Photo by Melody

Garden Talk: New Bees 05/06/11 friends - new and old...Come on in...

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 283, Views: 1,609
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 6, 2011
9:10 PM

Post #8544987

Well, for us in the south, I think summer is officially here, at least temperature-wise! It hit 100 in Phoenix today! Already? Tell us your plans for your garden, share some pictures, ask questions or just come and chat about what is going on in your life!

This is the place to chat and hang out and share with friends - new and old...

Any links you all want me to add to this let me know!

We came from here... http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1174152/

Come on in...

Direction for free seeds for newbies here...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1160896/

Newbies that get lost and found here...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1010521/

Lasagna Beds for newbies here...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1037637/

Thumbnail by locakelly
Click the image for an enlarged view.

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2011
9:56 PM

Post #8545025

Marking my spot!
Yippie, I am firstest!
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

May 6, 2011
10:22 PM

Post #8545048

just poped over to say goodnight love and hugs nettie thanks for the new thread kelly you are the best girl.
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

May 6, 2011
11:22 PM

Post #8545075

mekos i keep meaning to ask you about wess wife how is she doing. nettie
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 7, 2011
5:00 AM

Post #8545222

oh ya... thanks nettie. I forgot about having to be a dg member. Duh me! I'll tell her
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 7, 2011
6:13 AM

Post #8545323

Hi Gals - I found the new thread. Wifey and I are in Kingston on the Hudson River about halfway north from NYC to Albany. She is a judge in a piano competition there for 3 days, I'm just hanging around and sight seeing some of the old mansions and gardens in the area. It's part of the older historic NY along the Hudson River. The Roosevelt family lived here, both Teddy and FDR, along with several other wealthys including the Vanderbilts. Lots of history born here.

Going back home Sunday, about a 5 hour drive.

Al
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 7, 2011
6:40 AM

Post #8545381

WOW... would love to be with you. Love touring those old homes!

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 7, 2011
8:36 AM

Post #8545594

Morning everyone!

Mekos, why were you up so late girl? You and nettie are night owls I swear;o)

Al, that sounds like a nice way to spend the time - sightseeing! Pictures?

Hi Crit! Tell your friend to join so she can come hang with us!

Had a surprise in the garden this morning - this Daylily is Star Twister - I love the spiders and this is one of my favorites. I got it in a trade last fall and have been waiting for a bloom since...

Thumbnail by locakelly

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 7, 2011
10:05 AM

Post #8545732

Very pretty!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2011
10:38 AM

Post #8545788

Just going along with the crowd. Thanks! :)
enidcandles
Enid, OK

May 7, 2011
2:50 PM

Post #8546201

I think touring the old homes and gardens would be super cool! Our old in Oklahoma and the old up there are two different things. I have seen pictures of some of the historic sites and would love to see them up close and in person.

Pretty Spider! Can't wait til mine start blooming.

I have just about decided I hate irises - they seem to be multiplying right before my eyes and they are taking contol of my life!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 7, 2011
4:21 PM

Post #8546359

and I can't get my iris to do more than 4 or 5 blooms at a time...TOPS. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr I need to come to enid and divide your iris.
enidcandles
Enid, OK

May 7, 2011
6:45 PM

Post #8546634

Crit - you just lost me! Do you mean you only have 3 - 4 varieties blooming at once? Do you have several varieties in one bed? If you have early, mid and late season bloomers all in one spot chances are you won't get a full bed of blooms all at once.

Now, if your irises just suck and won't bloom, I can hook you up!
Oh, did you add bone meal when you planted them? This seems to be important in the wonderful soil here.
DeeS
Ladoga, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 7, 2011
7:08 PM

Post #8546671

Good evening everyone. I new to this forum, but I have been a member of DG, since 2001.
I love growing all kinds of plants from maters to brugs, and everything in between.And this seems to be the place to talk about them all.I have noticed that a couple of my buds are hanging here, so it has to be great!
Looking forward to gabbin' with y'all and sharing pics of plants.
Dee

Edited because I was off by 10 years on how long I have been a member of DG...lol Not fun, getting old. :o(

This message was edited May 8, 2011 8:52 AM
enidcandles
Enid, OK

May 7, 2011
7:16 PM

Post #8546689

Welcome! You are in the right place, we talk about everything here...kinda like sittin' on your porch and hanging with the neighborhood.
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

May 7, 2011
8:23 PM

Post #8546874

hi amanda what kind of flowers do you grow? i like them all love nettie
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

May 7, 2011
8:27 PM

Post #8546881

hi dees good to have you just jump in with both feet thats what we do i don,t do shoes unles im going to town. love nettie
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

May 7, 2011
9:07 PM

Post #8546938

enid my neiohbors are not all warm and cudly hope you arf not disapointed in me but i can,t stand to wake up to some nut out in the woods doing a tarzan yell the one on the other side has 3 children that fight all day i love them but not on my front porch sorry about that.i like to have my coffee in quite so i think it is going to be a good day nice.im never rude to my neighbors just a little stand offish my bad can,t help it one had a habit of barrowing bills tools the big pipe rinch bill would have to barrow it back home you did here that. some people if they barrow it its theirs. you don,t won,t my neighbors if you do ill see what i can do.

This message was edited May 7, 2011 10:10 PM

This message was edited May 7, 2011 10:12 PM

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 7, 2011
9:58 PM

Post #8546985

Hi Dee - I've seen you on the Brug forum and the trading Forums. Not sure if you remember but you sent me some Caladiums for postage back when I joined DG;o)

Got most of the "chores" done then we decided to take the boys to the movies. We saw Thor - God of Thunder. Now you have to understand I live in a house of 3 boys and 1 man-boy (DH), so when we all go to the movies I really don't get to choose what we see. The movie was actually pretty good for a "comic book" movie. I've sure seen some cheesy ones - Fantastic Four comes to mind, and X-Men... Thor was watchable and had some pretty funny parts as well. It was a good family outing!

Gonna check e-mails and check in on the eagles nests then hit the sack.
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

May 7, 2011
10:14 PM

Post #8547000

i goy the vinca cut bask today it was covering the hosta up looks nice on the tool shead but have to cut it back every year, that or use round up i gg heve sharp cutters and a sore back nettie
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 8, 2011
5:54 AM

Post #8547304

Enid. I mean I only have 4-5 'flowers' at any one time. I don't know what the are as 2 of the iris beds were here when I moved here. I thinned them last fall and actually are doing more than last spring. I had a total of 2 flowers last spring. The 3rd bed is iris I had bought and planted at our other house the year before we moved. So I dug up some starts and planted them here. I made the bed out of miracle grow potting mix and something else a little heavier. They just got planted last spring and the leaves look lovely this year, but no buds yet. I have some other places I want to make some iris beds. Would also like to plant some along our fenceline so it looks pretty going up to the house. I have asked on a couple different threads if there were a fertilizer I should use on the iris, and no one ever really said, except maybe to water with MG.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 8, 2011
6:09 AM

Post #8547336

WELCOME DeeS. You will love it here. I agree with enid, its like just setting around and visiting with friends.

lol@nettie and her bare feet. She's from Arkansas you know. ^_^ We love her. I don't wear shoes unless I just have to when I'm home. If I do, it is usually flip flops. I can just hear her neighbor with the Tarzan yell... LMBO

I saw a review on Thor and it said for a 96 minute movie there was 96 seconds that were worth the money to see it. LOL

Oh, meant to include this in the above post. This is mid day when they are not getting a lot of sun. They get morning and afternoon sun. Am going to have DH trim some of the branches I couldn't get with my loppers

Thumbnail by Crit

enidcandles
Enid, OK

May 8, 2011
6:14 AM

Post #8547345

No, don't water with Miracle Grow! Use bone meal or blood meal - hop on over to the iris forum and let the pros fill you in! Nice bunch over there. You have D-mail.

Happy Mother's Day all!

Nettie you can keep your neighbors - I will keep the mean ones I have, at least they don't bother me much!
enidcandles
Enid, OK

May 8, 2011
6:19 AM

Post #8547358

Beautify Crit!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 8, 2011
6:32 AM

Post #8547383

do you have a link to the iris forum? I'll look for it. That is just the ticket. I'd love to get on that one. Thanks!

I have good neighbors. None to close, but we are all like family. Get along well, but stay out of each others business. Always willing to lend a hand.
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 8, 2011
7:35 AM

Post #8547470

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY ALL!! HAVE A GREAT DAY!!

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 8, 2011
7:58 AM

Post #8547505

I found the iris forum and have been lurking around the threads there. ^_^

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 8, 2011
9:47 AM

Post #8547688

♥ Happy ♥ Mother's ♥ Day ♥ !!

Thumbnail by locakelly

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 8, 2011
11:32 AM

Post #8547817

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY TO EVERYONE! Even those who have 4 legged fur-babies
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

May 8, 2011
8:02 PM

Post #8548845

hi people another day another snake cotton mouth water mocion spelled thay wrong my bad. about 3ft long and very fat dh shot it 5 times he said it just wouldn,t go away it was in my flower bed that i cleaned out lasy night. im starting yo like weeds better all the time nettie
enidcandles
Enid, OK

May 8, 2011
8:31 PM

Post #8548903

I am not going to deal with snakes! Cotton mouths and copper heads scare me to death..the others just scare me to near death!
Have you tried moth balls in your flower beds? That is supposed to keep them away - I know people that swear by it!

