Photo by Melody

Water Gardens: Remember my first year ponding and the fish dying . . .?

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 39, Views: 372
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 11, 2011
10:56 AM

Post #8554833

Just thought I would update a little . . .

Thumbnail by mothermole
Click the image for an enlarged view.

mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 11, 2011
10:57 AM

Post #8554837

Another snap shot . . .

Thumbnail by mothermole

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 11, 2011
11:38 AM

Post #8554948

Looking healthy, Linda. Keep the pictures coming..
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

May 11, 2011
12:09 PM

Post #8555017

Great pictures. What is on the bottom of your pond? slate??
mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 11, 2011
3:26 PM

Post #8555593

Slate? Wow, that is far too fancy for my pond. Just a liner (with a lot of wrinkles like me) . . .

That first picture of that orange and white fish was just a cheapo from Petsmart that was barely bigger than an inch last spring. Now she is referred to as the begging dog with fins-she really turned out pretty with her huge fins.

Thumbnail by mothermole

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 11, 2011
4:10 PM

Post #8556220

Linda

Very nice. I really like the 'begging dog with fins'... how many fish do you have?
mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 11, 2011
4:15 PM

Post #8556240

about 20. all koi with one feeder comet. He's is the lonely guy-he doesn't school with the koi. . .

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

May 11, 2011
4:42 PM

Post #8556314

I lose track of who I have asked what, so please forgive repetition. I am trying to decide if I want to remove the gravel from my pond but worry what it will look like. My pond ranges from 30" to 4', about 18' long and 10' wide. How deep is your pond. the liner doesn't just jump out at you and scream "rubber bottom!!"

I wonder what the Japanese or Chinese translation of 'begging dog with fins' would be? Will have to ask my daughter to find out. She is zen buddhist so has Japanese speaking friends.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 11, 2011
4:47 PM

Post #8556325

MS

The bottom of your pond will 'grey over'. I don't have any of the gravel or stones in my pond. I think the stones and gravel make it harder to clean. The bottom of my pond looks pretty much like Linda's except for the area I have my waterlilies.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

May 11, 2011
8:25 PM

Post #8556760

Carolyn, I cannot tell you how much I love the pictures of your fish. They are so beautiful. I kind of run out of words to express how lovely and neat and facinating they are. so sounds like the gravel goes.

I have just dug out a 12-18" ditch and buried flat stones upright to make a little terrace on my hill by the pond. I am so tired I haven't the energy to spell check 'facinating'...time to clean up and get a glass of vino...for all the aches and pains.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 12, 2011
11:47 AM

Post #8557986

MS

Thank you. You must be exhausted...
tootsie
Bay City, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 12, 2011
3:11 PM

Post #8558564

H Linda and Carolyn
Thank You for the wonderful pictures)
Tootsie

This message was edited Jun 7, 2011 9:25 AM

Thumbnail by tootsie

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

May 12, 2011
3:39 PM

Post #8558617

Doesn't look like much from a distance, but it will hold water on the garden better. gives it a little style. not just a dirt hill. course blooming plants would help. there is a row of about 20 lilies in a semicircle behind the bench; LaReve, Casa Blanca, Mona Lisa, Reinesse.

Thumbnail by Oberon46

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

May 12, 2011
3:46 PM

Post #8558623

Yuk. Looks like a desert. this looks better. July 16, 2010

Thumbnail by Oberon46

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

May 12, 2011
3:48 PM

Post #8558628

Last one. This was taken in the rain August 4, 2010

Thumbnail by Oberon46

mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 14, 2011
4:39 PM

Post #8562968

I took out my rocks because of al the bacteria and fish death I had there. My pond is a little deeper than 4 feet now. Originally is was 3 1/2' deep with stones. I redug and put in bottom drain and took out rocks and -what do you know-low maintence fish now . . .

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

May 14, 2011
6:14 PM

Post #8563106

I wish I had known about a bottom drain when I had my pond redug and made bigger. Too late now. but the gravel is an issue. I can at least get that stuff out. time to get out the waders and lower the pond level
mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 14, 2011
6:44 PM

Post #8563180

It doesn't take a lot to fix bottom drains. New liners and the drain and labor. One day work possibly 1.5 days with a crew of three men . . . That was what it was for mine. I also added aeration in on my bottom drain-that runs all year round.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

May 15, 2011
1:14 PM

Post #8564613

I have huge boulders lining my pond from four feet to 3feet deep. They needed a front end loader to place them and three men down in the hole to wrestle them into place with the help of the loader. And they sit on top of the liner. It would be tantamount to totally rebuilding the pond, and I did that twice, well. Once to build and once to rebuild. The second round was a tad over $10k. I expect it will come in at around $7k just to fix the front end of the pond, replace the putting green with pavers and garden. And that is the absolute LAST hurrah for this yard.
agedgardener
Fredericton N B
Canada
(Zone 4a)

