Photo by Melody

Article: Peaches: homegrown without the hazmat suit?: Great info, thanks!

Communities > Forums > Article: Peaches: homegrown without the hazmat suit?
bookmark
Forum: Article: Peaches: homegrown without the hazmat suit?Replies: 5, Views: 18
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 13, 2011
7:45 AM

Post #8559991

Much better :). Sadly, it does reinforce my feeling that planting the peach trees I did was probably not the wisest use of space. I'll folloe your guidelines, do what I can, hope for the best and see what happens.
They're very pretty when they flower, so that may have to be enough. Fortunately for me, there's a peach orchard about four miles from me. Not organic, but I must have peaches:)

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 13, 2011
12:13 PM

Post #8560543

catmad. I agree! It has tempered my thrill over trying my own peaches~ but will make me see the orchard peaches as a bargain considering all the work they take.
Speaking of space- I had never seen a mature open center tree until watching the video linked by another reader on another response thread here. Really wide trees! I have a long way to go!! and a LOT of pruning.
Thanks for reading!
cabngirl
Sonoma, CA

May 16, 2011
4:06 PM

Post #8567714

I appreciate the suggestions offered. The challenges with peaches lead me to hope that they do not become a GMO crop, as well as over-treated with chemicals. I still like to believe in nature's balancing act to the greater degree.
We discovered an old neglected peach tree in a hidden corner behind a shed when we moved to our place. It was entangled with a massive clump of large-leaf hedera/English ivy common to 4 yards. Amazingly the tree had survived the years to produce fruit despite it's challenges which also include not being pruned, fertilized, groomed or watered! We finally waged war on the ivy which had stalks 2-3" or more in diameter woven through the fence and around the tree, and then I took a whack at cleaning it up and pruning it. It suffers leaf curl every year or two. Some years it produces tons of peaches other times less. The fruits tend to be a little bitter/stringent but by golly they are probably pretty much organic (I can't swear the neighbors haven't done things near by like fertilize lawns etc). Not sure if it's the variety or the fruit acquires the strong palate quality as a result of endurance and perhaps yielding higher nutritional content.
I call the tree "old venerable" because it's stooped and gnarled and been through the worst but keeps on peachin'. My feeling at this point is letting nature have it's way has endowed it with strengths to flourish. That said, I plan to keep pruning more, keep the ivy out and maybe give it a little organic fertilizer and a few drinks in June/July. This was a leaf curl year but fruits are forming so we'll see how it goes. It drops it's load so fast that some years I miss it altogether. That's the next challenge, collecting, using and preserving the fruits in a very small window.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 16, 2011
6:10 PM

Post #8567945

cabngirl,
Thanks for your Tale of the Found Peach. How satifying it must hve been to rescue it and get some peaches. I'd think the 'tart' ones taste awesome in pies.
I note your locatiion is in CA- that gives you an advantage over us East coasters with all our bugs and wet stuff! With a little care, they can only get better.
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 17, 2011
4:31 AM

Post #8568675

I had the same idea. I'd expect the tart fruit to make awesome preserves and pie filling. Much more flavor than what we're accustomed to. Maybe the way peaches "used" to taste? I've heard from older people that they seldom ate peaches out of hand, but put them up. Maybe that's why.

Thanks! If I find anyone left to ask, I will.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 17, 2011
4:51 AM

Post #8568710

Thats an interesting thought catmad. So many things we eat and grow, have by popular demand been made sweeter.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Peaches: homegrown without the hazmat suit? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Am I missing something? catmad 2 May 13, 2011 7:39 AM
Another idea... Landstander 2 May 13, 2011 12:10 PM
SoCal Peaches quiltygirl 1 May 17, 2011 3:27 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America