Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Clean and Clutter-free: What happened to everyone?

Communities > Forums > Clean and Clutter-free
bookmark
Forum: Clean and Clutter-freeReplies: 105, Views: 798
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 14, 2011
2:26 PM

Post #8562715

Not sure when anyone will get around to reading this. I am wondering what happened to make this forum fizzle out. Is everyone busy gardening now that weather is nicer? Did everyone finish with their de-cluttering projects? Anyone have any explanations?

I truly enjoyed the comraderie this past winter and always looked forward to opening the threads to see what all everyone was up to. I am at a point this coming week when I will finally be moving my plants outside for the summer months and that means that the room that I have never been satisfied with since moving here six years ago will be ready for me to tackle in terms of getting rid of items that were too hard to move with the many plants sitting there when I was decluttering the rest of the house.

My aim is to get the room set up in a better functioning way. It needs to serve several purposes. I need it to house my house plants during the cold months and it will also serve as home for a wooden cabinet that I originally purchased as a crafts closet but has since become a food pantry. There are also other odd pieces of furniture that have been calling the room home for some years. As I sit here writing this, I realize that maybe a couple of pieces of furniture could be stored in the storage shed outside rather than staying in there. It would certainly give me more space for plants.

Anyway...in case anyone ever reads this, I will thank you in advance for any tips or support you would like to send. I truly hope that all those I felt close with last winter are doing well and having lots of blooms in their gardens.

Ruby
Yuska
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 14, 2011
7:15 PM

Post #8563234

Not much gardening possible here with the terrible drought. We did have a wonderful thunderstorm two days ago - almost an inch - first moisture since a slight sprinkle on March 1. We're way behind average and will enter Stage II restrictions sometime next week, most likely.

As for clutter...mercy! Still trying to regain control after some major
upsets.
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 14, 2011
10:06 PM

Post #8563431

life happened to me. i enjoyed my winter "hibernation" and all those good talks about clutter and other matters. i am burned out on my clutter. moved several boxes of books and rocks off the shelves and had no place to put them. got a bit fed up. need to have that yard sale. went to one today that was kind of creepy and depressing...and fun!
i can't seem to escape this cycle of stuff. mad at myself for still being a slave to it.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 15, 2011
6:45 AM

Post #8563870

Thanks for replying gals. Hope that you will be able to get things back in order soon Yuska. I wasn't aware of the drought in your parts. I don't often listen to news or weather reports from outside my area. We usually experience drought conditions later on in the summer and it is truly a terrible time and nature looks so pitiful struggling to stay alive.

Good to hear from you again Huckleberry. Yes maam, I hear you on the life happening...same tends to happen here and every thought of computer chat goes out the window during those times. Now, my question for you is to have you please further describe yesterday's yardsale that you described as creepy, depressing and fun. I have to wonder what you encountered there that would leave you with that impression.

Ruby
luciee
Hanceville, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 15, 2011
6:50 PM

Post #8565562

I'm still here, even though our power and land line were out for over a week due to the storms that hit Cullman County. I had to go to the library to use the computer. Our freezer started to thaw and we bought a generator and spent a lot of money on gasoline to run the thing. Saved our food, though. We had to take cold showers until I remembered that we could heat water on the grill to rinse with. I am gardening now, and just getting out makes me feel better. The clutter will be taken care of a little at the time, like a cat eating grind rock. Thanks for caring, Ruby. Luciee {;^)
rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 16, 2011
7:43 AM

Post #8566516

Wow Luciee...sounds like a lot of annoyances to deal with. I know that I am a really spoiled type and one of my greatest pet peeves is when the power goes out. I turn in to a growling monster and am not fit to be around humans. Sounds as though you are taking things like a trooper and doing what you need to do.

I totally understand wanting to be outdoors gardening versus inside de-cluttering. Thank you so much for checking in with your update. I hope that things will settle for you soon and that your garden will be beautiful and bountiful.

Ruby
luciee
Hanceville, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 16, 2011
10:00 AM

Post #8566909

Thanks, Ruby. Things are getting better every day. Sunday was Decoration Day and in cleaning for company, I found an appointment card for May 3rd that my husband missed, but he was able to reschedule because of the power and phone outages. I am thankful to God for small favors. Luciee
quiltygirl
No Central, AZ
(Zone 7b)

May 16, 2011
12:27 PM

Post #8567265

Something to consider for power outages is solar, especially in southern and western states. One low tech idea is to take along black hose and hold it together in a coil that you could even leave on the roof. It would likely give you such hot water as to want to mix it in with your cold tap water. Maybe you could bring it through the bathroom window. Here is where I got the idea, a VERY interesting website/family. I have ordered a Solar Oven to be able to use without heating up the house!:

http://urbanhomestead.org/photos/gallery.php?gid=68

Also there are solar generators that you need no fuel for and a smaller system would only be needed to just run your fridge. This DG thread (http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1173336/) in Sustainable Alternatives has MissJestr living off the grid without ANY ELECTRIC COMPANY hookup available. They unplug their fridge at night and that works fine in keeping it cold. A generator man told us it only needs to be plugged in for 2 hours, but then you should not open it when it is not running. Just some thoughts.

