-
AuthorContent
Sarahskeeper
Brockton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 10, 2011
4:44 PM

Post #8553190

Share some history and info. Got a special spot, building, re-enactment, antique, anything old. Take a pic and give us some background, links are fine.
This is the Ames Free Library in North Easton, MA yesterday. It was designed by H. H. Richardson, opened in 1883. Commissioned by the Ames family and donated to the town. A major rehab was completed last year. One shot of the inside (not mine) http://www.flickr.com/photos/papadunes/4632277781/in/photostream/
On the National Registry of Historic Places.
Andy P

Thumbnail by Sarahskeeper
Click the image for an enlarged view.

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 10, 2011
5:21 PM

Post #8553288

Neat idea for a thread Andy! Enjoyed reading about the library and that is a wonderful photo!

Here's a building in Vandalia, Illinois. Vandalia was the second capitol of Illinois from 1819 to 1839. This was the third capitol building during that time period. As a freshman legislator, Abraham Lincoln starting his service on December 1, 1834, in the second capitol building, which was in very poor condition. He started his second term of office in December 1836 in this building. Continued restoration and remodelling has been done on the building for the last 150 years. This photo was taken in 2008.

I look forward to seeing and reading about more historical places.

Patti

Thumbnail by P_Edens

Sarahskeeper
Brockton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 11, 2011
4:07 PM

Post #8556212

Hi Patti, thanks for contributing with an interesting story. The old Capitol building looks good. What is it used for now?
I had to go back to photo the interior after seeing the link above. This little library is a true gem recently voted one of the most beautiful small libraries in the US. I was supremely impressed.
The director suggested I climb the closed narrow stairway and shoot from the balcony. The wood craft is amazing.
Andy P

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 11, 2011
4:32 PM

Post #8556292

Oh wow! That is incredible. The wood is beautiful. Fantastic view!

The Old Capitol Building is a state historic site open for tours. They have a couple of events there each year - one, a candlelight tour in December, sounds like it would be really interesting to do.

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 16, 2011
7:13 AM

Post #8566422

I work in historic preservation as a member of Historic Preservation Commission. We locally designate sites which gives them some protection and limits what owners can do to them. In return, they get some tax breaks.
But we also started up a little museum 2-1/2 years ago and I am a jack-of-all-trades there mainly coordinating the volunteers and gardening. But also lots of research for exhibits, which I enjoy.
The home in the photo is called Silvermont. It belonged to an early industrialist who was in the tanning business. The extracted tannin for 3 types of tree bark, and preserved various hides and furs. They also sold the extract, and had a large lumber operation.Silveront was built in 1917 and has belonged to the county (Transylvania) for about 3 decades. Many events are held there as well as a senior center and weddings on weekends. The 2nd floor has just been restored and is furnished and equipped in the manner the family lived.

Thumbnail by woodspirit1

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 16, 2011
7:17 AM

Post #8566432

Here is a shot of our little museum with restoration just beginning. It is called the Transylvania Heritage Museum.

Thumbnail by woodspirit1

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 16, 2011
4:51 PM

Post #8567797

Woodspirit1,

Oh my! What an interesting "job" you have. Hard to call it a job when it sounds more like fun. That photo of the Silvermont is just beautiful. With all the snow in the trees, it looks like an IR photo.

Patti

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 16, 2011
11:51 PM

Post #8568544

Well, here's the queen of the U.S. The is the largest house in the U.S. and nearly broke George Vanderbilt building and collected European antiques for it. This is the also the best photo I have seen of Biltmore.

Thumbnail by woodspirit1

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

May 30, 2011
10:09 AM

Post #8596896

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/984912/
Please see my thread which can start moving now!

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 30, 2011
10:40 AM

Post #8596964

This is what a Cherokee home looked like. Not a teepee (tipi) style like out west.

