time is ok. They might not bloom if you disturb them before hand although if they are in nice large clumps that doesn't seem to deter them. I chose to do it after they bloomed so I would have some idea what was what. I gave up long ago on labels but wanted some idea what colors were in those beds. They are all going to a prepared place so it is now just a matter of getting them replanted. I want to have day lilies where the iris were. I think they will work better in the beds that the iris occupied. So...once the iris get put to bed, the day lilies get dug. It is still chilly but I guess that is better than working in the heat so in the morning we will hit the yard again. It is supposed to rain tonight so hope the ground won't be too wet. What do the weather folks know anyway? It might not even rain. Hope not!!!

Crissy, I always wanted a Maine Coon. They are awesome cats. I never have seen a cat attack the screen however. Yep, that would have been rough on the newer flat screens.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 19, 2011
11:02 AM

Post #8573940

They've already bloomed and I've cut the blooms off, now the problem is I don't know where the two white ones are that are separate in the middle of the yellow ones! I just realized that sitting here at work looking at my bloom pics. OOPS!! It's hot here today, like 85 and sunny.

LOL She was a hoot, and smart! She did that until she was probably 2 or 3 years old. Hilarious!
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

May 19, 2011
11:29 AM

Post #8574000

It is 75 here now but it is supposed to get HOT this weekend. I like it just like it is now because too hot and too cold don't work well for me. I am like Goldilocks and the Three Bears I guess. This is just right.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 19, 2011
11:57 AM

Post #8574038

We need to move to Hawaii!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 19, 2011
5:14 PM

Post #8574569

We move Iris at any time.
Move two last week, to a friend, while they were in bud.
They bloomed fine.
Hard to do any thing wrong w/ them besides planting them too deep.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 19, 2011
5:28 PM

Post #8574584

Rainy all day and chilly til afternoon then it was humid.

Thumbnail by pepper23

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 20, 2011
6:50 PM

Post #8576651

Pep it was SUNNY AND WARM here today!
AMAZING!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 20, 2011
6:57 PM

Post #8576665

LOL!! Rained again today but the sun came out late afternoon. Warm and humid all day.

My dad had to put down new drainage pipe a few days ago. We have one that is original and it doesn't go far enough down. It actually stops before the car so the driveway was always wet there. So he redid it for the driveway area and ended it about 3 feet from the driveway down there.

Thumbnail by pepper23

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 22, 2011
4:11 AM

Post #8578878

61/82 Windy with scattered thunderstorms, especially during the afternoon hours. A few storms may be severe. Winds S at 20 to 30 mph. Chance of rain 60%.

The breeze turned into a wind at midnight and by 12:30 am we got rain. 4/10''

Elena, how did ''dig iris day'' go? Mine are just starting to bloom and I know I'll be running now to keep up with everything.

I am so sorry to hear that about your sister. Prayers were sent for everyone with problems, this early morning.

You truely do love cats. The picture says it all. I love how everyone in your family naturally loves cats :o)

Thank you! I need to take time and read every single Spotlight. I don't always have time to finish threads, much less start new ones, but I'll have to try.

Chrissy, I've learned to lean garden stakes and push them between colors, LOL! I need to divide the Lilliput iris because they are growing into each other and one clump still has three colors all mixed together!

Pepper, love the iris!

Ric, you're finally getting a break in the weather!

Pepper, a job worth doing! I hope it solves the wet end of the driveway.

I am so glad I mowed after we took the boys home yesterday! It looks nice and since it rained, it's wet!

Ric, I think I snapped at least 20 pictures yesterday trying to get a butterfly. It looked like a Monarch, but I thought it was too early for them. It wasn't an Angelwing as the outer wings had color. I need to download to see if I got anything besides air and funny yard photos, LOL!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 22, 2011
6:30 AM

Post #8579100

Rain early yesterday, then big thunderstorm around 11PM. We have enough water for a while. Things are really looking nice. Dwarf Iris in full bloom. TB Iris are budding heavily.
Lilacs in bloom as well as fruit trees.
It is spring!
Most fields are planted here. In central Minnesota, not so much. Much wetter there.

Farmers Market yesterday, sold all our radishes & onions, rhubarb & some eggs. Would like to move more eggs. Another trip to the food shelf, I guess. We gave them 90 dozen a couple weeks ago.

Bought a pint of pure homemade maple syrup at the market. Will try some on french toast this morning.

Bernie
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

May 22, 2011
6:49 AM

Post #8579145

Dig iris day went fine and I have good locations for them all this time. Hopefully they won't get overrun with Bermuda grass where they are now. They were about choked out where they were. I think it is going to get hot today. It is about time but I don't look forward to it one bit. I can't function outside when it is hot enough to cook an egg on the sidewalk. Yep, my whole family is comprised of cat lovers. We are real suckers for them. Thank you all who are praying for my sister Gail. I do so appreciate it since I am worried sick over her this time. She is trying to turn it over to the Lord and I need to do that too.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 22, 2011
1:42 PM

Post #8579897

Hot, humid and tornadoes north and now east of me. It started literally just north of me on the other side of the highway. There are 2 wall clouds less than 2 miles apart.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 22, 2011
4:07 PM

Post #8580201

Large destructive tornado in Minneapolis at 2:15 this afternoon. mile wide, 3 miles long. Most trees down, lots of houses damaged, many severe to gone. 1 man died when a branch went through his mini van window & struck his head.