Ruby, I noticed your absence. Glad to have you back. I only just came to check this Forum, as I figured there must be new threads.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 16, 2011
9:41 PM

Post #8568434

Just extremely busy here, hope everyone is well!
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 16, 2011
9:57 PM

Post #8568459

about that yard sale...

CREEPY...the yardsale was the contents of a deceased hoarder.

DEPRESSING...i already possess many of the items that were for sale. fabric,canning jars, cookbooks, oddball plant pots, piles of clothing, tools,stationary, etc., etc., et cetera.

FUN...because a lot of this junk was from the era of my youth, the 1970's. familiar record albums, books, joke nic-nacs, etc. and on and on. the daughters of the deceased had it all perfectly organized and i could tell they were thrilled that the day had come to be rid of it. i assume they had to live with this stuff all their lives and were fed up with it.

most of the stuff was 25 cents each. the deceased must have thought it was all "worth something". it was worth 25 cents.
luciee
Hanceville, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 17, 2011
5:58 AM

Post #8568824

thanks for the info, Quiltygirl. Luciee {;^)
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

May 17, 2011
6:19 PM

Post #8570338

Well being a hoarder, I am also a plant hoarder. So my third car part of the garage was packed with plants pulled in to save from the cold and plants ordered and replanted to grow for spring planting.

Well spring arrives earlier here than where you individuals are located. My tomatoes are a week away from ripening, my roses and irises are done blooming. The roses will be back. All the plants in the garage are finally planted and I have not ordered any more.

I have also been de-cluttering my two freezers. It is working. One is a side by side and one is a full freezer. The side by side is close to 2/3rd empty and the full freezer has one empty shelf out of 4. Before, I could barely close the door because of so much food.

So let me give you a tally. Dining room table, still clean. Garage, just cleaned again. Master bedroom closet, still clean. Laundry room still clean.

Things still to do. De-clutter of Cookbooks, CD's, organize photos and organize irrigation box parts. I am actually getting ahead but summer is here and I am busy in the garden.

Keep up the good work and do not discourage yourself if you have taken time off. Just do not add any new clutter and do not re-clutter something or some place your have already de-cluttered. As Always, Sharon.
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 17, 2011
8:00 PM

Post #8570640

Good advice, Sharon. I wish I would heed it!
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

May 17, 2011
8:17 PM

Post #8570692

You can, you just have to "Huckle Down"...LOL. Sharon.
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 18, 2011
8:50 PM

Post #8572979

hee hee. i huckled down today and planted peppers. it is late, but it snowed in the mountains all around us two days ago. i have learned the hard way to just bide my time planting anything that can not survive a frost.

i cleaned up a few messes in the greenhouse. saved some other messes to work on later. ;-)

quiltygirl
No Central, AZ
(Zone 7b)

May 19, 2011
8:00 AM

Post #8573571

Cool weather here (for us) this May and all along the West Coast, it seems, even snow in CA mtns. Huckleberry, I googled Eagle Point for your location. Nice looking town, what is the elevation. Looks like you are on the 'rainy' side of the Cascades. All my veggies are in containers this year and I finished planting them out before the rain we had the last couple days. Nice gentle rain. I fertilized the ones that were already established and the fruit (3 citrus, pomegranate, peach, blackberries, boysenberries) before the rain too. I have a couple peppers and tomatoes on the plants already - yea! Funny story, I was grousing about my first pepper 'rotting' while it was growing, looking all black. Then, awhile later looked at the label and it is a Purple Beauty! Glad I did not pluck it off.

Still have a yard full of weeds from winter rains. No grass here, just dirt, so only place weeds do not grow in on the dirt driveway and in the norse corrals.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 19, 2011
7:41 PM

Post #8574890

Read this on another DG forum and immediately thought of this group!!

