Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: May 2011 brugmansias

Communities > Forums > Australian and New Zealand Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Australian and New Zealand GardeningReplies: 141, Views: 841
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

May 1, 2011
6:21 PM

Post #8533242

Peanut X Ruffles and Flourishes, strongly scented tall grower with toothed leaves.

We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1176246/#post_8532901

This message was edited May 2, 2011 11:27 AM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

May 1, 2011
7:11 PM

Post #8533330

Cestrum she is beautiful. Colleen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 1, 2011
7:20 PM

Post #8533351

Further to your comment re second and third generation Australian x hybrids, I agree ...so exciting!

Can't wait!
We have some real beauties to work with and the golden oldies with their unstoppable genes.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 1, 2011
7:40 PM

Post #8533411

So just for everyone unfamiliar with the parents of cestrums lovely bloom here is Peanut
http://www.brugmansia.us/forums/index.php?/gallery/image/1769-peanut/

I can't find Ruffles perhaps cestrum can, I see a double grandparent in peanut who is a double too.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

May 1, 2011
7:48 PM

Post #8533427

It's called Ruffles and Flourishes. I kept getting the name wrong, which is why the first message in this thread was edited twice!

You can see it here: http://www.brugmansia.us/forums/index.php?/gallery/category/486-ruffles-and-flourishes/

The double gene must have come from Peanut.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 1, 2011
7:53 PM

Post #8533443

Great genes yours is related to FFA by one grandparent ...the double one :) so it has the creamy/peachy in there too.
Come to think of it they just about all related .:)
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

May 1, 2011
8:21 PM

Post #8533493

Actually, that's not so surprising. Like FFA, it's a tall, strong grower. And look at the toothed leaves--don't they remind you of FFA?
I'm hoping to try crossing it with Golden Butter or a GB seedling, maybe see if it can bring those yellow tones out.
Plus, that would make it a unique Aussie hybrid :-)

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 1, 2011
9:17 PM

Post #8533563

Great thinking! good choices!

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 1, 2011
9:26 PM

Post #8533581

Sorry due to the huge news breaking in the USA I am not yakking away ...it's intense! and we can't speak of these things in the threads ...the leaves are my favourite Jurassic type, the leaves on Waynes seedling crossed to FFA'x Big are sporting them too that is wonderful.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 1, 2011
11:08 PM

Post #8533663

Very, very, pretty cestrum...isn't wonderful that these doubles are coming through now...and different colours too.

Congratulations.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

May 2, 2011
12:01 AM

Post #8533684

Yes, they're pretty. Funny thing is that the doubles give me a new appreciation for singles!

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 2, 2011
12:44 AM

Post #8533702

‎​♪┌(∵)┘♪└(∵)┐♪ Loving your Angels but I do love the Simple elegance of a perfect single brug.‎​♪┌(∵)┘♪└(∵)┐♪

A celebration just the same to see the doubles coming through, we can have both! ‎​♪┌(∵)┘♪└(∵)┐♪ it was not that long ago that we could but wish for such things.
That is another stunning shot ...you can't tell me you don't love that pretty branch of leafy Angels, they are beautiful!
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

May 2, 2011
12:45 AM

Post #8533703

Beautiful Cestrum!
Also Dianne (previous thread), congratulations on your "baby" too!

Just a few single, nondescript singles to boast of here at pres.
Checked on all your seedlings this morning Cestrum. Doing well.

Here is 'Mea Culpa' - became a little top heavy with the rain.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

May 2, 2011
1:11 AM

Post #8533709

Hi Wayne. Who is Mea Culpa's parents? Cestrum it is more beautiful in a cluster. Colleen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 2, 2011
1:32 AM

Post #8533713

Wayne that's a beautiful golden trumpet ...I think it's just the thing for this cold weather it's lit up my screen and made me smile :-)

I don't think there will be any more blooms here for a while it's sunless and cool, I have removed most of my blooms to allow the plants to build up strength for the Spring show, hopefully they won't freeze this Winter.

I think everyone should take a cutting or two of your darlings just in case.
I have done a few hopefully successful crosses but who knows how successful they may be, Autumn is usually a prime time but here in my area it's just pretty hopeless with windy cold and mostly wet conditions.
I hope others out there are doing ok with your crosses :-).

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 2, 2011
1:38 AM

Post #8533718

I am betting that PP cross of yours is BF ...but I guess we will never know!
Whhhaaaa I miss my babies already!!!!

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 2, 2011
2:31 AM

Post #8533743

For everyone starting to feel withdrawal symptoms and wanting some inspiration.

Wish I could speak the language but pictures speak all languages.
http://www.engelstrompeten.de/rot.html
I hope that link works. Just sigh over the beautiful pictures ...
I was very surprised at the Bergfeuer pod parent of HOPE because HOPE is a rich buttery yellow to orange, so I am looking forward to messing with it for the very same reason cestrum mentioned ...merging the colours into a lovely waxy beauty with both colours.

This message was edited May 2, 2011 8:40 PM
MyaC
Magnetic Island
Australia
(Zone 11)

May 2, 2011
4:20 AM

Post #8533815

beautiful Chrissy...here's another link from the same web site,drool over there garden...no possums or wallabies there...

http://www.engelstrompeten.de/garten.html

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 2, 2011
5:53 AM

Post #8533977

Mya hi ...I hope you are sorting things out after everything that happened up your way ...yes beautiful link.
It feels strange to see the garden there so full of the kind of plants we grow in our gardens except for the massive brug variety but we are working on it.

Oh dear I guess the possums and wallabies are still there ...but guess you must pay a price for living in paradise. :-)
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

May 2, 2011
12:43 PM

Post #8534889

ctmorris wrote:Hi Wayne. Who is Mea Culpa's parents? Cestrum it is more beautiful in a cluster. Colleen

'Pink Panther' x noid

From the same pod came 'Sister Bertrille' and 'Giant'. Difficult to know which plant was the pollen parent as at the time the garden was full of bloom from every Brug! I believe from discussion a couple of years back that the orange in MC comes from PP.

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

May 2, 2011
12:44 PM

Post #8534893

MC & SB

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

May 2, 2011
2:45 PM

Post #8535155

Who would have thought that finally having some of your own doubles would give you a new appreciation of the beauties of the singles? Your two have stood the test of time Wayne--just as lovely now as when you discovered them--and I still love Pink Sweetie.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 2, 2011
3:11 PM

Post #8535193

Chrissy, here is the latest Butterbomb 6 pointer. It got a bit squished against a couple of leaves.
Lots more buds coming . I think she is a quicker grower than GHA. Certainly more spreading here anyway.
You wouldnt believe she is still in a small 8"pot ( roots into the ground of course) Over 7"tall and nearly as wide.
I am not wanting to do any pruning as yet. I would like to wait as long as I can until the cold really gets here. I will take cuttings o fall my favorites in case we get a winter like last year.
I am hopeful of a few new blooms neat season as there are a few new Ys.
They are all so much slower here and I dont have a lot of room to shelter too many large plants. As each flowers, I am deciding who stays under the shadecloth and who has to live out in the orchard. The ones out there , although badly frost bitten, have grown back well. Now that the shrubs and trees in the orchard have grown taller, there is a little area in the middle where the angels live.
I have pods forming on Frosty and I am hoping one will take on Butterbomb.
GHA is a mass of blooms. I look forward to the days when I get that from the others.
He is still in his big pot but has roots into the ground. I am not wanting to disturb him , so he looks like staying in that pot. I may cut the second trunk off as it is as large and as floriferous ( is that a real word ) as the first. It will make a good standard. Perhaps it would be better to wait until spring for that.
Better go and make a start on erecting my new plastic. greenhouse
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 2, 2011
3:25 PM

Post #8535216

"cestrum_SEQ"]Yes, they're pretty. Funny thing is that the doubles give me a new appreciation for singles!

cestrum, I agree totally...the singles (even white..lol)...are so perfect when they fully open that they don't need the embellishment of extra skirts.
They really are chalk and cheese...
You probably all have white singles just like mine, but this one fascinates me...even after a few days, it seems not to have deteriorated at all.
The warm days didn't bother it and the " getting very cold " nights didn't either...
The perfume is baby powder with a bit of lemon...how's that Chrissy...it's as close as I can get.
There are lots of buds ready to open on it too.

