Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Frosted Frolic or Frozen in Time?

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

I bought this AV from a local nursery last year. The AVs at the nursery were supplied by Old Dominion African Violet Society. This one was labeled as Frozen in Time, but there was another one looking the same but labeled as Frosted Frolic. I think labels fell off at the nursery and were put back into the wrong pots sometimes.

This photo was taken in high light. The flowers actually have more green than it shows in the photo. Can anybody please help to ID this AV? Thanks!!!

Thumbnail by donnerville
(tish) near Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I think they are simular. You can go to avsa.org on the left click on photographs and you can see pictures of each one and compare.

(Lynn) Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

It looks a lot more like 'Frosty Frolic'.

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

Thank you both for the comments.

Lynn, I read about Frozen in Time somewhere a while back. It was said that the flowers were white, but COULD be lavender sometimes :-(. Very confusing. The description of Frosty Frolic on this site http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/131579/ mentions semi-double flowers. The flowers on my plant are not considered semi-double, are they?

Thanks.

Thumbnail by donnerville
Sanbornton, NH

I just looked both of these plants up in the AVSA's First Class database. The Frozen in Time pictures show whitish flowers with a very definite and wide green border on each petal. The Frosty Frolic pictures show a predominantly lavender flower. It does not show the bordering seen on yours. I hope I haven't muddied the waters too much.

Earle G

It may not be either.Frosty Frolic has a cupped pansy blossom.Frozen In Time is a star and sometimes has lavender markings.I'm pretty sure it is not Frozen In Time.

Lynn

What makes it really tricky is that Frosty Frolic is a sport of Frozen In Time!

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

It's a pretty one! So glad to see you posting, Sally :) Hope things are slowing down a bit for you with traveling...maybe?

Connie

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the response, everybody. It is a pretty plant regardless. Maybe I can gate-crash the Old Dominion AV Society summer BBQ party and ask the person who sold this plant to ID it for me :-).

Connie, things are still crazy at work -- thanks for asking. AVs love my office though. I have a very large sunny window :-) So far I have kept the promise of not getting out of control with too many AVs and streps, but the number of plants is creeping up slowly. Since I cannot do much garden work this year, my attention is all on my AVs. I told my boss that I didn't need a window office. I just needed a window :-).

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

LOL!! That was good, Sally. Windows help (grin) Stay in touch :)

Connie

Montgomery, AL

That is beautiful. My two cents- it doesn't look like my frozen in time which is white/green stars. I'd rather have the lavender.

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

My vote is Frosty Frolic.

Yes, Frozen In Time can have the lavender tinge at times, but not on the level of what your picture shows. I grow Frozen In Time, and I get maybe 1 in 10 blossoms with lavender in them.

If you go to the LLG website, and view the standard list . . . you will see both of them next to each other.

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

Many thanks to you all. I call cautiously call it Frosty Frolic for now :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.