Thumbnail by woodspirit1

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 30, 2011
10:54 AM

Post #8596989

Dinu, I enjoyed seeing the postcards.
Woodspirit1, The Cherokee home looks quite interesting. Any structure inside?

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 1, 2011
8:29 PM

Post #8603035

not sure. I will invetigate further.
I was doing a special investigation on old time country stores. My husband remembers this old store when it was open. What attracted m to it was the name: Jot 'em down store. I supposed it was because so many country stores let people run accounts. He said they sold a lot of dry goods, feed, boots, some foodstuffs and 5 cent Cokes.

Thumbnail by woodspirit1

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 1, 2011
8:30 PM

Post #8603038

Here is a photo of a Cherokee ai under construction.

Thumbnail by woodspirit1

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

June 2, 2011
2:40 AM

Post #8603272

Then and now collage. I've made a few of these.

Thumbnail by Dinu

Lilyofthenight
Victoria, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 2, 2011
5:57 AM

Post #8603519

Fantastic Images Everyone... Neat thread topic. You need to click thumbnail to see full image.

Here is one I took a couple years ago at the old "Broadway Cemetery" in Galveston, Texas.
Many who lost their lives in the 1900 storm are resting there. It is considered to be one of the most haunted cemeteries in the USA. I don't know how much there is to that, but I will tell you firsthand that I feel "watched" when I visit there.
Here is a link that has a video that shows a 360 degree view of the cemetery.

http://www.ghosttoursofgalvestonisland.com/CEMETERY.htm

Thumbnail by Lilyofthenight

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 2, 2011
6:39 PM

Post #8605044

OK, who is this? This picture is related to the subject of this thread.

Thumbnail by woodspirit1

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

June 2, 2011
6:59 PM

Post #8605095

Looks like an ornery varmint.

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 2, 2011
7:21 PM

Post #8605149

Nope. Doesn't he look like a guy that starred in "The Sting" and "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid?"
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

June 2, 2011
7:24 PM

Post #8605162

He sure does.
Lilyofthenight
Victoria, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 2, 2011
8:28 PM

Post #8605343

Ya mean Paul Newman??? He does look like him. Wow...

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 3, 2011
12:01 PM

Post #8606333

His name is R. Henry Scadin. He was an early photographer. Born in Michigan in 1861, he began photograph as a young man, even working for Will Rogers. He began diaries in 1885. He wrote every day, with even the simplest of chores, always the date and temperature.
Henry's family were orchardists and he continued, no matter where he moved, to raise fruit trees and berries. Here in the mountains, he took many many photos for the old resorts when they were just opening. He also took lots of landscapes and family portraits. He stopped posting one year, when his little girl, Uma, died. His wife and later, one surviving son, did add some writing one year when Henry was ill. and then 2 years before he died in 1923 and a few years thereafter.
What did I learn about him? He was a kind, loving husband and father who NEVER complained about his wife and son. He was involved intellectual and socially with family, friends and nieghbors. He could repair anything, including neighbors' organs, photographic equipment and build houses and a barns.
Odd to say, I kinda fell in love with him.
Lilyofthenight
Victoria, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 3, 2011
2:27 PM

Post #8606634

I can see why...:)
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

June 3, 2011
5:15 PM

Post #8606871

A remarkable man.

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 4, 2011
7:20 AM

Post #8608009

I think you are going to see some items that the museum received during the last year. I am not sure if they are tagged individually or not. Some are minor, but tell a story, others are lovely and also tell a story
Well this didn't work. Will try something diffeent

This message was edited Jun 4, 2011 9:23 AM

kniphofia
Morpeth
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

June 5, 2011
8:49 AM

Post #8610389

Very interesting thread and I look forward to more contributions. I remember a visit to Biltmore in 1992. Fascinating place.

Here's an interior view of one of my very favourite places - York Minster. The Norman cathedral was completed in 1100.