Thanks Wayne...how many have you given a name to? I know a couple...could you list them please and their parents..I am making a list of all the cultivars that we have in our gardens that are locally grown..

Jean, I have planted your GHA next to my Aurea, which is in a pot...lots of buds on both...I will have to read up on pollinating...
I think that I saved that post of yours cestrum, where you explained what you did...I will see if I did.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 2, 2011
3:34 PM

Post #8535234

See what I mean...it's still lovely...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 2, 2011
3:45 PM

Post #8535245

Having doubles is about scratching that itch we all have as " collectors".

Yes the singles seem to last longer (most of them ... not all) the doubles are really an accident of nature I think, oh but what an accident.

Gardeners have taken that accident and ran with it to make wondrous new trumpets of all colours and multiple skirts.

It's a challenge to improve multiple skirted brugs and who can resist a challenge?

I still love looking up into skirts :-) singles and doubles both,
lovely to hear everyone loving their Angels.

Jean yes BB tends to spread before height ...a glorious brug is BB, I am still madly in love with him!
BB seven points

Thumbnail by chrissy100

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

May 2, 2011
4:00 PM

Post #8535281

Chrissy, was that photo of Butterbomb taken in warm weather? (I assume so, as it's a clear yellow.)

I found my first seedling of Old Apricot x Butterbomb disappointing in itself but am keen to use the best part of it--its genes--for cross-pollination. In my *very* short experience of cross-pollinating brugs it seems that OA as pod parent tends to produce apricot offspring (or occasionally white, as happened with my very first seedling--can't readily lay my hands on the photo). And Alistair seems to have had the same experience. So I think it's best used as the pollen donor rather than the pod parent.

I'm not keen on using Aztec Gold as a pod parent either, as it has only produced unexceptional whites (unscented or barely scented) that are inferior to the original. I think it's also best used as a pollen donor.

Of course, this doesn't mean that using OA or AG as pod parents will never produce good seedlings, but it seems that other combinations are more likely to produce better offspring. The most interesting combos, though, are cross-pollinating seedlings: so exciting, esp. as unexceptional parents can sometimes produce quite lovely seedlings.

Edited yet again to say that using OA could introduce beneficial characteristics into seedlings that don't have any obvious physical appeal (ie seedlings that look nondescript but that may have increased vigour, heat resistance etc).

This message was edited May 3, 2011 9:06 AM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 2, 2011
4:17 PM

Post #8535323

Yes it was ...at the moment BB is finishing up and it had turned a burnished sort of deep gold.
Hopefully starting more seed pods.
I think the crosses with a lot of S.whites in their background influence the colour, somewhere way back in the beginning Alistair told me OA almost always throws apricot in colour.
I believe a lot of what we have worked with in the beginning had lots of the S.white in them.
I know in Germany they are trying to take that out of their brugs ...it may remove the fragrances though.

I think our first attempts at seeds may result in quite a few whites but it taught gardeners how to grow brugs, as they go along they can try imported and local crosses, hopefully the gardeners can make good crosses themselves in the future, everyone has to start somewhere even if it's a sweet white single ...lovely description of the scent in yours Dianne .
Last Autumn shot of BB

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 2, 2011
4:34 PM

Post #8535356

cestrum don't forget to post your seedling blooms into BGI they have fixed it for you :-)
GHA in an Autumn colour

Thumbnail by chrissy100

77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 2, 2011
9:42 PM

Post #8536032

Chrissy, GHA is just about that color here too. The difference is that the ends of each flower roll over a bit more. BB is very cheeky too with huge flowers this time . I am sadly disappointed in Alphonse though. He is very limp compared to BB & GHA. . He does perk up when its evening though. The tendrils stand up beautifully then, where most of the day they just hang.
I went down this morning about 10am and you could still get a very strong perfume from all 3. Probably in the cold it hangs around later.
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 2, 2011
9:59 PM

Post #8536061

Now Jean we call those kind of tendrils Languid it means it may need more shade ...glad you love BB and I love GHA too.

Awe people have been killed in NZ it's awful :(
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

May 2, 2011
11:54 PM

Post #8536138

I can't believe that I'm actually looking around at the flowers and contemplating which crosses would be nice. I only have Clementine flowering at the moment as the double, but maybe I'll try R Frosty Pink with it and try to get a double pink. Ahhhh That would be nice. Colleen
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

May 3, 2011
12:53 AM

Post #8536157

>Who would have thought that finally having some of your own doubles would give you a new appreciation of the beauties of the singles? Your two have stood the test of time Wayne--just as lovely now as when you discovered them--and I still love Pink Sweetie. - Cestrum<

Look at that blue sky with lovely "watermelon" Brugs dangling in front of it! Send me down a double helping of both please! :)

>I'm not keen on using Aztec Gold as a pod parent either, as it has only produced unexceptional whites (unscented or barely scented) that are inferior to the original. I think it's also best used as a pollen donor. - Cestrum<

Both 'Coral Reef' and 'Love Potion no.9' have AG as pod parent. :)))

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 3, 2011
1:25 AM

Post #8536163

PP must carry a fair whack of orange in her then ...I see she is in a lot of lovely blooms.
She is what I would call a warm pink, I think it's probable the warm pinks do.
I have a Sugar Pink cross that was Pastel Orange in colour and Sugar Pink is a warm pink in warm weather.
The big flair in your beautiful blooms comes from AG she tends to fling the skirt wide open.
Alistair
Nowra, NSW,
Australia
(Zone 9b)

May 3, 2011
1:29 AM

Post #8536164

That double pink looks good cestrum :)
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

May 3, 2011
3:50 AM

Post #8536213

Wayne will you let me know when you're going to cut your brugs back please. There are a lot that I don't have. SB, MC, LPno9, CR for a few. I would be very pleased to get cuttings of these . Thank you Colleen
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

May 3, 2011
1:02 PM

Post #8537267

ctmorris wrote:Wayne will you let me know when you're going to cut your brugs back please. There are a lot that I don't have. SB, MC, LPno9, CR for a few. I would be very pleased to get cuttings of these . Thank you Colleen

Colleen, I don't cut the Brugs back at all until winter has passed. The more coverage I have the better! If there is damage, I assess then strike. If all OK, I leave it to a light tidy up. Come spring there will be plenty of material ready to strike, so remind me then please.
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

May 3, 2011
1:10 PM

Post #8537278

chrissy100 wrote:PP must carry a fair whack of orange in her then ...I see she is in a lot of lovely blooms.
She is what I would call a warm pink, I think it's probable the warm pinks do.
I have a Sugar Pink cross that was Pastel Orange in colour and Sugar Pink is a warm pink in warm weather.
The big flair in your beautiful blooms comes from AG she tends to fling the skirt wide open.

Yes, it would seem so. I vaguely recollect a table somewhere (maybe at ABADS) that listed PP's heritage... I do recall discussion as such in one of the Brug forums when MC first bloomed.
Yesterday I discovered one of your Brugs (a cutting given some years back) flowering away under a giant 'Old Apricot'! It is a dear little pale pink - no label. I think it might be 'Sugar Pink' or 'Elfin Pink' or some other. Did not have my camera, so sorry no pics! :( I will see later in the week when I go visit.
Alistair
Nowra, NSW,
Australia
(Zone 9b)

May 3, 2011
1:14 PM

Post #8537288

Pink Panther's heritage is unrecorded, but it definitely does carry unexpressed orange.
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

May 3, 2011
2:02 PM

Post #8537402

Thanks Alistair.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

May 3, 2011
2:17 PM

Post #8537432

Thanks Wayne. There are still a lot of brugs that Cestrum, Chrissy and you have that I haven't got. I have several pieces of the Reynella Orange that are looking good. It will be interesting to see what it is. A very beautiful flower. Should have some pics Friday or early next week hopefully. Colleen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 3, 2011
2:35 PM

Post #8537454

Note to everyone, like Wayne has said it's better to leave the Brugmansia "fully clothed" so to speak so the inner parts of the plants are protected in case of a heavy frost.
Take one or two cuttings from down below somewhere for yourself if you are worried about plants in the ground.
It may look bad in the middle of Winter but it will quickly drop the leaves in the Spring and get on with things.
It's always better to send cuttings in healthy active growth if possible.
Wayne it could be either I think along the way I have sent you both. Both are small but the Sugar Pink has the long green calyx (I call those ones Green Sleeved ) I thought it was almost identical in colour to PP and like PP does turn darker in certain conditions where you see the orange colour in the bloom (like a light rinse).
Looking forward to the pictures.