Another quicky thunderstorm just passed over us. Lasted all of 5 minutes.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 22, 2011
4:29 PM

Post #8580234

Under a tornado watch til 9pm. the front line has moved further east so I'm in the clear for redevelopment. There have been several touch downs, mostly small tornadoes, and one town has some damage. All in all it could and could still be much worse.

Went to Commanche Iris Acres today. Didn't order any irises but did get 3 Dr. Norlan Henderson irises. I happen to know him so I had to make sure I got it. I want Kansas City iris but that will have to wait. lol
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 22, 2011
7:22 PM

Post #8580639

Joplin, Missouri got hit by a tornado. 24 people dead. Rusty56 lives there. I'm gonna see if I can try and get ahold of her and check on her just in case she doesn't get on for a few days.

Sashagirl

Sashagirl
Davenport, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 22, 2011
7:38 PM

Post #8580683

We just got the all clear sign, that the tornadoes are out of our town and have passed across the Mississippi. We've had sirens going for the last couple hours and several funnel clouds spotted , but none of them touched down, thank God.

We had torrential rains, lightening,wind and hail. It was frightening!

pepper,
I hadn't heard about Joplin. How awful. SW MO seems to really be prone to rough storms.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 22, 2011
7:46 PM

Post #8580700

I forgot that your area got hit too!! So glad you are ok!!

Yes, SW MO and the area around me is prone to bad storms.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2011
9:40 PM

Post #8580881

Pepper, please let us know if you get ahold of Rusty.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 23, 2011
4:27 AM

Post #8581158

65/82 A mix of clouds and sun with a slight chance of thunderstorms this afternoon. Warm. Winds W at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

Bernie, my dwarf iris, fruit trees and lilacs are done. The TB just started blooming as is the columbines and a few other perennials. It IS Spring!

Farmer's Market is going well for you! How many chickens do you have?

Elena, I'm sorry you are so worried. It isn't easy to ''just pray'' when you love someone. I hope things go well for her and will continue to keep her in my prayers. Prayer sent.

I'm looking at a few of my iris getting too big for their britches. It seems I just got them blooming after the last dig. Now I'll have to wait for a bloom if I divide :o)

Wow Pepper! That was close!

Oh Bernie, not a good way to die :o(

Our storm started at 5:01 and the power went out 15 minutes later.

Pepper, cool! I remember the article you posted on the Dr.

Oh my gosh! I hope Rusty is OK!

Sasha, I think we had your storm clouds pass over us. They mean just what you got! I'm glad you are OK!

Pepper, I think I'm lucky to live where I do. Most everything really bad passes over us and intensifies.

Tornado watches and warnings mostly to the North and East of us last night, but we got the second round of pounding rain up from the South. It was pretty dark and rain blew down the road and across roofs. We had a few sticks down and picked them up after the storm. The power went out for a couple of hours. Almost immediatly every one in town was out riding around. I just lay down at 7:00 pm and fell asleep for a while :o)

We got a half inch of rain on top of the 4/10'' so we're watered for a while.

Sasha, these clouds brought your bad weather.

Thumbnail by billyporter

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 23, 2011
4:28 AM

Post #8581160

A picture for Bernie. The field at the end of town.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 23, 2011
4:30 AM

Post #8581161

And here it is.

Thumbnail by billyporter

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

May 23, 2011
9:53 AM

Post #8581928

Here's the news about in Joplin, MO:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picturegalleries/worldnews/8530556/Storms-in-US-Midwest-massive-tornado-damage-in-Joplin-Missouri-and-Minneapolis.html

I just about a mile from the tornado!

I am okay and so as my dogs was so spooky to them!...Also no power for 12 hrs...

My next-door has barn shed blew into my home and yard... It was okay no damage... Just a little messy...

This message was edited May 23, 2011 11:54 AM

Thumbnail by JuJu55

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 23, 2011
10:27 AM

Post #8582001

Rusty, I can't even imagine how terrible it was to know you were so close to it. I am so happy that you are OK!!!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 23, 2011
10:29 AM

Post #8582009

VERY happy!!!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2011
6:13 PM

Post #8582959

Yes, very glad to hear from you!!!

It was hot and humid today but the humidity finally broke some after 5pm tonight. But tomorrow is gonna be even worse and we will probably be under a moderate risk for severe storms and it may even be elevates to high risk. Gonna be an interesting day tomorrow. Will have to keep an eye on the skies.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 23, 2011
6:16 PM

Post #8582965

(((RUSTY)))

First off to any of you w/ Family or Friends in Joplin my heart goes out to you.
Having seen the shots and video it looks like Xenia... and that's not good.
Glad to hear that Rusty has posted!!!!

