-
AuthorContent
imzadi
Jackson, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 4, 2011
2:51 PM

Post #8539823

a friend has some and they start for her but then they die. what is it she need to do after germination. they form their first leaves but that's it.

I have tried to advise her but I don't know why they would die after germination and forming their leaves. Told her to try shade at first then move to sun. She grows in 1 gallon pots no transplanting. She doesn't soak them just plants them. I looked at them and they look great when they come up but a few days later they die.

any advice???
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 4, 2011
8:19 PM

Post #8540510

Marie - I have no idea what is happening unless she has some soil borne pests that are eating them at the root level or the roots have developed some kind of disease.
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

May 4, 2011
8:23 PM

Post #8540517

Marie, maybe she is growing in the direct sun and it is killing them during the hottest part of the day, could be they need to be grown in dappled shade till they get strong enough to take the heat. I know that even the ones growing in the ground here are taking a beating with the heat and the wind here. You might want to ask her to give you step by step of what she is doing and how she is doing it to grow the seeds out.
imzadi
Jackson, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 5, 2011
6:25 AM

Post #8541062

What she does is

in a gallon pot plants 2 seeds doesn't soak or anything. puts in warm sunny location. the seedling show up open their leaves then die.

Makes me kinda leery to even start any of the jmgs I got also our weather has dropped back into the 60s again. cold for me and them. hehe
FLChilders
Clatskanie, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 6, 2011
11:31 AM

Post #8543998

My guess is that she is trying to start them outside at the wrong time of year or in used media..taboo. That is why we start them inside where it is too warm for the fungus spores to progress, at the plant's most vulnerable time. Clean, fresh potting mix only for seedlings.

You ought to tell your friend about DG, all the reading is free.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Morning Glories Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Wild Morning Glory. poppysue 12 Feb 9, 2012 10:32 PM
Help! Teens making MG tea. ? getting high! help mingsmimi 5 Jul 18, 2009 4:33 PM
Now ain't that purdy?! (Morning Glory pic) Seedsower 48 Mar 9, 2007 10:29 AM
Ipomoea Seeds 101 QueenB 27 Nov 19, 2008 1:03 PM
Wild Potato Vine - Need help with pollenation KevinTernes 22 Aug 22, 2007 10:39 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America