Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: TEA ROOM # 88

Communities > Forums > Australian and New Zealand Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Australian and New Zealand GardeningReplies: 228, Views: 1,093
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 8, 2011
2:41 PM

Post #8548021

Good morning everyone. Here we are moved again. My goodness, sneaking our way through May, it will be the middle of the year in no time. Anthony, I'm sure spring cant be that far away. My daffodils are coming up. Poor misguided things. They will get a shock if their stick their yellow heads out here any time soon. Its quite cold but at least we havent had the icy winds. YET!!!
Hubby says , just wait, they will turn up.
My son in Perth tells me that they are still having very dry weather with warm days. I may have to move back over there to keep warm.
As much as we complain about the cold, it is needed by so many of our favorite plants.
Where would I be without my lovely irises which love cold winters, or all our bulbs which also need that rest in the cold.
Anthony, do you have chestnuts there to cook on the fire? I used to love winter in Bright for that. Delicious.
Hello to everyone out there, I hope you found the right path back to our Tea Room. I had better get over and put up a direction sign. Have a happy day.
We came from here...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1174972/
Jean.

This message was edited May 9, 2011 8:56 AM

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Click the image for an enlarged view.

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

May 8, 2011
3:38 PM

Post #8548126

I can't believe I'm actually the first to find you here, Jean!! Happy Mother's Day to you too, and to all of you Moms there. I popped in to make sure you are all enjoying your Mother's Day as much as I am today. Hank took me on a lovely plant whistle stop trip. We went to several plant places along the way and ended up with quite a nice haul. We bought some heuchera, a dark red bleeding heart, yellow, fuschia and deep blue primroses, pansies in many different colors and a chartreuse spirea with dark red flowers. I also have a number of hybrid petunias to plant yet. So far, Jean, I have put in dark red snapdragons, fuschia and white trailing petunias, bright red geraniums and white/purple eye osteospermum daisies. Mostly I've been cleaning up the gardens and getting them ready to plant some colorful flowers here and there between the daylilies, etc.. I wake up excited to be back and waiting to see what has come up and what birds are stopping by to say hello. On our travels today, I bought Hank his first birthday present ...an outdoor cement bulldog with a red shirt that will be painted Yale colors as soon as I can buy the right color paint. He saw this bulldog last year when we were shopping at this garden center on my birthday, and he has mentioned him a few times since. So, I bought him today and he is now out in the yard for the girls to play around. Here's a photo taken right after they discovered him today. I think they are huddling to discuss the fact that he is now wearing Yale's rival's colors and figuring out why I would do such a thing to Hank! :)

Dianne - that bathtub area looks divine...you must love a good soak in such a peaceful and pretty place!!

Thumbnail by DonnieBrook

77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 8, 2011
3:58 PM

Post #8548177

Louise, the girls are looking like mischief is afoot. Maybe they don tlike the idea of another dog in the yard, especially if wearing the wrong color. lol
Your garden sounds as if it is going to be just one beautiful rainbow. you will have to show us when it is in full flower.
What a lovely hubby Hank is, taking you on a plant trip. . Mine tends to be a bit softhearted when I want plants , but will drive past nurseries pretending he didnt see them sometimes.
Better get up from here and brave the cold. I have to put out the washing.
Enjoy your day.
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 8, 2011
6:56 PM

Post #8548620

Hi Loise we had a lovely Mother's day (Yesterday:) we are a day ahead of you over in the USA ...I hope you all have a lovely day over there too!
It's still brisk here ...hard to get out of those warm covers in the dark morning here, must be disciplined though.
My day has half gone and nothing much done because it was nurse day here.
Better go do some washing and cooking now ...way behind.
A big wave to all our tea room friends ...back a bit later.
Brugmansia S.white in the jungle this morning.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

May 8, 2011
11:02 PM

Post #8549005

this morning we had the insurance assessor out to check the earthquake damage here...
the back wall needs to be demolished & rebuilt, and the patio like wise.
About 20 pavers need to be lifted & relaid as well.
All in all pretty minimal damage.
We are very lucky.
I took Mum out for lunch today, we had Mango chicken which I haven't tried before. It was nice but I think I prefer butter chicken, not as sweet.
I managed to plant my cyclamen while I was waiting for the insurance assessor. I also dug up some volunteer poppies & will take them to the RSA for the garden there.
I spread a few around my garden too, I started with one lonely plant a few years ago & have gained more each season.

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

May 9, 2011
12:51 AM

Post #8549037

[quote="dalfyre"]this morning we had the insurance assessor out to check the earthquake damage here...
the back wall needs to be demolished & rebuilt, and the patio like wise.
About 20 pavers need to be lifted & relaid as well.
All in all pretty minimal damage.
We are very lucky.
I took Mum out for lunch today, we had Mango chicken which I haven't tried before. It was nice but I think I prefer butter chicken, not as sweet.
I managed to plant my cyclamen while I was waiting for the insurance assessor. I also dug up some volunteer poppies & will take them to the RSA for the garden there.
I spread a few around my garden too, I started with one lonely plant a few years ago & have gained more each season.

[/quote]
Hope it doesn't take too long before everything gets fixed for you.

Another wet and cold day here at Buderim today. I am so over this wet weather.
I did manage to get some sewing done so when it is fine I can get straight back to the garden.
Found a herb pot at the tip when I dumped some garden rubbish...painted it and have one fern planted in it so far. I intend to plant all ferns in it.

This message was edited May 9, 2011 3:58 AM
gardengal
se qld
Australia

May 9, 2011
12:58 AM

Post #8549040

I'm not too keen on fruity savoury dishes either Teresa. Dishes such as apricot chicken, and sweet and sour, or even sultanas in a curry, I've never been able to enjoy. Yucky!

I love fresh mangoes, but find the smell of them quite sickly. Seems a bit weird to me. lol

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

May 9, 2011
1:01 AM

Post #8549042

My fern pot.

Thumbnail by Marleneann

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

May 9, 2011
1:48 AM

Post #8549055

yes jean,chestnuts here,but,i dont think i'll cook them[horse],.theresa,if you tried my chilli chicken,[hot+],you would think the mango chicken was delish!!!,.,.the 'big red van'[not the wiggles] pulled up out front today,with my orienpet lilium order,..,big luscious purple bulbs screaming out''plant me,plant me'',so i did!!,..,i placed another massive bulb order over the internet this arvo[i need rehabilitation help],.,.at least its healthy addiction!!!.,.,Footy starts soon[12 mins]-so i must get prepped,-anthony

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 9, 2011
1:52 AM

Post #8549058

Jean, I am so glad that you mention those plastic GHs when you do...that's why I bought mine the other day...
All of my Brugmansia seedlings, Desert Roses,Liliums and one poor Frangipani seedling without a head, due to a ravenous snail, are all tucked in for the Winter...I have confidence that the Frangi will sprout again...fingers crossed..
the best part is that they are next to the glass doors and so I can see them at all times...

Louise, I would love to say that I can have a restful soak in that bath, but as soon as I get in, Matilda, my dog brings all her rubber toys and drops them in...I am usually sitting on a rubber Kong, while she drops more of her squeeky toys in amongst the bubbles.
When she was a pup, she would walk around the edge...now she is too chunky and there is only room in there for me.
Many's the time I have laid back and closed my eyes, only to get a tennis ball dropped on my head.
I have tried to lock her out, but who can resist those big bug eyes...so I shower more these days.

I like the sound of your dark red Bleeding Hearts...I have a pale pink one but nothing like the size of the one you showed us last year...I can't remember ever seeing a dark red one, pics please when you can...I will get the darker pink this year.

Marlene, great pick up that pot..good size for your ferns...
Good luck tonight, Anthony...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 9, 2011
2:56 PM

Post #8550468

Good morning everyone. Still quite dull here as there is a lot of cloud. I dont think we will see the sun any time soon. Its annoying that the sun manages to come out and be lovely for about half an hour in the late afternoon when I am going inside to get tea on.
Everything in the garden seems to be growing in slow motion now with the cold. Except the weeds that is.
Hello Dianne. I have 3 of those g/houses now and they are just great. The sellers say they are only a temporary shelter but the first two of mine have been up for quite a few years you can do so much with them . I have my 3 tier mini g/h inside the new one. Great for extra protection for the really delicate things. Not that I grow delicate things, but good for starting seeds in cold weather. I have shadecloth over mine which slows any deterioration in the sun and also holds them down in high winds.
Hello Anthony. Sounds like you are going to be up to your neck in beautiful liliums . I have mine all in pots along the new g/house where they get sun all day and some shelter from the wind.
Cant wait to see pics of all yours when they bloom. Yes , it is a healthy addiction which gives so much pleasure.
Hello Teresa, so glad you will get all your things repaired . You can feel a lot better about letting Copper out in the garden too.
Great find with that pot Marlene.
Chrissy, hope your brother is coming on well.
Hello to Colleen, Pam, Karen and Elaine.
Charleen, loved that photo of the long ears. Louise, pats for the cuties.
I am going to finish my cuppa and warm my fingers up.
Have a great day and enjoy those gardens.
Stay warm and try some of these Chocolate Brownies. .
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

May 9, 2011
2:57 PM

Post #8550472

Brrrr bit cool here this morning. I think we're in for some cold weather this year. Good morning everyone. Hope all are keeping well. Karen hope you're feeling lots better after your hospital stay. The neighbours all but one are cutting down their palms today, so the wagon has to come out to tote them home to the broms. Thought that I might cut some about 6" deep and plant broms straight into them. I reckon ferns would look good in them too. It will save on pots anyway. Got myself another lot of shelving yesterday. I didn't have to pay for it.. My kind of price. John has posted my camera express post so we'll see if it gets delivered overnight. You will know when I have it. I'm sure that you'll hear me let out a whoopeeeeeee!!!!!!!. Oh, I have missed my camera. I still have some flowers out on the brugs so get ready. lol. Be back later. Colleen

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 9, 2011
4:11 PM

Post #8550620

Colleen, you will be catching up to Jean, with your GHs...so glad that your camera is on it's way...can't wait to see that new Brug.

Whew, that was close Anthony, bet your heart was in your mouth...

Bought an old fashioned Aster" Monch" yesterday and an Osteospermum "Voltage", brilliant yellow...

When we bought this house going on 4 yrs ago now...I had planned to include all of my favourites and being a small garden, I planned it very carefully...since the Brugmansias and Liliums came on the scene...there is chaos...colour co-ordination has gone out the window...I looked at it all yesterday and thought "oh well, now it looks like all my other gardens"..not such a bad thing.

Very cool this morning, only 8c outside...all the babies in the little plastic GH look very snug...It's great being able to see them while I am inside.
Dianne

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 9, 2011
6:43 PM

Post #8551043

Shhhh Colleen ...maybe we won't,

(pssst but I think that's right)

I have been out in the sunshine ...beautiful soft gentle sunlight.
Been chatting with my plants saying goodnight to some as they start to fall asleep and admiring the ones enjoying the cooler times.
The Oak tree next door has already lost all of it's leaves,so you know Winter is upon us here early.
We are very lucky because if the sun comes out on Winter days here it's just a delight, so long as the wind stays away.
We do on the whole have sunny Winters except for the last one and I love Winter for that reason.

I recently read somewhere that my area is well known for it's cloud cover in Summer, now they tell me ...I thought everyone was having that.
I guess that is why we are but 10 mins from Warragamba Dam.

Is anyone planting Winter veggies?
I am going to try some hard wood cuttings this year and am looking forward to trying my hand at that.

I hope everyone enjoys their day.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 9, 2011
11:27 PM

Post #8551456

Hard wood cuttings of what, Chrissie?

I used to grow Caulis, Broccoli and Brussel Sprouts, they grew very well, but I got sick of dusting them for aphids...Broad Beans are easy...but I'm getting lazy in Winter and prefer to give the garden and me a rest.

If anyone remembers Lazy Toc from the school readers, then that is what I am turning into this Winter...
The convenience of having those seedlings right next to me while I use this laptop, is marvellous...I can see what they are up to at any time of day.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

May 9, 2011
11:57 PM

Post #8551496

I'm back in to let you know that my new camera is here and it works beautifully.

Thumbnail by ctmorris

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 10, 2011
12:30 AM

Post #8551502

Oh Dianne I am jealous now ...that looks so good ...what a nice way to enjoy Winter.

No I would not grow those things ...I grow greens in Winter ...all the leafy stuff.
Peas too usually but I missed planting lots of stuff this year because I can't be gone outside for more than half hour interludes, so there isn't a lot of time because most that time is allotted to my Brugs.
I usually grow beetroot in the suntrap and they are great for both greens and the veg itself.
I love growing my own stuff but because I don't use pesticides I am careful what I do grow.
Right now the chokos have finally put in an appearance, the Jerusalem artichokes are ready to harvest any time now but they are nicer after the frost, The climbing spinach is finally coming to life with sun. Radishes have just gone in.Sweet potatoes should be ready to start plundering soon.The herbs are pick all the time.

Happy to see the happy snaps Colleen.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 10, 2011
12:34 AM

Post #8551503

Forgot to say ...Hardwood cuttings of everything! Lol.
I want to clear some spaces so I will try to take cuttings of the prunings.
My Jungle is eating the secret garden ...so lots of hacking is in order.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

May 10, 2011
1:34 AM

Post #8551514

3 degrees here this morning ,and it was ffffffffff,[very cold],.,.startling game of football last night dianne,[like a game from the 70's],without mud!!!,.jean,im impressed with myself,even with last nights additions,the place looks clean and organised,.,i had a very busy day at work today,but somehow managed to veer off track,to the tip shop,.,.once there,i think i was in ''pot heaven'',-no !not a cafe in germany,but huge 'yates' pots stacked up,.,.i purchased 13,18 inch pots, for $10[almost new].,,.you beauty!!!!!!,..,aureliens love big pots,so these are earmarked,..,.,major aches and pains are cutting in on me with the cold weather,but i'll battle on!,.,.stay warm!!-anthony
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

May 10, 2011
2:16 PM

Post #8552767

Good morning everyone. A bit soggy here after the rain, but glorious sunshine this morning, so I hope it will dry out a bit. Cool too. Are we expecting a longer, colder winter this year? I didn't order that! It means a lot of nursing of pots, moving them to find some sun but keeping them protected too.

Hospital visit today but just a short one. Then will look around and see what mischief I can get into. Have a lovely day.

Karen
77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 10, 2011
2:40 PM

Post #8552829

Good morning everyone. Well. its lucky I went out to see a garden yesterday as it has not stopped raining since. We have had just over 1/2 inch already. The weeds are laughing at me.
I was in salvia heaven yesterday. I was invited to visit a lady who grows salvias and pentsemons. I now have a wish list a mile long.
She has hundreds of them. The garden was so beautiful. She is on a farm so has lots of room. I was so envious. I came home with cuttings to pot up and I will be going back later in the year to get small plants.
I have never seen so many salvias in one place and so many growing so large. Some are up to the spouting along the house. I simply must have some . I am going out in my garden later to see where I can make a new salvia space. Of course , a lot will not go well here where it is so much windier with less shelter, but I will get what I can. I felt I had quite a few here but my poor little salvia space is midget sized. compared to that garden.
Hello Anthony, you are lucky getting those pots. we used to be able to get any that came into the old tip, but now everything goes to the "transfer station" there is nothing available. Everything all tossed in huge bins and noone can get anything.
Keep battling on with the aches . Moving keeps us all going . Have you tried glucosamine tablets ? I find they help especially with the aches in the hip joints.
Hello Chrissy. I am already getting hardwood cuttings going. Lots of abutilons and a few buddleas so far.
Colleen, congrats on the new camera. Very nice pic. Dont you love that salvia leucantha. . I have lots spread around along with the salvia leucantha 'Pink Velour' They do look nice together as the Pink Velour flowers are mostly white with little pink noses.
Dianne. arent you glad to have the little greenhouse ? Mine sits inside the large new G/H.
Hello to Karen, Pam, Teresa and Elaine.
Karen, if you are up to mischief today, I bet a plant goes home with you . Take it easy after the hospital visit.
Charleen and Louise, I hope you are getting lots of lovely sun.
With winter really on its way here, I may have to take another trip on the carpet to your warm gardens.
Charleen, if you see something flying over it may be me.
I'm off to get another cuppa to warm my fingers.
Try this Coffee Walnut Cake and enjoy your day.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

May 10, 2011
3:52 PM

Post #8553032

Good morning everyone. Oh it's so lovely having a camera again. This is a pic of a palm flower. 7 palms were cut down in my street yesterday, and guess who was toting palm pieces for the broms all day. Boy they're heavy. I was using my little trolley at first but found that the sack trolley was easier. My poor knee didn't like it but my broms and SH will. Have a heap of washing to do today so had better get to it. The boys are nearly ready for school. be back later. everyone have a wonderful day. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 10, 2011
4:45 PM

Post #8553191

Oh poor palm ...just look at that,
cut down in the prime of it's life ...good thing you can at least recycle them Colleen, have fun with them.