We had a rough storm rumble thru about 7PM tonight.
Well our power went out for about an hour but everything is fine here.
83,000 homes are still w/o power in the area.
NO severe damage! So all is good!

Looks like a close call but it was worse north of us and south of Joyce.
Talked w/ her during the storm and she is fine.
PrissyJo
Roswell, NM
(Zone 6a)

May 24, 2011
3:41 AM

Post #8583684

I'm so sorry for everyone who suffered through the storms. It's hard to believe I live in the same country. 98 today with 45 mph winds 13 % humidity. 10 months of drought. So very hard to help plants grow with not a drop of water but our city water is still producing. River's completely dried up. Water table dropped at least 100 feet. Trees are dying and blowing over and sinkholes are coming up.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

May 24, 2011
3:57 AM

Post #8583701

I has no power last night for 50 minutes back on...
More tornado tonight and tomorrow...

flooding my yard!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 24, 2011
3:59 AM

Post #8583704

62/79 A mix of clouds and sun this morning followed by mostly cloudy skies and a few showers this afternoon. Winds E at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

Pepper, I hope your storm fizzles out. Be safe!!

Ric, I've never had scenes touch me so much. It was all the cars on the streets, and the buildings just collapsed. It was very shocking. The tornado was a s wide as my town. That puts it in perspective.

Prissy Jo, boy, your water table really drops! You ARE lucky to still be drawing. We are down about 22'-24' for water, and even the little creeks hardly dry up. Do you have houseplants? Do you try to garden?

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 24, 2011
4:01 AM

Post #8583708

Rusty, we crossed. I hope your tomato plants don't drown and I sure hope the weather fizzzles out. Prayers sent to keep you safe and youe dogs calm. Hang in there :o)
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

May 24, 2011
10:11 AM

Post #8584395

Major storm early this morning. Electricity was out for a long time but back on now. We have lots of yard cleanup to do but nothing like from the two others earlier this year that ruined our area and our trees. I think I posted pictures here but am not sure. Those two storms were rough and lots of folks still haven't gotten cleaned up or their roofs done, etc. It is not a pretty sight around here because there was so much damage. We still have half of our wooden fence to rebuild and two huge tree roots that stick way up in the air and have big holes beside them. Hubby is trying to gradually whittle away at them and gradually burn them out too but that will probably take many more months to complete. I have convinced him to wait till fall to rebuild the fence. All of the wooden posts that were sunk in concrete haven't been removed from the ground yet and he will have to replace those in the fall too.

Oh, how thankful we were that we didn't have another of our huge trees on the ground this morning.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 24, 2011
5:08 PM

Post #8585093

Everyone in Oklahoma be safe!!

They are being bomboarded by tornadoes right now. Heading to joplin and part of the upper part will hit us later tonight.

For those who want to help tornado victims, they need work gloves, heavy duty trash bags, water and other stuff to help with clean up. People in Oklahoma will need everything right now.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 25, 2011
4:20 AM

Post #8585886

53/73 Thunderstorms likely. A few storms may be severe. Winds E at 15 to 25 mph. Rainfall may reach one inch.

Elena, we came home last night to find our power had been off for an hour and a half. It was off three hours the day before.

I'm glad your clean-up isn't drastic. After we had straight line winds, I never saw so much foam insulation nailed to houses. People took advantage of the insurance money to fix their houses instead of spending it on other things.

When they burned huge piles of trees that were freshly knocked over, I was told they used diesel fuel. Whatever it was, the green trees burned right down. In a day or two they were just a smoldering ash pile.

Pepper, I can't even imagine all the things they need, but it's a start.

It's raining :o) I saw lightning as soon as I sat up in bed at 4:00 am. By 4:15 we had a heavy rain and it' tapering off into a steady rain. I see a couple small puddles in the garden, but it's all soaking in. That's good.

We got the boys to the oldest's first ballgame last night, (6 and 7 year olds,) and they got to play just a little before the sirens went off. We grabbed them and the chairs and headed for their house. It was just a T-storm warning and not a tornado, but was a great chance to show the boys a different sky.

DD and my little ''pineapples'' :o)

Thumbnail by billyporter

Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

May 25, 2011
8:45 AM

Post #8586340

Looks like the pineapples are almost ripe on the vine or rather plant. Pineapples don't have vines do they? Duh! LOL She has my prayers for a safe delivery for both mama and babies. How exciting!!!!!

Cumulus79
Londerzeel
Belgium

May 25, 2011
11:48 AM

Post #8586686

No tornadoes here in Belgium, but the drought is getting quite insane here. It's allready the dryest spring since the beginning of the recordings in 1883 and we've got another huge forest fire here today :(
Ofcourse no rain in the predictions for weeks to come unless that lucky isolated shower will hit us tomorrow...

Thumbnail by Cumulus79

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2011
12:39 PM

Post #8586757

Yikes! That's awfully close to you! Is that near your home/work or do you work for the fire dept?
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 25, 2011
1:23 PM

Post #8586835

Well, it has been a very, very active day here today. From around 10am to 2:30pm or so there were active funnel clouds and/or tornadoes all around here. They started in Kansas and moved northeast. All of Kansas City and surrounding counties were under tornado warnings at one time. There is a low pressure system stationed in Kansas City that was causing all of this to happen.

