Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Landscaping: Economical but reliable mail-order suppliers?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Landscaping
bookmark
Forum: Beginner LandscapingReplies: 4, Views: 65
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
corevans
Centerville, UT

May 10, 2011
8:27 PM

Post #8553718

I will be doing a complete re-landscaping of my large yard, involving hundreds of flowers, bushes, trees, bulbs, etc. In order for it to be affordable for me, I was going to heavily use a couple of the leading cheap mail-order outfits (one starts with a B, the other with an M), but then I fortunately saw the TONS of negative feedback here at Dave's regarding them. So then I started looking at the highly rated ones here. But as most of you probably know, there are hundreds. So my question for you all is if you have any recommendations that meet all three of the following conditions: 1) large all-around plant offerings (not specialized); 2) prices better than just going to the local nursery; and 3) generally positive member comments. Does anyone out there have any recommendations for me?

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 10, 2011
8:42 PM

Post #8553761

Well you can't go wrong with any of the Watchdog 30, those are the most highly rated companies
I LOVE Bluestone Perennials, their plants may be small to start but grow by leaps and bounds and if there is a problem they will refund your $ or send replacement

For bulbs Van Engelen has mass quantity bulbs, less expensive than getting smaller quantities

I recommend checking out the trade lists, the classifieds and the co-ops on DG or Ebay
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 10, 2011
9:26 PM

Post #8553836

Are you willing to live with really small plants and be patient, or are you hoping to get things the size that you would buy at a local nursery? Things that you get from mail order can sometimes appear cheaper, but it's because the plants tend to be much smaller. So if size of the plant is a factor, you'll get more for your money at a local nursery. But if you're willing to buy something that's small and wait for it to grow, or if you like a lot of plants that you can't find locally then mail order is your best bet. (if you want the larger size, you might see if a local nursery could give you a deal if you're going to buy a ton of plants from them)

In addition to what flowAjen mentioned, High Country Gardens is a good mail order nursery that specializes in plants for dry western climates, and Forest Farm is a good place for trees/shrubs and also has perennials. Both have a wide range of different plants.
TeacherAmy
Fort Mill, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 16, 2011
4:22 PM

Post #8567738

Thanks for the heads-up on the "Watchdog 30". I'm brand-new to gardening and have been much less than impressed by my experiences with the "B" catalog nursery the original poster mentioned. I'm off to look at the others!!
LordsNursery
Lake Placid, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 18, 2011
7:00 PM

Post #8572747

everyone gave great advice

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Landscaping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Landscaping forum! dave 65 Dec 11, 2011 8:57 PM
Landscape Transformation - join me! LarissaH 7 Mar 4, 2007 10:31 PM
Hello everyone, I'm new , and I need some landscaping help. Mrsfed04 32 Mar 9, 2012 9:12 PM
Encourage growth to Arborvitae carbo3595 15 Jul 2, 2010 8:11 PM
Update on our lanscaping situation. Mrsfed04 8 Jun 12, 2011 11:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America