Photo by Melody

Central Midwest Gardening: May 2011- Sun and Warmth finally....I hope!!

Communities > Forums > Central Midwest Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Central Midwest GardeningReplies: 221, Views: 1,075
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 1, 2011
1:20 PM

Post #8532609

New thread for May!!

What a dreary day for May Day!! Rain and more rain.

Got my software downloaded for my Canon camera and so far everything is working including importing pictures.

Hope this works. Had to switch to Chrome to use DG. IE9 and DG don't mix well. I can't make the pics smaller either. So may not go thru. Pic won't work. Grrr

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 1, 2011
3:28 PM

Post #8532852

Thanks for the new thread! Rainy May Day here too, but since we are still in drought situation, I can't complain. Lots of hummers fighting over the feeders today. I will be glad when I get some flower blooming.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 2, 2011
5:42 AM

Post #8533953

Crit, thanks! Laughing over the ewwwww! I don't care to find it outside, much less in a flower pot!

Thank you Pepper! I have IE8. My SIL upgraded to 9 and doesn't like it.

I'm glad you are getting your camera set up. It's been a while :o)

Crit, I can't imagine how bad it is living with a drought. I sure hope the rain continues for you. As I said on another thread, it takes rain to make rain. Every drop counts!

I have no hummers yet. The wren should be here anyday now and the orioles around the 7th. I haven't noted when the hummers come. I think after the wild columbine bloom, and it hasn't yet.

I got up and got busy yesterday. My house is now dusted, vacuumed and the floors mopped. I made stuffed peppers for dinner since I found the stufffing in the freezer. While that was going, I made a dessert. After dinner, I made two rhubarb pies with my rhubarb and put 8 cups in the freezer. Then I mowed. Then, I got one more third of the South Peony Bed weeded. Almost have all the beds weeded now. I just have to go around and fine tune, LOL!

I have clothes to wash so have a happy day all!
ImaMes
Camdenton, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 2, 2011
9:13 AM

Post #8534523

Happ - I do have Oakleaf Hydrangea babies, so I'll definitely dig some up for you. I may have to pot them up and coddle them for a while before I send them. Some of them do better than others and I want to send you a good one...not a dead one. They are small - only about 5-6 inches tall, but they'll grow. :-)

Billyp - Beautiful garden! It looks ready to go.

Crit - Glad you're getting some rain. We have had a few hummers, but not a lot fighting over the feeders yet. I need to get some Lantana to put in a pot on my patio. They love that. So do the butterflies. Now we're waiting for the orioles to show up. We have our feeder up, but none so far.

Will - That's definitely river rock. Pea gravel is...well...the size of peas! hehe. And it's more uniform in size.

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

May 2, 2011
9:27 AM

Post #8534549

We had a breezy but dry Sunday. I kept right on working...I got so much done on my short vacation.
Found the leak in the pond and almost have the waterfall done and I think I like it now...finally. I have the water flow and sound I wanted. Just a few more rocks to finish but dang that is hard work...

My friend had a cat that did that, so I knew before the house was done to buy screen, cut it in a circle the size of the pot with an opening for the plant and you are safe...not have that happening to my plants. When my Mom moved in she had a cat so every pot in the solar room was covered that way.

Beautiful gardens Billy, you soil looks great! I have the raised beds done, but now I need top soil to fill them along with some compost. I am really going to like gardening this way. I have been dumping my grass clippings around the bed so I don't have to weed eat, I know I should of put it in the bottom of the bed.

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

May 2, 2011
9:31 AM

Post #8534557

Oh yeah...Ima, I will send you postage...yeah... I didn't know they made babies at the base, that is good to know. I like things I can share that aren't thugs...rofl, like yarrow. I have contained my yarrow so far, it is inside the black plastic landscape edging and that seems to work for now anyway...
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 2, 2011
5:52 PM

Post #8535541

Ima ... do you have your Oakleaf Hydranga planted outside?

happ... I don't understand how dumping your grass clippings around the edge will keep you from having to weed eat. (feel dumb right now)

I haven't ever seen orioles around here, but I have a fruit plate out just in case. Plus for the b'files.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

May 2, 2011
6:20 PM

Post #8535595

Crit the grass clippings from the bag that I am dumping are really deep so they will mat down and won't let any light come thru, hense nothing will grow. I have done that around the most expensive yard ornament I have the 2 propane tanks, around my small trees, raspberry bush, blackberry bush, and a few other things. All this stuff is in my garden area and it is far enough from the house no one can see what it is. It isn't very eye appealing so I wouldn't want it in the flower garden area. I will take a pic tomorrow and show you.

Frost warnings again tonight, so out I went and it is cold out there already...ok enough I need some warmth...rofl.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 2, 2011
7:03 PM

Post #8535721

I had to bring in my desert rose and pepper seedlings so they would live. lol. I have another houseplant out there that can handle the cold so I leave it. Boston fern in on it's own. It's coming back though. I saw new green on it the other day.

That's a great idea with the grass clippings. I'm gonna tell my grandma about that.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

May 2, 2011
7:09 PM

Post #8535744

Ewww is funny! You'd think thats what our 7 litter-boxes are for! Well, we have 7 cats! Oh, the landscaping is coming along nicely here. Today, I ran the weedeater, shoveled more river rock, put up a humming-bird feeder, dug more in the proposed water-pond and more. I think code--enforcement is happy enuff with us for now. They have something going on down the street at a vacant house I think thats prolly in big violation. I was working under the hood of my new car (nothing major) when they went by. They rolled by slow so they could look at the backyard, but they kept on going. I waved to them and they waved back, I think we're good for now.

Yeah, frost tonite they say, I put in a big potted tomato plant, and about 12 potted Caladium and Elephant Ear bulbs in the garage that haven't sprouted yet.
35° F tonite in KCMO! It'll prolly be 90° F in a couple of weeks!

Yeah, it's Missouri River Rock I'm sure now, she had that put there and I didn't know it, about 4 years ago. I wasn't present when she had that done, she says it was a pallet of it, so I'm guessing alot. I now have 7 buckets of it filled up, for future use somewhere.

Boy, the hole-digging for the waterpond is a muddy chore! Here it is so far in the photo below. It was full of rainwater until a couple days ago. That thing really catches the runoff, which is good, thats the plan eventually. Now that the unlicensed car is gone, that was right there, maybe it will have little enuff oil and stuff wash into it, that it'll sustain fish. I want to do enuff digging now, so I don't have any regrets about it later, like not having "shelves" dug or something that'll be nice to have.
Any thoughts on the digging of the waterpond hole? I've never done one before, total newbie here! You can see the basic shape of it in the photo I think, anything bad about that concept? See that kind of "overflow" chute stream thing, is that silly? Should I make sort of filters, not in the typical sense, but a sort of way to keep sticks out and fish in perhaps? Please, I take constructive criticism well, any input is appreciated. I have built up a sort of soil mound on one side, it's just a bunch of soil from out of the hole as I've been digging. Is there anything bad about having that? Maybe it'd affect the waterpond adversely? All the soil hasn't gone over there, but I'd say roughly 1/4 of it has.

That is a good idea on the grass clippings. I always wondered why my Mom piled her's around her trees and whatnot, now I know! : )
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Click the image for an enlarged view.

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

May 3, 2011
5:37 AM

Post #8536381

Will on the watergarden,
http://watergarden.com/pages/build_wg.html
This site is pretty condensed with pictures.
My biggest problem is I didn't make my shelves big enough for lotus pots and it is soooo windy at my house the plants won't stay upright. When I build my big pond I will make the shelf lean back away from the water and try to get them to stay upright.

Are you making a watergarden or a rain garden? Watergarden you don't want any runoff running into the garden. Rain garden you do...

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 3, 2011
5:50 AM

Post #8536419

32°/54°
Mainly sunny to start, then a few afternoon clouds. High 54F. Winds NNW at 10 to 15 mph.

ImaMes, I was waiting for you so I could post my rock picture. My oakleaf is slow, but is leafing out nicely. I haven't taken a picture yet because I want to swith out the wire around it.

Thanks, I think I better water all the rows today. We finally have no rain in the forcast. Those east of me sure are geting it tho!

I saw a wren this morning, right on schedule, a goldfinch in all it;s glory, just in time to blend in with the dandelions and our orioles usually come around the 7th.

Happ, good news on the pond and waterfall. It will be so soothing! My SIL has a perovskia planted next to hers and boy does that look good.

I think you'll like your raised beds too. I keep envisioning my whole garden with them, but I doubt it happens. I would probablu loose the room I need.

Happ, I am laughing over all your grass clippins! You must mow a huge area! My neighbor uses their clippings and she has a lot of yard.

Pepper, smiling over the Boston Fern not giving up.

Will, one per cat is a good thing. How do you dispose of the ''leavings?''

Always nice to be in good with the ''law.'' You got a lot accomplished!

I've never done a pond or have seen too many, so I'm no help. How big are you going to make it? The shovel shows how deep it is. Otherwise a person might not be able to tell. It will be so nice to sit out there after it's done.

Happ, an exellent site!

I am almost finished weeding in the South Peony. I never saw so many plants that I don't think I planted. The have to be weeds, and since there are so many of them, they must be invasives, LOL! I'll have to take a shovel out to finally rid myself of the beautiful, but invasive campanula rapidinoids. That may not be spelled right, but they move rapidly!

We had a low of 32*, but no ice in the water dishes or birdbathes. It's cold out there now tho!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

May 3, 2011
6:17 AM

Post #8536495

Billy, weeds are ruling here also! Do you have alot of peonies? I have a row on the north side of the house and then peonies scattered all over the gardens.

I do mow alot because DH is not allowed around the flower beds! I have flower beds all around the house, then under pine trees, all around the garden room and two out in the front yard. The beds around the house range from two feet deep to maybe 10 feet deep at one corner...The two in the front yard need revamping for sure. I would like to make them deeper but not this year, this year is the year of the completetion...NO NEW PROJECTS! rofl...wish me luck!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 3, 2011
6:29 AM

Post #8536516

Happ, I used to have a lot of peonies, 22 of them, but they were all the same. No, I take that back. One was here when we moved here. It was the deepest red. Then I got three from an old woman's house when my SIL moved out. Those broke into many. They were the white with red flecks, a pink, and a white with the palest pink outer rim. I kept one of everything and gave the rest away. Sometimes I wish I had more again, but I have no room.

I hear you and wish you much luck, LOL! I am almost done with the ''completion" and ready to work on making a couple beds larger. I have to, the grass is filling in the edges. I did find while weeding, I have a lot more room in the shady beds than I thought. Trouble is, I like and have, mostly sun loving plants.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 3, 2011
6:57 AM

Post #8536582

ImaMes, I almst forgot the picture.

Here are my lovely rocks with the lavender Bee Balm on each side.

Thumbnail by billyporter

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

May 3, 2011
11:12 AM

Post #8537075

billy that is a pretty bed.

When your house sits on 3 acres the problem is you have wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to much room to plant. Planting is not the problem so much, it is the weeding and mulching or tending I guess...that is the real problem.

Cybrczch

Cybrczch
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

May 3, 2011
5:47 PM

Post #8537857

First harvest of 2011

Pictured are Ruby leaf lettuce, Space hybrid spinach, and Concept summer crisp lettuce. Soda can is just for scale.

Gonna have me a salad tonight :)

Thumbnail by Cybrczch

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 3, 2011
5:49 PM

Post #8537863

Looks great!!
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

May 3, 2011
7:49 PM

Post #8538216

Yes, it does look great Cyb, you know what they say, "if it has color, it is good for you"! That indeed has color!

Thanks for the info. on the waterpond happ. I have to let it catch rain runoff to remedy the mud/rainwater problem there. I want both dangit, a raingarden and a waterpond! lol It has good info., thanks happ. It is 28" deep in one spot. I am trying to follow the advice at that link you posted happ, about the percentage distribution of the areas, for instance the deep part is supposed to be roughly 40% of the pond. Thats hard to do I am learning, but I'm going to keep digging! I've kinda got a shelf of sorts, on one side. I'd like to make it flat enuff and stuff to put patio blocks or a treated board there to ensure the flatness maybe, underneath the liner. I need to get the pond finished, so I can put plants in it and by it soon.

Haha! The "leavings" go in the trash. Cleaning litter-boxes is quite a job. I'd consider using the manure as a sort of fertilizer, but they get buried and covered pretty good with litter, litter makes a sort of sticky, muddy goo when it gets wet I found out. Actually, there is 8 cats here, but one isn't ours but it has been here for over a year, we're not sure that the lady wants it back at this point. My friend here likes it alot so we may be adopting it.

Nice beds, billyp, you're hard work has paid off, they are beautiful!
Thanks billyp, I'm not much of a fan of Code-Enforcement coming around, I must admit! I do like to abide by the law tho, and I'm sure they are only doing they're jobs.
If it wasn't for code enforcement many cities would prolly be a sty!

I'm trying to rejuvenate a potted Strawberry Begonia, that has gotten some crunchy, brown leaves lately. I looked it up in PlantFiles, I didn't know it was so cold-hardy, to 0° F! I know now that I wouldn't need to bring it in until Dec. 1st or so!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

May 3, 2011
7:49 PM

Post #8538217

Well, I'm gonna try my luck at making 3 Hall's Honeysuckle vine cuttings. I am pretty sure they are considered invasive, but I want more climbers so I have vines for arbors and other trellis-like contraptions. These aren't the dreaded bushes! : )

Thumbnail by shortleaf

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 4, 2011
5:17 AM

Post #8538798

Happ, thanks :o)

I can see the problem with a lot of land, but it sure sounds nice. I guess the answer is a tractor mower.

Cybr, that is one nice harvest! Not one bug ate your salad first :o)

Will, I think I would outline the finished size of the pond, dig all around the outline and continue to the depths. It's really going to be impressive when you are done. Especially since we know how much work you are putting into it!

If it is the size it will be, then ignore all my advice, LOL!

Those ''leavings'' get pretty heavy, LOL! I gather mine in a kid's sand-box pail and am able to sling it into the trees across the road. Poison Ivy is starting over there, so that's where I aim for.

That is exactly why there has to be some rules about how much of a ''sty'' you can have. People leave little things out that could easily be put away or stacked nicely. They just don't want to. Then it blows in my yard and I pick it up. Lately it's scratched off lottery tickets. Then there is the candy wrappers and plastic bags.

Good luck with the honeysuckle. You can always tear it out, right?

I've been sleeping in till 5:00 am and I tell you I miss being up that extra hour. But, if I'm going to be up till nightfall, I have to go with the clock :o(

Yesterday it was unbelievably cold and I stayed in till late afternoon. Then I only walked the yard. I wonder how I'm ever going to stand winter again!
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

May 4, 2011
1:01 PM

Post #8539579

I'm sorry, Sally, I missed a question from you. How big is it going to be? I'm not really sure yet. I'll prolly peter out and make it about the size as it is now. Then again, I could start digging like a crazy man! Thanks billyp, it is a lot of work, doing it alone is not the preferred way! But, at least this way I don't have anyone to blame but myself! lol Wait, not sure I like that! : ) Thats a good idea about the outline, but then if I didn't dig out to that I'd feel bad!

Tear out the Honeysuckle? Well, I don't know, but at least I'd know where it's at! My friend loves it, (she doesn't care that I say it's invasive), I'm really more interested in her happiness.

