Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Hibiscus: My first hibiscus

Communities > Forums > Hibiscus
bookmark
Forum: HibiscusReplies: 23, Views: 207
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

May 5, 2011
12:47 PM

Post #8541799

I just got my first hibiscus. No idea the name of it, but it was growing in the yard across the street. The jerk that used to own the property had cut the bush down and than kept it mowed over. I was wondering if it would grow back. Well, it is growing back and there were 4 babies to one side of it, so the current own said I could have them. So I dug them up and now have them potted. He also let me dig up some baby snowball bushes that were growing around the adult plant in his back yard.
blupit007
Clinton, CT
(Zone 6b)

May 6, 2011
4:59 AM

Post #8543304

Thats awesome you rescued it! Cant wait for photos!!
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

May 6, 2011
7:12 AM

Post #8543514

I just hope my baby blooms this year. If not than I'll get picture of momma when she blooms.
Kevin came over to visit with sissy now that she is home from the hospital and I shared 1 of the baby hibiscus with him. Also gave him a Black Walnut seedling and a couple of the cuttings of curly willow that I received.
I had collect black walnuts at a friends house and laid them out in the yard to dry. Only problem was suddenly I had squirrels helping themselves, now I have black walnut seedlings popping up all over the yard from the squirrels burying the nuts. I thought they where taking them home. No such luck. Goofy darn things!!
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 22, 2011
5:47 AM

Post #8579033

How long does it take for Hadry Hibiscus to emerge in the spring? I see no sign of life yet.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 22, 2011
5:56 AM

Post #8579044

Be patient--they're very slow to come back. I've seen other people in similar climates to yours say they don't usually show up until June.
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

May 22, 2011
7:33 AM

Post #8579247

My new babies are growing well. The biggest one is over 18 inches tall. The other 3 were just 6- 8 inches tall. I gave one to a new DG'er that also lives in Somerset and he and his wife came over to visit. Also the baby snowball bushes are growing nicely.
Dirt_Lover
Gainesville, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 27, 2011
11:59 AM

Post #8590936

Are you going to pinch yours back Marti? Mine are too small yet but I will probably try to do it to make them bushier.
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

May 27, 2011
12:19 PM

Post #8590971

I don't know if I should! Anybody got any suggestions?
Dirt_Lover
Gainesville, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 27, 2011
12:51 PM

Post #8591011

The reason I asked is because I had just read this link http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/977903/ on the "helpful hibiscus links". Read it and see what you think.
Michael_Ronayne
Nutley, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 28, 2011
5:19 AM

Post #8592301

I read Hibiscus patents and have noticed that it is quite common to clam, as one of features for a new Hibiscus cultivar, that the plant self branches. I know that in many Hibiscus species branching is not that common and you do have to pinch. In the case of the Texas Start (Hibiscus coccineus), which is a species, there is almost no branching unless you pinch. Before you start pinching, observe the Hibiscus plant to determine how much branching occurs naturally.

In addition to increasing flower production, pinching keeps the Hibiscus from growing too tall, which reduces the potential for wind damage. I clone stem cuttings and pinching greatly increases the opportunity to select useful cuttings.

Mike
philljm
Hustisford, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 28, 2011
5:36 AM

Post #8592318

I never had a clue about pinching, glad I found this thread. I have two hardy hibiscus, that generally begin to show signs of life this weekend, then bloom for most of the month of August. They only get about 3-4' tall and are somewhat protected from wind by my arborvitaes that are behind them, so height is not an issue. I may pinch one this year, and not the other, and see what happens.~j
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

May 28, 2011
8:51 AM

Post #8592643

The one that I got will die back to the ground every fall, so Idon't think pinching it is a good idea.
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 28, 2011
9:24 AM

Post #8592696

I've heard if you pinch back a hardy once it starts for the season you will get it to branch and in the end get more flowers. However having said that if you do it to late you maynot get flowers. Just depends on the season length you have. I for one never pinch my hardies, and get a ton of flowers. Even when started from seed the end of may I will see a flower or twoby seasons end. Of course the ones from seed are just one stem that season, but they sure come up the next year with many many more stems.
Dirt_Lover
Gainesville, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 30, 2011
6:53 AM