Well we have had a light Frost this morning ...I thought it might hold off until mid June (the usual time) but no such luck, our fears of a very cold Winter are perhaps about to be realized.

Good deal on the pots Anthony :) yay treasure! stay warm mate!

Jean I love Salvias too ...such giving plants and generous self seeders. Yes your hardwood cuttings are on my list too ...it won't be long now just waiting for the leaves to drop off.

Well finished inside, now going out to see what damage Mr Frosty did :( nothing worse than going to the Window and looking down on white car roofs ...heart sinks.

I suppose it kills the bugs so we must be happy about that.
Stay warm everyone.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 10, 2011
6:56 PM

Post #8553537

Cold and wet here this morning.
That must have been very heavy work Colleen, you will have muscles on muscles...a great feature for your Broms though...
Nice to see your pics again.
Jean, that must have looked lovely, all those Salvias...aren't they a wonderful species...such variety and those velvet ones, unreal.

Karen, how about some of that glorious sunshine...all I have are grey skies, grey sea, grey day.
Heater on early this morning...
Jean, do your Brug Buds still open when it gets cold like this?...I only had OA flowering last year and it had finished flushing..

Great get on those pots Anthony...now you have to fill them...do you make your own potting mix or buy in bulk?

Even Tilly looked miserable on this cold morning.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 10, 2011
7:47 PM

Post #8553633

Dianne, I have found that GHA will flower with any buds still on the tree and he is still going with more buds even though it has been so cold.
I see BB is doing the same.
I dont have as many buds as everyone else seems to get as yet.
AM only had the one bud which did flower beautifully. in the cold.
Still raining here and looks like going on for some time.
Jean.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

May 10, 2011
8:39 PM

Post #8553754

dianne,i do a bit of everything with my pot mix,.,.$20 fills the ute with nursery grade mix,but then i add to that,.,.i buy pot mix from a horticultural supply outlet,bagged for about 1/2 the price of hardware stores,..,then i mix all sorts of goodies into it,..,i never use a rich mix under the bulb,..,since i sold all those bulbs to Sid at the market,i have been recycling that soil,with a seive,..,[have ended up with a good mix],and i also get to re-use the gravell,..,I couldnt help myself today,i wandered back to the tip shop,for another 18 pots[$18],..,for some reason,i dont have trouble filling them!!!!!!!!ha ha..,.,,,Mya sent me some goodies that i have to pot up,.,.,.,.best get into it.,.,anthony

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 10, 2011
11:21 PM

Post #8553918

Brrr it is sooo cold the Wind is blowing in through every crack and crevice ...one year the Man Hole cover went flying, too cold to even contemplate next Spring right now, oh my poor garden ...a gardeners lot, beautiful one day and stay inside the next.

So Anthony some stuff does get through to you?
That's interesting. Have fun mate it's too cold for me (the wind). I never plant in windy conditions.
Brug blooms will still bloom if it's wet or very humid ...it's cold dry air or wind that will finish them off as a rule, or a very cool night and a fairly hot day to follow. It's different for different places.
I don't have frizzles but now lots of yellowing leaves that will soon drop of ...although some plants look like they like cooler temps.
Off to make dinner
Enjoy your evening everyone.

This message was edited May 11, 2011 5:23 PM
77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 11, 2011
2:47 PM

Post #8555310

Good morning everyone. Shopping day today and I will be wearing a thick jumper and my coat. It is very cold. I think the rain has decided to stop for a while. it is always cold over in Hamilton when you get into the main street as the wind whistles up the cross streets. A good time to sit in a warm cafe and watch all the autumn leaves blow around.
I may not find any orphans today if it rains as they are kept outside at the shop.
Hello Anthony, Chrissy and everyone else. I hope you are all keeping nice and cosy. I am off as I need to get some washing into the machine before we leave.
Have a great day and keep warm.
Try a slice of this yummy Courgette Bread warm, with a cuppa Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

May 11, 2011
3:34 PM

Post #8556106

Good morning everyone.
Crisp clear morning here on the coast.
The Buderim Garden Club meets tomorrow afternoon. I will have to check to see if I have anything in flower to take for the floral competition.

Can anyone name a variety of Vireya that would be suitable for a big pot I have?
I want one that is a good flowerer. I prefer a pinkish colour.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 11, 2011
3:53 PM

Post #8556163

Same here Jean, Definitely scarf weather...
Mum and I are off to see Water for Elephants today, it looks good...

Hasn't the cold come early? Anthony you have had some really low temps and our northern friends are experiencing weird weather too.

Terrible earthquake in Spain...What next?
Everything in the garden is very happy with the cool weather...

Mrs Spider is in her shell watching tv, her web is full of takeaways, so she only has to scoot out, grab lunch, then it's back to the tv.

Marlene, I have 6 Vireyas, all have lived in pots for years, so I think that any pink that you like. will probably be suitable.

Back later..keep warm.

This message was edited May 12, 2011 9:55 AM
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

May 11, 2011
4:59 PM

Post #8556350

Good morning everyone. Pretty cool here too. I won't be looking forward to my next power bill. Enjoy your day at the movies Dianne and you too Jean. I bet you can't resist having a look for some orphans. You'll have to get them out of the cold and back to your place. I have so much to do and I don't know where to start so I'll sit here a bit longer. lol My camera is working beautifully but the flowers are getting a bit ratty now. Time to chop everything back, I think. Can't wait for the new lot of palm pieces to dry out. I have some lovely pieces that I reckon ferns might look good in. Just a thought at the moment. Must go be back later. Have a great day. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

May 12, 2011
12:44 AM

Post #8556982

Hope everyone is keeping warm. What happened to our beautiful, golden Autumn days? Actually, the day today was glorious, but the wind was up, and it was so cold.

Colleen, I am so pleased for you that you now have your camera. That shrub with the purple flowers is gorgeous.

Karen
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

May 12, 2011
1:25 AM

Post #8556995

its cold allright!!!!time to buy new socks and boots,.,.brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 12, 2011

Post #8556997

Yes that's a beaut pic Colleen ...I do love those pretty darlings.
It feels awful to have pretty plants that you can't capture to look at later, I often (as specially in Winter) just look at my pretty blooms in my cyber picture album don't you?.

Glad you enjoyed your day Karen ...too blowy here, not to mention soooo cold.

Dianne movie review? love to hear word of mouth rather than critic's reviews, it looked good in the ads.
I hope you enjoyed it ...nice day for movies I think.

Have fun at your garden club Marlene ...Garden Clubs are so wonderful you make great friends and get to see so many lovely things.

Any poor little orphans Jean?

Anthony ...how do you feel after all that planting?

Elaine? are you ok? how are you coping with the cold?

Loise and Charleen is it warm? I see some places have cold winds your way.

It's cocoa weather for sure here at my place ...the doonas on out too.

Enjoy your evening everyone.
Don't forget the stars aligns in the morning early (Aquarius aligns with Mars ) on Friday the 13th ...I wonder what it may bring.
Stay warm.

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

May 12, 2011
2:18 AM

Post #8557007

we had a raging nor'wester blowing this morning & it was incredibly warm all day.
I suspect we will pay for it with a southerly blast later...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 12, 2011
2:36 AM

Post #8557009

Teresa I was tossed off twice tonight before I got to you ...I was going to say what is happening in Spain must give you flash backs ...the Earth is very restless ...stay out of the wind :) I think it's blowing all the way up here, the She Oaks are howling.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrqTLZklyCw&feature=related
I was trying to post this earlier ...
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

May 12, 2011
2:39 AM

Post #8557011

https://picasaweb.google.com/RossBeckerNZ/2011April27IntoTheChristchurchRedZone#

hope this link works - pics from the heart of ChCh
77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 12, 2011
3:17 PM

Post #8558576

Good morning everyone. It seems we are all frozen . At least here, so far, we have not had the icy cold winds. I know they will turn up at some stage of the year. Probably early spring. We do get a lot of wind usually, but I am not missing it at all.
Showers most of yesterday and not too cold. I was able to take my coat off after lunch.
I was very naughty and had a lovely pie for lunch. Bacon & cheese. Very yummy.
I found no orphans that I wanted. Mostly daisies and a couple of larger trees. I did buy 2 salvias in tubes.
Looks fine so far this morning so I may get out to plant all the new salvias I am accumulating.
I really must get hubby to help me lift up some long pine posts later. I want them up on the roof of the shadehouse and across to the other side of the frame I am building. This will be higher than the present shadecloth, so the brugs will have more headroom.
I also have a very large echium that has to come out as it is growing right over the path there. I have to squeeze myself between brugs and echium.
I will transplant it elsewhere but I am not bothered if it doesnt survive as I have plenty of them around and they self seed like mad.
Anthony, keep warm down there and please dont push your cold weather up here. We have enough.
Hot soup weather now.
Colleen, you are going great with the new camera. Lovely flowers. I like your palm trunks too. I have only a couple of old tree fern bits but they are good for ferns etc.
Try cutting one in half lengthways and suspend from chain as a hanging container. I have 2 lovely pieces of the tree fern done this way. I just loop the chain around and secure with a joiner link. They will then hang happily from hooks.
I am presuming they will stand this treatment as I have never had any to try. If they tend to crack as mentioned in the brom thread, you could still strap them before hanging. I have epis and ferns on mine. I would keep to a usable size though. Mine are about 2' long.
I may be wrong but I would think the palm would be as strong as the tree fern for this.
Hello Teresa. It seems that the earth is shaking all over the place. Aside from the devastation caused, I do find it amazing that the whole piece of crust with Japan on it, has now moved so far.
We are on a restless planet.
Hello Pam and Karen. I hope you are both in better health now.
Dianne, I am reading 'Land of Painted Caves' now. It came around in the library quicker than I thought.
Chrissy. You keep those winds up there. My garden is looking pretty now we have more autumn color.
The snowball tree is red and the cotinus is turning from red to golden. I must try and get photos but its dull out there and looks like more rain.
Hello Louise and Charleen. I can imagine you sitting out in the sun in your pretty gardens . Pats for the young ladies and the long ears.
I am off to check the washing machine. Now that I am not standing there doing the wash the old way, I tend to forget the machine is going.
It will be a clothes dryer day today too. No use hanging stuff out in the damp.
I hope you all have an enjoyable weekend. Keep warm.
Try this big plate of Chocolate & Rum Truffles.
Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

May 12, 2011
3:27 PM

Post #8558598

Good beautiful morning. I hope that wind stays away today. It was straight off the Arctic yesterday and most uncomfortable.

Chrissy, I woke up too late to go see the stars this morning. Forgot all about it.

Teresa, those photos make me shiver. Yet still I can't imagine the horror those people went through, and hope I never experience it for myself. Seems there is a whole line of earthquakes from NZ up to Japan, including the "ring of fire", then small ones across to Alaska. One wonders if Mother Earth is building up to something real big.

Some running about to do today, so had best go get started. Takes me forever just to shower and dress these days.

Jean, will be interested to know what you think of the book when you've finished it.

Karen

This message was edited May 12, 2011 3:29 PM
sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

May 12, 2011
4:11 PM

Post #8558666

Good morning to All Have not had much time this last week to much out running around then a bit of trying to get the yard in order . Just hate the wind but this morning is beautiful took few pics around the yard will to show how its looking now .
To day have to move afew things around so lunch table is ready for winter sun till later-- elaine.

Thumbnail by sammut

gardengal
se qld
Australia

May 12, 2011
4:12 PM

Post #8558672

My gosh, Teresa! It's going to take a long time for the place to return to anything like 'normal' again, isn't it?

Back again from another flying (not literally) trip to Brisbane, driving down one day and back the next. I'm getting too old, it's exhausting. Will have do it again next month. A friend and I had plans of visiting the Greening Australia nursery at The Gap but ran out of time this trip so will go next time. Does anyone here know the nursery? She thought from the website that they only really carry tubestock (which is fine by me anyway), Is anyone able to enlighten us on this please?

It's been very cool here for the past few mornings too, and we've even had the wood fire going 2 or 3 nights. We're definitely in for a cooler Winter than last year, although it was very mild compared to a normal year. I think we only lit the fire half a dozen or so times last year, whereas by the time winter officially hits we'll have exceeded that already if the past few days are anything to go by.

No babies here for this past week or next week, so it's a chance to get a bit of painting done in the kitchen now that the tiling is done on the splashback. I think all the smell should be gone by the time Josh comes home next weekend if I do it in the next couple of days. Dear little man's 6 months old on Monday.

Have a great day all

Pam
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

May 12, 2011
5:01 PM

Post #8558749

Good morning everyone. FRIDAY today!!!!!! I wonder where Shelley got to? Good to see you pop in again Sammut. Hope you're not over-doing things. Your garden is looking lovely. Thank you Jean for the info on the palm uses. Will get John to cut some lenghth-wise for me and I'll get some chain. Might have to buy some skyhooks too. lol not too much hanging space left. I knew that you wouldn't be able to go shopping and not at least visit the garden centre. I think they have huge magnets that draw you towards them. If you saw the amount of plants that I have here, you would think that I would never visit a nursery again, but I still do. They might have just what I've been looking for all these years. Have some washing going and had better do some tidying up so will leave you all with a bit of wisdom. " I'm so far behind, that I thought I was first" lol Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

May 12, 2011
5:58 PM

Post #8558897

Still Thursday here, Colleen, so I still have Friday to look forward to. :) Was that beautiful blue shot perennial salvia? Very pretty!

Jean - it seems that it should not yet be time for you all to have such cold weather yet, but the time surely does pass quickly, so I really shouldn't be surprised. It is not warm yet here, but the daytime temps are in the upper 60s and lovely. I love walking along the pond in the mornings now. It is so refreshing. BUT - this morning as we were ending up our walk, we saw a guy apparently breaking into our friend's cabin on the other side of the pond from where we were. We know he's out of state, so we didn't take any chances by confronting him and called the police. We haven't heard anything further yet. It's such a shame how much crime is happening everywhere! At some point in the night, someone also knocked down the cairn of stacked stones Hank built in our front yard. We could see the tire marks on the dirt road where the person stopped and got out and knocked down the 5 foot tall cairn. Sad.

Marlene - love that fern pot!

Teresa - It sounds like you really did come out of the damage better than it might have been. I'm so happy to hear that. We were all so concerned about you. Crazy, crazy weather everywhere these days.

Dianne - I'm still chuckling about Tilly's interruptions of your peaceful soak! I think that is just priceless pup behavior. I know I would like Tilly! She's such a cutie too! Here's a shot of my baby red bleeding heart. It has fern-like leaves and it is right behind the pink stone in this garden.