Thumbnail by kniphofia

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 5, 2011
8:26 PM

Post #8611817

Beautiful Cathedral. It's pretty amusing to think that we think buildings are old if they are 100 or more but no one built large buildings here back then. However, in Central and South America, there were some cities with large plazas and pyramids. I believe the oldest standing structures we can count in the U.S. is about 1600 or so.

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 5, 2011
8:30 PM

Post #8611823

These 2 guys are at the entrance to the New York City main library. The one on the left is named Patience and the one on the right is named Forttude. I remember sitting on Patience and having my picture taken in the 1950s. That's no longer allowed and the lions had to be restored because of such wear and tear.

Thumbnail by woodspirit1

kniphofia
Morpeth
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

June 5, 2011
11:41 PM

Post #8611963

Here's a pic of Alnwick castle keep. The Duke & Duchess of Northumberland still live in the castle. This was used as Hogwarts in a couple of the early Harry Potter films.

Yes Woods, I think there's a phrase something like "Americans think 100 years is a long time and Britons think 100 miles is a long way". :)

Thumbnail by kniphofia

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 6, 2011
4:56 AM

Post #8612160

What a great topic..
This is another Vanderbilt Mansion. It was the home of Frederick & Louise that was used a few weeks out of the year. It was built around 1895 on 600 acres in Hyde Park NY along the west side of the Hudson River. In 1940 it was donated to the state.
Christine

Thumbnail by jasminesmom

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

June 6, 2011
5:02 AM

Post #8612166

Nice weekender, Christine.

Knip, both the cathedral and the castle are amazing. It must be fabulous to live so close to such buildings. Being even younger than the USA, Australians get sentimental about anything more than twenty years old.

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 6, 2011
10:16 AM

Post #8612810

Biltmore's gardens are a big draw. They have periods of huge bloom and advertise as such. They also have a tremendous greenhouse near the mansion. The terraces have tulips early in spring. Then apparently dig them all out and replace them with roses for the rest of the year. I can't imagine handling these cycles, especially with the roses, but they do it.

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 6, 2011
10:21 AM

Post #8612826

This is Florham, the home of Commadore Vanderbilt's daughter, Florence. It is now part of school. It's in NJ, I think.

Thumbnail by woodspirit1

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 6, 2011
10:26 AM

Post #8612833

And this is Cornelius Vanderbilt's "cottage" in Newport, RI. I think it is named Vandy. Probably built around 1885. I find these last 2 homes to be a bit cold and formal, almost institutional.

Thumbnail by woodspirit1

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 6, 2011
10:32 AM

Post #8612853

These are Vanderbilt homes in NYC. The photos were taken in 1882 but the homes are quite a bit older.

Thumbnail by woodspirit1

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

June 6, 2011
11:12 PM

Post #8614517

Birthday Greetings to woodspirit. Have a fine future ahead, in all respects.

Somehow, I've always been fascinated to see old buildings. So nice to see them here. I'll find some too.
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

June 6, 2011
11:15 PM

Post #8614521

Happy birthday, Woodspirit

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 7, 2011
5:35 AM

Post #8614895

Great pictures everyone, I enjoy seeing the mansions, and seeing how the other half lives, as I look around my one bedroom apartment LOL... Happy Birthday Woodspirit :>)
Christine

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 7, 2011
4:31 PM

Post #8616210

thank you all. Today my husband was my garden slave. We went to our little museum, pictured above, and worked all over. While we normally have pretty heavy rainfall, it is very dry here. He watered for about 2 hours. I fed several things including the roses and brugs.
We used this child at a special even called Pioneer Day. She charmed everyone.