May 15, 2011
1:45 PM

Post #8564664

Mystella you must be rich!! I have been feeling guilty for spending $1000 for upkeep this year.Now I don't feel so extravagant JOY
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

May 15, 2011
5:14 PM

Post #8565303

No, not rich. We don't have expensive toys, pretty much never travel, I shop for clothes at Value Village, etc. We pick and choose what we want to spend money on. Our house is paid for, my husband's truck is 20 years old. Shoot, we sound like misers. My biggest expenditure is books, and I get as many as I can from the used book store. My yard and pond is my big expense and I have been blessed that my DH is willing to 'invest' in that for my sake. It brings me a lot of joy and exercise. lol.
SongsofJoy
New Hampshire, NH
(Zone 5b)

May 15, 2011
5:22 PM

Post #8565324

mstella - just beautiful!
agedgardener
Fredericton N B
Canada
(Zone 4a)

May 15, 2011
5:43 PM

Post #8565388

Mystella, Just kidding. We all have our priorities.I take a lot of flak for my garden but it keeps me happy.Do y ou think the longer days you have in the summer makes up for the shorter season in the north?
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 15, 2011
6:44 PM

Post #8565549

I dont have a bottom drain either. We do make up with a lot of filtration in our pond...

Songs - have not heard from you in a very long time. How are you? Please post some pictures of your pond - you have the most amazing waterfalls. It looks so natural.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

May 15, 2011
7:02 PM

Post #8565601

I know you were kidding. Didn't mean to sound so defensive. :) The long days make it possible to have a decent garden when the season is so short. things all but literally grow before you eyes. Peonies can gain inches in a day. Does it make up for the long months of cold and dark. No. Not to me. Like everyone here, I start getting desperate around March to see something green growing out of the dirt -- except there is no dirt. Just snow - everywhere. I look at my pictures from years past to keep my head on straight about when things are supposed to begin to grow and then to bloom. I am always surprised when I look at pictures of my garden in say late July and it is full of color and green... I spend so much time looking at each little plant, comparing its growth to last year that I forget to just step back and look at the whole picture. And take pride in how it looks. Not like anyone else's garden; not lush and deep green like so many here; I have lots of bare brown spots, and it drives me nuts. I want every single inch covered with growing things. Yup. Desperate is a good word for it.

Thumbnail by Oberon46

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

May 15, 2011
7:04 PM

Post #8565606

Carolyn, is that what your pond looks like right now? so very green??
SongsofJoy
New Hampshire, NH
(Zone 5b)

May 15, 2011
7:17 PM

Post #8565656

Hi Carolyn! Yes, I had not been very active for a long while. I went back to school for my Master's and, between that and a full-time job, I had very little time to post (or garden!). Here's a photo from last year after I redid the main waterfall.

.BTW - mothermole, your fish are gorgeous. So glad to hear your early pond troubles are behind you.

Thumbnail by SongsofJoy

mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 16, 2011
12:22 AM

Post #8565935

Song-beautiful picture of your pond-thanks for sharing it!

BTW: I had a $400.00 electric bill last month. That is the combined total of what I paid in August and September last year. Of course, husband blames the pond, and I blame the "lack of Solar panels . . ." Any ideas on why it would be so high-did the rates change????
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 16, 2011
4:32 AM

Post #8566089

MS - yes, I took that photo last night. I wanted to get some pictures with the cherry tree and the Louisa crab in flower. The flowers won't be on the trees much longer.

There is a lady in Alaska that is zone 1 that is on DG. She has all her lily bulbs in pots and she is on the lily forum. You may want to dmail her. I can send you her DG ID if you would like.

Songs - I am glad you are back. Sounds as if your schedule has been quite full. I have thought about going back to school, but it just doesn't seem to happen. I am about 4 credits short of my bachelors' degree.

Linda - I totally agree with you - it is the lack of solar panels. I don't know about your state, but they took the cap off the electric here - this year it is supposed to go up 20%, then next year another 20% and the following year, another 20%. DH and I have already decided that when I can finally retire, we are moving. We will have to build another pond then ^:-)^
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

May 16, 2011
2:31 PM

Post #8567502

My gosh Carolyn. I can't believe your electric rates. I would move too. I bet the lady in a zone 1 is chocolate Moose. I believe she lives in North Pole about 11 miles east of Fairbanks. Have chatted with her a bit. While she is a zone 1 her summers are much hotter and dryer than ours here in Anchorage (350 miles south). they are always way ahead of us in gardens. Course we don't get -50 below down here. had enough of that when I lived there. Rarely hits -20 down here. So it's a trade off.