There are no deaths but in Sedalia, MO there are about 16 minor injuries due to what could have been an EF1 tornado that touched the ground. There is no damage around me. I spent an hour in the basement under the stairs listening to local deejays relay weather reports. There were funnel clouds spotted southwest and southeast of me at one point then again northeast of me. My coworkers spent an hour in one of the coolers at work.

My family is all ok also. We were all scatted around due to work but everyone reported in with no damage to their buildings or anything. There might be hail damage but that's not known at this point.

The storms are now well north of me and are no longer rotating or severe. So that is great news for everyone north of me.

Current temps are in the 60s and it is raining again. It was sunny but the storm is wrapping around so we are getting more rain but no rotation. Will be under a tornado watch til 6pm.
Cumulus79
Londerzeel
Belgium

May 26, 2011
3:15 AM

Post #8587812

kwanjin: it's only a picture from the Belgian press, didn't made this myself but didn't knew how to link it otherwise. It's in the northern part of Belgium, about 25 miles from here, but the smoke was reaching far into the Netherlands and was even visible on satellite.
So far there's no direct threat for homes and people but there's alot of wind expected so they'll have a hard time to keep the fires under control.
It's quite frustrating since we used to have a great climate here for gardening and nature with mild winters, rainy and cool summers. Now that I finally got a chance to enjoy gardening and the nature we suddenly have cold and snowy winters with dry summers and long droughts which completely ruin the natural beauty of my country. Not to mention what the impact will be on our economy as my rainy country isn't prepared for a desert climate at all :s
edit:

maybe I 'd better put the url in it so you can view more pictures of the fires in my country

http://www.nu.nl/buitenland/2524453/heidebrand-kalmthout-beheerst.html#slideshow-/slideshow/1885033/popup.html

This message was edited May 26, 2011 11:29 AM

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 26, 2011
4:15 AM

Post #8587931

51/66A shower or two around the area early, then partly cloudy during the afternoon. Winds NNE at 15 to 25 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

Elena, laughing! She's tall, so she's a tree :o)

Prayers welcome! Carly was breech and turned, now Callun is breech and backwards. She has another ultrasound Friday and I'm praying he has turned.

Otherwise, I'm excited!

Cumulus, I sure feel for you, having no rain. Are you close to the fires or have to breath the smoke? Prayers go out for you.

Pepper, I'm so glad you have a basement and am so glad nothing happened to you or your family. It's going to be scary for a long time to come. DH has considered a concrete storm shelter. Trouble is, we have no good place to put one. We'll keep working on it, or else summeer will be here and he'll forget all about it.

Cumulus, I was wondering about the economy. I'm glad the smoke is going away from you, but sorry for the Netherlands.

Thanks for the link. Those are prety big fires. I sure feel for you and everyone trying to fight them. I hope they can get them out.

The overhead photo really shows up!

I wonder why your weather has changed so much. They talked about polarity of the earth flipping. Maybe it has. You have my sympathy.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2011
8:30 AM

Post #8588275

Wow, Cumulus. Those are some eerie pictures. Thank you for posting them. I'm with BP in sympathy for you. Things are changing all over and it's hard to adapt sometimes.

Cooler today than yesterday. 60 and overcast.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Cumulus79
Londerzeel
Belgium

May 26, 2011
11:22 AM

Post #8588657

Thanks for all the sympathie going out to me/us :) I'm not very talkactive on the forums here, but I appreciate it very much.
At least we're safe from the fires here, but I'm really wondering where we'll be by the end of summer as there isn't even the slightest hint of rain in the predictions beside a couple of showers for the ones who are lucky to catch them (usually that's NOT Londerzeel where I live).
No rain, no goverment, no water in the barrel, but I try to remind myself that there are worser places on this plannet. And luckily the beer is cheaper than the water here, so there's still a last resort for my plant collection...
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 26, 2011
5:27 PM

Post #8589338

Cool and sunny this morning with temps near 50. Finally reached mid 60s for a high. Much nicer!! lol. No storms or rain in site today!!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 27, 2011
3:00 AM

Post #8590124

44/70 A mix of clouds and sun during the morning will give way to cloudy skies this afternoon. Winds NE at 10 to 20 mph.

Celia, love those little geraniums!

Cumulus, I have to smile. Beer is good for the lawn, so maybe, the garden too.

I don't know much about Belgium, but am interested. I see you are straight up from Brussels and not near the sea. Are you in zone 8 for planting?

Pepper, I'm glad your weather is changing! It's time to get down to business and dry out.

