What happened to everyone?

Crozet, VA

Not sure when anyone will get around to reading this. I am wondering what happened to make this forum fizzle out. Is everyone busy gardening now that weather is nicer? Did everyone finish with their de-cluttering projects? Anyone have any explanations?

I truly enjoyed the comraderie this past winter and always looked forward to opening the threads to see what all everyone was up to. I am at a point this coming week when I will finally be moving my plants outside for the summer months and that means that the room that I have never been satisfied with since moving here six years ago will be ready for me to tackle in terms of getting rid of items that were too hard to move with the many plants sitting there when I was decluttering the rest of the house.

My aim is to get the room set up in a better functioning way. It needs to serve several purposes. I need it to house my house plants during the cold months and it will also serve as home for a wooden cabinet that I originally purchased as a crafts closet but has since become a food pantry. There are also other odd pieces of furniture that have been calling the room home for some years. As I sit here writing this, I realize that maybe a couple of pieces of furniture could be stored in the storage shed outside rather than staying in there. It would certainly give me more space for plants.

Anyway.....in case anyone ever reads this, I will thank you in advance for any tips or support you would like to send. I truly hope that all those I felt close with last winter are doing well and having lots of blooms in their gardens.

Ruby

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Not much gardening possible here with the terrible drought. We did have a wonderful thunderstorm two days ago - almost an inch - first moisture since a slight sprinkle on March 1. We're way behind average and will enter Stage II restrictions sometime next week, most likely.

As for clutter...mercy! Still trying to regain control after some major
upsets.

Eagle Point, OR(Zone 8a)

life happened to me. i enjoyed my winter "hibernation" and all those good talks about clutter and other matters. i am burned out on my clutter. moved several boxes of books and rocks off the shelves and had no place to put them. got a bit fed up. need to have that yard sale. went to one today that was kind of creepy and depressing...and fun!
i can't seem to escape this cycle of stuff. mad at myself for still being a slave to it.

Crozet, VA

Thanks for replying gals. Hope that you will be able to get things back in order soon Yuska. I wasn't aware of the drought in your parts. I don't often listen to news or weather reports from outside my area. We usually experience drought conditions later on in the summer and it is truly a terrible time and nature looks so pitiful struggling to stay alive.

Good to hear from you again Huckleberry. Yes maam, I hear you on the life happening.....same tends to happen here and every thought of computer chat goes out the window during those times. Now, my question for you is to have you please further describe yesterday's yardsale that you described as creepy, depressing and fun. I have to wonder what you encountered there that would leave you with that impression.

Ruby

Hanceville, AL(Zone 7a)

I'm still here, even though our power and land line were out for over a week due to the storms that hit Cullman County. I had to go to the library to use the computer. Our freezer started to thaw and we bought a generator and spent a lot of money on gasoline to run the thing. Saved our food, though. We had to take cold showers until I remembered that we could heat water on the grill to rinse with. I am gardening now, and just getting out makes me feel better. The clutter will be taken care of a little at the time, like a cat eating grind rock. Thanks for caring, Ruby. Luciee {;^)

Crozet, VA

Wow Luciee.....sounds like a lot of annoyances to deal with. I know that I am a really spoiled type and one of my greatest pet peeves is when the power goes out. I turn in to a growling monster and am not fit to be around humans. Sounds as though you are taking things like a trooper and doing what you need to do.

I totally understand wanting to be outdoors gardening versus inside de-cluttering. Thank you so much for checking in with your update. I hope that things will settle for you soon and that your garden will be beautiful and bountiful.

Ruby

Hanceville, AL(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Ruby. Things are getting better every day. Sunday was Decoration Day and in cleaning for company, I found an appointment card for May 3rd that my husband missed, but he was able to reschedule because of the power and phone outages. I am thankful to God for small favors. Luciee

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

Something to consider for power outages is solar, especially in southern and western states. One low tech idea is to take along black hose and hold it together in a coil that you could even leave on the roof. It would likely give you such hot water as to want to mix it in with your cold tap water. Maybe you could bring it through the bathroom window. Here is where I got the idea, a VERY interesting website/family. I have ordered a Solar Oven to be able to use without heating up the house!:

http://urbanhomestead.org/photos/gallery.php?gid=68

Also there are solar generators that you need no fuel for and a smaller system would only be needed to just run your fridge. This DG thread (http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1173336/) in Sustainable Alternatives has MissJestr living off the grid without ANY ELECTRIC COMPANY hookup available. They unplug their fridge at night and that works fine in keeping it cold. A generator man told us it only needs to be plugged in for 2 hours, but then you should not open it when it is not running. Just some thoughts.

Ruby, I noticed your absence. Glad to have you back. I only just came to check this Forum, as I figured there must be new threads.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Just extremely busy here, hope everyone is well!

