SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub

Can anyone identify this shrub? It's a very hardy evergreen shrub. I took these cuttings from our house in Atlanta, and I am trying to root them in a glass of water.

My journal entry is here:

http://davesgarden.com/gj/dave/viewentry/3307.html

It's a very nice and attractive verigiated design, and softwood throughout (no woody stems to speak of).

The cuttings came from a plant that is about 6 feet tall. The plant looks like this year round.

Any hints as to a name for this guy would be appreciated.

Dave

Thumbnail by dave
Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

Looks much like "Aucuba" Gold spot or dust, can't recall which one! One is Acucba japonica 'Picturata' the other is 'Variegata' .. Lisa

This message was edited Monday, Feb 26th 9:29 PM

Well done, Lisa. I looked that up (changing the genus slightly) and found pictures. They look very similar, but not exact. I may have a different species under this same genus. Shrug. This has /got/ to be this genus for sure, though.

(Zone 5b)

Nana Variegata? I know this is an old post but...

Dahlonega, GA

Did you get a plant out of it ? I have had some luck sticking them in the ground ( potting soil )and keeping damp but for me , hard to root. digger

Belize, Belize

Could it be a type of croton? I have seen some that look similar.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 9b)

Looks like Aucuba japonica 'Variegata' (aka Gold Dust, Maculata, Puncturata) http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/130/

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Definitely Aucuba, not Croton!

Resin

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

How many moves ago was this, Dave? Do you even still own the plant? It's fun seeing old threads pop back up, anyway. :-)

Billingshurst, United Kingdom

Whether it ever has berries or not could give some kind of clue to the cultivar. But it looks like A. j. 'Variegata' to me , just going by the degree of spotiness

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

someone needs to remind the originator of this thread that we have strong policies regarding marking your threads solved! LOLROF

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

LOL!

Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

I think 8 years is past the statute of limitations, Trackinsand....grin

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

so we can't hang him out to dry? lol

Whadda ya mean WE, Kimosabe? LOL Somehow, I get the feeling we are free to TRY......grin

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

roflol!!! i thought WE are supposed to stick together!

I will absolutely have your back, and defend your right to chastise Dave right up to the point my login stops working.....grin

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

yeah, i would definitely stop right BEFORE i went too far (reaching that little toe out)! lol i don't want any blank screens staring me in the face......

(Zone 1)

hmm ... this identification thread is almost 9 years old? I wonder if Dave remembered to label his plant? I wonder if he even still has this plant? I wonder if he knows that we are here?

^_^

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i would say, no, no, and yes........lol

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

LOL

(Really, really wanting to ask if you noticed the dog in the photo, but deciding that it would probably be safer to just hit send now instead....)

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

that wouldn't be shay dog now, would it? LOL (it's been so long, i can't remember if it was spelled shay or shea or if i'm even close!)

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Shey... southwest of the monkey... LOL http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/530015/

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

omg, i'm going to read the whole thing tonight. what fun memories. thanks!

for any of you who haven't read this thread, you HAVE to!

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

TOO funny! What a great thread - really a hall of fame thread! You HAVE to read it!

(Zone 1)

ROFLMBO! I didn't even make it to the half way mark on that thread so someone please tell me, did the person ever come back to tell where exactly her dog was? I keep looking at everyone's pictures of that garden and I THINK I see a Dalmatian on the left side of the picture in the flowers! I wish I could figure out how to do the circles on the photo so I could post it, but it sure looks like a dalmatian from neck up, showing the right side of it's head and face!

Ok ... going back to read the rest of that thread! I love a good mystery! ^_^

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i'm not telling...you HAVE to read it!

it's such a funny thread and it's bittersweet to see some of the dg'ers who posted. ginni (tgif) and donna (tuttifruitti) have both passed away. rachel (butterqueen) went mia as did patischell and a few others too. it's neat that their wit and their giggling and kookiness will be preserved forever on DG.

(Zone 1)

I just finished reading the entire thread and was laughing so hard all the way down the page! I posted on there and bumped it up!

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i just re-read it too! dinner was late........

(Zone 1)

I thought I was posting here but posted on the other thread ... I KNOW I'm seeing a dog! Flowerjen is trying to do the circle thing for me to show what I'm seeing. I'm computer illiterate and don't know how to draw circles on the photo like some of y'all did! http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/530015/

Trackinsand....Kudos to you all for making a simple edit epic....my Grandson took one look at the picture and said "I don't see a dog, but what about the green moose hiding by the tree?" Grin

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i hope Dave is enjoying this thread......

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

I see several green meese.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

resin, please use proper names. you know what sticklers we are. Rodentus meesus 'greenii'

(Zone 1)

Oh, oh, oh ... are they smiling green meese? I think I see them, really I do! ^_^

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Yous guys is gonna git canned!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Wow... I never realized meese - I mean moose were rodents! I learn something every day in here!

LOL

And such huge rodents....LOL I have to agree, the plant floating over the back of the impatiens does look very much like a moose having dined on green persimmons.....

Beautiful, BC(Zone 9b)

I still think it looks like Aucuba japonica 'Variegata'.

Good on you, Growin.....grin. After all this time it is good to know some things are a constant....unless the plant taxonomists have had another brain blip and changed the name. lol

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.