Don't get too close to those snakes Nettie - I would hate to see the headlines in the paper "Little Nettie Bites Copper Head - Snake not expected to survive" LOL Poor Nettie - at least you know when I am picking on you, I am giving someone else a break.

Good night all, I have to pack it in now, been a long, long day!!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 9, 2011
4:43 AM

Post #8549153

I use moth balls and so far so good. I especially put them arund doorways in the fall so nothing decides it wants to live in the house or garage with us through the winter.
DeeS
Ladoga, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 9, 2011
5:23 AM

Post #8549203

Thanks, for the warm welcome everyone.Now, that little nettie must be a character...for some reason, I'm getting this vision of a barefooted woman, standing in the garden with a wild look on her face, hair flying in the breeze, while holding the body of the snake in one hand, and a evil grin on her face as she smiles with the snake head clenched between her teeth...lol...
locakelly, I sure do remember sending ya those caladiums.Crit you have a beautiful yard.looks like a park!
Thanks, for the mother's day flowers, locakelly, and lycodad, they are beautiful! Kelly that is an ostespermum, isn't it. I am getting ready to plant some today. It is the first time that I have grown them. I started these from seeds under the lights.
Dee

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 9, 2011
7:07 AM

Post #8549416

Dee, I think your mental picture of nettie is right on - lol! Yep, that is an Ostespermum - my favorite color - purple;o) They are pretty in the garden. This one is in a container I did a while back...
enidcandles
Enid, OK

May 9, 2011
7:25 AM

Post #8549444

Nettie - where are you?? You aren't here defending yourself, that dang snake didn't get you did it?

Poor Nettie - I pick on her a lot, probably because we are so much alike!

Everyone have a great day, wind blowing and 100 here today - think I may stay inside and vacuum or something.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 9, 2011
9:53 AM

Post #8549800

Anyone know what kind my babies here are? They built in my bluebird house, but I really don't think they are blue birds at all.
Beautiful here today. Light breeze blowing and sunny.
Welcome to all the newbee arrivals! Hugs and welcome. Pull up a chair and jump in when you feel froggy.

Thumbnail by mekos

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 9, 2011
10:08 AM

Post #8549848

Mekos - my first guess is catbird. My mother raised one from a fledgeling. Second guess is titmouse. Coloring and markings come in later. Depends on size.
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

May 9, 2011
11:33 AM

Post #8550054

enid i thought we were gona grow flower seed in that carpet, you must have gone off the deep end get a grip girl you are setting a bad example for me love and hugs nettie.
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

May 9, 2011
11:50 AM

Post #8550100

kelly i have some of those blue flowers had to put them in a cage to keep them from flopping they are such a pretty color. love nettie. they are all over the roads here.nice when they are all bloming.
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

May 9, 2011
11:56 AM

Post #8550124

mekos love your little ones i get house rens they are so sweat love them. one makes her nest in one of the hanging baskets i don,t water that plant much don,t wont to wet the little ones down. plant gets kinda dry but i do,t mind just let them build where they build. nettie.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 9, 2011
1:24 PM

Post #8550279

They are pretty nettie - I ♥ them!

Mekos, I ♥ your babies!! You get to watch them grow up - they seem a little cramped in there - lol.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 9, 2011
3:47 PM

Post #8550584

I have a little wren that has made a nest in my upside down tomato planter. It has gotten small holes in it so wasn't going to use it anymore. Last year she built one in my window flower box. No eggs there yet, or I didn't notice and they are already gone. I saw 2 different birds taking stuff down into it, so don't know if they were building or feeding.

I liked Debra's suggestion one time of vacuuming the carpet after doing a round robin or cleaning seed, then dumping it out in the corner of a bed and seeing what comes up. lol
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 9, 2011
4:48 PM

Post #8550711

Cat bird, I could not remember the name. I think they are Cat birds. They sit on the electric lines grabbing bugs in the air, and they do sing but not like the mocking birds. The Mocking birds go to the tallest place around to perch and sing. Yes, I do believe that is it. Yes I had the house built with hinges on the roof so I can open and clean it out and also I can raise it and look inside too. I was surprised at 6 babies. I love to hand feed babies and turn them loose so they are tame and hang around here. But never saw anything build inside except the bluebirds and flying squirrells. These are cute and they are about to fly off any day now.
OK Enid, you quit embarrassing Nettie. LOL You set a better example around here now. Got new people watching you.(Shaking my crippled arthritic finger at you).
See my little Mother's day angel.

Thumbnail by mekos

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 9, 2011
4:49 PM

Post #8550713

I can't believe how big she is getting.

Thumbnail by mekos

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 9, 2011
4:52 PM

Post #8550720

I was planning to take her for pictures for weeks and every time I suggested it, they always made excuses for not doing it, so now I know why. They wanted to surprise me with pictures for Mothers day!

Thumbnail by mekos

skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

May 9, 2011
5:10 PM

Post #8550747

She is just so adorable Jan! And she is getting so big! What a great Mother's Day present!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 9, 2011
5:56 PM

Post #8550889

Sweet face! :)

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 9, 2011
6:06 PM

Post #8550919

Oh Jan she is the cutest little thing! Great present;o)
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 9, 2011
9:19 PM

Post #8551370

Thanks everyone, I am very proud of her. These were actually made for her first birthday at a little park close to where we live. The water fall is beautiful and the huge boulder is there right in front of it. The photographer came to the park and took the pictures with her props.

Thumbnail by mekos

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 9, 2011
9:21 PM

Post #8551371

She did such a good job but I won't bore you with any more. Wish we could post several pictures on the same post. Oh well, good night.

Thumbnail by mekos

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 9, 2011
9:55 PM

Post #8551392

Oh I love that last one with the mirror - what a doll!!
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

May 9, 2011
10:11 PM

Post #8551409

enid i can still run and yell bill he says he knows my snake yell now aine that sweet of him. was the carpet good to go for seed we could use a mister bottle to spray it bown and close the air vents so the heat would come up that would get them growing real fast. love and hugs nettie
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

May 9, 2011
10:15 PM

Post #8551413

mekos i love them both she has go the pictuer thing down and so pretty nettie
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

May 9, 2011
11:38 PM

Post #8551479

no snakes today got the peas planted glad that is done. im going to bed soon im beat. love and hugs nettie
enidcandles
Enid, OK

May 10, 2011
5:20 AM

Post #8551687

My snake yell is not fit for the public! Hope I don't see any this year, I managed to go the whole year last year with none in my yard.

Off to dig irises as soon as the baby gets up so gonna be a busy day today.

Here he is in his Easter picture. I chose the studio because they do pics with live bunnies but he screamed and acted like the poor little thing was going to eat him so we got no bunny pics!

Thumbnail by enidcandles

littlenettie
Booneville, AR

May 10, 2011
12:53 PM

Post #8552609

enid that is one good looking young man. bet he is a mess. love nettie
enidcandles
Enid, OK

May 10, 2011
4:07 PM

Post #8553074

A mess Nettie? Can't you see those horns - the child is horrible. Between me and his babysitter you just about can't live with the little guy - we have spoiled him just a little.

That's not all exactly true, he is a pretty good baby but two year olds are terrible - guess that's why they are called the terrible twos!
Mitt
Philadelphia, PA

May 10, 2011
6:01 PM

Post #8553391

Happy Birthday Crit

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 10, 2011
9:22 PM

Post #8553831

Almost missed it;o)

♪ ♥ ♫ Happy ♥ Happy ♥ Birthday ♥ to ♥ you !! ♪ ♥ ♫

Thumbnail by locakelly

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 11, 2011
4:01 AM

Post #8554034

Happy Birthday Crit!!!! Wishing you a beautiful day today!
Good morning Mitt. Hope you are not getting bad storms your way. How are the Iris coming along?
Enid, he is so cute! Gonna hafta beat the girls off him a little while later.
Trish, how is Caleb doing?
Nettie you be careful with those snakes, when ya find one, there is sure to be more lurking around.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 11, 2011
4:06 AM

Post #8554046

Here is something sweet to start your day.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrYHcwcqiJw&feature=share

Thumbnail by mekos

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 11, 2011

Post #8554116

Thank you everyone for the birthday wishes ^_^
enidcandles
Enid, OK

May 11, 2011
7:47 AM

Post #8554441

Does anyone know what this is? I bought it last year and moved it a couple of times - it needs to be moved again but I don't remember what it is and don't know where to put it.

Thumbnail by enidcandles

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 11, 2011
8:07 AM

Post #8554489

Isn't it a blanket flower?

Birthday cake for Crit, forgot this morning! Sorry.

Thumbnail by mekos

enidcandles
Enid, OK

May 11, 2011
8:24 AM

Post #8554531

Are you asking or telling? I don't know!! You know I am a botanical idiot!!

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 11, 2011
9:04 AM

Post #8554608

I think it is a Blanket Flower (Gaillardia)... there are annual ones and perennial ones. They like full sun - they will grow in full Phoenix summer sun;o) Tough buggers. The annual ones will reseed pretty easily.
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

May 11, 2011
9:47 AM

Post #8554712

happy birthday crit i was up earley this morning by a lady who was looking for a bill smith who works for the magazine water dept. her water meter is leaking bad told her he is a william not bill.she said oh i know him and hung up no sorry for wakeing me up i just love it. nettie
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 11, 2011
10:41 AM

Post #8554793

Hey - I've got flowers, lots and lots of tulips. That's my new rainwater barrel in the back, not quite hooked up to the roof drain just yet but will be soon.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 11, 2011
10:46 AM

Post #8554799

More tulips on the front porch...