I agree, trash from others is upsetting. One time I picked up a bag of what appeared to be an empty bag of syringes for trash, makes you wonder about the neighbors!

You sleep in until 5am Sallyp? You ought to be ashamed of yourself! lol

I love Poison Ivy, I just don't touch it! I saw that it has the prettiest red color in the Fall. I thought about planting it and Prickly Pear underneath all my windows, in case someone peeps or wants to break in!

I'd love to have the problem of too much land! : ) Maybe someday I will! I'm glad to hear the Rose is doing good, happ. My friend here really wants that Rose. She reminded me again the other day how I killed her Roses over the Winter! She'll never forget that I'm afraid!
Will

This message was edited May 4, 2011 2:15 PM
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 4, 2011
5:49 PM

Post #8540228

Hey Will!! If you aren't part of Home Depot's Garden Club join ASAP. They have a coupon there where you buy 2 roses get the third one free. I'm taking my grandma on Friday to take advantage.

Pond is starting to look good. I'm behind on everything here at home but hoping to get stuff potted up or planted on Friday. I have to get my tulips out of the veggie bed too so my dad can till. And weeds galore here!! lol
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

May 4, 2011
7:31 PM

Post #8540432

Thanks Pepper, that sounds like an awesome deal but I am really counting my pennies more than ever now, I am officially unemployed now.
My living arrangements and everything is fine, I am just pretty broke now. Tonite, when I left my grandparents' from playing a few games of Chess, I cut a small branch of my Grandmother's red climbing Rose. I've already stuck it in soil. I've got 2 cuttings from her planted, but I think the first one mighta been a dead stick, I was in a hurry and it was dark. This time though, I had my trusty Fiskars and it was still light tonite at 8:00. Here it is tonite, hopefully getting ready to sprout a new plant! The new one is on the left and the "dead stick" cutting is on the right, next to it, maybe there was some live tissue on it I'm hoping.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 5, 2011
4:00 AM

Post #8540817

Yesterday was a bit cool, but perfect for weeding. I got the rose bed all done! Now I need to weed out the Rover Campion and the South Peony Bed will be all done!

Will, how big across is it now?
Yep, you're the man to blame, LOL! Since you have an idea of what you want and the plants you want to set in there, I do think you'll end up making it bigger.

Syringes. Yowza! I imagine someone has diabetes.

I love the peeping tom/thief deterrent, but I'd still manage to get into it myself!

ROTFL!! Get her a rose for Mother's day :o)

Pepper, what a great thing to do with your Grandma!

As they bloom, I'm getting my tulips re-marked for removal this summer. I also have Hollyhocks growing right on the edge. Now, I know they can't stay there. I learned that last summer trying to mow the 2' grass strip beside them. But, I haven't moved them yet. I asked DH yesterday where we should put that outhouse, LOL!

Will, you've got a green thumb, so if it's alive, you should get it to root. (Now that sentence is begging for an answer :o)

That's the touchy thing for me and I use rooting powder too.

Yep, it looks nice and green. I love free plants :o)

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 5, 2011
4:24 AM

Post #8540850

On the roses... you just take a cutting and put it in the soil for it to root and make a new bush?
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

May 5, 2011
9:25 AM

Post #8541454

Hi Crit. Yes, thats the plan for me. Altho, thats in my raised bed, if they grow, I'll dig them up and pot them up.
http://www.rose-gardening-made-easy.com/growing-roses-from-cuttings.html
Will
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

May 5, 2011
9:47 AM

Post #8541477

Haha! I have a green thumb eh?! Maybe kinda in the middle! I've unintentionally killed quite a few plants!

Oh, last Mother's Day, she had her kids get her Knockoutİ Roses. She ended up with enuff of them to make a hedge across her front yard. I, got her two myself.
I'll get a photo of it, it's quite impressive. It's not filled in yet, but it will someday. Mine weren't, but some of them were quite small, they were like $5.99 1 gallon specials.
Some barely came over the top of the nursery pot. They're prolly growing good now, they're prolly equal to 2 gallon plants now.

It's raining now or I'd measure it, but I'd guess the waterpond is 6 or 7 feet across so far. I hate to look at it, but it's prolly full up to the top with rainwater now!
Oh well, my plants get watered and my rainbarrel is full!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

May 5, 2011
11:45 AM

Post #8541684

Hehe.. Yep, (the waterpond hole) it is full up to the top with rainwater! I measured it at it's widest billyp, it is 6' 5" at it's widest. Wow, I don't usually guess that close!
I usually have the gamefish guess on stuff! I braved the elements to measure it! Actually, the raining has nearly stopped, it's kinda light now.
I tell you, if something goes wrong with that pond or something, fingers know where to point! lol Not to be mistaken tho, my friend here is very appreciative of what I do.
That pond liner is 10' x 13', thats likely flat, not accounting for a dug hole. I'm thinking I better not go much bigger, lest I go too big for the liner! I might trade that little bridge for that Arbor. That Arbor really gets in the way of work and stuff. I got that statuary from my Stepmom recently, my Dad painted it before he passed away. I'm gonna put a little $9.99 190 gph Harbor Freight pump on it for the birds and the splashing water sound! I need to repaint it, some paint came off. My Stepmom is giving me alot of statuaries that my Dad really liked. She doesn't say it, but I think I remind my Stepmom of my Father. I love her to pieces, even if we're not technically related anymore, (I kinda have 2 Moms). At holidays like Christmas and Mothers Day I always remember her. And especially my Dad's birthday, her birthday and they're anniversary when she is really sad, I'll at least send her a card or call her. Well, enuff sadness, everyone has grief! : )
I'm so glad it's May!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 5, 2011
11:53 AM

Post #8541698

Will, I couldn't guage the pond's size. I would have said it was smaller. No wonder you think it's big enough, LOL! I'd say it was a perfect size. When the liner is in and the leftover sticks out are you covering it with rocks?

That's pretty cool to get along with your Stepmom so well. I'm sure she really appreciates the attention. I'm sorry your Dad has passed. How long ago?

The statuary will be a wonderful reminder of both your Dad and Stepmom.

I'm glad it's May too! We are to be warming up starting tomorrow.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 5, 2011
12:15 PM

Post #8541738

Now how did I miss your post above the last. The Knock out Hedge is going to be gorgeous!

Laughing, that was an exellent guess on the pond's size!
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

May 5, 2011
1:35 PM

Post #8541890

Thanks Sally. He passed away in June of 2007. He had an aortic aneurysm operation here in Kansas City and didn't make it out of recovery.
Many things just went wrong. I think the hospital could have been more forthcoming with information about his condition to undergo that surgery, and how serious the surgery itself really was. He could have lived fine for years with the Aortic Aneurysm, it never burst. They even tried to bill my Stepmom $90,000 for that operation shortly afterward, she'd have to tell the bill collectors, in tears, that her husband was dead. I'm not faulting the hospital entirely, he had some issues that would compromise an ideal recovery, they should have known that. My opinion is they were too eager to do it and get the insurance money.
I've said several times, "how do you walk into a hospital and leave dead 2 days later?". I'm not trying to discourage people from getting treatment for ailments, many surgeries and stuff I'm sure go just fine and it helps tremendously. I just think one needs to be entirely sure of everything in healthcare first, and get multiple opinions.
See those patio blocks? I think I'll lay them on the liner's edge, then cover the blocks up with dirt.
Will

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 6, 2011
5:20 AM

Post #8543330

Will, that's what DH's Dad went thru. He made it thru surgery, but thru the night. He was not in good shape, but the operation was a solution to maybe having more years. I feel the hospital did what they could for him. He was a Vet, so it went thru them.

Are you going to try and plant on top of them after covering with dirt? It would make a nice mound around the pond and some places could be higher than others. It's going to be interesting to seee it all done. There's so much to consider.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

May 6, 2011
2:35 PM

Post #8544251

Eeek! He had the same thing? Poor guy. My Father made it thru one night also. We had a good Father's Day 6 days before he passed, he knew he was loved. In fact, I was the last one to get his photo, that day, my Stepmom cherished those photos and put them up. I think I clammed up about it back then on DG.
I don't mean to bring down the readers. Let's get back to plants and stuff! : )
I probably will plant on top of the patio blocks, there should be plenty of soil for plants, there is 13 - 80 lb. bags of Miracle Groİ Garden Soil left.
Here are a few of the plants that I have yet to plant, thats probably 25% of them. See Hereford the cat in the window grooming herself?
Thanks, I hope it turns out nice too, I'd be glad to post photos of it when I'm done. I just hope the water-plants do okay with rainwater washing in. If they do okay we might try Fish!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 7, 2011
4:12 AM

Post #8545168

Will, I missed a word. He did not make it thru the night. He died late evening. DH said his head was swollen to the size of a basketball.

I am so glad you had that with your Dad. It must have been very hard to see him pass so soon.

It isn't easy to bring things up when they are fresh, but it is nice to have sympathy later.

You can also use what you dug out. It will be more clay like and a good base. That will be a nice ''hill'' around the pond. It might help reflect the water sounds back to you too. Try some cheap goldfish and see how they do. I think you'll get hooked.

Smiling over Herford :o)

Your plants look good!

We didn't get a drop of rain overnight. I'm a bit bummed, but we have the Grandkids for two days so I'm glad the grass is dry :o)

I've been weeding and finishing everything I set out to do. I have grubbed out so many things I can't identify. Instead of stressing over whether it was a good plant, I'm just saying I made room for something else.

I also have a baggie full of rhubarb to deal with. I haven't cooked any down for a ''spring tonic'' yet :o)
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

May 7, 2011
10:55 PM

Post #8547046

My Father should've passed the first day, I think he was in bad pain. My Dad's head was swollen up too. Yeah, he did go too soon, it was so sudden and a shock to everyone, no-one expected it to go that way. When he died in ICU was the nightmare part. Yeah back then, it was like a bad dream, sometimes I'd just sit there and be like, "wow, my Dad is gone", it didn't seem possible, but trajedy like that does make you stronger later. After that, an Aunt (his oldest Sister) died of a brain tumor less than a year later, then they're Mother (my Grandmother) less than a year after that. Its ironic that my paternal Grandma outlived 2 of her children by less than 2 years, she didn't smoke, they did.
Hehe! You know, I got that wrong, Hereford cows are brown, it was Holstein that I shoulda named her!
Thanks billyp, lots to plant! Happy Mother's Day to all the Mothers out there!
The rhubarb sounds delicious!
Will
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 8, 2011
6:12 AM

Post #8547338

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY TO EVERYONE! Even those who have 4 legged fur-babies
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

May 8, 2011
6:56 AM

Post #8547409

HAPPY MOM'S DAY you all...

Out to play in the dirt. Got up a 4am yesterday and went to the farmers maket with friends, we had soooo much fun and bought some neat things...got really warm yesterday!

The rose is still fine should be completely recovered by the time I get to see you...now for the hole that it came out of not so much, need to get it filled in...that thing had roots to China!

DH wants his computer...I will chat later have a great day you all!

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 8, 2011
5:28 PM

Post #8548341

HAppy Mother's Day!!

Got my neighbor taken care of today. She kept coming into our yard again today and my dad went up to her when she came back over and said no more. She said ok and sorry. Couple relatives came over and they weren't happy but my dad was firm and polite. She quit coming over into yard and not long after that parked the bike.

Happ, those hostas I got from you a few years ago are getting huge!!

Thumbnail by pepper23

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 8, 2011
7:22 PM

Post #8548709

pepper ... what was going on with your neighbor?
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 8, 2011
7:47 PM

Post #8548804

One of her grandkids was riding her motorbike into our yard. She was told by several people to not come over here but she did anyways. I put a stop to it yesterday by going out and planting a butterfly bush and a couple cannas. Today she did it again and my dad went over and told her no more. Where she was riding is very slick because there is runoff there plus we run our laundry water down there. She could have gotten hurt. She wasn't going fast or anything but it was too much of a liabilty.

Oh I mailed your cannas the other day too. You should get them tomorrow or Tues I think.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

May 8, 2011
10:35 PM

Post #8548992

Glad to hear the Rose is doing good happ! There might be remnants of the Rose plant left in that hole, it could be back!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 9, 2011
4:50 AM

Post #8549162

@pepper ... oh, I guess I hadn't heard about your neighbor.

YIPPEE on the canna's. I can't wait. And in my birthday week too. That makes it extra special. Won't say thank you, I want them to live ... :-) but YIPPEE!!!!!!!!!!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 9, 2011
5:51 PM

Post #8550871

Crit, I thought I had posted that here in on this thread about my neighbor so that's why I didn't have the early details. lol.

I just bought another climbing rose today. After getting a whiff of it I had to have it. Climbing Peace. LOL. I hope this is the last one I buy at least this year but probably not. I wanted to plant it today but decided to wait because of the heat. The only thing I did outside today was lay mulch around my butterfly bush so no one runs over it.

I think you will have the cannas tomorrow Crit. They are really nice fat cannas so you should be pleased. I can't wait til mine get going. I need some color!!

Had a snake pay a visit yesterday. I thought it was the hose at first til I was almost off the deck then I realized it was a big snake. That sucker was at least 3-4 feet long because it stretched from under my mom's car to almost to where the steps meet the top of the deck. We aren't sure what kind it is though. Never seen one like it before. My dad thinks bull snake but he couldn't find a pic in his book.

Thumbnail by pepper23

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 9, 2011
6:03 PM

Post #8550912

Don't let Fruity see that! lol

I hope you didn't pack any of his friends with the canna's! I really appreciate them, and will watch for the box. Tomorrow is my b'day so that would be cool if they arrived.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

May 9, 2011
6:45 PM

Post #8551050

Yeow! Now that snake would startle somebody! My thing is spiders, yuck! Maybe this will help to identify, maybe the Kingsnake is also a possibility, just a guess. - http://mdc.mo.gov/sites/default/files/resources/2010/05/5187_3026.pdf

Want some fragrance from a distance? Try a Lilac Tree! My Mom has one, I saw it again when I was visiting yesterday. She keeps her windows open because this tree is fragrant like within 100 feet of it! It smells nice! I was working outside and I could smell this tree when I couldn't even see it!

Speaking of Butterfly Bushes, I'll be returning two for a refund, they succumbed over the Winter I'm pretty sure. It didn't get cold enuff for them to go dormant in the garage I guess.
They aren't alone, many plants appear to have died from that. See the 2 stick bushes in the above photo? Those are the Butterfly Bushes, I looked at them again today, no sign of life.
Will
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

May 9, 2011
6:47 PM

Post #8551058

Heres that Lilac tree in full flower. -

Thumbnail by shortleaf

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 9, 2011
7:21 PM

Post #8551161

It might be a kingsnake. Pretty close in markings far as I can tell.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 10, 2011
4:26 AM

Post #8551626

Beautiful lilac Will. I LOVE lilacs. Trouble is, it takes them like 7 years to bloom after you plant them, and they grow slowly. That tree must be really old. So nice for your mom!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

May 10, 2011
8:33 AM

Post #8552075

Glad the hostas are doing good. I just love my shade garden. I have just been filling it up with hostas the last few years. Course in the spring it looks the best because the trees haven't had time to suck out all the moisture...altho I have cracks in the ground I noticed yesterday so I hope we get rain on Wednesday. The picture was taken late in the evening so it is a little blurry.

I wintered over a purple butterfly bush just fine, but the two pinks I bought on sale, don't seem to have any life but I am still watering and hoping...

