Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Fun feature: Ask-a-Gardener: tomatoes in pots/containers

Communities > Forums > Article: Fun feature: Ask-a-Gardener
bookmark
Forum: Article: Fun feature: Ask-a-GardenerReplies: 1, Views: 8
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
micki1
Las Vegas, NV

May 1, 2011
2:22 PM

Post #8532717

I live in Las Vegas and sadly we have no soil/dirt. just caliche which is akin to cement. I just bought two tomato plants.
a Sweet 100 and a Hawaiian tomato. I need to grow them in pots. but what size pot/container do I need ? apprciate any advice you can give

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

May 2, 2011
5:52 AM

Post #8533974

You can grow a nice crop of tomatoes in planters. Just make sure you give them enough space. I'd give each tomato about a 5gal (or close) container. Tomatoes need consistent moisture and smaller planters dry out too quickly. Get some good quality bags of compost/manure/humus. I purchased composted manure, organic garden soil and organic potting mix. I blended everything together and used this in my planters. Straight potting mix tends to drain quickly and so it dries out. The 'upside down' planters that they are advertising on tv are useless. Don't waste your money on those. Get a good quality, large planter and you should be fine. Sweet 100 will give you a ton of tasty little tomatoes. You'll love it. I've not grown the Hawaiian, so can't speculate on it, but properly cared for tomatoes will never disappoint. Be sure to get a good cage or support. The little tomato cages are for the 'patio' types of tomatoes and the Sweet 100 will laugh at it as it races over it and beyond.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Fun feature: Ask-a-Gardener Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Bananas SALLYSWIMS22 0 Jan 31, 2011 8:53 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America