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 11, 2011
10:52 AM

Post #8554816

This is my flowering pear tree in front yard.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 11, 2011
10:58 AM

Post #8554842

A few pansies, too

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

enidcandles
Enid, OK

May 11, 2011
10:59 AM

Post #8554844

Ah, my tulips are done and dying back - those sure are pretty!

Gaillardia sounds right - thank you very much!

Gotta get off this computer, storms rolling in - we need the rain but not the tornadoes they are predicting!

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 11, 2011

Post #8554845

Very cheery Al! Is your pear an ornamental or do you get fruit? I love the blooms!
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 11, 2011
11:07 AM

Post #8554867

These are my new hens and chicks given by a friendly neighbor. They are absolutely rootbound and crammed in the pot so tight I'll have trouble getting them apart without breaking the ceramic pot. I'm going to try prying apart with a screwdriver and sharp putty knife.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 11, 2011
11:12 AM

Post #8554880

The flowering pear does produce a fruit but it is very small and not edible. Nice tree is about 12' tall and has very aromatic (some say stinky) flowers.

Al

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 11, 2011
11:14 AM

Post #8554886

Oh I love the smell - some friends here grow Bradford ornamental pears and they are so pretty in the spring.

LOL @ your hens and chicks... I had a Vitex tree from a swap in a pot and never got around to planting it until spring. That sucker threw roots out the bottom of the pot into the ground. I had to break the pot off with a hammer, then dig it all up and plant it in it's permanent spot. Didn't skip a beat and is about ready to flower;o)
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 11, 2011
11:19 AM

Post #8554904

Last picture for today,
I've got lots of these dandy little flowers, too.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

enidcandles
Enid, OK

May 11, 2011
11:38 AM

Post #8554949

Wow Al, I can grow those too!!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 11, 2011
3:20 PM

Post #8555407

Al those are all beautiful! I love my bradford pears and my real fruit pear trees. I have peaches, pears and a fruit coctail tree.
Nettie, people do me that way all the time. So unthoughtful! Forgive me but I just had to laugh a little up there! ;^}
Yep, Lori, it is. I can never remember real names just common names.(and sometimes mix those up)
Storms been sounding horrible for an hour here but so far NO RAIN! Just a big tease.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 11, 2011
4:53 PM

Post #8556337

Thanks for the birthday wishes mekos and nettie
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

May 11, 2011
5:28 PM

Post #8556410

got to shut puter off love and hugs nettie, talk later storm comming.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 11, 2011
6:12 PM

Post #8556491

We got about 1" of rain. Rained hard and went through quickly. Nothing bad
enidcandles
Enid, OK

May 11, 2011
7:10 PM

Post #8556589

We didn't even get an inch - a lot of hype for nothing! Better than being blown away but we really needed the rain.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 11, 2011
8:46 PM

Post #8556809

We got the hype but NO rain at all. Just teased us a little pretending to do something. Grrrr!
I ended dragging out the hose pipe and watering stuff myself. My maters were wilting.
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

May 11, 2011
9:25 PM

Post #8556871

mekos we got 3 drops of rain they said we could get an inch another fib. can,t trust the weather people. they do to much guessing. think they forgot what they went to school for.nettie
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 11, 2011
9:43 PM

Post #8556880

Hmmm, 3 drops more than we got. Suppose to get it everyday for a week too. Guess I'll be dragging the hose a lot .
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

May 11, 2011
11:18 PM

Post #8556956

must be my bed yimrcan,t see whats on tv just go to show i will watch anything.i was watching hall mark chanel. got into a wild movie need to turn tv off this thing is not worth watching.oh well i need to go to bed anyeay. love and hugs to all hope you have a good night.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 12, 2011
6:00 AM

Post #8557263

Do you all have anything to catch water from your downspout/roof? I started years ago at my old condo and with this house have much more water to catch.

I just started buying garbage cans - plastic - with wheels (or not - once they're full you can't move it). I have a 45, and (2) 55 gallon cans under a single spout. I detached the downspout within reach and put one of those plastic "extensions" on it so I can move it from can to can as one fills up. While the particular can is active, I have it covered with a square piece of mesh screen. I have a 2" x 4" across the edge on opposite sides and a heavy brick on each board to keep it in place.

The screen is to keep critters out, particularly birds as they like to sit on the screen and drink the water once the bucket fills up.

After it fills, though, put the lid back on. Mosquito larvae like to live in there, but they get poured out in my watering can(s).

I have another spout or two that I could gather more water from. Time and money prevent me from doing it right away.

On dry dry days, I have 100+ gallons of water at my disposal. It does help to save.

A.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 12, 2011
6:05 AM

Post #8557279

Good idea there Amanda

I have 2 or 3 volunteer Red Bud trees that are about 12" tall or so. If anyone wants them, let me know. Otherwise, I'm going to pull them up and toss them. Dmail me.
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

May 12, 2011
6:46 AM

Post #8557395

Crit, if no one else wants them, I would LOVE them! Can't find the darn things here anywhere! I'll dmail you!
enidcandles
Enid, OK

May 12, 2011
7:10 AM

Post #8557441

You can't find them and they grow wild here - how funny is that!

I have several little volunteer maple trees about a foot tall - I almost hate to pull them up but they can't stay where they are. Was thinking about starting my own tree nursery. I have plenty of pots and dirt, maple trees and chinaberry - bet by this time next year I would be rich if I saved them all! LOL Thats what I have been trying to tell DH, that I will get rich selling all my irises; it is my retirement plan LMAO
DeeS
Ladoga, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 12, 2011
6:06 PM

Post #8558921

Jan and Enid, those younguns are adorable!
I finally got my tomatoes planted today.They were getting so tall that they were top heavy and wanting to fall over in their 16 oz. cups.In the morning, I will put out a few peppers.That's the only veggies that I grow, cause it's only me and my DH and he isn't a veggie eater.
Al, that is a nice looking rain barrel.Love those tulips, too. I don't have any tulips, yet.We just moved here last spring, and I have been busy trying to bring back, what was once a beautiful yard.An elderly lady lived here for years,who was an avid gardener, but then some non gardeners lived here about 3 years.They cut down lots of trees and the flowers were getting choked out by weeds.Everytime I go on a weeding rampage, all kinds of new plants pop up.It's a fun adventure.
Here's a pic of one of the beds that had very few blooms last year. I have been clearing out and moving around and adding other things.I have taken lots of columbine out of this bed, and looks like I will be taking more out when they get done blooming...lol Only columbine and purple iris blooming right now, but lots more things coming on.

Thumbnail by DeeS

DeeS
Ladoga, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 12, 2011
6:20 PM

Post #8558952

This is a shade bed that I started last summer.

Thumbnail by DeeS

DeeS
Ladoga, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 12, 2011
6:26 PM

Post #8558965

And this is a tree peony. It is about past it's prime for this year, but it is beautiful!

Thumbnail by DeeS

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 12, 2011
7:29 PM

Post #8559111

Dee your plants are gorgeous! Nice to see you here. Thanks about my grandbaby. I bore people to death with pictures. She is my pride and joy! I babysit her a lot so lots of chances for pictures and the camera has turned me into a picture monster.
I love the idea for extra water barrells so how about a picture on how they connect? I'm thinking this might be for me. I have one but no top and skeeters are gonna be bad if I keep it this way so since my brain is dense, I need ya to splain one more time and show me a picture.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 12, 2011
8:02 PM

Post #8559206

Dee, ♥ your pictures. I can't grow Columbines or Peonys here - waaaaahhhhhhhhhh! LOL

Jan, we never tire of your cutie pie baby pictures;o)
DeeS
Ladoga, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 12, 2011
8:36 PM

Post #8559291

But, I bet you can grow lots of great tropical, there,Kelly.I love tropicals, too...Guess I just love about anything that grows...lol

Jan, I don't think any of us grandmas, get tired of seeing pics of other's grandbabies. We have a total of 11 grandkids, but only live very close to my youngest daughter's family. I watch them quite a bit also...the youngest is 7, and he is spoiled silly, but he is just so darn cute, the middle boy is 9, and the oldest girl, turned 13 today.Thanks, for the nice comments about the pics
Dee

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 12, 2011
8:43 PM

Post #8559310

Yeah Dee you're right - lol. I can grow stuff outside all year round that you eastern and northern folks can only dream about, or haul inside for the winter! I love to push zones though and see what I can make grow here. Like Delphiniums this year. Sowed the seeds a couple falls ago and I guess our colder than normal winter woke them up!

Thumbnail by locakelly

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 12, 2011
8:46 PM

Post #8559317

Oh Jan - remember the DL deal from your neighbor last year? First bloom on Mikado... and Ming Toy is full of scapes. These ones are in huge pots and seem too happy...

Thumbnail by locakelly

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 12, 2011
8:48 PM

Post #8559320

...and my first ever Passie bloom! The caterpillars are trying to take out the vine as usual but this year full of buds so hoping for a spectacular show. They smell sooooooooooo good!

OK - it's bedtime for me... 5 am comes early but at last it's Friday;o) Yay!