Tree peonies are blooming, but the hot strong winds are not doing them any favors...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CRIT!!!!!!

Thumbnail by happgarden

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 10, 2011

Post #8553304

Happy Birthday Crit!! Hope the cannas arrived today!!

I hope we get the rain tomorrow so I don't have to water anything. lol. The winds felt good to me today. Helped keep the temps down at work.

Oh, I just bought a tree peony from Henry Fields a few weeks ago and just got it planted. Sugared Silk. I can't wait til it blooms. Won't be til next year but I have it in a good spot so I can't miss it.

This message was edited May 10, 2011 7:29 PM
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

May 10, 2011
6:38 PM

Post #8553495

Pepper, mine were slow to start to bloom, they took a couple of years, but one of the master gardeners his bloomed the very next year...Mine bloom much earlier than the normal peony.

Ok, Will may be coming your direction tomorrw, won't know until tomorrow. My sisters are not good plan makers.
Will let you know when I know...rolf, we might make it yet...

Pond still has a small leak, good grief!

I need some rain.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

May 10, 2011
6:52 PM

Post #8553527

My Mom said she got that Globe Lilac Tree in May of 1997. It was pretty big when she got it, she paid $103 for it then.
She said it bloomed the year after she got it. She loves that tree, she said thanks for the compliments.

Nice shade garden there happ!

My one Canna bulb is either dead or hasn't woke up yet. All my bulbs haven't shown any signs of life yet, my Elephant Ears, Caladiums and that one Canna.
I have started my Wisteria planting! I even have this before photo. -

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

May 10, 2011

Post #8553529

The Red Daylily from Pepper in Oct. 09' is looking good! -

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

May 10, 2011

Post #8553530

Tomorrow would be good happ, come if you can. Here is the Ditchlily from happ, it's quite an unruly clump! lol
Hehe! I love unruly! That Ficus next to it in the photo was just put outside yesterday. It needs attention, it was abused by cats and sat in a window this Winter where it didn't get enuff sunlight, but it's alive. I dumped all the cat poo out of it, so that was at least a start! Boy, carrying that pot outside was a smelly experience!
I really like that variegated Ficus, I'm gonna have to figure something on where to put that plant protected from cats.

This message was edited May 10, 2011 7:55 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 10, 2011
7:15 PM

Post #8553568

ROFL over the stinky ficus!!

Will, I still have a few extra cannas that I have nowhere to plant. I can send them to you. Dark colored leaves, could be Tropicana or similar to Dark Knight. Either way it's pretty!! And they are all in great shape though still dormant.

My elephant ears are still dormant too. No sign of green yet. I need to get the rest planted. I need to get my glads in too though I might just give them to my sister. lol
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

May 10, 2011
7:28 PM

Post #8553593

Sure Pepper, that'd be great! Send them on! Do you still have my addy? But only if you have some to spare, I'll return you the postage. Really, it's okay if it would leave you short-handed on them, I'll understand if you want to hold onto them. If I got them to multiply I'd give you some back. I'm glad to hear you're EE's are still dormant, I'm still waiting for mine too, anytime now, it's plenty warm enuff!
Will
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 10, 2011
7:52 PM

Post #8553645

I'm not sure if I have your addy still or not. I have to dig in my seed bag and look. lol. I threw away alot of envies that I didn't need anymore.

Cybrczch

Cybrczch
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

May 10, 2011
9:15 PM

Post #8553825

High Noon tree peony went from tight buds to this in 2 days of 90 degree days

Thumbnail by Cybrczch

Cybrczch

Cybrczch
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

May 10, 2011
9:16 PM

Post #8553827

Closeup of the flowers

Thumbnail by Cybrczch

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 11, 2011
4:30 AM

Post #8554069

I am too far behind. I'll just read and get caught up.

Will, I will say that my Butterfly Bush is just putting out leaves, so your's should already have had a few.

Aww Critt, HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!!

All the pictures were great!

One perfect day and I mowed. Then it got hot and I puttered. Today, hot with a chance of rain. I think I'll get green beans and cukes planted.

My Fern Peony bloomed!

Thumbnail by billyporter

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

May 11, 2011
2:02 PM

Post #8555230

I looked again at my 2 Butterfly Bushes - no leaves! I'm thinking they are goners too. They are going back for the $14 apiece! I'm kinda wondering, do I get them again or do I get something else with the money?! Well, I could get a chocolate shake from up the street with the money!
You guys have nice Peonies, nice blooms. There is one here, but I think it languishes on blooms because of the shady spot it's in.
I can't believe it's turning cold again at nite! - http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/vacationplanner/tenday/USMO0441 Monday and Sunday nites are 43 and 44° F it says, I hope it changes before then. I just set some houseplants outside yesterday and today!
Yes, Happy Belated birthday, Crit.
I think I'll put down some weed fabric for the Wisteria plants.
I heard it got hot in Nebraska, they said it was hotter there than here for awhile, time for some plants to bloom, very nice photos Cyb.
Will

This message was edited May 12, 2011 10:52 AM
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 11, 2011
4:30 PM

Post #8556287

Thank you E1 for the birthday wishes. I had a nice day. Work was quiet and DH and I spent the evening together.

YES PEPPER!!!!!!!!!!! The box arrived today. With the rain shower we got this afternoon, I should be able to start planting this weekend. I have some I started by seed we will see if they take. I've never done that before, but don't want to put them out too small.

I had planted some hosta in my shade garden out front, and when I went out to check tonight, something had eaten the leaves off at the ground. I saw some roly polies, but I didn't think they were dangerous bugs.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 11, 2011
5:13 PM

Post #8556381

Probably slugs ate your hostas. They attack at night. You have to go out and handpick them or find some sand paper to put under and around your hostas. They get all torn up on sandpaper.

Glad they arrived!! The seeds should germinate as long as you nicked them til the white showed on a spot.

Will, your BB bushes are dead. Mine are already a foot tall in almost full shade.

I don't know if my peonies are blooming yet or not. I haven't looked. lol. I know 2 clematis are blooming. One is Dr. Ruppel and the other one I've had for several years and can't remember the name. lol. My roses also have buds on them. At least 2 do anyways. Queen Elizabeth doesn't for some reason and she wasn't pruned this year.

Finally got all my containers planted today. I almost didn't have enough pots. lol. I ran out of room for lantana so I stuck those in a pot that I stuck my new dappled willow bush in. The pot is big enough and the bush small enough it can share. LOL.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 11, 2011
6:11 PM

Post #8556486

I am guessing the hosta will send up new shoots from the roots? I just planted them.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 11, 2011
6:51 PM

Post #8556557

They should but you will still have slugs eating them.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

May 11, 2011
7:19 PM

Post #8556609

Yeah, I too think them Butterfly Bushes are dead! They are now screaming, "take me back to The Home Depot for a refund"!
Everybody's is growing, except mine! I am envious!
Here they are today, they do indeed look like sticks. They are 'Royal Red' Butterfly Bushes, altho, now they aren't red! -

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

May 11, 2011
7:19 PM

Post #8556610

How about my 'Red Haven' Peach tree that I bought last October already having peaches?! It's a self pollinator which is a good thing, there is limited room in the backyard. I've counted about 18 peaches. -

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 12, 2011
5:12 AM

Post #8557171

Good for you Will.

I thought my BFB's were dead too, because I have others that are looking real good. But yesterday, I noticed new green leaves coming out. Glad I didn't rip them out when I thought about it. :-))

Will have to put some sandpaper around my hosta's. Have never seen any slugs, or their silvery trails, but not taking any chances. I've never had that happen before.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 12, 2011
5:13 AM

Post #8557172

Will, if you really like the BB then I'd get a couple more. Mine only last a few years planted out all year. I have ''Black Knight'' this year. The dwarf ''Nano Blue'' lasted the longest and ''Royal Red'' and ''Attraction'' barely did anything in the year they lived. Attraction went thru some big winds, so I'll give it that. I really wanted to see it bloom tho.

ROTFL! More than one shake :o)

We are to get the same cold nights. Wait till Memorial day. Some years we've had to relight the furnaces.

Crit, I wonder what got your Hostas? Rabbits or slugs?

Pepper, I can't believe you haven't looked, LOL! I have peony buds, but they are a ways from blooming. I try to walk the yard daily with my clipboard so I can record what plants are blooming. That way I don't miss anything :o)

Will, I'm with Pepper, they're dead!

I hope your peaches make it. There is nothing like a peach from your own back yard. It's heaven!

It's cloudy and cool, but it feels wet too. We have a chance of rain till Sunday. So far we've had nothing but a pass over rain that gets the sidewalks and road wet. I don't mind. I still have things to do before we get a soaker. I still need to finish weeding the North Peony. It's still half done :o)
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 12, 2011
5:51 AM

Post #8557236

billy, I'm not really sure what got the hosta's. I haven't put my hair clippings out there yet. I would think if it was a wabbit that they would of eaten the leaves. When I went out the leaves were just laying there like they were wilted, and when I went to stand them up, they were nibbled off at the base. There were about 6 leaves and it got all of them.

The inch of rain we got last night will help out some. We have rain chances this afternoon too. Hopefully my grass seed will sprout and get a good hold before things dry out again.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

May 12, 2011
9:52 AM

Post #8557766

Yes, more than one shake, but not much more, they are $4 apiece, and thats for the regular size, (or smallest one)! I've gotten them pretty regularly over the years, they go up about a dime every 6 mos. They started out at $1.79 about 10 years ago when I started getting them, I don't get them anymore, they are too high.
I'll sometimes get some for my friend and her Mom. My friend likes the large on occasion and the large is nearly 6 dollars! As long as people keep buying them they'll go up and up! In 10 more years they'll be $20 apiece! You should spit it out after the taste buds rejoice tho, because they'll make you feel sick afterward, too rich!

I'll look for 'Black knight' or the dwarf 'Nano Blue'.
I hope my houseplants don't mind sitting in the garage for a couple days!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 12, 2011
10:20 AM

Post #8557844

Dairy Queen shakes are only $1.99 on special for May up here. They top them with whipped cream & a cheery!
I'm being behaved myself & only had 3 so far!

My "gardener" is pulling out seedling trees today. For some reason they came up everywhere last summer.

We hired her to help in the veggie garden, but she is a whiz & gets lots done in a hurry.
She is a retired Navy jet engine mechanic. She is going to fix a hydraulic leak on our tractor next week.

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

May 12, 2011
11:02 AM

Post #8557928

I'm gonna start going to DQ! I'm gonna see if they're on sale here too, theres one not far away. I like whipped cream, peanuts and a cherry!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

May 12, 2011
1:11 PM

Post #8558240

Cybrczch, that is a beautiful peony tree! OMG! Are those pale yellow? Mine is white white with a yellow center. Yours looks huge. Are they sitting ontop of a water fall? That is the prettiest peony tree I have seen...

Billy hope those tornados were no where near you last night...

Hosta's eaten to the ground are usually deer from what I hear. That is their favorite salad bar!! Slugs will eat holes but golly I have never had slugs eat them to the ground...rolly polly eat on the roots mostly least here in good old MO...

Will, I am coming to the conculsions that my sisters don't like me...rofl. They invite me then uninvite me...rofl. Actually one of them had a chance to work so we called it off...sometimes money is thicker than blood especially when you need those paychecks. We are going to try again next week.

Pepper, I had not looked at the forecast, in the 40's monday morning, you gotta be kidding...Glad I don't have anymore out than I do...
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

May 12, 2011
1:55 PM

Post #8558387

Haha! If they ever like you again happ, come ahead! Don't sweat it tho, they're not going anywhere. I put up an arbor for something just like a red Rose vine!

Would deer sever the leaves of Hostas near the ground though, and leave the leaves, maybe the deer got spooked or didn't have time to eat the leaves? One sure way to know is put a cheap camera on them! Remember the one guy that did that to see who was stealing his yellow ribbon repeatedly? It was a squirrel! I got 2 black and white ones, years ago for $39.99 each from Harbor Freight, I've hooked them up temporarily, but never found anything to train them on. They are less than that I see now, on sale. My friend here won't let me put them up, she says thats just paranoia, I'll find a use for them someday! I try to tell her "I tell you, when its dark or you're not home people will mess around!".
I didn't get so good at robbing banks and liquor stores from being a noob! Just kidding!

Yeah, lows in the forties for the next 5 days http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/vacationplanner/tenday/USMO0441 , starting tomorrow nite. Maybe it'll change, hope so.

Here is my Bamboo plants shooting for the sky. I'm gonna mulch them and cover them up better this Summer in preparation for Winter, they die too close to the ground.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

May 12, 2011
3:29 PM

Post #8558601

Heres that Wisteria planting, with about half of the weed fabric down, I ran out of staples. I gotta leave some soil showing because this Fall I plan to throw about 200 Wisteria seeds in there. It's gonna bloom like nobody's business someday!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

May 12, 2011
3:29 PM

Post #8558602

Heres that arbor I was telling about. I plan to have stuff growing up both sides of it eventually.
I couldn't see the screen on the camera, the sun was so bright, it cut off the top of the arbor! That little stream looks harmless enuff, but I tied that arbor down because a heavy rain turns the stream into quite the gusher!

This message was edited May 12, 2011 4:32 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 12, 2011
5:19 PM

Post #8558778

I have both 'Black Knight' and 'Blue Nano'. lol. I also have 'Golden Attraction' and another one that is a smaller one. My 2 BBs in front of the deck never get big and bushy though because they are mostly in shade. But they do bloom for me!! My Blue is in a pot and is twice as big as it was when I got it several weeks ago and Golden is the one I put on my property line. I can't wait til that one blooms!!

Thumbnail by pepper23

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 12, 2011

Post #8558814

Hey check this out!! Talking dog. Very cute!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaatu42
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

May 13, 2011
10:10 AM

Post #8560265

Haha! I wonder how that dog learned English so well?!
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

May 13, 2011
12:41 PM

Post #8560600

In that photo 4 posts up with that arbor over the stream, would anyone have a suggestion on a vines or vines that would tolerate being submerged in rainwater for a day or 2, 2 or 3 times annually?
Thanks
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

May 13, 2011
12:45 PM

Post #8560610

On second thought, maybe the Hall's Honeysuckle, it's kinda a thug, maybe it could do the water trellis job!?
Will
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 13, 2011

Post #8561297

happ ... the hosta's weren't eaten 'to the ground', they were eaten off 'at ground level'. The leaves were still lying there. I thought it was wilted and I went to pull the leaves up so I could put some more dirt around it, and the leaves were loose. Whatever ate them off at the ground, didn't want the rest of the leaf. We have too many dogs running around out here, deer don't come up into the yards. The burro's and horses are around too.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 13, 2011

Post #8561300

Check out this list on Grow Native. Most of these plants can tolerate it since it's similar to what they expereince in the wild.

http://www.grownative.org/plants/plantPickerList.asp
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 13, 2011
7:29 PM

Post #8561564

Great link pepper ...thanks

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 14, 2011
6:13 AM

Post #8562037

Crit, I hope you figure it out. I've never had anything but frost take out a Hosta, so it's interesting. I think they will regrow. Hostas are pretty tough.

Will, even ice cream cones can be expensive! You always love what you can't have often :o)

Bernie, we used to run to Lone Tree because they had the best ice cream. She closed up and now owns the tavern. So, we ran to an A&W and I didn't care for their chocolate. I hate to run too far for ice cream, so it looks like road trips will be our best bet. Meanwhile, we keep a tub in the freezer.