Chrissy - I love that white brug. I have never seen a white one!

Stay warm everyone and keep the pretty flowers coming!
Louise

Thumbnail by DonnieBrook

sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

May 12, 2011
6:52 PM

Post #8559026

Hi Colleen I do things slow & easy only stay out side 4 hours a morning . have a great week end.---elaine.

Thumbnail by sammut

gardengal
se qld
Australia

May 12, 2011
7:06 PM

Post #8559066

Elaine, your mosaics are lovely.

Pam

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 12, 2011
10:46 PM

Post #8559405

Chrissy, Water for Elephants was a very confronting, but a very interesting portrayal of circus life during the depression...
I thoroughly enjoyed it...most films these days don't have much of a plot...this was different...I will read the book as soon as I finish
The land of painted caves...
Just started it, Jean...waited till my daughter finished...

How sad it is Louise, when people destroy other's possessions...it happens here too...they really don't consider what they are doing..or do they?... every now and again a lot of the local letterboxes get knocked over or pulled out...I can remember pinching fruit off neighbours trees and knocking on doors and annoying neighbours...but I don't think that it occurred to us to do malicious damage.

I realize that your delinquents were older, considering the tyre tracks...you have to ask why?
I hope that Hank rebuilds it...don't let them beat you...what a shame you couldn't connect an explosive to it and Boom...but that would be illegal wouldn't it..lol

Put your tips on the cats tonight Anthony...
gardengal
se qld
Australia

May 12, 2011
11:01 PM

Post #8559412

Well, we're $60 out of pocket after having to call the snake catcher. I got up from the computer after posting my last message and discovered that what I thought was a fly buzzing persistantly at the window just beside me was in fact what turned out to be a 2metre snake. I'd figured it was probably just a tree snake but with out 2 little bite-sized dogs, wasn't taking any chances. The study now stinks! They are aparently like skunks and have a vent toward their tail from which they eject stinky fluid if "excited" ... I've got to say it didn't look too excited to me. lol

The little dogs were exceptionally well behaved and I'm sure I've aged another 10 years today but otherwise, all well.

Pam

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 12, 2011
11:25 PM

Post #8559424

Yukky Pam, sounds terrifying and revolting...thank goodness your dogs were inside...
gardengal
se qld
Australia

May 12, 2011
11:48 PM

Post #8559429

[quote="Seachanger"]Yukky Pam, sounds terrifying and revolting...thank goodness your dogs were inside...[/quote]

The trouble is, so was the snake, and as it turns out, much less than a foot away from me. The computer desk butts up against the wall directly below the window, with the window sill at eye height when sitting. I think I'd have had a coronary if I'd spotted it while still sitting there with just a net curtain between it and me.

I can cope with them outside, because most will tend to go the other way, but in the house where they can't escape and would be quite agitated is a different matter.

This message was edited May 13, 2011 4:53 PM
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

May 13, 2011
12:02 AM

Post #8559436

Pam , how did it get inside? Did you have the window open? Oh hll I would have freaked. Dianne, Can't wait to see Fernando. Mine is still only small here. Maybe after I pot it on it will grow a bit and maybe flower in the Spring. Colleen
gardengal
se qld
Australia

May 13, 2011
1:13 AM

Post #8559455

The only way I can think of that it could have come in is through the doggy door, Colleen, and then found its way accross the laundry accross the hallway to the study. I'm guessing it headed toward the light at the window. I don't want to think how long it may have been wriggling around inside otherwise.

To top off an eventful day, the power went out a bit before 5 and the power company has no idea when it will be back up. Thank goodness for generators and gas powered cooking equipment ...and laptop computers lol
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

May 13, 2011
1:37 AM

Post #8559463

even colder tonight,.snow down to 500,and it feels like it,.,.i brought in a couple of extra huge logs,..,even sooty threw an absolute 'wobbly' when the icy rain got on his fur,.Dianne, a tip on geelong isnt silly!!-or 'the suns',.,.
sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

May 13, 2011
1:46 AM

Post #8559466

OMG Pam whate a afternoon you have had .Not the kind of vistor any one would want.
Thanks the pots are from the first ones I done .
Take care and have a great week end --------elaine.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 13, 2011
2:54 PM

Post #8560904

Good morning everyone.
Looks like winter has arrived to stay for a while. Rain again and quite dark clouds hanging over the place. Nothing much will get done while everything is wet. If you dont see me around, please send out a search party as I may be lost in the weeds. They are growing while you watch. Laughing too, the darn things. Looks like another spring of hacking and getting rid of them at 3'high.

Hello Pam. Glad the snake wasnt any bigger and more aggressive. Lucky the dogs were not in its way.

Elaine, your mosiacs must give you much pleasure when you wander in your garden. So pretty. I just never seem to get to trying any. Maybe next summer
Hello Louise. What a sad thing to see something in your own garden ruined by outsiders. I do hope Hank does rebuild it . Maybe with a bit of cement hidden under the stones so it still looks natural. You did the right thing in not confronting that burglar. You never know what they are armed with.
The white brugs are very pretty and it is funny you saying you hadnt seen one . We here in Aust. were saying that all we had were whites for quite a while besides the odd apricot. Now there is a rainbow of colors for us.

Hello Karen. It will be interesting to hear views on the book when we have all had our read.

Dianne, your roses are still flowering and I'm looking forward to seeing them twice the size next season . Maurice is a very prolific bloomer.

Hello Anthony. Do you get snow at your place or more on the higher places ? I think the way it feels here, you may need a large lot of logs down there. It is freezing here and has not climbed over about 10C for days. I dread winter when the temps really drop. Maybe I'll be making a snowman in the yard.

Hello Charlene. pats for the longears and a special cookie for Charley.

Hello Colleen. What is that pretty grass in your pic ? I have some other growing nicely but I love the tops on yours.
You will have to get John to build you a further shadehouse with a strong roof to hang your palm bits from. When we built the fern house , I said to hubby , it had to be strong enough to hang lots of baskets from. . Thats the only drawback to the plastic greenhouses. One cant hang anything . I often look at all that empty space and wish I could hang things but the frame is only meant for temporary use.
I will be hanging a bit of Spanish Moss in the brom house though when I get some. I thought it would be very common and cheap,but it canr be found anywhere here .

Better go and see whats in the kitchen for nibbles.
Here we are , tasty Hedgehog Slices.
Have a great weekend.
Keep warm.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

gardengal
se qld
Australia

May 13, 2011
3:24 PM

Post #8560956

I'm glad you asked about the grass Jean - you reminded me that I have to deadhead mine. lol

Does anyone remember the planter poles from back in the 70's and early 80? Well if you come by any of the hooks or rings in op shops or where ever, they fit on 1/2 inch (I think, will have to check) galvanised pipe, which I simply bury far enough into the ground to hold upright, then hang the hooks at the appropriate heights up its length.

Another cold start here again, but the weather here was glorious during the day yesterday, even though I did have to spend a considerable part of it guarding a doorway to make sure a snake didn't come through it while I waited for the catcher to come. He got lost twice, and what should have taken him 20 minutes to get here ended up being well over an hour.

Here's hoping the day warms up for you all, and that you all have an enjoyable weekend.

Pam
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

May 13, 2011
3:41 PM

Post #8560980

Good morning everyone. Jean that grass is a smaller version of Pampas grass. I started with one little plant and now have 3 big clumps. Do you want some? Also, have you got that real dark purple Salvia. That grows very easily from slip. The neighbour gave me some pieces last year when she cut her's back and that's the result in one year. The bees and wanderer butterflies love it. The wanderers were also getting on the Lantana. It was wonderful to see them floating around the garden. Cameren and I are going to try, mind you I said TRY, to dig the duck a pond today. Branden has made a new friend at school and I think, at this stage, that he is going to play with him. Should be a lovely day here. The sun is shining at the moment but it is a bit nippy. Butter Bomb is absolutely covered with flowers and buds. Gee, It's a beautiful plant. After RFP I must say that he is my next favourite. Well I hope everyone is well and the aching shoulders etc are behaving themselves. Must go be back later. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 13, 2011
4:16 PM

Post #8561074

Pam, if I am remembering the same planter poles as you mentioned, I have 2 in my shadehouse.. They are the ones with the pole around 6' . with 4 curly arms that just grip the pole with the weight of the baskets. I found one at a garage sale for $1 and the other at the tip before it closed down.
I buried the base in the ground a bit for stability and have some of my zygos hanging on them. One even came with 4 brass baskets which I use down in the fern house.
I will keep an eye out for any more .
Thanks Colleen, but no type of pampas grass for me, I just liked the look of the tops. . I am going to look for some of that red fountain grass that seems to be in lots of gardens. I havent seen any in the nursery but may find some on eBay.
Yes, I do have that salvia in several places around the garden. It is lovely and I had lots of butterflies here too .
Still raining here so nothing has been done. I really must move from the heater before I cook myself.
Enjoy the day and keep warm.
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 13, 2011
5:47 PM

Post #8561288

I can't find anything worth a picture today everything is being tossed about in the wind.
Woke up with a very sore throat so I am staying inside.

Loving the pics everyone ...Elaine glad to see you busy again :)

Everyone is busy ...that's great!

I will be back when I have wandered around in here a bit ...take care and enjoy your day :)

http://m.facebook.com/ABCGardeningAustraliamagazine?refid=13

go see the lovely new roses raising money for the flying doctor service ... For those who don't do FB google Gardening Australia Magazine and pull it up.

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

May 13, 2011
6:09 PM

Post #8561351

Good morning everyone!

Another nice day here at Buderim.

g_whizz ...you can keep your cold weather I can barely cope with the 10 degrees here in the morning .

I have an Ipomoea alba in flower at the moment...waiting to see if I can get seeds from it.

Thumbnail by Marleneann

gardengal
se qld
Australia

May 13, 2011
8:02 PM

Post #8561614

Very same planter poles, Jean, Sometimes they came with a spring loaded pole that went between the ceiling and floor, but yes, same thing as what you have. The benefit of using gal pipe is that you can make it any length you like, and if buried, it won't rust out in no time like the thin tubing that would come with them.

Pam

This message was edited May 14, 2011 1:17 PM
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

May 13, 2011
8:16 PM

Post #8561631

its too cold to be outside,..,all ive done is grocery shopping, cleaned out the galah cages and hosed out the garage 'and brought in a heap of firewood'!!!! now i will spend the afternoon on the computer,looking at things i cant afford!![until tonights lotto draw],.
gardengal
se qld
Australia

May 13, 2011
8:19 PM

Post #8561636

When you say red fountain grass, Jean, do you mean the grass grass, or the cordyline that is sold under that name? If it's the grass -. purple fountain grass, I am happy to send you some, no need for Ebay. Please PM me your address if you'd like some.

It's in need of a prune anyway.

Pam

Thumbnail by gardengal

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 14, 2011
1:12 AM

Post #8561831

[quote="g_whizz"],.Dianne, a tip on geelong isnt silly!!-[/quote]

Was there a bit of sarcasm in there, Anthony?...lol

How did your garden club meeting go, Marlene...did you select a flower?

Pam, great idea with the poles...I remember those floor to ceiling ones...

Come to think about it I haven't seen Spanish moss for sale for ages, Jean...must have a look..
Good idea having a book review too.

Hope your back isn't hurting to badly,Colleen...before you complete your pond, have you seen what a mess ducks can make in a pond?...we had 2 ducks and one pond...never again...they were Muscovies...
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

May 14, 2011
2:03 AM

Post #8561843

no,no sarcasm,i think its great,.,.youll hear a few[collingwood] closet doors slam shut now!!
77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 14, 2011
2:51 PM

Post #8562762

Good morning everyone. Its still dark here this morning. Doesnt bode well for that fine and warmer day that was forecast. I am determined to get out there anyway and get lots of cuttings so I can work in the greenhouse.

Hello Pam . Yes I do mean the ' grass 'grass . I am liking the look of my grass area now that the mini knifophias are growing big enough to be seen. I have a few bits from my large grass that has lovely wavy fronds . I thought the color of the red grass would set it all off nicely.
I see my dutch iris at one edge of the area have started to pop up. In spring, with the liliums , I am hoping for agreat show. It may take another year for larger growth. The poor roses never did that well there as it gets really dry and hard. Theya re all looking beautiful out with the irises now.
I will send you my address via Dmail and thank you very much.

Hello Chrissy, my angels are still looking good. BB and GHA have buds still.
Hope you are managing to enjoy your garden and that your brother is coming along .

Hello Marlene, I can send you some lower temps if you like. Try around 8C all day. Bbrrrrrr.

Hello Elaine, keep warm and rested there.

Anthony, you are in the right place near the fire. Have you potted all your liliums yet ? Its enjoyable to look at all those flower sites even if one cant afford the plants. I love browsing around the irises , epis and liliums etc.

Colleen, your palm thingys look great. If you want to save a bit of room, try putting in a steel post and with a hole in the centre of the palm bits you can pile a few up for height. Make a sort of shortened tree for you broms etc. If you cant get a hole down the middle, cut them in half and use that banding to hold them back together around the post..
I agree with Dianne about the ducks. I used to breed them in WA and they have what I call "wet bums" where chooks are dry. You will be cleaning the pond for ever. If you do get any ducks , try anything but muscovies. Some dont really need a pond , just a water comtainer large enough to be able to get their heads in and splash as they need to have the water to preen them selves. I have raised many other breeds and also geese without a pond. Try something like a babys bath with a few bricks around . Much easier to clean. They do like fresh water , and it wont stay fresh for long if they can swim in it. In a small area they can get smelly too so watch for that.

Hello Dianne. I have finished the book and when everyone else has had their read, we can see what everyone thought of it.
My salvias are still looking good and I have decided to move a few other plants later in the year so I can enlarge the salvia garden.

Hello Charleen, are you okay over there ? I do hope you were not caught in any of the violent weather. I see more floods in some states too. It seems Mother Nature still has some nasty surprises in her cupboard.

Hello Louise. How is your weather. I also hope you are not getting any of the bad weather where you are. Pats for the girls . Hope you and Hank are enjoying being back in you lovely home.

I am seeing a bit more daylight out the window now. I may get things done today as I see no rain so far.
Very cold but a warm jumper or two will fix that. I always wear my garden gloves so my fingers wont get too cold I hope. Better see what I can put out for you all to nibble on.
Try these Chocolate Marshmallow Cupcakes.
Happy gardening and keep warm.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

May 14, 2011
3:07 PM

Post #8562792

Good morning Every one Iam a bit worried about my Frannie its grown beautiful but now I am getting winter frosts I dont want her to go to plant heaven I think I sould make a plastic tent to cover her does the plastic have to be clear the reason I ask I have shower curtains I want to use but they are not clear .
Hope your day is as nice as it is here the sun is out expect to get to about 18 today. ----elaine.

Thumbnail by sammut

gardengal
se qld
Australia

May 14, 2011
3:20 PM

Post #8562810

Morning all.

Elaine, your frangipani is likely to go into dormancy soon anyway, so I don't see that the colour of your shower curtain should make a lot of difference.

Pam
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

May 14, 2011
3:37 PM

Post #8562836

Good morning everyone. Just popped in to read the chatter and say hello.

My frangipanni is already curling up its leaves and fropping them. Too cold too soon for it, I guess. It had hardly started flowering, really. I am also waiting for the rest of the zygocactus to flower. I have a nice collection now, and yesterday at Bunnings I found some tube pots with some new ones at under $4 per pot. They are small plants but all are in bud, so will get to see the flowers when they bloom. The ones I got are...

Christmas Cheer
Lavender Lady
Sleigh Bells
Sanibel
Sterling
Gold Delight

Now I can't wait until they flower.

Hope everyone has a lovely day.

