Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

SOLVED: Name this salvia

High Springs, FL(Zone 8b)

I heard this referred to as a Sapphire Salvia, but I'd like the botanical name. Thanks!

Thumbnail by Amaryllisgal
Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

it could be Salvia patens which only reaches 18 inches

or 'Indigo Spires'which is a hybrid between S farinacea and S longispicata. this plant grows to 5 feet

Mark

FSH, TX

hmm, what is there over 500 species/varieties of Salvia?...Does anyone know?

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Am. Gal
It sure looks like guaranitica old fashioned blue. I collect salvias and have this one. It gets about 4-6 feet tall and starts blooming heaviest in the late summer/early fall. Here is a photo of it.http://forsyth.ces.state.nc.us/staff/cmauney/graphics/anisesage.jpg

Cape May Court House, NJ(Zone 7a)

Calalily that is pretty! How come I don't have that one? Did you ask me about forsythia sage once before? If so e-mail me! sue

Calalily, I believe you're right - it certainly looks like the plant in your photo. Thanks!

Newberry, FL(Zone 8B)

Hi, norma, i thought guarantica too. cala is a good bet to know those plants! it is a really pretty one.

Petaluma, CA

Might be S.g.'Argentine Skies.'

Too dark for Argentina Skies. It's pale blue.

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Looks like "Blue Anise Sage" - Salvia guaranitica, a Georgia Gold Medal winner in 1995. I have it too and love it, every one that sees it wants it.

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

So pretty color royal blue lovely flower.

Oakland, CA(Zone 10b)

Is it at all invasive? If so, it could be Blue Bog Sage (Salvia Uliginosa). You can see a picture of it in the Plant Delights online catalog at:
http://www.plantdelights.com/Catalog/Current/page79.html
(It's all the way at the bottom of the page)

THGA

Lake City, FL(Zone 8b)

HI Norma - I think I have that plant and of course the tag only said "Midnight Blue Salvia" It's a wonderful plant and mine has gotten leggy and over 5 foot high.

I always cut the salvia guaranitica back after the first flush of blooms. I cut it to about a foot high, it reblooms and is bushier and shorter.

Thanks for all the comments, folks! (Been out of town for 4 days and am trying to catch up.)

THGA - I haven't had this very long so I can't tell if it's invasive, though I wouldn't mind if it is! I saw some bog sage at a plant sale recently and it's a little different. Also, I've been told that bog sage needs moist soil and this one's doing well in a sandy area.

Judy - It's good to know that it can get tall. I'll have to follow Calalily's advice and cut it back to prevent legginess (is that a word??)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.