I forgot Muscatine has ''The Cherry Top.'' They come to your window for your order and you roll down your window for the tray. Just like the old days, but not on skates :o)

She, is awesome!

Happ, no storms around us. It's always Tama county, way north of us that get the warnings.

I hear you on rainchecks. The dollar IS more important these days.

Will, I still think rabbits. They have a habit of leaving things lay, but still chewing off the next one, and and the next one, etc.

Smiling over the bank robber. No wonder ''you're good'' even with no job :o)

The bamboo survived at least. The room left in the tub is good to pile leaves into for protection too.

The fence is going to be glorious! Nice privacy too!

I love how you ran the stream thru the arbor. You could widen it a tiny bit later and line a few rocks randomly on each side too.

How is your car doing?

Pepper, my Attraction BF.B. was a cranbery color. Very pretty, but as soon as it bloomed we had big winds that broke the only blooming branch off. It never grew the next year. I'm hoping Black Knight gets big this year. It was a dwarf last year.

The talking dog was the perfect hilarious video! I had tears of laughter from it, then I turned around and showed DH, then the Grandkids wanted to see it. I bookmarked it!

Will, just Google your zone and vines that tolereate wet feet. You might get some good ideas. But not honeysuckle.

Hmmm, looks like the choices are very limited. Gardenweb came up with:
Evergreen vines hardy in zone 5 are limited - very limited. And the situation is complicated by being partially shaded and with poor drainage. English ivy might work, although I hesitate to suggest something that is considered invasive in many parts of the country. If you have space, a mixture of shrubs would be a much better solution, perhaps shrub dogwoods and willows and clethra. The dogwoods and willows would offer winter interest through their stem colors if that's a requirement. Or winterberry.

Thursday, we turned around and the cat almost had a tiny grey squirrel. He's about 6 weeks old and most likely fell out of the nest. We haven't seen any others or the mother yet. I looked away and he disappeared. Later that day, I was putting things away and guess who was over by my flowers? I talked to him and brought him some water, but he followed me to the house when I went for food. DH ended up moving the squirrel feeder platform over to the tree he liked best and them put a top on it. We put leaves and a rag in the corner and found him some peanuts, dried fruit and apple slices. He was easy to pick up, move and be shown how to get in and out. This morning he looks good and is protective of his little house. That's good! We don't need a pet. He's not out of the woods yet. We have red squirrels and cats. If he makes it he does. It's all we can do.
Yesterday he was still stamping his feet at us as we looked in, so we are using tongs to set food in and arrange his rags :o)

He appears to be spoiled and loves his house.

Thumbnail by billyporter

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 14, 2011
6:13 AM

Post #8562040

Now a picture of him.

Thumbnail by billyporter

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

May 14, 2011
10:45 AM

Post #8562434

Awww.. you made the little squirrel a house, thats cute! I hope he or she stays in it awhile, he or she seems to like it. I better go with he or she! Hehe!

What a coincidence that you got a post from Garden gal on Garden Web. I got in a "not-so-nice discussion" with her on there a while ago and I felt bad for being such a jerk with her, nothing terrible, but it was pretty ugly. Garden gal if you're out there, I'm sorry! : ) - http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/vines/msg1117385226320.html There's that post you found billyp, maybe the English Ivy will work after-all.

Well, here is the 2 Butterfly Bushes going to be on they're way back to the store soon.
Will

This message was edited May 14, 2011 5:47 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 14, 2011
11:59 AM

Post #8562519

My wife worked at an A&W drive in for 16 years. When she started,(junior in HS), they would come to the car & take your order. Later they installed intercoms, but still brought the food to the car.
I stopped by there a lot & never knew her. She graduated in 1963 & we met in 1970 at a different place.
She was a cook there when we started dating. The owners are still good friends of ours.
They quit A&W long ago, but still ran it as a drive in. They retired & sold the property over 10 years ago.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 14, 2011
3:14 PM

Post #8562804

What a lucky little squirrel he/she is! That is adorable.

I was unloading groceries and my dog kept jumping at some leaves that were against the rock around my iris bed. I went over there and didn't see anything. Figured it was either a frog or a snake but since I couldn't find it I suspected a frog. She backed off when I walked over there, so I sicked her on whatever was there. She went after it again andn left it pulled out a baby snake. She'd grab it and drop it, then do it again. Then she picked it up and shook it so hard I though it came in two, but it didn't. She finished killing it off then left it. It was kind of brown, probably harmless but if they are where I work around, they get killed. A good snake is a dead snake if it is where I can see it. :-)
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

May 14, 2011
4:47 PM

Post #8562980

Oh, billyp, that new/used car of mine is still running! I think the car dealer guy had just enuff freon put in to last a couple of weeks, it's now blowing not so cold air.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 14, 2011
7:57 PM

Post #8563298

Will, be careful with the ivy. It can get invasive even here and is hard to kill.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 15, 2011
6:15 AM

Post #8563808

Will, I find it easier to call everything ''he'' :o)

I only got her thru Google. I've never liked GardenWeb so never did more than look in on a Googled item.

I've never been an ivy fan myself, but when you need a plant, and there are so few...

Get your money! Are you going to try them again?

Bernie, that's a neat little story!

Crit, thanks :o) I fixed him a breakfast of walnuts, almonds, peanuts, carrots and apple slices.

I wouldn't want to stick in my hand a nd pull out a snake with weeds either.

Will, at least it runs. You can always use the 4 and 40 method. Four windows down and forty miles an hour, to cool off :o)

Now you have to go to the dealer for freon don't you? I don't think they sell cans of it anymore.

Another good day to stay in. Cold, rainy and breezy. The rest of the month is going to be cool :o(
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

May 15, 2011
10:10 AM

Post #8564294

I don't think I have to go to a dealer, but I'll probably have to go to a shady auto repair place now to get freon, I hope the ac system doesn't leak or something now.
We once bought a flat of little English Ivy pots and they all died. We might try them again. I think we could keep them reigned in back there, they'd be by themselves.

Try them again? I doubt it. Actually, the Butterfly Bushes weren't our choices here, my friend's Sister from Va. got them and brought them home from a shopping trip when she was here last Summer.
I like BB bushes but I don't know if we can have a spot for them right now and keep them alive over the Winter. But, if I had to do it over again, I wouldn't try to over-winter them in the garage, I'd just leave them outside.
Haha! 4 and 40! I've done that before, I gotta tell you, not really a fan! I'm 43 years old, I need/want air conditioning now! lol
Cold, rainy and breezy is what it is here too!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 15, 2011
6:27 PM

Post #8565507

Will, I leave mine out in the ground year round.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 15, 2011
6:53 PM

Post #8565569

So do I. They are hardy and can handle our weather.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

May 16, 2011
7:17 AM

Post #8566435

I have butterfly bushes the purple and most years do fine. I think this year I lost one, funny thing I bought 4 at the end of the year, 2 purple and 2 pink and wintered them over in the "fort" with the rest of the plants. The 2 purple are fine but the 2 pinks are dead...so I am guessing the pinks won't make it at my house, I have enough trouble with the purples in the ground.

Wouldn't you know sun on Monday...oh well. Our plant sale is Saturday so I need sunshine then. Boy do we have some beautiful plants for the sale. My strawberries I am donating have berries on them and should start changing by the weekend, that should be worth something right? rofl. We have a new member and she brought some of the most beautiful plants! A bunch of red mums that are beautiful, bunch of beautiful siberian iris, heck I can't remember them all...lots of beautiful iris, hostas, daylilies, lilies, native grasses, boy you name it, it is there.

Hey Will do you want some yellow water iris? I have left these things on the waterfall with the roots exposed all winter and they make it...talk about hardy! Oh yeah without the pump running.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

May 16, 2011
7:42 AM

Post #8566510

Billy I meant to tell you how I love that ferny peony, I am going to have to get one of those.
I don't know if I posted one of these pics or not but the hosta bed is really coming together, I am going to have to start watering tho, cause the ground is really getting dry from the tree.

This is the dry creek bed that sometimes has water if there is enough rain. See the little mini hostas, they are so cute and never get any bigger than that.

Thumbnail by happgarden

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

May 16, 2011
7:46 AM

Post #8566536

Here is another direction.

Thumbnail by happgarden

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

May 16, 2011
7:51 AM

Post #8566561

Ok, this is the last I will post. The hammock isn't up yet, but in the heat of the summer there are many a naps taken on it, if you can imagne this my DH and basset hounds up on the hammock napping together. The rest of the dogs underneath the hammock sleeping. I love to read in the swing later in the summer, which is my favorite spot. I have had that sum & substance forever, probably one of the first plants I bought. Can't plant anything under the hammock cause DH and the dogs walk all over them, hench lots of mulch will go down as soon as I get with it.

Thumbnail by happgarden

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 16, 2011
9:37 AM

Post #8566864

I have one of those that was here when we moved here. I never knew what it was! I have divided it and made 3 or 4 more plants from it. It is soooo pretty.

What's with the chain in the first pic? Does that one try to get away? :-)
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

May 16, 2011
11:48 AM

Post #8567162

Haha! If you look close at that chained Hosta you can see the little legs! It's the cultivar Hostaceae 'running bandit'!
Yeah, I also thought how uniquely neat that Fern peony is. Yeah, I was really starting to like the Butterfly Bush! On second thought, I might get another one. But, you know how it is when money is burning a hole in you're pocket! I'm apt to buy some plant that s catching my eye at the moment!
Sure happ, I'd love to have some Yellow Water Iris! We bought some water plants last year but they are in the dead group of plants now. I grew some Thornless Honey locust from seed this year and it appears 3 have sprouted so far, can I interest you in one happ? These remain thornless as far as I've seen, I've grown them before. They are thornless, but they still have the seed-pods. I always did like the Honeylocust, even with thorns! I like the little leaflets, and how they need no raking. Altho, I'm not really a fan of the seed-pods, but at least I know they are seeds and where to get them and at what time of year, and that they readily sprout to make more. Also, there are Mimosa seedlings sprouting up all over from Mimosa trees here.
See the 3 little Thornless Honeylocusts in this photo? Oh, we love lots of photos, happ! I post a few myself! The more photos the better! You're Hostas and stuff gives me an idea how to do all mine in pots someday, really, thanks for the photos happ. I'm always appreciative when people share the designs and plants of they're own, it gives me ideas how to do my stuff. I have 3 Sum and Substances myself, I hope mine get big and old! I stocked up quite a bit last year on Hostas, now I have a bunch in pots that need planting. I bought every 'Blue Angel' Hosta The Home Depot had left in Oct. when they were cheap.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 16, 2011
5:19 PM

Post #8567844

We have rain coming in Thursday and it will be around off and on thru Monday. Either way on Sunday a friend and I are going to Commanche Iris Farm. lol.

My butterfly bushes do good here. I don't know why. I never do anything for them. LOL. I have a pink, purple, blue and yellow now. Any more come my way they are going to one of you guys. lol. I have minature hydrangas coming here pretty quick that I have to make room for. Those I can't wait to get.

Happ, what is that big hosta in front of the rock in your first pic? I'm looking for couple biggies like that one for my new shade bed that I will be making.

Thumbnail by pepper23

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 16, 2011
5:59 PM

Post #8567934

I've never heard of a yellow one pepper. That's cool

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 17, 2011
6:08 AM

Post #8568850

Will, either way, you'll need that AC! LOL! we grew up with the heat and we do the AC too!

To each his own. I can't wait to see what you chose instead of a BB.

Happ, I cut mine back to 6'' like they suggest, but they always grow from about the bottom 2''. Mine never last more than a few years and I don't know why. I'm zone 5a too. They should be hardy enough.

I hope you have nice weather for the plant sale. It sounds like plants people won't be able to pass up.

Thanks on the fern peonies. I'm trying to build my little collection up so I can spread them all over. They are so early, and so deeply, bright red.

Awww on the tiny hostas!! I have a small one called Just So.

Awwww again, I love the dog too!

ROTFL!!! You have to sneak out and get a shot of DH and all those dogs! I can see why you like to sit, and sleep out there. Love the Sum and Substance!

Crit, ROTFL over the chain!!

Will, ROTFL again!! That's a good one!

I think a honey locust is pretty too. They grow like weeds around here. (The thorned ones.)

All your potted plants look good!

Pepper, that iris is gorgeous!!

Oh dear, I'm afraid to see how many iris I would come home with.

Is the yellow called Honeycomb? If so, it's zone 6 and not hardy here, but I sure like it! You'll have to post pictures of each as they bloom!

A better day today with sun and the wind dying down. I'm going to fertilize the iris today. I never have. Maybe I'll get better color and growth. I'm going to try epsom salts.

My repotted tomatoes. Some will be shared with my Dad, but I'll plant most of them so I can can juice.

Thumbnail by billyporter

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

May 17, 2011
6:55 AM

Post #8568927

Hello I just drop the note:

I has this iris from 2007 IACR Round Up and It final came out as yesterday for 4 yrs to bloom so I did plant it in pot for 4 yrs...
I label it and it said "Iris iacrru Cherubs med. royal blue" So, I took this yesterday and today but got full bloom this early am and nice color

I has been doing go to fishing again last week with the boat (boat from my step son)... I sit on boat seat and sure caught alot of white hybrid bass (9 was on hooks and guy did hook wrong that under the bass's mouth so I put thru the bass's grill to hold good so lost 6 fish that my step son drove too fast that happen hooks was on the boat on left side so I only has 3 good bass..) I had good time for boat and fishing!

Cherubs

Thumbnail by JuJu55

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 17, 2011
8:25 AM

Post #8569093

billy, would you explain more about fertilizing iris with Epsom Salts?????
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

May 17, 2011
9:02 AM

Post #8569145

Crit you are such a goof ball, you crack me up, no that chain is for swinging thru the jungle later in the summer, after a few cold summer drinks...rofl.

Will, I love that blue angel, that is what is in the second photo above. I have taken lots of starts off of it and back by my water facuet it has gone nuts, and is huge!

This photo shows the mini hostas a little better. I don't know how they survive they are so small and such tiny roots but they are doing really well.

My favorite hosta is in this photo besides the concrete rabbit. It stand really tall and want to find some more varieties like that. Edited to say Billy is that the hosta you are talking about earlier?

Crit your problem with the hosta still has be preplexed...bet someone on the hosta forum can help you tho.

This message was edited May 17, 2011 10:16 AM

Thumbnail by happgarden

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 17, 2011
9:08 AM

Post #8569157

I got my Irish Spring out to see if it is wabbits and that makes it stop. If not, it may be the slugs.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

May 17, 2011
9:24 AM

Post #8569197

Rusty, how the heck are you? Dang losing that many fish would be awful. I love eating bass! Sounds like you had a great time tho. 4 years for that iris to bloom wowzer, that is a long time. I heard from someone the bloom is determined by the size of the rhizone, but I am not so sure of that. I probably would of lost the tag by now or forgot about it. Sure is pretty.

Pepper, the iris are just really getting into full bloom up here by comanche acres. So far we haven't had any rain so the blooms (short of the winds) should be in good shape. Mine are just going crazy blooming!

Billy, my tomatoes are about the size of the two idiy bity ones of yours...rofl. I started 3 really odd tomatoes. I will have to look up the names and tell you. I did buy DH 2 normal tomatoes...rofl.