Karen
sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

May 14, 2011
4:04 PM

Post #8562893

Thanks Pam and Karen Last winter I moved the pot twice a day next to the house afternoon warm bricks - morning next to tin fence-just not up to all the lifting this winter just hope its old enought to flower next summer .-----elaine.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

May 14, 2011
4:32 PM

Post #8562952

Good morning everyone. I had a post ready to send and couldn't get a pic to attach then I hit the wrong button and lost the lot. Here we go again. I only have one old duck Jean and he's a brown one with a dark green head, a Kkaki campbell, I think. He already has a couple of plastic ponds but I thought that it would be nice to give him a larger one and then we can landscape it with rushes etc. Just a thought at the moment. I hurt my back yesterday working on that large palm trunk. I think that I will have to work with the smaller ones from now on and put them up on the bench so that I don't have to bend. The larger ones I can tote with the sack trolley and manuevre into place and stand the broms on top. Jean I was going to get the tree-loppers to leave one trunk entire, but I thought that I probably wouldn't be able to move it where I wanted. I'm glad I didn't now as the smaller ones are so heavy, I think I would have needed a crane to move a whole trunk. Well, boys are up and rearing to go so had better do some work. Be back later. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 14, 2011
4:42 PM

Post #8562971

Karen , thats a good buy with the zygos. I have all those except Gold Delight. Mine are budding and flowers starting to open slowly. Uusually I have a lovely show but last year and this year there have been a lot less buds. I did read that it is caused by low light levels during the day. We have had so many days where it has been very overcast and no sun at all right through the last few months.
Being under shadecloth would also drop the light level on dull days. There will be great years for flowers again. Thats the fun of gardening. One never knows what will happen.
Elaine , I hope your frangi sleeps well for the winter and flowers for you later.
The sun is trying to com eout here, so I may get out and try for some photos.
Heres Sleigh Bells.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

May 14, 2011
6:45 PM

Post #8563183

Good morning everyone!

Just drinking a lemon drink as I have had a cough for weeks now and just can't get rid of it.

Jean...I think it was you that sent me a cutting of Z. Madam Butterfly ...well it is flowering now.

Karen...you do have a nice collection too.

Thumbnail by Marleneann

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 14, 2011
10:14 PM

Post #8563436

Hello Marlene, I had a sore throat yesterday but I am feeling better today, sorry to hear you are still suffering.
Lemsip is very good. I wanted to say thanks for the dat seeds :) I will do my best to get them going ...much easier when they are fresh :)

Elaine the important thing with your plumeria is to keep it dry in Winter, see if you can get someone to move it under cover, frost protection and very little water in Winter is the key. Mine are just forming blooms now right in time to frost off, this Summer has been awful. I don't take mine inside but they are in built up beds growing in coarse sand.

Sorry still a bit head spinny but hope to be back on deck tomorrow ...hope everyone has enjoyed their weekend, loving all the pics, movie reviews, new plants, and jobs in progress.
Have a great evening ...love Sunday nights don't you?
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

May 15, 2011
3:02 AM

Post #8563600

I was just thinking, we haven't been on a carpet ride for a while. We could go and get Anthony away from the cold and,[ maybe some of his lilliums] call in and see how Judy is. Maybe even go and meet Chrissy's brother and wish him well in his recovery. We could even call in to see if Anna has sold yet.Now that Louise is back in fairyland it would be lovely to go there again. Who's driving? Not me, I did it last time, I'm going to sit back and relax. Who's ready for some excitment? Colleen
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

May 15, 2011
3:23 AM

Post #8563609

fly the carpet over here & park it in ChCh for a roller coaster ride...
although I have to say haven't felt any aftershocks for a few days.
we had a wet start to the day today, took Copper to training & kept his coat on while we worked on a few things - he is still not sure about the send away to the jump.
He did get it right a couple of times before I put him to bed in his cage.
He promptly went to sleep while i helped set up for our rally-obedience trial.
Copper was entered in advanced which means no lead or muzzle on him...
when it got to my turn they cleared the ring next to us & made everyone stay back from the ropes...
slightly over kill as he only attacks dogs that get in his face, he is such a mummy's boy that he won't leave my side to seek out a fight.
anyway he did pretty well but I almost made a huge mistake, I have been saying 'ready' when going up to the jump, but I said it as we approached the ropes about to make a turn...
he immediately went to jump the ropes & I was lucky to call him back to heel in time to get the turn in & continue.
I was laughing so much that we just romped through the rest of the course & wound up on 93/100 which amazingly is a qualifying score!

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

May 15, 2011
2:42 PM

Post #8564821

Nev on the bromeliad thread was musing about what would happen in a black out for a month with no cell phone or internet, calculators etc...
how would the young folk cope.
well pop over to ChCh & some of our suburbs can answer that question!
not only no power but no water or sewerage for a month or more...
it led to some very creative thinking & I am sure that Aussies would cope just as well as Kiwis - similar 'can do' mind set & many younger ones recall seeing their 'grandies' making do, reusing & fixing things rather than replacing them.
Funny thing is that now a lot of the younger generation are concerned about the environment & sustainability.
just look at the huge upsurge in container vege gardens.
ChCh is looking at the possibility that some suburbs are on such unstable ground that they will never be economical to rebuild, instead they are thinking that new suburbs will need to be developed - on better land!
what a perfect opportunity to build a model suburb with grey water reclamation, composting toilets, solar power, properly insulated, double glazed homes sited for passive solar gains - and even community gardens for growing fresh veg.
I am not holding my breath, it isn't even building code in this cold climate to build using double glazing!
Ig it had been made mandatory even 10 years ago the power savings would have been significant.
ok - off my hobby horse now, but I suspect most gardeners are concerned about the environment and sustainable living :)

77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 15, 2011
3:18 PM

Post #8564924

Good morning everyone. Hubby says it is a bit warmer this morning but I think he may be still half asleep. It feels just as cold to me.
Had my eggs for brekkie.. I just love that little egg cooker hubby bought for me. I can decide on either poached or boiled . It cooks them while I make the bed.
Congrats on the great score with Copper, Teresa, .
You are right about some people not knowing how to survive a disaster. Wonderful what some can do though. Human ingenuity is boundless when forced to the forefront .
I know most of our generation would manage but it is nice to know many of the younger ones take notice of what the "oldies "talk about.
Colleen, I was thinking a while ago that the carpet needs a run. We can all get away from the cold for a while.
I would love to see Louise at her beautiful house again and spend a bit more time visiting Charleen and the long ears.
When picking up Anthony, he could show us the chocolate factory.
I Think Teresa would like to get out of the bumpety bumps for a while too.
Dianne, are you going to join us ?
Pam and Karen will have to jump on as we swoop down.
We will definitely see Chrissy and her brother.
I must get the carpet out and check its working okay.
Work out who and what you all want to see and we'll leave when you are all ready.
I , of course, will be taking along my empty suitcases, just in case I see a plant or two ( or 3 or 4...)
I will drive on the way over but someone else can drive on the way back.
Tell me when you are all ready so I can get the carpet warmed up.
Have a great day everyone and keep warm.
Try a slice of this Devils Food Cake.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

May 15, 2011
4:27 PM

Post #8565159

Good morning everyone. Well, we've had our first frost here this morning. Funny, but it doesn't seem as cold this morning as it has some other days. I haven't been out to see if there's been any damage. Have to go shopping first and then I get to pay some bills online and then I can relax til 3 o'clock. When I say relax, I mean , just do the normal jobs like housework etc. Can't wait to go for another carpet ride. Shelley will have to be found so that she can bring the wine. I'm sure that Brian and Leisa will be there for the ride as well, but we'll just not know will we? I've got writer's block now so will go and I'll be back later. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

May 15, 2011
4:32 PM

Post #8565170

Sorry about the pic not blowing up. I was trying to find something for Brian and didn't realise that it had been changed. It's a pic of our Mum's Bouginvilla? and everytime I see this coloured one it reminds me of "home" Brian took the pic. Colleen
77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 15, 2011
5:06 PM

Post #8565272

I've sent the carpet out for an exercise flight to shake off the dust and any creepies that may have decided to curl up inside.
I think it may be back in a day or two. Time for us all to get ready.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 15, 2011
5:16 PM

Post #8565308

Nurse is due any minute so while I am waiting ...here is some music to go with our magic carpet ride :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEEzbFxEbB8

Hope it works ok for you if not google Magic Carpet Ride you tube ...off you go ...whooo hoooooo
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

May 15, 2011
5:45 PM

Post #8565396

well after reading all the posts here i was inspired to go outside...
I have sprayed all the weeds & grass coming up in the driveway, weeded part of the garden, trimmed & dead headed a few things - I love my nemesias & especially that they are fine with me attacking them with hedge clippers.
I started to dead head the japanese anemone but ended up pulling loads of it out.
Into the nice sunny space that left me I put sweet pea seeds.
I soaked them while I was working & put them in once I was done.
Not sure if they will germinate, I was given them a couple of years ago & just kept forgetting to plant them.
Can't hurt to try.
I think I need the dwarf variety as the only sunny spots haven't got enough height to let the full size ones grow properly.
I tried them against the fence but it was too shady & cool for them.
Perfect for clematis though - those are really thriving.
pictured is the woodland corner a few weeks ago.
I put some japanese anemone in there last autumn & some has taken, no flowers yet so don't know if it is the white or pink...
hoping for the white, the pink is the one I ripped out today, it is in the worng place but I can't eradicate it - I have given up trying & just enjoy the flowers when they are out then ruthlessly cut it back. Or rip it out so that the next season I have a smaller clump, only takes a couple of years to be huge again.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 15, 2011
9:22 PM

Post #8565862

Count me in...great idea,Colleen.

Building a safe suburb would be a wonderful thing,Teresa...lets hope that they put their ideas into practice.

Hadn't seen the spider for a couple of days, So I checked out her shell..all I could see were a couple of legs way down the back...shook her web and did all the things that usually bring her out...no response...I thought that she had gone to spider heaven...did the same things for the next 2 days..still nothing...then this afternoon, went to see if she was still down in the shell...probably stiff by now...no, there she was, out in the open, twice as big as before, collecting lunch...she probably couldn't get out of the shell, she certainly has grown...might be time for a new house...lol

What is our destination Jean?...or is it a " check up on friends" tour.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 15, 2011
10:32 PM

Post #8565899

Dianne, we should have a visit around all our friends. We can see how they are and admire their gardens.
Get ready everyone because we are coming soon .
As we visit each one , they can jump on for the rest of the trip. Lucky its a virtual tour so noone misses anything.
I think we may start here, quickly skip over to SA and Colleen, grab Dianne in passing, then down to Anthony in Tas..
We may then do a short hop over the antarctic ( not too low in the cold ) then back up to NSW and Qld before zooming over to NZ
From there I leave the itinerary open to any suggestions as to which way we go to USA.
Let me know when you all have those suitcases ready and off we'll go.
Teresa, no bumpety bumps while we visit please.
Jean.
sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

May 15, 2011
10:39 PM

Post #8565906

Thanks Chrissy its now under cover + hung a plastic cover to close at night it will get about 4 hrs sun each day .-----elaine.

Thumbnail by sammut

gardengal
se qld
Australia

May 15, 2011
11:43 PM

Post #8565928

Cough! Splutter! Antarctic???? Ah, um, I think I'm busy for the duration of this trip thanks Jean. Too cold for me! I'll whack on a big pot of soup and you can all call in on the way back to warm up.

Has anyone here grown chokoes successfully? We had a couple of unsuccessful attempts when we were in NSW. Hubby reckons they probably didn't have enough water. Whatever the reason, they simply never came to much. The vine that is supposedly rampant simply sat at a scrawny metre or two and promptly sat.

We're putting up a trellis next week as a screen. I'm thinking we have nothing to lose by having another go at chokoes, so picked up a couple that had begun to shoot at the service station yesterday (they sell vegies as well as petrol, obviously.)

Any tips would be greatly appreciated, although while doing a google search this morning I came accross a listing for a Tasmanian newspaper article that says you must be really stupid if you can't grow choko. That's encouraging! lol

Off to do something constructive after a trip to town. Enjoy your evening all.
Pam

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

May 16, 2011
1:07 AM

Post #8565969

OK I'm ready for this ride!
I do get car sick so I will have to have a front seat or a paper bag.*G*

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 16, 2011
1:54 AM

Post #8565990

Pam, Chokoes thrive on neglect once they are established...so plant , water in, then ignore...

How about we go to the US via the spine of South America..Matchu Pitchu and the Andes
LOL...feeling cold now...

Momentary madness...
I don't really care where we go so long as we go...
I am packed already...lots of those socks, Jean.

Look at this racehorse, isn't she lovely...yes Anthony the girl is too...
The horse Is "The Opera House"...she came 2nd last Saturday.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

May 16, 2011
2:07 AM

Post #8565999

I t looks like we all eager for another flight Jean. I don't mind going over the Antactic, as long as we don't land there. How about we fly over Eygpt this time and see if we can find a couple of oasis' and see what grows there. I am going to need some pond plants that are safe for the duck, so will have to check them out somewhere. Maybe we can go to where Moses was??? and get some of his rushes. Who's bringing what to share for food on the way. I thought I might make some homemade pasties and I'll bring the homemade sauce if that's okay. Sammut are you coming? What about the girls and Nev in the Brom site. I reckon they might like to go exploring for more broms. I'd better tell them to drop in here and see what's going on. Better do that now. Colleen
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

May 16, 2011
2:38 AM

Post #8566004

yes Dianne,the lovely lady is too!,.,.give an old dude like me a heart flutter,.I pruned some of Fays roses yesterday[to the best of my pruning knowledge] in the #*!"#": wind,.,.what a mongrel of a task!!![lazy sloth s.i.l sat inside,watching tv ,reading the paper and eating toasted cheese,until the sun became too bright,so he shut the blinds],.,.sometimes i wonder!!!!!!![ i feel a thunderstorm 'anthony' brewing],.,.,.Im not ready for visitors,''i havnt had my hair done''!!!!!
anybody interested in brilliant liliums,take a look at this:
http://z5suburbangardener.blogspot.com/2010/10/hupla-lilies.html

This message was edited May 16, 2011 4:53 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 16, 2011
3:49 AM

Post #8566054

Hi everyone broken reading glasses ...back tomorrow need new ones. :)
77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 16, 2011
2:53 PM

Post #8567546

Good morning everyone. All getting ready for the carpet ride I see.
Pam, you must come along . Dont forget, being virtual, you will feel no cold, just enjoy the views.
Elaine and Marlene, we'll pick you up on the way north. Colleen, I hope the brom people can find us. I'm sure there will be lots to see if we do go via South America. I can see Sue now with half a tree in her bag.
Those pasties sound yummy too.
Anthony, come along on the ride and leave others to do a bit of work. Cocky will love the trip.
Those lilies are so beautiful. Maybe we'll find some to bring home.
Dianne, thats a beautiful horse.
We can use your suggestion and fly via the Andes but a bit more inland maybe. The jungle appeals more than the dryer coast.
Chrissy, we will call in and see you and your brother on the way.
Its still not too light here. The sun is very lazy these days.
I did manage to repot all my Pacific Coast irises and some fuchsias yesterday. Today I have a small flax to divide.
Better get my suitcases out ready to leave.
I hope Charleen and Louise are ready for a carpet full of people and animals to arrive later.
I think the carpet may be on its way back from the practice and airing out flight. We should be able to leave in the next day or two.
Better see whats in the kitchen for nibbles while I pack food for the trip.
Try some of this yummy Chocolate Meringue Cake.
Happy days
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

May 16, 2011
4:26 PM

Post #8567746

Bag ready-- flag flying so you find my house .
I need a distraction this trip will just do the trick I must be getting old my baby son is 50 years old to morrow dont know where the years have gone .
Its a nother beautiful day sun out so better go out and enjoy it .
Dont know whate the pic is just snaped a few around the yard last week so its pot luck whate comes up.
Every one enjoy your day. -------elaine.

