Photo by Melody

Home Decorating: Green carpet-need help!

Communities > Forums > Home Decorating
bookmark
Forum: Home DecoratingReplies: 10, Views: 221
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
museumgirl
Royal Oak, MI
(Zone 6a)

May 8, 2011
6:29 PM

Post #8548534

I'm getting ready to repaint my study/sewing room/spare bedroom. It is a north facing room with one window, just off our living room, which is painted a pale beach-glass green with a hickory floor.

My problem: The study has green saxony carpet that I cannot replace right now, and its in good shape. The furniture is 1930s waterfall style; desk, dresser, mahogany bookcase and a dark wood antique cabinet. One wall is sliding mirror doors. I want a color to flatter the wood tones, and not take on a funny cast from the carpet. The room is tiny: about 11x9.5 feet.
The rest of the house is a mix of arts and crafts antiques and 1930s furniture, with the hickory floors throughout. I want the style of this room to fit in.
I considered a silvery-gray, but can't visualize what this will look like with that green carpet! Any suggestions?
museumgirl
Royal Oak, MI
(Zone 6a)

May 9, 2011
12:10 PM

Post #8550150

No replies yet, but I think I have an idea that may work. I have paint from mr husband's study. Ace hardware color called "dried hydrangea", a kind of taupe with a pink undertone. I put a little on the wall, and it seems to tone down the carpet, and it looks pretty from the other room. I probably have enough to prime and paint the room without buying another gallon, so I'll give it a shot.
Here's a pic of the room, with its current canary yellow walls that really glare with the carpet! let this serve as a lesson to others...(it actually made sense when I first did the room!)

Thumbnail by museumgirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

weasel71
Lombard, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 12, 2011
7:55 AM

Post #8557531

I think a taupey gray would look nice, but not the pink undertone. I bought a house last year and both the master bedroom and master bathoom are painted a taupey-beige with a pink undertone and I absolutely can't stand it. And it looks worse in natural, bright light. It reminds me of the mauve fad of the 80's. If I were you, I would paint a 2x2 section and see how it looks in different light. You can also spend $3 each on samples and try a few different shades of that taupey color. Hope this helps. BTW, are you planning to replace that carpet in the near future? If so, I would definitely pick a color I could live with AFTER the carpet is gone, rather than repaint again. Good luck!
museumgirl
Royal Oak, MI
(Zone 6a)

May 12, 2011
2:09 PM

Post #8558425

Probably won't replace carpet anytime soon-we have done every other room in the house last year, due to a flood. :(
I painted the room a mauve color, and put up pictures with black frames. It looks good with the wood, and it did tone down the floor. It is not 80's mauve, which would make me...ill... I decorated my first home in the 80s, and there are some things you just don't want to do twice! This is more of a gray, I think. There was black, yellow, and a single drop of red in the mix when the hardware guy mixed it. Interesting.
This has a very art deco look, got rave reviews from mr husband and artist son. of course, mr husband IS color blind...
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 19, 2011
2:43 PM

Post #8574319

ok, here is my two cents.

in my current line of work (photography) and my former line of work (floral arranging) we use color wheels. We are taught that when decorating with color (in any career) that the thought is if you are working with a bold color (such as a vivid green carpet) your options are to pair it with a subtle color.

when choosing the subtle color, you have three choices ... to compliment, contrast, or highlight the bold color by using the color wheel.

ie: to compliment the dark green in the carpet, you would choose a wall color of the same hue but several shades lighter.

to contrast the carpet, you would choose the color opposite the green on the color wheel in a softer shade (which, by the way, is purple so you would use a lavender)

to highlight the green, you would choose a neutral tone : black, white, gray, beige.

I had carpet once that I called 'golf course green' cuz thats what the livingroom reminded me of with that carpet. to offset the carpet, I painted the walls a very light grayish lavender. it was actually very nice and worked until we installed hardwood floors.

museumgirl
Royal Oak, MI
(Zone 6a)

May 20, 2011
11:55 AM

Post #8575936

Well, I painted it. I love it, so does the family. It is a grey-beige, but I am told on some monitors it looks hospital white. It's not! It came out pretty and looks good with the furniture. Carpet kind of disappears, and looks much more subtle.
Of course, with the bed in there, not much carpet shows now anyway! What do you think?

Thumbnail by museumgirl

museumgirl
Royal Oak, MI
(Zone 6a)

May 20, 2011
11:56 AM

Post #8575937

Here's another shot. Sorry it is hard to photograph such a small room.

Thumbnail by museumgirl

cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 20, 2011
1:09 PM

Post #8576035

it turned out very nice!

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

January 31, 2012
9:09 PM

Post #8990270

Can't really tell much about the color but I love the cat!! She really likes it!

JudyinGA

JudyinGA
Newnan, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 25, 2012
8:20 PM

Post #9020166

Looks very nice. Much better than the yellow. It really did bring the carpet down. Cat looks happy. Love your clocks.
museumgirl
Royal Oak, MI
(Zone 6a)

April 9, 2012
5:19 AM

Post #9075068

Ha ha! All beds in this house belong to cats, and we are lucky if we get to sleep there, too! This bedroom is now "home" to our foster cat, Mabel. She has her own little bed in there, and we have a real bed for guests (the one in the picture is an inflatable, not comfy!) I'd post a new pic, but it's a mess right now! (my sewing room)

Anyway, thanks for the nice comments. Painting that room inspired painting a few other rooms in that neutral tone; dining room, kitchen and bathroom, all in varying shades, we love it. It looks good with dark furniture. And yeah, we have a lot of clocks! My dad has collected and repaired them for years, I guess it rubbed off on me!
I'll take a new picture when the room is more presentable.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Home Decorating Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Mexican theme, not for the faint of heart MollyMc 57 Jan 4, 2008 3:14 AM
Kitchen Makeover......There's no turning back now!! nminmd 164 Nov 19, 2014 12:23 AM
Removing Wallpaper GrannyLois 30 Aug 18, 2009 11:32 PM
Bedroom re-do Terry 42 Aug 16, 2014 11:12 PM
Re-do on the bedroom. What a difference! Badseed 45 Jan 23, 2009 6:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America