-
AuthorContent
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

May 4, 2011
9:44 AM

Post #8539202

I have taken the liberty of starting this thread, it's so nice to see old friends dropping by for a chat! I love to keep up with everyone and hear about what is going on in their world. Hopefully we will make some new friends too...

So very happy to hear that you are home safely Katie, and that the brace is making a difference. Don't go and overdo now just because you are getting some relief! My hat is off to you making that long trip up the Baja all the way to California and back on your own. Any trouble or hold ups at the border this time?

Christi - have you got most of your MIL's stuff sorted out? Did you sell her house? It will be a relief for you not to have to make that long trip to see to things...is she still as honery as ever, or has she accepted the fact that she can't run that big place on her own?

Nice to hear your news Pepper - Spring is just around the corner and you will be able to get outside into your garden. What are you planning on growing this year?

We had a very noisy thunderstorm two nights ago and although there was a lot of thunder and lightning flashing out at sea we only had a sprinkle of rain from it - I believe Oahu really got drenched and a waterspout was spotted. We don't get thunderstorms very often here.

Right now my Mother is going crazy because the Monkey Pod tree is dropping all of it's seed pods all over the driveway. Mom hates this tree for 6 weeks every year because she has elected herself the picker-uper of the pods - especially before we run over them in the cars and they stick to the ground like glue. They drop down right behind her back, and if we don't get them picked up every single one germinates 5 or 6 trees in a flash! One of the most prolific trees I have ever come across except maybe the the Kiave, which is a type of mesquite I think.

We have just seen in the paper that my area is going to be the test area for a green waste pick up. Thank goodness because, even though it is only going to pick up every other week, it will be fewer trips to the green waste facility at the dump. We produce such a huge amout of trimmings, etc - far too much for my compost pit to cope with. Of course it's not going to start until after the Monkey Pod tree has given up all of it's gifts!

Have a good day everyone!

katiebear
mulege
Mexico

May 4, 2011
10:08 AM

Post #8539249

Jenn, Thanks for starting this thread.

I came through to Mexico at Otey Mesa and had no problems. I was pulled over but let go quickkly. I took my time coming home as I was tired. Very uneventful trip - my favorite kind. I am now recuperating. I have a slight cold and need to rest up - the trip is tiring. However, my foot is so much better that is was worth it. I'm still having a little trouble sleeping with the cast on my foot -= and five dogs - but I' getting used to it.

My fifth dog, Scout, belongs to my friends Jon and Sharon who are both in the States now. They adopted Scout from me several years ago and she still remembers me and is getting along OK with my four. A little jealosy but no blood - just a few growls and snaps.

I just got my T R Hovey papaya potted up. Got it and three low chill blueberries from Logees. Still have to do the blueberries but they are looking fine in their current pats.

Tony washed a LOT of the plastic containers I use for seed starting yesterday. I brought bck lots of seeds.

My schotia tree is finishing its blooming. So many birds flock to it that it's like I'm living in an aviary. Once or twice a week we have to catch a bird that has flown into the house and can't find its way out.

We are still doing what seems like endless clean-up and finishing of the house. My favorite word is "permanent" as we gradually find homes for things. Sorting out stuff to send to Tony's wife and her family.

Think I need a nap.

hugs, katie
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 4, 2011
10:53 AM

Post #8539363

Seems as though we are all extra busy. Yes, we actually got a contract on the house about 2 months ago. Buyer came to us. Surprise of all. We expected 4-5 years to sell it. Mike's mother had put the house into a trust back in the day when they had a business and lots of liability. It is taking forever to sort it out. Seems she made some changes AFTER her husband died in 2000...on her own...without a lawyer. Not allowed. We had to hire a trust lawyer. Still don't know what that is going to cost. Only 1 out of a 100 will even touch a trust. We think every week that this will be the one when we close. Still have one more truck load of "stuff" to move from the house. We had a sale there with little luck. Gave away as much as we could. Have brought several loads here so we may have another sale. If it were me, I would give it all to charity. I don't have any say...just the assignment to do it.

Beautiful day here and I have discovered two more brugs that have "come back". The two I loved the most, I put in pots and in the greenhouse. Every single thing in the gh froze with two continuous days of 16 degrees. Heaters could not keep up. The ones I left in the ground disappeared but are now coming up from the roots. Can't win. Have some 9 plumies potted and they are stunted because they really need to be in the ground. May try planting out a couple and then dig them in the fall. I know without a doubt that they would not survive 16 degrees. Two are about to bloom now.

Thank you for the chat thread, Jen. Can ya'll think of others we have missed that we might want to invite? I can think of two or three.

Love each of you very much.

PK

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 4, 2011
5:36 PM

Post #8540190

Aloha, Bonjour, Howdy, Hola my friends!

What a wonderful idea to start this Coconut wireless chat thread. Mahalo, Jen.

Gail and I are doing very well. I have been gardening and keeping busy. My house has become Adenium Obesum central. It started innocently enough, as these stories always start. I was visiting houses for a foreign client when I came across this abandonned adenium obesum sitting in a broken down plastic pot. It hadn't seen any care since the Kennedy administration. I offered $10 for it and the owner agreed. When I opened my wallet, I only had $6 on me. No matter, they wanted to get rid of it, so $6 sealed the deal. When I got home, I showed Gail and she had a fit because she would have been ashamed to put it in a green bag and drag it to the curb on trash pick-up day. It quickly became one of her favorite plants. Then, I managed to buy an adenium obesum that belonged to one of our dearly departed gardening friends (Giancarlo, aka Armando). We were then up to 2 desert roses. On my birthday, a friend of mind told me about this house that the county was going to buldoze over because it had become an unsafe structure and home to a small army of squatters. A sign on the lawn said to walk around and dig up anything we wanted. And that is how I became the proud owner of 2 more full-grown adenium obesum specimens. I have managed to start 2 from seeds and I bought one from a store. So, I now have 7 of those caudiciforms. They are highly addictive. Here is a picture of one of the rescued plants, along with a blue ceramic pot that was laying there, used as a garbage can.

Sylvain.

Thumbnail by lourspolaire
Click the image for an enlarged view.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 4, 2011
5:37 PM

Post #8540197

Also, I planted a lotus bucket mid-February. They grew and grew and on Easter day, I was rewarded with this awesome bloom. Another bloom should open tomorrow morning.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 4, 2011
6:06 PM

Post #8540257

I love your rescued desert roses!! I have one that I got from Wally World on clearance last year. Hasn't bloomed since winter but now that it's warming up I'm gonna find a bigger pot for it and let it spread it's roots some more. It has dark pink blooms on it. Not too happy right now with me cause it's cold at night and really nice during the day so it's outside. lol. It needs to develop thicker skin if it's gonna live with me. lol

I've been working the greenhouse at work now that spring is here. We've had a warm up the last couple days and have just about been wiped out. Luckily more plants coming tomorrow.

My own veggie garden will have 12 tomatoes- Beefmaster and Mr.Stripey, 6 bell peppers, 1 cucumber, 1 or 2 yellow squash and if I have room for more stuff I'll figure something out. lol. I'm also doing herbs in a pot but gotta wait til we get my nephew for a day and have him help me plant them. This way he can pick the leaves and eat them all he wants. lol. Got licorice basil, lemon basil, sweet basil, sage, and peppermint. Oh and purple basil. I might be missing one or two but that's most of them. He's 3 and is curious as can be. So curious that if I am weeding a bed he tramples right thru all my plants to see what I'm doing and to help. LOL. I jus sigh and hope my plants are hardy enough they can handle it. lol.

Christi, did you have to mention plumeria? LOL. I've been trying to think of ways to convince a cousin who is stationed down in Hawaii to bring one back for me next time he's on leave. Legally of course. lol. It's been my plant dream all winter. I'm trying to think of a spring one now. lol

Thanks for the new thread Jen!! It's great talking to everyone over here again.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 4, 2011
6:21 PM

Post #8540284

Haven't downloaded the pictures yet and don't really know how to get them posted since I bought this imac. However, this afternoon my neighbor discovered a swarm of honey bees working their way around a limb in her magnolia tree. Checked the internet for a beekeeper and a young man came out to collect them. Another experience of holy ground. He brought a rubbermaid tote and his protective gear with a ladder. Scooped them into the tote. Looked for the queen (she is larger than the others) put her in a clear water bottle. Punched holes in it and her pheromones called the worker bees and the drones into the tote with her. Made a big neighborhood experience. Three years ago we had Monarch butterflies by the thousands spend the night in our combined yards. Then we had not one, but two, Luna moths. These things are not common and seldom seen. God has blessed us once again. Yay!!! Love your blooms, Pu'ole.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 4, 2011
6:23 PM

Post #8540287

Some years ago I had the great idea of getting us all together. Regional Ru's are common. I want all of you to come to MY home. It would be absolutely Heaven on Earth.

Princess Kilikina

PS> You're the only ones that understand my alias.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 4, 2011
6:25 PM

Post #8540292

Anyone know how to find Randy Judd?
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 4, 2011
7:30 PM

Post #8540426

Check cubits maybe or facebook. I thought I had seen him posting a few times here on DG not too long ago but may be thinking of someone else.
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

May 5, 2011
9:37 AM

Post #8541464

Aloha everyone.

Great to hear everyone's news - how busy you all are!

Lovely Adenium Sylvain - I think that having 7 now qualifies as a collection! I have one myself, but it is not doing too well due to the fact that a huge Brug has grown out of control and has now put it into full shade, I must try to remember to dig it up and give it a spot with full sun, goodness knows I have plenty of hot, dry spots around the place. I love the Lotus, what a nice Easter day surprise. Say Hello to Gail from us, glad to hear that she is keeping well.

Wow Pepper, that is going to be a very nice veggie / herb garden - especially with all the help you are getting from your nephew. I have given up on growing tomato here because they get under constant attack from white fly and powdery mildew. We do have some wild tomato that come up all over the garden, planted by the birds no doubt, which are very small but very sweet and they don't seem to be hit by anything at all. You mention that you want a Plumeria - they sell cuttings at all the tourist stores around here which have been already inspected by the Ag dept, and are ready to send through the mail. They are only about 8" or so, but it would be easy enough for me to mail you a couple if you want - LMK.

Princess K, thank goodness those were not Africanized bees - when I lived in Arizona it was a constant worry every time you saw a hive!

It sure would be nice to go to a RU - wish sometimes I didn't live 3000 miles out to sea! One day I shall just arrive on your doorstep! Please ask the others that you have in mind to join us, I haven't "seen" RJ around for quite a while perhaps he his over at the other site, I know that Carol (Aloha Hoya) doesn't come to Daves anymore.

Katie, hope that foot keeps improving - it sounds as if you and Tony are going to be very busy with all the seeds you bought in CA. Glad to hear that the Cherimoya are doing so well for you - they are so delicious! My tree is in the process of dropping old leaves and growing new ones at the same time - it's very weird how all our trees do that here.

Of to help Mom pick up Monkey Pod seeds before it gets too hot in the driveway - also got to sweep the road as the darned tree spreads so very wide the street gets covered too, and we don't have any road cleaners in my neighborhood. Grumble, grumble!

Have a good day my friends.

Jenn

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 5, 2011
4:40 PM

Post #8542327

I'm here guys...Katie found me.
Hi LouC! I'm assuming that was Mike's Moms house? I couldn't imagine you selling your house.
Just got back from Colorado Springs- My brothers 50th birthday...was nice a couple of days then it got pretty cold, even saw snow flakes.
Been slowing down on the gardening, can't seem to keep up anymore- After the last couple years of freezes I have down sized the plants "on hand" just don't have the room in green house or the garden. The tree fern still lives and is about as tall as I am now.

Am still trying to transfer to an airport before our office moves to Chicago- Most of the airplanes now are now painted United. A few of us are considering getting a "crash" pad in Chicago and commuting every couple of weeks..dunno what will happen.

Hi Jenn, Pepper, Sylvain!
I looked into picking up some property next to Carols on the Big Island. Would love to, but...ya know..$$, and the job thing.

rj
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 5, 2011
5:50 PM

Post #8542505

Hi Rj!! Hope you are able to transfer to another airport in time. I have a feeling you would have a hard time adjusting to the frigid winters of Chicago. lol. Especially with the lake effect winds.

Was hoping to work in the garden tomorrow but it rained all day today and it's a muddy mess out there. Too muddy for me to try and do anything. So just taking my grandma plant shopping instead. Be a nice change for her and she can get some plants for her gardens.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 5, 2011
5:56 PM

Post #8542528

How wonderful that one by one we "old timers" of DG are gathering again. Really tired tonight but have a lot of good news for tomorrow. Take care.

PK
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 5, 2011
5:59 PM

Post #8542540

Randy, Mike asked about you just this evening. He has missed you as well as I have. Big heartache, the morning glory tree just couldn't take the 16 degrees we had for 48 hours. Even killed the cutting I had saved just in case. One of my favorites.

Later. PK

Your brother's 50th birthday. June 9th we will be married 50 years... much to everyone's surprise.

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 5, 2011
9:18 PM

Post #8542971

Thanks Pepper, your feelings are uncanny!

Christie, we must rendez-vous in June, My Birthday is June 7th my Continental anniversary is June 9th! I just got this retirement present from Brian today.
Left to right my friends Steve, Phillip and Brian...oh yes..the present are those airline seats!

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison

Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

May 6, 2011
9:40 AM

Post #8543801

Aloha all,

Nice to catch up on all your news RJ, and I sure hope that you find a transfer before having to make that big move to Chicago. Even having a crash pad and going home every couple of weeks would be difficult, I imagine. I hope you can find a way to move to the Big Island, it is always tough to live in the more remote parts of Hawaii - I myself would love to live in Hana (the windward side of our Island) but no jobs, and living "off the grid" would be too difficult for us unless we were super wealthy, like so many of the well known personalities who have homes there. Even the tourist industry (which is the mainstay of jobs) is mostly centered around the leeward sides with the beaches and the sunny weather...perhaps after retirement?

PK, can't wait to hear the good news...

Woke up to light but constant rain here this morning - not at all usual for us, these types of showers are called "God's Blessings" here which I think is rather nice. The garden really perks up and looks so fresh and green after some rain - I have noticed that bananas seem to ripen up quickly after we get "Blessings". I wonder if it has something to do with the ozone?