Brrrr it's cold! :-)
Sugar Pink ...look at the "Green Sleeves" (calyx)

Thumbnail by chrissy100

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

May 3, 2011
2:43 PM

Post #8537470

WayneCarter wrote:

Both 'Coral Reef' and 'Love Potion no.9' have AG as pod parent. :)))

Ah Wayne, you won the jackpot! And there'll probably be someone who gets a lovely seedling with OA as pod parent. But it won't be me LOL

ctmorris wrote:Thanks Wayne. There are still a lot of brugs that Cestrum, Chrissy and you have that I haven't got. I have several pieces of the Reynella Orange that are looking good. It will be interesting to see what it is. A very beautiful flower. Should have some pics Friday or early next week hopefully. Colleen

Colleen, what are you planning--world domination of brugs!!

Alistair wrote:Pink Panther's heritage is unrecorded, but it definitely does carry unexpressed orange.

Must keep my eyes out for some seeds with PP as the pod parent, in this case. Love the oranges :-)

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

May 3, 2011
2:52 PM

Post #8537490

Hello Cestrum. No but I would like one of each. Brian's are now slowly getting sorted, he had a lot of FP in there and a lot of AGop, TantraX which haven't flowered as yet and Suavelons. Only one of the pieces that you sent recently looks viable, but will wait to see if the other 2 send up shoots from underneath. I'm sorry to say that not everything takes. Colleen
77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 3, 2011
3:16 PM

Post #8537544

Colleen, I must admit I have been lax with your Riverland FP, but it is growing very well out under the quince and nectarine trees. It gets a bit forgotten now that the orchard trees are so big. I have to walk around to see it rather than just cut between trees as I used to. It did get badly frost bitten last year but has come back nicely. It did flower the previous year, so I have hopes for more flowers next season.
Chrissy, I am definitely in love with BB. he is so flamboyant. Those huge golden blooms looking you in the face. I had better not let GHA hear me or he will sulk, but he is still my favorite, being the first and so beautiful.
I am amazed at how the perfume of the three out now, GHA, AM and BB, hangs around on these cold days. I can smell it quite strongly during the mornings and even very early in the afternoons. We know GHA always has the scent during the day, around but the other two didnt in the warmer weather.
Cestrum, your pieces are looking good down in the orchid house.
Wayne, your girls are doing well here.
I think PP is the slowest of all mine . Maybe he doesnt like it down here.
Here is a photo from yesterday of some of the younger cutting grown ones and some of the last years seedlings.
Wayne, your Giant is in the middle with his Y.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

May 3, 2011
7:33 PM

Post #8538170

More brugs Cestrum lol. The seeds have arrived from USA. , 2 datura and superspot x berkonigii. as I can't read the labels. . My heart is in my mouth as the saying goes. I'm so excited. I'm going to set up a hot house before I get these going. Hopefully I'll have some to share with everyone later. Colleen

This message was edited May 4, 2011 5:06 PM
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

May 3, 2011
7:56 PM

Post #8538242

Yes, my seeds from Edna of BGI arrived today too, but they weren't checked by AQIS.

Well Colleen, I'm still wondering about what you plan to do with all those brugs? Hmmm, I've heard of wildlife parks--are you planning some sort of drive-thru brugmansia park LOL I reckon you will indeed have some beauties to share when all those you've collected start flowering: can't wait!

Was thinking more about Aztec Gold seedlings. I reckon you must have the largest number of my AG crosses, as I had so many in the first year of pollinating brugs and sent most of them to Brian. Which means if anyone is going to get a good seedling from AG it's likely to be you. But then it occurred to me that I had a much more restricted variety of brugs back then, so it's possible that *all* the AG seedlings from my seeds might turn out to be unscented whites :-( I guess time will tell ...

As for the poor strike rate for those cuttings of mine, I must say that I found they all struck readily for me. But that was in summer, so I guess this reinforces Chrissy's point that now is not a good time to strike brugs for those of us not living in the tropics. (Or, like Jean, have a greenhouse.)

This message was edited May 4, 2011 1:01 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 3, 2011
8:21 PM

Post #8538341

I was told in the ABADS forum long ago that Brug cuttings shouldn't be sent from a warm place to a cool place because the cutting thinks it's going into Winter and unless it's a very eager grower it just goes to sleep. Plants are ok to go to sleep because they already have roots.

I am sure there are lots of clever ways to deal with this but I think Spring at 20C as Alistair once told us is the best time to get those seeds and cuttings going (from my own experience of course).

My Brug seeds when they were inspected and passed years ago were individual little paper envelopes with the cross names on them thus showing the seeds may look different, they had been opened and checked.

Maybe some individual people may be more ignorant of the species or just in a bad mood.
Good luck with those seeds everyone.

Yes I sent Brian hundreds of seeds and bundles of cuttings, he must have had a huge collection.
So you have many treasures there Colleen. That would include the Arborea ones Brian germinated and grew, you can cross those with your Sangs.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

May 4, 2011
12:18 AM

Post #8538620

Phanomenal x Superspot#1 is looking better in autumn. The calyx isn't burnt off, but the inner skirt hasn't dropped either. It's a chameleon, this one.

PS It's a paler pink than appears in this image. The sunset has saturated the photo with red hues, as you can tell from the skin tone of my hands. [A technique no doubt used by unscrupulous sellers!]

This message was edited May 4, 2011 5:23 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 4, 2011
12:25 AM

Post #8538622

So beautiful! you are not too cold yet? it's darned cold here.

That is a darling trumpet! jackpot kiddo!
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

May 4, 2011
12:47 AM

Post #8538630

Cestrum, I have a few AGX seedlings of Brian's but he didn't plant all of the seeds you and Chrissy sent. When I asked his daughter if she'd found a bag of brug seeds she just got a funny look on her face, so I presume she threw them out. Oh well, what we don't know wont hurt us. I have made myself a hot house out of the boys A-frame swing that they don't use anymore. Still thinking whether I will try some of the seed now. I really would like to get maximum strike out of these so will have to give it more thought. Beautiful long tendrils Cestrum. Colleen

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 4, 2011
1:18 AM

Post #8538638

Resist, Colleen, resist the temptation to plant until Spring warms the soil...you won't lose any to the cold... and you can create some more beauties to post here...
Very inventive putting the A frame to good use...hope you have many successes in there...

I do like that one, cestrum...even if it is lighter in colour it has FLAIR...

Bruce's Pink looking a little peach...

This message was edited May 4, 2011 7:48 PM

Thumbnail by Seachanger

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 4, 2011
1:29 AM

Post #8538640

I was just looking at a pic that I saved from somewhere of Ecuador Pink...I have looked at many pics of it since my seedling flowered because it's the pod parent, none of them really showed the wide corolla... so I now know where that wide straight corolla in my seedling came from...this pic was exactly the same as the one that I took of the Ecuador Pink x, only the flower is pink...
What good, strong genes it must have...when it is used as a pod parent...