Thumbnail by woodspirit1

Sarahskeeper
Brockton, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 7, 2011
3:23 PM

Post #8678829

Thanks everyone for contributing. This is all very interesting.
Let me add another item from the Easton, MA Historical district, also designed by H. H. Richardson.
The Ames family were industrialists, smart and filthy rich. Ever hear of Ames shovels? Check the tool shed if you have old tools. Ames was the largest shovel maker in the world supplying most of the shovels used on the Continental Rail Road and the '49 Gold Rush even WW1.
The factories employed so many people they had their own train station. This has just been refurbished and is now used as the Easton Historical Center. It has two waiting rooms, one for women and another for men.
Andy P

Sarahskeeper
Brockton, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 7, 2011
3:25 PM

Post #8678832

Look at the Station Masters window. It was used to check tracks, and switch settings. The station master sold tickets through other windows inside facing the waiting rooms.
Andy P

grits74571
Talihina, OK

July 23, 2011
6:08 AM

Post #8710344

St.Cyrus and Methodious Russian Orthodox Church located in Hartshorne Ok founded in the mid 1880s by the many Slavic coal miners that worked the coal mines in this area.I have some fairly decent pictures of the inside and will add some of those

Thumbnail by grits74571

grits74571
Talihina, OK

July 23, 2011
6:11 AM

Post #8710348

Yhe inside

Thumbnail by grits74571

grits74571
Talihina, OK

July 23, 2011
6:14 AM

Post #8710353

More from the inside

Thumbnail by grits74571

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

July 23, 2011
12:42 PM

Post #8710919

That is a beautiful church grits. You have taken great pictures.. Thanks for posting them :>)
Christine
grits74571
Talihina, OK

July 24, 2011
6:52 AM

Post #8712085

This thread has really inspired me to get busy and do more historical things watch for the old original Choctaw Capitol building I have some pix of it but want better before posting
grits74571
Talihina, OK

July 24, 2011
7:22 AM

Post #8712120

Not my picture but think some would enjoy will send a copy of the plaque next

Thumbnail by grits74571

grits74571
Talihina, OK

July 24, 2011
7:25 AM

Post #8712125

Pretty interesting hpoe Y'all can read it

Thumbnail by grits74571

grits74571
Talihina, OK

July 24, 2011
7:28 AM

Post #8712128

sorry I thought it gave the location which is in North Carolina if the info that was sent to me is correct ,My friends know of my love of old churches so they send me lots of pix
grits74571
Talihina, OK

July 24, 2011
5:10 PM

Post #8713071

The Original Choctaw Capital Located in Tushkahomma Oklahoma the Choctaw spelling is Tvshka Homma which to the best of my scant knowledge of the Choctaw langauge is Red Warrior I took a lot morepix they are posted in pacasa web albums if anyone would like to see them let me know and I will see about sending a Invite to view my web albums are since they are public my user name is joe74571

Thumbnail by grits74571

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 31, 2011
5:41 PM

Post #8728374

Andy, your little library looks a Carnegie Library. Andrew Carnegie funded them all over the country. They were all beautiful little buildings. Many survive and have been reused for other purposes. Wish I owned one, I'd live in it.
I helped a guy connect with Preservation NC which advertises historic buildings for sale and attaches peservation easements to the deeds. He wanted to know what was available in NC. I found a deserted African-American church in a small town. He ended up buying it and a little house next door where he lived while restoring the church. This was a very satisfying and sucessful sale. No, I'm not a paid employee of the non-profit; I just keep an eye out for them.
I am approaching owners of a large Victorian house that has been for sale for some time, unsuccessully. If they will give Preservation NC some head time as they mail out a quarterly catalog, as well as maintain a website, I think it will be sold.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

August 16, 2011
4:40 AM

Post #8758998

Andy, that's a lovely shot of the arched structure. Interesting about the ticket counter.

Grits, Loved those candle stands of brass. It reminded me of our temples here. We use oil and wick instead of the wax candles. The oil lamp stands come in varied heights and designs, mostly traditional ones. We have a few of those at home in the family heirloom and are in use for festivals and other religious occasions. Will share it some place, may be in the Antiques forum.

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 23, 2011
3:01 PM

Post #8773403

This is the kind of housing the Cherokees traditionally built until they saw log cabins and began to build them. I think they lack the large windows like.
It is called an Ai, same name as a 2-toed sloth.