We are starting to pick quite a lot of figs and the papaya are going nuts. We always have papaya but they are more than we can keep up with in the spring. The birds help us out a lot, especially the white eyes that hollow them out - from the ground level the fruit looks perfect but after it's picked you find that there are no guts left at all! The Mango trees are starting to ripen one by one - it's not going to be a heavy bearing year this year, but more than enough for us and anybody else who crosses our path. I am not quite sure why anyone would want 6 old Mango trees in their garden, but that is what the previous owner planted.

Off to take Mom If this shopping this morning and run a few errands around town. If this drizzle keeps up it looks as if it will be a good day to work on my quilt...

Jenn

Metrosideros

Metrosideros
Keaau, HI

May 6, 2011
10:10 AM

Post #8543863

Hey Princess K, if we're all coming to your place, what's for dinner?

Thanks Randy, for showing us that we don't have to get on the plane to fly!

Great to see everyone here!

Aloha, Dave

Thumbnail by Metrosideros

katiebear
mulege
Mexico

May 6, 2011
11:12 AM

Post #8543961

I have a second pomegranate blooming. It is the one that is on the side of the arroyo where it gets very hot during the summer. If I get enough of these maybe the hummingbirds will leave one or two fruits for me. They love the and ate all of last year's crop.

I have been potting up cherimoyas and arhats. Both are sprouting now that the weather is warming up.

I've been drinking lots of hot lemonade. Slept well last night and feel much better this morning though I'm still very low energy. I can hear Jenn and her mom both saying "Don't overdo." Ok, I'm resting.

Almost no foot pain and the cold is almost gone. I know the energy will be back soon - just not today. The good news is that I'm not depressed, just very tired. Worrying about my foot and whether I was going to need surgery or just be lame forever really took a toll. I'm glad to be recovering and to know that I will soon be going up and down the steps in the arroyo.

The schotia tree is almost finished blooming but we still have lots of birds. I've never noticed before how cheery it is to have so many around. I brought a big bag of food from Wal-Mart to encourage them to stick around. It was funny coming through to Mexico as I explained what bags were for plants, what for birds and what for dogs. They let me through with no hassle.

Must rest more.

Waiting to hear Christie's good news.

kb

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 6, 2011
2:08 PM

Post #8544192

Hello, all.

The mango across the street seems to have a regular crop on it; nothing close to the bumper crop we experienced last year. The trouble here is to keep the groundskeepers from knocking down the unripe mangos. They eat them green with loads of salt. My neighbor Doreen makes it her business to protect the tree whenever the groundskeepers are on duty. They fear her. She guards that tree as if it were one of her children. We have quite a few mango trees on the property, so the groundskeepers pick their green mangos from the other trees and we get to eat all the fresh ripe mangos we can handle. I have this recipe for a mango cobbler that makes your toes curl upwards.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 6, 2011
5:29 PM

Post #8544541

Hi everyone!

I'm here but will have to catch up on the read later. Been visiting with my sister. She loves all of the miniatures. Now she wants a dollhouse!

Garden is making a comeback, slowly but surely. Finally watered yesterday.

Hope everyone is ok! Sure is good to almost have everyone back...miss Shari and Tropicman...

Get back with y'all later. Happy Mother's Day to all of the Mom's!

Jeanne
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 6, 2011
5:50 PM

Post #8544577

I took advantage of a super nice day and took my grandma shopping for plants and spent a ton of money. LOL. Came home and planted several of them and just enjoyed the nice weather before the rain hits again tonight. Got lots more to plant but I'll get there. I put a serious dent in them today!! lol

Thumbnail by pepper23

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 7, 2011
10:04 AM

Post #8545729

Well, I thought I had mastered uploading pictures to DG on this imac. not. Have had this almost 2 1/2 years and cannot master iphoto. I can upload entire albums to FaceBook but not just one photo at a time. Printed out instructions from plantladylin and still could not get it work. Guess you all have to friend me on Facebook so I can show you our flower garden and the extended deck and patio area. Recently built a Tiki Bar on the property line to share with neighbor that has the koi pond. Even put a thatch roof on it. Dave, we would start the visit with whatever libation anyone wanted. I make a mean virgin Mary (bloody Mary with no alcohol). Mike gave his pull-behind smoker to our son as it is just too much for us anymore. If you are not familiar with The Big Green Egg, check it out on the internet. We bought him the largest size and he is happier with it than any cooker he has ever had. Best part is it doesn't get hot on the outside and presents no fire danger on this wooden deck. Uses about a 10th the amount of fuel to cook and gets up 750 degrees. I wanted to show you a picture but...

Happy Mother's Day to everyone. If you are not a mother, you have one and it is a day of thankfulness for all.

Princess Kilikina (just love being a princess again)

Amanda, you are one precious granddaughter.
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

May 7, 2011
10:27 AM

Post #8545769

Mornin' all,

Hi Dave, how is everything going in your neck of the woods? I'm with you - what's for dinner Christi?! Lovely picture of the turtle, and nice to hear from you.

Glad to see that you are feeling better Katie, that arroyo will wait for a few more days - it's a huge job you have taken on, but it's going to be ideal when you finally get it done, and I think it's going to look rather beautiful too. Is a garden ever done - mine isn't! I keep having to tweek things and move stuff around because they have grown much larger here than I ever imagined they could. Those pom's are a perfect choice and should thrive for you, so nice when something gives food as well as eye candy.

Hey, how about sharing that recipe that is going to curl my toes Sylvain? I imagine that you could use peaches instead for those of you that have access to them instead of mango. I had to laugh about Doreen the keeper of the mango fruit! Many of the folks around here only eat green mango too, I believe it's a favorite of the Phillippino people and they really don't thank you for a ripe fruit!

Jeanne, glad you have found us. I hope your Mom (and you) are doing better now. How nice to have your sister there and make those wonderful miniatures together. Your doll houses are incredible! Do share some pics.

Nice hanging pots you created Pepper, I bet you and Grandma had a lovely day browsing through the nurseries. Just how many plants did you come home with?

I had a disturbed night last night due to a cane toad serenading. He /she kept it up all night long and got progressively louder as he / she couldn't get another toad to come to the pond I guess. Anyway at 3 am I went out armed with a net and a flash light, but missed him / her every time. I finally trapped it under the net at 4.45 am. Ah! peace and quiet for a whole 15 minutes before the calling started again. That little bugger was sitting right on top of the net! A quick flick of the wrist and I managed to dump him into a bucket and slammed the lid down fast. Success! He / she will be relocated this morning into a swampy area - it will take him / her weeks to walk back to my house with any luck! I know, I know, toad are good for the garden - but I really draw a line at Cane toads. By the way, anyone know if it's the males or the females that croak for a mate? Always like to know the enemy!

Off to the beach for a short time early this morning to meet up with a gang of friends that just gather to "talk story" on the weekends. It's always fun, and they are such a diverse bunch of people that it is always interesting to talk to them.

Aloha to all,

Jenn

Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

May 7, 2011
10:39 AM

Post #8545790

My current bete noires.
Monkey Pod tree

Thumbnail by Braveheartsmom

Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

May 7, 2011
10:40 AM

Post #8545793

And stupid cane toad...

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 7, 2011
12:14 PM

Post #8545933

Hey, Jen. Saw a teaser on some channel last night (I never know, other than it is usually HGTV,History, Green or something of that nature) that there is to be a special Sunday night on cane toads. How they have taken over areas and are killing native creatures. They are menace wherever they are. Next time, kill it with no qualms. One less OBL Toad.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 7, 2011
5:26 PM

Post #8546489

Those hanging pots I cheated on. I bought them that way at work. LOL!! I will be making up plenty of regular containers for the deck though. I have flowers galore waiting to be planted into containers right now and I'm not done buying yet. LOL. I also have 2 cardboard trays loaded with plants in my truck and they won't come out till sometime tomorrow when I can sneak them out. LOL.

I'm planting for hummers and butterflies. Some lantana, verbena, petunias, sweet potato vines-for my cats to play hide and seek under, cabrilochia aka mini petunias, elephant ears, and I know I'm missing a couple. For the ground I'm mostly doing perennials and throwing down zinna seeds and annual aster seeds. My nephew will help with that. I'm trying to turn him into a gardener even though he's only 3. Never to early to start!!

Allium blooming

Thumbnail by pepper23

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 8, 2011
5:20 AM

Post #8547256

A glorious Mother's Day to all you moms out there!

Yesterday was a great day for me. I was up bright and early. It was coffee on the deck at 6:15 with some of my daily readings. I was behind on my reading, but now I'm all caught up. It feels good.

I then headed to my friend Ginger's house. She was having a garage sale and I offered to lend a hand. A lot of her customers only spoke Créole and French. So, I was the international host for the event. In the process, I relieved Ginger of 3 large terracotta pots and at least a dozen medium terracotta pots. Symbiosis is a wonderful thing, isn't it?

Then, I headed to a pet shop specializing in reptiles. We were having difficulties with our pet ball python, Lucy. You see, Lucy has been raised in the lap of luxury with all the amenities and privileges of royalty. That snake has a huge living enclosure with a heated hide-out, a large water dish, a slate tile patio, a jungle gym, an infrared heat lamp and all the food she needs. Add to that Gail and I doting upon her every day and you get a good pet snake. She is absolutely gorgeous. She spends hours wrapped around my neck or draped on my shoulders in the evenings. Lately, she has found a new thing. She puts her head on my nose and just sits there, apparently enjoying herself. I include a picture of Lucy when she was just a wee little hatchling. She has grown quite a bit since then. I'll take a fresh picture soon and post it here.

Oh, I know snakes are not on everybody's list of good pets, but such is life. You are welcome to go EEEWWW. I was like that 2 1/2 years ago. Had I known what I know now, I would have kept a snake a long time ago. Live and learn certainly applies here. We are positively gaga over that ball python. A week ago, Lucy was getting ready to shed her old skin. I replaced her shaved aspen substrate by a special bark substrate that can be kept moist without rotting. You don't want your snake to breathe mold. It's not good for us and the same rule applies to animals. The moist bark did its job and Lucy enjoyed an easier, very successful shedding process.

But there was a problem. We noticed that Lucy only slept on her unheated slate patio under her infrared lamp, instead of taking refuge in her deluxe heated appartment. We came to the conclusion that she didn't like slithering and sleeping on the rough bark. Who knew snakes could be finicky? So, first order of business was to acquire a new bag of aspen shavings. When I came home, I removed the bark and laid out a new bed of aspen shavings. Two minutes later, she went into her heated hide-out. We now have a happy snake again. She has trained us very well, hasn't she? You have got to love Lucy.

Today is going to be a much more relaxed day. I have to plant a new acalypha. I may do it today, or leave it until tomorrow. I will dig up that mango cobbler recipe and publish it here later on; maybe today.

Take care, everyone.
Pu'ole, a.k.a. Sylvain.

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 8, 2011
6:49 AM

Post #8547398

Oh dearest Pu'ole. A snack lover I am not. If I even see a little grass snake in my garden I am out of here. They are all deadly to me as I would die of heart failure should one actually touch me.

I'm glad for you and Gail that Lucy brings you both so much pleasure. I'm more of a dog person myself. This past week I have pulled up the half acre of poppies and saved seed heads. Many I cut off where they stood and let them fall and then pulled out the stalks. I have been moving towards mostly Texas natives (much easier and more successful DUH) as I lost so many plants the last two winters. I observed that Mother Nature does not store seed. The drop of blow with the wind and with no preparation, regenerate the following spring. I find seed grown plants to be much healthier and longer lasting. Right now the blooms are gorgeous but I know that in about 2 weeks we will be hoovering near 100 for at least 3 months. Just as hard as the 16 degree days we had last winter. Finally closed the windows last night and turned on the AC. I hate when that becomes necessary but the 90+ we are having makes it difficult to sleep.

I'm going to concentrate, once again, to learn how to upload pictures from iphoto. So frustrated over this problem. If you are on Facebook, please "friend" me as I can easily put up and album with no problem.

RJ, I dug up the root of the Morning Glory Tree yesterday hoping to find life...not to be. Of all the plants that I have lost to the weather, I miss this one the most.

Dave, Mike cooked Country Style Pork Ribs last night along with his signature homemade potato salad. Had corn on the cob and sliced tomatoes from our vines. We are testing different menus for our get-together. Oh, how I wish it could be so. Cannot describe the feeling I had when I met Jen and I can easily pull it up from my memory. And then there was the fantastic visit with RJ at his home and better yet, when he came here for a long weekend. The miracle of the internet has changed my life. I love each of you.

Princess Kilikina

Took the speakers outside to the deck and we play Bro IZ almost constantly. Did you know his recordings are #1 in Germany and France right now. Amazing.
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

May 8, 2011
8:50 AM

Post #8547583

Morning all,

Happy Mother's Day to all!

Will try to catch up later as I have work today and I have to jump into the shower by 6am, or risk being late.

Have a good day everyone.

Jenn

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 8, 2011
12:19 PM

Post #8547856

Guess I should start proofreading before I hit "send". More typos than the law allows.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 8, 2011
5:22 PM

Post #8548326

Happy Mother's Day!!

Had a few family members over for dinner and just had a relaxing day. My dad did have to go out and send my neighbor back into their yard because she kept riding her motorbike into our yard again. Wasn't tearing up the yard but we don't want her to get hurt over here and there are several slick spots. Not long after he told her no she parked the bike for the day. lol

Thumbnail by pepper23

Metrosideros

Metrosideros
Keaau, HI

May 8, 2011
5:46 PM

Post #8548384

Happy Mother's Day!

My Mother is always correct.

My mother is an angel.

No one can argue with my mother!

Thumbnail by Metrosideros

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 8, 2011
10:06 PM

Post #8548977

Hey, Dave. Sounds like a couple of mothers I know.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 8, 2011
10:07 PM

Post #8548978

Just realized you have polar bears in your picture. In Hawaii?
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 9, 2011
7:57 AM

Post #8549525

Christi, I forgot all about the morning glory tree. I'll have to look for some more as mine bit the dust a couple of years ago!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 9, 2011
9:24 AM

Post #8549732

The one you brought to me was huge and gorgeous. It died to the ground two years in a row but this last winter got it. The Mexican hydrangea has spread EVERYWHERE. Don't really mind as it blooms and blooms and blooms. Just like a four o'clock, it needs no care whatever.
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

May 10, 2011
9:11 AM

Post #8552149

Aloha all,

Finished work for the week - now to catch up on all of your news...