Bath time

Thumbnail by billyporter

Cumulus79
Londerzeel
Belgium

May 27, 2011
3:40 AM

Post #8590148

billy: This used to be zone 8b here indeed, but last three winters were within the definition of a zone 6b here. Either there's something wrong with the USDA- zone maps, the climate or... me.
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

May 27, 2011

Post #8590180

Looks like that red bird has had one bath too many. Tee hee

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 27, 2011
4:46 AM

Post #8590208

Cumulus, that IS quite a zone jump. It looks like the weather is following a different trend now, if they changed it. I sure wouldn't want to go colder. I do remember years back, that they did revise our zones and make a better mapping of it. My zone stayed at 5, but we are more an 5A than a 5B. It limits some of the zone 5 plants I can grow, so I ty to go to zone 4 at least for hardiness.

Elena, LOL!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 27, 2011
5:31 PM

Post #8591558

Chilly with temps only reaching mid 60s. Was in 50s this morning. It's cold enough that we have the heat on in the house. lol. Sprinkles off and on thru out the day. Chance of rain again tomorrow. We need a break from the rain and cool weather. My tomatoes need to get bigger!!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 28, 2011
2:56 AM

Post #8592188

57/75 Rain showers developing around late morning. A few isolated thunderstorms developing this afternoon. A few storms may be severe. Winds SSW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

We had a fairly decent day yesterday and played outside. Got a little rain after we got back from the park.

My tomatoes are too big and need to harden off!

The cat just banged the porch door to get in and tore off down the hall for ...the litter box! Can't go outside I guess, LOL!
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

May 28, 2011
6:52 AM

Post #8592433

Loved that cat desperation stuff. Funny what they get used to isn't it? We only have one or two tomato blooms so are far from having any to ripen or harden. We always feel good if we get ripe ones by the fourth of July.
Cumulus79
Londerzeel
Belgium

May 28, 2011
1:31 PM

Post #8592968

Cool we had two raindrops here today, I have put one in a jewel box to keep it as souvenir :)

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 28, 2011
1:32 PM

Post #8592971

I wish I could send you some. We have a little we could spare. Not over wet here, but hot summer is coming.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 28, 2011
4:51 PM

Post #8593309

Drizzly all day. Chilly too. Just miserable weather. lol

Hardy geranium finally blooming. This geranium plant is itty bitty but it's hanging in there!! The bloom is tiny too.

Thumbnail by pepper23

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 28, 2011
5:38 PM

Post #8593373

We have LOTS of rain to spare. Wish we could parcel it out to those who DO need it.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 28, 2011
7:34 PM

Post #8593642

It was GORGEOUS here today for the Roundup.
Low 80's, Sunny and no Skeeters!

Here's our Class Portrait

Thumbnail by henryr10

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 29, 2011
2:45 AM

Post #8594017

59/82 Partly to mostly cloudy with a chance of thunderstorms. A few storms may be severe. Winds E at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 40%.

Elena, I discovered the beginnings of blooms on the cherry tomatoes :o)

Cumulus, I think I would have saved a adrop too, LOL!

Bernie, same here, we have enough.

Pepper, cool and breezy here all day.

I love the pink on the white. I have the wild pink and the Johnson's Blue. I need a white one :o)

Celia, if only we could.

Ric, gorgeous picture of everyone too!

It's supposed to warm up today. I wore shorts yesterday while the sun was out and needed a coat when the clouds covered it.

May is lovely, but let's get into June!

Baptisia

Thumbnail by billyporter

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 29, 2011
5:33 PM

Post #8595353

Almost hot today but a decent breeze made it bearable. High of around 87 and sunny.

Got to mow for the first time in years today. I haven't been allowed to mow because my dad hates my mowing style then when we got a new mower I wasn't allowed to touch it. lol. Today he finally relented and let me mow a flat section of the yard. The mower is a very touchy zero turn but I sorta got the hang of it. The basics are down, just gotta work on smoothing it out. Am hoping by the end of summer I can mow the whole yard. I still won't weed eat though. I'll cut off my foot if I try using it. lol. I'm very clumsy and flat out refuse to chance it.

My two baptisia plants. Twilite Prarieblues and the yellow version. The yellow one I may have to move since it's not getting big.

Thumbnail by pepper23

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 29, 2011
6:46 PM

Post #8595500

The Yellow ones are not quite as tough as the blue/purple ones for some reason.
'Bout the same weather here Pep.

Worked out in the yard till 12 then headed for Joyce's, then the Family Picnic.
Got home about 9PM.
Brutal Driving up... no traffic coming home.
Gas is down to $3.75 from a high last week of $4.09...

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 29, 2011
8:33 PM

Post #8595695

Go on...guess our weather.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 30, 2011
4:17 AM

Post #8596080

I feel your pain Celia.

64 here at 7AM heading for a Sunny 93.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 30, 2011

Post #8596182

Thunder as I type, but no rain to speak of. Storm system has gone by.
High today of 85. Minnesota summer is setting in.
Finished setting out sweet peppers yesterday, around 800 plants total.
Got the hot ones ready to go. They will go in the ground tomorrow. Little over 800 of them, 20 varieties. We are the hot pepper people at our market. Big line at our stand in salsa season.
Decided to do some garden tomatoes this year as our greenhouse numbers are down.
We need to rebuild the big tomato house that went down from snow in 2010 winter.
Also going to have lots of cherry tomatoes. They sell very well.