This message was edited Aug 23, 2011 5:02 PM

Thumbnail by woodspirit1

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 23, 2011
3:05 PM

Post #8773407

oops! posted the Ai twice. Let me see what else I have...
ah, recently donated to the museum, she is about 80 years old.

Thumbnail by woodspirit1

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 25, 2011
8:08 AM

Post #8775978

Wow, someone took great care of that doll, she's beautiful. I like the Ai, it was so well put together. Hope your not in harms way woodspirit, she's heading our way over the weekend !!!!

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 25, 2011
4:10 PM

Post #8776765

No, I live all the way across the state, in the Blue Ridge Mountains. I live in a small picturesque county, with about 250 major waterfalls.
grits74571
Talihina, OK

August 29, 2011
6:43 AM

Post #8782715

Took a few pics of an old courthouse in Waldron Ar. so would like to share the original courthouse was built around 1838 and was destroyed by fire in 1933 if I read the closeby mural right..anyway will send both the courthouse and a pic of the mural

Thumbnail by grits74571

grits74571
Talihina, OK

August 29, 2011
7:54 AM

Post #8782849

This is the mural on an old brick building next to the old courthouse these were taken using a very wide angle lens 'I find the wide angles to be usefull when taken pictures of buildings as it allows me to get close enough to avoid powerlines a street signs as well as cars

Thumbnail by grits74571

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 30, 2011
1:16 AM

Post #8784392

That courthouse reminds me of high schools built in that era.

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 30, 2011
1:27 AM

Post #8784401

This is what's called a historic preservationist's nightmare. It is the Caesar's Head Hotel, named for a nearby mountain. Travelers came up from SC to visit the much cooler air of the mountains in NC. But look what a horrible addition (left) to the original building.

Thumbnail by woodspirit1

grits74571
Talihina, OK

August 30, 2011
4:02 AM

Post #8784484

woodspirit do you know where Fletcher NC. is ?? my son lives in Fletcher
grits74571
Talihina, OK

August 31, 2011
7:35 PM

Post #8787797

McAlester Ok. this is called Chapel on the hill it is very old will post some more ..

Thumbnail by grits74571

grits74571
Talihina, OK

August 31, 2011
7:38 PM

Post #8787801

Just one of the many stained glass windows in the Chapel

Thumbnail by grits74571

grits74571
Talihina, OK

September 1, 2011

Post #8788326

From The Pioneer Miners Memorial in McAlester Oklahoma

Thumbnail by grits74571

grits74571
Talihina, OK

September 1, 2011
7:30 AM

Post #8788331

From The Wall Of Memories that is visible behind the miners statue from looking at the wall a majority were from Italy which is reflected in McAlester's motto "home of Cowboys and Italians "

Thumbnail by grits74571

Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 10, 2011
6:01 PM

Post #8802806

"Cowboys and Italians" They had a interesting/good sense of humor : ) Thanks for the pics Grits. Hope to get up to McAlester for a visit someday.
grits74571
Talihina, OK

September 11, 2011
7:35 AM

Post #8803340

If you ever do make sure to visit Pete's Place quite famous for food as well as the CHOC beer which is/was an old Choctaw recipe dating back to prohibition and is still made on site as well as wonderful Italian food and the whole city is adorned with replica Buffalo statues

Thumbnail by grits74571

Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 13, 2011
12:02 AM

Post #8806237

Thanks, I'll do that. Sounds like a really neat place.

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 15, 2011
5:01 PM

Post #8810119

This is a "gem" pan. It's used for baking little breads, usually ginger gems. But you can always bake them and put preserves in the middle. We had a black man living here in the middle1800s until the 1920s at most. He was quite prosperous having several businesses downtown including a bakery. He called his treats, toothsome dainties. His name was Jim Aiken, father of Loretta Aiken, known to us all as Moms Mabley.
I am looking for a gem pan so I can bake gems for museum functions. Does anyone have one that they are willing to part with?