Pu'ole, I just gotta see a picture of Lucy perched on your nose! That is one well loved snake, her home sounds more comfortable than mine! She obviously brings you and Gail much enjoyment and more than a few laughs with her unusual antics. ^_^

Pepper, the garden sounds as if it going to be as pretty as a picture. I just bought Mom a Cabrilochia for Mothers Day - do you know if you can take cuttings from it?

PK, you simply got to get with the program so that we can see your photo's on Daves! Nothing is quite as pretty as a patch of poppies. I have a Morning Glory Tree - sort of a pinky lavender color - do you want a cutting? I have to go to the airport at the end of the week to have plants inspected to send to Pepper and I can get MGT cuttings done for you at the same time...LMK.

Dave, do you know my Mom?

We have had a few cloudy days here, not at all usual for us at this time of the year, but no rain. The garden is enjoying the respite from the unrelenting sun but it hurts me to have to put on the electricity for the solar water heater - we are so used to having piping hot water all the time that 115 degree water seems just too cool. LOL.

I have to spend a few hours this morning cutting up and dehydrating bananas. I hate the job, but the kids really enjoy them. We currently have two bunches ripe (Frank estimates them at 30lbs each) and it looks as if there are more to come very soon so I better get cracking as the darned things ripen over night.

Katie, I hope your foot is still on the mend and that you are settled back in at home. How long is Scout going to be your house guest? For those of you that don't know, Katie has rescued all of her dogs from the dump area in her town(wasn't it, Katie?) as pups. She really is an angel and gives those unwanted pups the most comfortable and happy life you could imagine, including cooking chicken for them and giving them lots and lots of love. Way to go Katie!

Is this the MGT that you lost PK?

Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

May 10, 2011
9:27 AM

Post #8552173

No where near as beautiful or lush as Gangajays orchids are, but I am still quite proud of these given to me as "throw outs".

Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

May 10, 2011
9:28 AM

Post #8552179

The Brugmansia are enjoying the cloudy weather. This one is Equador Pink.

Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

May 10, 2011
9:30 AM

Post #8552181

I was surprised that I had caught a carpenter bee (or a bumble bee, not sure) in this picture.

Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

May 10, 2011
9:32 AM

Post #8552186

A Plumeria...

Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

May 10, 2011
9:35 AM

Post #8552192

This poor little Brug has been under constant attack from potato beetle for weeks now, but is starting to look a little better - she is a shy bloomer but is one of my favorites, her name is Desiree.

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 10, 2011
11:01 AM

Post #8552344

Oh Jennie, I would be ever so grateful for the cutting. This time it will go into a very large pot to stay. Not taking any more chances with the kind of winters we have been experiencing. Strange, but I have 7 or 8 brugs reappearing and they are all yellow. All of the pink or pinkish froze. I have one plumie that is about to bloom. Will be its first time and I have had the stalk for 4 years. Have no idea what color it will be and don't care. Just as long as it blooms I am happy.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 10, 2011
5:19 PM

Post #8553281

Haven't gotten much done planting wise this week yet. Started to on Sunday before family arrived but when I got down to the shed and opened the door, there was a huge spider there, legs and all bigger than my palm. He wasn't budging and I don't like spiders. He won. lol. Then a little bit later I was coming off the deck to do something and looked to my left and there was a snake. My first thought was someone rolled out the hose but the hose was on my right. l started screaming to my parents to grab a camera because this was no black snake and he was big!! At least 3 feet, maybe 4 feet long. So needless to say I haven't gotten any of my containers started thanks to bugs and reptiles deciding to sun themselves where we don't want them. lol

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 10, 2011
5:31 PM

Post #8553312

Oh my word, Amanda! I am deathly afraid of a snake of any size. What are loosely called "grass snakes" could be a baby python as far as I am concerned. They are ALL DEADLY. I will have a heart attack if confronted with one. Be careful, sweetheart.

PK
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 10, 2011
5:34 PM

Post #8553317

Oh I am. lol. He was very calm with all the commotion going on. Just sitting there sunbathing it seemed like. I don't mind the snakes being in my yard as long as I don't see them. Give me a lizard any day. Actually saw one of them too on Sunday. My nephew spent all day looking for it. lol
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 10, 2011
5:36 PM

Post #8553323

We have had a huge number of Chameleon lizards this year. I love the little stinkers. So happy to see them.
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 10, 2011
8:58 PM

Post #8553799

I'm with you Christi, lizards are OK...snakes not so much.

Sounds like everyone had a great Mother's Day! My youngest granddaughter brought me two beautiful orange and white amaryllis. I'll have to get their picture.

I have managed to get some rest. Mom has another Dr's appt tomorrow. They may fit her with a portable heart monitor for 24 hrs. She does not have good circulation to the brain due to narrowing arteries / veins and is starting to have some confusion. She is still rather weak, shaky, and dizzy from her fall and mini stroke. We don't like leaving her alone. It is good that my sister is there with her for now.

My banana trees are making a comeback. These are all new sprouts. All of the 60 big ones bit the dust. They just turned to mush. So no bananas this year, again. It's OK, the foliage is so pretty!

The plumerias are leafing out. Even my babies from seed. A couple have forked. I think they are due to bloom next year. There is over ten of them! Daylilies are in bloom also.

My hut is still on DS's todo list...can't wait to see your pictures Christi!

Have a great week everyone!
Jeanne

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 11, 2011
3:54 AM

Post #8554029

Hi, everyone.

Being a snake owner, I know that my snake is a gentle, very tame, sweet and well brought-up baby. That is how she was brought up. Wild snakes,although they are not necessarily out to get you, have to be given a wide berth and a fair bit of respect. But if a snake came near me outside, my long-handled shovel will be used in unconventional ways, I tell you what.

I saw a TV documentary on python hunters in the Everglades a few months ago. For the record, pythons are not venomous. They are constrictors. I had to laugh at how inept those guys were. What a bunch of certified wusses posing as big-time wilderness adventurers!

They walk the fields in a narrow formation, in groups of 6 or more. They wear no protective gear, carry no weapons and they're as skittish as squirrels. So, they walk the fields and one spots a python. It's an 8-foot specimen sunning itself. He yells "python" and everyone converges on him. I still can't figure out why they need to all be together like that. I guess there is security in numbers.

The guy bends down and picks it off the ground as if he had dropped a salami at the grocery store. That is all the action there is to it: bend down, pick it up, show it to the camera. The snake does what comes naturally and coils around the guy's arm for support. It also wrapped its neck around the guy's neck. It wasn't an attempt at strangling or biting. He was just looking for support. You could tell this was a good baby. I would have adopted it on the spot.

They then carry the allegedly evil snake to a holding cage on the back on their truck. No chase, no attack, no wrestling with an enraged reptile, nothing. It was as boring as watching paint drying. They don't tell you what fate awaits the snake, but no good can come of all this. I know they are an introduced species that does untold and virtually unchecked damage to the Everglades echosystem. I just have a propension to take the snake's side because nobody else seems to root for it.

In other news,,, I have 2 adenium obesum (desert rose) that I started from seeds. In February, my cruising buddy said: Let's repor those. I agreed, seeing no arm in it. We only had one terracota pot, so we repotted one, leaving the other alone. We then forgot to buy terracota pots and left the other one undisturbed. The repotted one lost all its leaves. I now have a caudex at ground level with an 18-inch bald main stem sticking straight up and 2 quasi-microscopic newly-formed leaves at the top. Those things are so temperamental. The other one will stay in its pot until it manages to grow enough roots to crack it. Adeniums are known to do that. Ah,the heartbreaks of gardening. But the plant is not dead; it just looks mighty poorly. I'll give it a good shot of orchid bloom booster today. It will perk right up. I include a picture of adenium blooms.

Take care, all.
Pu'ole, a.k.a. Sylvain.

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 11, 2011
5:44 PM

Post #8556436

I think mine could use a boost too. It's also tempermental. I figured it was tired of being inside so I stuck it outside where it looks like it's deciding whether to live or die. And I thought my cats were tempermental. Sheesh! lol. I still like it though.

Thumbnail by pepper23

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 11, 2011
9:44 PM

Post #8556881

That's so neat, Pepper. All of my plumera are just one stick with a few leaves on top. Well, a couple have y'ed but nothing like yours. Great.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 12, 2011
3:14 AM

Post #8557028

A glorious day to allof you.

Pepper, I wouldn't worry about your adenium dying. They are the plant world's drama queens extraordinaire. You brought it outside and that is a good thing. I would recommend acclimating it slowly to being outside by placing it in a dappled shade area at first and slowly moving it to full sun conditions. Those things require full sun. And they are borderline gross feeders. I just know it will perk up soon.

We saw a recipe for rum & coke BBQ ribs on the Today show a couple days ago. It looked easy enough to make. I tried it. Don't even bother! They couldn't serve that to prison inmates for fear a riot would start. Bland, can't taste the rum, can't taste the coke, a waste of time and resources. I just thought I'd warn y'all. We love ribs, but we have yet to find a recipe that will become our standard house recipe. Does anyone have a good reliable recipe? I am open to suggestions.

I can't wait for this drought to be over. There must be some brush fires nearby because for the last 2 days, we have had this smoke odor outside, almost full-time. I am sitting outside with my snake and my morning coffee. The snake doesn't like the smoke odor. I guess instinct tells her that smoke is bad news. Anyhow, my baby just can't seem to relax as she sits draped like a lei on my shoulders. She's got her tail wrapped around my left hand and she's holding tighter than usual. Poor thing, I'll bring her back inside now, where she'll fee secure again.

Take care, all.
Pu'ole, a.k.a. Sylvain.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 12, 2011
5:52 AM

Post #8557238

sylvan,

This terrible fire is no where near Carol is it? I thought that she out that way.

Hope she is safe.

XXOO
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 12, 2011
7:34 AM

Post #8557496

Good morning. Mike is going to give you his recipe for ribs. He has even won first place in a bbq cookoff with them. Later.

Got to go check out the garden to see if there is any damage from last night's storm.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 12, 2011
8:26 AM

Post #8557607

Hello again, everyone.

Nancy, I have no idea where the fires are.

Princess, I will gladly try his recipe. I have been known to cook a slight bit. Some things just escape me completely. For example, for about 20 years, I couldn't come up with a decent recipe for baked beans if my life had depended upon it. Then, I found an old cookbook with a baked beans recipe in it. I tried. It worked and that recipe is now part of my recipe arsenal. I hope it works for me.

There many things in bloom here today.
First, let me share this plumeria trio with you. On Jeremy's advice, I planted in a very large pot and they've been doing well ever since.

Pu'ole, a.k.a. Sylvain.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 12, 2011
8:27 AM

Post #8557610

Then, there are these heidichium gingers, who are blooming for the first time in 2 years. I told them I would rip them out of the ground and use them to start a compost heap. Works every time.

Pu'ole, a.k.a. Sylvain.

Edited because I can't spell like an earthling this morning.

This message was edited May 12, 2011 10:29 AM

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 12, 2011
8:28 AM

Post #8557611

And finally, there is that orchid, which has been putting on quite the show for us in the last 2 weeks.

Pu'ole, a.k.a. Sylvain.

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 12, 2011
5:44 PM

Post #8558855

I need to transplant it to a different pot before I move it. The bottom of this one concave and it doesn' t balance well. New pot then I'll move it after it has a chance to get used to the little bit of extra room.

One of my newly done up containers. Lantana, mini petunias, a coleus and a dormant elephant ear in the middle. Since I didn't separate my ee's over the winter so that I knew what was what I have no idea what it will look like when it comes up. Will be a nice suprise. lol

Thumbnail by pepper23

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 13, 2011
8:52 AM

Post #8560131

Hi, everyone.

If there were a topic set for this thread, I would seriously off-topic. However, such is not the case. I won't take much of your time.

I usually think I look good while wearing a hat. Cowboy hats, baseball caps, dew rags, feudoras, party hats... you name it, I'll wear it.

Now, there is this famous hat going on the auction block soon. I'm having trouble deciding if I should bid or not. Gail tells me it wouldn't suit me. I think it's the color, somehow. Please check out the picture and let me know how you feel about it. Warning: this is not for the faint-hearted.

Take care.
Sylvain.

katiebear
mulege
Mexico

May 13, 2011
9:36 AM

Post #8560181

Good morning everyone,

After a rather rough day yesterday I got lots of sleep complete with the splint boot and five dogs.

I need to pot up some seedlings and plant some more of my new seeds.

Later:

I got some of the seedlings potted up and my supplies organized, which is always at leasst half the abttle. It's warm and sunny and ever so peaceful.

Will check the arroyo and see how the tangerine trees are doing.

hugs, kb
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

May 13, 2011
9:38 AM

Post #8560190

Sylvian - the hat needs a vine - could you put a pot under it?

b

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 13, 2011
11:04 AM

Post #8560413

sylvan,

It suits you to a QRSTUV

XXOO
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 13, 2011
11:22 AM

Post #8560453

Dahlin', you look magnificent. Much better than the little princess. Another picture to add my Sylvain Album.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 13, 2011
5:54 PM

Post #8561305

Looking good Sylvain!!
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

May 13, 2011
9:54 PM

Post #8561760

Po'ule, it's just you, darling! Much better than on Princess Bea - don't bid a lot for it though will you, it will take a special event to carry it off - anything special coming up? You crack me up! The orchid, ginger and plumeria look very nice - it must smell gorgeous in your garden!

Katie, glad you had a good night's rest despite the boot and five dogs! I am still hoping you will get a camera and post some pictures so we can see all the work you are doing around your place - it must be looking good down in the arroyo after all the hard labor that has gone into it...good luck with the tangerines, it looks as if it is going to be a poor year for me with the citrus.

It looks as if that pot you planted is going to be very pretty, Pepper, especially if the ee comes up. I checked the "for sale" plumeria and they were only as big as your middle finger so I cut some off my trees - they are on there way to you. Sorry for the delay, but I had to go over to the airport to get them inspected before mailing. I hope you enjoy them.

Christi, package is on the way to you too - a couple of surprises included! Looking forward to seeing Mike's prize winning rib recipe - give him my love.

Hope all of you are safe from the awful flooding that is going right now - the weather channel is becoming a horror to watch and we feel so lucky to be here - at least for this week in time...

Aloha to all.