Finishing up a cabinet job today. I know it's supposed to be a holiday, but around here one day is the same as the next!
PrissyJo
Roswell, NM
(Zone 6a)

May 30, 2011
6:14 AM

Post #8596274

Well, I've been depressed and wondering why no one around here has given me any sympathy and finally came to the reality that no one in this town gardens except me. My next door neighbor's yard is a complete sand pit with no grass at all, just sand. And everytime I go out and see the rest of the town, half of the people or more don't water at all, which is probably why I still have city water to use for my garden but the town looks horrible; so dried up. So I did a little research to try to justify my stupid self-pity. I call it stupid because everyone seems to be flooded and have too much rain and it's really crazy how bad the weather has been this everywhere. It's been the WORST year for tornadoes, floods, earthquakes, drought and hurricane season hasn't even started yet. My DH used to laugh at my complaints about the weather and say all gardeners are like that... it's never just right, but now he seems to be listening to me and agreeing.
So I think it's pretty much a miracle that I have flowers and vegetables growing. My corn is knee high, my beans are up, cucumbers are blooming, squash is doing well, tomatoes are fine now after burning up for a couple of weeks, peppers are fine, onions and potatoes are great, peas provided a large supply and my cabbages and lettuces and spinach are still growing and not bolting. My lavender plants are fabulous and yarrow and hollyhocks are in full bloom. Most of my trees have made it and are looking good; I only lost two.
And so I made a list of what's actually happening here and you'll see why I'm amazed that I have anything at all:
1. We're having a drought that has so far lasted 10 months and the news is reporting that it's worse than the 1930's dust bowl. It's listed as a D4. A D1 is a drought, A D2 is a severe drought, a D3 is an extreme drought and a D4 is the highest number and is called an exceptional drought.
2. The March winds are still blowing at a average of 45 mph with gusts to 70 and pick up the pollen and sand and dust and dirt that is everywhere because people's lawns have gone kaput. The winds make it so harsh for me and the plants.
3. We have had 579 fires SO FAR THIS YEAR burning 562,435 acres and we're on a high alert warning constantly because of the dryness and the wind. When they try to put them out from overhead, the water barely reaches the fires because the atmosphere takes it away.
4. The humidity was actually 0% yesterday. It's staying around 3 to 6%. I understand that you have to have a minimum of 30% to survive! It's so low that if it did ever rain, it wouldn't come down this far. I've read where plants needs 50% to survive. That's just crazy that we have NONE. People are getting nosebleeds from lack of moisture in the air.
5. The UV index is actually higher than the top of the chart. The UV index chart goes from 1 to 11. We're at 12+ right now. At 9 they say you'll get burned in 15 minutes. They're telling us to put sunscreen on everywhere, cover every part of your body, use an umbrella in the extreme instance that you have to go outside at all. Well, of course you have to go outside. People have to work and I have to work AND garden.
6. The temperature yesterday was 110 degrees. It's only supposed to go to 105 today. Wow, what a break.
7. The temperatures this winter were extremely low; minus 9 for a week straight. I'm supposed to be in zone 8. What a joke! It was below freezing here at night less than 3 weeks ago. Just utterly amazing. Not only did I lose two trees but all of my large "bushes" including my crepe myrtles, hollies, Old Man Mexican.
8. I can't think of anything else to complain about right now. Am I just being a weakling? I was born with a heart condition and am not supposed to be in the heat... but I can't survive at all without my garden!!!! My DH has a specialized job and it's here so we can't move until he retires. Since the people around here don't seem to be as affected as I am and they don't garden, they don't give me any sympathy... does anybody on this forum have any sympathy for me? lol. Thanks for listening to my rant. Priscilla

Thumbnail by PrissyJo

tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

May 30, 2011
3:24 PM

Post #8597563

kwanjin?? did ya get much rain up there today? we sure did in provo.. not as much as yesterday..
yesterday afternoon..geesh.. it poured for over an hr..
i went out yesterday between rains and put down fertilizer on lawn.. hope it does dry out some this week!!!
or i'll have a jungle for a lawn.. lol
it also was pretty chilly this morning.. 6am was 41F.. thats cold enough for me.. its almost june sigh
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 30, 2011
5:30 PM

Post #8597830

PrissyJo, that is extreme!! You have my sympathy!! I hope things get better soon though it doesn't sound like it will.

Today was decent for the most part. I'm not sure what the temps reached though it was forcasted to hit 90. Strong breezes all day kept it nice.

One of my alliums. Recieved them in a trade last year.

Thumbnail by pepper23

PrissyJo
Roswell, NM
(Zone 6a)

May 30, 2011
6:04 PM

Post #8597903

Thank you Pepper! I feel heard and understood! rofl! I love the pictures you submit because it makes me feel like there are beautiful gardens everywhere. I've never seen a pink allium before!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 30, 2011
6:26 PM

Post #8597961

Ah but it's not an Allium...
It's a Nectaroscordum Siculum (Sicilian Honey Lily)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rnranimals/2540309490/

Should stink of Garlic.