THE CRACKED POT

An elderly Chinese woman had two large pots, each hung on the ends of a pole which she carried across her neck.
One of the pots had a crack in it while the other pot was perfect and always delivered a full portion of water.
At the end of the long walks from the stream to the house, the cracked pot arrived only half full.
For a full two years this went on daily, with the woman bringing home only one and a half pots of water.
Of course, the perfect pot was proud of its accomplishments.
But the poor cracked pot was ashamed of its own imperfection, and miserable that it could only do half of what it had been made to do.
After two years of what it perceived to be bitter failure, it spoke to the woman one day by the stream.

"I am ashamed of myself, because this crack in my side causes water to leak out all the way back to your house."

The old woman smiled, "Did you notice that there are flowers on your side of the path, but not on the other pot's side?"

"That's because I have always known about your flaw, so I planted flower seeds on your side of the path, and every day while we walk back, you water them. For two years I have been able to pick these beautiful flowers to decorate the table. Without you being just the way you are, there would not be this beauty to grace the house."

Each of us has our own unique flaw. But it's the cracks and flaws we each have that make our lives together so very interesting and rewarding.

I'm enjoying new Grammahood. The decluttering and unfinished projects and my garden will have to do without me for awhile!
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 19, 2011
8:04 PM

Post #8574928

I love the 'cracked pot' sentiment. Thanks for sharing and congratulations Gram! 8 )
rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 24, 2011
7:49 AM

Post #8584086

Thank you to everyone who posted. So nice to hear updates and news about everyone's lives. I always love garden talk and grand baby talk too.

Sharon, I believe I will take your lead and give a run down on what I have accomplished and what still needs to be done. My still to be done list will be lots longer than your though, for sure.

With everyone's encouragement and support through the winter months I was able to rid the household of many things and actually make a bit of cash while doing it. As Sharon mentioned, I too have areas that seem to need attention on an ongoing basis. I have a few kitchen cabinets that I need to keep up with or they can become sloppy and disfunctional in a hurry.

The plant room has always been a source of contention for me because it actually being a spare bedroom, it has a tendency to turn in to a catch all quite often and quite often looks messy much to my displeasure. Finally, last Monday I believe we put all houseplants outside to spend the summer. I am now able to get in there and start making the changes I have planned. Now, if I can find the time. Along with extra gardening chores, each weekend in May we have had events to attend and often to prepare for also.

I will get to rearranging as soon as I can but at the moment every minute seems to be taken up with something new popping up. That is good, I prefer too much to do versus a feeling of boredom and restlessness.

Again great hearing from each of you. Happy day to all.

Ruby
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

May 24, 2011
5:15 PM

Post #8585111

I got behind on all of the threads when I went out of town 3 weekends in a row and I am not sure that I will ever get caught up☺
rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 25, 2011
6:57 AM

Post #8586099

Hi Juney - Join the club. I know, I know. Each weekend during May we have something to attend and prepare for. That is taking a bit of time out of extra hours I usually have. I am not complaining and feel honored that so many folks want us involved in their activities. Just opened the mail and got an invitation to my great nieces high school graduation party, so that is starting calendar marking for June.

Anyway, thanks for replying to my question about how quiet things have become Juney. I am always excited to read your posts and am finding my education in the Korean culture that you have been sharing to be very interesting. Thank you so much for sharing this different way of life with us.

I am still waiting for the message from you in the future that says that you and hubby are going to visit VMI and will be in the area. I would truly love to meet you since you have played a big part in helping me continue to keep my sanity because of on line friendships and support.

Hope that you are doing well. Keep in touch.

Ruby
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2011
11:53 PM

Post #8587775

I hope that we are able to visit within the next few years☺
rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 27, 2011
11:17 AM

Post #8590859

I will look forward to it. Maybe you can schedule a trip at a time that Dave's Mid Atlantic Gardeners are doing a plant swap or a garden tour or something along those lines so that you would also have an opportunity to meet some others that you chat with here.

I am still riding on the cloud I stepped on last weekend when spending the day Saturday trading plants with other members of Dave's who met at a members home and had lots food, fun and fellowship. Believe me, some of the most giving and friendly people are members of the Mid Atlantic Gardeners group here.

After the big birthday party for my four year old grand daugher tomorrow, I hope to be able to finally begin transplanting some of the many garden goodies I brought home with me on Sunday. For the temperatures to drop a few degrees would be extra nice too. Hope I am not asking for too much.

Enjoy your weekend all.

Ruby

JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

May 28, 2011
4:23 AM

Post #8592257

That would be a good idea to schedule a visit during a round-up☺! I hope the weather cooperate with you and for the birthday party,too.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 28, 2011
6:00 AM

Post #8592354

Thanks hon.

