Hard to believe how time has flown, but the16th DG annual photo contest has begun! Find the details here. Best wishes to all the entrants!!!

Water Lillies in an Aquarium

Mesilla Park, NM

Has anyone grown water lillies in Aquariums? I've purchased 4 hardy waterlillies and plan to put them into two aquariums, one is a 55 gallon and one is a 35 gallon aquarium. I have the gravel for the bottom, the lights, plants, and heaters, but I don't know if I need a pump of some type for oxygen and do I need a filter, I'm worried about mosquitos laying eggs. Or do I even have to worry about that if the water isn't moving? If they are indoors, maybe I won't get mosquitos, I just don't know.

The other thing is we have well water, but, we have a water softening system and I don't know if the salts used in there affect the water, and do I need to use some water conditioners in there?

Right now I've got the new plants/bulbs soaking in a kitty litter bucket till I put the gravel and water in the aquariums. I also want to add some other water plants if I can get a hold of some other types. There will be two water lillies in each tank and I think that I can get a couple of others in there.

If anyone can help me, I really appreciate your help here. I tried growing them two years ago in containers outdoors, but, there were mosquitos and I used those mosquito donuts and I think they were too strong for the containers and they killed my waterlillies, (or I think that was the cause).

Thank you for your help.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.