Eagle Point, OR(Zone 8a)

about that yard sale...

CREEPY...the yardsale was the contents of a deceased hoarder.

DEPRESSING...i already possess many of the items that were for sale. fabric,canning jars, cookbooks, oddball plant pots, piles of clothing, tools,stationary, etc., etc., et cetera.

FUN...because a lot of this junk was from the era of my youth, the 1970's. familiar record albums, books, joke nic-nacs, etc. and on and on. the daughters of the deceased had it all perfectly organized and i could tell they were thrilled that the day had come to be rid of it. i assume they had to live with this stuff all their lives and were fed up with it.

most of the stuff was 25 cents each. the deceased must have thought it was all "worth something". it was worth 25 cents.

Hanceville, AL(Zone 7a)

thanks for the info, Quiltygirl. Luciee {;^)

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Well being a hoarder, I am also a plant hoarder. So my third car part of the garage was packed with plants pulled in to save from the cold and plants ordered and replanted to grow for spring planting.

Well spring arrives earlier here than where you individuals are located. My tomatoes are a week away from ripening, my roses and irises are done blooming. The roses will be back. All the plants in the garage are finally planted and I have not ordered any more.

I have also been de-cluttering my two freezers. It is working. One is a side by side and one is a full freezer. The side by side is close to 2/3rd empty and the full freezer has one empty shelf out of 4. Before, I could barely close the door because of so much food.

So let me give you a tally. Dining room table, still clean. Garage, just cleaned again. Master bedroom closet, still clean. Laundry room still clean.

Things still to do. De-clutter of Cookbooks, CD's, organize photos and organize irrigation box parts. I am actually getting ahead but summer is here and I am busy in the garden.

Keep up the good work and do not discourage yourself if you have taken time off. Just do not add any new clutter and do not re-clutter something or some place your have already de-cluttered. As Always, Sharon.

Eagle Point, OR(Zone 8a)

Good advice, Sharon. I wish I would heed it!

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

You can, you just have to "Huckle Down"......LOL. Sharon.

Eagle Point, OR(Zone 8a)

hee hee. i huckled down today and planted peppers. it is late, but it snowed in the mountains all around us two days ago. i have learned the hard way to just bide my time planting anything that can not survive a frost.

i cleaned up a few messes in the greenhouse. saved some other messes to work on later. ;-)

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

Cool weather here (for us) this May and all along the West Coast, it seems, even snow in CA mtns. Huckleberry, I googled Eagle Point for your location. Nice looking town, what is the elevation. Looks like you are on the 'rainy' side of the Cascades. All my veggies are in containers this year and I finished planting them out before the rain we had the last couple days. Nice gentle rain. I fertilized the ones that were already established and the fruit (3 citrus, pomegranate, peach, blackberries, boysenberries) before the rain too. I have a couple peppers and tomatoes on the plants already - yea! Funny story, I was grousing about my first pepper 'rotting' while it was growing, looking all black. Then, awhile later looked at the label and it is a Purple Beauty! Glad I did not pluck it off.

Still have a yard full of weeds from winter rains. No grass here, just dirt, so only place weeds do not grow in on the dirt driveway and in the norse corrals.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Read this on another DG forum and immediately thought of this group!!

THE CRACKED POT

An elderly Chinese woman had two large pots, each hung on the ends of a pole which she carried across her neck.
One of the pots had a crack in it while the other pot was perfect and always delivered a full portion of water.
At the end of the long walks from the stream to the house, the cracked pot arrived only half full.
For a full two years this went on daily, with the woman bringing home only one and a half pots of water.
Of course, the perfect pot was proud of its accomplishments.
But the poor cracked pot was ashamed of its own imperfection, and miserable that it could only do half of what it had been made to do.
After two years of what it perceived to be bitter failure, it spoke to the woman one day by the stream.

"I am ashamed of myself, because this crack in my side causes water to leak out all the way back to your house."

The old woman smiled, "Did you notice that there are flowers on your side of the path, but not on the other pot's side?"

"That's because I have always known about your flaw, so I planted flower seeds on your side of the path, and every day while we walk back, you water them. For two years I have been able to pick these beautiful flowers to decorate the table. Without you being just the way you are, there would not be this beauty to grace the house."

Each of us has our own unique flaw. But it's the cracks and flaws we each have that make our lives together so very interesting and rewarding.

I'm enjoying new Grammahood. The decluttering and unfinished projects and my garden will have to do without me for awhile!

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

I love the 'cracked pot' sentiment. Thanks for sharing and congratulations Gram! 8 )

Crozet, VA

Thank you to everyone who posted. So nice to hear updates and news about everyone's lives. I always love garden talk and grand baby talk too.

