Photo by Melody
We rolled out several small fixes on January 29. If you encounter any problems, please report them in the designated thread in the DG Site Updates forum.

Beginner Vegetables: how many peas should i plant?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 9, Views: 82
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
6aseeder
Arlington, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 6, 2011
8:23 AM

Post #8543663

for 2-3 adults to eat fresh, all types of peas: sugar snaps, shelling, and snow peas.

i have no idea how much pea plants can produce, given good conditions.

thanks,
donna
yehudith
silver spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 6, 2011
9:29 AM

Post #8543781

to my mind you can't plant too many. We eat them in salads in the pod, in samosas out of the pod and any other way I can get to them. I plant them until it just gets too hot for them to grow well. We're 2 adults and 1 10 yo child until June when my 16 yo comes home from school. 16! Good L-rd! 16! And we thought he wouldn't make it past 11 mos! Sorry, mother just in awe of G-d's plans versus what man thinks.
lorvan
Hamilton, ON
(Zone 5b)

May 6, 2011
9:38 AM

Post #8543799

I would like to know the same thing! It's just me and my husband, but I'd love to be able to give away some to family/friends too. I was thinking of growing about 10 shelling pea plants. Am I asking for a classic case of glut?
Cris316
Port Norris, NJ
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2011
3:47 AM

Post #8545147

I set out (2) 4" plants (of each type) initially and then start from
seed again for successive plants. Once the plants reach about
4" high I start the next seed. I usually get in 3 plantings before
it gets too hot here.

What you can't use you can always freeze. I have 2 refrigerators
and a freezer so lots of room for veggie bags. De-pod and set
spaced on trays, then pop trays in for 30 min for a quick freeze.
Remove & peas, beans, etc go into a baggie & laid flat in freezer.

Hope this helps.
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2011
4:39 AM

Post #8545193

I've got two sides of a 20' fence planted, about 3" apart. I'm getting enough for a family of four every three days or so. Each plant ( I have mostly snow, my sugar snaps seem to have gotten lost) produces 3-5 (edible size) at a time, right now. Can't remember if they were more productive later on, I think it got too hot by June.
Cris316
Port Norris, NJ
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2011
3:38 PM

Post #8546284

Cat, how many varieties you got growing?
20' both sides of just peas!
I've got about 8 varieties of peas and the
same of green beans in about the same space.
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2011
4:41 AM

Post #8547218

I'll have to go look it up. I know I've got Golden Sweet Snow peas, and Mammoth Melting whatever-it-is and two other snow/sugar snap varieties. I may not even have those names right. It's mostly the Golden Sweet now. I had one kind not germinate well, and I replanted with the goldens, because they'd never done well for me. I really wanted the sugar snaps, but seem to have none. maybe I forgot to plant them?
I'll try again in the fall.
Oh, and it's more like 16', I think.
6aseeder
Arlington, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 8, 2011
7:16 AM

Post #8547436

thanks everyone. i think i will start progressive crops, too.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2011
7:36 AM

Post #8547472

I have four 24' rows of English peas. Hubby and I are both British, so we grew up eating lots of peas! I picked the first pod this morning. Of course, the peas didn't make it in to the house - the peas went into the tummy, the shell into the compost.
lorvan
Hamilton, ON
(Zone 5b)

May 9, 2011
7:07 AM

Post #8549415

Thanks for the info! I will plant probably 5-10 feet of peas... that sounds like I'll have more than enough for the summer, and freeze all the extra. Good thing I have an extra freezer...

Honeybee - that's a LOT of peas! I haven't grown them before so I've never tasted them fresh off the vine. Can't wait :)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America