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 14, 2011
6:08 AM

Post #8562032

I don't know how I will ever pay you back for all your inconvenience, Jen. wish there were something in my garden that I could send but they are so picky about plants going into Hawaii, with good reason.
I have many Texas natives that are invasive right here in my yard. I can imagine what they would do in the rich soil of Maui. You will die. I am once again petting a small pot of bougainvillea and for the first time, for me, it is re-blooming. Will never forget that magnificent fence. We are waiting to open the doors for another sale of the belongings from Mike's mother. We had one sale at the house on the lake and had lots left. Have carted it here and going to make one more attempt. She has no antiques or collectibles. She lived near a kitchen discount store and in the seventies must have gone wild over Corning Ware. We have 3 complete sets and all the accessories. I got several pieces at my wedding showers 50 years ago and they are very difficult to use. Burns everything you put in it. When you try to scrub it, it makes marks. Good idea that didn't work out so well. About time to open for business. Later, everyone.
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

May 14, 2011
7:29 AM

Post #8562159

Good morning everyone,

Corning Ware is great in microwaves and the Visions pieces are vey collectable now.

I have seeds to plant and cleaning/organizing in my outdoor plant room.
tony is here and we are both enjoying that the critical neighbors are gone for the summer. I really like both of them, especially Dana, but they are both very critical and it's depressing. Reminds me of most of my family.

My foot is much better. Don't know if I'll be well enough to go see Amma who will be in LA on June 10.

My friends Sharon and Jon, Scout's owners, have broken up. Sharon is working in Malibu and can't have a dog there. She thinks Jon is in Canada, no idea when he'll return. He only talked to Tony about leaving Scout here. Scout is doing fine; she is very serious while all the others are still playful but she has always been this way. She follows me around some, like the others, and helps to remind me why I like dogs so much. I missed saying goodbye to Dana and Tom's dog Amioga who is a good friend (to their jealousy as she doesn't normally like "others")

I checked out the beach yesterday. There is only a little seaweed. Don't know if it's too early or too late for the big piles.

Back to clean-up.

hugs, katie
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 14, 2011
10:27 AM

Post #8562410

Rain and a cool front ! We can hear the sigh of relief. Busy busy, working overtime on some of my vacation and off to Colorado for my Nephews graduation. I think I might get a hold of Sharie and husband for a visit in Denver.
Poison arrow

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 14, 2011
10:39 AM

Post #8562426

Tree fern made it through another winter. I'm not sure why nurseries don't jump on the C. Australis, much better suited for zone 9 climates and may be even lower.

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 14, 2011
6:55 PM

Post #8563205

Oh gosh, Randy. Didn't used to be able to see the greenhouse for the foliage. Hope that doesn't mean that it is all gone, just maybe hasn't come up yet. Because of the cool spring, I have lots of things that are just now pushing through the soil.

The sale was just so-so today. The price of gas has deeply cut into the budget of we garage sale people. Had more than one looking for children's clothing. Buying just the basic of life. Not enough income for ANYTHING frivolous.

Just reading about the opening of flood gates all along the Mississippi River. So sad. Have any of you ever heard of so many natural disasters in your life? I haven't and will be 70 years old in October. Born just before Pearl Harbor and instead of getting better...things are much worse. I personally am safe and have a wonderful environment but so distressed for others.

Going to meet our son tomorrow for a Texas Ranger baseball game. He lives some 275 miles from us and we don't see him often. He is bringing some customers to the game and invited us to join him. Cautioned his daddy to tell me that he is 45 years old and I should not treat him like a child in front of the customers. What do you think? I may be nice, maybe not...I can be a scoundrel at times.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 15, 2011
3:55 AM

Post #8563624

Hi, everyone.

We finally got the big downpour we all prayed to get. It was a violent thunderstorm but no damage. Florida produces such unbelievable storms with thunder that sounds like a whip snapping and lightning that run horizontally in the sky. Maybe I have had a shielded youth, but I always saw lightling as striking vertically. Anyhow, the spectacle from under the carport was worth seeing and the rain felt so good. It was as if I could hear the plants go AAAHHH!

Power did go off, as it so often does here in storms. I sometimes wonder if those wires are real electrical wires, or licorice strips strung between the posts. We do run out of power very often. The surge protector on the computer earns its money, I tell you.

In such circumstances, I have 2 candelabras always ready. One of them is a 5-candle "silver" classical contraption like Liberace used to have on his piano. The other one is a menorah, given to me by a dear Jewish friend of ours years ago. I have a good thought for Rhina every time I light it. Those were two of the prized possessions I couldn't bear to leave behind when we moved to Florida. These 2 devices produce an appreciable amount of light when all the candles are burning.

But, having suffered a fire when we first got married, I am weary of candles and they do dirty the ceilings. We have 2 battery-operated lanterns and at least a half-dozen LED flashlights in our hurricane supplies. I just have to swing by Costco and buy 3 OR 4 12-packs of D batteries in preparation for the hurricane season. So many things to do...

Take care, all.
Sylvain.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 15, 2011
7:32 AM

Post #8563966

We, too, have had storms this week and this is our tornado season. The weather is so unpredictable. We are now having lows in the 50's and highs around 70. Not normal for this time of year. The garage sale wasn't so good yesterday. Still have most of MIL's kitchen items and I certainly don't need anymore of my own. Mostly Corning Ware and Corel, and some silver plate serving pieces. All from the seventies. No demand for cooking supplies from the younger crowd. They eat out or bring in prepared entrees. Whole different world.

Love to everybody, PK
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 15, 2011
2:21 PM

Post #8564765

Some of the stuff is growing back, I removed the rest. I have been minimizing. I removed everything that was on the side of the garage, put some of it in front, and some along the back driveway.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 15, 2011
2:31 PM

Post #8564795

Hi Friends,

Thanks to Sylvain, I have been lurking here for about a week. My, oh, my, I know you all. Long time no see to many of you.

as Sylvain said, we had quite a storm yesterday. No damage, but all the babies are singing this am. Have been cutting down on my garden space for it's just getting too much, but enjoying fully what there is.

Love to all,

Hap. (Nancy)
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 15, 2011
3:06 PM

Post #8564884

Hey Hap!
We had a storm on Thursday, the first time since the end of January that it has rained here.
It was followed by a cool front with a nice low 80's high and mid 50's low...very nice.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 15, 2011
3:39 PM

Post #8564996

We got that cool front also. But our temps went down to the 50s for a high!! Today we just reached 51 for a high. And a bit of light rain every now and then. I want the 70s back!! lol

Rj, your garden still looks good despite the mimizing.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 15, 2011
3:42 PM

Post #8565011

Thanks, I think so too. It took me quite a few weekends to haul out the dead stuff, and two big trash days to get rid of it all. I wish I had a wood chipper.
Hey Pepper...I finally did put that large cattle drinking trough in my green house, and it does the trick in keeping it humid. I put mosquito fish in there too. In the summer it serves as a water back up in these dry times here.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 15, 2011
4:05 PM

Post #8565109

That's great!!

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 15, 2011
6:10 PM

Post #8565471

I have got to get myself some of those mosquito fish (gambusia). Nobody seems to have them here. Also, I know killifish would work, but I might as look for a reincarnation of The Great Pumpkin. It's frustrating when you know about stuff but can't find somewhere to buy it.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

May 15, 2011
7:21 PM

Post #8565667

Sylvan - Be glad you don't live in Mexico. kb
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 16, 2011
8:36 AM

Post #8566767

Good morning. Spent yesterday at the Ranger's baseball game with our son and his daughter. Couldn't have been better...well maybe if all of you had been there with us.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 16, 2011
5:35 PM

Post #8567880

I go to a couple of Royals games a year. The games aren't worth mentioning but it's fun watching the fans there. lol
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 16, 2011
6:36 PM

Post #8568021

How right you are, Pepper. The people are always the best show of all. If everyone that was walking around the stadium had come inside...there would have been waaaay tooo many. Pandemonium. Saw some things I could hardly believe. Even the zoo isn't that good. hahahaha
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

May 19, 2011
9:13 AM

Post #8573695

Aloha all,

Just catching up on all the news after some extra days at work this week...off now until Sunday, thank goodness!

Happy, so nice to "see" you here! I am glad Sylvain invited you over - He always makes me laugh imagining him with his Liberace candelabra in a lightening storm!

RJ, the garden looks so nice even though you have "cut back" on the plants! Nice to hear that the tree fern continues to prosper.

PK, nice that you had a good outing with your son and family. Are you still going to do garage sales with what's left of MIL's stuff? It must be very exhausing. I have started to weed out some of my extra kitchen things as I will probably never have a family of 8 to cater for again, and I have been taking the dishes and things to a consignment store and I am rather pleased to have made quite a bit of cash on them. The more ordinary things go to the Kidney Foundation which is one of the only charities that do a monthly pick up here on Maui. Sad to see some of the things go in a way.

I haven't had much time to look around the garden this week but the starfruit tree is blooming again - I guess we will have fruit in a month or so. Four crops a year from that beast, hundreds in each cropping. A friend just told me about a hedge made from Starfruit trees in my neighborhood - of course I had to check it out and it was very pretty with the nice fine foliage that the starfruit has.

I can smell the coffee tree blooms coming in the window this morning, such a lovely scent. Coffee does not do very well for me in my area but we do have three in the garden, although we do not harvest the berries to make the coffee.

This morning I have to deal with a pile of Mango that Frank picked yesterday. There is just so much we can eat, freeze and give away (everyone else's trees are producing too) so I am planning on dehydrating them so that I can send a box to the grandkids on the mainland. Such a messy job and orange fingers afterward are a given.

I just found out that I am going to need to have cateract surgery at the end of June - that can't possibly be me, cataracts are for "old people" LOL! I think it's about time I started acting my age, not my shoe size! Everyone tells me that it's not bad but I am still very leary of anything to do with my eyes. The plus is that I will have perfect sight, at least in one eye. My daughter Laurie is planning on coming out for moral support - she said she was just looking for an excuse!

My big plans for the day include rewiring my watering system that has quit working since we were tented. The valves are working okay, the timer is registrating, so that just leaves the wiring - maybe the connections were broken when they chucked that heavy tarp on top of them - wish me luck, I hate working with electricity!

Hope you all have a happy day,

Jenn
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

May 19, 2011
11:17 AM

Post #8573973

Jenn,
I am a retired OR Nurse and did a lot of eye surgical procedures. One surgeon in particular will not operate with out me in her room on Tuesdays. Cataract surgery is much improved and takes 15-20 minutes procedure time. You will be discharged 30-45 minutes after surgery. What lens are they implanting?. Good luck to you. Belle
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 20, 2011
6:06 AM

Post #8575441

Guess who got a package yesterday? All looks well and is currently soaking up a little water before being planted. I can close my eyes and visualize your garden and just where each cutting originated. We had yet another sale. This time at our house and the turn out was dismal. Spent yesterday re-packing everything and took a good deal of it to the thrift store. There is one in our community that is run by young people who are mentally challenged. It is a very happy place. Mike has one more pickup truck load still at his mother's house. Mostly very large items that have been spoken for that we will deliver elsewhere. The buyer is stalling and we are at a loss as to why. Mike and his mother are extremely anxious. I have adopted an attitude of "all in good time".
We have a substantial escrow from him that won't be returned so I am just waiting.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 20, 2011
1:55 PM

Post #8576101

A glorious day to all of you, my friends!

Here is my newest addition to my collection of adenium obesum (desert rose). It's called Santa Claus. It features a red double flower with white markings. I like it. Gail loves it.

Adenium obesums are very addictive, for some reason. What started out as a rescued plant has turned into a full ménagerie of those caudiciforms. When I got home with the first rescued one, Gail said in a tone of voice that left no room for interpretation: "You paid $6 for THAT!!!???". I had no choice but to hang my head in shame and mumble "Yes". She thought I was going soft in the membrane. Now, they're very dear to her heart, too. It's so nice to grow old and soft in the membrane together.

Take care, all.
Pu'ole, a.k.a. Sylvain.

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 20, 2011
4:31 PM

Post #8576346

I love you AND Gail.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 20, 2011
6:52 PM

Post #8576654

I would happily give up the desert rose I currently have for that one. Gonna have to find a place that has it and get one. It's gorgeous!!

I got my package a few days ago. Was super excited and got them planted immediately. I can't wait til they take off.
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

May 20, 2011
7:28 PM

Post #8576721

Beautiful adenium, Sylvian. I have one that I got at Walmart tha's been blooming for about a month. I also have some little plants I started from seed. I've had a hard time getting Tony to underwater them. I showed him some that have shriveled up from too much water and I think he's got it. Not a big deal as he is so much help in so many ways.

We got the van filled with old tires today. We also have a couple of trail loads of palm logs from earlier in the week. And a big pile of soil from when neighbor Tom had our shared road/driveway backhoed. Tony and I are are like a couple of kids with lots of stuff to play with. We are having some of our best weather now and I'm much more mobile now that my foot is better so we're having a good time.

Flame trees are in full bloom in town. Starting to bloom where I am Lots of plumarias blooming.

We had twelve hawks circling the arroyo west of us today. There are two nests on telephone poles. All the songbirds stay near my house cause I have so many trees and bushes which protect them. They are hard on some of my little plants but I like waking up to their cheerful singing. I protect what I can with old fan covers. I got a big bag of sunflower seeds to plant. Have to see if any survive to grow.

hugs, katie
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 21, 2011
7:01 AM

Post #8577312

good morning.

Katie, don't know about your area but sunflowers of every description spring up all over the place. Especially where there is any building and the soil has been disturbed. I have had them as volunteers as the birds drop them from the feeders. Got to be a problem with 7 feeders going year around so now we "cook" the seed to keep it from germinating. Most bird seed is not particularly compatible with my flower garden.

Got pots and soil yesterday for the cuttings I got from Jen. Going get them going today so I can sit them out in the rain. YAY!!! RAIN!
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2011

Post #8577499

Morning all,

Thanks for your reassurance Bellieg, I am not sure which lens they are implanting except they will be mono-something. The Dr said that the ones that have tri focal? have given some people problems and he thinks the mono's are a better choice? I had my eyes measured yesterday and had an EKG done. Found out that I have had a heart attack in the past - unbelievable - can't possibly be me!

Lovely desert rose Pu'oke - I can see why they are addictive.

Happy to hear you were getting some rain yesterday PK, I thought that maybe you were in that band of severe weather that was going up the middle of the country again. Did you catch any of it Pepper?

Well, I rewired the watering system and it works like a dream - thank goodness! It took me a couple of hours as I kept cutting off the wires instead of just stripping them, buying a stripping tool would have probably helped but I didn't have one about my person at the time so I used scissors and found out it takes a very gentle touch! You can't go at it like a bull in a china shop. I am very pleased to have that done.

