Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Mosaics and Stained Glass: My mirror

Communities > Forums > Mosaics and Stained Glass
bookmark
Forum: Mosaics and Stained GlassReplies: 10, Views: 183
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gr8cayte
Round Rock, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 3, 2011
8:02 PM

Post #8538260

Hi all!

I guess it's about time I contributed to this forum instead of just lurking and commenting on all of your great mosaic projects. And since I'm way to lazy you'll only get pictures not how tos.

This is my mirror. I finished it hmmm, maybe two years ago after taking a looooong time. I got all the glass blobs and tile on pretty quickly. But then came the grouting. I had some grout left over from a tile job I did so used it. It was fine til I realized one of the two boxes of grout was older and a different batch number. Important to know if you want the colors to match.

Mine didn't. Same color, different batch # = panic!! I discovered this after I used up the first box and while mixing up the second box. I started spreading box two on only to discover it didn't match!! I frantically starting removing the grout from the first batch before it solidified. No easy feat I tell you! I was mostly successful but there were spots here and there where the grout stuck and I pulled off tiles along with it. GRRRR

Lesson learned--but I was so mad I put the whole (blankity blank blank) thing in a spot out of sight (meaning behind the couch, no one ever looks behind the couch ever).

Two years passed before my mosaicy mojo decided to come back. But once it did I went out and bought a BIG tub of grout insuring that I would have enough of the same color to finish my mirror and that I would never run out (at least for this project).

So here it is. Measures about 18" across and weighs a ton. But it's done and I like it.

^_^

Heather
(or Cayte)

Thumbnail by gr8cayte
Click the image for an enlarged view.

gr8cayte
Round Rock, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 3, 2011
8:03 PM

Post #8538263

Better picture (I hope). ^_^

Thumbnail by gr8cayte

catzgalore

catzgalore
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 3, 2011
8:05 PM

Post #8538270

LOVE it!! Wonderful job :)
gr8cayte
Round Rock, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 3, 2011
8:46 PM

Post #8538413

Thank you! I'm going to put up my fireplace surround as soon as I can get a pic. ^_^

Heather
mableruth
Bolingbrook, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 4, 2011
7:27 AM

Post #8539009

gr8cayte - I love that mirror. The pearls worked perfectly. I never thought of using pearls but I just got a bunch of tiles that are the small size like yours. That is a large mirror! Maybe it would be a good birthday present for one of my daughters. They are all adults but I do not want togive them anything too practical, like new pans or a new microwave. The mirror is practical but not something they really need. Something they would not buy for themselves. Thank you for posting the picture.
curvesarein
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7b)

May 10, 2011
10:00 AM

Post #8552229

Heather,
it is great! I have a butterfly teacup like that, bought 3 for $2.00 at a yard sale. I like the way it reflects your dishes on the opposite wall. How long did it set up before you could wipe all the film off without taking the grout? I just posted my first mosaic in a new thread.

Thumbnail by curvesarein

swalt
Dallas, OR

November 18, 2012
11:14 AM

Post #9336266

Hi, Your mirror is beautiful. I noticed you grouted right on the edges of the mirror. I am having trouble grouting around a mirror. I scratch the mirror with the grout. What can I do to keep from scratching the mirror?
gr8cayte
Round Rock, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 19, 2012
8:41 AM

Post #9337096

Thank you! I taped the mirror with masking tape before I grouted it. Worked great! That blue painters tape would work too. Good luck! ^_^

Heather

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

November 23, 2012
9:18 PM

Post #9340980

I love your mirror, you did a great job!!
gr8cayte
Round Rock, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 1, 2013
7:45 PM

Post #9372791

Thank you Sundownr!

^_^
Nickel_Treasure
Franklin, WI

January 9, 2013
11:41 AM

Post #9380167

I like the mirror. I can see you put a lot of time in the details. Very creative!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Mosaics and Stained Glass Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
I'm trying stained glass mosaics without grout! luckygardnr 14 Aug 23, 2012 3:05 PM
How is your shop set up? SandiTX 26 Aug 3, 2009 4:15 AM
Show us all your bowling balls! luckygardnr 273 Aug 27, 2014 6:35 PM
A Demonstration: Breaking Properties of Tempered Glass scooterbug 10 Aug 28, 2007 4:50 AM
Glass painting Vee8ch 3 Dec 12, 2007 3:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America