This message was edited May 4, 2011 7:34 PM

Thumbnail by Seachanger

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

May 4, 2011
3:07 PM

Post #8539868

OK, this is the correct forum ... Look at how the inner skirt has dropped in the bloom at left.
Funny thing is that I'm having a hard time identifying the stigma--the 'insides' seem deformed. I'll try and take a photo next time I slit one open.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 4, 2011
5:31 PM

Post #8540166

Alphonse Mucha, looking better, not so "languid" He seems to like it better when its cold. Those tendrils curl up so prettily , unlike the way they hang sadly in the warm.
He never gets more color than this here.
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 4, 2011
5:32 PM

Post #8540170

Another view of the golden one BB.
I have to look up for this one now. Very cheeky.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 4, 2011
6:47 PM

Post #8540345

Running late today ...the nurse isn't here yet she is running late ...I will come back after she has gone, beaut pics there :)

Happy to see the seeds are going to get there cestrum ...great news.
Do you remember this one? ...it hates the warm temps as seen here, but is coming on strong in the cooler days.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

May 4, 2011
6:56 PM

Post #8540364

Um ... no!
Can't think what it is ...?

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 4, 2011
8:49 PM

Post #8540553

It's Butterfly x Adeline ...just wondering if it is related to Ruffles and Flourishes, do you know the parents of RaF ?
This one turns much darker in certain conditions.
It seems to like Winter ...it bloomed while I was gone last Winter then was trashed by hail.
I am thrilled to see it recovering well now because I was so thrilled with it when it had it's first blooms, the tendrils being way up past the calyx.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

May 4, 2011
8:55 PM

Post #8540570

You've got too many brugs for me to keep track of, Chrissy!
Don't know about your seedling's parents, but as for Ruffles and Flourishes: Ecuador Pink x Rothkirch ... Dianne--there's your EP. It turns up as a parent in many of the registered brugs :-)

Here's Rothkirch: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=6124837

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

May 4, 2011
9:45 PM

Post #8540635

This photo better catches the delicate pink shade of Phanomenal x Superspot#1.
Jean, it's interesting how fond we all are of our scented yellow/orange aureas: GHA, BB and GB, our favourite depending on which one we discovered first :-)

This message was edited May 5, 2011 2:47 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 4, 2011
10:33 PM

Post #8540663

Thanks for the info cestrum yes the beautiful Rothkirch gives many of the beautiful hybrids their tendril length.
Lovely colours in that shot.
The "golden colours" are so happy aren't they.

Jean love BB and AM so happy they are performing well for you.

They really make you smile and they seem to last so well.
I guess after white there are so many pinks ...I love them all :)

Dianne that's so pretty! I haven't had mine bloom yet (blaming it on the weather)

This seedling has both yellow and peach but it melts in the Sun, it needs shade.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

May 4, 2011
10:54 PM

Post #8540681

Chrissy, what cross is that? I think that yellow/peach combination is just lovely.
PS When are *you* going to add some of your seedlings to the BGI database?

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 4, 2011
11:17 PM

Post #8540689

A piece or two of this is going to you in the Spring ...I haven't shared this one yet it has the scalloped limey leaves in Winter , they call it false variegation ...it goes away in heat.

I haven't forgotten you like those colours ...I'm still shy about blooms that haven't grown in other gardens yet. :)
I called this one La Bella Luna (pet name) because it's first big flush came out on a full moon evening and it took my breath away. That's what it is all about isn't it? sadly this one is a no name ...no data.:( I think it was from Jean but I am not sure because it came from a few that didn't sprout and were "tossed" out into a tray of sand ...where of course a few suddenly suddenly decided to pop. They must have been older seeds because fresh ones pop up pretty quickly. There were a few of mine too that I chucked, one thing for sure is these were hybrids so there are nice genes in there.

Did you pop yours into the seedling data yet?

They asked me to put TT and FFA straight into the Gallery so I didn't go into the seedling place yet to pop any in, as I say I like to have a bit of feedback first, just in case I am biased and wearing rose coloured glasses :) as you know I love my Brugs.
Love seeing Wayne's beauties in there and very proud to see TT and FFA in there too.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

May 4, 2011
11:24 PM

Post #8540692

chrissy100 wrote:Note to everyone, like Wayne has said it's better to leave the Brugmansia "fully clothed" so to speak so the inner parts of the plants are protected in case of a heavy frost.
Take one or two cuttings from down below somewhere for yourself if you are worried about plants in the ground.
It may look bad in the middle of Winter but it will quickly drop the leaves in the Spring and get on with things.
It's always better to send cuttings in healthy active growth if possible.
Wayne it could be either I think along the way I have sent you both. Both are small but the Sugar Pink has the long green calyx (I call those ones Green Sleeved ) I thought it was almost identical in colour to PP and like PP does turn darker in certain conditions where you see the orange colour in the bloom (like a light rinse).
Looking forward to the pictures.

Brrrr it's cold! :-)
Sugar Pink ...look at the "Green Sleeves" (calyx)

No - not that one, but similar bloom only lighter in colour at present. The calyx is divided into 3 distinct sections that sheath the corolla.
Forgot the camera today. :(

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

May 4, 2011
11:27 PM

Post #8540697

Yes, mine is in the BGI database. The system works perfectly now--what a great idea. You can search for other seedlings with those parents and compare yours, as well as seeing what sort of seedlings they tend to produce.

I didn't think the seedling needed to be grown in anyone else's garden before it went into the database ... did it? That's true for registration, but I thought the database was just to show seedlings so people can see what crosses produce which effects. It's very useful ...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 5, 2011
12:52 AM

Post #8540716

I initially tried to put TT and FFA in there but couldn't (maybe not clever enough at the time) so gave up, is it too late after they are in the Gallery because the Gallery gives that info.
No it doesn't need to be grown in someone's garden and you are right.
I must ask somebody, when I get brave enough.:)

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 5, 2011
2:02 AM

Post #8540725

Wayne you mean like this?
Brugmansia Sugar Pink

Thumbnail by chrissy100

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 5, 2011
2:09 AM

Post #8540727

Such a buzz to see all your pics in BGI...this time next year the rest of us may be fortunate enough to grow something worthwhile.
As much as I am very fond of cestrum's Ecuador Pink x...and will be keeping it...imho...there is not much point in putting a pic on the seedling site if only one parent is known...unless it's exceptional.
But the gallery is every growers "brag book"...love it.

cestrum, I have one seedling, only one survived unfortunately... Ruffles and Flourishes x Berkönigin...I have my fingers crossed...

For all the newer growers like myself...I thought that this info was useful when it it comes to giving an ID to the new seedlings.

Wow that info went really small...the idea is...if it's my seedling, it would be EPxNOID-cestrum-1

This message was edited May 5, 2011 8:14 PM

Thumbnail by Seachanger

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 5, 2011
2:18 AM

Post #8540730

See if I can make it larger...didn't work...shouldn't have copied it...

This message was edited May 5, 2011 8:20 PM

Thumbnail by Seachanger

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 5, 2011
3:44 AM

Post #8540798

Dianne it's readable ...I see a whole bunch of Brugs in there registered with no info at all.
If it's a stunning Brug then you don't really need to know how it was made to list it ...one grower lists no parents at all.
I guess when you are a Superstar of the Brug breeders you don't have to, it's maybe like a 5 star chef who wants to keep their recipes private , why not.

However I think keeping track of the crosses is really important, for we beginners and those who may one day aspire to breeding Superstar Brugmansia.:-) it helps all of us.

I am guilty of having some noids, these things happen by accident some times.

BUT if it's outstanding then it's outstanding :)

Just my thoughts on the subject ...most of all just love the journey because it's very special.
This naughty noid had so many blooms in it's very first flush it was unreal ...but it could not take the full on Sun as you can see it bleached and cooked it, where as the blooms that managed some shade were very beautiful ...the colour is extraordinary in real life (mind you at night it was a knockout!).
So as you go along you will work out which of your Angels like what conditions.
I love this one but only in dappled shade.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

May 5, 2011
12:15 PM

Post #8541737

chrissy100 wrote:Wayne you mean like this?
Brugmansia Sugar Pink

Thank you Chrissy! Yes, that is it. What a perfect pic to demonstrate the description given. I was just about to pack the camera in my bag. It is a petite bloomer - well it is under 'Old Apricot'. Do you remember where this one came from?