So they think it is slugs eating the leaves completely off? I have had horrible slug damage before but the leaves just became holey. Gave up on beer the dog drank it faster than I could pour it. Actually in the big hosta garden I don't have slug problems it is only around the strip that has the water faucet...

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 17, 2011
12:07 PM

Post #8569512

Not definately determined slugs. Still not sure about it. I haven't seen any when I moved rocks around or anything. It isn't a damp area. We'll see if it continues after putting the Irish Spring by them.

Look at my pretty Amarylis. This is the only one that has bloomed out of 6 or 8. None bloomed last year. There is another bloom on the other side.

Thumbnail by Crit

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

May 17, 2011
12:20 PM

Post #8569538

Wowzer, that is beautiful. Mine didn't bloom all winter but did start this spring without my consent! If I would of known they were going to do that I would of put them out where they had room and I could of seen them...
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

May 17, 2011
3:32 PM

Post #8569893

Well, I am trying yellow Marigolds for that RadioFlyer wagon in the backyard! I figured they're hardy and they have alot of seeds for the next year. I took a photo of it if anyone would like to see it. -

If my Habanero Peppers come up I think I'm gonna try this homemade remedy they have and maybe someone would be willing to try it. - http://hortchat.com/info/category/a-z-plants/deer-perennials

Hi Rusty! Thats a pretty Iris there. Losing fish stinks, I remember years ago, I had a nice bass on the stringer after I'd caught it, and I pulled it in to get it and leave and it had been eaten! I saw a big snapping turtle swim away right before that! All that was left was my fish's head! Oh, I was sick!

I too love the 'Blue Angel' Hosta, speaking of them, I planted 2 of them today. I might be digging one of them out someday if they get too big and crowded together.
I'll insert a photo of my new additions below.

Does anyone know if a Strawberry plant would climb an arbor like the one above? How about Cucumbers? And would they tolerate that 2 or 3 times annually being submerged in rainwater for maybe a day (or less) each time? I'm kinda thinking there isn't any vine that would like being submerged, but I'd like to try something anyway.

Happ, did you get starts from dividing the 'Blue Angel'? I'd like to do that someday to mine, but mine are too small right now.

My favorite right now would prolly be my 'Francee' or 'Patriot' Hostas. I like all Hostas, its hard to have a favorite!

Instead of getting more Butterfly Bushes, I got Marigolds! Actually, I still might get Butterfly Bushes, I have about $26 left on the store credit card thing.
Thanks billyp, you're Tomato plants are coming along nicely there. The Marigolds were only 99 cents a 6 pack, I got 2 - 6 packs. I might need to get some Raspberry plants to go with our Blackberries, Blueberries, Peaches and Plums. I'm digging fruiting plants! I started some Dwarf Pomegranates from seeds so maybe I can have one in a pot someday!

Thats a pretty Amarylis, Crit.

Will

This message was edited May 17, 2011 4:35 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

May 17, 2011
3:32 PM

Post #8569895

Here is the 2 'Blue Angel's I planted today! They are next to 3 'Halcyon's, maybe someday they will form a sort of hedge or solid line of blue Hostas is the plan kinda.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 17, 2011
5:29 PM

Post #8570136

Will,
I do know that you can plant vining plants like cucumbers, canteloupe, etc on a trellis, but since the strawberries need to be in dirt to root, I don't know if you could do those or not. Can't tell you about the water issue though
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 17, 2011
6:08 PM

Post #8570306

Cukes amd other fruiting vines love trellises so they should work there. Since they love water I don't think that being sumerged for a day or two max every now and then would hurt them. You will just have to try it and see. There is a little melon that would work perfect for that situation that you could experiment with. Only problem is I can't remember it's name. I remember it's french. lol. And it's skin is a dark green.

Oh and since you have all those fruit bushes you should try Gooseberry. I have 2 left at work unless someone got them already. They taste great when you make a gooseberry cake. If you prefer more tart, pie is the way to go. lol

Happ, that's good to know about Commanche. I was hoping to catch it in it's glory.

Hi Rusty!! Gorgeous iris!!!

Dappled Japanese Willow in the middle with lantana around the sides.

Thumbnail by pepper23

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 18, 2011
6:07 AM

Post #8571122

Rusty, I was thinking about you yesterday. I'm glad to hear from you!

Oh my gosh! It was worth the wait! How beautiful!!

I love your fish story of those that got away, but Grrr on losing them!! At least you had a great time!

Crit, I've been reading how it's good for roses, so I finally Googled a recipe. It's 1 Tablespoon to 1 gallon of water. Use hot water to dissolve them. Then water when it cools. I'm not sure how much water per plant. It didn't say. Back to Google! I think you can use it on anything, It's magnesium and the bloom colors are supposed to be better. I got them out and found a gallon jug, and that's as far as I got yesterday, LOL!

Happ, ROTFL! That is some chain!!

It might be, but I do love all your Hostas. Especially the one that holds itself up!

Crit, smiling over the soap. I hope something works!

Happ, I wated almost that long for Mother earth and a couple others to get back to size after being divided. Mother Earth needs dividing this year.

Smiling over your tomatoes. I started mine late this year and It will be way into June before I even plant them out. I just repotted the peppers yesterday. Boy did I sow a lot of peppers!

ROTFL&L over the dog and the beer!!

Crit, what a beautiful amaryllis!! Don't give up hope on the rest. Critter has an article to help keep them.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/468/

Will, those sound great for the wagon!!

I've never tried the hot pepper recipe. Mostly because nothing much bothers my plants.

Nothing worse than losing a fish to a turtle :o)

I don't think there is a ''wet''vine either. Maybe the arbor can be moved back out of the water and use small water loving plants or shriubs where it was.

$26.00 will get you something nice. Shop around!

I wish I had room to plant a lot of fruits :o(

Keep posting as the wagon fills in. I think they are perect in there!

I think I'd space the hostas a good three feet if not four, while they are still small. They don't look good crowded. They look good planted there tho!

Pepper, laughing over the mysterious melon!

The pink gooseberries are sweeter than the old timey green too. Good for eating off the bush.

Is the willow an annual? Love the lantana!

The sun just went under. I'm going to get a ginormous fan and aim it at the sky! Grumble grumble clouds!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

May 18, 2011
12:38 PM

Post #8571917

Will I have divded all my hostas at one time or another. Either for myself or the plant sale or a swap.
See where you have a gap between the stalks in your picture? If you wash all the dirt off the roots you will see exactly where you can cut and get roots on both groups. You can divide a hosta and it doesn't faze them at all. I dug up my big blue and put it in 3 seperate pots and nothing no wilt no yellow no nothing. They are tough. I can tell you as close as you have them by the end of the summer you will have a mass of hostas there. I attached a photo of your hosta to show where a good place to cut is. Most of the time I just take a shovel to them to get cuttings, cause I don't want to dig up the whole thing.

Love the wagon, it will be so cute by the end of the summer.

Thought it was going to rain today but looks awfully clear now.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 18, 2011
4:22 PM

Post #8572366

We are finally getting our "April Showers". We have 40% chance tomorrow, Friday 80%, then 20%-40% through next week. If we could get a little rain everyday and some cloud cover so it doesn't just evaporate, my plants and new grass will do GREAT. Just what the plant Dr. ordered! :-)
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

May 18, 2011
7:10 PM

Post #8572762

How about my newest acquisitions for the desert terrarium I am making out of an old 10 gallon aquarium? Thanks you guys, that would be neat if that wagon was all filled in with yellow Marigolds this year. How about those rocks I put in there on top for a different look?! That wagon is all rusted out, it's about to fall apart, it prolly will someday soon, with the mud and weight in it now. But, theres another one here, still in the box and I've been given the go-ahead to fill it full of flowers and stuff. I'm gonna line it with plastic and put Coleus or something in it. I'd be glad to post photos of them as time goes on.

Well, on second thought, I should prolly try a vine that won't need to be planted every year, I think Cukes and Melons will. But, how neat would that be, having Cukes or Melons in the backyard to add to a salad?!

Gooseberry eh? I heard they were good!

In retrospect, I think those blue Hostas are going to get too close, thanks. I think I'll take out the 'Blue Angel' thats on the right in that photo and a 'Halcyon' there, they are already crowding, now that I look at the lot. I think I have a new spot for a 'Blue Angel' and a 'Halcyon', under the back-porch steps.

A ginormous fan huh? Did you know ginormous is a word in the dictionary now? - http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ginormous

Thanks happ, I was wondering about that gap myself, like maybe it's 2 Hostas. Thanks tho, I know where I'll be dividing that one someday! Good to hear they are so resilient.

Actually, it's only $21 left of store credit, I guessed wrong. I will prolly need to get a Butterfly Bush or 2 so we don't have to tell her Sister that her bushes died!

Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

May 18, 2011
7:11 PM

Post #8572764

Would anybody like to take a stab at something here? I have a predicament I think. I think I have a weed in this pot, posing as the Echinacea, I'm not sure.
This one in here thats funny has serrated leaves and the Coneflower doesn't, but everything is pretty similar otherwise. Is it safe to assume that I can pull that loathsome oddball outta there? Sorry about part of the photo being blurry, it was the lens, I wiped it off after those photos.

Thumbnail by shortleaf

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 18, 2011
7:30 PM

Post #8572818

Is the stem kinda thorny for lack of better word? It looks like a weed that I always find with my new potted plants but it does look similar to coneflowers. lol
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 19, 2011
4:40 AM

Post #8573249

Don't know about coneflower, but the leaves look kind of like shasta daisy leaves. Yes, if the stem is prickly, I'd say it's a weed.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

May 19, 2011
12:52 PM

Post #8574130

Thanks, I had a glance at the Coneflowers today, (it was raining), I didn't see any thorns on the stem. I know it's Purple Coneflower because it's a seed packet that I started last year. I'm tempted to leave that weedy looking thing tho. What if it turned out to be Daisy flowers or some nice flower, how cool would that be? It could have thorns yet, I was only able to get a pretty quick look at like a 2 inch section of stem, but it was smooth.

I took a photo of the Pyracantha 'Gnome' here and it has these little off-white flowers. My friend will be thrilled, she has been waiting for them to get berries or something. Does anyone know, might the flowers be the pre-cursor to getting berries? The photo is below, sorry it's kinda cheesy, the color tint is messed up or something.

Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

May 19, 2011
3:31 PM

Post #8574370

Thanks Pepper! A big ol' Lipton Tea box came about an hour ago in the mail! I bet thats Canna bulbs! I'm real glad to get them! I'll get the postage to you soon. I'm gonna get those potted up soon too! I think I'll plant them in a big, long planter I made outta scrap wood! At first I thought they were something else that I'm expecting, just a couple books I couldn't resist from a paid programming show. I thought, "wow, they pack books in Lipton Tea boxes, thats odd". Then, I looked closer and then it hit me what it was! The books also came today, I haven't opened them yet. I'll post photos of the Cannas after they take off in the tropical spot I plan! : )
Thanks, Will
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 19, 2011
5:47 PM

Post #8574610

LOL. It was the only box I had that would work. I didn't want to drive to the post office, come back home, then go back again. They will take off here pretty soon. They are already trying to shoot out leaves.

Well, I decided to buy the last 2 fruit bushes that we had left at work today. It turns out one is Gooseberry and one is Rasberry. We also had Blackberry at one point but they were thornless and the Rasberry isn't. Plus it has berries on it. Now I just have to find a spot for them. lol. I might give them to a friend or my grandma.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

May 19, 2011
5:54 PM

Post #8574624

I got those Cannas potted up, they are some nice ones. I might leave them potted for awhile so I can see what color flowers in which ones, so I might stagger them permanently later. The berry plants you got sound nice, Pepper. A Lipton Tea box does indeed work!
Here they are potted up. -
Thanks Pepper, Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 19, 2011
5:56 PM

Post #8574625

They are all the same color. Dark leaves is what I remember. I thought originally they were Tropicanna but they might be Dark Knight. A friend dug them up for me because I liked them and she had too many. lol. I kept a few and have given the rest away.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

May 19, 2011
6:05 PM

Post #8574645

The postage is in the mail tonite.
Thanks again, Will
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

May 20, 2011
9:03 PM

Post #8576850

Well, I got the Butterfly Bush replacements! I couldn't find a Butterfly Bush, I got 2 Raspberry plants for $9.98 each instead! I was kinda leaning toward something with fruit. I got a long line in the backyard of Blackberry plants and Blueberry plants, but some of the Blackberry plants died, so I plan on filling in the gaps with Raspberry plants.

Here is a closer shot of that unknown, maybe weedy, plant in my Coneflower pot that I got that day. -

'Dark Knight' or 'Tropicanna' eh? I had a 'Tropicanna' years ago, but I left the pot outside over the Winter and it died.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 21, 2011
5:25 PM

Post #8578202

The serrated leafed plant looks like a weed to me. I've seen that one before. Got your postage too. Yesterday I think it was. lol.

I hope those of you in the path of the storms are taking shelter and staying safe!!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 21, 2011
5:26 PM

Post #8578206

Oh, I bought the last 2 fruit bushes we had at work the other day. One looks like it might be Rasberry and the other one is for sure Gooseberry. The Rasberry has fruit forming already. I need to get them out of the truck and planted somewhere.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 22, 2011
7:06 AM

Post #8579185

Happ, I love how Hostas provide a dividing spot :o)

Crit, that's how our rain chances have been, but a lot spottier. We actually got 4/10'' last night, after DH watered yesterday.

Will, ROTFL!!! I copped ginormous from the Grandkids!!

I looked right past the rocks in the wagon, LOL! I was busy envisioning it all filled in with blooms.

Love the new terrarium plants. I'll be interested in how the living stones do. They're pretty neat!

Ut oh, sister's butterfly bushes. I think I'd replace them! Any money left over, should go for a mini rose :o)

Agreed it's a weed. Not sure what, but I've seen it here too. Snip it off or separate it when you plant the coneflowers.

Pepper, Lipton Tea, I've switched to it to use in the hot tea pot, and now the sun tea jar. It's really got a better brewed taste than Louizianne. I'll reuse any box that's sturdy :o)

Give the bushes to someone you visit so you can graze, LOL!

Dad's here.

Have a great day all!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 22, 2011
1:28 PM

Post #8579857

Tornados in the area, right now Mayview which is east of me. We just had it north of us a bit. I'm keeping eye on weather in case we gotta bolt.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

May 22, 2011
1:33 PM

Post #8579871

Today pepper? It is clear here! Gonna go turn on the tv.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 22, 2011
1:40 PM

Post #8579891

Yep. Going on now. I'm in the clear til the next storm. It was clear and hot when I was up there earlier today. Almost too hot. lol

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

May 22, 2011
1:41 PM

Post #8579894

Wowzer had no idea all that is going on.
Looks like more are headed your way. It has cooled off here, so you must be where the hot and cool air are crashing together. Take care.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 22, 2011
1:57 PM

Post #8579929

Will do.