Thumbnail by sammut

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 16, 2011
8:07 PM

Post #8568240

[quote="g_whizz"]anybody interested in brilliant liliums,take a look at this:
http://z5suburbangardener.blogspot.com/2010/10/hupla-lilies.html[/quote]

Anthony, she mentions seeds from a friend in Australia, is that you?...she certainly is a keen gardener...lovely site.

I will make some Pumpkin soup, to keep us warm in the Antarctic...and I have just discovered a new yarn called Snowball...so I will knit really fast and make a scarf for all...only joking of course...I only knit when I am watching tv in the winter, it takes me ages to finish anything..
I have rugs that I started years ago...only do craft when the bug bites and that's not to often...but I love new types of yarn such as Snowball.
I showed it to my mother and she loves it, so I told her that I would knit her a scarf, she knows that she might have a long wait...

This message was edited May 17, 2011 2:10 PM

Thumbnail by Seachanger

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 17, 2011
1:02 AM

Post #8568564

Oh I can't imagine flying around on a carpet in these temps ...brrrr frostbite!
I will be waiting with a pot of soup for everyone ...I can't leave the home these days anyway.
I hope you have a great trip everyone.
I used to knit twenty foot scarves once, because I couldn't remember how to cast off. They would all be waiting for my sister to finish them off.

I hope your baby son has a great birthday tomorrow Elaine, yes I know how you feel ...my grand daughter is 22 in a couple of months, sheesh where did that time fly away to, still see her little face the day she was born.
I hope you and your family have a lovely day planned.

Pam plant the choko in a pot for Winter with a few inches above the medium (tendril end up) and keep it under shelter until frost danger is over. Then plant it out in Spring with a nice lot of aged manure dug into the prepared hole.
They like to climb towards the sun so a bit of shade does not hurt. Old chook runs are ideal.

Anthony how cold is it down there ...a shocker I bet!

Teresa I think you are warmer than we are ...I hope things are settling down a bit for you.
Everyone else I hope you are all staying warm and some of you are about to go on jean's magic carpet so Bonn Voyage, have a great time ...we will await your comments via homing pigeon. ^_^
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

May 17, 2011
1:50 AM

Post #8568582

hello all, I can see you flying over my house now! Can you see me waving at you?

Thumbnail by weed_woman

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

May 17, 2011
2:20 AM

Post #8568589

If you are at Coffs Harbour you will be here at Buderim in no time at all.

See I am ready. Have a warm coat and a brown paper bag.
Got a flask of hot tea to share.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 17, 2011
3:34 AM

Post #8568624

Hey Sue great pic!

Pick me up some glace ginger while you up Marlene's way ...mmmm.

Tell my cous I said hello ...she is the one with the gulf stick batting the cane toads out of her yard.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 17, 2011
2:35 PM

Post #8569767

Good morning everyone. Sue, you are waving at the empty carpet. The naughty thing did a quick whizz around all over the place before coming back from the 'practice' run. I am just taking off now to go get Colleen . Dianne get ready to jump on as we zoom past on the way to Anthony.
It was fine here yesterday and quite a bit warmer than has been although I was not taking my jumper off.
I moved the plants from where I am going to have my salvias . The irises are now out along the road near the gate and the other few plants are in the orchard among the trees. The the irises were some that were growing from odd bits I had left after the big move. of all the main plants. They should look pretty out there later. I can now have a special place for the salvias to grow between the trees and shrubs. Hopefully they will like it and be sheltered from too much wind.
I had better leave out something for those not coming on the carpet.
I am off to load my bags .
Get ready Colleen.
Anthony, have Cocky ready soon.
Charleen and Louise, I dont know when we will arrive . It depends on which way we travel and where we stop.
See you all soon. Try these Brownies.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

May 17, 2011
3:26 PM

Post #8569880

I'm ready Jean. Will just warm the pasties through and get the homemade sauce and grab my empty suitcase for any plants that we see. Good morning everyone. No frost this morning because it's all overcast. A bit too chilly to rain though I think. Went for a lovely drive around the lake with Brian's friend. He's in his eighties. He wanted to show me where there was an Erimophylla? native plant, that Brian planted years ago. I'm going to get a name tag for it so the boys will remember where it is. The boys had a pupil-free day yesterday and really enjoyed the trip around the lake. It's looking so beautiful now, but there's a lot of broken glass in some places. Brian's friend is going to see the council to see if he can get a group together and clean it all up. It's great to see him keeping busy and interested in what's going on around him. He's not really into other plants only natives, but I did say that he should pot a couple of pots up with cactus. He thought that might be a good idea as they won't take too much looking after. I'll have to make sure that I follow it up. Well must go and get the boys ready. See you soon Jean. Are you ready Dianne and Anthony? Off we go for a cyber holiday. Weeeeeeee. Colleen
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

May 17, 2011
3:44 PM

Post #8569913

another sunny day here - I need to mow the grass before gallivanting off on the carpet.

Anthony - those lilies had me drooling but reading down the page the reference to Richard Hyde made me catch my breath...
somewhere out there I have a brother with a different mother...
his name is Richard but I don't know if he uses Hyde as a surname or if he uses his mother's name... or even a stepfather's name if she ever married.
My father was useless at keeping in touch with his children so we have no idea what happened to this brother other than at some stage he was in Aussie & maybe in the Army there.

So when I saw the name I thought... it couldn't be... and I was right. But I did go check.

77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 17, 2011
4:57 PM

Post #8570052

Got you Colleen. Oohhh those pasties are hot. I must put one out to cool a bit . I am feeling quite hungry now. I did bring a thermos too.
Dianne are you there ? We will grab you as we go past .
Get ready Anthony, we will be swooping in soon. Depends on how much luggage Dianne has to load on.
The sun is out and no frost was seen this morning. Hubby said last night , he was sure it would be frosty. A lovely striped pink sky this morning but no rain forecast.
I do like your area Colleen. Just had to take a closer look at a winery near you.
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 17, 2011
6:07 PM

Post #8570304

Only one bag, Jean..
I will be standing next to my nature strip Corymbia...which is gorgeous this time of year...

I had to go on line to find out how to knit that Snowball wool...how silly is that...the salesperson told me that it would be awkward,
she wasn't kidding...
Eremophila, Colleen, the emu bush...lots of them in nurseries now...they are grafted...what colour was Brian's?

See me waving!...Tilly is a bit nervous after last year's episode with Cocky..

Thumbnail by Seachanger

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

May 17, 2011
6:36 PM

Post #8570381

Dianne Brian's friend can't remember all the name of it so ofcourse no colour as yet. He thinks he knows but is not quite sure so he said we'll have to wait for it to flower. I'm pretty sure that this isn't grafted but just for interest sake Brian was the one who first grafted these and as usual someone else took the limelight. Back in those days he wasn't computer literate and didn't know how to go about claiming a new species or to tell the right person about the grafting and ofcourse along comes someone who does and bingo takes all the credit. Them's the breaks. Colleen ps beautiful bush .
77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 17, 2011
9:01 PM

Post #8570754

Got you Dianne. I couldnt miss that lovely bush. Tilly will be okay as I think cocky has learned to be good on trips now. Anthony are you ready ? We will see you tomorrow as I need a good cuppa at Diannes place and Colleen just had to look at plants. Not worth flying at night . We may bump into a UFO or two.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

May 17, 2011
9:32 PM

Post #8570779

Jean...when will you be in my area?

I ready to go!
77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 17, 2011
10:05 PM

Post #8570807

Dont worry Marlene, we will get up your way soon. Have to go to Tassie and then over to NZ first.
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 18, 2011
1:04 AM

Post #8570879

Gosh the Tea Shop is empty.

Ok I will put everything back in the fridge until everyone comes back ...I do hope they remember the Glace Ginger from Bundy.

Wonder what the weather is like up north ...is it Frosty up there yet?

Well I will pop in tomorrow and see if anyone has come in ...don't blame anyone for traveling away from the early Winter.
Wish I could have gone too.
I will bring in a big pot of Chowder tomorrow ...just the thing for this cold weather.
I hope everyone is enjoying their trip.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

May 18, 2011
1:30 AM

Post #8570887

Jean and I are at Dianne's now. What a beautiful garden she has. Little Matilda has her coat packed and waiting to go. Thanks for letting us stay overnight Dianne. Off to pick Anthony up tomorrow and mustn't forget Cocky. If we get an early enough start in the morning I reckon it might be cold enough to slide on the frost right up to Anthony's door. How's that for service? Colleen
splinter1804
shellharbour
Australia

May 18, 2011
12:53 PM

Post #8571950

Hi Girls,

I hope you're having a good time tripping all around the country while a few of us others have to stay at home and look after the plants. I've posted quite a few pic's of bromeliad gardens on our usual site so don't forget to have a look when you come home.

Don't forget to put on your seat belts

All the best, Nev.
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

May 18, 2011
2:13 PM

Post #8572102

Helloooooo. So the magic carpet is out and about again. Would love a visit as you swoop by, but I need to rest and recoup for now. Maybe I can catch the carpet next time and go zooming about with you all. Have fun, all.

Karen'
77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 18, 2011
2:39 PM

Post #8572145

Good morning everyone. Well we are off again after a lovely stay with Dianne.
Anthony, are you and Cocky ready ? We will be there for lunch, as I thought a quick zoom over the ice would wake us all up. Not too low or we'll scare the penguins.
Better lock up your liliums too Anthony. A few pots may try to sneak into suitcases.
Very cold at my house so I'm glad we are here in warmer virtual land.
Thanks for looking in to the Tea Room Chrissy.
Karen, we will wave as we go past. Hope you are feeling a lot better soon.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

May 18, 2011

Post #8572154

cool but fine here, weather predicted to stay that way till Saturday, perfect flying weather :)
sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

May 18, 2011
3:20 PM

Post #8572240

Not the best of mornings still a bit of fog around but the sun is trying to shine I will be in the yard so best to glide in and set down in the drive way Rocky will be watching and let me know when your here .-------elaine.

Thumbnail by sammut

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 18, 2011
3:29 PM

Post #8572251

Ooh my fingers are freezing...hope you liked the crumpets for breakfast, ladies.
I hope that Anthony has been reading these threads and is ready this morning...
I've got my thermal underwear on and a big rug around me..
Jean, I wish you wouldn't go up and down so often, going over Bass strait makes me seasick...

Hope you are feeling better this morning Karen.
To everyone who couldn't come with us, what would you like us to bring back?
We are going via South America, so ponchos, alpacas, Mexican hats whatever you fancy.
Not so many on this trip so there is plenty of room.
Jean, not so fast...

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

May 18, 2011
3:35 PM

Post #8572267

I have been baking all morning. Getting thing ready when you all fly into Buderim.
Beautiful day here today so all is looking good.
Jean ...do you think you will have time for a swim at the beach?

Best get back to the prawns I am preparing for you all.

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

May 18, 2011
3:39 PM

Post #8572273

Just popped down to the beach for a photograph.

Thumbnail by Marleneann

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

May 18, 2011
3:40 PM

Post #8572278

Isn't this wonderful. I had a lovely sleep-over thanks Dianne. Crumpets were lovely too. I wrapped one up and put it in my pocket for later. I bet Anthony has slept in. Never mind that will give us a chance to look around a bit and see what lilliums you can get Jean and Dianne. Sorry to here you're still not very well Karen. Hope you're feeling better soon. I think Jean said that we're going to NZ next. I hope we get to look around a bit over there. Dalfyre will know the best places to see. I'm going for the big morning tea at the Uniting church hall and then to the school for another morning tea. The morning will be gone before I know. Must move and get the boys ready for school. Be back later. It was lovely to see you pop in Nev. Did you find the tea and coffee? Colleen
77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 18, 2011
3:47 PM

Post #8572301

Anthony, I hope you are waiting with a nice hot cuppa for us . The penguins were so funny to watch but the ladies felt cold so we didnt stay long at Antarctica. Saw this fellow trying to join us as we turned around. If Anthony is not watching for us we may have to land on his roof. We dont want to squish any pots of bulbs.
I really dont know how Dianne is going to get on carrying around all her longjohns etc when we get back to the warmer climes.
I can see them sailing off into the blue as we cross the ocean again. lol.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

May 18, 2011
8:22 PM

Post #8572929

the billy's always warm,.,.sorry,ive been working away,im catching up on ,mail'''catalogues'''-yahooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!,e-mails,lily bulb packages and of course,''the dreaded potting up'' to do,.,.i just filled the ute with ''premium''-potting mix,and i'm about to strike the 1st blow,.,.,.,.,.,.its not all that cold here,.,i did say on monday night,but my post''''kapoofed''''',.,.,.,..,,.,.,.NEW LILYS!!!!!!!!!!!!NEW LILYS!!!!''!100'S of bulbs!!!!!!-im excited
77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 18, 2011
9:41 PM

Post #8573042

Hello Anthony. I hope you have room for us. We can stay overnight and leave tomorrow. Maybe we can help with all the potting so you can get away on our carpet trip.
Sounds like you are in bulb heaven.
Glad to be leaving all that ice behind. Made me cold just looking at the miles of it .
Landing in your drive soon.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 18, 2011
10:30 PM

Post #8573082

Don't forget to call in at the winery just over the hill there is a table booked for you all.

http://www.vicaryswinery.com.au/winery.html
Here it is ...

Thumbnail by chrissy100

77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 18, 2011
11:01 PM

Post #8573102

Thank you Chrissy. We may never get away from there for days. It does look lovely.
Ah , but I dont drink wine, so I can shoo everyone out early . We need our strength to help Anthony with all those lilies.
Cant have ladies with ill effects or they may fall off the carpet.
I bet Brians watching us as the ladies scoff the wine.
Oooohhh , I see champagne.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

May 18, 2011
11:50 PM

Post #8573130

You won't be waiting for me Jean. I can't stand the smell of wine, but yes I bet Brian's there ready to tell everyone which one is good. It will be lovely to spend the night at Anthony's. What for tes, Anthony? One of your big cook ups I hope. Colleen
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

May 19, 2011
1:10 AM

Post #8573151

chicken parmegana,boiled green leaf vegs, w/diced mushroom and 3 shades of capsicum, w/halved dutch creams,.,.not good enough??-MONA-is only walking distance away!!!!but i think a seat starts at around $100,.,.Granada tavern,just across the hwy,meals from $14,.,.,.,plenty of 4xxxx in my fridge,a bright log fire,and i reckon anthony will be in bed by 8.30,.,.,.if you can handle the snoring!!!,.36 pots of lilies,and 2 huge baby barrels potted up today,.,.exhausted,.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

May 19, 2011
1:20 AM

Post #8573154

Wow Anthony that sounds wonderful. I'll just have a coffee please. I bet you won't compete with my snopring. We could have a "snore-off" That'd give Jean and Dianne something to write home about. lol. Colleen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 19, 2011
5:57 AM

Post #8573368

Sleep tight everyone where ever you are by now ...it's been a long day, hope you are all having fun

═╬╬═♥╬╬♥═╬╬═ May
. .̆ (’). . (♥). . .(’) . . (♥)
...'\ĺ/´. .\ĺ⁄´' .\ĺ⁄´'. .\ĺ⁄ don't leave your gardens alone for too long, they will miss you. :)
gardengal
se qld
Australia

May 19, 2011
12:55 PM

Post #8574137

Chrissy, that's too cute! lol

I hope you're not all getting too cold up there at 10 000 feet.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 19, 2011
2:31 PM

Post #8574287

Good morning everyone. After a lovely feed at Anthonys place, we are all bright eyed and ready to go. I seem to recall hearing thunder in the night, but maybe that was Anthony and Colleen snoring. Maybe it was Tilly. lol
We gave the wine a miss and enjoyed a lovely cuppa instead while browsing around Anthonys liliums.
We are off today to pick up Teresa , if shes ready. I hope we dont get any of the shaking while we land. The carpet may get frightened and take off again.
Teresa, are you ready for us ?
Yesterday was fine in my garden and a bit of tidying was done. Marvellous what elves can do if you leave them in charge of your gardens.
I hope the Tea Room is being opened. I'm sure Chrissy will welcome any visitors there.
Marlene and Elaine. We will see you soon. Then on to Sue and Pam if they are coming with us. I cannot see Sue missing out on seeing the broms in South America.
Anthony is Cocky ready ? We are going via the ruins of Port Arthur .
We should get to NZ for tea.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 19, 2011
10:36 PM

Post #8575101

I fell in love with Port Arthur's beautiful sandstone buildings and lovely surrounds, the first time that I saw it...in spite of it's dark history and the tragedy of a few years back...I will be happy to revisit even overhead...