Dianne, your idea of some sort of register (parentage etc) of Aus cvs is a good one. This afternoon I will send you a note with any information I have. Much information, like the above example, is easily lost. Similar anecdotal information is also hard to trace - my example of forgetting where I heard of the "orange" heritage of 'Pink Panther'.
Sorry, I might be reinventing the wheel! :)
Would make a great appendix to "a book"... :)
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

May 5, 2011
12:32 PM

Post #8541770

>However I think keeping track of the crosses is really important, for we beginners and those who may one day aspire to breeding Superstar Brugmansia. it helps all of us.< Chrissy

Yes!!!!!!! :)))))
Very important I agree Chrissy.
Half my working day is spent collecting information (evidence) to substantiate treatment, funding, training, monitor progress etc. Without record keeping development goals are very hard to achieve.

PS Wish I could do that clever multi-quote thingy Cestrum did above! :)
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

May 5, 2011
3:41 PM

Post #8542162

Wayne, I occasionally get it right. More often, I forgot to attach photos, attach the wrong photo, or just post to the wrong forum altogether! You can open new tabs/windows and use the Quote function in each one to generate a quote; then paste each quote back into your main page, if that makes sense.

Or use the html code shown in the attached image. The result is shown below:

Quote 1:
WayneCarter wrote:
Manually copy and paste the relevant part of the quote here

Write your comment here

Quote 2:
cestrum_SEQ wrote:
Manually copy and paste the relevant part of the quote here

Write your comment here

This message was edited May 6, 2011 8:42 AM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 5, 2011
4:06 PM

Post #8542234

cestrum_SEQ wrote:Wayne, I occasionally get it right. More often, I forgot to attach photos, attach the wrong photo, or just post to the wrong forum altogether! You can open new tabs/windows and use the Quote function in each one to generate a quote; then paste each quote back into your main page, if that makes sense.

Or use the html code shown in the attached image. The result is shown below:

Quote 1:

Write your comment here

Quote 2:

Write your comment here

Ummm giggling ...morning cestrum.

This message was edited May 6, 2011 8:42 AM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 5, 2011
4:07 PM

Post #8542237

ha ha ha Oh well *giggling* morning cestrum :)
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

May 5, 2011
4:17 PM

Post #8542254

chrissy100 wrote:ha ha ha Oh well *giggling* morning cestrum :)

Try the Preview button to see how it looks, ie do as I say rather than I do LOL

Looks like my Phanomenal x Superspot#1 seedling might have a seedpod crossed with Golden Butter. I hope it matures and produces viable seed ...

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

May 5, 2011
4:21 PM

Post #8542264

Morning girls. Lovely to see you happy so early in the morning. Is GB one of ours? Colleen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 5, 2011
4:23 PM

Post #8542276

Sure does! congratulations ...I hope the frost can't get to it is it in a safe place?,
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

May 5, 2011
4:51 PM

Post #8542352

Golden Butter, Colleen: one of our yellow/gold aureas, similar to BB and GHA.
Safe place? Hmmm, out in the open. Hence the frequent flushes of flowers. I've got a backup cutting in a pot in a more sheltered spot but this plant, and its pods, will have to take their chances. I'm becoming more cavalier each year!

Que sera, sera

PS Can you see that tiny snail at the top right-hand corner of this photo? They are everywhere! Dianne's garden and mine should be designated sister snail gardens!

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 5, 2011
5:35 PM

Post #8542461

Yup all the rain ...the Blue Tongues seem to be missing in action.
Well fingers crossed for the pod, Sue says to use Frost Cloth, I don't know what that is, but it might be worth a try.
I tried to cover mine in the hard frost a while back (with a light sheet) but it did so much damage I didn't try again ...the wind came up while I was busy the next morning and the sheet was ripped off along with half the plant foliage the sheet took with it, I think frost cloth may be a bit like mosquito netting , must google later.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 5, 2011
5:53 PM

Post #8542517

Just a quick post to say I have a small pod starting on Frosty Pink . I used pollen from Colin noid Pink.
It has been mentioned that they may be the same plant but I am sure it is from that cross as there was no other flower open at the time except GHA which is way up the front of the property on the other side of the house. If it is a pod pollinated by an insect, he must have flown a long, long way. We will wait and see if it stays on during the winter. It is only about 1 1/2 "long at the moment . Should be okay as FP is in the middle of a group of angels under shadecloth.
My other pods are doing well on the Perfect Harmony x The Chief seedling with pollen parent GHA. .
I tried some pollen from BB on AM too. Hope that takes as I can see some good size blooms coming from them.
Jean.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

May 5, 2011
6:33 PM

Post #8542605

Jean, that's going to be an interesting cross I reckon. You must be proud parent :-)

Chrissy, the problem with frost protection here is that whatever works in cold climates doesn't work here. Because, while the nights can get frosty, the days are dry and sunny. So whatever you put on at night generally has to be removed during the day or the plant cooks in the sun. I don't mind things that only need to be done once or so, eg covering the old clothesline with a plastic sheet or moving pot plants to more sheltered spots for the winter. But my days of anxiously covering plants each night and uncovering them the next morning are over. I reckon that if they can't survive in my garden, then I don't want them!

This message was edited May 6, 2011 11:33 AM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 5, 2011
7:26 PM

Post #8542728

Oh yes I just meant for your special pod ...yes it's the same here cold night ...warm day (if the sun comes out that is) and yes I feel the same way you do ...I can't fuss and fret any more like I used to but if it's a very special pod I might, still it was very cold last Winter and the pods did survive but stayed quite small and didn't yield the huge quantity of seeds they normally do, though they were healthy.
Jean thanks so much for that bit of info regarding your Colin's noid Pink and Frosty Pink ...if it grows it will prove they are different brugs.

Colleen yes I am happy today because the BGI Herald is out and Wayne's Beauties and my Fire Fighter Angel and Twilight Time are in there ...that does not mean they are registered but it means they are "known" and the names therefore are known.
That was my dream to have FFA known as thanks to our Fire Fighters everywhere and as specially the Victorian Fire Fighters who were true heroes in the tragic Victorian Bushfires, I would love to see every FFA the real live ones- receive a plant of this as a thankyou. Maybe one day that will come to pass ...so grow one for your local Fire Station and present it to them, as it grows they can spread it around via cuttings and perhaps even sell cuttings to raise funds. That part of the dream has yet to come true but I am working on it. With enormous gratitude for what they do.
It's a happy day :)

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 5, 2011
10:02 PM

Post #8543019

cestrum_SEQ wrote:

PS Can you see that tiny snail at the top right-hand corner of this photo? They are everywhere! Dianne's garden and mine should be designated sister snail gardens!

They have eaten at least half of the buds off my Zabaglione...too tiny to do anything about.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 5, 2011
10:36 PM

Post #8543056

Hooray cestrum...it worked...that looks much neater...

All these great crosses happening everywhere...congrats Jean and cestrum
Every one of mine has pods growing so the initial surprise that I had at finding one pod has worn off. I have tried to pollinate a Pink Panther with pollen from my seedling...it hadn't opened fully so I thought that I would start with that one, because the bees hadn't had the opportunity...I tied it up as per cestrum's instructions, so finger's crossed.

I possibly might have a Clementine x Knightii too...but that is definite maybe...I can't be sure that the stigma was receptive...
I also read that if the stigma was dry, that it could be moistened...anyone tried that?
One thing about my few plants...there are only so many possibilities as pollen donors...
I wouldn't normally have used Knightii for Clementine but they are next to each other under the verandah...so it's just to see if I did it correctly.

Thanks Wayne...I have been going back thru the threads to find them all.

Chrissy, on another forum a grower had a white material wrapped around his enclosure where he kept his young plants, I thought that it was plastic, but he told me that it was frost cloth...he was in Europe so it must work...

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

May 5, 2011
11:31 PM

Post #8543088

Thanks for the tutorial Cestrum...
My head hurts! :)))))

So much to read since I logged in this morning - great to hear everyone's news of pods, pests & pollen!

It looks like we have had success here with three 'Coral Reef' x 'Clementine' pollinations. Three little pods are forming, hope to goodness they hang on! I am hoping from this match for a double tangerine coloured bloom on a compact shrub - time will tell.

Dianne, there are only the two plants that I have registered as cvs (CR & LP#9); the others are just working names at present. All plants were open pollinated so can't offer any help there...