Sharon, I believe I will take your lead and give a run down on what I have accomplished and what still needs to be done. My still to be done list will be lots longer than your though, for sure.

With everyone's encouragement and support through the winter months I was able to rid the household of many things and actually make a bit of cash while doing it. As Sharon mentioned, I too have areas that seem to need attention on an ongoing basis. I have a few kitchen cabinets that I need to keep up with or they can become sloppy and disfunctional in a hurry.

The plant room has always been a source of contention for me because it actually being a spare bedroom, it has a tendency to turn in to a catch all quite often and quite often looks messy much to my displeasure. Finally, last Monday I believe we put all houseplants outside to spend the summer. I am now able to get in there and start making the changes I have planned. Now, if I can find the time. Along with extra gardening chores, each weekend in May we have had events to attend and often to prepare for also.

I will get to rearranging as soon as I can but at the moment every minute seems to be taken up with something new popping up. That is good, I prefer too much to do versus a feeling of boredom and restlessness.

Again great hearing from each of you. Happy day to all.

Ruby

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

I got behind on all of the threads when I went out of town 3 weekends in a row and I am not sure that I will ever get caught up☺

Crozet, VA

Hi Juney - Join the club. I know, I know. Each weekend during May we have something to attend and prepare for. That is taking a bit of time out of extra hours I usually have. I am not complaining and feel honored that so many folks want us involved in their activities. Just opened the mail and got an invitation to my great nieces high school graduation party, so that is starting calendar marking for June.

Anyway, thanks for replying to my question about how quiet things have become Juney. I am always excited to read your posts and am finding my education in the Korean culture that you have been sharing to be very interesting. Thank you so much for sharing this different way of life with us.

I am still waiting for the message from you in the future that says that you and hubby are going to visit VMI and will be in the area. I would truly love to meet you since you have played a big part in helping me continue to keep my sanity because of on line friendships and support.

Hope that you are doing well. Keep in touch.

Ruby

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

I hope that we are able to visit within the next few years☺

Crozet, VA

I will look forward to it. Maybe you can schedule a trip at a time that Dave's Mid Atlantic Gardeners are doing a plant swap or a garden tour or something along those lines so that you would also have an opportunity to meet some others that you chat with here.

I am still riding on the cloud I stepped on last weekend when spending the day Saturday trading plants with other members of Dave's who met at a members home and had lots food, fun and fellowship. Believe me, some of the most giving and friendly people are members of the Mid Atlantic Gardeners group here.

After the big birthday party for my four year old grand daugher tomorrow, I hope to be able to finally begin transplanting some of the many garden goodies I brought home with me on Sunday. For the temperatures to drop a few degrees would be extra nice too. Hope I am not asking for too much.

Enjoy your weekend all.

Ruby

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

That would be a good idea to schedule a visit during a round-up☺! I hope the weather cooperate with you and for the birthday party,too.

Crozet, VA

Thanks hon.

Ruby

Pawleys Island, SC

Hi everyone, I am still around too. We have been sick with a terrible bug that just won't go away and trying to get the school year finished up.
Thank God there is only 4 more days. This year has really been a battle. I guess it is just the age.
I am setting up propagator boxes today ( I hope) and then I would like to start more perennial seedlings. Now that the spring rush is pretty much over, I can let the perennials just come up and grow and then plant them out next year.
I still need to de clutter the studio, but a lot of the other parts of the house are done. I did buy some space bags to store winter clothes in so that i can make some space in our closets. I just need to find time to stuff them.
Well, I just wanted to say hi. I will check in later.
Linda

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

I have seen a lot of perennial seed packets talk about planting them in fall.

Do you have much 'winter' in winter there? Sounds like you should be pretty temperate. We can almost use most of our clothes year 'round here. Sometimes shorts in January and coats in July (well, not here, here, but if we go to the coast - 45 min from here).

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Well I am in Spokane and Vern is in Vancouver. Seeing grandchildren. Hiked around Coeur d'alene lake (Idaho) yesterday. A hiking tail. 2 miles. Not the whole lake. I would be there for years. I fell 10 minutes into the 2 hour hike. Banged up my right elbow and my pride. Scared my son to death. Second time I have fallen since I have been here. Both times in the morning and just a simple stumble and down I go.

Vern fell in Vancouver trying to get past a dog on the stairs.

When we get home, we may never leave. Weather here today is blue skies and warmer than Las Vegas. 45 mph winds in Las Vegas. 20 degree drop in temperatures from yesterday. Crazy desert weather.

We will be in Washington and Oregon until June 8th. My first time to Washington. So much water everywhere. The Spokane river is so high and roaring so fast, it is actually frightening to watch.

Take care and say a prayers for our soldiers past and present.

