Photo by Melody

Container Gardening: Planting Russian Sage in old milk cans?

Communities > Forums > Container Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Container GardeningReplies: 3, Views: 74
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
PrairieFolly
Flint Hills, KS
(Zone 5b)

May 8, 2011
9:43 PM

Post #8548953

I am new to being active on DG, tho I've been reading and learning here a while and have been amazed and inspired. I have a pair of old milk cans and I want to plant them for full sun, preferably hardy --to stay out there for more than a year. I've never grown Russian Sage (or the Little Spire version) but they do well here. Will the big one be too big in 1-2 years? Will they get too hot,? By DG's map I am in zone 5b, and Sunset zone 35 or 41-right on the edge. I've just read the sticky with "Container Soils and Water Movement in Containers". That sounds helpful. It will keep it well drained, and aerated. But maybe there are better plants for milk cans in my climate? Maybe milk cans aren't good planter candidates? TIA for any advice, suggestions, PrairieFolly

This message was edited May 9, 2011 2:07 AM

This message was edited May 9, 2011 2:14 AM
daylilydreams
small town, MN
(Zone 4b)

May 9, 2011
3:34 PM

Post #8550558

I would think the milk cans would get to hot for plants. I have russian sage planted in the garden never tried it in a planter, but perhaps a wooden half barrel or some other large container would work. You could give it a try in the milk cans if you are going to dig some up from your garden you never know unless you experiment.
PrairieFolly
Flint Hills, KS
(Zone 5b)

May 9, 2011
3:59 PM

Post #8550597

I like that idea, Daylily, I do have a place in the ground I want some. I suppose most things would freeze in the winter too. I'm glad I didn't rush in to this, thanks.
daylilydreams
small town, MN
(Zone 4b)

May 9, 2011
6:02 PM

Post #8550910

Sometimes trying something to see if it works for you can give you results that work for you. I plant annuals in containers all the other plants get planted in the ground. Good luck and have fun gardening.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Container Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Growing tomatoes upside down BittysGarden 112 Jul 19, 2009 5:51 AM
Raspberry Plants in Containers MummyOF4dolls 23 Mar 27, 2012 4:00 PM
Flower Pouches? nathalyn 80 Sep 11, 2008 10:49 PM
Growin' bags kwells 53 Aug 24, 2008 3:12 PM
How to make papercrete containers. Tomtom 423 May 5, 2013 3:52 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America