Off to the beach for a short time this morning to talk story with friends - always enjoyable!

It's going to be another pretty day - here is a pic of early yesterday morning from the Dr's parking lot...

Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2011
8:54 AM

Post #8577504

And this morning from our house - it's going to be a beaut!

katiebear
mulege
Mexico

May 21, 2011
9:08 AM

Post #8577520

I had two catarac surgeries about seven or eight years ago with no complications. I use reading glasses from the 99cent store. No problems driving or gardening. They gave me a plastic card that says what the lens is but it's outside in my purse.

Tony and I took down a section of tire wall and are laying out tires in accordance with what I envisioned yesterday. It is looking very good. We are both delighted that after five or six years of a little work here and a little there and never being real happy with the results that things are coming together in a big way.

Wish my body was more able to keep up with my ideas but I'm grateful when I can help even a little for a couple of hours. I'm getting lots of seeds started so's to have plants for the arroyo. Lots of them will have to wait until fall as our hot weather will be here in a month or less.

hugs, katie
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 21, 2011
3:52 PM

Post #8578059

We got some weather yesterday but it wasn't nearly as bad as they had predicted.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 21, 2011
4:02 PM

Post #8578075

Thanks Jenny.
Spent the day watering as our 30 percent chance of rain dried up. Did some trimming in the front garden as it is already getting shaggy. We need rain. I think we should build pipelines around the country like they do for oil, so we can pipe in the water from the flooding places!.

Strophanthus preussii - Poison Arrow Vine

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 21, 2011
4:09 PM

Post #8578086

I moved my metal sculpture flowers to the front today. They have been there before. They were kind of lost in the back so moved them again. The have a giant chain and padlock around the base.

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 21, 2011
4:12 PM

Post #8578094

Some Texas Clematis, bell shaped

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 21, 2011
4:15 PM

Post #8578096

the ever invasive clerodendrum bungei getting ready to bloom

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 21, 2011
4:16 PM

Post #8578100

they are nice when blooming

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 21, 2011
5:18 PM

Post #8578191

The sculptures look great there on the porch!!

I have been pretty busy today. We babysitted my nephew today, who's 3 and a major handful and went to a benefit breakfast for a local officer who had been shot in the line of duty I think it was 2 years ago now. He sustained alot of damage and recently had to have the leg that had been shot amputated. Medical bills are major so the area is pitching in to help him. My nephew even got to meet him and got to learn that he didn't have to be afraid of him and his leg. Super nice guy and I am glad we went and helped contribute.

Then we had a grad party for a friend this afternoon so spent a few hours there this afternoon. My nephew found some pudldles and promptly got dirty, wet and stinky!! LOL. We had a good time though. Now just sitting here watching local weather people talk about multiple funnel clouds and tornadoes in Kansas ans Missouri though well north of me.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 21, 2011
6:55 PM

Post #8578383

RJ, you brought two bungei to me and I now have some 25. Have been giving them away and when I dig one, two more appear. All are loaded with buds and I love them.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 22, 2011
3:43 AM

Post #8578844

Hi, everyone.

I thought I'd peek in here while my morning pot of elixir of life (coffee) is brewing. It should be done soon. I'll have my habitual very large pot to your health in a few minutes. My first thought this morning is that I had survived the end of the world. I also thought that I had expected to be the end of the world to a bit more chaotic. I never even realized it was going on. Maybe I should check the news before I jump to conclusions. I'm quite sure the rest of the planet is still there.

Randy, those poison arrow vines are delightful. I have got to look them up. That would be an interesting addition to my vine trellis where a passiflora foetida is currently trying to take over our little house. It would be fun to plant them together and see who wins; not to mention that the blooms are very interesting.

I purchased a very handsome alocasia and a newly hybridized philodendron directly from the hybridizer in Homestead on Wednesday. I had been to his place a couple times, but he was never there. On those previous visits, they couldn't sell anything in his absence because a lot of that stuff had just come back from the tissue culture lab. They just didn't know what could be sold to the public. It helped to speak to the Grand Poobah. We got along very well. I like people who get a twinkle in their eyes when they speaks about aroids. I love aroids. Well, I love anything that readily grows large leaves without having to water it with Holy Water from the Pope's private koi pond.

Coffee is ready. Have a great day, everyone.
Pu'ole, a.k.a. Sylvain.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 22, 2011
6:58 AM

Post #8579169

I loooove your style!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 22, 2011
4:45 PM

Post #8580260

Been dealing with tornadoes around here. The front appears to have moved east some now so I should be in the clear but we had a funnel cloud just north of me and it eventually became a small tornado about an hour later. Still under a tornado watch but for the most part in the clear. Had a hail storm at one point too. Got a bit of damage to the truck but with some touchup paint I can take care of it.
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

May 22, 2011
7:10 PM

Post #8580603

There's some fruit news here. I have one little fig on one of the two fig trees that I've had for five or six years. I've given away rooted cuttings which have produced but this is the first for me. There is also a papaya turning yellow on the tree which I gave neighbor Dana. Since she and her husband Tom are back in Washington for the summer and Tony is taking care of their place we will get to share it.

Tony just called and he has to take his son Antonio to the clinic in Santa Rosalia tomorrow for a problem with his foot. I did odds and ends today and will probably do more of the same tomorrow. I am enjoying our spring-tinto-summer weather, especially in another month or so we will be in survival mode with heat and humidity.

I have a bunch of little arhat plants and I'm researching where they might grow best. Not a lot of information out there.

Scout the visiting dog is now part of the family. Jon may come back someday but we're not holding our breath. Scout like to bark at night with Amber and Jenny. I'm glad they're bonding but wish they'd be quieter about it. I usually put out three containers of food for them That's enough that everyone can eat without fighting. It is funny to see them go from one bowl to another just to see if some are better than others. Like they sniff bones before taking them - like wine connessours.

I've been dealing with pain and I have news: pain sucks. It adds to both depression and tiredness. I can work a few hours a day now - I think - but my mind is fuzzy and I have to be very careful. My house doesn't look like much - as neighbors Dana and Tom would be quick to tell you - but, as Tony and I would tell you we have made huge improvements and we're delighted with things here. The house is liveable. There is a lot of shade (which we have worked for and whhich Dana envies). Lots of fenced areas for the dogs to play. Nice since I can't walk them.

I could spend my time dusting or enjoying. I mostly choose enjoying.

I've had to take more pain killers than usual today but they are finally working. I should be able to sleep.

Lots of little plants coming up and lots more seeds to plant - later.

hugs, katie
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 24, 2011
9:07 AM

Post #8584241

Oh wonderful! The buyer for MIL's house has finally called the title company and set things in motion. Possibly close by Friday or Monday.
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

May 24, 2011
9:22 AM

Post #8584290

Great news, Christi.

Tony has gone to take his father to the local clinic. He has to take Antonio to Santa Rosalila for another x-ray of his foot.

Our weather is beginning to warm up a bit but it's still very nice. We are getting what we can done on the arroyo while it is still cool enough to work down there. It is on the west side of the property and really heats up in the summer. One thing we are doing is maximizing what shade there is and putting in more heat and drouth tolerant trees to eventually get more shade.

Tony got some 1/4 inch wire in Santa Rosalia - about $9 per yeard. Yikes.

I'm doing laundry. Tony did the dishes before he left to take his father to the clinic. The man knows how to soften me up.

I am enjoying our beautiful weather.

hugs, katie

P.S. Scout the visiting dog seems right at home now.

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 24, 2011
5:12 PM

Post #8585103

Christi, I hope you are taking shelter from the storm!!
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 25, 2011
9:11 AM

Post #8586391

wish you'd send a storm my way Christi!
The giant Gerbera daisy decided to show itself this year!

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 25, 2011
10:41 AM

Post #8586580

Hey pepper, I think you and I both live in tornado alley. My son lives in Tulsa (when he is not traveling for his company) and he is in Wichita, KA this week. Last week he was in Joplin and the hotel he was in is no more. He has many friends in Joplin. communication there is still sketchy so he doesn't know who was involved or not. Last night looked like we were truly gonna get it. Two funnel clouds to the west and east of us. Thank goodness they didn't touch down. Today is bright and beautiful. We are blessed. RJ, you definitely don't the kind of storms that have been through here. Observation here: have always been told that lightening would activate the nitrogen...two nights in a row we have had severe thunder storms...I think the grass grew two inches in that time. The other plants are greeeeen. We didn't get that much rain, just high winds and lightening.
extranjera
Mérida, Yucatán
Mexico
(Zone 11)

May 25, 2011
11:35 AM

Post #8586670

That's interesting about lightening activating nitrogen, I'd never heard that but it sure seems true. Stay safe all of you up where the tornados are, very scary.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 25, 2011
5:53 PM

Post #8587287

We had alot of funnel clouds and tornadoes in our area today. Around 10 am or so they issued a tornado watch and not 2 minutes later tornado warnings. From then on til about 3pm it was a very active and very scary situation with absoutely no one safe around here. I spent an hour in the basement waiting out the storms. I would think the warnings would be allowed to expire and a new cell would pop up and be rotatiing. Tornadoes did touch down in Louisburg, KS and Sedalia, MO. Sedalia suffered quite a bit of damage to the south side of town.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 25, 2011
5:53 PM

Post #8587291

Here is a link to pictures of Joplin. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1389737/Joplin-MO-tornado-At-89-dead-twister-cuts-4-mile-swathe-Missouri-town.html
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 25, 2011
6:45 PM

Post #8587406

Amanda, my son is in Wichita today and he said he stayed in a customers storm shelter for a couple of hours. I know he would have been big brave Marcus if his customer hadn't insisted. I pray you and your family are safe. This year has been a big baddy for natural disasters. Only thing man has absolutely no control...weather. One way Our God has of reminding us He is omnipotent.

Take care, sweetheart.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 25, 2011
6:58 PM

Post #8587429

It was a wild day for sure. I've never seen a situation where so many towns and counties had to take shelter all at once.

We are safe here. The tornadic activity is done for the night and we are just getting rain.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 25, 2011
7:02 PM

Post #8587442

Oddly, we have had extreme thunder and lightening the last two nights but NO RAIN. How strange.

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 25, 2011
7:03 PM

Post #8587450

Rain, hail, you name it we had it. lol. No flooding yet though. If doesn't quit raining we might. Creeks are running a bit high.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 25, 2011
7:42 PM

Post #8587564

Ground/soil in Texas is so unstable a basement is prohibitive. In the olden days everyone build a cellar. Rarely see such these days but the danger is still very real. I might have to check into such.

Have lived through some 5 tornadoes in my life. None of them were very much fun. Thankfully, I was never hit head on but the peripheral damage was substanstial. I have GREAT RESPECT for what most people call "Mother Nature". In my mind, it is the Rath of God.

Take care.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 26, 2011
5:44 AM

Post #8588015

We did get a thunderstorm and rain last night. Lightning hit right next to the house and about knocked me out of bed.
Happy flowers this morning

katiebear
mulege
Mexico

May 26, 2011
7:02 AM

Post #8588146

We were hit by a hurrican two days after I moved into this "hous" - which at that time was some cement block walls, no windows no roofs. I temporary roof over my bed blew off and I finally slept a little in my RV which also leaked. My crazy neighbor Charles was out on the roof of his shed in the worst of it, trying to nail down roof panels.

It was quite a mess. However, the little house where I had been living up to two days earlier was completely under water. I got dengue fver, was in bed for a week and thatnked God that I had gotten out of the other house.

The house where I live now is well above the flood plain and the worst hurricane we've ever had, about three years ago, barely rouched me. Others lost everything.

One thing that happened during that hurricane was that I was on my way home from Ca., knowing that the hurrican was slowly headed our way, when the hurrican speeded up. It's the one that hit Mulege the hardest ever and I got held up when the road went out. I spent several days under a portoco about 60 miles north of Mulege. I had several books and a lot of boxes of crayons for Christmas so I read a lot and handed out boxes of crayons to all the children. I remember especially that many of the children who had siblings were happy that the each got their own box of crayons and didn't have to share.

Meanwhile, the road from the town of Mulege east to where I live was washed out. The part of the story that most surprises people is that Tony, my friend who works for me, stayed at my house. until I got back. several days. He and his wife have a large extended family and he ended up with 28 people in their two-bedroom house. He stayed to my house mostly to be sure my dogs were OK. When people are surprised at that (think of New Orleans plicemen who desserted when Katrina hit) I say it's a measure of our relationship. When I did get home the twenty-five pounds of brown rice and ham that I'd brought back with me immediately went to Tony's family. Whcih is also my family.

We have been spared since but we take nothing for granted.

My schotia tree lost a lot of its top leaves and this year is the first time that the whole tree has leaves. I didn't lose any of my trees, nor was there damage to my house.

Enough of memory lane. Tony is taking his son Antonio to Santa Rosalia for x-rays so he won't be here today. He put in a long day yesterda, moving soil in the arroyo. Our plan is now clear so we can work without stopping to think or maybe change things. It's kind of fun to have some mindless work to do.

It's another lovely day here.

hugs, katie
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 26, 2011
7:52 AM

Post #8588213

I've told you this before, Katie, but once again...YOU ARE ONE STRONG WOMAN.

RJ, petunias? They are beautiful but not your usual kind of choice.

Been deadheading the annuals/perennials and trying to decide which ones to pull up. I have other things pushing through the ground and the larkspur are overshadowing much of it. Finished cutting the seed heads of the poppies I had already pulled up. The stalks are on the curb today.

Mike is gone to his mother's at the assisted living facility. Yesterday the title company e-mailed me all the papers with a cover letter with instructions. I marked each page as to what it is and marked where she is to sign. They have a person there who is a notary and only 4 pages must be witnessed. He called and said he had another appointment at 10, come now. Kind of glad I didn't have to go. One less stressful encounter.
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2011
9:00 AM

Post #8588326

Aloha,

I am so very happy to hear that the tornados missed you both - I have been watching the TV while at work, and it's just horrific. I don't ever remember such an active year in all the years that I have lived in this country.

Sylvain, was it you that paid over $31,000 for Princess Bea's hat?

PK, so glad to read that your MIL's house is almost settled, it's been a long road to get to this point. Did you manage to get rid of the things that were left over?

Katie, I'm with PK - you really are a strong lady!