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

Ditto on the weather here, Sharon. I keep putting long jammies away then taking them back out this spring. Go figure. Just read an article in the newspaper about how much water is in Yosemite this year and how fast the Merced River is flowing. They expect more fatalities what with tourist season being here.

You two sound like us, what with falling and all. Usually just silly stuff that gets in the way, like hoses, crack in concrete, air...,,

Crozet, VA

Hi Linda, so glad you wrote with an update. So, it sounds as though you did some decluttering even with illness and broken bones. My hubby is big on fall planting. Everything I see that needs doing in the yard, he tells me to wait till fall. He doesn't know that I have started writing a list and am going to hold him to it. hahaha

Sharon, I feel for you about the falling. Last September when we vacationed on Cape Cod, I broke down and purchased a cane to walk with. In the past five years I have begun developing symptoms of a late onset Muscular Dystrophy that runs in my family. I am very capable of tripping over even the tiniest things and using the cane gives me a lot more confidence when I am walking. I don't use it in the house, but do take it to the yard with me and to stores and other places I visit. I am kind of secretly hoping that walking sticks will become a fashion rage now that I am dependent upon one. hahaha

Quilty, always good to see you posting. Hope things are going well for you.

Thank each of you who took the time to write. I miss all you gals.

Ruby

Eagle Point, OR(Zone 8a)

Ruby, big congratulations to you for moving the plants out of the plant room. Belated congratulations. I hope the wild weather this spring hasn't battered them.

Quilty. the elevation here is approx. 1500 ft. above sea level. Average date of last Spring frost is May 15. First Autumn frost is Oct 10 average, tho we had a week of frosts the 2nd week of Sept. once. One year we had no snow or frost- very unusual and the aphids were rampant that following Spring. Thank you for complimenting the area here. I moved here to be close to the Rogue river. Always been a bit of a rogue myself.

Speaking of rogues, thank you, Coleup, for that wonderful story of the lady and her cracked pot! It nearly brought forth a tear! So good to learn of "faults" being put to good use. I am going to write my mother a card with your story in it. She is the queen of crackpots! Enjoy that grandchild.

Here's to staying on your feet everyone. Stay safe thru all your travels and travails!

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

Our elevation here, 'in the desert' is 1250 ft. When I go to weather.com and look at past temps, I see the first week of June we had one morning where the low was 38 and there were 4 days in that range in May. I think the last frost date here is mid April. We are still having blessedly cooler than average days here. Alleluia!

Crozet, VA

Hi Huck and Quilty. Ahhhh.....speaking of weather....it has been horrendous here for the past couple of weeks. It is pretty much unheard of to have temperatures in the high nineties this early in the season. Virginia usually has some pretty hot days in August with the temps usually comfortable the earlier months. Last summer and it looks like again this year.....record breaking temperatures. It totally zaps me of strength and energy.

Huck, I loved your closing statement on staying safe through our travels and travails. Great one.

Thanks for writing....good to hear from you both.

Ruby

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

Ruby - Bad, high temps last summer, followed record cold in winter. Hope the second part does not follow the same pattern for you guys this year. For us, continuing last year's pattern would be great in that it was, overall, not a bad summer and then we had a longer, wetter rainy season (our version of winter). I could do without as many mornings in the 20's.

Veggie garden (containers) is slow, no doubt due to cooler temps, but have harvested 2 cukes and 2 peppers, lol. Oh and one Early Girl 'mater that was too early. This AM I dug up 2 potatoes, volunteers with others in one of the compost piles. Yummy for breakfast.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Ruby waving like crazy, been some time since I've seen you on a thread I've opened..sure hope you and family have been in good health..

Always searching to make life easier in the cleaning department..still machine your applesauce cake!!

Happy July 4th

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i'm still here....nothing going on the past months but heat, heat and more heat and no rain until the past couple of days. june should be our rainiest month but the "season" just kicked in....finally. i've spent the past months watering and planting and watering again.

i did take on a project that's been bugging me for the last five years. the front of the house looks pretty good all the time but we put the back area on hold. we have a difficult spot between the house and the garage/guesthouse. the septic tank and water, gas and electric lines run through this spot so we just weren't sure how to fix it up. dp wanted to put a deck in but i really didn't want to put in anything that had to be pounded into the ground or poured (concrete). we had all these stepping stones just lying around so i got busy.

i'll try to do this in just a few pictures but if i get carried away, well, that's life sometimes....carried away! lol
this and the next few will be "before" shots.

Thumbnail by trackinsand
mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

next

Thumbnail by trackinsand
mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

next shot

Thumbnail by trackinsand
mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i'm having a hard time posting. my photos keep disappearing.

Thumbnail by trackinsand
mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

wasn't quite finished in this shot

This message was edited Jun 30, 2011 9:13 PM

Thumbnail by trackinsand

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images