Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Garden Talk: DEAR DEER ...DID YOU KNOW?.......

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 4, Views: 52
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

May 6, 2011
3:36 PM

Post #8544358

Did you know?

That you don't like lupine?
That you don't eat lupine?
That lupine tastes bad?
That lupine needs its leaves to make its flowers?
wannadanc
Olympia, WA

May 7, 2011
4:53 PM

Post #8546405

Lupine is dangerous from the time it starts to grow in the spring until it dries up in the fall. Younger plants are more toxic than older plants; however, plants in the seed stage in late summer are especially dangerous because of the high toxin content of the seeds. Lupine is also more palatable than the dried pasture grasses in the late summer.

The amount of lupine that will kill an animal varies with the lupine species and the stage of plant growth. A sheep that is getting good forage may not be affected by occasionally eating a small amount of lupine ( about 1/8 to lb.), but a sheep is usually poisoned if it eats 1/8 to lb. of lupine daily for 3 to 4 days.

Cattle may be poisoned by eating 1 to 1 lbs. of lupine without other forage. Smaller amounts are poisonous if cattle eat the weed daily for 3 to 7 days. If cows consume the plant between days 40 and 70 of gestation, their calves will often suffer from crooked calf disease. These calves are born with cleft palates, crooked legs and distorted /malformed spines. Epidemic outbreaks of such birth defects can have high morbidity resulting in enormous animal and economic losses.

http://elpasocd.org/Common weeds and grasses.htm#Locoweed_
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

May 7, 2011
9:08 PM

Post #8546939

Lupine is frequently planted and an attractive plant in the garden. It has not been browse before- I've lived here 11 years. Recently, I planted three more and... One got eaten to the ground. It would be nice if our pesky resident vole was the culprit.
motts1
south central, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 9, 2011
10:44 PM

Post #8551441

Good lord, didn't know that it was that toxic. Will keep away from the dogs if I try it again (short time perennial here). May put up restaurant sign for the voles though,,going through my trillium patch today!!!!
wannadanc
Olympia, WA

May 10, 2011
5:59 AM

Post #8551757

The toxicity is a problem with grazing animals where the ingestion amounts could get high. I would not stop planting lupine, as a garden decoration; but when it grows rampant through fields intended to support those grazing animals, someone needs to be in charge.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America