Cybrczch

Cybrczch
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

May 22, 2011
2:08 PM

Post #8579968

Picked my first green onions today (started seed, the things looked so pitifully small until recently), and my first kohlrabi - it didn't even make it into the house LOL it tasted sooooooo yummy sweet. I've got strawberries starting to turn and I haven't got the cage to keep the birdies out of them finished yet. Between the rabbits, squirrels and birds, I've lost my swiss chard, a bunch of beets, lettuce and spinach, and a quarter of my cauliflower and broccoli plants. Still getting enough lettuce and spinach for salads (now with green onion seasoning LOL), Hail beat my cucumber starts and my tomato plants a bit the other day, and still haven't got my peppers in. Beans - sigh - only about a dozen seeds came up from 2 different packets.
On the good side, a friend of mine who bought a "fixer-upper" has a big garden spot he can't get to this year - I've put in sweet corn and melons. That makes 3 gardens for me this year.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2011
4:25 PM

Post #8580230

It's 93 here today with a heat index of 98*. Umph! Winter into summer... hate that!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 22, 2011
4:36 PM

Post #8580242

We got into the mid 80s. Humid too.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2011
5:11 PM

Post #8580300

Oh ya, the humidity is awful!!!!!!!!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 22, 2011
7:17 PM

Post #8580627

Joplin got hit hard. 24 people dead. I hope Rusty is ok!!!
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

May 22, 2011
11:33 PM

Post #8580947

Yes, they sure did. One reporter guy said the southern 1/3 of Joplin was demolished. According to somebody, the tornado was 1 mile wide at the base and it was on the ground for 7 or 8 miles, and likely an EF4 or possibly the strongest EF5 rating, it sounds like quite a vicious storm in any case. Yes, I hope she is alright too, maybe she'll come on here and tell us if she can. Thats the first number of fatalities I've heard, they said for sure there was alot. A hospital there had it's top 2 floors removed.

Yes, aren't Living Stones something? The little picture that shows them cut in half is crazy! The funny thing about those little "miniature" cactuses and stuff they sell, is you don't really know how big they get. How would you know if they're really an appropriate mature size for a desert terrarium, they don't say?!
Will
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

May 23, 2011
6:04 AM

Post #8581364

Death count is climbing, sure hope we don't know anyone down there. I travel thru there alot going to Tulsa for work.
After I figured out the storms weren't going by pepper I didn't look at the tv again and was shocked this morning when I heard on the radio about Joplin...so sad and scary.
ImaMes
Camdenton, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2011
7:37 AM

Post #8581622

Hi, all! Just jumped on quickly to ask if anyone has heard from Rusty. I don't know if she lives in Joplin, but it's bad there. The news this morning was that 75% of the town is destroyed, 86 people are dead and there may be more - they're still searching.

My back flared up a few weeks ago and I haven't been able to sit for very long, so haven't been on the computer much. But I do owe a couple of you a reply.

Billy - Your flower bed with the rocks is really nice. We were supposed to go to Iowa this past weekend and I was going to bring you a couple more cool rocks (if you wanted them), but I was unable to travel. Missed my grandson's 5th birthday. :-(

Crit - Yes, my oakleaf hydrangea is planted outside. Here's a picture of it from last year right before it bloomed.

Thumbnail by ImaMes

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

May 23, 2011
7:52 AM

Post #8581664

Hi Ima, good to hear from you. Sorry about your back. I know at one time Rusty was going to move but I think the last time I heard from her she had not. I will try to find her email.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 23, 2011
9:28 AM

Post #8581863

Cybrczch, you really have hungry critters, but congrats for what you did get! I'm still waiting.

Three gardens and the enthusiasm made me laugh, but in reality I'm envious of the corn and melons!

Will, I think the ''stones'' are the right size. The rest too. I've not done much with succulents to know :o)

Happ, I'm sitting here with a heavy heart over the damage and am praying hard that Rusty and her dogs are OK. What devistation!

ImaMes, I love those rocks! Drop off whatever you like. I can use them :o)

I hope your back isn't a long term proble. I do seem to remember you talking about it before tho. I hope it heals itself fast. A person needs their back and their knees most!

Awww 5 years old. I'm sure he missed you much, but I'm sure he had a wonderful birthday!

I can't wait till my little Oakleaf gets taller. I'm almost ready to take the full cage off and set coated chicken wire around it. Today may be a good day. It might shoot up and I won't get it off, eek!

It's such a nice size in your picture.

Happ, I hope someone hears from her.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

May 23, 2011
9:43 AM

Post #8581892

Well, I am alive and what going on in my town and I was so shock that hospital gone, Wal Mart, Academy, Home Depot, and some others homes, too!

I has no power for 12 hours and final my stepson stop by to check on me and I was so alive and calm... So I was stay home...

Here's what the barn shed blew into my yard & house's garage so no damages just little messy around here and I was just about a mile where the tornado hit...

Thumbnail by JuJu55

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 23, 2011
10:28 AM

Post #8582004

I'm glad you had someone to check and make sure you were ok. The shed blowing in would have had my heart in my mouth!

Hugs to you and your stepson!
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2011
12:49 PM

Post #8582297

Yes, glad to hear from you, Rusty. They said much of Joplin can't have basements because of the rocky ground or something. I'm sure there is other factors too,
why people would be vulnerable in a situation like that. Yes, even a shed blowing in like that would startle me too and have me looking around!
Yeah, kudos to the stepson, how important that coulda been to have someone check like that. Altho, I bet the people in Joplin knew pretty much where the tornado hit, in what part of town. I know Rusty isn't you're real name. We're glad Rusty the dog and Juju are okay too! You're a nice lady, you traveled a long way to come to our Fall RU in 09'.

Glad to hear from you Ima, hope you're back gets to feeling better.

I'm gonna rip that weed outta there, Coneflowers only!

Glad to hear the postage got there okay, Pepper. I couldn't get that many Cannas for that anywhere I'm sure, glad to have them, of any color.

Will
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

May 23, 2011
2:45 PM

Post #8582552

Oh Rusty, thank you thank you for checking in. I know we aren't your top priority but we were sure concerned about you. I imagine when it was going on it was terrifying, even after and seen what could of happened, your life will be turned upside down for sometime because of living in the area for sure. Oh I am so glad you are ok...
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2011
6:10 PM

Post #8582949

Thanks Rusty for checking in!! We were extremely worried about you. I had no way to contact you since the info I have is probably out of date. Being a mile from the tornado and you having mimimal damage is a miracle really.

I can rest east now. Whew!!

Hi Ima!! Hope you back gets to feeling better!!

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 24, 2011
4:36 AM

Post #8583740

We are a couple of hours (?) from Joplin. Our news continues to carry live coverage from there. Last I heard was 116 dead, 1/3 of the town destroyed. Lots of people from this area and from my home town where my kids/grandkids still live have medical units going there to help out. I was in one tornado about 30 years ago. Didn't affect my house but destroyed my friends house, where we were in the basement. More chances of severe storms here again today, then it should clear out for a few days at least.

Glad you are OK Rusty

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 24, 2011
4:43 AM

Post #8583744

It's a beautiful morning here and I am grateful. The boys are making a bit of noise so they will be up soon. I think Grandpa wore them out, while I got to visit with their Mom :o)

Ima, your Iris "So Fine" bloomed and I was so taken with it! It's beautiful!! So far the other two are growing and at least "Total Recall" will bloom, if not Superstition too. I can't wait!

I hope everyone has a great day!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 24, 2011
4:45 AM

Post #8583747

Crit, I can't imagine how long it will take to clean up. It's wonderful that people are going to help. They need it.

You were in the basement? Oh my! I'd be scared to death!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 24, 2011
12:14 PM

Post #8584586

Yes, I was. Never heard the 'roar of a train' like they talk about. As I was driving from picking up my son, the clouds were beginning to swirl overhead. I just floored the gas to get to her house! I had just gotten in the basement when a bunch of dirt came in the basement screen. That was when the tree landed on my pickup. We thought it was over and went up to see it pick up the double wide across the pasture and disintegrate it. Such force! Her house was still 'standing' but totaled. In the bedroom where she had her uniforms hanging on the back of the door, the waistband was in the bedroom and the legs in the living room, where it had raised the roof and sucked them through. Now THAT was weird to see. Pulled the bay window away from t he house, but just a few steps into the kitchen (which was directly above the basement we were in) the newspaper was still on the table and her wedding goblets on the open shelves on each side of the sink. That is the only room that wasn't touched. God watched out for us, but took to heaven a wheelchair bound man that lived in the double wide.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

May 24, 2011
1:40 PM

Post #8584706

Eeeek Crit, those are indeed some bad memories, poor guy in the wheelchair too.
They played a recording on a cellphone from someone who had gathered with others in the cooler of a convenience store in Joplin as the tornado tore up the store, it sounded terrifying, nobody hurt there. It sounded like it lasted longer than a few seconds like they say, it seemed then like it was closer to a minute of destruction. I think Tulsa is closer than 2 hours from Joplin, I think they said the Tulsa area had the same system but in the sky still, I think they said it landed in Joplin. I go thru there to visit family in Texas.

Heres my Desert Terrarium in it's early stage! I'm not sure if that light is gonna be enuff. It's only a single 20" plantbulb light fixture. I'd like to get that figgered out before the plants die. Keeping cats out of it might also be a problem. I also posted in the "Terrarium Gardening" forum. Anyody have any advice on it?
Thanks, Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

ImaMes
Camdenton, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 24, 2011
3:11 PM

Post #8584868

Rusty - So glad to hear you're ok. One mile is too close for comfort - scary!

Crit - Yikes! The closest I've been is about 10 miles away. All we had were strong winds that knocked over lawn ornaments, etc. That was close enough for me.

Billy - I'll bring you the rocks next time we go to IA. Glad you like that iris. It is my favorite!

Happ & Will & Pepper - Thanks for the well wishes. My back is still too bad to sit for long, but getting better slowly day by day. Now if I can just be patient and not do anything foolish and re-injure it... like gardening! haha

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

May 24, 2011
3:38 PM

Post #8584911

Rusty56 wrote:

Here's what the barn shed blew into my yard & house's garage so no damages just little messy around here and I was just about a mile where the tornado hit...

Well, as my stepson took me out for ride to see the tornado goes and sure it about 7 blocks from my home that church blew off the roof and windows... I though was a mile but it not just 7 blocks from it...

I saw so sad and horrible at hospital and some on street homes gone and look at the tree just like burn it...(no branches on tree just like dead burn tree)...

so it will be more later on tonight for warning tornado... Just t-storm and raining...

Final, next door got the shed out of my yard already and my dogs got very spooky again lol...
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 24, 2011
4:25 PM

Post #8584985

According to Yahoo maps, from SS to Joplin is 120 miles, 1hr 50 minutes. However, you do have interstate going there, and I don't know if yahoo allows for that..

They just said a tornado in guthrie, and that cell is the one moving our way.

Just updated the death toll in Joplin to 125. Largest loss of life from one tornado in US history. The michigan one was 116.

I felt God intentionally took the man in the wheelchair to be with him. Much better off there.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 24, 2011
5:03 PM

Post #8585081

Crit, I hope you are taking shelter!!!

For those of you not watching the news, Olk is getting bomboarded with tornadoes right now. Very, very dangerous system!!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 24, 2011
5:24 PM

Post #8585141

We are watching the radar as we type. Is starting to move into our area. Have the 'fraidy hole all ready and we are on the call line from the local meteoroligst, so whenever the NWS issues something, we get a call. So far just a sever thunderstorm warning, but it isn't here yet. I'm on satelitte internet, so may lose it. No problems with the tv or internet so far.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 24, 2011
5:30 PM

Post #8585149

We will be getting hit tonight also but later on. Be careful and stay safe!!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 24, 2011
6:30 PM

Post #8585282

We are good, it's passed us. Texted my kids and they are at their dads who has a full basement. They live up by Caney/Coffeyville/Independence, KS

Prayers be with you!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 24, 2011
7:26 PM

Post #8585419

Joplin under a tornado warning. The tornado will either hit them or miss them by a very short distance of a few miles.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

May 24, 2011
9:02 PM

Post #8585602

Haha.. the "fraidy hole"! There is nothing funny about needing one unfortunately, I'm sure a storm cellar can make a big difference, but thats kinda a comical name for it!
: ) Like they say, "laughter is the best medicine!". 7 blocks, that is close, Rusty! Glad you're alright. Things coulda easily been different. They said on the 10 o'clock news that 1,500 are missing in Joplin, I hope those people have just vacated or something.

So many storms everywhere, there is a tornado watch here even until 3am, it's storming outside right now. I want to go out and upright my pots again but they'll just get knocked down again.

Better hold off on that gardening for awhile, Ima, you're health is more important! : )

Heres the latest photo of my "desert terrarium". I've done a couple things different from even the photo from yesterday. I think I got some obsession going on the strap, tinfoil and some cat protection! I am really not wanting my expensive little desert plants to die from my trial effort! If they do, they do, I have 90 days to return them, which is alright, I am handy with receipts. I think at least one had a big headstart on dying at The Home Depot. Those plants were INSIDE the store, unless they wheeled them outside sometime, they got NO SUN. The one in back, called "Rainbow" something or other, is yellowing, it is quite pale, it might be on it's way out. Probably half of the "Living Stones" were dead on the shelf, I look back now, its probably because they got no sun. I might have me a wallet full of The Home Depot "store credit cards" before this is over! -

Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 25, 2011
3:31 AM

Post #8585837

Oh Crit, what a description! I felt like I was there. That is extreme sensory overload, LOL! I would have been too fascinated and full of adrenalin to be scared, till after!

It's a shame about the guy. I hope he went without pain.

Will, I saw the recording on the news. I'd be waiting to get out of that packed cooler, LOL!

The terrarium looks good so far!

Ima, great on the rocks!

The iris really wowed me. I had just re-done my plant journal and saw the names. Then it opened... I do love it!

Rusty, that is so close. It really shows how lucky you were. I couldn't believe how empty the hospital was and that they were able to get the people out. Amazing!

I think what got me first, were all the cars. I've never seen so many, dented and rolled. That was a shock!

I feel for your dogs. They are right to be afraid.

Will, your plant do look a little sadder. I didn't notice that in the first photos of them.

We got the boys to the oldest's first ballgame last night (6 and 7 year olds) And they got to play just a little before the sirens went off. We grabbed them and the chairs and headed for their house. It was just a T-storm warning and not tornado, but was a great chance to show the boys a different sky.

I saw lightning first thing this morning so we've had some heavy rain already. It's still thundering as I type :o)

DD and my twin ''pineapples.'' That's how big they are :o)

Thumbnail by billyporter

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2011
4:56 AM

Post #8585916

lol billy and your 'pineapples'.

They make a metal mesh top to go over 10 gal. aquariums for just that purpose, keeping critters out OR IN. You can get them at pet stores, and maybe walmart. I have one I don't use anymore that I wish I could give you.

I understand there were 8 deaths in this round of storms, and 1 child 3 years old missing, a 15 month old dead and another in the hospital. Mom is pregnant but OK from what I understand. It was near Piedmont, OK The are showing at least 10 just up to OKC. There were more north and east later on through the evening.
Lots of wind damage in Tulsa. We came out unscathed. Got 3/4" of rain, no damaging wind or hail.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 25, 2011
6:21 AM

Post #8586038

Crit, :o)

I thought a mesh cover would work too.

The deaths are too sad. What a shame.

I'm glad you and most of the DG'ers are OK. At least I haven't heard of anything happening to anyone.

Well, enjoy the day. Rain or shine it's better than some are having.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

May 25, 2011
7:15 AM

Post #8586124

Well, I am still alive again lol so the power ran off again at 902pm last night and got back on at 826 am today hard time to get internet back on and final thru it...

One more day to go! Keep prayer for who lost or love ones in Joplin, MO... I just don't know how many dead so far...

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

May 25, 2011
9:07 AM

Post #8586387

That had to be scary to see how close the storm came to you when you went out driving...

