Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Vegetables: how many peas should i plant?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 9, Views: 82
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
6aseeder
Arlington, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 6, 2011
8:23 AM

Post #8543663

for 2-3 adults to eat fresh, all types of peas: sugar snaps, shelling, and snow peas.

i have no idea how much pea plants can produce, given good conditions.

thanks,
donna
yehudith
silver spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 6, 2011
9:29 AM

Post #8543781

to my mind you can't plant too many. We eat them in salads in the pod, in samosas out of the pod and any other way I can get to them. I plant them until it just gets too hot for them to grow well. We're 2 adults and 1 10 yo child until June when my 16 yo comes home from school. 16! Good L-rd! 16! And we thought he wouldn't make it past 11 mos! Sorry, mother just in awe of G-d's plans versus what man thinks.
lorvan
Hamilton, ON
(Zone 5b)

May 6, 2011
9:38 AM

Post #8543799

I would like to know the same thing! It's just me and my husband, but I'd love to be able to give away some to family/friends too. I was thinking of growing about 10 shelling pea plants. Am I asking for a classic case of glut?
Cris316
Port Norris, NJ
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2011
3:47 AM

Post #8545147

I set out (2) 4" plants (of each type) initially and then start from
seed again for successive plants. Once the plants reach about
4" high I start the next seed. I usually get in 3 plantings before
it gets too hot here.

What you can't use you can always freeze. I have 2 refrigerators
and a freezer so lots of room for veggie bags. De-pod and set
spaced on trays, then pop trays in for 30 min for a quick freeze.
Remove & peas, beans, etc go into a baggie & laid flat in freezer.

Hope this helps.
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2011
4:39 AM

Post #8545193

I've got two sides of a 20' fence planted, about 3" apart. I'm getting enough for a family of four every three days or so. Each plant ( I have mostly snow, my sugar snaps seem to have gotten lost) produces 3-5 (edible size) at a time, right now. Can't remember if they were more productive later on, I think it got too hot by June.
Cris316
Port Norris, NJ
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2011
3:38 PM

Post #8546284

Cat, how many varieties you got growing?
20' both sides of just peas!
I've got about 8 varieties of peas and the
same of green beans in about the same space.
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2011
4:41 AM

Post #8547218

I'll have to go look it up. I know I've got Golden Sweet Snow peas, and Mammoth Melting whatever-it-is and two other snow/sugar snap varieties. I may not even have those names right. It's mostly the Golden Sweet now. I had one kind not germinate well, and I replanted with the goldens, because they'd never done well for me. I really wanted the sugar snaps, but seem to have none. maybe I forgot to plant them?
I'll try again in the fall.
Oh, and it's more like 16', I think.
6aseeder
Arlington, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 8, 2011
7:16 AM

Post #8547436

thanks everyone. i think i will start progressive crops, too.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2011
7:36 AM

Post #8547472

I have four 24' rows of English peas. Hubby and I are both British, so we grew up eating lots of peas! I picked the first pod this morning. Of course, the peas didn't make it in to the house - the peas went into the tummy, the shell into the compost.
lorvan
Hamilton, ON
(Zone 5b)

May 9, 2011
7:07 AM

Post #8549415

Thanks for the info! I will plant probably 5-10 feet of peas... that sounds like I'll have more than enough for the summer, and freeze all the extra. Good thing I have an extra freezer...

Honeybee - that's a LOT of peas! I haven't grown them before so I've never tasted them fresh off the vine. Can't wait :)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America