-
AuthorContent
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

May 3, 2011
4:03 PM

Post #8537654

I have a Gateway w Windows Vista and I just bought an HP with Windows 7.
I would like to copy and put the photos that are on the Gateway on the HP, but I don't want to remove them from the Gateway.
Is there some way I can hook the two together so I can transfer the pictures?
I don't have internet hooked up to the HP, but I do on the Gateway (the one I am using)
I am giving the HP to my mom and I want her to have copies of the pics I have, kids, flowers ect.
I am not very technologically blessed I am afraid, so looking for some easy step instructions if someone can help me
thank you

hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 3, 2011
6:02 PM

Post #8537896

Here is what you need to do in a nutshell

Connect an ethernet cable between both computers
Assign IP addresses to both (same network like xxx.yyy.zzz.nnn) For example one computer might be 192.168.1.2 and the other 192.168.1.3. Use a netmask of 255.255.255.0. No gateway is needed in this case.
Share your photo folder on the computer with the pictures on it
Map a drive or browse to the shared folder from the computer you want to receive the pictures
Then drag and drop the folder where you want it to go or Copy and Paste the folder.

An easier method is to copy the pictures from the first computer to an external hard drive, then disconnect the hard drive and connect it to the other computer and copy the pictures from the EHD to the other computer.

FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

May 3, 2011
6:15 PM

Post #8537922

I have hundreds of photos in high resolution, can I use the external hard drive?
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 3, 2011
7:22 PM

Post #8538136

You sure can. The only thing that matters is how many pictures you have (total size) and how much room you have on the external drive. If you don't have enough room then you will have to do it in several steps. EHDs are inexpensive and very large nowadays. Always good to back up the entire drive to an EHD (or two).
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

May 3, 2011
7:28 PM

Post #8538158

ok thanks! I will look into that and see if I have something around here...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Electronics Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Apple Ipod Nano Gwendalou 5 May 16, 2007 5:22 PM
Need Circuit Help Marth164 2 Oct 17, 2007 2:25 PM
e-S/W CKT help chacha1234 5 Oct 17, 2007 2:18 PM
MP3 advice anastatia 3 Mar 3, 2007 9:35 AM
DISH remote? anastatia 2 May 5, 2007 8:04 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America