Anthony the chicken was lovely, but I didn't see your Galah around anywhere...lol
Make sure that you explain to cocky that he is not to bite Tilly's fluffy tail...last year he had plucked all the fur out.
After, Jean Colleen and I helped you with your potting it was very kind of you to bring out that special box of Cadbury Chocolates.
It was so big, we will be able to share it with everyone on the carpet.

Hey Teresa, we are not far away now..

Thumbnail by Seachanger

77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 19, 2011
11:07 PM

Post #8575109

Teresa, we will see you soon. Did everyone see the whales as we flew over ? The sun has been shining all day on my garden so the elves tell me. They planted all my little salvias.
I am hoping Teresa has a nice warm place after the cold of the antarctic and Tassie.
Anthony did have a lovely fire though.. We enjoyed seeing all his plants.
Whats for tea Teresa. We will stay the night but I hope the snoring from certain people doesnt keep you awake. Is Copper ready to travel. ?
See you soon. I am enjoying all these lovely chocolates from Tassie. Anthony was very generous giving them to us.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

May 19, 2011
11:48 PM

Post #8575117

My goodness it's taken me all day getting over the meal from last night. Anthony you were a wonderful host. I noticed that Dianne's bag now has a few lilliums, maybe a little bulge in Jean's bag as well. I'm saving mine for the broms and any brugs that I see. Especially if we go near the Andes. I'm sure that a few cold group brugs will find their way home. Wouldn't that be something? Yes, Jean I saw the whales, Hump-backed whales weren't they? Did you see that little baby one along side? While I'm away I think my gnomes are repotting some more brugs. They're all coming out of the SH into the garden on saucers. I'm hoping the frosts don't come into the back yard. The brugs that have dug their heels in in the SH will have to stay until they get pruned and then I will shift them into the front garden. Ecuador Pink, Sugar Pink, Suavelons, OSA. I can please myself where the others go. I may even leave them in pots yet. Brian's will all have to be cut back and hopefully they bush up a bit, they're very spindly. We'll be at Teresa's soon, so had better get off here. Anna are you coming? We will be able to pick you up when we get Sammut. Colleen
gardengal
se qld
Australia

May 20, 2011
12:10 AM

Post #8575121

I'm just wondering how you're all planning on drawing lots to see who gets thrown off to make room for more plants? I think I'll just keep my feet firmly planted on the ground for this trip thanks, I've seen the lengths that some can go to for plant lust. Although I'm sure none of of here are quite that extreme (she says, still a little unsure) lol

Tshirt weather here again for the past few days. Lots of wattles either starting to flower or seriously thinking about it.

Pam

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

May 20, 2011
12:52 AM

Post #8575124

Pam. there's plenty of saddle-bags to hang off the back. It's just a matter whether Jean can get us back into the air. Colleen
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

May 20, 2011
2:05 AM

Post #8575140

dianne,funny you say thatcocky grabbed'alwyns' tail the other night,..,not severely,more to say''im the boss'',.,.and the 2 galahs are here,i just fed them and got a kiss from her!,.,.my lower spine is a volcano tonight,so ive taken 2 pain eliminators,..,i received an invitation today, to a 25th re-union of 'legends of speedway''- apparently i am one,.,.thats probably why my back is so bad,..,,.,''.oh to re-live the younger years''-id do it all the same again!!!!!more lilium bulb purchases today,''''''help me'''''-im running out of room,.,.beautiful orienpets and sweet pink asiatics.,.how could i resist?,.,..,,.i do hope theresa has a ''hungi'' on the go in the backyard,-shes gone quiet,..,we might have to cruise down to the rsl for a quiet ale>>>
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

May 20, 2011
2:41 AM

Post #8575149

Did you see the sky as we were coming over NZ. [not really that was here tonight] Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

May 20, 2011
2:07 PM

Post #8576120

Good morning to all yesterday while sitting out in the sun I remembered seeing a totem snake around a pole with broms growing on it so tried and here is my little hanger .

Jean heavy fog this morning so flying into Sydney later to day when it clears sould be a dream flight.-----elaine.

Thumbnail by sammut

gardengal
se qld
Australia

May 20, 2011
2:21 PM

Post #8576140

Aww Elaine, my Granny had those same chairs in her lounge room - different covers of course. Bless her heart! Isn't it funny how tiny things can bring back memories?!

I love your totem idea. It gives me some ideas of my own ... one could do the same thing you've done there, but with a pvc pipe in the middle, big enough to slide over your gal pipe. If you had a few of them you could change them, around mix and match to your heart's content.

Pam
77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 20, 2011
2:32 PM

Post #8576151

Good morning everyone. Lovely weather at my place yesterday, so the elves tell me. All my salvia plants are in the ground. I was going to wait until spring but as they are in peat pots, I thought they would do well over winter. I will much well later and put a few fern fronds over the smallest.
Those whales were huge. I also saw some dolphins playing not far from the whales.
Colleen, lucky we have gnomes and elves to do our work while we are away.
Anthony, you can lay back and relax at the back of the carpet. It has a nice bit of space there where you can rest your head.
I think you may need a larger garden , too , with all those new bulbs. We all know that feeling, when there are just those one or two more plants etc. we absolutely must have.
Elaine , we may be a bit later picking up our NSW flyers as we must visit places in NZ while we are there.
I hope Copper gets along with all the other pets with us.
Colleen and Pam, dont worry about space. This is a virtual carpet that can do anything.
I wouldnt dream of áccidently' tossing anyone off. ( that is , unless I had to make a tiny bit of room for some plant that I really must have) lol.
Teresa, are you there or do we need to come to the RSL and find you ?
We could do that and have a nice lunch there.
Okay ladies and Anthony, hang on, we are coming in to Teresas driveway.
I definitely want to see a kiwi and some hot springs while we are in NZ.
I'm sure Teresa has other places to show us too.
I hope the elves are looking after the Tea Room.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

May 20, 2011

Post #8576152

sorry guys I am working nights at the RSA this week...
anyway I suggest a low level fly over of ChCh to see what the earthquake has done to the place...

Thumbnail by dalfyre

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

May 20, 2011
2:43 PM

Post #8576160

I suggest we fly up to Mt Lyford Lodge for a visit, it is where Baz & I spent our honey moon...

Thumbnail by dalfyre

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

May 20, 2011
2:44 PM

Post #8576165

they have the best open fire... enough room for all of us.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

May 20, 2011
2:45 PM

Post #8576166

if you want to see more -
http://www.mtlyfordlodge.co.nz/
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

May 20, 2011
2:50 PM

Post #8576177

it is just a quick carpet hop to visit Kaikoura for a feed of crayfish & to visit the seal colony...
http://www.rankers.co.nz/experiences/3948-Ohau_Point_Seal_Colony_Off_SH1_Nth_of_Kaikoura
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

May 20, 2011
2:52 PM

Post #8576182

then fly to Hanmer Springs to soak in the hot pools

http://www.hanmersprings.co.nz/

Thumbnail by dalfyre

sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

May 20, 2011
2:54 PM

Post #8576185

Hi Pam the snake totem have a idea it was made with fishing net was on here but for the life of me I cannot find it again funny you say about PVC thate was whate I was trying to think a way to use 4 off cuts my son gave me when I remembered the snake .
My chairs were a pick up found one morning made the covers from curtain material thate has the rubber backing its great to use in the yard water just runs of . have a great week end. elaine.

Thumbnail by sammut

77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 20, 2011
3:44 PM

Post #8576261

Beautiful Teresa.
I vote for Kaikoura for lunch and a feed of seafood. We can watch the seals then. I hope Copper and Tilly are going to be well behaved . I did see them eyeing the seagulls earlier.
A soak in the hot springs will do wonders for your aches Anthony.
As Teresa is working nights, we can stay overnight at the lovely Mt Lyford lodge. .
I think we can fit all that in . I am going to do a fast fly over a lovely waterfall I saw on the way here.
hang on , then we'll be off for lunch.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

gardengal
se qld
Australia

May 20, 2011
5:27 PM

Post #8576443

[quote="dalfyre"]sorry guys I am working nights at the RSA this week...
anyway I suggest a low level fly over of ChCh to see what the earthquake has done to the place...
[/quote]

Teresa, is that recent photo? Still with piles of rubble everywhere? My gosh! Maybe while you girls are zooming by on your carpet you can stop and lend a hand?
That must be so discouraging for the people of ChCh. It's amazing how once a story isn't news any more it just vanishes from the minds of most people. Even Japan with all the devastation there barely gets a mention, but Gordon Nuttall is a different story ... for this week.

gardengal
se qld
Australia

May 20, 2011
5:30 PM

Post #8576451

[quote="sammut"] Hi Pam the snake totem have a idea it was made with fishing net was on here but for the life of me I cannot find it again
.[/quote]

It's probably in one of the bromeliad threads, Elaine. I'll see if I can track it down for you later, unless someone beats me to it.

Pam

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 20, 2011
5:38 PM

Post #8576479

I have to see a Kakapo, Teresa, ever since the Doco, I saw...love them and their funny ways...we will have to fly over their island.

Jean, Tilly isn't a bird chaser, she is so used to the doves in our garden...but I can't guarantee she will leave the seafood alone.
Those hot springs sound great...do we need pegs for our noses?
We should certainly stay overnight at the lodge, look at that gorgeous fireplace...

Colleen, that's a great pic of the cloud...you are getting used to your camera pretty quickly..

Commiserations, Anthony...it could have gone either way...they will both be in finals...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

May 20, 2011
5:53 PM

Post #8576529

Pam I found it pleased to say I did a good job on mine now have to work on doing longer ones.
-----elaine.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 20, 2011
11:12 PM

Post #8576946

Dont know about everybody else, but I am so full after that huge seafood lunch and a good soak in the hot springs. Anthony are you still soaking ?
Havent seen the others since we all sat in that lovely hot water. Maybe they are all still there.
I'm off to sit near the lovely fire in our very nice lodge.
See you all in the morning. I may get up early , then again I may just lie in while I can.
The seals were great to watch earlier today, too.
All pets behaving superbly.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

May 20, 2011
11:57 PM

Post #8576964

Jean, I haven't gone to the hot springs yet. I'm still scoffing seafood. Yummo. It was a good choice to stay at the lodge. It's beautiful. Those gnomes have been busy outside in the garden again. Some more bulbs planted out the front. I thought that I might put some of my hippies out there amongst the brugs too. They should look nice in contrast. So far I have naked ladies, irises, winter gladdies, watsonia, pink I think, jonquils, clivias, crinums, and a few bulbs I don't know til they flower. They are all poked in amongst the shrubs and pampas and brugs, a few roses down that end a yellow broom a budliah a flowering pomegranate a large bottle brush and some ollies. Must go and get some tea. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

May 21, 2011
1:24 AM

Post #8577000

I'll just prod myself with a skewer and see if im cooked!!!!!!!!

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

May 21, 2011
2:21 AM

Post #8577008

Good evening everyone!

Getting a visit from my sister-in-law from Geelong. I have been cleaning windows, baking and all the things one does when relations or friends visit.
I still haven't got rid of this cough that I have had for three weeks.
Raining here again today.

Just marking time until Jean and the gang fly in.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 21, 2011
5:47 AM

Post #8577157

Me too Marlene ...hope you feel better soon.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 21, 2011

Post #8577949

Good morning everyone. The elves tell me there was a light sprinkle of rain at my place and it was windy through the night.
The dear little fellows went out yesterday and gathered a large armful of bracken fronds . The fronds are now sheltering all my small salvias in case of frost.
Anthony, I hope you were not too overdone . We dont want a boiled Anthony. I hope you didnt take Cocky in with you.
Colleen, that was some of the nicest seafood wasnt it ?
I wonder where Dianne went ? She wasnt in the hot springs when I was there.
I did manage to get out in the night and see a kiwi.
It has been lovely seeing parts of NZ and calling in on Teresa.
We should fly off soon and pick up those wanting to come on the rest of the trip. I know Marlene and Elaine are waiting. Not sure who else is coming but they can all jump on as we go.
I had better go find everyone so we can make a start. We can call in to see Chrissy and maybe she will put us onto a great place to have lunch.
Havent heard from Charleen or Louise, so they will get a surprise when we arrive later during the week.
Here we go.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

May 21, 2011
3:26 PM

Post #8578022

Please, please don't forget to drop down here for a rendez-vous at the farm! We have been working very hard to get the place ready for you all. We went to a lovely daylily farm today and Hank picked out two and I settled for four pretties. They'll be in the ground by the time the carpet makes it here. The girls are just jumping out of their fur to meet you all as well. Watch out for the strange weather, and of course...the end of the world tonight.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 21, 2011
3:48 PM

Post #8578057

Thanks Louise. We will see you soon. We are coming the long way round via south America. We want to look at the bromeliads in the jungle and also some of the old Inca ruins.
I hope all those coming with us are ready as we are nearly over them. We want a nice place for lunch and a few tours around the different areas. We will stay overnight some where. I am sure one of the ladies will know of a lovely place.
I finally found Dianne, so we didnt leave her behind. She was looking at some lovely gardens. I didnt check her bag, so I dont know what she "borrowed" .
Looking forward to seeing those beautiful girls Louise and we have a bag of cookies for the longears, Charleen.
We flew over this part of NZ on the way over. Not where I would like to land the carpet . We are looking for warm now. Had enough ice and cold down south.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 21, 2011
4:25 PM

Post #8578114

While I sit on this carpet, flying over the beautiful South American coast, I am trying to work out if the person who predicted the end of the world, meant the end of the universe as well...because it will be very interesting if all of a sudden there is nothing underneath us...scary...lol

Hi Louise and Charleen, we will soon be there...I have brought some Timtams for you to try...yummy choc biscuits.

Back in reality, it's warm here today, about 20c...a few Brug buds left, they may open now.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 21, 2011
4:37 PM

Post #8578137

Dianne, come back with the carpet. Didnt you notice it was a bit empty ?
We are all stopping for lunch here in NSW , so we can pick up anyone who is coming with us.
I want to visit Chrissy and see all her brugs. . Elaine and Marlene are joining us too.
Not sure about anyone else, but there is always lots of room on the carpet.
I know you want to see the bromeliads over there, but wait for us.
Bad carpet. Should not have taken off without us.

Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 21, 2011
4:55 PM

Post #8578157

*•°*”˜˜”*°•.ƸӜƷ❥❥❥ see you a bit later then ...loved seeing you Jean and everyone*•°*”˜˜”*°•.ƸӜƷ❥❥❥

I am off to enjoy some gardening in the lovely sun shine
═╬╬═♥╬╬♥═╬╬══╬╬═♥╬╬♥═╬╬═
...'\ĺ/´. .\ĺ⁄´' .\ĺ⁄´'. .\ĺ⁄
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

May 21, 2011
5:03 PM

Post #8578168

Hello all. The magic carpet ride sounds wonderful. Hope you are all really enjoying it.