'Coral Reef', 'Love Potion no.9', 'Calamine' and the un-named cream/lemon that throws 50% 6 pointers are from 'Aztec Gold' x noid.
'Mea Culpa', 'Sister Bertrille' & 'Giant' are from 'Pink Panther' x noid.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 6, 2011
12:25 AM

Post #8543114

Coral Reef x Clementine...sounds great Wayne...fingers crossed...
Thanks for your info...

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

May 6, 2011
12:41 AM

Post #8543122

Last autumn flush for LP#9.
This year if the frosts are severe I will try a beach umbrella over the standards. We have a couple of those big market brollies in the shed... will look a bit funny! Oh well. Might draw the line at wrapping the trunks in bubble wrap though. :)

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 6, 2011
1:13 AM

Post #8543129

Beautiful Wayne so sad saying goodbye until Spring isn't it ...still next Spring brings so much to look forward to :)
just look at all the potential crosses.The new Hybrid seeds coming in will bring yet more beauties to sigh over and cross with, something to really get excited about.
It's going to be a long Winter ! though so *memories* and dreams will have to do,

Memories :
Picture is Musketeer (6 pointers) and Elfin Pink Musketeer was almost 50% or more 6 pointers.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 6, 2011
1:15 AM

Post #8543130

Seachanger wrote:Coral Reef x Clementine...sounds great Wayne...fingers crossed...
Thanks for your info...

I wonder if this works? *giggle I was hitting my own quote button instead of the quoters ...giggle yay!!!! thanks cestrum ❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤ ❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤ ❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

May 6, 2011
2:49 PM

Post #8544281

Lovely clear autumn morning here. Brugs all dripping with dew...
Pollen ripe on 'Mea Culpa' - went daubing! :)

'Pink Panther'.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 6, 2011
3:09 PM

Post #8544314

Great work! fingers crossed that Mr Frosty will stay away.

I think putting CR back to PP is a great idea! can't wait to see the result.

memories shot:
seedling from last season.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 6, 2011
6:35 PM

Post #8544704

Last of the Frosty Pinks gobbling up the Lanterns and Hibiscus ...it's a huge tree now.
It's cold in this shady area but warm outside the fence in the sun.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 6, 2011
6:37 PM

Post #8544706

Starting to get some very pale AG ...but I think the frost may finish the blooms off.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 6, 2011
9:00 PM

Post #8544970

I have another 2 seedlings about to flower, will they make it?

It has been a very interesting couple of months, what with my first seedling and the first pod arriving...waiting to see if the buds will open on Fernando and Tantra...they are both very slow and may not open in time...

Next Spring/Summer should see Hyacinth Bouquet, Domain,Birthday Angel and Fire Fighter Angel flower for the first time in my garden...and I am so looking forward to the European seeds budding up, especially the seedlings with Charleston in them...

Alistair's Tantra x Aurea is extremely slow growing here, so next Spring it's going to get a big fertilizer boost...it's such a pretty thing that it's worth persevering with...I thought that would like my weather...but it's very sulky...one in a pot and the other in the ground...the pot grown one is much taller than the one in ground.

This is my Pink Panther that I hope has taken the pollen from my EP x noid-cestrum-1...I am trying to remember to use this system when I refer to my seedlings, so I don't get muddled up...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

May 7, 2011
1:48 PM

Post #8546095

Happy Mother's Day - that goes for Brug as well as bub mothers! :)

Another lovely autumn morning here. The 'Clementine', various aureas and 'Mea Culpa' blooms all blend together with the last of the cannas and our deciduous trees. 'Coral Reef' has ripe pollen this morning, so am hoping to find some receptive stigmas.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 7, 2011
2:03 PM

Post #8546120

What a stunning picture Wayne! good luck with setting lots of pods.
For all the Mums and Mother Figures out there ...have a wonderful day!

My mum with the baby bump that was me on the way ...HAPPY MOTHERS DAY EVERYONE❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤ ❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤ ❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤

Thumbnail by chrissy100

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

May 7, 2011
2:29 PM

Post #8546169

Chrissy!!!:)))))))) I hope you were smiling for the camera!

I cheated with that pic - it was from this time last year (the watermark gives it away - Mea culpa! :)
The Brug is an aurea from Alistair that must be at least five years in the ground. The flushes of bloom are spectacular - the bees go crazy over it. My sister has it growing in her yard overhanging a laneway. Folks walking by often ask what this wonderful plant is.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 7, 2011
2:45 PM

Post #8546192

Wayne , your brug could be a twin of GHA. Goes to show that we were right in saying he was an aurea.
I must admit yours does look spectacular, but maybe after a few more years, GHA will be as large. I just hope that eventually all my others do as well. GHA just keeps flowering , flush after flush. He has done that even when small. It might pay me to look at anything with aurea in its parents to do well here. This photo is from last month, but he is full of buds and flowers again. A little battered by the rain at the time i took the pic.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 7, 2011
10:37 PM

Post #8547033

What a pretty lady, Chrissie...

Wayne, no wonder your sister's neighbours ask about her plant...what a beauty...
They are great growers those Aureas...my $7 one from the market is over 6ft now and Jean's GHA isn't far behind.
If mine and Jean's are the same...is your's one that Alistair hybridised, Wayne...
The three of them might be the Aurea version of Old Apricot...that might be why they are so tough.
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

May 7, 2011
11:00 PM

Post #8547049

Don't know Dianne, best ask him. :)
I purchased ours in 2006. This one grows very tall, 3m +. Always seems to be in bloom!

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 8, 2011
9:27 PM

Post #8548942

Looks very much like GHA Wayne ...I have both too so we will see. Have had seed pods on it ?

What a lovely thing it is ...pretty sure it's almost all, if not completely Aurea.
GHA seed pods.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 8, 2011
9:37 PM

Post #8548950

Chrissy, the pods on my #44 with GHA pollen, look just like those . It seems the aurea influence is strong.
I just had a check on BB. I thought I had a ginormous seedling hidden in behind, but its a large trunk from BB growing from the base of the main trunk and already way up a round 8' high Thats higher than the main flowering trunk. I want to move BB up next to GHA and put both in the ground. I really dont want to do it while they are both flowering so maybe I should wait for spring.
I am watching all the pods closely in case they decide to fall off.
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 8, 2011
10:33 PM

Post #8548991

For sure Jean ...that's wonderful! :) Yes BB can grow very large.
Mine is still in a pot but I think a root has escaped ...as they do.
it's going into the ground in Spring. I was going to do this Autumn but the conditions aren't making me happy.
Winter has come early.
The blessing of cuttings is that you get these lovely straight shoots that will make a perfect trunk for a standard next Spring.
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

May 8, 2011
11:16 PM

Post #8549014

Funny that you should say that Chrissy - We let BB grow from a "Y" cutting until it shrubbed up. Once a strong new leader emerged from the base, the rest of the branches and growth was removed. We have a lovely trunk about 6' high with a nice canopy developing.

Wasn't there some discussion last year or later back regarding the aureas we had? I have two. One from Alistair and one from my sister - both different. The Alistair one was pretty much GHA. Sr.Anne's is a much lighter shade.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 9, 2011
12:30 AM

Post #8549031

The one from your sister is a different shape in the picture ...can't wait to see it bloom here, let's hope the weather is a bit kinder the next growing season. I have one of each known type, but the hail put paid to most of my blooms this year.
When you look at the blooms compared to each other do you see a longer trumpet than GHA and the size? looks like longer tendrils too but pictures are not always reliable.

This message was edited May 9, 2011 6:32 PM

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 9, 2011
4:25 PM

Post #8550662

107 entries and it is only the 9th.
It's great isn't it, plenty to discuss.
My Aurea is in flower now...do they have an individual perfume like the others?
Or do they all smell the same? Wayne, Chrissy.
My Tantra bud hasn't opened yet, neither has Allan's Fernando.
Fernando has taken forever, it seems...probably because I can't wait.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 9, 2011
6:26 PM

Post #8550994

Running late because I had a lot to do for my brother but after that I wandered out into the lovely sunshine after a cold start this morning, I had a close look at my baby Angels and the adult/teens :)

I wanted to see who is loving the colder temps and who are not ...here at my place I was surprises to find that E Pink has finally stopped sulking ...who would have thought that? not me.