Thumbnail by locakelly

skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

May 12, 2011
9:31 PM

Post #8559371

Kelly, I love that first picture! Which one is that, if you know, cuz I can grow delphs here, lol! And Dee, I love your columbines! Do you have any idea which ones they are? Are they doubles? Awesome! Gonna have to get me some of them, as I only have yellow and yellow & white. The purple ones would look great with my yellows.
I love seeing everyone's flowers all in bloom, especially since most of mine aren't even up yet, or just barely! It's great seeing all the wonderful pictures! You all have such pretty beds and gardens!
And Jan, I'm with Dee on the grandbabies pictures! I love seeing all the cuties! Don't matter whose they are!
DeeS
Ladoga, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 13, 2011
6:36 AM

Post #8559843

Kelly, that's a beautiful delphenium, great color.I have never been able to grow them,so I grow larkspur. won't be long before they are blooming.
Love the daylily pics...some of my favorite flowers.There are a few here, but I think most are yellows.I have the old fashion lemon lily, the orange lilies that look like double ditch lilies...forget the name... and booocoo stellas.All very common, but beautiful in their own right. Would love to add some reds, and some ruffled ones with eyes..Oh, I forgot that I have some seedlings that a lady sent me a couple years ago.Hopefully, there will be a red or 2 in there.
I don't know the name of the columbine, but I know that it is a very old variety. I have had this variety before...tried and tried to re-seach and ID, but never was able to. It is very double, and dark purple.I'd be glad to save seeds for you, or even send some plants for postage, when they get done blooming.Here is a close up that I took last year, the day we closed on the house.You can see how overgrown with weeds the bed was.

Thumbnail by DeeS

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 13, 2011
6:44 AM

Post #8559858

Oh I didn't notice they were doubles in the other pic - lovely! Sandi, I have no idea what kind the Delphs are. Got the seeds from a swap couple years ago from a DGer in southern AZ. I'll see if she might know. I'm trying to save the seeds - it's tricky to get them before the pods pop - lol. I'll send you some if I can collect them!

Off to work - TGIF!!
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

May 13, 2011
4:19 PM

Post #8561084

kelly id love some of those purple seed or plant i don,t care love nettie. what ever is easy for you.nettie

This message was edited May 13, 2011 5:30 PM
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

May 13, 2011
4:27 PM

Post #8561119

kelly would you save me some seed from the tree peony i have a book with inst. on how to start them i have a large purple tree peony im gona try some of them this fall. would love to try pink also. i will pay postage what ever just let me know.love nettie.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 13, 2011
4:30 PM

Post #8561132

Miss Nettie - are you wanting my pink Delphinium seeds or Dee's Columbines and Tree Peony?
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

May 13, 2011
4:38 PM

Post #8561156

dees peony and columbine ill get it wright sooner or later. sorry nettie, ive been crawling around on my hands and knees all morning just had to plant a flat of perrywinkle. it blooms from spring until fall drops seed i like them. nettie ill pay for the crawling in the morning al i also potted up my log it has two green arms and plenty of roots. hope i did it wright. still going to keep the bottom warm.

This message was edited May 13, 2011 5:43 PM
DeeS
Ladoga, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 13, 2011
5:00 PM

Post #8561205

Nettie,I was wondering the same thing as Kelly. If your talking to me, I'd be glad to share with you.I know that I will have enough Columbine seeds for anyone that wants some.lol The peony makes seeds, but I don't know how many. So, nettie, the first tree peony seeds go to you! If you would rather have a clump of the columbine(instead of seeds), and want to pay the postage, that's fine too. I will be digging some out anyway. It doesn't matter to me at all.
Got mulch put down on the front bed today.This evening I went out to admire it, when what did I see, but grass thrown all over it from DH mowing.Nope, I didn't complain a bit, cause I know it will dry up and turn brown...besides, I was afraid that he might suggest that I do the mowing. When we had a small yard, I did all the mowing with the push mower, but now that we have an acre, he uses a rider and I use the pushmower around most of the beds and in the tight spots.
DeeS
Ladoga, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 13, 2011
5:03 PM

Post #8561213

Oops took me too long to post. I started the post then got side tracked.So, I didn't see your post, til after I posted nettie.Like I said, I'll be glad to share.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 13, 2011
6:31 PM

Post #8561407

Mekos: I will post a picture tomorrow for your viewing pleasure.

Here's another time saving trick I learned while I was working at a native plant nursery on the Chesapeake Bay:

At set intervals the nursery tests their stored seed for germination rates and to determine how long the seed in storage remains viable.

A girl would put a number of seeds on what appeared to be a paper towel, slide it into a ziplock baggie and put water in to moisten the paper towel and seeds. She wrote on the baggie important stuff.

The seeds germinate pretty quickly this way, and there's some high math involved in figuring out the germination rate, but I have used it for 2 varieties of Asclepias this spring, and some tomatoes and large cherry peppers this past week.

The trick is to get the sprouts into soil quickly so you don't miss your window of opportunity. At least, that's my opinion, for what it's worth.

Of course, the sprouted seeds at the nursery were tossed. But this is my new secret weapon since I haven't had enough time in the garden lately. I haven't got gobs of potting soil either right now, so it saves that plant and wait and see step.

There's so much chatter about propagation on DG, I thought you might find this interesting.

A.
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

May 13, 2011
8:52 PM

Post #8561689

Dee, I'd love some seeds or babies or whatever of your columbine! I've never seen any like that anywhere here! Thanks!
Kelly, when you get some seeds from the delph, let me know! I'd love to plant some of those with my blue one. (Yep, 1, lol!) I just keep hoping that it will reseed, and I'll have a bunch, lol!
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

May 13, 2011
9:18 PM

Post #8561718

dees how much would the postage be and do i need to pay in advance. im excited about the tree peony as i said i have a big purple tree peony just let me know. nettie.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 13, 2011
9:24 PM

Post #8561724

I'll let you know Sandi;o)
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

May 14, 2011
7:48 PM

Post #8563287

kelly we need another thread this one is getting long please thank tou nettie and thank you dees

This message was edited May 14, 2011 10:54 PM
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 15, 2011
10:11 AM

Post #8564298

Kelly I love the blooms. My Daylilies have skapes too and I can hardly wait for blooms to open so I can see my beauties in color! I have 1 delphinium in bloom though and will see about a picture shortly. My Jacobs ladder is trying to make seeds already and I missed the flowers! I have Kaylee quite a bit during the week now and don't have much time OR energy to go out much and it must have bloomed during the week days when I was inside. I cannot believe I waited all year to see it bloom and MISSED it! Does anyone know if it will bloom again or is that it for the whole year? This is my first one and I know nothing about it.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 15, 2011
10:52 AM

Post #8564358

My delphinium

Thumbnail by mekos

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 15, 2011
10:53 AM

Post #8564360

Black Calla lilies

Thumbnail by mekos

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 15, 2011
10:53 AM

Post #8564362

Red hot pokers

Thumbnail by mekos

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 15, 2011
10:55 AM

Post #8564365

My red yucca

Thumbnail by mekos

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 15, 2011
10:57 AM

Post #8564368

Cat mint

Thumbnail by mekos

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 15, 2011

Post #8564369

Butterfly Iris

Thumbnail by mekos

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 15, 2011

Post #8564370

And last but not , well maybe, yes Least, MiloBuddy

Thumbnail by mekos

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 15, 2011
11:04 AM

Post #8564378

Dee I think your columbine is called Black Barlow, I have that as well and I love it. I have red barlow, and white barlow also, in that same thing, alomg with the other hybrids and mixes. They sure are pretty.
Here is a tiny gardenia I rooted last year and it may be 4-5 inches tall with a bloom almost as big as the whole plant. LOL

Thumbnail by mekos

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 15, 2011
1:15 PM

Post #8564615

And I love the butterfly iris! I have never seen anything like it. :)
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 15, 2011
1:43 PM

Post #8564653

Blue/ white walking iris.

Thumbnail by mekos

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 15, 2011
1:44 PM

Post #8564663

Siberian iris

Thumbnail by mekos

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 15, 2011
1:45 PM

Post #8564665

Another one.

Thumbnail by mekos

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 15, 2011
1:47 PM

Post #8564670

Love in a mist. I have sprouts now of love in a puff. My first year with those (love in a puff)so I am anxiously waiting for blooms on them.

Thumbnail by mekos

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 15, 2011
1:48 PM

Post #8564672

Foxglove

Thumbnail by mekos

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 15, 2011
7:04 PM

Post #8565608

What is a walking iris? That is a new one on me.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 15, 2011
9:06 PM

Post #8565851

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr=mcafee&va=walking+iris+flower

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2108/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neomarica ( This is mine )

And my butterfly iris is this one...

http://www.magnoliagardensnursery.com/productdescrip/Dietes_Butter.html

I also have this one.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/114022/

This message was edited May 15, 2011 11:09 PM
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

May 15, 2011
10:32 PM

Post #8565900

Love your foxglove Jan! I have a Jacob's Ladder, but mine is just now starting to come back after winter, and it never blooms this early, so afraid I'm not much help for you.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 16, 2011
3:34 AM

Post #8566047

I think Mine was early because it was in the greenhouse and set buds early. Then when I planted it out , I forgot about it till it was finished. Since I never had one before, I didn't know how much they bloom, just once or maybe another round later? Sure hope it will make an effort to show me color again. I thought it would bloom later too. This weather has messed up a lot of stuff. Poor plants don't know if it's spring or winter at times. It has been in the upper 80's here and yesterday barely 70's and again today, more of the same. Course, I love this cool weather. Brrrrrrrr. ;>D
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 16, 2011
7:14 AM

Post #8566425

I've finally got a few flowers out, yours look just beautiful Jan!