Highly prized in our yard.

90 here today w/ a 97 HI

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 30, 2011
6:56 PM

Post #8598043

Should stink of garllic huh? If I had known that earlier I could have had my nephew play with it to see. LOL. He was checking out everything today. lol

He also tried herbs for the first time today and doesn't like them raw. LOL. It was mainly purple globe basil, thyme, sage and oregano. I need to get some mint for him. I know he will like that.

Sylvia Denny Clematis

Thumbnail by pepper23

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 30, 2011
11:15 PM

Post #8598484

Tropic, boy, we sure did. In the last 24 hours, we've gotten .70" and in the last week, we've had 1.37". In the last month 4.08". The clouds have moved out and we have clear skies. Now...50. I uderstand the lawn jungle! LOL

76 for tomorrow and sunny skies. Yea!

Pepper, she's very pretty. I can't wait for my clems to bloom. My Blue Light had 3 buds on it but the high winds we had broke one of the stems and took 2 buds with it.

Ladypearl
Iowa Park, TX

May 31, 2011
12:10 AM

Post #8598497

PrissyJo, Here in this part of north Texas we are also experiencing a drought. We had a dry winter except for some snow in December 2010 and have had a dry spring except for just over an inch in May - it makes gardening very challenging. So I understand very well what you are going through. This area also has had a lot of fires, many of them started by people throwing cigarette butts out vehicle windows. And the winds have been awful - make it very difficult to control a fire once it is started.

The mockingbirds and robins are struggling to find enough worms and insects to feed their babies.

For the first time since we moved here six years ago I am using a soaker hose on our much downsized garden. It saves me a lot of time since the garden needs to be water so often.
It does seem strange that in the eastern part of the country they are having horrible flooding while those of us farther west are in such a dry time. What is the deal with that? I have noticed when it is extremely windy here, the next day I hear on the news about tornadoes in states east of us. It makes me dread the really windy days for more than one reason.
One wonders when the weather is going to balance out again.
PrissyJo
Roswell, NM
(Zone 6a)

May 31, 2011
2:55 AM

Post #8598553

Lady Pearl -- Thank you for writing in with so much understanding. That's exactly how I feel.

The only birds I have right now are doves and blackbirds although a friend of mine does have a robin's nest in one of her plants on her porch that just hatched four babies. Hopefully they'll find some worms. My DH has a worm farm in one of our sheds and it's got thousands of babies right now. I should take her some.

I know what you mean though about the drastic differences in the area east of the Mississippi and our area. It seems like we're on another planet!

Is your town looking really bad right now or are people watering to keep some kind of ground cover to keep the dirt from flying? It's a conundrum since I hate to waste water but I've never seen such a desolated looking place!
Cumulus79
Londerzeel
Belgium

May 31, 2011
12:06 PM

Post #8599506

Thanks all for the prayers being sent, it looks like they worked :)
We had a lot of rain here today and I have put buckets, boxes and pots under every surface that had any slope to collect as much water as I can. There should be enough to survive another month without rain although I'm still worried about the nature. Most of the nature parcs and forests are still closed for public to keep the fire risk at a minimum.
Maybe I can auction that raindrop in my jewel box on ebay and buy a huge cistern with the profit ;)
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 31, 2011
5:40 PM

Post #8600070

Storms last night, hot and sunny today.
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

May 31, 2011
6:35 PM

Post #8600202

yea!! a "sort of" spring day today.. lol
was in mid 70s..this evening warm wind is comming thru..and i welcome it..
hope it brings clear skies..and warmer temps..
kwanjin?? i see parts of west jordan are having flooding..hope you are ok??
guess its a double edge sword huh.. we all want warmer temps..but at least here
in utah.. our mts have a TON of snow.. some are saying skiing maybe into july at
some resorts..LOL unreal...
all that snow will have to melt sometime..which will come into the valleys..
my iris's are going super right now!!!
peony's are budding nice.. this is a bit late for them.. but welcome.. many times
they bloom memorial day weekend..and we have last snow or heavy rain and
messes up the flowers..so im anxious to see how big and well they do this yr..

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 31, 2011
7:08 PM

Post #8600300

Tropic, yes, we're fine. No flooding but some of my plants aren't happy about being almost drowned. LOL I heard that about the ski resports staying open. Amazing...skiing in July. In Utah.

We need pics of your flowers!

