Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Yummy, the Macadamia nut!: Memories

Communities > Forums > Article: Yummy, the Macadamia nut!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Yummy, the Macadamia nut!Replies: 5, Views: 33
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 9, 2011
5:08 AM

Post #8549187

I bought a small (5 foot) tree at a plant sale in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, probably in the early '80s. To my complete surprise, it not only survived, it thrived. I knew nothing, so beyond trying to correctly prepare the soil, I just left it alone. The "soil" was pretty much sand. It was the butt of many jokes, as my neighbor was always telling me he'd run it over, kicked it, or stepped on it :(. He didn't, but I fell for it every time. It started producing when it was bout 15', though I don't remember how old it was, and there were more nuts every year. By the time I sold the house in 1994, it was 30' or so, and a heavy bearer. I will not go by the house, as I'm sure it has been removed. I miss it, and still have some nuts that I saved.
p.s. Just a warning, I'm told now that they are toxic to dogs, but mine used to spend hours trying to get into them. Maybe because they actually got so few, it didn't hurt them, but back then, I didn't know they could be a danger to dogs.
They also liked to tackle coconuts...

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

May 9, 2011
6:16 AM

Post #8549309

You have been so successful with this one that you should plant another one at your new location! They do become heavy bearers after a few year, I always bring a bagfull whenever I visit friends!
Never heard about the toxicity towards dogs, sounds strange! I would think they may very well break teeth on them but nothing more!
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 9, 2011
6:40 AM

Post #8549355

I'm now in a place where they won't survive thru winter, sadly. I do have pecans and black walnuts, to help me get by :)

I was sceptical about toxicity, but after talking to the Vets I worked with, and doing my own research, I'm a believer. Doesn't happen to every dog (obviously, mine survived), but why take the chance?

http://vetmedicine.about.com/od/toxicology/f/ToxicMacadamiaNuts.htm

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

May 9, 2011
8:32 AM

Post #8549617

Sounds like SC stands for some no-macadamia zone, what state is this?
I will check the link, we have two dogs in the garden which have not given any interest so far to those nuts but who knows?
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 10, 2011
4:45 AM

Post #8551648

Sorry, knowing where you're posting from I should have been more specific. SC is South Carolina, eastern central US. While many years it might be fine for macadamias, letely it's been colder. I think they might survive in they were able to become established, but the trick would be getting to that point.

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

May 10, 2011
4:56 AM

Post #8551662

I have traveled around in the US but this was long ago and I have not been to SC so it did not ring a bell for me...I do not know if there are some macadamia strains particularly resistant to cold, folks in Hawaii may have developed some.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Yummy, the Macadamia nut! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Macadamia - good tree, bad nut mcfarland 2 May 10, 2011 5:01 AM
nut trees sandyshere 1 May 10, 2011 5:03 AM
The Mac that is good for you! nina_platter 1 May 10, 2011 4:58 AM
Who knew????? Thanks for the education! luv2wok 2 May 16, 2011 6:25 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America