Photo by Melody

African Violets and Gesneriads: Frosted Frolic or Frozen in Time?

Communities > Forums > African Violets and Gesneriads
bookmark
Forum: African Violets and GesneriadsReplies: 12, Views: 118
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 11, 2011
7:30 AM

Post #8554398

I bought this AV from a local nursery last year. The AVs at the nursery were supplied by Old Dominion African Violet Society. This one was labeled as Frozen in Time, but there was another one looking the same but labeled as Frosted Frolic. I think labels fell off at the nursery and were put back into the wrong pots sometimes.

This photo was taken in high light. The flowers actually have more green than it shows in the photo. Can anybody please help to ID this AV? Thanks!!!

Thumbnail by donnerville
Click the image for an enlarged view.

lilypad22
(tish) near Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 11, 2011
8:47 AM

Post #8554573

I think they are simular. You can go to avsa.org on the left click on photographs and you can see pictures of each one and compare.
lbrabec
(Lynn) Omaha, NE
(Zone 5a)

May 11, 2011
10:28 AM

Post #8554770

It looks a lot more like 'Frosty Frolic'.

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 11, 2011
12:27 PM

Post #8555064

Thank you both for the comments.

Lynn, I read about Frozen in Time somewhere a while back. It was said that the flowers were white, but COULD be lavender sometimes :-(. Very confusing. The description of Frosty Frolic on this site http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/131579/ mentions semi-double flowers. The flowers on my plant are not considered semi-double, are they?

Thanks.

Thumbnail by donnerville
Click the image for an enlarged view.

EarleG
Sanbornton, NH

May 11, 2011
12:51 PM

Post #8555120

I just looked both of these plants up in the AVSA's First Class database. The Frozen in Time pictures show whitish flowers with a very definite and wide green border on each petal. The Frosty Frolic pictures show a predominantly lavender flower. It does not show the bordering seen on yours. I hope I haven't muddied the waters too much.

Earle G
lbrabec
(Lynn) Omaha, NE
(Zone 5a)

May 11, 2011
1:06 PM

Post #8555140

It may not be either.Frosty Frolic has a cupped pansy blossom.Frozen In Time is a star and sometimes has lavender markings.I'm pretty sure it is not Frozen In Time.

Lynn
lbrabec
(Lynn) Omaha, NE
(Zone 5a)

May 11, 2011
2:32 PM

Post #8555279

What makes it really tricky is that Frosty Frolic is a sport of Frozen In Time!
aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

May 11, 2011
4:01 PM

Post #8556188

It's a pretty one! So glad to see you posting, Sally :) Hope things are slowing down a bit for you with traveling...maybe?

Connie

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 11, 2011
6:52 PM

Post #8556559

Thanks for the response, everybody. It is a pretty plant regardless. Maybe I can gate-crash the Old Dominion AV Society summer BBQ party and ask the person who sold this plant to ID it for me :-).

Connie, things are still crazy at work -- thanks for asking. AVs love my office though. I have a very large sunny window :-) So far I have kept the promise of not getting out of control with too many AVs and streps, but the number of plants is creeping up slowly. Since I cannot do much garden work this year, my attention is all on my AVs. I told my boss that I didn't need a window office. I just needed a window :-).
aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

May 11, 2011
7:21 PM

Post #8556615

LOL!! That was good, Sally. Windows help (grin) Stay in touch :)

Connie
jamiew
Montgomery, AL

May 11, 2011
7:33 PM

Post #8556652

That is beautiful. My two cents- it doesn't look like my frozen in time which is white/green stars. I'd rather have the lavender.
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

May 11, 2011
9:33 PM

Post #8556878

My vote is Frosty Frolic.

Yes, Frozen In Time can have the lavender tinge at times, but not on the level of what your picture shows. I grow Frozen In Time, and I get maybe 1 in 10 blossoms with lavender in them.

If you go to the LLG website, and view the standard list . . . you will see both of them next to each other.

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 12, 2011
4:16 PM

Post #8558678

Many thanks to you all. I call cautiously call it Frosty Frolic for now :-)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other African Violets and Gesneriads Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My Brag of the Day... MsCritterkeeper 17 Jun 6, 2007 2:14 PM
advice on TRAILERS from Violet Gallery critterologist 57 Feb 5, 2010 9:56 PM
test thread for sticky, never mind me begoniacrazii 90 Apr 11, 2011 3:40 PM
All Other Gesneriad Care & Related Links begoniacrazii 2 Apr 11, 2011 3:15 PM
Streptocarpus seedling progress Keyring 127 Jun 9, 2007 2:52 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America