Do they have a big spurt now to build up strength for Spring?
Bucks Fizz is going off into a big flush but the leaves are whispering Winter.

The only one I thought had died due to an ants nest (it was just a hollow stick) has now thrown out new leaves from the roots! I was very upset to find that hollow stick and even more upset to find it was an Earth Angel x Sam so in despair I pulled it out of the pot and washed out of the ant nest, eggs and all! completely cleaned off the roots and re potted.
I am so happy to see those leaves come out and will put it somewhere where Mr Frosty won't get at it. I am determined to save my little survivor because it deserves it after that.
So don't give up on what may look like a dead stick, I would have thrown it away if it had not been that particular cross.

That reminds me, just because the day is warm be careful not to overdo the water, the Brugs hate cold wet feet and the nights are getting down there into single digits, we had a 4 the other night and those roots don't need to be wet. Try to water as early in the day as you can so the brugs can suck it up before bed. :)

Dianne you have lovely 6 pointer there ...yes the Aureas do smell the typical Aurea scent (well mine do ) it's a lovely warm honey almond toffee scent, don't forget it's stronger at night but aurea fragrance does hang around quite late in milder temps, sometimes all day but of course slightly lighter than evenings.
Congratulations on your 6 pointed baby ...gotta love them.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 9, 2011
6:30 PM

Post #8551009

Gosh I think I miscounted the points ...oops sorry Dianne but your Aurea is very full and lovely ...maybe a side shot would be a good thing if you can :)
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

May 9, 2011
7:22 PM

Post #8551164

Well everyone, here is the elusive brug. I don't think the camera has captured the orange in the flowers like I saw. The lady said it was supposed to be pink, and to me, the pics here are pink. She said that she bought it from Tesselar's . She told John the name under which it was sold. Can you guess? Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

May 9, 2011
7:25 PM

Post #8551167

another one. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

May 9, 2011
7:29 PM

Post #8551174

The bud that I had here was deep burnt orange with peach tint. That was at Easter time. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 9, 2011
8:06 PM

Post #8551250

That looks like my Sugar Pink cross seedling (I wonder if it is a Sugar Pink cross)...see the long sleeve? looks like Sugar Pink shape with a slight peachy tone.

Is it a smallish bloom colleen?
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

May 9, 2011
8:16 PM

Post #8551267

No, Chrissy, it's a large bloom. . Same shaped as Sugar Pink but much bigger.. Totally different colour that I saw as well. Colleen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 9, 2011
8:18 PM

Post #8551271

I don't know it then although it may be a Bengal Tiger cross. Mind you the crosses with Alphonse Mucha may have given some result like this.
So what did they call it?
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

May 9, 2011
8:25 PM

Post #8551282

Brugmansia Hot Pink. I don't know if this is right but you probably will Chrissy. I have some cuttings that look as though they are going to be okay, but time will tell. John is getting more cuttings this week as she is pruning the bush. He will plant them down there and then bring them up next time he comes up. Colleen
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

May 9, 2011
8:32 PM

Post #8551299

Chrissy if you google Brugmansia hot pink, you will come up with a page with a title called BRUGMANSIA Red Hot Pink. That is more the colour that I saw but still darker. It's a mystery. Colleen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 9, 2011
8:48 PM

Post #8551323

I don't it's hot pink ...ie E.Pink

Looks like a pale version possibly of the one called Red Hot Pink ...I don't know for sure but probably.
If it is it's our M.Pink.
I will see if I can find a link to a picture.
The truth is there is so much confusion in the names ...who knows but if you look at the sleeve (the calyx) you will see that it can't be the known Hot Pink, but the sleeve does look a bit like the other ...so ??? :)

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 9, 2011
8:51 PM

Post #8551332

There you go

http://www.elarishtropicalexotics.com/Plant-Browser.aspx?Group=17
I think it's M.Pink (aka Red Hot Pink) if anything but you can't really tell from a picture.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

May 9, 2011
8:56 PM

Post #8551340

That pic looks like the flower shape but still more peach. We'll see when we flower the cuttings I suppose. Colleen

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 9, 2011
11:00 PM

Post #8551444

Colleen, a friend of mine bought the same one from Tesselars', so I will be interested to see her's next summer, it didn't flower this year the plant was very small and weak, though the other 2 were ok...

The way that they change colour according to conditions, unless they have something distinctive about them, I find that it's very difficult to ID them...If Pink Panther didn't have that furry calyx and I saw him in Autumn, I wouldn't recognize him...he's salmon pink at the moment...nothing like the beautiful pale pink.

Chrissy, what is that beautiful yellow 6 pointer, Butterbomb?

Here is a side on view of my Aurea, 5 points on this...look at all the snail damage.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

May 9, 2011
11:30 PM

Post #8551466

Seachanger wrote:
My Aurea is in flower now...do they have an individual perfume like the others?
Or do they all smell the same? Wayne, Chrissy.

Dianne, I get a really strong honey fragrance. My sense of smell is not very good; however I also get a waft of aniseed mixed in with the honey...
Sounds like a desert wine! :)

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

May 9, 2011
11:55 PM

Post #8551495

Dianne, this my Aztec Gold X with his 6 points. He has a lovely halo of flowers about 7' high. I'm going to keep this one too. As you can see, my camera works. Whooopppeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!! Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 10, 2011
12:06 AM

Post #8551498

No aniseed in GHA at all ...so they may be of a different mix of genes, the closest brug to a hint of aniseed is perhaps Clementine but really a more pine/herbal drop. (to my nose ).

Isn't that interesting?
I find Clementine is the most unique fragrance so far because of that, the other very different one is Arborea, they both share a certain zestiness in their fragrance.

I hope your "different Aurea" perhaps shares that trait, how wonderful!
I agree Wayne The Brugs can look so very different it's amazing.

But you know lots of blooms can, just look at some of the Hibiscus, some of my pinks turn red in cooler weather, the lanterns deepen, even the hot coral boges turn almost scarlet. I guess our cheeks and noses turn red on cold days too :)

That's why it's so good to look around at the blooms in different conditions.

Well done Dianne and Colleen,
much appreciated.
Hope you don't mind Colleen but I swung your photo around for a better look here it is.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 10, 2011
12:15 AM

Post #8551500

Nice pic of your cross Colleen ...nice shape and to have 6 pointers is always fun ...yes I wanted to show the BB with 6 points ...it was my first ever sight of him.

At the time I didn't even know about "points" I was just shocked at the size of this big beautiful bloom, then further along came 7 pointers quite a few in each flush. It seems to be a trait for sure.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 10, 2011
7:58 PM

Post #8553657

Hello everyone. Raining here which is good but the weeds are having a great time.
A question if I may //
BB has a tall and straight new trunk which has reached about 8' or so. When do you advise me to cut my brugs back or should I let them go through winter ? I would like to pot the straight trunk to encourage as a standard. Need I cut some off or just plant as is ? I would stake it of course.
My other brugs are all getting to the 5'- 6 'mark now and I would hate to lose them again to frost and cold. I have as many as I can under shadecloth and can throw some over most of the others so maybe they will survive bar losing leaves , which they are going to do anyway.
On scent of GHA , I find him very honey scented and to my nose, BB is the same. They both have the scent stay around most of the day.
I will be interested to see them both growing next to each other when I drop them into the ground. I would assume spring is the best time for this.
I just hope BB doesnt scare GHA with those much larger blooms.
On other brugs, my salvaged cutting from the poor old shrivelled double white in Portland Gardens is finally getting some height , now around 4 1/2 foot . I am hoping for a Y next season.
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 10, 2011
10:50 PM

Post #8553905

Jean how did they go last Winter?

If you don't get Snow and the Frost does not stay all night and into the morning in a prolonged way ...the Brugs should survive ok ...can't guarantee the above the ground ones will remain in tact though.

Mine were like Green sticks in the exposed areas, some worse than others ...I was away down Junee for many weeks at the coldest part of the Winter (down there the heavy frosts would come before midnight and stay until about 9/10 in the morning.)
so I don't know how bad the frosts really were apart from hubby telling me there were frosts, I think Junee is generally quite cooler though.