Is that your newest pup? Looks like a real cutie, maybe the world's smallest guard dog! Gotta love them though.

We're off to another music conference in Montrose near the West Point Military Academy on the Hudson River. I'm in the driver's seat since it's about 6 hours from here. Ellen has work to do, but I'll be visiting the Rhinebeck Historical Aeroport featuring several WWI replica planes. This is a one of a kind place, they actually have flying planes used in movies, not to mention their own weekend barnstorming shows. I'm hoping the weather holds out for a couple of flying lessons.

We'll be gone most of the week, back again next Tuesday or so. Will keep in touch if I can find a hotel computer, I'm looking for a new netbook or laptop just to carry on trips.

Al
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 16, 2011
8:59 AM

Post #8566808

Have fun Al and be safe. Lots of storms popping up all around. You take lots of pictures and show when you can.
Yes, that is MiloBuddy and he thinks he rules. But he scared to death of the two girls.They are a little too hyper for him being he is so much smaller than they are. He is only a week younger but half the size. LOL
He helps me garden by picking up the mulch and running off with it.

Thumbnail by mekos

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 16, 2011
9:32 AM

Post #8566859

We're back into the low 80s and then 70s by Wednesday - wow. We've normally had several days over 100 by now, not just two... Al, my Tom has baby 'maters - yay!! And I still have Glads trying to bloom so you know it's cool here.

My oldest son graduates from high school Thursday - this has been a long hard road with this one and we never thought we'd see this day! So, I'll be on and off sporadically until all the hoopla is over. We are having a party for him at our house Saturday.

Have fun travelin' man!
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 16, 2011
9:46 AM

Post #8566878

My "Tumbling Toms" actually survived the winter. I've been moving them inside and outside for the past three months. Mine have grown about a foot high with a few blossom clusters, but no tomatoes just yet. I think they will soon enough.

Al
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 16, 2011
9:52 AM

Post #8566895

Congrats on the son graduating, Kelly. I thought ours were safe enough getting through high school...then they went on to college, Dear Lord. Thankfully they all turned out good and we're happy with all of them, two sons and one daughter.

Al
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

May 16, 2011
12:44 PM

Post #8567299

crit walkin iris a old house plant not hardie in this zone i have a big pot of them don,t know why i keep them alot of trouble to drag them in and out of the greenhouse i could share if you like. nettie
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 16, 2011
3:52 PM

Post #8567695

I got maters too. :^)

Thumbnail by mekos

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 16, 2011
5:33 PM

Post #8567872

thanks nettie. I would like to try it. I like trying new plants. Can always get rid of them if I don't like them
Mitt
Philadelphia, PA

May 16, 2011
6:07 PM

Post #8567942

You have maters ...but I have irises. Can you see all the buds Jan

Thumbnail by Mitt

littlenettie
Booneville, AR

May 16, 2011
10:03 PM

Post #8568462

makos have you talked to charlrne ive noticed she has not been around for a few days hope she is not sick. i love all the pretty flower pictures. my house socks have round things on the bottom of them to keep you from slipping down the things hurt my feet if i walk to much wish i could get those little nubs off.ill not get anymore of these. wonder if al got his flying lesson today. sure hope he did. bill came home with more okra seed. i don.t care he is the one who cuts it not me it eats me up alive. it burns me no mater what i do kinda like poison ivy i don,t even have to touch the mess. bill always has me go inside if he is gona pull it up i have a good husband.
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

May 16, 2011
11:04 PM

Post #8568521

crit send me your add in a dmail and ill send you some nettie.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 17, 2011
3:29 AM

Post #8568620

HI MITT! I'm drooling! Ours has stopped blooming now so I gotta drool over the late bloomers from elsewhere. OH MY you gonna have blooms for a while now. Please post pictures for us. BEST way to keep my keyboard oiled up...
Nettie, Charleen was a little under the weather she got bit with a tick and got lyme disease and just feeling weak and lousy. But she is getting better , she had to go to the dr. for medications and is slowly getting her strength back.
Have a wonderful day everyone and AL, have fun.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 17, 2011
4:16 AM

Post #8568658

All I can say is WOW, mitt. Those are beautiful. When all those buds open it will be a sea of color. "Color" me green. Envious. ^_^

A guy I went to school with got lyme disease and it really messed him up! Glad she caught it right away!

nettie, you've got mail...
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 17, 2011
6:05 AM

Post #8568841

I'm making my list and checking it twice, Mitt! :^)
enidcandles
Enid, OK

May 18, 2011
10:16 AM

Post #8571644

Hi all!

I posted these on the Plant Id forum too but thought I would see if anyone knows what they are.

This one got "shovel chopped".

Thumbnail by enidcandles

enidcandles
Enid, OK

May 18, 2011
10:18 AM

Post #8571649

What ever this is - it must be very prolific!!

Thumbnail by enidcandles

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 18, 2011
10:55 AM

Post #8571704

The first one looks like it might be a Crinum?
If the second pic is a different plant different possibly some type of Zephyranthes (rain lily)?
enidcandles
Enid, OK

May 18, 2011
11:09 AM

Post #8571722

I assume it is different - it was in a different spot and there was nothing that big planted there.

I will put the little ones where I was going to put the big ones - since I now know the big ones can get "BIG" I will put them somewhere roomy!

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 18, 2011
11:12 AM

Post #8571725

The rain lilys will grow in shade but will rarely bloom. They like sun and if they are happy will mulitply like rabbits;o) I like to plant them in bunches here and there in the gardens. There are several different types and several different flower colors and sizes!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 18, 2011
5:25 PM

Post #8572537

Yup, I agree with Kelly. Looks like a crinum and rain lily to me too.
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

May 18, 2011
10:46 PM

Post #8573096

mekos that is bad for rrm hate to hear that it is so hard to get over that ill be praying for her. love snd hugs nettie
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 19, 2011
5:44 AM

Post #8573346

She seems to be much better now Nettie, she stays busy making her clay creations and taking care of Charley. When I talk to her I will let her know you are asking about her.
Have a wonderful day everyone!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 19, 2011
12:14 PM

Post #8574063

Hey!! Nettie, I am back Nettie. i lost you all. got to stop losing my friends.
I'm feeling little better each day and now it warmed up lots better. don't worry Nettie our friends keep us in touch. Thank God for Friends.
Nettie, these are Japanese iris. they are so pretty. the white one is the largest bloom in the bog. This is my first year but I know it isn't going to be my last year if theGood Lord is willing. Love these plants.

Thumbnail by ridesredmule

littlenettie
Booneville, AR

May 19, 2011
8:16 PM

Post #8574957

rrm so good to have you back. i hate ticks but if you live in the country its hard to not get one ever so often. i get about 1 or 2 a week they like mr good. im so glad you are better, and i love the iris my bog is going to the garden club flower show in the morning several people think thry may do a bog garden. i think they would enjoy one i sure like mynr. ive got to go to bed earley cause i have to go in and help with things.i can.t be a night owl tonighi.love and hugs nettie.
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

May 19, 2011
8:25 PM

Post #8574972

mekos i think that is a rain lily the other one im not sure but probly what you said yhanks for checking on rrm for me love and hugs nettie.i ame run crazy almost forgot ashley graduation that would have been bad .just 2 more days of flower show ill make it. i always do.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 20, 2011
4:36 AM

Post #8575284

How do you make a bog garden?

Big storms rolling in here. We really still need the rain so I'm glad!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2011
7:29 AM

Post #8575570

Just get a big tub or container without bottom holes for drainage and fill 2/3 or more with soil and put a few drain holes a few inches down from the top of soil and add water to let soil soak it up and add plants. If you use CPS they have to have peat/perlite soil and only rain water but Iris or bog plants can use regular soil and water. You can make any kind you want. Fun to do. Container gardening at it's best!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 20, 2011
8:38 AM

Post #8575658

I use peatmoss too, in my bogs. Oh I love the Louisiana iris, this is my first year and I am hooked. Now I need a yellow one to go with the ones I have. Hope the ones I got grow so I can share ...
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2011
10:37 AM

Post #8575827

Me too! I'm drooling!
Mitt
Philadelphia, PA

May 20, 2011
12:31 PM

Post #8575973

You told me you LOVED and you were hooked on bearded irises RRM.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 20, 2011
1:11 PM

Post #8576036

i guess i fibbed, ILOVE THEM ALL!!! There that should cover them all, in case I love something else.☺☺☺ You are right Mekos..Aren't I terrible????
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2011
1:55 PM

Post #8576105

Ain't we ALL? LOL But it sure is FUN!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 20, 2011
5:53 PM

Post #8576532

Thanks for the info. What is CPS?
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2011
7:16 PM

Post #8576708

Carnivorous plants.
enidcandles
Enid, OK

May 21, 2011
6:28 AM

Post #8577215

Don't do it Crit! STAY AWAY from the CPs!! I spent somewhere near a million dollars on CPs and killed them all. LOL
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2011
6:51 AM

Post #8577290

lol enid! I bought a VFT a couple months ago and had it out when we were having a rain shower, when it started to HAIL! Broke off what few tiny leaves/mouths it had. I still have it, waiting to see if it will regrow. Years ago I had a larger one, don't know whatever happened to it. That was 30 yrs ago.
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 21, 2011
8:25 AM

Post #8577458

Well we're back on the Hudson River again, this time near Poughkepsie above NYC. This computer is awful, probably older than my Lincoln. I really need to buy a new laptop for trips. We're working through today, traveling to Albany and North Country Sunday, then home Tuesday or Wednesday. Area is beautiul this time of year around Hudson, we're near Washington Irving's "Sleepy Hollow" and " Rip Van Winkle's Bridge". Yes, they are real places right here in Hudson Valley.