My boss is finally back at work today so I am off until Sunday - YEA! I am having a light put in over the dining table and I came home last evening to a real mess. The ceiling has a whole chunk taken out in order to run the electricity, furniture all piled into one corner, etc, etc. I guess you have to break some eggs to make an omelette, but I will be glad when everything is back to normal! They are also replacing the wood on all five of the windows that are up near the ceiling that have termite damage, at least this new wood is treated lumber instead of the untreated that the house was built with in the seventies, so we should be good to go when it's all done.

The figs are starting to ripen a few at a time. The birds are having a field day, especially the little white eyes who seem to love them. One of them sat two inches from Franks hand and scolded him as he was picking yesterday morning. It really was quite funny.

We are starting to get our summer weather here now, although the temps only stay in the eighties the sun is very strong. Mom and I work from 7 until 9.30 in the morning and after that it's too hot to be anywhere but the deep shade. We are winning the war with the Monkey Pod tree, the new leaves have come out overnight and the mess is getting less and less everyday. Mom is happy - it's almost over for another year!

Not to sure what I am going to do in the garden this morning, I haven't had a chance to even walk around to pick my battle, but I do have some small trees that have to get their feet in the ground so that will be my first job. I also need to clean out the pond filters - man! I hate that job!

I hope you all have a lovely day.

Jenn

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 26, 2011
9:06 AM

Post #8588344

Hi, everyone.

I have a bevy of question here. I know someone will be able to answer them.

I have somehow become known in our development as a good place to bring unwanted or distressed plants. Yesterday, someone dropped off an autralian fern tree (cyathea cooperii). It's about 14 inches high with 2 fronds. It was dug up using a teaspoon, or a 2X4... I can't be quite sure. It was then unceremoniously thrown into a cracked plastic pot and left here.

On with the questions: I don't have any space in my garden for such a thing, but I do like the way they look. I can, however, house it in a very large terracota pot. Would it do well in there? What kind of light should I aim for? I can provide everything from full sun to full shade. What about watering, fertilizing and such?

Oh, and I am getting 2 more buds on my lotus plants. I can't wait! And I'll avail myself of my bragging rights and post pictures of the blooms.

Take care, everyone.
Pu'ole, aka Sylvain.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 27, 2011
6:36 AM

Post #8590407

Sylvain, RJ has had an Australian Fern for several years growing in the middle of his pond. I would suggest you check with him because he has become an expert on this matter, as he is on all things gardening. I would think you should be flattered to be the recipient of some distressed plants. It is obvious to your neighbors that you have the midas touch. Actually, I have found that the green thumb is at the end of a lot of elbow grease.

I bought an Austrailian Fern at Home Depot 3-4 years ago. Had to give it away as any contact would give me a rash like poison ivy. Don't think that is true for most people.

PK

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 27, 2011

Post #8590589

Hi.

I am blessed with the kind of skin found in barnyard animals. Plants reported to cause reactions and irritations in others don't bother me in the least. I guess that's lucky.

Sylvain.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

May 27, 2011
11:40 AM

Post #8590903

Sylvain, so glad to hear your lotus are blooming. I just had my first flower this week, so very late for here.

We don't have basements here either, the water table is too high. Tornados along the coast are very rare but one did come down here about 10 years ago killing a woman.

There are storm clouds all around us today but no rain and it has been more than a month since we have had some. We are due and I hope mother nature agrees with me.
alice
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

May 27, 2011
12:40 PM

Post #8590994

I managed about an hour-and-a-half in the arroyo today. Tony made it a little longer and we got part of a PERMANENT path done and lot of soil moved. It's so funny. To look at it, it's big mounds of oil and rock, a bunch of dead aplm laogs and a lot of old tire, most just kind of tossed together. But I look at it and see how beautiful it's going to be.there are several magenta bouganvillas which bloom almost constantly. As we get the PERMANENT (I love that word) paths done I have lots of aloes and other succulents which can go in between the tires.

With Tony's help I'm putting together my first tipsy pot (See the Trash to Treasure forum if you don't know what this is, or Google it). I cut the rebar and got the base done, then found I don't have enough strength in my arms to pound the rebar into the soil. Tony to the rescue. I've started stacking the pots. I have little portulaca and marigolds I can plant in them.

This is getting to be fun. We have spent so much of our time and effort on the bones - the fruit trees, windows, roofs, floors, brownbagging some walls, building up the soil, and collecting materials that doing some flowers is a real treat. I've no regrets on how we set our priorities - I llike to think of Tonys' grandchildren (as yet unborn) living here and enjoying the fruits (literally) of our labor. And we are demonstrating some profound improvements that can be done with very little money.

I have several little cherimoya trees which will go in when they're a bit bigger. I also have six or seven of some kind of coral tree. I collected the seeds from a tree in Chula Vista and now have enough to use for the top of the tire terrace.

Today I was remembering something that Ruth Stout wrote in one of her gardening books. She had a young man helping her in the garden but he didn't like the work and she let him go because she didn't want to eat food grown by a person who did not enjoy gardening. While neighbors like Dana and Tom look down their noses at what we're doing I think of all the joy that has gone into our work. To each his own, I guess.

Time for a late lunch.

hugs, katie
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

May 31, 2011
8:57 AM

Post #8599186

Aloha everyone,

Work is over for another week - Yea! The Island is quieter now, most of the winter visitors are gone and the summer visitors are not here until school on the mainland lets out - it is nice to have the roads to ourselves again! We have few visitors checking in, so I have been spending my time working on my quilt while waiting for them to arrive - I am lucky that my Manager doesn't mind what I am up to!

I hope everyone had a nice Memorial Weekend, I saw lots of local families having Luau's along the beaches and in the beach parks on my way to work - it looked like a lot of fun and the smell of roasting pig wafted over all day - gosh it made me hungry!

The construction work at home will be continuing today - nothing quite like construction dust! Too bad as I have some friends coming over this afternoon and everything will be in total disarray - oh well, we can at least sit out on the lanai and visit.

We have had my FIL (who is 95) in hospital for a few days after he collapsed, had a blood pressure of 40/20, and was unresponsive. After every test known to man, they still don't know what was wrong with him, but it's been quite a worry. He is back in the assisted care home again and seems to be fine...

I hope you have all those documents signed now PK, and everything is good to go with your MIL's home.

Nice to hear that you have your PERMANENT paths in Katie, I have to look up tipsy pots - they sound like fun.

My plans for today (besides doing the usual laundry, etc) include taking a large rug down to the lower patio and hosing it off. The constuction guys managed to get stuff all over it even though it was rolled up out of the way. I just hope that I don't ruin it - at least the sun is strong enough to dry it quickly, I hope! Not really exciting stuff is it? LOL!

I haven't got a clue about what is going on in the garden as I haven't even set foot in it for days. It's always a surprise to see how much changes in a few days...From my window I can see that an orchid tree is full of bloom, and it looks very pretty.

I hope everyone has a lovely day.

Jenn

katiebear
mulege
Mexico

May 31, 2011
10:03 AM

Post #8599309

Hi Everyone,

Our weather has been a little cooler than usual adn we are enjoying it. Tony and I (more Tony than I to tell the truth) have been able to continue work in the arroyo. I've not had to turn on the air conditioning yet.

Lots of plants are growing well. They like the weather, too. Lots of plumarias blooming. The schotia is making seeds while the flame tree starts to bloom. A lucky accident of planting.

My house sounds like an aviary. The schotia tree in bloom has so much nectar that all the birds came to ffeast in it. Many of them are sticking around and they are a talky bunch. Every couple of days one of them flies n the house.

There are lots of hummingbirds around, too. There is one that is an irridescent green that is just beautiful.

Scout the visiting dog who may be permanent is exhibiting some jealousy of my other dogs. She is used to being the only dog in the home. At most, she's only had to deal with one other dog, so having four others share the space and the people seems to be hard at times.

It's 11:00 am and I'm worn out. I have a couple of errands to do in town if I can stay awake.

Tony and I are doing an area of the arroyo where we have to get it right or risk having to re-do it. However, once we get it laid out a lot of the rest of the work will fall in place. At least for that area. I think it might turn out to be a good area for the dragonfruit.

Must get moving. Have a good day everyone.

hugs, katie
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 2, 2011
6:19 AM

Post #8603566

The Hawaiians are better at the C. Cooperi than I. They are picky (except in Hawaii) and like undercover light- They grow under the canopy. I've seen folks grow them here in pots and they've gotten to be about 4 feet high. Mine is at the edge of a pond, they don't like being over watered, or under watered. A bit of water down the throat so that the hairs get wet as I understand that is part of their root system. Mine is a C. Australis and is much hardier than the Cooperi.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 2, 2011
3:13 PM

Post #8604542

Thank you, RJ. Mine is in dappled shade and it gets water every other day when I do the rounds and douse every potted plant well. I haven't had it long, but it is not showing any signs of stress. I am anxiously awaiting the first frond.

The lotus should bloom again any day now and I will be posting pictures. Aren't bragging rights awesome? People will show you pictures of their kids and grandkids. To each his own. This is a big thing for me. I have wanted a blooming lotus since I started gardening in Montreal: not the best climate to grow lotus, even in the middle of summer.

I planted a pineapple crown last night and a critter of the night made off with it. Silly raccoons! It probably wants to grow its own pineapples.

In other news, one of the mice I keep on hand to feed my ball python (Lucy) had babies in the middle of the night. That's all I need: a menagerie of baby mice. But they are pinkies and awful cute. Mice, left to their own device will reproduce. I wouldn't mind if mice didn't stink so badly. Oy, how they stink! The things we do for out pets. But Lucy is worth it.

Oh, BTW... with apologies to our beloved LooC: I didn't pick the snake's name. That unfortunate animal was abandonned here 2 years ago, lock stock and barrell. We started caring for her and raising her. Now, she's our darling baby. Lucy was rescued twice: once from a horrid pet shop that didn't know how to care for her, and a second time by Gail and I, who took care of her after her owner wasn't in a position to care for her. Now, if anyone so much as looks at Lucy in a cross way, Gail goes after that person with her cane and walker. She's not fast but she's persistent. No good can come of that, I assure you. Be afraid of Gail, be very afraid. It's always the quiet ones that you have to watch for. You have all been warned.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

June 2, 2011
3:38 PM

Post #8604593

Today Tony picked two papayas from a tree that I gave neighbors Dana and Tom over a year ago. The green papayas sat all winter doing nothing. As it has warmed up they began turning yellow. Tony took one and I took one which I just ate (sorry, no pictures) and it was very good. The Hawiian type which are not usually grown around here. I think if they are planted in my most southern location with some protection from winter cold I may be able to grow more. I am encouraged.

Getting ready to leave for Ca. Maybe tomorrow but I had a bit of a stomach bug today so we'll wee. Amma will be in L for almost a week, starting the 10th and I do want to see her even though it is increasingly a mob scene.

Today our weather really warmed up which may be why my stomach rebelled. Tony got the van cleaned up inside and out and I don't have much packing to do so we'll see how things are tomorrow.

hugs, katie

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 7, 2011
7:26 AM

Post #8615112

Please allow me to bore you with what's in bloom here today. A celadine plumeria.

Sylvain.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 7, 2011
7:26 AM

Post #8615115

A lotus (nelumbo nucifera).

Sylvain.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 7, 2011
7:28 AM

Post #8615118

Gail's favorite bush: snow on the mountain. Does anyone know that plant's latin name? I tried looking it up and there are so many plants called snow on the mountain, it's not even funny.

Thanks.
Sylvain.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 7, 2011
7:30 AM

Post #8615120

My philodendrons are really enjoying their full shade, windy corner. It's not such a great picture, but I love my philos.

Sylvain.

Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

June 7, 2011
8:06 AM

Post #8615221

Aloha,

Nice pictures from your garden! Could Gail's favorite bush be what we call here an Hawaiian Snow Bush - Breynia nivosa?
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 7, 2011
8:06 AM

Post #8615223

What a wonderful decision you made when you and Gail moved from the condo. You are a natural born gardener. Beautiful plants.

PK
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 7, 2011
8:07 AM

Post #8615230

Jen, every single "stick" you sent has growth on it now. Must take some pictures and send to you.
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

June 7, 2011
8:09 AM

Post #8615238

So glad the sticks are growing for you PK!

Forgot to add a very Happy Birthday to RJ - today's his day!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 7, 2011
8:12 AM

Post #8615246

That's right. Happy Birthday, Randy. Hope you have a really big celebration. Thursday, June 9th, the Gibson's will be married 50 years. Sure surprised a lot of people...including us.

PK

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 7, 2011

Post #8615247

Happy Birthday, RJ.

Sylvain.
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

June 7, 2011
10:59 AM

Post #8615567

Happy birthday, RJ. Enjoy yourself and don't eat too much cake.

hugs, katie
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 7, 2011
12:36 PM

Post #8615789

Thanks guys- am getting fat with a chocolate butter cake at work!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 7, 2011
5:15 PM

Post #8616313

Happy Birthday Rj!!! Chocolate butter cake, YUM!!!!!!

My plumies are finally starting to show signs of growth also. Right now it's just buds starting to become something but it's something!! lol

Syvain, plants are looking great!!

Nicotiana and catmint

Thumbnail by pepper23

Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

June 9, 2011
7:39 AM

Post #8619791

Happy 50th wedding anniversary Christi and Mike!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 9, 2011
8:36 AM

Post #8619917

Thank you, Jen. We took our anniversary trip 3 years ago to the home of a very good friend. Experience of a lifetime. Kids are doing a party Sunday. Today, we are doing the usual...nothing.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

June 9, 2011
11:40 AM

Post #8620306

By 50 years you understand every day is special. Congratulations and I hope you celebrate many more happy years together.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 9, 2011
2:30 PM

Post #8620627

Thank you. If am to be totally honest, they were not allll happy. But we loved each other from the start (18 and 19) so we kept on keepin' on. Worth every minute. Sure surprised a lot people some of whom are no longer married to the original mate.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 9, 2011
5:43 PM

Post #8620945

Happy 50th wedding anniversary Christi and Mike!!!!! Everyday is a special day so even though you aren't doing anything just enjoy each other's company. :~)

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 10, 2011
6:56 AM

Post #8621859

A belated happy anniversary to Christi and Mike. 50 years... how wonderful. I was playing in the sandbox without a care in the world 50 years ago and my mom didn't worry that the neighborhood cats might have used it as a litter box. We did not live in an overly sanitized world back then. When we found a cat's poo in the sand, it was definitely a non-event. We used our little plastic shovels to fling it in the bushes and went on with our lives.

