Datura Jimson Weed

Cleburne, TX(Zone 8a)

I started this plant from seed received in the Texas native plant seed exchange/give-away. It has just been thrilling to watch this beautiful flower open this evening. DH (LEW_TEX) took the photos.

Photo #1 - Not quite all the way open.

Cleburne, TX(Zone 8a)

We were lucky that the wind had calmed for a little while so we could get some pretty good shots.

Photo #2

Arlington, TX

I have a couple plants that I got in the RU last fall and overwintered but they are just now making buds. What a lovely flower, was the smell nice also?

Cleburne, TX(Zone 8a)

I did not notice a smell but the wind probably blew it away ! The flower is absolutely huge.

Arlington, TX

They usually smell very nice, hopefully a lot more flowers will follow.

Cleburne, TX(Zone 8a)

Yes, it has four more buds in different stages of development.

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

They are really gorgeous, such a trill to watch them open!! The hummingbird moths will be coming to them at night, we used to go out with a flashlight to see them, so much fun!!!
Josephine.

Cleburne, TX(Zone 8a)

Larry may be out there all night taking pictures. LOL. This was the last one.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I love the softness of the petal. Watch out early in the morning for bees, they love them too. I didn't get seeds to set at first, so I was helping the polenation along and almost got stung poking my fingers into the flowers. LOL!

NE, TX(Zone 8a)

Beautiful! So glad you posted this as I just bought a Datura at a native plant sale on Saturday!
Any special tips I should know before planting it? I noticed the plantfiles have it listed as an annual here but my info says it will be a perennial.
I am thinking of a full sun spot for a moonlight garden.
Any suggestions will be welcome.
Thanks!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I look at the Datura Wrightii, Jimsonweed I have as a hardy annual. Most years it will come back without problem, but ever now and again I will loose one. http://wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=DAWR2
Careful when touching the plant to wash your hands afterwards since all parts of the plant are toxic. My animals have never had a problem nor I but I am careful not to rub my eyes, etc. when I am out in the garden.

Arlington, TX

I think it is like Sheila said, good years a perennial, cold perhaps not. I got a couple fancy purple from someone at the fall RU and overwintered them in the house. One is about to bloom the other is just starting to grow back after breaking off. My two natives will bloom soon. I had some brugs last year but the squash beatles ate the flowers. I am hoping they don't like Daturas.

Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

Dont harvest your garden veggies or chop up a salad after touching Jimson weed without a good handwashing. It will make you very sick and the doc's may take a while to figure out what caused your symptoms.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Sounds like you are speaking from experience Marty.

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

I got some annual ones as left overs from the plant sale. I don't know too much about these, but I think I got a good deal. It is a delightful bloom!

NE, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks for your replies. The local native plant society gave a short, informative presentation before the sale and did mention how poisonous these plants are. I will be careful.
After seeing photos of the plants, I just had to have one. Now, after doing a little research, I'm afraid the bed I was going to put it in doesn't receive enough sun, just morning until about noon.
If that's the case, I guess I need another flower bed (grins.)
Any suggestions for a full sun, all white moonlight garden?
Maybe a white crape myrtle off to one side?

Thanks,
Nia

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

I had a white flower corner for a while.It included white salvia nemorosa. It blooms early and keeps on all summer. Loves the full sun. White yarrow...be careful it spreads easily, white wine cups, white cone flower and white/green striped large grass.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Here is a picture of mine as it is tonight. This is one plant and it is HUGE! I have it in a spot where it really only gets about 5 hours of afternoon sun. This is the same plant that came back from last year, and it got down to 20 degrees this past winter. Its blooms never let me down.

Well, I just had to brag about my Datura, this one was growing in the flower bed that tend at my church where I planted it.
I couldn't believe it I think it had 60 or more blooms on it, it was amazing!!!
Josephine.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

LMAO, what a SHOW OFF! You just had to throw me under the bus like that didnt you. ;) VERY beautiful, thank you for sharing that!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

LOL!!!! ROFLOL!!!! Too funny! Yep, Josephine is the native guru.

I have had one that did very well in morning to noon sun. The evening blooms opened quicker I think also.

Cleburne, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh, wow! Guess we will have more Datura here now that I see the possibilities. I only got around to planting out the one I posted photos of and have had two seedlings that have languished in their little pot. Was thinking of taking them to the RU but now they are going in the ground today !!! And will probably start some more seed.

Thanks for sharing your beautiful photos, Brandon and Josephine.

Arlington, TX

I didn't know it got that big! I didn't give it nearly enough room.

NE, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks so much for sharing your ideas and pics!
Bananna, I love the white suggestions!
It seems I have more options than originally thought... hmmm.
Going to think on this a little more.

Well, that was the biggest I have ever seen, actually I don't know why it got so big because i didn't do anything special, dumb luck I guess.

Arlington, TX

I have 2 in the kitchen sink bed and they will get trimmed if they get much larger than they are now.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

They don't mind being cut back several times....they just put out new growth and get fuller. They can spread out if you let them.

Grand Saline, TX(Zone 7b)

I love the datura pics!
One thing that confuses me, what is the difference between D. inoxia and wrightii?

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Josephine would be the one to answer with authority, but I think it is the leaves. Some pictures in plantfiles however have both I think. Also the seed pot of the inoxia is oval and wrightii is round. But don't take my word....let Josephine tell us.

Arlington, TX

They do look similar.

Well, here is a long explanation, if you scroll to where it says similar species it will tell you the differences which are small, bur Datura wrightii is the one native to Texas.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datura_inoxia#Similar_species
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datura_wrightii

Grand Saline, TX(Zone 7b)

Thank you, Josephine. How interesting! I don't know I would have noticed the subtle differences on my own. cool.

Arlington, TX

I got several native and non-native datura seedlings last fall that I overwintered under lights in the house. Here is the first to bloom, not wrightii but man its pretty. I hope I get some seedlings to bring in this fall.

Cleburne, TX(Zone 8a)

Wow, Cheryl, that's beautiful !! Please post photo when it opens.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Very pretty Cheryl. I had one but I think it was over powered by too much shade.

Arlington, TX

I got a couple seedlings and some seed from someone at the fall RU. I will have to look and see who to thank. I didn't plant the seeds but now I might try them. I have yellow and other types of purple. That plant is in pretty much full sun with way too much water and rich soil.
C

Yes, they are all beautiful!!!

Arlington, TX

strange looking inside

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

I know that Anita, my friend who came to the fall RU, has lots of datura. Maybe it was from her.

Arlington, TX

A double purple enjoying the cloudy morning.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.