I had an accident with my zygocactus, and a few pots got splattered, leaving broken branches and loose tags everywhere. Trying to put the names to the flowers as they open. Can anyone tell me if this orange flower is Christmas Cheer or Sanibel, please? Going by the pics I am thinking it might be Christmas Cheer, as Sanibel looks paler in colour, and this flower is a lovely orange. Hope someone can help. Thanks.

Enjoy you trip.

Karen
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

May 21, 2011
5:04 PM

Post #8578169

Awww, forgot the pic.

Christmas Cheer, or Sanibel?

Thumbnail by DawnSong

77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 21, 2011
5:49 PM

Post #8578241

A bit hard to pick yet, Karen. Show another pic when fully open.
My two of these havent flowered as yet but the pics I keep for ID show that Sanibel has a mauveish tint, while Christmas Cheer looks a bit lighter .
You can look on the internet and see so many variations in flower shading, it gets confusing.
Bad luck with the accident. Nothing worse than labels getting mixed.
Jean.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

May 21, 2011
8:00 PM

Post #8578478

have you got a rope to tie me on to the carpet...
I may fall asleep & would hate to roll off the edge during a nana nap.
Copper is taking one now, he looks adorable with his head resting on the tri pillow Baz uses to support his back on the couch.
So why am I do tired you ask?
My shift last night was a little longer than usual - started at 4pm & didn't get away till 1.45am!!!
We had a 50th birthday party & they had a blast - a 60's/70's theme & all dressed appropriately.
We even had one Austin Powers in attendance.
The dj was very good & played music from those decades, it was one of those parties that are great fun to work, happy, well behaved guests always make my life easier.
By the time I got home & had a bite to eat it was nearly 3am before I hit the hay.
And I was up this morning at 8am to see to the dog & get ready for dog club.
Just started a new course with over a dozen enrolled... never thought to do a head count.
Darling hubby made a yummy lunch - kind of a french toastie...
you do the bread in egg but put two slices together with cheese & spaghetti as the filling then either use a toastie maker or the fry pan to toast the bred.
I can hardly keep my eyes open now.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

May 22, 2011
2:01 AM

Post #8578794

the rains a'comin,..,very gusyt winds this arvo,i moved some of the podding lily blooms into the garage,..,i cleaned the galah cages out and added new gum perches,'from my last trip to the highland lakes',.,.and hosed the garage out'top to bottom',.The house next door has sold'''''YAHOO''''-to someone that is going to live in it,.,.over the last 10 years it has been rented to various humanoid versions of dirty filthy, smoking,fast food,stealing,,loud gay synthesised music,braindead ,scums,..,[what a mouthfull]-time to celebrate with a quiet 4xxxx or 2,.,.have a good sleep everyone

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 22, 2011
3:32 AM

Post #8578836

Cheers Anthony and Teresa great to hear happy talk ...it's so quiet in the tea room.
Nice to know the holiday makers are having a big adventure and loving it.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 22, 2011
2:46 PM

Post #8580067

Good morning everyone. Where are you all ? I see Anthony and could hear him during the night , even though he was a whole room away in the lovely place we all stayed at.
I was a bit late getting up today, so it looks like everyone has gone off visiting without me. . I will have a quick look around and then we have to fly off , pick up all our passengers and set off to South America.
It is going to be along flight over the ocean, so I hope you all hang on tight.
My elves tell me that it sprinkled rain all day yesterday at home and looks like being the same today.
No jobs will get done outside .
I hope the elves are opening the Tea Room and not getting up to mischief.
Chrissy, I love your garden and I was very good in not taking a single piece. I thought maybe on the way back.
Elaine , your mosaics are so colorful. I love them all.
Aahh . I hear voices. Everyone is getting ready for takeoff hopefully.
I hope they all have lots of food as there are no stops in the ocean for food.
South America, here we come.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

May 22, 2011
3:09 PM

Post #8580112

Thanks Chrissy for your hospitality. It was lovely to meet your brother and have a look at your brugs. I'll know where to come when I want a ride in a real car. Marlene and Elaine were up bright and early and very eager to get going. Sth America. I might even see some cactus to bring home. We had a beaut of a thunder storm go through here Friday night. Wow was the thunder loud. Nice bit of rain too. Much appreciated. Didn't do too much outside yesterday, a cold wind coming from the north and then swung around and was coming from the sth west by night. Brrrr. I did bring some more more brugs out of the SH. Some are starting to get yellow leaves but most are still nice and green and growing. The Sanguineas are stating to get lots of leaves and are nice and green. Brian's is a lot bigger than mine so hopefully I will get flowers on both this year. I have an Aborea plant so maybe I'll get a flower to pollinate with. If not maybe someone else might send some pollen so I can have another go at pollinating. Last years was a fizzer wasn't it? Never mind at least I know what to look out for now. I hope everyone is well and off we go to explore Sth America. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 23, 2011
12:35 AM

Post #8581013

Sorry Jean, in my enthusiasm...I took off toward the Sth American coast...nice to visit our friends up north before we go...
Thanks for the hospitality.

It's been raining here and very cold and windy...

Just saw the news and it looks as though our American friends are copping it again...Dreadful twisters in Missouri...30 dead.
Our thoughts are with those poor people affected by these tornados.

Keep warm...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 23, 2011
12:55 AM

Post #8581039

Yes once again ...our thoughts are with our American friends. :( and still remembering Japan and our mates in NZ.

My Grand Daughter is about to go from Germany to Italy by plane ...and what with the awful weather and now the volcano messing with plane safety I am worried, the World is in such turmoil this year I just want it to quickly pass so we can have a fresh start and see more settled times.
Big winds here too. stay safe on that carpet, don't get blown off, see you all when you get back.:)
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

May 23, 2011
1:22 AM

Post #8581061

jean i was making a noise on e-bay last night,thats what you would have heard,.,.after 1 too many 4xxxx's, i ended up buying a strange looking 'pretzel hat',.,.it wont fit my fat head!!!,maybe it will fit cockys?

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 23, 2011
1:37 AM

Post #8581072

Ha ha ha Anthony that's funny :)
♥♪๑۩۞۩๑♥
77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 23, 2011

Post #8582542

Good morning everyone.
Anthony, I think you should wear that hat with your string bikini. A real fashion "statement". Fancy anyone wearing such a monstrosity.
If anyone doesnt like the sea, dont look down as there is a lot of ocean down there. I seem to recall that this part of the Earth was where Jurassic Park was situated.. Hmmmmm. Keep an eye on any islands you see. We dont want to land among dinosaurs . lol.
Did anyone do a head count when we left Australia ? I cant see way down the back of the carpet . Is everyone here ?
It seems awfully quiet for so many people. Copper is there, I can see his spots. Havent seen Tilly .
My elves tell me they did a big clean up yesterday while it was reasonably dry , until light showers started in late afternoon. The large buddlea is cut back along with some of the larger salvias. A very large and 'past its prime, ' hebe is also gone. I have a nice Royal Red buddlea to replace the hebe..
I think we may make it to South America for lunch. Where will we go first ? I do fancy a nice feed of fruit. Maybe if we are careful, we can land in the jungle and pick our own.
Is that land I see down there ? A bit soon for the coast of Sth America. I'll just swoop down for a quick look.
Heeeyyyyy, did everyone see that island ? I'm sure I saw something large walking around.
Better keep flying , we need to eat lunch, not be lunch.
Hang on , putting the carpet into top gear.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 23, 2011
3:58 PM

Post #8582682

Jean, no wonder you haven't seen Tilly, just the thought of sitting next to Anthony while he's wearing a string bikini and that very expensive hat, sent her scarpering...

Did everyone see Barack Obama's car stick on the speed hump...very funny...they should have shown it getting pushed off.
Now everyone knows that if you want to stop the president's bullet proof car, all you need is a speed hump...bet it is modified as soon as they get back.

What devastation in Joplin and surrounds...
2011...a very bad year.

This message was edited May 24, 2011 5:41 PM
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

May 23, 2011
5:58 PM

Post #8582918

Seems the news is always full of disasters these days. That tornado must have been horrific. Can't imagine being in something like that. But to lose almost the whole town - more people's lives uprooted.

My zygocactus have been through a bit with the rains and the storm. But here is Gold Charm having survived a storm and drenching last night.

Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 23, 2011
6:11 PM

Post #8582954

I want this year to disappear ...it's been too cruel.
Love and sympathy to all affected by nature's trials and tribulations,
The news is too heavy this morning :(

Back when I am not a misery bunny.
have fun on the carpet.
gardengal
se qld
Australia

May 23, 2011
6:21 PM

Post #8582986

Happy Tuesday all. For those who are interested, and have a Reject Shop nearby, I was wandering past the local store here yesterday and noticed that they had the walk-in greenhouses reduced to just $35. They were previously $70, and I'm not sure that wasn't already a markdown.

Pam
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

May 23, 2011
11:15 PM

Post #8583559

Copper i8s being very good, he likes to curl up & sleep as long as he is close to his 'mum'...
and if I'm not there then one of the household males will do.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

May 23, 2011
11:52 PM

Post #8583575

Copper is being very good, he likes to curl up & sleep as long as he is close to his 'mum'...
and if I'm not there then one of the household males will do.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 24, 2011
12:08 AM

Post #8583581

Lovely pic Teresa,...he looks very comfy..

Jean, your Chrysanths are very pretty, they are all out now...

Just saw a white Kiwi on the news, what a pretty thing...hope it's ok.

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

May 24, 2011
12:24 AM

Post #8583588

Hello everyone...
Still not feeling the best and I have Fred's sister arriving for a stay on Saturday.
Draging myself around to try and do a bit of cleaning about the house.

Chrissy...I am feeling a bit like you today. I guess we will bounce back in the near future.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 24, 2011
12:30 AM

Post #8583590

Well something to smile about everyone awe it's so cute !
here is your White Kiwi baby ...adorable
http://www.theage.com.au/environment/animals/rare-white-kiwi-chick-hatched-20110524-1f1qb.html
gotta smile when you see it :)

Yes time to try and pull ourselves back up ...on the count of three SMILE :))))

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 24, 2011
12:33 AM

Post #8583591

Oih Jean you lot on the carpet haven't been down NZ way with some white paint have you?
just asking ...
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

May 24, 2011
1:04 AM

Post #8583609

BRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!-very icy change here,,..,when i was putting cocky to bed,snow was settling on the mountain,.,.brought in 4 xtra logs for tonight,.,.i've had some tango lilies bloom,and pushing another for the garden club meet tomorrow night,.,.that will be cold too!!!

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 24, 2011

Post #8583622

Anthony we have just been told that cold wind of yours is heading our way along with icy rain ...they reckon the trees may come down here ...sigh ...Extreme Weather heading our way, stay warm hopefully we will still be here tomorrow ...cheers!

Hope you feel better soon Marlene ...

Pam the dear little thing would blow away here ...whole sheds and even an outdoor dunnie blew past us in a huge windstorm just a few years ago ...the Wind off the mountains is a shocker !!!
So ummm a bit nervous with winds.

Hurry back everyone it may be a little dangerous on that carpet.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

May 24, 2011
3:05 AM

Post #8583646

I saw that white kiwi on the news, he is adorable.
speaking of which, I found this curled up on my pillow night before last...
evil in a cute little furry package.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 24, 2011
2:47 PM

Post #8584831

Good morning everyone. I'm glad I'm on the carpet out of all the bad weather. I think we should be nearly to New Hampshire to visit Louise. After flying over some of that jungle in South America, I was very glad to see the more open areas coming up past Panama.
Charleen wasnt home when we popped in but I did leave that large bag of cookies on her veranda for Charley and the other long ears. Her garden is very pretty.
I havent seen some of the ladies since we left that huge bromeliad farm in Sth America. I have a feeling they took the spare carpet and flew home with lots of boxes full of broms.
There is a box down the back of the carpet that looks like it is also full of broms. I suspect it belongs to Colleen and Dianne.
I did manage to get a few tillandsias to take home.
Louise are you home ? We will be there soon.
I am thankful we saw no bad weather on the way.
I do feel for all those who have been caught up in the wild weather everywhere.
Copper does look relaxed Teresa. He has been perfectly behaved on the trip.
Cocky has been too, but I must say he can be a bit cheeky.
The elves tell me that nothing was done yesterday due to lots of showers.
That is a very cute Kiwi. Looks like he has been out in the snow.
Better get moving as I need a cuppa so I hope Louise has the kettle on.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

May 24, 2011
3:25 PM

Post #8584890

I'm still here Jean. That's my box of broms and I've been sitting back here quietly having a look at what I got. Cooper and Tilly and cocky are back here too. Don't know where the rest are. I'm sure they'll come back soon. We've had a bit of rain here and it's freezing cold. The wind is veeeerrryy lazy. I did some sewing yesterday. Some trackies for the boys. Just the pants as they have heaps of tops. It doesn't matter if they don't quite match for around home. Now that the boys have their own rooms , I've set my sewing up in the corner of my bedroom near the window. Just as well I have a bigger room. One thing I would love to have is a laundry room so that I could leave the ironing board up and push the laundry basket in there, but alas, I only have a small laundry and I've had to put my large up-right freezer in there as there's not enough room in the kitchen. Well Jean I do hope Louise has the kettle on. I'm really looking forward to visiting her paradise again and going for a walk in the woods again. Hope there's no bears around this time. Must go. Will be back later. Hope everyone is well. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 24, 2011
3:46 PM

Post #8584930

Just saw Sydney's weather...ooh the wind and rain...it looks freezing...

You all should have come on the carpet with us...it's warm in wherever we are at the moment...
Jean, that bag only contains Colleen's Broms...I've only come to look.
Hello Louise, hope you're at home...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 24, 2011
8:42 PM

Post #8585571

I pinched it off FB because it is so appropriate at this time ...
❤¸.•*""*•PRAYER WAVE¸❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤ ❤¸ Going out to people who have been affected by the tornadoes. If you believe in prayer please say one for all the families who lost loved ones and for the survivors who will be trying to put their lives back together among all the devastation...Keep them all in your prayers and thoughts ..•*""*•.¸❤ ❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤ ❤¸.•*""*

May I just add that these waves of love and prayers hopefully will make their way around the World to all who are surviving on this tumultuous globe of ours ...seems most places have suffered and are still suffering
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

May 25, 2011
1:13 AM

Post #8585795

nightmare year for natural disasters...
I cannot remember so many countries being hit by so much devastation in such a short space of time.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 25, 2011

Post #8586948

Good morning everyone. My elves tell me it is cold but not raining today, so should be a good shopping day.
I havent seen Louise. I wonder if she is ready for the carpet to land in her yard. I am looking forward to seeing those darling girls again. A walk through the forest will be nice too.
I think I may just relax in one of those lovely chairs with a nice cuppa.
The pets will all appreciate a time off the carpet to stretch their legs and wings.
Anthony, you may find some more bulbs.
Colleen and Dianne will , I am sure, find lots of palnts too.
I'm sure we all believe Dianne when she says she is just looking and not getting any plants... Hmmmmmm. I wonder what she has in that extra large handbag ????
Louise are you around ???
I had better be off and send instructions to the elves together with a shopping list. Cant send hubby to do the shopping , even with a list. Men seem to have the urge to buy odd things and forget the necessary items.
See you all later at lunch. I wonder where Louise will take us for lunch ?
i found this lovely potted rose for her garden.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

May 25, 2011
2:50 PM

Post #8586985

I feel guilty for feeling so cold when I know it is much colder in the southern states, esp. Tassie. Anthony, don't get frost bite now. Has it ever been so cold in May before?

Some flowers happening in my yard right now. The poinsettia is looking lovely. I never planted this, it was brought in by the bull dozer, but this is one I don't mind. Its the old fashion kind, tall and lovely.