Post #8596394

My problem is that I was given the seeds off of a plant I've never seen and the woman who gave them to me has never seen the plant in bloom...so...I have mystery plants. The plant they came from was in her friend's yard and she just gave me the seeds and said "see if you can germinate them and if you do just give me a couple plants." They all germinated and all are about 6" tall now. I'm assuming I'll have to wait until they bloom to know exactly what I have, right? And the reason I assumed they're hardy is because of what the seeds looked like which was a little black ball and after I googled that's what they resembled. I soaked them overnight in water and planted them and they came up great. I have some in the yard in various places, some still in pots and some gave to friends so the experiment continues...
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 30, 2011
7:33 AM

Post #8596488

Seeds that are little black balls could be a lot of things...first thing that comes to mind for me is 4 o'clocks (Mirabilis jalapa) http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/1426/ If you post some pictures either now or as the seedlings get a little older someone can probably tell you whether they're hibiscus or not.
Dirt_Lover
Gainesville, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 30, 2011
7:49 AM

Post #8596547

As usual I wasn't clear, sorry about that ecrane. I was told they were hibiscus, just didn't know if they were tropical or hardy. Here are a couple of pics. They look like hibiscus, right?

Thumbnail by Dirt_Lover
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Dirt_Lover
Gainesville, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 30, 2011
7:50 AM

Post #8596557

Another one, top view.

Thumbnail by Dirt_Lover

Dirt_Lover
Gainesville, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 30, 2011
7:54 AM

Post #8596564

So if these are hibiscus and they are hardy, with the branching that they're showing, should I pinch or wait until next year? Wait until I see if they die back to the ground? I love this, learning is so fun! Thank you for helping us!
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 30, 2011
7:55 AM

Post #8596566

ya there hardy hibiscus, you will see what you have in no time. They will flower first year.
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 30, 2011
7:57 AM

Post #8596579

I would just let them grow, they wont be much of a plant this year, just that one stick, but next year there will be 5 or more coming up and it will just get bigger and bigger every year..
Dirt_Lover
Gainesville, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 31, 2011
11:40 AM

Post #8599465

Thanks Smurf!! And now everybody, now that I know it's a hardy hibiscus, do I fertilize every 7 to 10 days too? And can I use Fish Emulsion for the fertilizer? When do I start fertilizing? Oh so many questions!!!
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 31, 2011
12:28 PM

Post #8599549

The only thing I ever do is give them miracle grow once a week and lots of water, mine seem to do quite well like that. These hardy hibicus' grow like a weed, it's pretty much happy in any garden
blupit007
Clinton, CT
(Zone 6b)

June 1, 2011
7:32 AM

Post #8601175

I agree, I never fertilize them. The one thing I do have a problem is with sawflies. They start out like a little green inch worm, then turn into a bug that has a black body and a orange reddish head. O, actually its the other way around, fly first, then worm. They will eat every leaf into swiss cheese. I spray Bayer, Rose and flower insect killer on it. Works like a charm for a month.
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

June 15, 2011
11:15 AM

Post #8632172

I just added my second Hibiscus to my yard.
It is called "Summer Storm" It has black to purple maple like foliage, blooms are deep pink to rose colored with a dark red center. Blooms from mid July thru fall. I can hardly wait for my hibiscuses to bloom. But I did find a picture of Summer Storm. What do you think?

Thumbnail by marti001

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hibiscus Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
variegated rose of sharon roose 11 Feb 14, 2008 8:39 PM
Ok, I'm confused on these two roselle hibisucus kathy_ann 99 Dec 9, 2007 3:03 PM
Jamaica Servants_heart 3 Jul 30, 2007 4:39 PM
This was too die for, a must must must have. Kell 84 Jul 10, 2012 3:41 PM
New Hardy Hibiscus NCplantsman 12 Aug 7, 2007 8:58 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America