New Bees 05/06/11 friends - new and old...Come on in...

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Well, for us in the south, I think summer is officially here, at least temperature-wise! It hit 100° in Phoenix today! Already? Tell us your plans for your garden, share some pictures, ask questions or just come and chat about what is going on in your life!

This is the place to chat and hang out and share with friends - new and old...

Any links you all want me to add to this let me know!

We came from here... http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1174152/

Come on in...

Direction for free seeds for newbies here...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1160896/

Newbies that get lost and found here...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1010521/

Lasagna Beds for newbies here...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1037637/

Thumbnail by locakelly
Fair Play, SC(Zone 7b)

Marking my spot!
Yippie, I am firstest!

Booneville, AR

just poped over to say goodnight love and hugs nettie thanks for the new thread kelly you are the best girl.

Booneville, AR

mekos i keep meaning to ask you about wess wife how is she doing. nettie

Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

oh ya.... thanks nettie. I forgot about having to be a dg member. Duh me! I'll tell her

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

Hi Gals - I found the new thread. Wifey and I are in Kingston on the Hudson River about halfway north from NYC to Albany. She is a judge in a piano competition there for 3 days, I'm just hanging around and sight seeing some of the old mansions and gardens in the area. It's part of the older historic NY along the Hudson River. The Roosevelt family lived here, both Teddy and FDR, along with several other wealthys including the Vanderbilts. Lots of history born here.

Going back home Sunday, about a 5 hour drive.

Al

WOW.... would love to be with you. Love touring those old homes!

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Morning everyone!

Mekos, why were you up so late girl? You and nettie are night owls I swear;o)

Al, that sounds like a nice way to spend the time - sightseeing! Pictures?

Hi Crit! Tell your friend to join so she can come hang with us!

Had a surprise in the garden this morning - this Daylily is Star Twister - I love the spiders and this is one of my favorites. I got it in a trade last fall and have been waiting for a bloom since...

Thumbnail by locakelly

Very pretty!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Just going along with the crowd. Thanks! :)

Enid, OK

I think touring the old homes and gardens would be super cool! Our old in Oklahoma and the old up there are two different things. I have seen pictures of some of the historic sites and would love to see them up close and in person.

Pretty Spider! Can't wait til mine start blooming.

I have just about decided I hate irises - they seem to be multiplying right before my eyes and they are taking contol of my life!

and I can't get my iris to do more than 4 or 5 blooms at a time....TOPS. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr I need to come to enid and divide your iris.

Enid, OK

Crit - you just lost me! Do you mean you only have 3 - 4 varieties blooming at once? Do you have several varieties in one bed? If you have early, mid and late season bloomers all in one spot chances are you won't get a full bed of blooms all at once.

Now, if your irises just suck and won't bloom, I can hook you up!
Oh, did you add bone meal when you planted them? This seems to be important in the wonderful soil here.

Ladoga, IN(Zone 6a)

Good evening everyone. I new to this forum, but I have been a member of DG, since 2001.
I love growing all kinds of plants from maters to brugs, and everything in between.And this seems to be the place to talk about them all.I have noticed that a couple of my buds are hanging here, so it has to be great!
Looking forward to gabbin' with y'all and sharing pics of plants.
Dee

Edited because I was off by 10 years on how long I have been a member of DG...lol Not fun, getting old. :o(

This message was edited May 8, 2011 8:52 AM

Enid, OK

Welcome! You are in the right place, we talk about everything here...kinda like sittin' on your porch and hanging with the neighborhood.

Booneville, AR

hi amanda what kind of flowers do you grow? i like them all love nettie

Booneville, AR

hi dees good to have you just jump in with both feet thats what we do i don,t do shoes unles im going to town. love nettie

Booneville, AR

enid my neiohbors are not all warm and cudly hope you arf not disapointed in me but i can,t stand to wake up to some nut out in the woods doing a tarzan yell the one on the other side has 3 children that fight all day i love them but not on my front porch sorry about that.i like to have my coffee in quite so i think it is going to be a good day nice.im never rude to my neighbors just a little stand offish my bad can,t help it one had a habit of barrowing bills tools the big pipe rinch bill would have to barrow it back home you did here that. some people if they barrow it its theirs. you don,t won,t my neighbors if you do ill see what i can do.

This message was edited May 7, 2011 10:10 PM

This message was edited May 7, 2011 10:12 PM

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Hi Dee - I've seen you on the Brug forum and the trading Forums. Not sure if you remember but you sent me some Caladiums for postage back when I joined DG;o)

Got most of the "chores" done then we decided to take the boys to the movies. We saw Thor - God of Thunder. Now you have to understand I live in a house of 3 boys and 1 man-boy (DH), so when we all go to the movies I really don't get to choose what we see. The movie was actually pretty good for a "comic book" movie. I've sure seen some cheesy ones - Fantastic Four comes to mind, and X-Men... Thor was watchable and had some pretty funny parts as well. It was a good family outing!

Gonna check e-mails and check in on the eagles nests then hit the sack.