Thumbnail by woodspirit1

grits74571
Talihina, OK

November 5, 2011
6:23 PM

Post #8878123

Today we went to the Peter Conser Home , a historical Site here in SE Oklahoma for a quilt show and lots of history

Thumbnail by grits74571

grits74571
Talihina, OK

November 5, 2011
6:30 PM

Post #8878133

Many of the partisipants were dressed in period costume and there was lots of demos of work done in the early years in Indian Territory...

Thumbnail by grits74571

grits74571
Talihina, OK

November 5, 2011
6:35 PM

Post #8878137

One more this is one of the Demo quilts meaning it was not entered in the judging as it is a former winner and has won all over the state

Thumbnail by grits74571

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

November 6, 2011
5:40 PM

Post #8879418

grits, sorry forgot your inquiry and just saw it again while scrolling backwards. Yes, I live pretty near Fletcher. I go there to visit Foam and Fabric Outlet. What does your son do here?

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

November 6, 2011
5:46 PM

Post #8879426

This is another acquistion for the museum. It has a little story. An older doctor, who didn't want to have a physical, was talked into it by a younger doctor. It ends up they found a tumor and saved the older doctor's life. So he gave the younger doctor this antique and after the older doctor died at 100, 1900-2000, the younger doctor gave the microscope to us. Doing the happy dance.

Thumbnail by woodspirit1

grits74571
Talihina, OK

November 7, 2011
4:53 PM

Post #8880695

Baling hay from yesteryear

Thumbnail by grits74571

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

November 9, 2011
1:08 PM

Post #8883241

This is a photo I took of President Abraham Lincoln's home located in Springfield Illinois. The Lincolns lived here from 1844 until he was elected President. It was originally only 1 and a half stories but later expanded to 2 stories. It had been restored to the way it appeared in 1860.

We visited in September of 2009. It is a National Historic site operated by the National Parks Dept. and open for tours. I found it hard to believe how small the rooms are and wondered how women moved around in those full dresses of the era.

Thumbnail by nanny_56

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

November 9, 2011
1:12 PM

Post #8883249

The Lincoln Family Crypt located at a nearby cemetery.

Thumbnail by nanny_56

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

November 9, 2011
1:14 PM

Post #8883252

Standing before his crypt was a very humbling and somber moment...

Thumbnail by nanny_56

grits74571
Talihina, OK

November 10, 2011
3:59 AM

Post #8884284

wonderfull thank you for sharing the small rooms are something that amazes me everytime I visit one on these historical sites and the narrow ,steep stairs..

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

November 10, 2011
12:41 PM

Post #8884950

Oh yes...the stairway was so narrow!! They allow you to touch the bannister here as you go upstairs(and that is the only thing!)and to think you are actually touching what they touched is so amazing!

Top of the line stove he bought for Mary.

Thumbnail by nanny_56

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

November 10, 2011
1:51 PM

Post #8885054

What a powerful experience that must have been, nanny. Wonderful photos.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

November 10, 2011
2:02 PM

Post #8885066

It really was. A little early for you isn't it? lol
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

November 10, 2011
2:30 PM

Post #8885091

I've been up for an hour and a half, but yes, I had an early start today.
grits74571
Talihina, OK

December 14, 2011
9:14 AM

Post #8929246

I recently purchaced a small book by a local author about the Overland Mail and it first journeu thru the Indian Territory it is an OK book but it caused me to do some more research in Wikipedia >>The articles in Wikipedia are much more detailed and are fasinating reading so I am thinking that for most any history buff Wiki is the way to go...That being said I will continue to buy books LOL

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 14, 2011
10:50 AM

Post #8929373

Now I'll have to look it up. Do you mean the same service as the Pony Express?
grits74571
Talihina, OK