In Canada, if you request it, you can get a congratulatory letter signed by the Prime Minister for your 50th anniversary. You can also petition the Governer General's office to receive a similar letter from Her Majesty the Queen. Gail and I got a letter from the Prime Minister on our 25th anniversary because one of our friends was connected with the PM's office.

Take care, all.
Pu'ole, a.k.a. Sylvain.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 10, 2011
7:35 AM

Post #8621980

Thank you everyone.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 17, 2011
1:58 PM

Post #8636814

Goodness, another 100 degree day and more expected. No rain for more than 6 weeks. Everything looks awful.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 17, 2011
6:22 PM

Post #8637335

We've had rain the last couple days. Not alot but enough that my garden is happy.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 18, 2011
6:02 AM

Post #8638013

We are expecting mid-90s today. We may get some rain. Lately, we have not. I think it's been 6 or 7 weeks since we last saw a decent rain. The grass is yellow, which does nothing to rekindle my interest in grass. Simply put, I hate grass. There, I admitted it and it felt good. But the darned stuff still perk right up when it starts raining again: evil, resource-wasting plant!

Take care, all.
Sylvain.
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

June 18, 2011
9:02 AM

Post #8638312

Aloha all,

Has anybody ever eaten a Rolinia? We went to Mana Foods last weekend where they have all sorts of local fruits that we have never heard of before, and bought one to try. It was delicious! It looked rather like a cherimoya, but tasted just like sweet lemon pie filling. I have 6 of the seeds in pots to see if I can raise my own little trees, although I am not sure if I will be able to grow them happily in my warm, dry area. If anyone comes across this fruit you should give them a try.

I have had a very busy week - workmen and sawdust all over the place as we are having the termite riddled beams replaced in all the rooms. Even if only one beam has been attacked they all have to match in the same room - and wouldn't you know one in every room was eaten away - LOL! To try to save money I have been doing the priming and painting myself. Luckily I have no trouble with heights, but it's still a long way down from the top of a 12 foot ladder! It's taken me the whole week to just get four beams and a window done.

No time to go to the beach this morning because I have to make up the beds and get ready for my daughter Laurie and my grandson Dustin who will be arriving tomorrow while I am at work. We are so looking forward to having them. Frank will have his buddies to go and play with in the ocean - they both are much more competent swimmers than I am. The kayak is dusted off and stands ready and waiting...

I hope everyone is well and surviving the heat that seems to have settled in across much of the mainland.

Jenn

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 18, 2011
5:10 PM

Post #8638946

Love the beams!! I've never heard of Rolinia. Will have to look it up. Sounds interesting. lol

It has been cool this week til today. Today it feels like it's in the 90s though it's only in the mid to high 80s. Have had storms the last 2 nights and have another round coming in tonight. I'm happy with the rain. I don't have to water!! LOL

Heart of the Jungle elephant ear finally popped!! I also bought Kona Coffee ee yesterday. lol. It's hiding in my truck right now til I can plant it somewhere. I'm supposed to be on a buying freeze. I have done good though!! This is the first one in a couple weeks!! LOL

Thumbnail by pepper23

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 19, 2011
5:27 AM

Post #8639723

A Happy Father's Day to all fathers out there.

I must confess to having never heard of Rolinia. It sounds delicious. It's mango season here. The large tree across the street is filled with them and I find some in a plastic bag sitting on my outdoor table every day. Doreen puts them there. At first, we go on a mango frenzy. Now, the mangos arrive faster than we can eat them. So, I remove the flesh, discard seed and skin and freeze the flesh for later use. They are so good. For Northerners like us, it is such a genuine treat to eat warm ripe mangos right off the tree.

The weather office keeps on predicting rain but we only get a few clouds here and there. This is the worst drought I have seen since moving here 6 years ago. I even went out at night a few days ago to dance naked in the full moon, but no dice. I'll have to resort to some other way to shock Mother Nature to send us some rain.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

June 19, 2011
6:02 AM

Post #8639770

I just love mango in any form. Remember me when you wipe your mouth from eating too much off the tree!!! LOL!!! We have to contend on store bought and nectar from the grocery store Belle
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 19, 2011
4:47 PM

Post #8640940

We've been having storms every night for the last several nights. Expecting another tonight.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 20, 2011
4:00 AM

Post #8641795

Hi.

We gopt a bit of rain and lots of thunder, but not enough moisture to get us out of this drought.

Drought is so depressing. I am not one to fawn at the sight of a well-manucured lawn, but brown lawns truly get me down. At least the golf courses are also under the watering ban. They had always been exempt from watering restrictions before. Let's face it: when the water is gone, it will gone for everybody, so it's only fitting that golf courses be forced to cut down on their consumption. Oh, how I long for the return of the rainy season.

Take care, all
Sylvain.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

June 20, 2011
5:25 AM

Post #8641906

Amen to that! Our golf courses are finally required to use "re-cycled" water.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 20, 2011
1:33 PM

Post #8642895

our golf courses are brown.
We pretty much haven't had rain since October (rained in my neighborhood twice)- Lake Houston is 5 feet below normal.
We do have the most chance of rain this week that we've had since last year...so..fingers crossed.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

June 20, 2011
3:44 PM

Post #8643124

I am glad we came first week of May where we played 5 times in Houston and vicinity. The grass were still lush. Belle
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 20, 2011
5:01 PM

Post #8643277

Have more storms hitting tonight.
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

June 20, 2011
9:28 PM

Post #8643793

I'm home safe from my trip to Ca. All went really well with Amma for six days.

It is hot and humids here and it hardly ever rains except when we get a hurricane.

Got five happy dogs.

hugs, katie

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 21, 2011
5:15 AM

Post #8644080

Sylvain,

You lost your Storm Thong?????? ROTFLMAO

My question for the day is...If we are in such dire straights with water, why are we sill building and building more condos, etc????? DERN, I have been here for 28 years, I get first dibs on the water!!!!!!!!

Hap

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 21, 2011
9:39 AM

Post #8644600

Oh Nancy, Nancy, dearest Nancy... The Storm Thong is safely kept in the utility room, in a safe box with digital combination. I dare not pull it out and wear to dance under the full moon on account of the havoc it can wreak on the weather systems worldwide. We have been without a Big H... since I got here 6 hears ago, so why tempt the fates?

But I haven't forgotten about it. Desperate times call for desparate measures and who knows what lies ahead. I am concerned, however, that it is now a bit too big for me. No problem. I have a sewing machine and I can make it fit again. It's one thing to dance under the full moon in a purple spandex thong, but having it drop down around your knees during the performance is definitely a fashion faux pas.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 22, 2011
5:41 AM

Post #8646384

ROTFLMAO!!!!!
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

June 22, 2011
8:50 AM

Post #8646695

Oh Pepper - what a pretty planter that has turned out to be! LOL on the coffee hiding in the truck! What an unbelievable number of storms are hitting your part of the mainland, I check out everyone's area of the country every morning on the TV...some need no more rain while others (like Sylvain) can't wait to get outside and wear a purple spandex thong even though it could be quite a show if that elastic isn't tightened!

We are really enjoying having the kids here even though it's quite like bedlam with the construction still going on at the same time.

Laurie and Dustin (they will kill me for posting this!)

Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

June 22, 2011

Post #8646699

Dustin is helping his grandpa around the garden...

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 22, 2011
8:56 AM

Post #8646708

Sylvain! You are a hoot. How I would love to hear your stories with your French accent.

Jen, becareful on those tall ladders. Friend of my son's fell 14 feet and crushed both feet. He has had numerous operations and the prognosis is not good.

Pepper,
Thinking Missouri doesn't need anymore water for awhile.

Last two nights we have had blessed thunderstorms. What a difference it makes. City water just doesn't cut it no matter how much you use.

Currently, we are being overrun with Argentine Ants. Internet says there is no viable treatment. They don't sting but they do bite me and I have large whelps from allergic reaction. Other thing we are watching is the giant cicada killer wasp. must be 2 inches long. Mounds all over the backyard.
I think that is what has been getting the Swallowtail cats.

Going to work at rearranging my sewing room today. Boy, what a mess.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 22, 2011
8:59 AM

Post #8646711

Jen, we cross posted. Beautiful family. Looks more like brother and sister than mother and son.
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

June 22, 2011
9:13 AM

Post #8646740

Mornin' PK! Good luck with that sewing room, every now and then I make an attempt at organizing my sewing stuff but the trouble is that I have too much fabric and odds and ends! This is what I have been doing for the last couple of years - yes, you did read that right - a couple! Not sure I will ever be finished! This is when I had it spread out on the floor to baste the quilt, backing and batting together...It's turning out to be quite a beast to handle!

Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

June 22, 2011
9:15 AM

Post #8646748

Just read that Katie is back home over the border safely! Welcome home, Katie!
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

June 22, 2011
9:39 AM

Post #8646796

Hi everyone,

Yes, I am home saffe and sort of sound. Couldn't sleep my first night back but got about twqelve hours last night in my air-conditioned bedroom. I'm still hacking from my cold but feel pretty good.

Lots of new growth while I was gone. Two flowers on one of my dragonfruit plants which is very exciting. Lost most of my little arhat plants but reminded Tony, who felt quite guilty, that these things happen. We have about twelve small cherimoya trees and lots of little goldenfruit plants. The latter is one I have big hopes for here. It's one of the newly touted superfoods and sounds like it is well-suited for our climate - and poor soil.

Two out of three of my Logees blueberries are putting out new growth, the third might be dead. I've got five purple cup and saucer vines doing well; they should be perrennial here.

Brought two big bags of bird seed. I love hearing the birds around the house. Some sunflowers are blooming now and I have lots more seeds.

Tony's wife Fely is thrilled with the stainless steel cookware I brought back for her and the shoes for Antonio, who just had foot surgery, are a perfect fit. I love having a family that appreciates me.

Time with Amma was wonderful. She has hugged millions of people and she asked, through her translater, where I'm living now and why she doesn't see me as often as she used to. I about swooned but managed to tell her that I'm living in Mexico now so I don't see her as often as I used; however, I assurred her, I am "always with my Amma."

After Amma, I had to have a tooth pulled. My first and maybe only extraction of an adult tooth. The dentist told me everything else looks good and complimented me on how well I've taken care of my teeth. Hoping the rest will last as long as I do.

While with Amma a new friend told me of a powder she was using on some bites she had. I got some (at Amma's bookstore) and it is healing up the sores on my arms!! They can be very painful and get really nasty when I'm playing in the dirt so I'm really happy about that.

Took my time coming home due to cold and dental work. It's so good to know that Tony is here taking care of things while I'm gone so I don't have to worry.

Today is in the mid 80's and the humidity is creeping up. The plants love it while we people hunker down for another long, hot, but beautiful summer.

hugs, katie
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 22, 2011
12:03 PM

Post #8647134

Oh Jen. That takes my breathe away. I took lessons many,many years ago and pieced one sampler quilt. It takes a mathematical genuis to do the pattern you have selected. Will you hand quilt it? My mother always had two or three quilts going in different stages at one time. When she pased she had one in the frame and another ready for a frame. There must be enough pieces cut for 10 more very large quilts. My thimble finger was cut when I was a toddler and it is deformed. Makes it very difficult to do the beautiful rocking motion required to do those tiny stitches. I have all of her quilting supplies and have guilt for not keeping them in use. When do you have time to sleep?

PK
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

June 22, 2011
12:54 PM

Post #8647234

That gorgeous "beast" of a quilt would have taken me decades, not years - if I could have possibly done it at all which is doubtful. Wow, you have done a fabulous job.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 22, 2011
5:49 PM

Post #8647855

LOVE the quilt!!! It's gorgeous!!!

Pk, parts of Missouri could still use rain but those around the Missouri River basin and here in my area for the most part are good on rain. But it's all soaking in so really no complaints. Except I can't weed my veggie bed and I have weird weeds in there. lol. I have a plant that looks like sedum but not sure that it is. Can't get rid of it!! Might have to cardboard the garden this winter. I haven't done it yet because I always get a few potatoes and onions that survive winter and start growing in the spring. I want those volunteers!! lol

Sylvain,. ROTFL over you!!

Your daughter and grandson are gorgeous!! And super happy looking.

Katie, my blueberries are ripening now. I have 2 in pots, one which needs to go in a bigger pot. But a big spider that is bigger than my palm owns the old chicken house where I store my stuff. He can have it!! lol. I'm not messing with him.
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

June 23, 2011
9:31 AM

Post #8648988

Aw shucks! I would rather machine quilt the Beast in order to get it done faster as I am sick of the sight of it! I don't think all that fabric will fit under the sewing machine head though...we'll see. It doesn't take any great math skills I can assure you, otherwise I have been lost before I even started!

Lol on that huge spider Pepper, I would give it a wide berth too!

Good to have you back home Katie - isn't it amazing how much a garden changes in just a week or two?

Fighting for computer time with the kids here! Yesterday morning was spent paddle boarding. It's great fun, but very tiring as you have to use every muscle you have to keep your balance and not get dunked.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 23, 2011
10:32 AM

Post #8649123

OMG, OMG, OMG! That picture is a quilt? I hadn't clicked on it before I read other posts that came after it. It is magnificient. My grandmothers both quilted and Gail's great-aunt was a quilter, too. What a beauty! What size is it? I have to print a picture of it for Gail. She'll flip. Congratulations on that.

Sylvain.
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

June 23, 2011
10:58 AM

Post #8649157

Mahalo Sylvain - it's king sized - trust me to bite off more than I can chew...
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

June 23, 2011
11:18 AM

Post #8649195

I love the colors, Jenn. If you are tired of it you can send it over here.

kb
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 23, 2011
12:25 PM

Post #8649324

Love the quilt Jen! It is just beautiful! We finally got some rain. We needed it so bad.

Hi Everyone! Hope everyone is well. We are OK.

Jeanne
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

June 23, 2011
1:42 PM

Post #8649511

Nice to see posting Jeanne. You friends here. i am glad you got some rain. Belle

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 23, 2011
3:32 PM

Post #8649737

Gail got quite a kick out of that king-sized quilt. We both agree it's spectacular.

Take care.
Pu'ole, a.k.a. Sylvain.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 23, 2011
3:59 PM

Post #8649786

Cleaning out the book shelves today and it takes forever because I have to do a quick run through of every single one. Rediscovered a treasure..."Hawai'i's Floral Spendor...from Jen with the various plants marked that are growing in her garden of paradise. Pictures just can't do it justice. So glad I found it. The last two years have been unusually difficult in my life and I am just now getting back to "normal". Need a definition for that. Another common phrase these days seems to be ...dysfunctional...show me what ...functional...is. hahahaha Not trying to get too deep. Just one of those things that I ponder ever now and again.