Hope that carpet doesn't stray into icy conditions. The news on the US tornadoes is scary. Love and Light to those involved.

Going to sit in front of the heater while I do some stuff, then off to the shops today. An adventure, how exciting.

Keep warm.

Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 25, 2011
3:47 PM

Post #8587064

Good morning everyone ...the sun is out ...sky is blue,
yippee whoo hoo!

˙ ˙(˙ ˙ི♥ྀ ƸӜƷ
˙ ˙ `♥. Buттεяfℓy -:¦:-
˙ ˙ ˙ ) -:¦:- ќiṡṡεṡ ♥ི♥ྀ ƸӜƷ
-:¦:-´ & faεяiε ωiṡнεṡ.•´¯`ི♥

Lots to see and do

Going to try and enjoy it,

Hope you all will too!
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

May 25, 2011
7:55 PM

Post #8587589

Are we there yet? Louise may not be home. Ah well. we can always get into her gardening shed. Maybe she has some cuppa facilities in there. It would be a shame to miss her though. Not much to chat about today. Haven't been far and it's too BL----- cold outside. Have cut some more trackies out for the boys so might just hide in my sewing corner. Lovely and quite here though. The only sound I can hear is a rooster crowing. Hope all are well. Gee your very quiet back there Marlene and Elaine. What plants have you picked up along the way? Be back later. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 25, 2011
10:50 PM

Post #8587747

Jean, I managed to find some more Leucocoryne bulbs at a clearance price, so my bag is stuffed...

Just ordered a David Austin rose called The Endeavour...lovely colour...it will have to live in a pot.
Showers all day today...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

May 26, 2011
1:09 AM

Post #8587794

look at this!!!!!!it is absolutely brilliant,.,.i scored 95 pts-out of a possible hundred at the club meet last night,.,.its called'black spider'

Thumbnail by g_whizz

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

May 26, 2011
2:05 AM

Post #8587799

'black out'

Thumbnail by g_whizz

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 26, 2011
2:32 AM

Post #8587802

They are beautiful Anthony ...I love the red one best, the other one looks like Dexter decorated it splattered with ... very nice

I enjoy your love of your babies ☼¸¸.♥¨¯`♥ ♥✿✿。◕‿◕ I can relate!
Oh and by the way congratulations on the high score!

Anyone back yet?

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 26, 2011
9:40 AM

Post #8588428

Hey!!!!! I lost you again.. How do I keep losing you?
Love the Lilies and the rose too.
Got you all a funny picture ... this is Isabelle...they were mooching for cookies..

Thumbnail by ridesredmule

gardengal
se qld
Australia

May 26, 2011
12:52 PM

Post #8588843

Haha they're too cute, Charlene. Amthony, is it the regular time for the lilies to be flowering, or do you manipulate their flowering?

Both of those are gorgeous - any scent? My head doesn't handle heavy flowery scents very well at all, so I miss out on having a lot of lovelies in my garden.

Who brought the cold to Qld? You lot on the carpet didn't drop it off on the way or something?

Have a great day all
Pam

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 26, 2011
1:47 PM

Post #8588934

Charleen there you are!
Oh they are so cute!
nuzzle nuzzle ...pat pat. ^_^

Sorry you have the early winter too Pam, stay warm ...gosh I would hate to live without my perfumed plants, must be very limiting.
I will be back after the nurse has been,
Leaving the urn on ...
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

May 26, 2011
2:05 PM

Post #8588966

Good morning girls. It's lovely to see the smiling faces early in the morning. Charlene, Did you get the cookies for the furryears? Jean dropped them off as we flew over on the carpet. We couldn't find you. We on our way to see Louise now but I don't know whether she's home either. Might have to make our way back home Jean. Colleen
77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 26, 2011

Post #8589005

Good morning everyone. my elves tell me it was cold and showery all day yesterday. Not a good shopping day. One orphan found its way home. A very nice blue salvia.
Anthony . those liliums are so beautiful. Congrats on the prize.
Charleen, we did miss you . Enjoyed seeing your garden though as we popped in. Louise must be busy as I didnt see her when we landed in her yard. After a long rest on her lovely garden chairs, we had a bit of a tour around the area and then took off on our way home.
Sorry we missed you Louise.
Cant be away too long or we might miss things happening in our gardens.
After a brief stop in Hawaii, ( some people had to look at more broms ) we finally made it back across the Pacific to home.
I had to heave some large boxes off the carpet as we dropped people off. I dont know how they are going to fit all those new plants in the gardens.
The elves were glad to see me back and I have sent them off on a short trip as a reward for looking after the Tea Room.
It will be time soon , for them to be off to the North Pole to help get things ready for Christmas.
I have a bundle of lovely salvia cuttings to pot up today too.
I think the salvias may be trying to turn into a "collection" ha ha.
I have about 25 different ones now.
Well. I need something flowering, to fill in between the epis, zygos, brugs and irises.
Better move and do some washing. It didnt get done while I was away on the carpet.
Happy gardening everyone. Heres something nice from the kitchen for you all. ..Black Forest Cake.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 26, 2011
4:45 PM

Post #8589262

ohhhhhhhh!!Yummy. Yep, we caught the cookies and that is why Isabelle is giving Charley the "raspberries"" Ha! HA! I got cookies and you didn't" Charley just turns around and they all start getting out of the way. Now he is one BIG Cookie Monster!!!!
did you see my Japanese Iris waving at you all. Know you had a fun trip. I'll try to make a trip[ with you all soon...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 26, 2011
6:30 PM

Post #8589516

Beautiful Charleen ...
Look everyone Aussie Gold at Chelsea Flower Show

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/05/25/3226024.htm?section=justin

Congratulations! to the Melbourne Botanical Gardens!
gardengal
se qld
Australia

May 26, 2011
8:31 PM

Post #8589819

Woo hoo! Good on them! :)

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 26, 2011
11:32 PM

Post #8590061

It was great news, wasn't it...I was listening to the team on Sunday and they were worried because the grass they chose had failed to grow over there..so they had to use a substitute...what an achievement...they have gone one better than Flemings...
it's on Better Homes and Gardens tonight...

Congrats Anthony...I was thinking the same thing as Pam, ours are dying down...how come yours are winning prizes?

What a great trip, a whole bag full of Leucocorynes for me to plant...yippee...
Lovely Iris, Charleen...how are your Brugs doing?...Isabelle is one smart cookie.

Washing to do now...
Back tomorrow.

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

May 27, 2011
1:24 AM

Post #8590092

they are imports!!!!!!!so they are still flowering to american season.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 27, 2011
8:10 AM

Post #8590528

Yes, ours are blooming also now.
here is a picture of my Brug yard. I have abouthalf a dozen that cam back from roots. i think that is great. Most of them are in pots sunk in ground so ,Hopefully, I can get them up to put in my little greenhouse.
Thank you all, i am so glad I caught up with you again.

77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 27, 2011
2:42 PM

Post #8591202

Good morning everyone. The carpet trip was very nice, but its also lovely to be back home. Yesterday was quite cold but no rain. I sat out int he greenhouse potting up a few cuttings. When I am out there , hubby says I'm "going potty".
I know its not a good time for cuttings but I was given some an d I also took a few when I cut some of the larger salvias back.
Its a foggy morning outside. Hopefully we may see the sun later.
Anthony , your liliums are really lovely. I cant wait to see my new ones flower . The little daffies are poking their heads up and some of my jonquils are starting to flower. Poor confused things. Maybe this means an early spring.
The wattles are all covered in buds , even the 2 small ones.
I am hoping today is not windy so I can attack those weeds with the Roundup.
Charleen, your brugs look great. I hope you get lots of flowers.
Dianne, I knew you were hiding some sort of plants in your bag.
I was extra good and only brought home one small bag of irises and a few bulbs.
I hope Elaine and Marlene are okay . I havent seen them for a while. I am sure we brought them home with us though.
Colleen, have you sorted out that large box of plants you were trying to hide at the back of the carpet ?
I hope Pam and Karen are feeling better .
Teresa, how is Copper going after the long trip ? He seemed to like flying and was very well behaved.
I am going to sit inside in the warm this morning, until I see the sun come out.
Have a great weekend .
Here is something tasty for you all. Chocolate Banana Cake.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

May 27, 2011
4:54 PM

Post #8591462

Good morning everyone. It's lovely to be back from our trip. I have lots of plants. I think that Marlene and Elaine and Dalfyre must have got left somewhere. Maybe they just had such a great time and are speechless. John surprised me yesterday afternoon. He rocked up out the front, phoned me and said didn't Ben [the dog] hear me. It took me a moment to realize what he was saying. He's getting rid of his old pots of bulbs and ferns etc so guess where they've come to. Most are pot bound so there will be lots of repotting going on. He's going to make a trip to the dump for me and then hopefully I will get a trailer of mushroom compost and lake sand. Well had better go and hang the washing out. Be back later. Colleen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 27, 2011
5:00 PM

Post #8591481

Lovely Brug Garden there Charleen ...can't wait to see them in bloom.

Hi everyone yay! you are home ...I bet the first thing you all do is run out to look at the garden.

It's very very brisk here brrrrr but I see the sun so hopefully it will be a nice day.

look what I found on FB ...lovely

http://www.tropicalfoliagegarden.com/
it's Helen's website for her garden ...very nice! a lot of work and expense gone into that lovely garden, I think she must have a magic touch with tropicals, I know Merrylands is very cold in the Winter.

Well what interesting things have you found in your gardens today ...I have so many pink nerines in bloom at the moment, they don't bloom like this every year so even though the conditions have been awful they have enjoyed it.
Most of my Autumn leaves have blown off already ...such a shame because I love my Autumn leaves.
You all must have so much to catch up with now.
Lots of weeds to pull ...like I have here, though thank goodness they seem to be finally slowing down.
Better get on with it,
I will shout you all a hot chocolate and a cinnamon donut ...enjoy!

Thumbnail by chrissy100

gardengal
se qld
Australia

May 27, 2011
5:13 PM

Post #8591517

Now there's a blast from the past. I remember Helen from the very early days of Gardenweb. I used to think she was very brave or determined (or perhaps a little touched in the head lol) for even trying to create a tropical-type garden in Sydney's weather. Her garden is certainly a credit to her. Who needs to holiday in Asia with a garden like hers?!

Thanks for the link Chrissy. :)

Pam
sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

May 27, 2011
6:40 PM

Post #8591667

Been unpacking my boxes Could not make up my mind about plants so looked for things I can work on now Winter is near .
Sorry about being lost the reason was I stayed to long at Auckland Zoo Thanks for picking me up on your way home.------elaine.

Thumbnail by sammut

sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

May 27, 2011
6:44 PM

Post #8591679

Forgot to include the Chinese Emporeror statue I picked up when I have time I will high light the patten on his coat .------elaine.

Thumbnail by sammut

gardengal
se qld
Australia

May 27, 2011
6:57 PM

Post #8591713

Lots of goodies there to keep you busy Elaine. :)

Pam
sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

May 27, 2011
7:16 PM

Post #8591768

This is my last trip to Bunnings a bit disappointed with them they are cutting out a lot of brands I use no longer have the adhisive I use the brand name Fullers and next cut is Wattle brand seems a lot of cut backs all over the stores.-----elaine.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 27, 2011
7:19 PM

Post #8591778

You rock Elaine
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

May 27, 2011
7:25 PM

Post #8591796

my lilies are walking out the front gate!@!!!!ive got a sign down on main road,.,.[works well!!]

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 27, 2011
7:30 PM

Post #8591811

Fantastic Anthony ...do you cry when you say goodbye?
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

May 27, 2011
7:41 PM

Post #8591840

no

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 27, 2011
11:23 PM

Post #8592114

He does really, Chrissy...but they are crocodile tears and he wipes them away with a ten dollar note...

Good on ya, Anthony...nice to see someone making a quid out of a hobby that they love.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 27, 2011
11:55 PM

Post #8592123

I was trying to imagine my Brugs walking out the door ...I would be sad.
Still to know people want them is nice ...hope you made a Motza Anthony ...I bet I know what you be spending it on.

It's stayed cold all day here ...what's it like your way Dianne?

Elaine sorry your stuff is going missing at Bunnings ...looks like you are going to be very busy.

Pam glad you caught up with Helen ...she is on FB that is where I got the link from. I agree amazing results ...my poor garden is suffering from the cold ...I think I must be a bit cooler than Helen's place ...we get the icy wind off the Blue Mountains here. Cool enough out front to grow stone fruit and apples. More sheltered at the back of the home, but cold is cold when it gets down to 0C and in the bad one it was down to -5C.

Lucky you Colleen you are going to be busy.

Jean I hope you have had fun in the Green House ...I haven't been able to do much today, had to stay near my brother, so I envy you wandering around your Green House, sounds wonderful.

I hope everyone enjoys their evening ...Charleen, Loise,Marlene, Sue and any lurkers out there *waving*
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

May 28, 2011
2:52 AM

Post #8592185

spending it on,..,.,?more new bulbs of course,..,or potting medium ,.,. oh, and wine..women and song{sure thing}.,.,which brings me to my next story,..,My pizza delivery,..,aahh,''girl'',tonight ,was about 6 ft 2",with a fake ladies voice''like i would try to put on''-hmmm,.,.THe blokes at work had told me about this ""La Bella,Pizza Lady''--very attractive too,.,.,.glad i hadnt had too many 4xxxx"s before tea!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 28, 2011
1:32 PM

Post #8592970

Charley thinks you will buy you a 4xxxx beer or three with your new found moneys. Have fun reguardless.
Chrissy, My Serindipity is getting buds. she is in a pot, will get you pictures.
Charley is swishing his tail and wishing you all a great weekend too. Hugs and nuzzles

77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 28, 2011
3:00 PM

Post #8593079

Good morning everyone. We have moved to here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1185298/
Cant have everyone getting tired legs from the walk down the track.
Of course we could use Charley and the other long ears, but I dont thing he'd like carrying us up and down all day.
Hello Charleen, just when you found us we are off to a new place again. Just follow the link and you wont lose us.
Hello Anthony. Did you wear your string bikini to answer the door to the pizza "lady"? lol
Hello to everyone else popping in . Louise, sorry we missed you but we did have a nice look around the place. Your garden is very pretty.
Chrissy, I like working in the greenhouse because if there is any sun out, it is nice and cosy in there. Of course , its only 12'x 8'x 8'so not huge. I put my chair in there so I can work at the bench comfortably.
Hubby says it will soon be full and I am not to ask for any more. We have enough places for me to look after. It is so much easier to have all my best plants in the shadehouses and greenhouses though.
I now have a fern house 20'x 10', 3 epi houses about the same size, a zygo house 12'x 10', smaller cacti house about 8'x 8', and the three greenhouses . One is now the brom house and the other old one is for begonias and such.
The main gardens mostly do their own thing . I keep the irises, brugs and the cottage gardens in control but the rest runs wild. I love it like that.
When I tidy a bit or cut something back, I often find plants I had forgotten.
Like yesterday, when I peeped under a large hebe and found my pot of Christmas lilies looking at me. They were not happy with me, so today I will move them out to the salvia area where they can see the sun.
Better go and do something domestic.
Happy gardening. Take some of this lovely Coffee Cake with you to the new Tea Room place.
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Australian and New Zealand Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the new Australian Gardening forum Terry 28 Oct 21, 2009 10:20 AM
Where are you in AU . holty 219 Aug 22, 2014 8:21 PM
soap tree aka 'Sapindus Mukorossis' is it available in aus'? gardenlen 15 Jul 18, 2013 2:22 AM
bromeliad-blanchetiana ? boofhead 7 Dec 30, 2011 7:42 PM
What you don`t want to see in your garden. ginger749 93 Sep 5, 2007 9:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America