Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

History

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Share some history and info. Got a special spot, building, re-enactment, antique, anything old. Take a pic and give us some background, links are fine.
This is the Ames Free Library in North Easton, MA yesterday. It was designed by H. H. Richardson, opened in 1883. Commissioned by the Ames family and donated to the town. A major rehab was completed last year. One shot of the inside (not mine) http://www.flickr.com/photos/papadunes/4632277781/in/photostream/
On the National Registry of Historic Places.
Andy P

Thumbnail by Sarahskeeper
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Neat idea for a thread Andy! Enjoyed reading about the library and that is a wonderful photo!

Here's a building in Vandalia, Illinois. Vandalia was the second capitol of Illinois from 1819 to 1839. This was the third capitol building during that time period. As a freshman legislator, Abraham Lincoln starting his service on December 1, 1834, in the second capitol building, which was in very poor condition. He started his second term of office in December 1836 in this building. Continued restoration and remodelling has been done on the building for the last 150 years. This photo was taken in 2008.

I look forward to seeing and reading about more historical places.

Patti

Thumbnail by P_Edens
Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Hi Patti, thanks for contributing with an interesting story. The old Capitol building looks good. What is it used for now?
I had to go back to photo the interior after seeing the link above. This little library is a true gem recently voted one of the most beautiful small libraries in the US. I was supremely impressed.
The director suggested I climb the closed narrow stairway and shoot from the balcony. The wood craft is amazing.
Andy P

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Oh wow! That is incredible. The wood is beautiful. Fantastic view!

The Old Capitol Building is a state historic site open for tours. They have a couple of events there each year - one, a candlelight tour in December, sounds like it would be really interesting to do.

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

I work in historic preservation as a member of Historic Preservation Commission. We locally designate sites which gives them some protection and limits what owners can do to them. In return, they get some tax breaks.
But we also started up a little museum 2-1/2 years ago and I am a jack-of-all-trades there mainly coordinating the volunteers and gardening. But also lots of research for exhibits, which I enjoy.
The home in the photo is called Silvermont. It belonged to an early industrialist who was in the tanning business. The extracted tannin for 3 types of tree bark, and preserved various hides and furs. They also sold the extract, and had a large lumber operation.Silveront was built in 1917 and has belonged to the county (Transylvania) for about 3 decades. Many events are held there as well as a senior center and weddings on weekends. The 2nd floor has just been restored and is furnished and equipped in the manner the family lived.

Thumbnail by woodspirit1

Here is a shot of our little museum with restoration just beginning. It is called the Transylvania Heritage Museum.

Thumbnail by woodspirit1
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Woodspirit1,

Oh my! What an interesting "job" you have. Hard to call it a job when it sounds more like fun. That photo of the Silvermont is just beautiful. With all the snow in the trees, it looks like an IR photo.

Patti

Well, here's the queen of the U.S. The is the largest house in the U.S. and nearly broke George Vanderbilt building and collected European antiques for it. This is the also the best photo I have seen of Biltmore.

Thumbnail by woodspirit1
Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/984912/
Please see my thread which can start moving now!

This is what a Cherokee home looked like. Not a teepee (tipi) style like out west.

Thumbnail by woodspirit1
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Dinu, I enjoyed seeing the postcards.
Woodspirit1, The Cherokee home looks quite interesting. Any structure inside?

not sure. I will invetigate further.
I was doing a special investigation on old time country stores. My husband remembers this old store when it was open. What attracted m to it was the name: Jot 'em down store. I supposed it was because so many country stores let people run accounts. He said they sold a lot of dry goods, feed, boots, some foodstuffs and 5 cent Cokes.

Thumbnail by woodspirit1

Here is a photo of a Cherokee ai under construction.

Thumbnail by woodspirit1
Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Then and now collage. I've made a few of these.

Thumbnail by Dinu
Victoria, TX(Zone 9a)

Fantastic Images Everyone.... Neat thread topic. You need to click thumbnail to see full image.

Here is one I took a couple years ago at the old "Broadway Cemetery" in Galveston, Texas.
Many who lost their lives in the 1900 storm are resting there. It is considered to be one of the most haunted cemeteries in the USA. I don't know how much there is to that, but I will tell you firsthand that I feel "watched" when I visit there.
Here is a link that has a video that shows a 360 degree view of the cemetery.

http://www.ghosttoursofgalvestonisland.com/CEMETERY.htm

Thumbnail by Lilyofthenight

OK, who is this? This picture is related to the subject of this thread.

Thumbnail by woodspirit1
PERTH, Australia

Looks like an ornery varmint.

Nope. Doesn't he look like a guy that starred in "The Sting" and "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid?"

PERTH, Australia

He sure does.

Victoria, TX(Zone 9a)

Ya mean Paul Newman??? He does look like him. Wow...