I'll be back in a couple of days

Al
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2011
12:38 PM

Post #8577791

Sounds like a lot of fun ,Al. Be careful and take lots of pictures. You know I'll never get to see those places otherwise.
Look what I got blooming today. My Tango lily!

Thumbnail by mekos

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2011
1:01 PM

Post #8577824

So pretty mekos.

Have a good time al, be sure to share pictures!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2011
1:33 PM

Post #8577853

Crit, don't listen to Enid. She kills everything that can't run away... Jest sayin...
Enid, I need another one of them vicks plants like you gave me afore Christmas, mine died.
:^| My brgandy hollyhock in bloom.

Thumbnail by mekos

enidcandles
Enid, OK

May 21, 2011
5:41 PM

Post #8578229

Mine died too - I do need to go to the greenhouse and see if they have it again this year! I really liked that plant; gave some to the neighbor too, hers died...must not be a very good liver!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2011
8:45 AM

Post #8579345

Here is my walking Iris today. It finally decided to add more than 1 or 2 blooms at a time.

Thumbnail by mekos

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2011
10:54 AM

Post #8579549

That's cool. I didn't know that critter existed until this spring!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2011
11:36 AM

Post #8579613

Each flower will make a new plant at the end so I am gonna try to root a few for friends and iffin yall want one let me know and remind me in a month or so when they are ready.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2011
12:04 PM

Post #8579671

Yes, I would. Will try to remember to remind you. Thx

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 22, 2011
12:17 PM

Post #8579710

Hi peeps! Mekos, that Tango Lily is to die for. Wowzer!
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

May 22, 2011
12:24 PM

Post #8579729

hi everyone im fenished with gsrden show was sure alot of work, im give out will take ne a while to rest up so i can get caught up with my stuff. if i ever do.hope you all have a good day,bill planted the pond iris for me threw one on top of a water lily said he would get the rake and make it go down he can reach it not me friend gave it to me those things grow 5or6 feet tall they will be pretty out in the pond.gona take me a little nap talk later love nettir
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2011
2:21 PM

Post #8580007

Hi Nettie, how did you do in the garden show? Hope it went well for you. Rest up and come back and tell us all about it. I wanna hear about them pond Iris. I'm all ears now.
Thanks Kelly. It was opened more today and looked prettier.

Thumbnail by mekos

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2011
2:22 PM

Post #8580013

Better view I think...
Edited to say NO this one is blurry. Sorry.

This message was edited May 22, 2011 4:24 PM

Thumbnail by mekos

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 22, 2011
6:04 PM

Post #8580418

Beautiful!! I wonder if I can grow them here...
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2011
7:03 PM

Post #8580573

Gorsh Kelly, you don't have any lilies at all? No Tiger lilies either?

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 22, 2011
7:06 PM

Post #8580589

Nope - Daylilies and Rain Lilys are it. Not sure what else will grow here;o)

Thumbnail by locakelly

Mitt
Philadelphia, PA

May 22, 2011
7:26 PM

Post #8580646

Blooming today Kelly...Try some Bearded Irises ;-)

Thumbnail by Mitt

littlenettie
Booneville, AR

May 22, 2011
7:41 PM

Post #8580692

beem to church to listen io parker sing not half bad im sure he will get brtter in time . bill still has to fix the water iris im sure he will get it done, ill see ro it love nettie

This message was edited May 22, 2011 10:37 PM

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 22, 2011
8:03 PM

Post #8580718

Sweet Mit!! I could live in that field of Iris;o)
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

May 22, 2011
8:17 PM

Post #8580753

mekos i placed second in two classies large orental and one tiny little thing will show pictures as soon as grand daughter brings camera out and puts it in the puter i forgot to take myme, the little one almost made me crazy.it is so hard to find plant material small enough to do an arrangement with. i would grow my owne but you just can/t find anything sny where, im fine with the second place wins love nettie
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

May 22, 2011
8:43 PM

Post #8580797

got to get off puter lots of lightimg talk later love and hugs nettie,
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

May 22, 2011
9:30 PM

Post #8580874

storm went away hope it stays away, nothing around here likes thunder or lighting. not even me the dogs have to be held.
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

May 22, 2011
10:52 PM

Post #8580928

mekos a friend gave me those pond iris they sell for 15.00 a piece she says they make more real fast they sure get tall. i think they will be pretty in the pond.they sure won.t hurt anything. it has alot of water lily they are whitr and smell so good. ilike to watch the frogs play on the lily pads they are so funny.
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

May 22, 2011
10:58 PM

Post #8580933

mitt your iris are lovely and all neat wish i could say that of myne. they are all strung out from stem to stern maybee some day but not any time soon. you do such a good job with yours. love nettie
Mitt
Philadelphia, PA

May 23, 2011
1:11 AM

Post #8581053

Thank you Nettie.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2011
6:21 AM

Post #8581420

Mitt, those Iris are just amazing! I'd love to go lie down in the middle and just breath it is. They smell so good and the colors are breath taking! Thank you so much for those you sent me last year.
That is wonderful to get second place Nettie, I bet it was beautiful.
I have a bad head cold this morning with watery eyes and sore throat and stuffy sinus head and coughing so I am off to bed again. Will check back in later but wishing you all a great day!
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

May 23, 2011
10:27 AM

Post #8582000

norning all got through to joplin all my family are ok damage to roofs and windows but no one hurt . some times my days go from bad to worse i pray this one stays on track.i am glad no one was hurt hate it for the loss of life need to pray for the familys who lost love ones. love nettie
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2011
1:49 PM

Post #8582427

Thank God Nettie, they are ok. I saw on the news where tornados tore through a hospital area and drug people out the windows in Joplin.
So sorry for those people. Prayers go out to them and families.
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 24, 2011
3:53 PM

Post #8584942

Wow - You folks are making the national news, a total mess in Joplin. Hope everybody is okay still. My Army days took me through that area some 45 years ago.

We're back home again after working and touring the Hudson area a few days. I didn't get a chance to fly because of mechanical problems with the planes and weather wasn't that great anyway. We may make one more trip through that area in mid June if things work out.

We did tour Washington Irving's home on the lower Hudson. He was well known author, statesman, and international traveler in the 1800-1850 era. Irving wrote the classics "Legends of Sleepy Hollow", "Headless Horseman", and "Rip Van Winkle" series of short stories, among many others. He lived fairly modestly in a smaller "cottage" type home and farm off the Hudson river as compared to the many huge mansions owned by the filthy rich there. He was a great entertainer, though, and had many important visitors to his retreat in the woods. I've got a few pictures to show later of the beautiful grounds and area.

Al
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

May 24, 2011
4:56 PM

Post #8585064

This is the little second place baby, miniture arrangement.this is the wrong picture nettie

This message was edited May 25, 2011 12:44 PM

Thumbnail by littlenettie

littlenettie
Booneville, AR

May 24, 2011
4:58 PM

Post #8585070

This is the second place in the large oriental.

Thumbnail by littlenettie

littlenettie
Booneville, AR

May 24, 2011
5:02 PM

Post #8585080

the yop one is the wrong picture sorry netti the one with the purple iris was myne.

This message was edited May 24, 2011 6:23 PM
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 24, 2011
5:17 PM

Post #8585114

lovely ornamental nettie!

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 24, 2011
5:23 PM

Post #8585137

Very nice Nettie!

Here is a Daylily I got from Seray last fall... Forty Second Street is her name and she is a double, but the first flower open (FFO) is a single but a beauty...

Thumbnail by locakelly

enidcandles
Enid, OK

May 24, 2011
5:43 PM

Post #8585179

Wow - pretty!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 24, 2011
6:02 PM

Post #8585219

Beautiful, Nettie. You did great Girl.. Proud of you!! Hugs!!!!
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

May 24, 2011
7:34 PM

Post #8585440

thank you crit im going to try and get your things in the mail this week. i think you can root them yourself they are not hard to root. nettie.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2011
4:37 AM

Post #8585897

Not going to say ~whispering~ty ... 'cause I don't want them to die, but you know. ^_^
enidcandles
Enid, OK

May 25, 2011
4:46 AM

Post #8585907

Oh now Crit - I had to get over the thank you thing a long time ago. I figured out that thanking or not thanking doesn't seem to matter much on my gifts living. Watering or not watering however seems to make a major difference. LOL
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2011

Post #8585923

lol enid. Really? you need to do that too? Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 25, 2011
7:24 AM

Post #8586137

Yes, but Pegi, Lori still kills some. ☺ I do too. We all do, it's just that some plants don't want to live with us and some do!!!
enidcandles
Enid, OK

May 25, 2011
8:19 AM

Post #8586280

Some??? Lots! Oodles of death around here. There is lots and lots of stuff that refuses to live with me. Azaleas and CP both hate me a lot!!
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