Song, your pond looks something out of Better Homes and Gardens. Unreal it is so beautiful. Back to the drawing board I guess. lol. And you are in New Hampshire.
mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 6, 2011
11:26 PM

Post #8614526

Songs-beautiful picture of your pond-all lush and inviting-is that current?
SongsofJoy
New Hampshire, NH
(Zone 5b)

June 7, 2011
3:13 AM

Post #8614664

Thanks mstella and mother mole. That picture is from last July. I haven't taken any yet this year. I guess I tend to photograph the pond when the astilbe are blooming and forget the rest of the year!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

June 7, 2011
4:50 AM

Post #8614800

Songs - so very pretty. I have more astilbe that need to be planted out - I already have astilbe by the pond, but am now thinking that perhaps I should find another place by the pond.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

June 10, 2011
9:03 PM

Post #8623303

I would love to plant astilbe by my pond but it is full out in the sun. No shade at all. I drool over those pictures of ponds with ferns, astilbe, bleeding heart, hakonea grass... so lush and lovely. When the guys finally shoiw up to fix my pond, I may see if they can give me a little bit of a shelving for stuff I can put into the pond edges. Right now it is either all in or all out.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

June 11, 2011
4:40 PM

Post #8624525

Oh MS, what all are you going to have them do to your pond?
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

June 12, 2011
8:56 AM

Post #8625512

the big rock that rims the shallow end ( and probably all around the pond rim) as sunk. In at least one spot it has sunk and taken the pond liner with it so that when the pond is full it is in danger of overrunning. Also, as the rock as settled on the bottom layer, the top ones have fallen away from the pond as their bases have become unsecure. Plus it just looks like, well, crap. They just put in the big stones, threw gravel at it and called it good. I had them come back the next year to make the pond larger and deeper, asked for a flat edge and flat pavers to give me a cleaner edge on the shallow side. No soap. So now, the third try. The new company will have to drain the pond down to about 2.5' in the deep end (seriously stressing the fish, but I can't catch them to get them out.) They will still be wading in a few inches of water probably while they remove all the rock from around about half the pond and replacing it with 12"x7"x4' slabs on the bottom to form the base for the 18"x4"x4' upright slabs. then they are replacing the walkway around the edge out about 3' with the flat pavers I have always wanted. Real stone, not cement man made ones This will cut out a bunch of the nasty uneven rock with gravel that goes everywhere and replace it with more garden area. Also replacing the putting green that is next to the pond with part pavers and the rest converted to graden. I have one or two other chores (replacing three trees the prior guys put in without breaking up the root balls so they never really grew in the last 3 years, and building up the back of the little hillock to the left of the pond using the large stones removed from the pond as support, then filling with garden soil. Again, the prior outfit just dredged out the pond, rock and all, covered it with bark and said I could just rake back the bark to garden. So I have been trying to garden in rock for three years. And it looks like, well, crap with all the rock working to the surface.

Kind of a long explanation. I will post before and after pictures. In fact, will take some detailed ones today as the weather looks promising.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

June 12, 2011
10:21 AM

Post #8625645

good - I was going to ask you to post before and after pictures. sounds like a major overhaul.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

June 12, 2011
10:34 AM

Post #8625664

Not as much as making the pond bigger the second year, but pretty extensive. I pray it is the last. It WILL be the last. What a money pit. I am very fortunate to have a loving and sympathetic husband. My pond and garden are the most important things in my life (is that a sad comment?) next to him of course. And he knows it. He even helps with heavy pond maintenance, and makes helpful suggestions about the garden (large stuff like trees and rocks) when he isn't working 7 days a week. I took the before pics and will post them today later. Need to process fish just now. Oppps. Better not let my koi and goldies hear that. rotfl.
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

June 12, 2011
12:00 PM

Post #8625827

Just make sure you inspect your liner for tears, as once they leave you would probably be out on that. I would stand around supervising their work if I was able.

I was tickled to read your sad comment confession, it makes me feel more normal lol.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

June 12, 2011
1:14 PM

Post #8625929

that was my mistake last time. I would go out to check on them every so often, but didn't want to peer over their shoulders all the time as it seemed rude. By the time I would get out there they would have a critical part done and too late to change, although I did make them dig up a bunch of stones and rearrange them in the gravel to at least mitigate how much it WASN'T what I wanted. My fault.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 345 Apr 13, 2014 11:22 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America