His name is R. Henry Scadin. He was an early photographer. Born in Michigan in 1861, he began photograph as a young man, even working for Will Rogers. He began diaries in 1885. He wrote every day, with even the simplest of chores, always the date and temperature.
Henry's family were orchardists and he continued, no matter where he moved, to raise fruit trees and berries. Here in the mountains, he took many many photos for the old resorts when they were just opening. He also took lots of landscapes and family portraits. He stopped posting one year, when his little girl, Uma, died. His wife and later, one surviving son, did add some writing one year when Henry was ill. and then 2 years before he died in 1923 and a few years thereafter.
What did I learn about him? He was a kind, loving husband and father who NEVER complained about his wife and son. He was involved intellectual and socially with family, friends and nieghbors. He could repair anything, including neighbors' organs, photographic equipment and build houses and a barns.
Odd to say, I kinda fell in love with him.

Victoria, TX(Zone 9a)

I can see why...................:)

PERTH, Australia

A remarkable man.

I think you are going to see some items that the museum received during the last year. I am not sure if they are tagged individually or not. Some are minor, but tell a story, others are lovely and also tell a story
Well this didn't work. Will try something diffeent

This message was edited Jun 4, 2011 9:23 AM

Thumbnail by woodspirit1
Morpeth, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Very interesting thread and I look forward to more contributions. I remember a visit to Biltmore in 1992. Fascinating place.

Here's an interior view of one of my very favourite places - York Minster. The Norman cathedral was completed in 1100.

Thumbnail by kniphofia

Beautiful Cathedral. It's pretty amusing to think that we think buildings are old if they are 100 or more but no one built large buildings here back then. However, in Central and South America, there were some cities with large plazas and pyramids. I believe the oldest standing structures we can count in the U.S. is about 1600 or so.

These 2 guys are at the entrance to the New York City main library. The one on the left is named Patience and the one on the right is named Forttude. I remember sitting on Patience and having my picture taken in the 1950s. That's no longer allowed and the lions had to be restored because of such wear and tear.

Thumbnail by woodspirit1
Morpeth, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Here's a pic of Alnwick castle keep. The Duke & Duchess of Northumberland still live in the castle. This was used as Hogwarts in a couple of the early Harry Potter films.

Yes Woods, I think there's a phrase something like "Americans think 100 years is a long time and Britons think 100 miles is a long way". :)

Thumbnail by kniphofia
Saugerties, NY(Zone 5a)

What a great topic..
This is another Vanderbilt Mansion. It was the home of Frederick & Louise that was used a few weeks out of the year. It was built around 1895 on 600 acres in Hyde Park NY along the west side of the Hudson River. In 1940 it was donated to the state.
Christine

Thumbnail by jasminesmom
PERTH, Australia

Nice weekender, Christine.

Knip, both the cathedral and the castle are amazing. It must be fabulous to live so close to such buildings. Being even younger than the USA, Australians get sentimental about anything more than twenty years old.

Biltmore's gardens are a big draw. They have periods of huge bloom and advertise as such. They also have a tremendous greenhouse near the mansion. The terraces have tulips early in spring. Then apparently dig them all out and replace them with roses for the rest of the year. I can't imagine handling these cycles, especially with the roses, but they do it.

This is Florham, the home of Commadore Vanderbilt's daughter, Florence. It is now part of school. It's in NJ, I think.

Thumbnail by woodspirit1

And this is Cornelius Vanderbilt's "cottage" in Newport, RI. I think it is named Vandy. Probably built around 1885. I find these last 2 homes to be a bit cold and formal, almost institutional.

Thumbnail by woodspirit1

These are Vanderbilt homes in NYC. The photos were taken in 1882 but the homes are quite a bit older.

Thumbnail by woodspirit1
Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Birthday Greetings to woodspirit. Have a fine future ahead, in all respects.

Somehow, I've always been fascinated to see old buildings. So nice to see them here. I'll find some too.

PERTH, Australia

Happy birthday, Woodspirit

Saugerties, NY(Zone 5a)

Great pictures everyone, I enjoy seeing the mansions, and seeing how the other half lives, as I look around my one bedroom apartment LOL.... Happy Birthday Woodspirit :>)
Christine

thank you all. Today my husband was my garden slave. We went to our little museum, pictured above, and worked all over. While we normally have pretty heavy rainfall, it is very dry here. He watered for about 2 hours. I fed several things including the roses and brugs.
We used this child at a special even called Pioneer Day. She charmed everyone.

Thumbnail by woodspirit1
Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks everyone for contributing. This is all very interesting.
Let me add another item from the Easton, MA Historical district, also designed by H. H. Richardson.
The Ames family were industrialists, smart and filthy rich. Ever hear of Ames shovels? Check the tool shed if you have old tools. Ames was the largest shovel maker in the world supplying most of the shovels used on the Continental Rail Road and the '49 Gold Rush even WW1.
The factories employed so many people they had their own train station. This has just been refurbished and is now used as the Easton Historical Center. It has two waiting rooms, one for women and another for men.
Andy P

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Look at the Station Masters window. It was used to check tracks, and switch settings. The station master sold tickets through other windows inside facing the waiting rooms.
Andy P

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.