May 25, 2011
12:07 PM

Post #8586702

we had more storm last night 4 people killed at etna i wish this mess would stop.they say we may have another week of bad weather sure hope not. nettie mekos don,t you think crit could start some walking iris , i just pen them to the ground they do just fine like that for me. ive been told they will start roots in water iv never done them in water but several people i know have. what do you think.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2011
2:22 PM

Post #8586928

I do mine in water Nettie. But laying in soil is just as good. Which ever way you choose is best!
I love your arrangements Nettie. You did a great job!
Kelly, the daylily is gorgeous. I had one to open so far but it is a plain jane so to speak, orange.They are pretty but very common. I really want the gorgeous beauties to open.
Lori, Did you get all the Iris dug from your friend?
Watch out for all the storms coming through, more to pass through all week.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2011
5:06 PM

Post #8587171

This is my first lily to bloom this year. I planted it last year before I worried about what it's name was, so I don't know. :-(

Thumbnail by Crit

Mitt
Philadelphia, PA

May 26, 2011
3:17 PM

Post #8589108

Some more pictures of the irises today Jan

Thumbnail by Mitt

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 26, 2011
4:47 PM

Post #8589270

Beautiful Mit...
So are your lilies , Crit
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 26, 2011
5:45 PM

Post #8589391

WOW MITT! What a rainbow of colors! Ahhhhhhhhhhh, that is amazing! I would be in heaven right there in the middle! Gotta get Charley ready to travel Charleen. My will power to stay away is getting mighty low! I'm drooling all over my puter and keyboard!
All of mine are done gone and big seed pods are popped out all over.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 27, 2011
4:32 AM

Post #8590190

I sure wish I had scratch&sniff on my screen. The smell from all those iris must be heavenly!!!
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

May 27, 2011
5:57 AM

Post #8590331

Wanted to stop in and say hello... You guys have posted some really pretty pictures.. First Mekos I love those picture of your Mothers day Angel in the Park!! Love the outdoor photos so precious.. I also really really love that black calla lily!! Endi that young man has the sweetest smile, I can just see the mischief wanting to come out of him.. Mitt I love those irises, as always you have out done your self again this year.. Dee glad to have you here on the forum those are nice pictures your are posting. Nettie I hope the storms didnt get to ruff on you Wed night..I only had minor limb damage, but theres 3 tree down around my Dads and Grandmothers(live right next to each other)and one forked tree that is still standing but it cracked it the way thru down to the ground. you can see where it tried to pull the roots out of the ground...Amazing Just a crack right down the middle of the tree..All are safe tho lots of light poles down just amazing how it just rip them in half like they are nothing.. Spent yesterday cleaning there yards and on my way back there now after I get my coffee drank..

Critt I love what you have done with you have done with your shaded area!! I like that daylily loca.. Love to see flowers my friends have shared with me blooming..That makes them so special..Right now with all the destruction and storms happening across the nation I think we need to stop and take time to tell our friends how special they are to us and thank God for allowing us to share our love and friendship with each other...So I stopped by to tell you all that you mean alot to me and I pray daily that God keeps us all safe from harm and the evils of the world.. This is a picture of daylily bayou bride.. I wasnt impressed by her last year but this year she has been a beauty to me and loaded with flowers..

Thumbnail by huneybunch_2000

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2011
10:25 AM

Post #8590783

HUGS to you my friend, Trish! That IS a beautiful Daylily. WOW! Hope Caleb's hand is doing better. You take care helping out there and don't get hurt. I am so glad all my friends are safe and made it through the storms so far. This year has been horrible with deadly storms passing through, one right after another. I think we are all blessed to be alive after what I have seen happen all around. God bless you all and have a safe and happy weekend holiday.
I thank God for all of our service people who have given their time, putting their lives on hold to serve and for all those who have put their lives on the line to protect us and all those precious soldiers who have given their lives to keep us safe. God bless them all! Happy Memorial day weekend to you all.

Thumbnail by mekos

enidcandles
Enid, OK

May 27, 2011
2:34 PM

Post #8591185

My First Hollyhock EVER!!

Thumbnail by enidcandles

enidcandles
Enid, OK

May 27, 2011
2:37 PM

Post #8591193

And a Lily

Thumbnail by enidcandles

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 27, 2011
3:25 PM

Post #8591286

I love that last lily. Reminds me of Mekos Tango.. wonder if it is????hmmmmmm...

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2011
5:05 PM

Post #8591494

Beautiful lily!

And I just love hollyhocks. I have rust on mine at this new house that is persistent, but so am I. :)

Big buds, can't wait to see my friends again - bumble bees love them too...

A.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2011
9:41 PM

Post #8592032

Beautiful Lori! And your Hollyhock is a double! Wow!
The lily is beautiful and it is a Tango Lily. I don't know the actual name of that particular color but it is a Tango. ;^}
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

May 27, 2011
10:16 PM

Post #8592068

Congrats on the first HH! And love your lily! My HH have actually started this year, at least some of the seeds sprouted anyway! Can't wait to see what they will look like, as they will be my first ones too! Gonna have to put those tango lilies on my wish list too! They are gorgeous!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 28, 2011
7:52 AM

Post #8592489

I have a few HH that are coming up from seed I put out last year. They came up last year, but didn't bloom. This year they have buds on them. Just 'patiently' waiting ...NOT. I have some more of several type, including doubles, that I am going to put out also.
dmtom
Deep South, TX
(Zone 9b)

May 28, 2011
8:20 AM

Post #8592533

I planted some black HH in the spring and they're doing good. DW says they bloom the second year. Can't wait till they bloom.

enidcandles
Enid, OK

May 28, 2011
8:42 AM

Post #8592599

The lily is Starlette - I got it from sunshineflowerbulbs.com. I have others from them but they have not bloomed out yet - they all have lots of buds just haven't opened up! I can't wait.

The hollyhocks were planted last year - I had great foliage but no flowers - they too have lots of buds, that little beauty was just the first to bloom.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 28, 2011
9:09 AM

Post #8592672

So pretty!
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 28, 2011
11:31 AM

Post #8592802

Last year was the first time I've had any success at all with hollys. We bought two commercial pails full of them at a nursery and also planted lots of seeds from friends that had them, some from DG. Around here they are called "outhouse flowers" because usually that's where you'll find them growing in the wild. They can be very pretty if they are not hit with the rusty wilt. Some of the doubles are nice in yellow and pink. Seeds are easy to pick and toss in the fall when they dry off.

Al
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 28, 2011
3:00 PM

Post #8593082

I have a deep burgandy red single and a gorgeous double dark purple blooming. This is the dark red and it gets very tall. This one is about a 6-7 footer. My other one , the double is a dwarf. It gets about 1-2 foot tall and covered with blooms.

Thumbnail by mekos

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 28, 2011
3:35 PM

Post #8593182

I have one that is tall and not a lot of leaves. I wonder if I got it from you, Mekos? I can't remember but it is very pretty.

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 28, 2011
3:38 PM

Post #8593192

This is my pink one now coming back, last year's picture. Gotta love 'em.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 28, 2011
3:47 PM

Post #8593211

Gorgeous blooms yall. Here is my dwarf, as you can see it is smaller than the Iris leaves. If I had known it was gonna stay that short, I would have put it elsewhere so it could have been seen better.

Thumbnail by mekos

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 28, 2011
3:48 PM

Post #8593213

Everyone remember to stop during your busy weekend and take time to smell the flowers!

Thumbnail by mekos

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 28, 2011
3:50 PM

Post #8593215

Better shot of the blooms to my dwarf one.

Thumbnail by mekos

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 28, 2011
3:51 PM

Post #8593219

My butterfly bush is blooming!

Thumbnail by mekos

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 28, 2011
3:52 PM

Post #8593221

And my blue hygrangea bush has a few small blooms started!

Thumbnail by mekos

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 28, 2011
3:54 PM

Post #8593228

Arejay those plants you were trying to figure what they were? Well see if this is like the foliage of one of them. It is Love in a Mist and is FULL of seed pods about to pop open!

Thumbnail by mekos

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 28, 2011
3:55 PM

Post #8593234

Here they are blooming so you can see closer to see what they should look like.

Thumbnail by mekos

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 28, 2011
4:15 PM

Post #8593270

Lace caps are blooming. Aren't they pretty?

enidcandles
Enid, OK

May 28, 2011
5:52 PM

Post #8593390

Ohhh - I think I love Lace Caps!
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

May 28, 2011
5:55 PM

Post #8593393

mekos what goes the stevia plant look like nettie
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 28, 2011
9:38 PM

Post #8593821

I'll have to get you a picture Nettie. I put my old pictures on a removable usb port storage and don't have one of my new seedlings, I don't think, but I will go look. If I don't find one, I'll take a picture tomorrow.
Here Nettie.
http://www.rain-tree.com/Plant-Images/Stevia_rebaudiana_p3.jpg

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 29, 2011
9:19 AM

Post #8594574

Pretty flowers, everyone!

I am waiting for my HH to bloom, but I can't fight the rust as fast as it reappears.

The plants seem to appreciate my efforts, though, so I'll keep at feeding and spraying (fungicide) and cut 'em down entirely for next year.

-sigh-

A.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 29, 2011
10:49 AM

Post #8594682

WHEW! Break time. Been outside planting in the front garden. A bunch of the roots I got at HD don't seem to be doing anything. I have 1 plant coming up from oodles that I planted!!! Not happy. Will keep watching them...

