AuthorContent
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

May 1, 2011
7:20 PM

Post #8533349

Hello everyone,

We plan to make seed balls for a weedy field next to my daughter's house where the builder went bankrupt and now the land will just sit there for who knows how long.

What I'm wondering is this: we have purchased nice quantities of 4 plants that are native to Missouri. Should I mix them, or make balls that have just one kind of seeds each? If a larger plant and a small plant both come up near each other, will the larger plant smother the small? We plan to brush hog the field before we put out the seed balls. There are ruts and bumps that should catch the balls.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated!

Ossian, IN
(Zone 5a)

May 2, 2011
4:51 PM

Post #8535403

Most of the time, seed balls are sold as "mixtures" of wildflowers. However, if you want clumps of a certain color, then you could just put one type of seed in each ball. Also, since the seeds you will be planting (or throwing:), are natives, then they're probably tougher than your average plant. As a result, there are always PLENTY of native wildflowers around, and you may not need to worry about plants smothering each other since seeds often sprout right next to each other in nature. I hope this helps!
Happy Gardening!
Ella
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

May 2, 2011
5:04 PM

Post #8535435

Thanks Ella, maybe I'll do some of each way.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America