Booneville, AR

i goy the vinca cut bask today it was covering the hosta up looks nice on the tool shead but have to cut it back every year, that or use round up i gg heve sharp cutters and a sore back nettie

Enid. I mean I only have 4-5 'flowers' at any one time. I don't know what the are as 2 of the iris beds were here when I moved here. I thinned them last fall and actually are doing more than last spring. I had a total of 2 flowers last spring. The 3rd bed is iris I had bought and planted at our other house the year before we moved. So I dug up some starts and planted them here. I made the bed out of miracle grow potting mix and something else a little heavier. They just got planted last spring and the leaves look lovely this year, but no buds yet. I have some other places I want to make some iris beds. Would also like to plant some along our fenceline so it looks pretty going up to the house. I have asked on a couple different threads if there were a fertilizer I should use on the iris, and no one ever really said, except maybe to water with MG.

WELCOME DeeS. You will love it here. I agree with enid, its like just setting around and visiting with friends.

lol@nettie and her bare feet. She's from Arkansas you know. ^_^ We love her. I don't wear shoes unless I just have to when I'm home. If I do, it is usually flip flops. I can just hear her neighbor with the Tarzan yell... LMBO

I saw a review on Thor and it said for a 96 minute movie there was 96 seconds that were worth the money to see it. LOL

Oh, meant to include this in the above post. This is mid day when they are not getting a lot of sun. They get morning and afternoon sun. Am going to have DH trim some of the branches I couldn't get with my loppers

Thumbnail by Crit
Enid, OK

No, don't water with Miracle Grow! Use bone meal or blood meal - hop on over to the iris forum and let the pros fill you in! Nice bunch over there. You have D-mail.

Happy Mother's Day all!

Nettie you can keep your neighbors - I will keep the mean ones I have, at least they don't bother me much!

Enid, OK

Beautify Crit!

do you have a link to the iris forum? I'll look for it. That is just the ticket. I'd love to get on that one. Thanks!

I have good neighbors. None to close, but we are all like family. Get along well, but stay out of each others business. Always willing to lend a hand.

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY ALL!! HAVE A GREAT DAY!!

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

I found the iris forum and have been lurking around the threads there. ^_^

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

♥ Happy ♥ Mother's ♥ Day ♥ !!

Thumbnail by locakelly

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY TO EVERYONE! Even those who have 4 legged fur-babies

Booneville, AR

hi people another day another snake cotton mouth water mocion spelled thay wrong my bad. about 3ft long and very fat dh shot it 5 times he said it just wouldn,t go away it was in my flower bed that i cleaned out lasy night. im starting yo like weeds better all the time nettie

Enid, OK

I am not going to deal with snakes! Cotton mouths and copper heads scare me to death..the others just scare me to near death!
Have you tried moth balls in your flower beds? That is supposed to keep them away - I know people that swear by it!

Don't get too close to those snakes Nettie - I would hate to see the headlines in the paper "Little Nettie Bites Copper Head - Snake not expected to survive" LOL Poor Nettie - at least you know when I am picking on you, I am giving someone else a break.

Good night all, I have to pack it in now, been a long, long day!!

I use moth balls and so far so good. I especially put them arund doorways in the fall so nothing decides it wants to live in the house or garage with us through the winter.

Ladoga, IN(Zone 6a)

Thanks, for the warm welcome everyone.Now, that little nettie must be a character...for some reason, I'm getting this vision of a barefooted woman, standing in the garden with a wild look on her face, hair flying in the breeze, while holding the body of the snake in one hand, and a evil grin on her face as she smiles with the snake head clenched between her teeth....lol...
locakelly, I sure do remember sending ya those caladiums.Crit you have a beautiful yard.looks like a park!
Thanks, for the mother's day flowers, locakelly, and lycodad, they are beautiful! Kelly that is an ostespermum, isn't it. I am getting ready to plant some today. It is the first time that I have grown them. I started these from seeds under the lights.
Dee

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Dee, I think your mental picture of nettie is right on - lol! Yep, that is an Ostespermum - my favorite color - purple;o) They are pretty in the garden. This one is in a container I did a while back...

Enid, OK

Nettie - where are you?? You aren't here defending yourself, that dang snake didn't get you did it?

Poor Nettie - I pick on her a lot, probably because we are so much alike!

Everyone have a great day, wind blowing and 100 here today - think I may stay inside and vacuum or something.

Fair Play, SC(Zone 7b)

Anyone know what kind my babies here are? They built in my bluebird house, but I really don't think they are blue birds at all.
Beautiful here today. Light breeze blowing and sunny.
Welcome to all the newbee arrivals! Hugs and welcome. Pull up a chair and jump in when you feel froggy.

Thumbnail by mekos
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Mekos - my first guess is catbird. My mother raised one from a fledgeling. Second guess is titmouse. Coloring and markings come in later. Depends on size.

Booneville, AR

enid i thought we were gona grow flower seed in that carpet, you must have gone off the deep end get a grip girl you are setting a bad example for me love and hugs nettie.

Booneville, AR

kelly i have some of those blue flowers had to put them in a cage to keep them from flopping they are such a pretty color. love nettie. they are all over the roads here.nice when they are all bloming.

Booneville, AR

mekos love your little ones i get house rens they are so sweat love them. one makes her nest in one of the hanging baskets i don,t water that plant much don,t wont to wet the little ones down. plant gets kinda dry but i do,t mind just let them build where they build. nettie.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.