Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Haybale mushroom questions

(Linny) Salem, SC(Zone 7b)

Are these edible?

Pull them out ?

Poisonous to dogs?

Rob nutrients?

Thumbnail by Linny1
Cord, AR

I was wondering the same thing. I've never seen so many different varities of mushrooms growing in one place. And none are the common ones you see growing on the ground. I've been just letting mine die down and go back into the bale. Don't know if that's a good thing, or not.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

I don't think we have had any explanation for the mushrooms but normally just let them die back, or knock them off if they bother you. I think we have all decided that it is a sign of a good working bale if you get the mushrooms. If you are concerned about the dog, get rid of them. But I would not try to stop them from growing because whatever you do for that might make your bales kill off your plants.

Don't want that.

Pipersville, PA(Zone 6b)

I'm convinced that they, as so many things, exist for my amusement. This year I have a broader variety of colors/textures to my little fungus friends . . . they don't hurt nuthin'- let 'em be!

Bucyrus, OH(Zone 6a)

Fungi actually free nutrients from the straw. They are one of the many components nature uses to decompose material and return it to the soil. :)

Worms, bacteria, and insects are some of the other pieces of the puzzle. :)

-Joe

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Whatever works. I always thought it was a good sign.

Bucyrus, OH(Zone 6a)

Yup yup yup. :)

-Joe

Wake Forest, NC

The "mushroom" question is one of the most often asked.

And, yes, they are a good sign, and as Joe mentioned, provide a good use.

I always looked forward to seeing them.

Kent

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

They are always like little harbingers of spring aren't they? "Hey, I've got my first mushroom"!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.
BACK TO TOP