December 14, 2011
11:51 AM

Post #8929472

No the Pony express was started later the overland mail was founded by Butterfield and was loaned money by Wells Fargo who later foreclosed on it Sound Famiiat???LOL The lady that wrote the book that got me on this little bit of trivia is from nearby Hartshorne Ok and her book mainly concerned the part of the route that came near here ...
grits74571
Talihina, OK

December 14, 2011
11:54 AM

Post #8929475

small world indeed while replying to you my son that lives fairly close to you in Noth Cakalakee as he says called with a garden question ..LOL

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 14, 2011
3:52 PM

Post #8929756

This is an Odd Fellows Stamp. They were the branch of Masons for African-Americans. I'm not sure how old it is; that would take more reseach but I'd say about 80 years old.
grits74571
Talihina, OK

December 15, 2011
6:47 PM

Post #8931240

Did you send a pic of the odd fellows stamp if so it failed to come thru

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 16, 2011
6:31 AM

Post #8931801

Oops!

Thumbnail by woodspirit1

grits74571
Talihina, OK

December 16, 2011
1:03 PM

Post #8932240

Very Interesting about the odd fellows at one time I lived in a town that had an Odd Fellows hall but there were no Blacks living even close to there ...HMMMMM Truth be told I had no Idea what the odd fellows were about
Sarahskeeper
Brockton, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 17, 2012
12:52 PM

Post #9209017

Woodspirit, sorry to take a year to reply, lol. The thread starter shot of the Ames Free Library is NOT a Carnegie library. We have one of them in our city. The Ames Free was commissioned by the former Governor Ames for his town of Easton.

I started riding a bicycle this spring. Any place within 8 miles of home is within range so far. The last notable site I visited was the Edson Grist Mill / War Memorial Park in West Bridgewater, MA. The canals were damaged by floods 18 months ago and the repairs have just started. I snapped some pics for a photo blog which contains links to previous visits. The site was one of the earliest land purchases by the Pilgrims from the Massasoit Indians in 1649. http://dailypics.ning.com/profiles/blogs/650124:BlogPost:1097163

Andy P

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 18, 2012
7:03 AM

Post #9209947

grits, I somehow overlooked your question about Fletcher. The little town had a lot of cute historic cottages, but now are mostly torn down. There was no town planning there. There are some large industrial mills on the outskirts of town. It's about 35 miles from my house. My husband worked for Eaton Corp. They made transmissions for forklift trucks.
Here is a photo of a historic designation that I just complete. It is called The Lodge and sits on 6+ acres with a nice stream and pond. It was built by a textile industrialist (there were a lot of textile plants in S.C.) who came to the mountains to escape the heat. It has a great hall and looks like one of the main buildings in some of the camps here. The amazing thing about it is, although built in 1934, it is shingled with American Chestnut. The mighty chestnut started dying out in the 1890s in the north and that blight spread down The Appalachians throught the 1920s. However, the wood was very hardy and continued to be logged through the 1950s. It was used as a retreat for industrialists, a hunting lodge and a private residence which it is now.

This message was edited Jul 18, 2012 9:07 AM

Thumbnail by woodspirit1   Thumbnail by woodspirit1   Thumbnail by woodspirit1   Thumbnail by woodspirit1   Thumbnail by woodspirit1
Click an image for an enlarged view.

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 18, 2012

Post #9209992

oops, I added one pic twice and left out one. This pic gives you an idea of how immense the Great Hall is by the size of the fireplace.

