Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Morning Glories: narrow spectrum led grow lights

Communities > Forums > Morning Glories
bookmark
Forum: Morning GloriesReplies: 11, Views: 81
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
FLChilders
Clatskanie, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 3, 2011
2:00 PM

Post #8537398

http://www.thelashop.com/gardening-equipment-led-grow-lights/

Do any of you have any experience with this type of new grow lights? They are light emmiting diode
type lights that emit a narrow spectrum in the blue range and in the red range. They use less power because they are led, and they are narrow spectrum. They do not produce the wavelengths that burn the leaves, and they don't put off lots of heat. The red lights are for the plants blooming on short days, which would include the nhils. I am wondering if we could graft nhil cuttings onto battatus rootstocks, put them back under long day light and bloom the one of a kind beauty one more year. Think about this. You grow out some precious seeds this summer. You also get some sweet potatoe rootstocks ready for this fall. You carry your grafts through the winter and
get a second crop of f1 seeds next year. This notion has many possibilities. Especially for those who can grow them inside too. The great possibility here is that you can grow a yard full of nhils, and be extremely picky about what to save and graft.
Anybody using these lights now??? Frank
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 4, 2011
7:27 PM

Post #8540422

Frank - I have 4 shop lights for my indoor set-up. One set of lights per shelf. Each light fixture requires two 4' florescent light tubes. On one shelving unit, I am using 1 grow light and one bright daylight florescent tube in each of the two shop lights. And on the other shelving unit, I am using all bright daylight florescent tubes. They are cool lights, but do generate some heat. I have not noticed any difference in growth between the grow lights and the regular daylight florescent lights. So I have decided when the time comes to replace any burned out florescent tubes, that I will use the cheaper daylight ones.

Also, I live in Florida and it is pretty warm in the room I am growing these vines regardless of what season it is. I do believe that the warmer temps help promote growth of my vines. The one thing that I am very careful about ... I do not over water any of the vines. Root rot can be an issue if I am not careful.
FLChilders
Clatskanie, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 4, 2011
8:03 PM

Post #8540486

Thanks for posting this information. I thought of the blooming of the stictocardia in such a short time as being a breadthrough, and you might have done something new.

These new light emiting diode lights, produce light in 2 narrow spectrum ranges, red and blue, and this has me very excited because, the red ones might be able to induce early blooming, in short day species. Short day meaning here late summer or fall blooming.
more on this later...FC
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 4, 2011
8:16 PM

Post #8540505

Frank - I personally believe the early blooming is because of my fertilizing with Bloom Booster! I get early blooms on most all my plants (not just MGs) and I do believe it has to do more with the fertilizer than just about anything else. I know that heat also plays an important role. Lighting as well, but using different lighting hasn't seemed to affect the plants as much as the fertilizer. MGs bloomed for me in the south window during Winter months two years ago. (I didn't use artificial lighting then.) So ...
FLChilders
Clatskanie, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 5, 2011
1:51 AM

Post #8540721

I have been toying with the Idea for years that you could develop a string of LED Xmas lights, with a narrow spectrum, for years. Now I am seeing them at xmas, but not yet with horticultural wavelengths.

Hydroponic suppliers are now offering lamps that look like a heat lamp, and they screw into a regular light socket. They are made up of blue wavelength or a majority red wavelength. They are around $40. I haven't taken the plunge yet, but am still drueling over them.

Like fertilizer, temp, moisture, photoperiod, wavelength also influences the reproductive cycle. I believe that the red wave length photo period, coming in late summer,, is the most intense red period of the year. I am also anxious to see if the red spectrum can increase the blossom output,and make for a longer bloom season. If so, it might mean more seeds. It also might enhance the chances of blooming something for the first time.

Also, the term "short day" has different meanings. If you are planting onion sets,
short day means that the bulbs begin to fatten up when the photoperiod reaches 12
hours in the spring.
But it generally means bloom initiation when short days return, following the growing season .
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

May 5, 2011
8:41 PM

Post #8542914

Hey Frank, you changed your DG name, your old one is still in the system? What happened?
FLChilders
Clatskanie, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 6, 2011
1:52 AM

Post #8543144

I didn't really change. They asked my identity, I gave it and that is what they used. I never have used nicknames. I don't even remember the old one. Frank
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

May 6, 2011
6:47 AM

Post #8543440

Your old one is fchilders. No nickname, it is almost identical, I found out when I tried to respond to an old dmail you sent and I noticed you were no longer a member, so that is how I noticed, because you wouldn't have been able to post here if that was the case.

Frank, you should let Admin know about your two memberships, there have been people that are banned known to use others passwords to get into DG and cause problems. You wouldn't want that to happen. You should have one of them deleted.

Edited to say: you should have one of them deleted.

This message was edited May 6, 2011 8:33 AM
FLChilders
Clatskanie, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 6, 2011
8:02 AM

Post #8543597

Oh. My old computer crashed, so DG couldn't notify me when dues were due. I just let it slide. I have so many interests, and many other distractions. Frank
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

May 6, 2011
8:22 AM

Post #8543657

I know the feeling, me too, I was gone a long time, but this is something that they can compromise if you don't take care of it. You never know who is following you around and stealing your passwords.
FLChilders
Clatskanie, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 6, 2011
12:14 PM

Post #8544059

I didn't think this place was that full of spooks. lol Why would they keep your password, and your id this long after your membership expired??? Oh well, if they do, they do.
I'll get around to admin, if I find out how. Thanks for the tip.
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

May 7, 2011
6:55 AM

Post #8545414

Well, hopefully one of them isn't using your password with or without your permission. And you are VERY welcome for the tip.

Happy Mother's Day!

This message was edited May 7, 2011 8:09 AM

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Morning Glories Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Wild Morning Glory. poppysue 12 Feb 9, 2012 10:32 PM
Help! Teens making MG tea. ? getting high! help mingsmimi 5 Jul 18, 2009 4:33 PM
Now ain't that purdy?! (Morning Glory pic) Seedsower 48 Mar 9, 2007 10:29 AM
Ipomoea Seeds 101 QueenB 27 Nov 19, 2008 1:03 PM
Wild Potato Vine - Need help with pollenation KevinTernes 22 Aug 22, 2007 10:39 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America