Photo by Melody

Garden Talk: What happened to my camellia?

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 3, Views: 40
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
blumz
Trussville, AL
(Zone 8a)

May 13, 2011
12:54 PM

Post #8560625

A couple of years ago I purchased a camellia shrub at a large botanical garden sale. The shrub bloomed for me the follow fall, and again this past fall. This spring it started to grow, only problem is, it's growing into something other than a camellia! About half the shrub still has camellia foliage, and the other half is something I don't recognize. Apparently, the camellia was started on the root stock of another shrub, and the host plant has somehow managed to come back. I don't know why ... :o( And I don't know what to do about it ... :o(
Questions: What is the mystery shrub? What can I do to get it out of my camellia?

Here's a picture of the part of the shrub that I can't identify.

Thumbnail by blumz
Click the image for an enlarged view.

blumz
Trussville, AL
(Zone 8a)

May 13, 2011
12:55 PM

Post #8560628

And here is a picture showing the camellia foliage along with the mystery foliage.

Thumbnail by blumz
Click the image for an enlarged view.

CamelliaShop
Savannah, GA

June 20, 2011
3:15 AM

Post #8641750

Camellias are not genetically compatible with other plants, so it's not growing on it or grafting to something else. My guess is that a seed or small plant probably was growing in the container along with the camellia, so close it looks like it's coming out of it. I have a nursery, and our plants are grown outdoors and we have to carefully watch for this type of thing, it happens all the time. I would cut out the odd looking plant because it will compete with the camellia for water or nutrients.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 10, 2011
3:43 PM

Post #8684580

Could it be Abelia?

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America