Thumbnail by woodspirit1

grits74571
Talihina, OK

August 20, 2012
7:03 PM

Post #9248363

strange these pix kept popping up on a screen saver And I could never figure out where they came from until I saw your copyright at the top of one Thanks for messing with my head LOL wonderful pix
Sarahskeeper
Brockton, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 18, 2012
10:24 AM

Post #9278924

Hi folks. My subscription to Daves expires soon. I will not be renewing it, I'm not here enough any more.
It's been 7 years. You can always find me at my photo site http://dailypics.ning.com/
Be well.
Andy P
grits74571
Talihina, OK

October 1, 2012
5:40 AM

Post #9291829

Some pix of an old steel bridge as well as a swing bridge near the Historic town of Antlers Oklahoma,the old bridges are being replace with more mordern concrete bridges and are fast disapearing from our landscape Sorry the swing bridge would not finish the download

Thumbnail by grits74571   Thumbnail by grits74571         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

October 1, 2012
2:59 PM

Post #9292624

Yeah, it's sad to see those bridges go. They have interesting patterns. Some places are turning those old rail road track areas and bridges into walking paths so they are still useful and give people a place to exercise.

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 4, 2012
7:07 AM

Post #9295553

This is where my family lived when I was born in NYC, 1943. My dad and most of his brothers left Dillon SC, which was a little tobacco/cotton town and moved up there and went into the hotel business. This is the Cornish Arms, now a condo or co-op of some sort.

Thumbnail by woodspirit1

grits74571
Talihina, OK

October 5, 2012
10:04 AM

Post #9296609

For what it is worth >> there is a movie now being in Oklahoma it will be called August In Pawnee County with Meryl Streep and Julia Roberts and is said to feature several historic buildings should be good to see if only for the old buildings PS a friend is an extra or rather his pick up is and extra..
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

October 5, 2012
9:27 PM

Post #9297159

Will be watching for that movie and see what it's about. Thanks for the heads up Grits. How you been liking the cooler temps lately? We Texomans were so glad to see the hot stuff leave so we could get out of buildings (air cond.).
grits74571
Talihina, OK

October 6, 2012
6:25 PM

Post #9297843

cooler temps are a double edged sword for me I have a Moonflower that is almost ready to bloom and I think it would have bloomed tonight but it was so cold a gloomy all day that it is going to need at least one more bright sunny day ..It blooms at night so will just keep it covered till the sun makes another showing..PS it is purple

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 7, 2012
5:04 PM

Post #9298961

I am holding my breath over the weather too. I have some angel trumpets with huge buds and ready to bloom at any minute. We are going to be down in the 40s or maybe even as low as upper 30s over the next few days.
I will take cuttings as soon as the flush is over.
Does this bore you? This is the 2nd hotel I lived in, still very young and don't remember. it is called the Holly Chambers and is also apartments now.

Thumbnail by woodspirit1

grits74571
Talihina, OK

October 9, 2012
5:23 AM

Post #9300357

Not to worry nothing about pictures is ever boring Help me about here a little you said you were going to take cuttings ,then what? Do you then over winter indoors or what..This purple one is in a barrel type planter so was easy for me to move to the back porch using a hand truck once frost comes in a killing mode i will take back to the yard and bury under a huge pile of leaves..

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 9, 2012
7:01 AM

Post #9300438

I'm not sure what agricultural zone you are in. I was listed as 6B but the climate has warmed a bit and we are generally in 7A. However, anywhere there is killing frost to your annuals, it will kill your angel trumpet also. So I cut them down, cut it into pieces about 10 inches long and put them in water (make sure they're right side up) and keep them indoors. Then after about 2 weeks or more, they will develop roots. When the roots are a couple of inches or more long, put them in individual pots and keep them through the winter. They will put on leaves and be able to be planted outdoors in the spring, after all danger of frost has passed.
Remember, these plants are tropical, from South America, and cannot abide any freezing temps.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Photos Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the photo forum! dave 34 May 3, 2013 10:18 AM
My tractor and I, Part II dave 52 Sep 27, 2009 7:18 PM
Spring Spring! and my bowling ball! nicole_in_nc 6 Apr 21, 2010 3:35 PM
Riesentraube tomatoes dave 4 Feb 9, 2008 3:25 AM
It's a Bird...It's a Plane....It's Superdave! gardenwife 27 Nov 18, 2007 7:53 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America