Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Fiddleheads!!!: fiddlehead danger

Communities > Forums > Article: Fiddleheads!!!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Fiddleheads!!!Replies: 2, Views: 37
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
burien_gardener
Burien (SW Seattle), WA
(Zone 8b)

May 3, 2011
2:34 AM

Post #8536180

My experience is that few people are likely to behave properly in the collection of fiddleheads from the wild. Most people seem to take the scorched earth approach: leaving nothing behind. We seen that in the Seattle area with the decimation of wild mushrooms.

In my Japanese foster family, we gathered the fiddleheads of bracken every spring. They made quite a delicacy. Taking bracken fiddleheads didn't stop this weed from it's journey towoard world conquest.

However, most of our ferns but out fronds but once a year. They are not "cut and come again" plants. Just breaking a new fiddlehead on one of my garden ferns is painful to me.

I don't eat my garden ferns and I don't forage in the wild -- there is too little wild left to support the hordes of our bi-pedal population.
enyeholt
Village of Port Clem
Canada

May 5, 2011
9:10 AM

Post #8541424

I live on haida gwaii... Northern B.C. I note you said you can eat bracken fern fiddleheads... the original article says Ostrich Fern only. We have zillions of Bracken Fern here, but I have been unaware that I could try them.
NordicFletch
Stanchfield, MN

May 8, 2011
1:02 AM

Post #8547077

Bracken fern may be edible, but Ostrich fern is superior to bracken. Plus, Ostrich fern is a lot easier to identify -- because of the groove that happens to run the length of the stalk.

As for those who will take all of the plants that happen to be in the area those people are "working" -- when you see them, just tell them that taking everything and leaving nothing behind is not only "bad form" (it leaves nothing for the next year's harvest, period), it is rude and shows them to be nothing but greedy pigs.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Fiddleheads!!! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Fiddleheads AYankeeCat 17 May 8, 2011 1:41 AM
Fiddlehead hunting nnwwhh 2 May 8, 2011 1:12 AM
Fiddlehead Flavor(s) NordicFletch 1 May 19, 2011 3:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America