I am not the best one to give you advice ...only what I would do ...that is take a couple of cuttings of anything you may feel is in danger, and leave the plants in tact. Light fluffy mulch around them (not touching trunks) and just hope the ground does not freeze.
Even if there is just one bit of white root left the plant will re sprout.
Anyone who thinks their plant or seedling is dead check for the white roots surviving underneath.

Random shot: Zabaglione Spring time.
Remember to harden your plants off now ...ease up on any manure and water so as to toughen them up for the Winter.

I got quite a surprise to find yet more PP pods coming on via that velvety moth (I presume) ...quite a surprise to find a calyx full of a pod when you are tidying up, I have come to the conclusion that she is a very fertile Brug and the only one besides FP that does get open pollinated blooms here in my garden. I am hoping for 2 on TT ...none on FFA as it's too tall to reach.

Good luck Jean ...at least you are safe while it's raining.Watch out when the night is still ...right now we have icy wind blowing the Autumn leaves away early, such a shame because they are so pretty.
Can't help but wonder what Winter holds for us after such unrest in Mother Nature ...I sure hope she has worn herself out.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 10, 2011
11:09 PM

Post #8553916

Oh I forgot to say that I could detect a minty note in Buck's Fizz this morning ...first time! maybe it's the cold that triggered it, minty Aurea fragrance hmmm I wonder where that "minty note comes from?" minty fragrance was described in Star Dancer.
Interesting ...all the Star Dancer seedlings have bloomed like mini S.whites so far except for one double that surely must be incorrect.
Who ever has a Brug bloom or nice pod ...please start the next thread ...maybe time to call it Winter Brugmansia or something like that. :-)

odd random shot

Thumbnail by chrissy100

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

May 10, 2011
11:29 PM

Post #8553920

77sunset wrote:
BB has a tall and straight new trunk which has reached about 8' or so. When do you advise me to cut my brugs back or should I let them go through winter ? I would like to pot the straight trunk to encourage as a standard. Need I cut some off or just plant as is ? I would stake it of course.
Jean.

Hi Jean. About two months ago, we decided to go with a standard BB, with much the same trunk you have described. We removed all branches from the base other than the "standard" trunk. In a pre-prepared hole, with a heavy duty tomato stake already positioned, we lifted BB and transplanted, tying it off for support with budding tape. The plant was well watered in and has not looked back.
This is a bit different to your question, I know... Just thought I would mention it. I would not recommend you doing this now Jean. If you do decide to create your standard this way, I would wait until spring.
As for big trunk cuttings...
We have had Brugs shoot up from "logs" left in a heap to be chipped! However, every attempt that I have made to ever strike a standard has failed. Generally, we wait for a good strong, straight un-Yed leader to emerge, and then go for it as described.
Good luck!
PS We took cuttings that have made lots of roots in the bucket we bunged them into. I had best get them potted up.
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

May 10, 2011
11:36 PM

Post #8553923

Here it is...
'Butter Bomb' - instant standard! :)

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 11, 2011
2:39 PM

Post #8555296

Thanks for all the advice Chrissy and Wayne.
Wayne, you make me feel silly. I was thinking of removing the straight piece from BB and making it into a standard cutting when all the time I should have been thinking like you and keeping it as the main plant while removing the side branches.
Thats exactly what I will do. All the branches now in flower will make lovely small cuttings.
Chrissy, last year we had some awful frosts and that whole week of temps never getting above 6C.
Usually the frosts are not too bad so I am hoping for a milder year.
Most of my angels are under either shadecloth or the large cypress tree which should protect them a bit. There are a couple that are just outside the s/c but I can throw a bit over them. I still have some out in the ground which will have to make the best of things.
GHA is under part of a gum tree and usually is okay. I am not watering or fertilising at all now as the rain keeps them moist .
It seems from all the growth, that they are enjoying this cold. Aside from a yellow leaf here and there they are large. I would say they have grown at least a foot in the past month.
In other winters, most lose their leaves but thats all. Last years cold burnt even the bark from the trunks of those in the open.
I find that here, even without frosts, very low temps will do a lot of damage.
I know how they feel too because I dont like prolonged cold either.
Better go and see who is in the Tea Room
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 11, 2011
9:58 PM

Post #8556892

Jean I have grown a tall shoot into a standard but it was under interesting conditions ...warm wet weather and in strong shade.

I made sure I could see lots of happy nubs and the shoot was nice and strong (over an inch in diameter).

I removed all the leaves except a couple right at the top, sunk it into pure washed river sand.

It never missed a beat and seemed to grow as though it was still in the ground.
Here it is a week later replacing the stripped leaves and growing ...I guess a stake would not have hurt it but it was in a sheltered position and I had not thought of it. It's now a 12ft high Sugar Pink tree.

I wouldn't ever try this in any other sort of conditions, but it was so easy I got a surprise, I think you need washed river sand to do it but I haven't tried it in any other medium, so warm, wet, and shady I think is the key (not in windy weather either).

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 11, 2011
10:06 PM

Post #8556894

Oh and I forgot ...make sure you try this with vigorous growers, others may not work ...I must try this again next warm wet weather day in Spring/Summer (that's if we ever have one again) :)

random pic from bygone blooms

Thumbnail by chrissy100

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

May 11, 2011
11:12 PM

Post #8556955

Girls I did this with 1 piece of Brian's Elfin Pink and his RFP. The pieces were about 4' long and 1- 11/4" thick.I put them in 14" tubs in ordinary potting mix that I use for all the brugs. Brian said at the time, "Do you reckon they will grow like that?" and I replied I didn't know but I thought that it was a good thing to try with such big pieces. Well they are both now 10-12' high and both flowering. I will cut them back after winter and try to get a better, thicker, looking umberella going. Colleen
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

May 11, 2011
11:51 PM

Post #8556966

Good luck with that Jean, Brugs trained as standards are fun!
We were first inspired to try this method by a gardening friend who took up the lease on a hugely overgrown historic home here in Sydney some years back. The Brugs there were delicately pruned with a chainsaw! Once a strong vertical shoot emerged from the sawn off base, training commenced. Our old Knightii here got the chainsaw treatment and has never looked back. The base has to be nine or more inches in diameter. Apart from the 'Butter Bomb' plant described above, our next most recent Brug in training is 'Love Potion no.9'. This poor plant was frosted last winter. It rotted to the ground and I was really concerned as it was the seedling, one and only of its type!
By far the most spectacular standard we have ever grown has been 'Old Apricot'. I say this because of the massive repeat flushes this old favourite has. It grows so well in tree form, that I find it hard to imagine growing it any other way.
PS Jean, you might have wondered why we dug up the 'Butter Bomb' plant and moved it...
That was to make way for a new standard of 'Old Apricot'. This one is grown from plant material taken from the friend's garden mentioned above. The original plant (in the pic) was wiped out by a shocker of a frost years back when our garden was quite new.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

May 11, 2011
11:54 PM

Post #8556967

Looking up into 'Old Apricot'.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

May 11, 2011

Post #8556968

One more...

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

May 11, 2011

Post #8556969

OK, last one! :)

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 12, 2011
1:02 AM

Post #8556988

Please start the next one Wayne :) one of those gorgeous pics of OA please ...love it!
77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 12, 2011
2:46 PM

Post #8558512

Thank you Wayne. I will absorb all your helpful tips and look forward to spring when I can be chopping about madly on the angels.
Jean
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

May 12, 2011
10:51 PM

Post #8559410

Continue to:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1181053/

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Australian and New Zealand Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the new Australian Gardening forum Terry 28 Oct 21, 2009 10:20 AM
Where are you in AU . holty 219 Aug 22, 2014 8:21 PM
soap tree aka 'Sapindus Mukorossis' is it available in aus'? gardenlen 15 Jul 18, 2013 2:22 AM
bromeliad-blanchetiana ? boofhead 7 Dec 30, 2011 7:42 PM
What you don`t want to see in your garden. ginger749 93 Sep 5, 2007 9:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America