I love every single one of you. Make my day.

Princess Kilikina

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 24, 2011
6:08 AM

Post #8651028

Hi, everyone.

The weatherman predicts scattered showers and thunderstorms here today. I say: not to scattered, if you please. Like Oliver Twist, there I am standing with an empty water bucket, asking "More, Please. I want more".

Cleaning out book shelves. I remember when we left Montreal and we loaded a trailer full of books that had been housed in our house's smallest room. It had euphemistically been called "the library". It had no shelves. Books were piled floor to ceiling, wall to wall. We gave all that to a newly opened assisted living facility. They supplied the trailer and the workers to collect all that. Gail and I now own electronic readers. No more books all over the house! As the nepharious Martha would say: It's a good thing.

Princess, I wish I could make your day. I'm sending you positive vibes. And here is a cattleya orchid that bloomed outside yesterday.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.

katiebear
mulege
Mexico

June 24, 2011
6:38 AM

Post #8651069

That orchid is beautiful. All my orchid plants were stolen by the caretaker at the house where I used to live. However, he got murdered (not by me, really) so I don't hold a grudge.

When we visited my granparents in Florida when I was a kid I loved seeing all the orchids in Cyphrus Gardens which was nearby. Coming from the snows of Michigan's Upper Penninsula it was magical.

Thanks for bringing back the memory.

kb
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 24, 2011

Post #8651283

Wow, Kate. That must be quite a story. Have never attempted an orchid. I already kill too many plants with love.

Sylvain, I, too have a nook. Of course, it is first generation and they keep upgrading and upgrading. All I wanted to do was read and so I am still very satisfied with my purchase. I love going to a website, perusing the book shelves, click a link and instantly the book is in my hands. Magic. I was horrified at the dust bunnies that surrounded my books on the shelves. Many of them still have connections that I don't want to break so I trudge on with all my "stuff" around me.

Next area is the "sewing room". In it's former life it was our daughter's bedroom. We purchased pre-made counter tops from Home Depot and installed them on two walls. Ikea cabinets with glass doors cover a third wall. The closet doors have been gone for years and there are plastic drawers in the little cases stacked all along the wall. The fourth wall is under a high window and covered with a cutting table. In the mid to late 80's I had a partner and we designed and made wearable art. Have a computer sewing machine that also embroiders, two sergers and a good old fashioned White machine. My mother was a quilter for eons and I inherited all of her sewing knick knacks and quilting tools. Have a collection of over 250 vintage pin cushions. They remind me of all the ladies before me that just HAD TO create. Lots and lots of vintage linens as well as about 100 crochet hot pads. I am always amazed at the beauty and craftmanship that went into these little works of art.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 3, 2011
3:53 PM

Post #8670236

Well, sorry everyone, sure didn't intend to kill the thread.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 3, 2011
4:34 PM

Post #8670319

You haven't killed the thread. :~)

I've been busy trying to keep up with weeds in this heat we are dealing with now. Temps have been in the 90s with high humidity so it's hard to keep weeds under control. I am finally getting there though!! lol
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

July 4, 2011
7:23 AM

Post #8671305

The caretaker was kidnapped and murdered by two local druggies who thought they could get some money from him. He ended up dead and they ended up in jail. The new caretaker was no more honest than the old one so I moved shortly thereafter.

I have never gotten back into orchids but I've gotten a kitchen culture kit for tissue culture and lots of people are using those for orchids.

I used to buy orchids in Oakland. I haven't seen any here but I think they would do well.

Our hot and humid weather has arrived and I'm doing well to get up and dressed, let alone get much work done. I try to manage to help Tony at least a little. We are tweeking the path in the little back yard and planning where we will put the seedling papayas when the weather cools off. Which will probably be in October.

hugs, katie
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 4, 2011
8:29 AM

Post #8671492

Goodness, Kate. Did you see that they are warning American citizens to stay away from the border towns this weekend. Expecting an extreme drug war. There is an article in The Dallas Morning News today concerning prestigious private schools from Mexico moving their campuses into the states because of the violence. I hope you are far enough in the boonies to be out of danger. Hot here as well. 100 yesterday and 101 today.
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

July 4, 2011
8:47 AM

Post #8671528

Aloha Everyone,

I had my cataract surgery done last Wednesday and have lived to tell about it! Ended up with a shiner and scarlet eyeball from broken blood vessels so I am quite colorful, but I am starting to see well - heck, in a few days time I should be able to see into the future!

PK, your sewing room sounds like a dream room for anyone who is into sewing, I wish it were mine! I have always been fasinated by those embroidery machines and I have been known to stand for ages and watch the demo's in the stores running all by themselves. Lucky you!

Sylvain must have altered his purple thong because I see that Florida has finally got some much needed rain, Well done!

Such hot weather across the country, I don't know how you are all surviving day after day. My brother who lives in WI had a tornado touch down 3/4 mile from his farm and although he had no damage to his cows or property (except for a couple of very large trees down), all his bales of hay blew away - some as far as 1/4 mile. He spent Sunday with the tractor picking them all up and bringing them back into the fields. They are expecting more severe storms in his area today...

Dustin has gone home and Laurie leaves today. We will miss having them around. Frank has been so happy to have his swimming buddies who can keep up with him in the ocean rather than me, as I am not a very strong or fast swimmer and I don't like to be too far away from the shore line!

We picked our largest ever (so far) bunch of bananas yesterday - Frank judged them to weigh about 70 lbs. That's a lot of bananas! We are going to take some of them down to work today for the visitors to help themselves when they check in, and also some to the fire station as they always enjoy a lot of the excess we produce in the garden. There are certainly times when there is too much of a good thing!

Posting a picture of Dustin and his Great Grandmother (my Mom) I hope everyone has a wonderful and safe 4th.

katiebear
mulege
Mexico

July 4, 2011
9:41 AM

Post #8671613

I am half-way down the Baja penninsula wich puts me 600 miles south of the border. The border towns or big cities seem a world away from where I am. We do have occasional drug problems, as mentioned above, but there are few places in the world where some of these don't exist.

Glad your surgery went well, Jenn. I've had two cataract surgeries and both went well, too.

I've had a couple days of a stomach bug so my "work" has been limited mostly to telling Tony what a good job he is doing. There are places prepared now for me to plant some of my aloes when my stomach stops hurting. I think I'm still recovering form my trip to Ca.

Scout the visiting dog now seems to be a member of the family. We haven't heard from Jon who is rumored to be in Canada. Scout seemed a little sad at first but now she's interacting some with the other dogs and taking her turn to cuddle with me. I thought she might miss the Old Roy dogfood she used to get so I brought some from Walmart but she seems to prefer home-cooked chicken and rice.

My outdoor tub is full so I'll have a soak after Tony leaves.

It is beautiful and quiet here. If the temperature would just drop back to 80 it would be perfect.

hugs, katie

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 4, 2011
9:47 AM

Post #8671622

Jen, glad that your eye procedure is now behind you. My mother had the same and after she was healed she couldn't believe how vivid the colors were. I understand that cataracts make things just a bit foggy. Great picture of a beautiful lady and a handsome young man.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 5, 2011
6:17 PM

Post #8674738

Jen, glad your surgery went well!! And glad someone took the bananas off your hand.

Great pic of your mom and your grandson too!!

Creme de Cassis hollyhock.

Thumbnail by pepper23

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 6, 2011
4:27 PM

Post #8676809

Pepper,

Was that a pun...taking bananas off her HAND????

Yuk, Yuk!!

Hap
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 6, 2011
5:26 PM

Post #8676908

LOL. Not intentional but now that you mention it...
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

July 8, 2011
8:29 AM

Post #8680132

My FIL passed gently away last night, in his sleep. He was found by his nurse when they did the 2 hourly check. We consider it a happy release as he was in the final stages of Alzheimer's, and not really unexpected as he was 95 years old. My brother in law is flying in from Florida on Sunday and we will make the final arrangements after he arrives. Very busy early this morning calling all the grandchildren and great grandchildren to let them know. It's always sad to loose a parent even if that parent was not the same person anymore.
Aloha,
Jenn
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

July 8, 2011
9:26 AM

Post #8680233

Sending prayers your way, Jenn. It's always a hard loss.

katie

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 8, 2011
10:02 AM

Post #8680314

Gail and I are so sorry for your loss.

May the souls of the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen.

Pu'ole, a.k.a. Sylvain.

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 8, 2011
2:32 PM

Post #8680714

Our prayers are with Frank and the entire family.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 8, 2011
5:13 PM

Post #8681019

Hugs to you and Frank!!
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

July 14, 2011
8:11 AM

Post #8691764

Aloha All,

We laid my FIL to rest yesterday in the Veterans Cemetery with full color guard to escort him. It was a beautiful, moving ceremony especially when they played Taps...we have most of the final "tidying up" things finished now, which is a big relief. Most of his clothes, furniture, walker and wheelchair found good homes among the other residents of the retirement home which he would have liked. Now back to business of getting on with life...

I hope everyone is having some relief from the awful heat on the mainland, I don't remember such high temps for so long a time before now. Are all your gardens holding up, any water restrictions?

We are still picking mangos, and the figs, starfruit, papaya and avocado trees are loaded - more than enough for both us and the birds and lots to share with friends.

I am having an outdoor shower made today - a very handy thing to have when you live close to the beach and want to keep the sand out of the house. We do have showers at some of the beaches, but not at the hidden ones we typically go to. Now to train Frank to use it!

Aloha to all.

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 14, 2011
8:49 AM

Post #8691833

My FIL is at the DFW National Cemetery and we have been to several ceremonies for others. It is indeed a beautiful and moving experience. No relief in sight for our high temperatures. Paper says it was the hottest June on record and July is moving right along for another record. We are averaging 103 everyday. Keeping our little pond and birdbath full of water for the wildlife. Birds have ceased to be territorial and are sharing with all. I think an outdoor shower would be great. Wouldn't work very well here though.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 14, 2011
9:22 AM

Post #8691893

Hello, all.

Jenny, thanks for keeping us up on the burial and all those wonderful fruit-bearing trees that are producing and producing. An outside shower, you say. I have that, if you're not too picky on the term shower. The neighbors have grown accustomed to seeing me garden in my knee-length boxer shorts. When the heat gets to me, I just set the nose's nozzle on shower and rinse right off on the spot, making sure the run-off water ends up in the beds. We have water restrictions here, but they don't apply to hand-held hoses and nozzles. Sprinklers are only authorized to water for 3 hours, 1 day/week. It's been raining almost every day lately, so the landscape is not as parched as it was. We're glad for that.

Take care, all.
Pu'ole, a.k.a. Sylvain.

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 14, 2011
7:38 PM

Post #8692986

No water restrictions here. We are still dealing with flooding on the Missouri River so we have no worries about that. It's still very hot here. Temps are usually in the high 90s, sometimes in the low 100s. Heat indexes are usually around 110-115. Very hot and very humid also.

Garden here appear to be holding up. I run the soaker hose every night for an hour or so unless it rains alot then I skip that day and the next. My maters are getting pretty big though they are still green. Picking cucumbers and yellow squash several times a week. Plants are holding up well. One of the plumies you sent me is starting to take off in this heat and looks like it will unfurl it's first set of leaves here pretty quick. The other one isn't so far along yet mainly due to some big plants shading it some. I need to get updated pics of them. Other plants are holding up well despite lack of watering. That speaks well for the plants!! lol

VooDoo Doll tropical hibicus getting ready to open.

Thumbnail by pepper23

Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 14, 2011
8:33 PM

Post #8693114

Sorry for your loss Jen. Our hugs and prayers are with you.

We had a military funeral for my Dad when he passed as well. It was beautiful. Very touching.

Jeanne
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 15, 2011
6:40 AM

Post #8693657

Oh my. Mike forgot to turn of the last station on the sprinkler system and it ran all night. My bill is going to be $800. We seldom use it on automatic, just the areas that need it most.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 16, 2011
7:37 AM

Post #8695555

Sorry for your loss Jenny, sounds like he was loved and surrounded by family.

Christi...I could use some automatic watering right now...but heck, I hope your bill isn't that high!

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 16, 2011
8:15 AM

Post #8695637

Well, got the water bill today. Only goes to July 5th. $366.88. All over our area the trees in the wild are dying. Can't afford to loose any more trees. Won't live long enough to replace them. RJ, we are not even sitting on our beautiful deck and using the Tiki Bar...waaay toooo hoooot.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 16, 2011
9:16 AM

Post #8695740

Hi, my beautiful friends.

Isn't this thread getting a bit long, at 216 posts (including this one)?

I would gladly start another thread: The Coconut Wireless - chat thread 2 if nobody objects.

Take care, everyone.
Pu'ole, a.k.a. Sylvain.
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

July 16, 2011
9:28 AM

Post #8695785

OK by me. kb
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 16, 2011
9:59 AM

Post #8695849

good idea
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 16, 2011
10:43 AM

Post #8695913

Sounds good Sylvain!!

My brother is getting married tonight so we are getting ready for that. We have to make tea and put out signs so are working on that. Last night we made fans for everybody but they don't know about it yet. It's a suprise for them. Good thing is we will be in shade!! lol
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 16, 2011
12:47 PM

Post #8696097

How fun! I know you will be the ideal hostess, pep.
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

July 17, 2011
9:12 AM

Post #8697537

In a rush - off to work this morning! Sounds good to me Pu'ole.
I bet it was a lovely wedding Amanda, what a fun idea to make fans for the guests for a summer time wedding.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 17, 2011
4:36 PM

Post #8698299

Those fans came in handy!! It was still hot despite the breeze. Wedding was great and everyone had fun. Same goes for the reception. It was a long night and we didn't get home til around 1am but it was worth it.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 18, 2011
5:03 AM

Post #8698969

Hi.

I have started a new thread: The coconut wireless - chat threat 2.

You'll find it at:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1197379/

See you all on the other side of the fence really soon.

Pu'ole, a.k.a. Sylvain.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Tropical Zone Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome! Terry 92 May 31, 2007 7:56 PM
Gardening In AUSTRALIA . Way Way South ! ginger749 170 Dec 6, 2012 8:33 PM
Fern erradication AlohaHoya 85 May 12, 2009 2:37 AM
plants - I promise! Islandshari 23 May 28, 2007 11:33 PM
dead bees on young crape myrtles tab2 5 Oct 31, 2009 3:58 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America