I caught this Western Tanager a couple of days ago.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

May 31, 2011
7:26 PM

Post #8600339

i need to start taking more pics and posting..
me too on the western tananger..
?do you know if they stay here or are they on a migration?
ive seen them here before..but this yr..ive seen many..males and females..
great pic kwanjin!!!
dont they have super vibrant colours!!!
glad to hear your and your family are good there!!!
parts of utah valley near ut lake have high water tables this yr..
dont know how high ut lake will get..
Ladypearl
Iowa Park, TX

May 31, 2011
9:44 PM

Post #8600601

PrissyJo, A lot of businesses here have automatic sprinkler systems so it is quite green and pretty around town. Many people are also watering their lawns and gardens and the farmers are able to get irrigation water from the reservoirs. So it doesn't look too bad at first glance. But areas that are not being watered are so dry even the weeds are dieing.
We have a kind of black bird here called boat tail grackles that steal and eat the babies of other kinds of birds. I was wondering if the black birds that you are talking about were grackles? We don't like grackles here since they do eat baby mockingbirds, robins, doves and cardinals. Sometimes the grackles go to meet their Maker when we find them hunting in my yard. ; )
One thing that has not seemed to be bothered by the dry weather is grubs/June bugs. At night I go out to the porch and collect the beetles from under the lights to feed to the chickens the next day.
Do you have fire ants there?

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 31, 2011
9:55 PM

Post #8600615

The Tanagers winter in the tropics! Lucky birds.
PrissyJo
Roswell, NM
(Zone 6a)

June 1, 2011
2:45 AM

Post #8600711

LadyPearl - Yes. The blackbirds ARE grackles! I had no idea they eat others babies. Maybe that's why we don't have many other kinds here. I also have a pair of hawks of somekind, I can't identify them, they may be falcons so they might keep the grackle population down to a dull roar. I did see a hummingbird yesterday. Oh yes! We have fire ants and many other kinds of ants, too. They've been running along my raised beds for several months. Those fire ants are dangerous! We've also got a lot of scorpions, mostly babies right now, ug. It's been so bad here that my DH was wondering where the locusts are! Yes, I've had a lot of grubs, too, but we don't have chickens yet. The plan is to get a few of them within 2 years. Are they hard to care for? We've only got two small lots so I'm not sure we'll have enough room but we both want some.

I can't believe it but we've got a 10% chance of thunderstorms!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They say though if we do get the storms, it will be hail and gusting winds. Hope there's no hail damage. Last year was tough for that. But even if we don't get any moisture at least the humidity will go up some, I hope.

There's a city park a couple of blocks from me and they started watering it again. It lost a lot of plants and trees from the cold winter and drought but it has a sunken garden with a water fountain but they haven't filled it with water but maybe they will this year. It used to be so nice to go there when they put water in the fountain.

This is one of my many different varieties of lavender.

Thumbnail by PrissyJo

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 1, 2011
3:03 AM

Post #8600720

60/82 Through 10am: Mostly sunny with temperatures rising towards the upper 60s. Winds light and variable. Then Partly cloudy. Winds W at 5 to 10 mph.

Pepper, smiling over ''your style of mowing." I can't imagine. But, I've seen people mow with the zero turns and got a bigger smile imagining that!

I love baptisia!

Bernie, that is a sea of peppers!

One day is the same as the next round here too.

Prissy, huge hugs and sympathy! I fear drought and hope I never have to live thru it.

I can't imagine people not putting in a few flowers of their own when you have what seems like an oasis.

Self pity? No. You have my utmost pity. Yet, you have kept a garden going and have beauty around you :o)

I'd say you get a gold star for the best weather report :o)

Your garden does look great!

Tropicalnut, I feel your sigh :o) Almost June.

Pepper, love the ''not'' alliums. Very pretty! The clematis too!

Ladypearl, it's been windy all over the states. I don't think we've had a calm day. Reading everyone's weather makes me think that in spite of the tornado threats, that Iowa is a pretty good place to live.

Prissy, we had a tame robin this Spring and we threw her worms. DH did get her to take one from his hand :o)

Cool on the worm farm!

Cumulus, amazing!! I'm glad you got rain!!

That raindrop is pretty precious!

Tropicalnut, DH read the other day that because the mountains had so much snow over winter, that it's what is causing the winds. DH didn't say which mountains, but they had over 70' of snow.

Don't you love when the iris and peonies start?

Celia the tanager is gorgeous!!

Ladypearl, I dan't care for the grackles either.

I'll bet your chickens go crazy for the june bugs :o)

Well, it been absolutely beautiful here the last two days. We warmed up, so we could finally say we had a nice wind. The windows have been open for two days and nights.

I planted my tomatoes, peppers and eggplant. The cabbage and broccoli dried up under the lights this year. I replanted some of the spinach and put in a row of green beans.

DH called the guy who is supposed to be doing the driveway. I swear, if you don't keep after them they will keep putting you off. He'll come Friday to give a new estimate since we've decided to redo the garage apron too.

Chin up everyone. Your weather has to change. Nothing is constant in nature.

Thumbnail by billyporter

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 1, 2011
4:58 AM

Post #8600854

June thread;
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1186274/

This thread is CLOSED!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Weather Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Boring Hurricane Boards? Floridian 106 Jul 24, 2011 12:43 PM
Big Feb Storm CountryGardens 54 Mar 3, 2007 2:39 PM
Yipee It's March!! Daily Weather sugarweed 206 Mar 9, 2007 4:58 AM
Deadly Tornado hits Alabama henryr10 22 Mar 5, 2007 5:01 PM
Help!!! Something's eating the moon!!!! Resin 10 Mar 6, 2007 4:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America