Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Texas Gardening: Agapanthus Never Blooms

Communities > Forums > Texas Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Texas GardeningReplies: 14, Views: 139
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jessileigh
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 13, 2011
5:15 AM

Post #8559745

I have several Ellamae and a couple of Elaine Agapanthus in our gardens in Austin. We are experienced gardeners who do soil preparation to beds and have a reputation for spectacular gardens. Yet we cannot seem to coax one single flower from our Agapanthus. Why? They get light shade in the afternoon, good drainage, and the plants themslves are robust and healthy.
chuck7701
McKinney, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 13, 2011
8:49 AM

Post #8560118

Do they freeze back each year? If so, this may be the problem. I'm in Dallas areas, and have same problem.

The die back from freeze each year, plants come back smaller in successive years and fade away. I've given up on them in the garden. Container or greenhouse might be better way to go.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 13, 2011
10:35 AM

Post #8560333

Do they need to be thinned out?
chuck7701
McKinney, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 15, 2011
7:50 AM

Post #8563999

Was in Anaheim, CA recently and they don't seem to thin them out. San Diego areas as well. Although, pretty, I think they are over planted out there, too many of them everywhere. They grow into massive clumps 3-4 feet tall and bloom profusely.

I think its a freeze problem from my experience. It cripples the plant. The few that have come back for me this year, are dinky little things that won't produce flowers, and will be mid summer before they get much foliage.

I have a similar problem with the African Iris they sell around here. Looks great and blooms when you plant them, but they struggle to come back after the freeze, and not much in flowers. Tried a couple again last year, and they are only about six inches tall, and sparse blades. Further south, they do very well without a severe freeze.
jessileigh
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 15, 2011
8:57 AM

Post #8564170

These past two years we've had freezes, but for several years prior to that our lowest winter temp was no less than 26 and that not long enough to damage a plant. Freeze back may be part of the answer, but I'm still puzzled. There are gorgeous blooms all over Austin.

catzgalore

catzgalore
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 15, 2011
5:11 PM

Post #8565291

I have the same problem with mine. When I was doing online searches regarding this I repeatedly ran across people who said they need to be crowded to bloom best.
chuck7701
McKinney, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 16, 2011
9:13 AM

Post #8566836

There is a newer variety I've seen in nurseries in recent years that promise blooms all summer. The older varieities (like mine) tended to be spring bloomers, with sporadic late summer blooms. Perhaps you've seen the newer variety around town.
jessileigh
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 29, 2011
10:09 AM

Post #8594624

What is the newer variety? Agapanthus tends to be poorly labeled in local nurseries. I purchased these from Plant Delights. Tony Avent is good about sending out healthy, good-sized plants that are accurately labeled. Mistakes are rare and he gets cultivars ahead of the general nursery trade. I've asked neighbors who grow them who've done nothing, but purchase a few pots at Lowe's and throw them in the ground. They get beautiful performance year after year. I'm beginning to think that Lily of the Nile is one rare species of plant that has a particular dislike for me. LOL
bananna18
Colleyville, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 4, 2011
5:14 PM

Post #8609008

Was just at Central Market and there is a Monrovia "Baby Pete" dwarf. Maybe this one will work for you.
missytx
Humble, TX

June 24, 2012
8:55 PM

Post #9179341

jessileigh, did your agapanthus bloom this year? Mine haven't bloomed in several years. I, too, got them from Plant Delights, and they are good sized, healthy looking plants. I think I have 'Storm Cloud' and 'Elaine'. They use to bloom, but 5 years ago we moved them from a previous home. And like you, other people in my neighborhood, who I'm sure just go to HD or L for their plants, had great blooms. I have read about preferring to be crowded. And about preferring sun. This spring I moved them to a sunnier bed. The bed they've been in for the last 4 years has slowly become shaded in late afternoon. So I'm trying to address the sun issue to see if that helps for next year.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 24, 2012
9:21 PM

Post #9179361

I had mine in containers so could move them around for sun and move indoors for freezes.

This non blooming thing irritated me enough that I swapped them off.

They are pretty when they bloom but I'd love to know what the problem is... Kristi
LeslieT
Bellaire, TX

June 25, 2012
4:25 AM

Post #9179530

I'm having the same problem in Bellaire (inside Houston). A few isolated plants bloom; the rest do not. I have some that are crowded and some that are not. I've tried different locations as well. I'm about ready to yank them all out!
LeslieT
txaggiegal
Belton, TX

June 25, 2012
6:13 AM

Post #9179659

Agapanthus enjoy the company of their kind in the wild...the bulbs touch and often appear to crowd out each other when the blooms are the most spectacular...I only have one agapanthus hybrid, so I can not confirm my theory...but the lack of blooming may be a result of space between the bulbs.

I know that when I used to pull and divide the plants, I would naturally replant them 6-8" apart...it took me a while to break that habit and plant the bulbs right next to each other...I have no problem with blooming...even after the awful winter die-backs.

Leslie...I hope you don't pull out our ags, but if you do...I will be happy to trade for them!

Cajun2

Cajun2
(Carole) Cleveland, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 24, 2013
12:39 PM

Post #9460293

I'm so glad to read I'm not the only one. Mine are in a pot, and have been for years. I think I'm going to take them out and put some good fresh soil in it and put it back. Maybe relocating to a different bed will make a difference. I like the foilage anyway, just wish they would bloom too.

BajaBlue

BajaBlue
Rancho Santa Rita, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 30, 2013
1:09 PM

Post #9466839

According to Glasshouse Works online catalog, agapanthus are much more likely to bloom when potbound.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Texas Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
who grows peonies in houston area? vossner 20 Jun 18, 2012 7:58 PM
Texas Invasives List PvillePlanter 18 Mar 14, 2014 5:34 PM
Anyone Up For A Chat? dstartz 29 Jun 30, 2007 5:44 PM
DGrs in SW houston vossner 5 Dec 29, 2013 2:55 PM
Mock Orange in a big pot? mkjones 21 Aug 15, 2011 1:29 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America