Those poor people down there in Joplin, my heart just breaks for them. I can't even imagine what it looks like in person because it is awful enough in pictures.

Hey Will, your rose has a bud on it, so I am guessing it is going to live...rofl. So it should be in good shape when I finally get it to you.

I cut these iris before the storm last night and brought them to work today. Sorry if I already posted this...rofl Edited to say the pic is pretty true to color, except the yellow is a little brighter.

This message was edited May 25, 2011 10:09 AM

Thumbnail by happgarden

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

May 25, 2011
12:28 PM

Post #8586732

Twin "pineapples"! Thats quite a load there! Thanks billyp, I hope that terrarium does good. It's kinda neat to look at it, maybe I'll put a Gecko in it. Hmmm, I never thought of mesh, thats a good idea, I'll keep that in mind, thanks. Sorry to hear about the fatalities and storm damages in Tulsa, Crit. They say now that no fatalities in Sedalia.
Yeah, the Kalanchoe F Variegata 'Rainbow Plant' isn't looking very good, several of the little succulent leaf things have fallen off. I did some reading on it, they say it grows 12 to 18 inches tall, maybe too tall for a miniature "desert terrarium". It was only $2.28, the "Living Stone" was the most expensive at $4.98, so far it seems to be doing okay. The best looking one of the 3 that I bought is the cactus, it was in the middle on price at $3.48.
Pretty cut Iris there, happ. A Rose bud eh? Glad to hear it! We're looking forward to that Rose vine!
Thats a long time to be without power, Rusty, glad its not real hot or cold. Sure Rusty, I'll have them in my prayers, they do need it. I've came to the conclusion, that one could just die with satellite tv. Ours went out, (and the weather reports with it) DURING the violent storm earlier that could've produced a tornado. The photo was when the tv was out and it was storming like heck! I was standing at the front door then. In the photo, thats rainwater rushed up against the rear tire of my blue car. The photo is so foggy because thats rain coming down. There was like 10 storm cells (with likely tornadoes in the sky or on the ground) coming thru Jackson, Johnson and Lafayette counties alone (immediate KC metro area, and other surrounding metro area counties). All around there were more storms.

Yeah, some of those photos from Joplin were just nuts! I saw one of a vehicle wrapped around a tree and the outline of the tree's big branches showing thru the "vehicle's" hood or something, (the vehicle was unrecognizable, I don't even know that it was a vehicle).
Will

This message was edited May 25, 2011 5:42 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 25, 2011
1:28 PM

Post #8586843

The storms were pretty bad today but the news media did a great job covering it so everyone was able to get to safety in time. I spent an hour in the basement under the stairs hoping those funnel clouds stayed on course AWAY from me. lol. I had 2 that were close. One between Oak Grove and Bates City and another one east of Odessa. Waaaay to close for comfort.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2011
5:03 PM

Post #8587166

You know what is worse than satellite TV? Not just satellite TV but also satellite INTERNET! lol I had my radio out, there were several stations broadcasting weather reports. I may have to re-think this situation...
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 25, 2011
5:48 PM

Post #8587279

For me it was a good thing. lol. Since I was stuck in the basement til skies cleared I needed all the reports. Bad thing was you would think it was all clear and another cell would pop up and start rotating so they would continue the tornado warning for you area.

Here are pics of Joplin: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1389737/Joplin-MO-tornado-At-89-dead-twister-cuts-4-mile-swathe-Missouri-town.html
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 25, 2011
7:41 PM

Post #8587563

Just heard the hospital in Sedalia was destroyed.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

May 25, 2011
8:23 PM

Post #8587639

Wow, those are some incredible pics, they show some really good "before and after" shots of Walmart, The Home Depot, residential areas and apartment complexes and much more. It's just amazing the great amount of destruction there. It's hard to imagine a Walmart or a Home Depot just flattened like that. I'll insert the photo of The Home Depot from that, just incredible unfortunately.
I woulda been in the basement earlier too, but I kinda need to stay upstairs in case I need to carry the disabled lady here to the basement, she is bed-ridden.
Yeah, thats too bad about the satellite internet, and it's not cheap.
I saw the makeshift hospital because of that, it's quite a big change. They said theres some serious changes, some people can't get the same care.
One lady said she couldn't find her doctor and now her meds were all off, just a mess I think.

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2011
4:02 AM

Post #8587919

Glad you are OK pepper!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 26, 2011
5:16 AM

Post #8587988

Rusty, we really depend on our power don't we? When our's went off, I read till it got too dark, then went to bed at 7:00 pm :o)

Prayers and deepest sympathy has been sent.

Happ, Pepper gave a good link to see the before and after. It numbs the mind. Where do you start besides one board at a time?

Nope, not posted here yet. How beautiful! What kind of pot is that? I love it!

Will, you'll need a few crickets for that gecko, LOL! One would look good in there!

Yeah, Mom had a Kalenchoe and it got tall and wide. I don't know much about them or haw many types there are. The leaves dropping sure sounds like no water. They can take drought up to a point. I'd point that out.

Nice picture Will. So you live on a sloped street? Your mulch job held up and looks nice. Wait a minute, is that mulch on the walk? Oops :o)

Pepper, pretty intense. I have two weather radios and they are used!

Crit, no power here means no water, no flushing! No cordless phones, lights, tv or internet. Nothing. Luckily we have a crank radio for music and weather radios for warnings. We are lucky to have the outdoor pump for water.

Pepper, the link shows how devastating it all is. It's just horrible. Where do you stay? If you have no car, where do you go?

Will, not having the meds is bad. I could do with out mine for a few days, but I wouldn't want to wait too long.

Well, we can only pray for these people, altho they need physical help. I hope they get it.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

May 26, 2011
5:51 AM

Post #8588022

billy, the pot is a pottery pot someone made. A friend got it for me at an art fair cause she knows I am always looking for vases. Thought after I get the flowers up I would see if I could see the artist. We have a person down in the art studios below that makes all kinds of bud vases. I will have to take pics. Big problem I can't afford them...rofl. Keep thinking during the winter I would take the pottery class and maybe try to make some.

It is really cool this morning! Hope we have a good weekend.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 26, 2011
5:31 PM

Post #8589357

It was cool this morning!! I about froze when I was outside!! LOL. I didn't wear thick enough pants. Luckily when I was out there a little while later I stayed warm by moving all the new hanging baskets that we just got in around. Then I ran back inside til afternoon. lol
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

May 26, 2011
9:46 PM

Post #8589933

That Kalanchoe is looking even worse! It's black around the top, I think those parts are goners. I'm not really sure, but I think it might be trying to rebound, it seems a little more green overall, than it used to. Crickets for the Gecko?! I'm glad it eats them and not me eating them! I might get a lizard they seem kinda neat. I should wait a while to see if my desert plants are gonna be happy first. I might be unpleasantly surprised at how much Geckos cost. Heres that Kalanchoe in the pic, sorry it's not brighter but the flash was pointed right at it. I sprayed them all with water but I am weary about over-doing it with the water. I'd like to water about once every 2 weeks if I can. I know cacti can take less watering than succulents, I'd like to find a happy middle ground on watering for the two, I hope I don't kill them all in the process!

It was cold today until about 2 this afternoon. I hope the houseplants outside now were alright with it. It's supposed to be back up into the 80's this weekend here though.

Yeah, this street is sloped alot. I park on the street and it's a manual so I make real sure it's set to park! I always turn the wheels to the curb, just a habit! lol
I have this fear that my car is gonna roll down the street into somebody's house or worse! It won't go anywhere, the parking brake is on, it's in gear and the front wheels are locked towards the curb, so hopefully it don't go anywhere! When I parked my truck on the street, I'd do all that plus put a wheel chock under a tire!

Thanks billyp, that mulch is still hanging in there! I'll never forget that, it was alot of work! Yeah, the walk is all mulched too. It's very important to my friend here that the walk is always mulched good. It was even mulched before I put all that mulch by the curb, in front of the gate. If that walk isn't mulched or something, (we had patio blocks before) you're shoes are caked in mud if it has rained! If it was up to me, the whole front yard would have weed-fabric and then mulch! I get tired of pulling all the weeds out there. But, I've asked, she says the main weed, (some kind of Wild Violet with a purple flower) is pretty and she wants to keep it.

Billyp, is you're outdoor pump hooked up to a cistern or a spring? A toilet will still flush if you pour water into the bowl. I had to do that a few years ago when the water was turned off, due to no fault of my own.

Neat pot happ. Does it have a little holder part built in that holds the flowers in the middle and so straight?

They brought way down the number of missing in Joplin, from 1,500 to 233. They said the majority of the missing is due to likely miscommunications. They guess that alot of people lost cell service and/or they're phones and can't reach anybody to tell them they're okay. But, unfortunately, they say the fatality count is still likely to go up.

Yeah, how miserable that must be. No house, no car, death and destruction all around, that would be overwhelming. Having you're life turned upside down, like so many in Joplin, would stink. You see people put on a brave face, yet they've lost so much. I suppose if you feel pain then you're still alive and thats good!
Will

This message was edited May 26, 2011 10:48 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 27, 2011
5:06 AM

Post #8590228

Happ, it sure is a neat pot! You're lucky to have one. It would be cool to make your own.

Pepper, been there in the thin pants the wind just goes thru, so I got a smile over yours.

Will, I think I'd just take thew Kalanchoe back.

Laughing, I looked to see if you turned your wheels! Good habit :o)

Ah, I remember now. It's not a sidewalk there.

At least she's supporting the one butterfly that only feeds on violets. I agree. they are a weed, but they are pretty.

Our outdoor pump is pipe with a point. That's a pipe with holes and a screen inside, for anyone who doesn't know. It's pounded right into the ground water. The pitcher, when primed, will pull the water up.

The toilet is why we keep five gallon buckets of water in the house. We have for years. A bit of Clorox keeps it fresh for a long long time.

Yep, your kalanchoe is molding so it's too wet. Take it out, dry it up and return it. I'm not sure if you can grow another plant from a leaf or not?

Busy weekend with the boys. Later all!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

May 27, 2011
8:11 AM

Post #8590531

Here is what the pot looks like inside. It is a spikey frog inside dead center and the vase holds enough water to keep everything well hydrated.

If I get a chance I will take some pics of the vases the artists (not the who did my vase) downstairs make. They are really cool but out of range on my beer budget.

Hey Will, I am SUPPOSE to go to Indep. and get my sister and grown nephew to go help me clean up the two old family cememteries, course this is all weather dependent... ;) But by chance it works out...maybe I can delivery your blooming rose.

Thumbnail by happgarden

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

May 27, 2011
3:13 PM

Post #8591255

As the news say 132 dead...

Anyway, I went to see my ex mil near my home and her house roof blew off on middle of the roof and living room and bedrooms window blew in also her car total windows blew out... Also her garage like bend in ... there is so much works for this town to clean up and gonna to rebuild again... Some of the stores is gone... It's so hard to see the town was so beautiful then become like war zone...

I has T-storm few hours ago and again flooding my yard... Peach tree is bend down little bit so I had to fix it...

this is 8th tornado history...

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 27, 2011
5:18 PM

Post #8591530

Rusty, you guys will rebuild bigger and better after this. Sad to hear about ex mil's house. She ok?

Happ, neat pot. Hope you finally make it to Will's!! LOL

Will, take that Klanchoe back and get a new one.

I have lots of new pics to get downloaded and hopefully I can get it done this weekend!!

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

May 27, 2011
5:27 PM

Post #8591554

pepper23 wrote:Rusty, you guys will rebuild bigger and better after this. Sad to hear about ex mil's house. She ok?

She is okay but very scaring she was in bathroom so her dd came to help mom and calm her down...

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 27, 2011
5:29 PM

Post #8591556

Good to hear.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

May 27, 2011
9:40 PM

Post #8592031

Ok happ, I'll be here if you can make it, that'd be great!
Haha! Happ has a beer budget! That's a neat vase, I like how it's designed, it's not big and cumbersome.

They probably water them twice or three times a day at The Home Depot like the other plants, it may be an employee there that may not know that they should get watered very seldom, and he/she is overwatering them. I'm gonna keep the Kalanchoe a little while longer, technically I have 85 or so more days to wait on it before the return policy runs out. Come to think of it, when I looked at them at the store, they were all wet from watering.

You thought I covered up the sidewalk with mulch didn't you billyp?! Haha! there are no sidewalks on this street, actually this city doesn't have many I've seen. That's funny though! I'll cover up you're sidewalk with those little firecracker pop things that pop when you step on them! lol

The tornado in Joplin being the record holder for the single deadliest tornado in history isn't a good record to have really, I bet they rebuild bigger and better than ever too! Glad to hear you're ex MIL is okay, Rusty.
Will

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 28, 2011
4:16 AM

Post #8592253

Happ, that is awesome! I just love how the low bowl accents the strong tall plant. It would be one of my favorites! I love vases :o)

Rusty, I'm glad you went to see X- MIL. I'm sure she needed to talk. That was enough damage to her house as it was.

It does look like a war zone. The charm of the old town is gone and they won't redo it like it was :o(

Will, yep, I sure did, LOL! Now that would be funny! People would be jumping off off it!

The boys go home today and we have a chance of rain. No no no! I need to set tomatoes out to harden off. They aren't ready for a cold rain yet.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 28, 2011
5:02 PM

Post #8593320

My tomatoes haven't grown at all since I've set them in the ground. The temps have been waay up close to 90 or hotter or waaay down with highs in the mid 60s and raining. Very little inbetween. I have 2 pepper plants in pots that just recently put on a couple more leaves but they are still only an inch or so tall and very spindly. I have them in 4 in pots so they have plenty of room but I know the pots aren't too big either. Can't go in the ground til bigger and sturdier or my cats will maul them to death. lol

Nicotina plants.

Thumbnail by pepper23

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 28, 2011
6:05 PM

Post #8593421

That's too bad pepper. This weather is doing a number on a lot of things this year.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

May 29, 2011
12:26 AM

Post #8593913

I got a cutting from my Grandmother's climbing Rose tonite. I put (stuck) the cutting in soil. They aren't all picky needing rooting hormone or anything or they?
Why can't they be easy like Weeping Willow cuttings?! It's regular red, the one I'm getting from Happ is dark red, my housemate here likes dark red too.
I spent Saturday nite playing Chess with my Grandfather! He's a sport, he'd rather play Chess than sleep I think!
Heater or air conditioner, heater or air conditioner? Well, I think it will be air conditioner soon!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

May 29, 2011
5:47 AM

Post #8594228

The GMA said "There is 139 dead...

So, The president is coming to Joplin, MO today at 2 pm...
For who lost or loved ones that a week ago...

There is alot of volunteers going to help here to clean up the town...

Also they gonna to rebuilding and rebirth for this town...

Here's the link to read it...

http://beta.news.yahoo.com/death-toll-joplin-tornado-least-139-114643891.html

This message was edited May 29, 2011 7:52 AM

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 29, 2011
6:54 AM

Post #8594325

my heart is just breaking for all of those who have lost loved ones and their homes,their work places. May their spirits be given a lift so they can rebuild and continue on.

Jan
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

May 29, 2011
7:22 AM

Post #8594371

The whole thing is amazing and so overwhelming. I can't even imagine in my wildest thoughts what it is like.

