Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Roses: Rose hasn't leafed out

Communities > Forums > Roses
bookmark
Forum: RosesReplies: 6, Views: 76
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
LAS14
Albany, ME
(Zone 4b)

May 11, 2011
12:28 PM

Post #8555072

I have 4 climbers and four shrub roses on my deck in Boston. There's a lot of wind, and all were wrapped in burlap. To my surprise all the climbers kept their canes and are now leafed out (usually we lose some). Two of the shrubs seem pretty dead, but one is all leafed out and another has green branches and what seem like live (soft) buds, but it hasn't leafed out. What might cause this? We had no late freezes hard enough to kill roses (note climbers and other shrub). The shrubs are the same kind... I'm having a senior moment about the name.

TIA
LAS
Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 23, 2011
8:03 PM

Post #8650384

What have they done since ? any buds or blooms ?
LAS14
Albany, ME
(Zone 4b)

June 24, 2011
4:24 PM

Post #8652392

The one with "some green" has burst forth with a lot of growth. The two that looked dead are dead.
Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 25, 2011
4:58 AM

Post #8653202

Glad to hear that some of them are alive :-)

I assume they're planted in large pots or barrels ? roses in pots need special attention not only to water them often but also fertilizing them more often .

If they're Hybrid teas or Floribunda's they need winter protection especially in pots if they were left out during winter.Always plant roses in our climate deep.Plant the grafted bud union 4 inches BELOW soil level.That not only protects them but it could be that they eventually grow on their own roots.
Do they get several hours of sun every day ?
LAS14
Albany, ME
(Zone 4b)

June 25, 2011
8:32 AM

Post #8653580

They are in large pots and we do water and fertilize for that situation. The mystery isn't why some died (very difficult on an open deck, lots of wind) but that the climbers (more fragile) survived beautifully, while most of the Bonicas died completely. When I say completely I mean no seductive green stems in the spring that finally die. Just dead.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 26, 2011
7:20 PM

Post #8656610

Oddly, all my climbers come through. Even Zephirine Drouhin, which is completely exposed on the north side of my 5a yard. Quadra, Constance Spry and Tess of the D'Ubervilles come out of winter with 95% of their canes, also unprotected. . But I can't keep a floribunda or grandiflora no matter what I do - 4 Icebergs, 4 Crimson Bouquets. Burlap, mulch, no matter. The same treatment to the fragile Glamis Castle produces a plant that leafs out early, blooms early and continues through fall.
Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 27, 2011
5:15 AM

Post #8657123

All of my Bonica's are doing good,not great but good,then a couple more FL.GR never did live for me and HT around here are known to be bought as an annual.It's a shame but that's how it is I guess.
ALL of my CL are alive but had to cut down EDEN very low .

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Roses Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A Rose Bush Called Betty Boop Carol7 20 Jun 5, 2014 10:15 AM
Rose Hip/Seed Question Bloomer 7 Oct 23, 2009 10:35 PM
I Maimed my Zepherine Droughin Climber! :o( gardenwife 20 Jul 30, 2012 11:17 AM
Bayer Rose & Flower Care paulgrow 27 Sep 19, 2012 6:34 AM
Any such thing as a blue rose? discodancer4 11 Mar 7, 2010 11:06 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America