wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 12, 2011
5:30 PM

Post #8558820

Could some one please help me?
How do I root cuttings from my Swamp Azalea Rhododendron viscosum. I know it likes wet feet, have it's pot sitting on the shelf on one of my fish ponds. Only a couple of inches of the pot are in the water. And It seems to love it. It is blooming but to dark outside to take pictures right not.
arfitz
Caldwell, NJ
(Zone 6a)

May 12, 2011
5:52 PM

Post #8558875

You might try root cuttings. Take a section of roots with a small section of the stem attached and put it in a mix of very damp peat and pearlite.Cover the rots with the peat and pearlite mix and enclose all within a plastic bag. ?You should see new growth emerging along the small piece of stem in about a month or two.

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 12, 2011
5:57 PM

Post #8558889

thanks not sure that would work right now, have not had it more than a couple of months. But I have lots of growth.
luis_pr
Hurst, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 28, 2011
4:57 AM

Post #8592279

This page may have the information you need:

http://www.azaleas.org/azpropagate.html

Review the sections titled air layering and cuttings.

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 28, 2011
3:36 PM

Post #8593186

Thank you
FLChilders
Clatskanie, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 29, 2011
5:39 AM

Post #8594210

The old 19th century method of layering plants to propagate them , works on just about anything Rhododendron. It actually helps to break a low hanging branch, where you want the roots, bury it several inches in the ground, and put a rock on it to hold it down when the wind blows. You should have a nice bunch of roots on it in about 6 to 9 months. Low hanging branches root easily this way, and it is called layering. Air layering is a little different and involves a little more effort. Layering it in the ground, lets you ignor it for a long time with little or no extra care.

I live in Oregon. On our southern coast we have a very fragrant Azalea (Rhododendron Specie), and in nature there are many color variations scattered over southern Oregon and Northern California. Naturally, these color forms attracted many Rhodie enthusiasts and became popular collecting topics for about 3 decades. Hope this helps Frank

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 29, 2011
8:27 AM

Post #8594466

Thank you, The plant is in a pot in one of the pools so layering it that way would not work. But if I move it-I am going to try it.

Sandy
FLChilders
Clatskanie, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 29, 2011
9:37 PM

Post #8595746

Sandy, I think I know how you feel about this... I get in a fever over some of the lovely fragrant things. I would plant it in a wet spot just to layer the low hanging branches. The prices we pay at garden centers has more to do with keeping the help paid and the taxes paid. But now you can turn that plant into more plants using your own labor, and ingenuity.

In a year or two you will be saving seeds and sharing them with us.

Before long you will have rhodies blooming in your yard for 3 to 4 months a year.
Have you gone to the American Rhododendron Society seed Store???? They are dirt cheap and very generous. Growing any specie of Rhody from seed has to follow some very important , very basic horticultural principles, but if you do that, and can do it well, a whole new universe opens up to you...They do not need constant attention, this leaves you much time for your other gardening exploits! Frank

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 30, 2011
3:42 AM

Post #8596038

Frank Thank, I do not have much room so trying not to get in to deep. Beside Florida is not a good place for most Rhododendron as they do not do very well here.
But now Hibiscus can get me in deep. LOL

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Rhododendrons and Relatives Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Azaleas and Rhododendrons Pete2 47 Nov 27, 2013 1:35 PM
Encore azaleas rylaff 11 Oct 22, 2007 12:22 PM
St.Louis Rhodo Fantatic declfi 19 Aug 22, 2008 7:04 PM
Pruning Azaleas gailgalex 7 Feb 12, 2008 4:36 AM
Zone envy celt33040 8 Apr 1, 2007 6:04 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America