Well I planted the barrels in the city for my Master Gardener hours last night. I was hoping for cloundy for a few days but I guess the plants will get use to the weather right after they get beat to death by the rain and sun...rofl. It had been so cool I couldn't put them out before. The merchants were whining about it...cracked me up since they don't pay for the plants or take care of the plants!

Lots of rain up here last night wowzer and real strange lighting in the sky guess cloud to cloud.

Well gonna get with it have a great one.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 29, 2011
7:39 AM

Post #8594389

There are so many people helping and supplies being sent from this area by so many different people/organizations, it makes me PROUD to be an Okie!!!!

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 29, 2011
7:59 AM

Post #8594418

so glad to hear this Crit.

Jan
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

May 29, 2011
8:24 AM

Post #8594461

Yeah, even the small town I live in there are donations things in all the little businesses.

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

May 29, 2011
10:18 AM

Post #8594645

Ok, Crit, now you have went and done it. I went outside this morning and I had a hosta in a pot just sitting next to the house with two sections coming up and one section was laying over and cut off right at the top next to the crown...never in all these years have I ever had anything like that happen. It couldn't be deeer or rabbit or anything like that because it is in the corner next to the garage and concrete right where the dog sleeps everyday and night...omg never had that happen. It has to be a cut worm, I tore into everything and couldn't find a worm but has to be I don't know what else it would be. Mine will come back from the crown I am sure, how is yours doing?
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 29, 2011
10:54 AM

Post #8594689

The first one they cut down has not come back. I'm thinking of digging it up and seeing if there is anything live underground. I put out some Irish Spring and havn't had anything else done, but I'm also putting out hair clippings today. I know, it's the wildest thing! I didn't really think it was a rabbit either, but don't know what else to think!!! What a conundrum. lol (spelling doesn't look right but WORD said it was.)
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

May 29, 2011
1:38 PM

Post #8594900

There is no way any animal could of gotten to this hosta, the big old black lab would not of allowd it...rofl. I am just convinced it has to be a cut worm. Cut off right at the top of the soil, just like you said. This one was in a pot and doing great. I still have one piece so I know mine will be ok, hope yours does. This is the strip of dirt between the house and the driveway, not very wide. I have 3 hostas and two hydrangeas in it and only this pot has been distrubed. Course the others are huge, one blue angel, and then a varigated hosta. I don't have any slug damage, so I don't think it was a slug. It got more than one of your hostas? The others you might try putting a "collar" on them like they do for plants that cut worms go after.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 29, 2011
1:59 PM

Post #8594928

We had 3 bus loads of supplies leave Casey's in Odessa on Friday afternoon. At my job we set out a watermelon bin for donations and it ws overflowing when the woman came to pick up everything. She had to make 2 trips to get everything and before she left the second time a couple came out and gave her some more stuff to take with her. We still have the bin out and it is slowly filling up again and someone is supposed to take the next load on Tues. Several other businesses in town have also set out donation bins for Joplin. Alot of people know it could have been us. Two hours or so is not that far of a drive.

That is weird what is happening to your hostas. I've never heard of that really. It better not come here!! lol

Dats the One iris at Commanche.

Thumbnail by pepper23

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 29, 2011
2:40 PM

Post #8595006

There was only one that they wiped out completely. I'm not sure if the others were broken from where I had planted them or if something got them. Haven't had any more problems.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

May 29, 2011
2:43 PM

Post #8595012

Here's the president was visit in Joplin, MO:

http://beta.news.yahoo.com/obama-tours-twister-ravaged-neighborhood-joplin-183918917.html

I know peoples said "Don't give up"...

I hope it will be safe and keep up with the spirit of Joplin...

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

May 31, 2011
4:34 AM

Post #8598633

There is 142 dead...

Also, it really help to clean up the city of Joplin and there is 7,000 volunteers...

Coming of raining in afternoon...

This message was edited May 31, 2011 6:34 AM
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

May 31, 2011
11:28 AM

Post #8599447

Pepper that is a pretty iris, Comanche has a big sign that says SALE on it now. I just can't bring myself to go there, I guess cause Mom and I use to go there alot. Maybe next year...time will tell.

I went to outside of Platte City with my family and worked on the old cemeteries Monday, thank goodness for cloud cover, altho the wind got a tad strong by afternoon! I thought we were gonna get blown off the hill top...heavens.

I have done pretty good about not buying any more plants, except for 3.48 today at HD I bought a hydrangea on sale. Couldn't pass it up for that price.. It had lots of new buds so it should survive. I have way too much stuff to get in the ground and too much to weed, and way too much stuff that needs divided to buy anything new. It has to be dirt cheap to talk me into it.

My eyeballs feel like they are on fire, they must of got sunburn...rofl. I didn't use any sunscreen on them... ;)
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 31, 2011
5:43 PM

Post #8600075

I have several of the new small scale hydrangas coming sometime. I ordered several of them in a co-op. Gonna take the butterfly bushes out that are in front of the deck and put the hydrangas there instead since they like shade more than sun. The butterfly bushes I might put in pots but not sure yet. I do already have 1 hydranga but don't know if it's hardy or not. One site says zone 7 and another zone 5. Hydranga 'Amethyst'.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

May 31, 2011
7:51 PM

Post #8600407

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of you're Mom, happ.

Out with May, in with June! I never thought June would get here! Here comes the heat and the long days!

One volunteer guy from Denver, CO. was saying how he could go to Joplin "and change diapers, chop wood, whatever"! That guy even packed up his kids for the trip. One guy on the news said it good, he goes,"Sooner or later we're gonna have to stop scratching our heads and staring at the rubble and roll up our sleeves and get to work". That would be so overwhelming, I'd be like, "where do I start?". I'd think alot of people would be like me, living week to week. How do you even get the money to rebuild? 142 dead, thats alot, considering how many people were in the path, they must've heeded that 20 minute warning. Unfortunately, there musta been some bad situations for people. They say now that the path the tornado took on the ground is twice as long as they originally thought.

Heres something I did today, I made an old grape flat into a big pot for Petunias. I got 2 Pink 6 packs for $1.68 each and 1 big 4 pk. of White ones for $2.18 at Walmart yesterday.
I'm gonna have to add more soil, I don't think I want all that plastic to show. I plan to do about 6 of those flats if I can find the plants to fill them all up. I'd like to have a few that don't only live one year, maybe Marigolds if I can still get them cheap at The Home Depot. Does anybody have any ideas for hardy flowers or some plant that would be good for that, and hardy?

You're eyeballs are on fire eh happ? I remember this one job many years ago where I worked close to welders. I fairly regularly got accidently flashburned and I'd get home and my eyes would be red and hurting that evening!
Will

This message was edited May 31, 2011 9:01 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 1, 2011
4:52 AM

Post #8600846

Pepper, mine went out tall and healthy so I guess we'll see how they grow now that theey're planted. I set coffee cans around a lot of them so we'll see if Folgers is good for them :o)

I love Nicotiana!

Will, when another Dg'er moved she gave rose cutting to people. They all stuck them in dirt and they rooted. That's a beautiful rose! At least if you can't get it to work the first time, there's always a chance to try again.

So, who won? :o)

Rusty, such sadness for all. I hope they never have to go thru another tornado and I hope they all put in storm shelters when they rebuild. Poor people.

Ditto Jan.

Happ, I can just hear them whining. Obviously they don't know a thing about planting.

Oh no! I couldn't help but laugh over the Hosta. I think it will be alright.

Pepper, another beautiful iris!

Happ, I haven't bought much for flowers either. I have bought ornamnets to compensate :o) I wouldn't have passed up the hydrangea at that price either.

Wil, love the petunia planter!

Well, it been absolutely beautiful here the last two days. We warmed up, so we could finally say we had a nice wind. The windows have been open for two days and a night.

I planted my tomatoes, peppers and eggplant. The cabbage and broccoli dried up under the lights this year. I replanted some of the spinach and put in a row of green beans.

DH called the guy who is supposed to be doing the driveway. I swear, if you don't keep after them they will keep putting you off. He'll come Friday to give a new estimate since we've decided to redo the garage apron too.

Today we take Dad to Pizza Ranch for a buffet birthday dinner. He's 82 now :o)
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 1, 2011
6:09 AM

Post #8600987

Happy Birthday to your Dad BillyP!

My eyes are still burning, either something in the air, or it was so windy they got burnt someway on Monday...who knows. Maybe I should go home from work... ;) Tried to take vacation but waiting on one project to get finished so I can go.

Got home last night and mowed, you know after mowing two cemeteries my yard didn't feel so big, course I didn't finish it either, will do tonight. We have the planters downtown planted and now I think I have gotten smarter and I have 4 jugs of water and on my way home I can stop and water them, then fill the jugs backup and be ready for the next day...sometimes you get smarter in your old age...LOL

This message was edited Jun 1, 2011 7:12 PM
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

June 1, 2011
5:55 PM

Post #8602618

Will, how about some portulaca and alyssum? They will both drop their own seeds and come up next spring. You have your ws'ing and planter all in one. :-)
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

June 1, 2011
5:58 PM

Post #8602628

happ ... have you tried any eye drops? Visine or anything? That might help. Or get a regular type 'eye wash' and wash them out good.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 1, 2011
6:11 PM

Post #8602668

Strange just never had anything like this with my eyeballs, no I havent bought anything but ought to I guess. I have noticed it is worse at work...maybe I am alergic to work? LOL on second thought I know I am.

Started dragging plants out of the solar room to get some rain water. I sure have a mess. I havent brought out the 2 big ee's yet. I don't want them to get torn up by the wind.

Love the little wagon Will, or that is what it looks like... ;) HD had those expensive petunias for 4.97 a big pink six pack.

Poor Joplin, first trying to clean up all that and then rebuilding, I am sure everything is slow, no where close to live, where are all the volunteers living? So sad.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

June 1, 2011
6:31 PM

Post #8602725

Okay, tomorrow would be super, happ, I'll be here all day if you can come. It sounds like great fun to spend time with you're Gniece. I have a couple nieces and 3 nephews myself, well one of the two more soon, my SIL in TX. is due in Oct. I'm gonna start saying I have nieces and nephews to support in job interviews! That might be another reason why I never get the job, because I don't have any kids! I think maybe when it comes between applicants, one with kids might look better!

Who won the Chess games? Well, I hate to toot my own horn, but I bested him 3 out of 4 games! Overall, he still has me by about 10 games, but I'm gaining on him!
I've been getting lucky alot lately with him!

Thanks on the compliment on my former grape flat planter box, billyp. Next, I am gonna do one with all kinds of Mint in it, Coleus and a purple Sweet Potato plant in it. This one won't be a flowering one because where I want to put it is only dappled sunlight, I don't know if flowers would be happy enuff to bloom there.
Maybe a Rose cutting will take someday I hope!

Heres my little $160 Harbor Freight trailer that I intend to pull behind my subcompact car. I have yet to put the sides on it. I was on the road yesterday and some guy at a redlight was I guess feeling sociable for his girl on the back of his motorcycle and he says "that's a suitcase trailer!" I just smiled and said "yeah". I am mainly interested in hauling my pushmower with it and a few other small jobs prolly. It's so cheap because it's a big DIY job and putting it together is a pain! But, it was worth it, I can't afford to shell out a thousand dollars for a trailer the easy way. And besides, I don't think I've seen trailers that small for sell anywhere. And, it's easily light enuff anybody could handle it manually. I would like to save big bucks on gas when I have to drive 90 miles one-way to KS. to mow every 2 or 3 weeks. It's only got 8" wheels..lol But, thats deceiving, they say that in the ad but it is confusing, thats the rim size, which technically I guess is the wheel. With the tire though it's easily 13 or 14 inches in diameter. It says to keep it under 55 mph, but that will be impossible, the two-lane road I travel there has a 65 mph speed limit, and I don't like backing up traffic!

Oh, I know about the getting smarter as you age! Sometimes I look back and I can't believe some of the stupid ways I did stuff years ago!

Did anybody see the news yesterday about the Independence police officer shooting a man's Alligator yard ornament? The guy says the cops came out and shot his
concrete Alligator twice and killed it! I could immediately tell that it was a big, gray concrete Alligator (not even painted) on tv before I heard the story, I couldn't believe it! You know the guy or lady cop must be taking some ribbing down at the police station! I think I'd kinda be in favor of taking away his or her's gun, they might have an eyesight problem going there and shooting stuff isn't gonna work out, I wouldn't think!

Portulaca and Alyssum eh Crit? Thanks, I'll look into those, they do sound interesting!

Thanks happ, I hope that wagon lasts a couple years before it falls apart!

Thumbnail by shortleaf

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 1, 2011
6:46 PM

Post #8602770

Forget me nots and I think it's called soaparia, short like forget me nots with pink flowers are perennial. Lugaria will work for the shade area. I can grab what plants are left at work for you tomorrow if you want any. I'm thinking of getting more anyways. lol. The cultivar is Midnight lady on the lugaria.

Also if you want some butterfly bushes I have 2 that I'm not gonna keep. Black Knight and Nahno Blue I don't want anymore. I have a couple hydrangas that I am gonna put in front of the deck where it's shady. I have a couple buttefly bushes there but they get tall and spindly due to not enough sun. So I plan on redoing the bed (again) to plants more suited there.

My ee's are all planted in different spots and have been for quite some time now and none have come up. I checked one the other day and it has roots which are white so that tells me it's alive but NO LEAVES!!!! I want all my ee's to come up ASAP!! lol

Wide view of some of Commanche's gardens.

Thumbnail by pepper23

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

June 1, 2011
7:51 PM

Post #8602960

Sure Pepper, if you're talking to me. I saw the short up there and it hit me, thats me I think! You can call me anything, but please don't call me late for dinner! lol
I'm gonna look up Lugaria, sounds like a neat shade flower! I'll look up Soaparia too, thanks.
Sure, send them on Pepper, I'll mail you back the postage. I'd love to have plenty to plant by the watergarden I plan. Some of my EE's are sprouting finally, but theres many more yet to sprout. I am hoping like the dickens that they and the Caladiums didn't succumb over the Winter. The Cannas that I got from you haven't sprouted yet, but they look like they're about to, the red bud points on them are swelled way up.
Will
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 2, 2011
11:21 AM

Post #8604106

Caladiums and ee's are both slow to start the year out so don't give up. I think the soil has to be pretty warm for the ee to send up leaves and up until last week we didn't have so much of that warmth.

Went to Larrys nursery and things look different I get the feeling someone else is running it. They had lots of ee's but no winter hardy ones yet. Sometimes their stock takes a while to get started. I bought some hostas for 3.98 a pot so I am happy about that. Didn't have much time so I will have to go back.

Better get with it, later.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 2, 2011

Post #8604881

My ee's finally started sprouting overnight!! Whew!!

Will, got you 2 liguarias today. I knew I would have a spot if you didn't. lol. I'll get the soapwart soaparia tomorrow and I'll get a few forget me nots also. I'll just fill a box for you. lol.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 2, 2011
5:37 PM

Post #8604914

New thread for June!! This thread closed!!!!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1186767/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Central Midwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
You have to guess what this is - it's in my garden. LOL crystalnurse 181 Sep 22, 2010 10:54 AM
dahlias-How to store allysgram 18 Apr 18, 2007 4:39 PM
Stargazer Lily Bulbs Question cedarnest 19 Jul 3, 2007 8:42 PM
Let's go gardening! Terry 12 Jun 21, 2014 10:28 PM
Speaking of winter MaryinLa 5 Mar 3, 2007 2:28 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America