Cooking onion-burgers on the grill for lunch. Well, not me, DH. He is my griller.

Pic is of my longears, Powderkey, munching down! lol

Thumbnail by Crit

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 29, 2011

Post #8594693

Love it. :)
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 29, 2011
11:30 AM

Post #8594728

How cute Crit, we love the long ears! BIG SMILES!
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 29, 2011
11:30 AM

Post #8594729

Yeah - Picnic food today, hot dogs, burgers w/fresh onions, Italian sausage on the grill. We've got lots of help from the kids and GD Olivia. Beautiful weather today for a change.

Al
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 29, 2011
2:25 PM

Post #8594964

This is Jake, my mini siberian burro

Thumbnail by Crit

skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

May 29, 2011
2:27 PM

Post #8594969

Wish we had some of that weather here, as it's cold, and rainy, again. Or maybe I should say still :-( Makes it wet and cold working out in the yard, but I did anyway some, as I just don't have time during the week, and can't wait any longer for warm dry weather.

OH! And for everyone's information, if you ever want to move an established rhubarb plant, you will need to use a tree spade. Actually, I think any trees that I have moved, have smaller roots than the rhubarb, seriously!
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

May 29, 2011
2:28 PM

Post #8594971

Sorry, Crit, over posted with you. Jake is adorable!!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 29, 2011
2:28 PM

Post #8594972

Sounds great Al. Have fun with the family and GGD. I bet she is having fun!
We are gonna have our cook out day tomorrow and give me more time to get over my cold. We are gonna go up in the mountains where it will be cooler and see if I can still breathe ok outside. Too hot here. We have a little friend who is about 10 years old and never been fishing since he has no dad alive, and DH gonna take him fishing and teach him how it's done. So I'll be cheering ya all on today. I'm hugging the air-ditioner!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 29, 2011
2:30 PM

Post #8594977

Well Skellogg, we do si doed too.LOL
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

May 29, 2011
2:30 PM

Post #8594979

Jan, do take care of yourself! I think it's great that you're taking a young'en fishing and teaching him how! Awesome!
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

May 29, 2011
2:31 PM

Post #8594983

Might as well dance! It's fun and great exercise, lol!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 29, 2011
4:44 PM

Post #8595226

That's really nice of your DH to 'take him under his wing' and teach him some things like that. I lost my dad when I was 6, but one of my older brothers took on me as his responsibility and made sure I knew how to do things. Plus girlscouts helped out a lot too. I was such a tomboy, was???...AM, I loved doing all that stuff.
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

May 29, 2011
4:58 PM

Post #8595258

LOL! I'm still a tomboy and still love doing stuff like that!
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

May 29, 2011
9:56 PM

Post #8595771

thanks mekos enid my day lilly like yours is blooming today has 5or6 more blooms to open. the others we got last year haven,t bloomed yet im just waiting to see them. nettie
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 30, 2011
8:37 AM

Post #8596664

Happy Memorial Day everybody. We're enjoying our downtown parade today! Livy, Mom, and the boys joined us for lunch on the porch right here at home.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 30, 2011
8:44 AM

Post #8596686

Have a great time al. She is precious!
Mitt
Philadelphia, PA

May 30, 2011

Post #8596726

Livy is beautiful Al. She is getting to be a big girl

Happy Memorial Day everyone !
enidcandles
Enid, OK

May 30, 2011

Post #8596728

Ahh - too cute!
Too dang windy here for a picnic - even my windmill looks like it could take flight any moment - worried about my weeping willow too, looks like it could be blown over today as well. The joys of living in Oklahoma!

I hope everyone has a happy and safe Memorial Day!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 30, 2011
1:27 PM

Post #8597326

I agree enid!

Got the front flowerbed finished. Had to change the direction of the soaker hoses so it would run downhill instead of uphill. UGH. I ran it from the bottom last year, but these flat hoses don't let enough water go through I guess. Then, it wasn't wanting to run downhill either, and all those new babies I put in needed drinks, so I turned on the sprinkler. Have it clear at the south end because the wind is blowing the water so much. To quote an intellegent okie "The joys of living in Oklahoma!"
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 30, 2011
6:15 PM

Post #8597939

Our little man we took fishing. He baited his own hook with a worm, DH showed him how.

Thumbnail by mekos

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 30, 2011
6:17 PM

Post #8597944

And look what he got. BIG SMILE!

Thumbnail by mekos

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 30, 2011
6:19 PM

Post #8597950

And DH caught a trout at the Fish Hatchery in the mountains. Of course we tossed them both back in to grow more. The trout was big enough to eat but the brim was small.

Thumbnail by mekos

skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

May 30, 2011
10:26 PM

Post #8598461

Jan, you have 2 very good looking young men there. How lucky that young man is to have you and your DH in his life to be able to teach him the important things like fishing! What a great day for you all! Did you have any trouble breathing? Hope you didn't overdo it and enjoyed the day!
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

May 30, 2011
10:47 PM

Post #8598473

hi mekos i may get a stevia plant at atwoods today they keep alot of things like that. if im luckey they will have some. hope so love and hugs nettie
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 31, 2011
4:24 AM

Post #8598624

What a WHOOPER!!!! :-) When my daughter was little, she always had to 'pet' the fish before we threw them back. lol
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

May 31, 2011
5:29 AM

Post #8598706

Morning everyone! Hope that you all had a wonderful Memorial Day weekend and enjoyed making and experiencing great memories ;-) Just wanted to let everyone know that in a couple of days, my subscription here will be expiring, and since DH has been layed off due to the weather since March 1st, I do not plan on renewing at this time. I still plan on visiting on the free sites, to hang out and keep in touch with you all. Just wanted to say "Thanks!" to all of you that have become my great friends and have sent me some of the most wonderful gifts here over the last couple of years. I will be keeping all of you in my prayers, and will hold you all next to my heart! I've enjoyed all of you, so please, keep in touch. Most of my closest friends here know how to keep in touch with me on FB, or other gardening sites, and have my email, so please, keep in touch! This is not a goodbye, as I do plan on renewing at a later date, when money is more accessible to us, and I will still be here on the free forums :-) I just wanted to let everyone know and to thank you all for being so generous to me over time, whether it was for the great plants, seeds, or just the great info on everything, that you have so generously provided!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 31, 2011
6:38 AM

Post #8598816

Hey, Skel:

I just read a thread last night that said something about an "Angel Fund" for members and renewal. You should inquire about this to an admin.

It's where you pay it forward and backwards.

Loveya. ;)

A.
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

May 31, 2011
7:11 AM

Post #8598886

Hi Amanda! Hope you had a great weekend! I'm kinda aware of the angel fund, but just sort of figured it should be for people who are really "needy". With all the people who have lost so much this year with all the storms, tornadoes, etc. they have it much worse than we do, really. They have so much more to replace and should be using "angel fund" for their memberships, so they will have funds for replacing everything they have lost. With so many that have lost so much; homes, families, personal belongings, and everything, they really do need angels ;-) So far, we have still managed to keep all of that, we are just broke, lol!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 31, 2011
5:00 PM

Post #8600000

OH, I bet you'll be around for a while yet.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 31, 2011
5:17 PM

Post #8600019

Hi Sandi, Thanks for the sweet words, we went to N.C. mountains where it was very cool. We left out early with a lunch basket and they fished and toured the trout in the holding pens and even got to see the rangers turn out a whole pen of nice size trout to the stream where they were fishing from. About 1:00pm it was getting warmer even there under all the enormous trees and we packed up and came back down the mountain. Austin's Dad died when he was 2 -on his 2nd birthday actually, so he has never had a male figure to do things with. (Kinda like our step grandson whose Dad ran out on them when he was a tiny baby and he never had any positive male to influence his life till they came into our life a while back). DH likes to fish and this gives him a fishing buddy since I cannot handle the heat out there. Austin talked about his trip all evening and all day today. He had the best time! We did too.
I came home and unpacked everything and took a nap so I am fine.
I have a 3 month time off from babysitting now , (Other grandma has 3 months off work for summer and she is babysitting now for 3 months),so I am gonna try to get some house cleaning done and finally make my calendar quilt ,I have planned for a while now, for kaylee.
Hope everyone had a good weekend and rested up.
Look what I had to bloom today!

Thumbnail by mekos

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 31, 2011
5:18 PM

Post #8600021

And this one too.

Thumbnail by mekos

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 31, 2011
5:20 PM

Post #8600026

And my Devil's Claw bloomed!

Thumbnail by mekos

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 31, 2011
5:20 PM

Post #8600029

My White Tango lily

Thumbnail by mekos

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 31, 2011
5:22 PM

Post #8600032

My Gloriosa lily has buds about to open.

Thumbnail by mekos

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 31, 2011
5:23 PM

Post #8600036

And my gardenia bush is covered in blooms. It smells like heaven around here.

Thumbnail by mekos

dmtom
Deep South, TX
(Zone 9b)

May 31, 2011
5:27 PM

Post #8600046

hate to interupt, but the thread is getting a little long. Beautiful flowers tho!!!

Thumbnail by dmtom

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 31, 2011
5:42 PM

Post #8600073

Beautiful, all beautiful.
Look what I plantedLast summer and it bloomed
someone sent me seed and it bloomed. Thank you Everyone, this is so pretty, I don't know who sent it but I love it!!!

enidcandles
Enid, OK

May 31, 2011
6:51 PM

Post #8600258

new thread
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1186236/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America