Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Landscaping: Retaining Wall

Communities > Forums > Beginner Landscaping
bookmark
Forum: Beginner LandscapingReplies: 5, Views: 84
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
DHaley5166
Aiken, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 11, 2011
6:55 AM

Post #8554336

Hi all... I have a sloping backyard I am hoping to add a 2ft brick retaining wall to create an area for a firepit. I've used this area for a couple of years but it's just not level or functional. I just removed 6 pine stumps from the area. I've had a 12x5 area staked out but have a few concerns.

First is this wall going to interfere with my Dogwood tree? If I add steps will it hurt the roots or eventually damage the steps? I am also concerned with drainage issues as this is an area in my yard that gets most of the water. I'm just not sure I've allowed enough room for the wall.

Thanks in advance for any Help or Advice you can give me.. I've attached a picture

Thumbnail by DHaley5166
Click the image for an enlarged view.

DHaley5166
Aiken, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 11, 2011
6:56 AM

Post #8554340

Another picture from a different view

Thumbnail by DHaley5166

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 11, 2011
9:58 AM

Post #8554727

DHaley

Welcome to DG. You will find a lot of really nice people here.

How far away will the end of the steps and the retaining wall be from the tree? Perspective being what it is, it is difficult to tell from the pictures. Also, how much foot traffic do you think you will be getting between the wall and the tree?
DHaley5166
Aiken, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 11, 2011
10:15 AM

Post #8554745

Thanks for responding. I will be adding two steps that will start a foot from the tree and be 3 feet across. I expect to get very little traffic in that area. I may get heavy traffic when I entertain there a few times a year. I love this dogwood and I'm trying to think of the future location of roots and damage I may cause

Thumbnail by DHaley5166

seamjay
Lancashire
United Kingdom

May 12, 2011
4:14 AM

Post #8557094

Hi DHaley

With regard to the drainage issues. (I'm from the UK so you may need to translate some of the terms I use).
When you dig out for, and build your wall, leave about a shovel width clear behind the wall.
There are then alternative things you can do.

1.Filling the back of the wall with clean 1" stones will reduce the ground pressure on the wall. you can then replace your turf back on top of this. Leaving a hole every 3'0" at ground level through the wall on the lower side will let this drain out.

2.Alternatively you can place a length of 4" flexible land drain pipe in the bottom of your trench before filling with the stone and run this below ground in the lower area to a place where it can discharge.

If drainage in the lower area may be a problem then use method 2 but where you run the pipe underground, do this about 1'0" deep, put about 6" of clean stone over it and again replace your turf on top.
DHaley5166
Aiken, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 12, 2011
5:31 AM

Post #8557197

Seamjay,

Thank you!! Method 2 looks like my best solution to the drainage.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Landscaping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Landscaping forum! dave 65 Dec 11, 2011 8:57 PM
Landscape Transformation - join me! LarissaH 7 Mar 4, 2007 10:31 PM
Hello everyone, I'm new , and I need some landscaping help. Mrsfed04 32 Mar 9, 2012 9:12 PM
Encourage growth to Arborvitae carbo3595 15 Jul 2, 2010 8:11 PM
Update on our lanscaping situation. Mrsfed04 8 Jun 12, 2011 11:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America