Ruby
ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

May 28, 2011
8:11 AM

Post #8592514

Hi everyone, I am still around too. We have been sick with a terrible bug that just won't go away and trying to get the school year finished up.
Thank God there is only 4 more days. This year has really been a battle. I guess it is just the age.
I am setting up propagator boxes today ( I hope) and then I would like to start more perennial seedlings. Now that the spring rush is pretty much over, I can let the perennials just come up and grow and then plant them out next year.
I still need to de clutter the studio, but a lot of the other parts of the house are done. I did buy some space bags to store winter clothes in so that i can make some space in our closets. I just need to find time to stuff them.
Well, I just wanted to say hi. I will check in later.
Linda
quiltygirl
No Central, AZ
(Zone 7b)

May 28, 2011
3:05 PM

Post #8593094

I have seen a lot of perennial seed packets talk about planting them in fall.

Do you have much 'winter' in winter there? Sounds like you should be pretty temperate. We can almost use most of our clothes year 'round here. Sometimes shorts in January and coats in July (well, not here, here, but if we go to the coast - 45 min from here).
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

May 29, 2011
5:23 PM

Post #8595326

Well I am in Spokane and Vern is in Vancouver. Seeing grandchildren. Hiked around Coeur d'alene lake (Idaho) yesterday. A hiking tail. 2 miles. Not the whole lake. I would be there for years. I fell 10 minutes into the 2 hour hike. Banged up my right elbow and my pride. Scared my son to death. Second time I have fallen since I have been here. Both times in the morning and just a simple stumble and down I go.

Vern fell in Vancouver trying to get past a dog on the stairs.

When we get home, we may never leave. Weather here today is blue skies and warmer than Las Vegas. 45 mph winds in Las Vegas. 20 degree drop in temperatures from yesterday. Crazy desert weather.

We will be in Washington and Oregon until June 8th. My first time to Washington. So much water everywhere. The Spokane river is so high and roaring so fast, it is actually frightening to watch.

Take care and say a prayers for our soldiers past and present.
quiltygirl
No Central, AZ
(Zone 7b)

May 29, 2011
7:00 PM

Post #8595526

Ditto on the weather here, Sharon. I keep putting long jammies away then taking them back out this spring. Go figure. Just read an article in the newspaper about how much water is in Yosemite this year and how fast the Merced River is flowing. They expect more fatalities what with tourist season being here.

You two sound like us, what with falling and all. Usually just silly stuff that gets in the way, like hoses, crack in concrete, air...,,
rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 30, 2011
12:45 PM

Post #8597240

Hi Linda, so glad you wrote with an update. So, it sounds as though you did some decluttering even with illness and broken bones. My hubby is big on fall planting. Everything I see that needs doing in the yard, he tells me to wait till fall. He doesn't know that I have started writing a list and am going to hold him to it. hahaha

Sharon, I feel for you about the falling. Last September when we vacationed on Cape Cod, I broke down and purchased a cane to walk with. In the past five years I have begun developing symptoms of a late onset Muscular Dystrophy that runs in my family. I am very capable of tripping over even the tiniest things and using the cane gives me a lot more confidence when I am walking. I don't use it in the house, but do take it to the yard with me and to stores and other places I visit. I am kind of secretly hoping that walking sticks will become a fashion rage now that I am dependent upon one. hahaha

Quilty, always good to see you posting. Hope things are going well for you.

Thank each of you who took the time to write. I miss all you gals.

Ruby
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

June 9, 2011
9:31 PM

Post #8621380

Ruby, big congratulations to you for moving the plants out of the plant room. Belated congratulations. I hope the wild weather this spring hasn't battered them.

Quilty. the elevation here is approx. 1500 ft. above sea level. Average date of last Spring frost is May 15. First Autumn frost is Oct 10 average, tho we had a week of frosts the 2nd week of Sept. once. One year we had no snow or frost- very unusual and the aphids were rampant that following Spring. Thank you for complimenting the area here. I moved here to be close to the Rogue river. Always been a bit of a rogue myself.

Speaking of rogues, thank you, Coleup, for that wonderful story of the lady and her cracked pot! It nearly brought forth a tear! So good to learn of "faults" being put to good use. I am going to write my mother a card with your story in it. She is the queen of crackpots! Enjoy that grandchild.

Here's to staying on your feet everyone. Stay safe thru all your travels and travails!

quiltygirl
No Central, AZ
(Zone 7b)

June 11, 2011
8:26 AM

Post #8623839

Our elevation here, 'in the desert' is 1250 ft. When I go to weather.com and look at past temps, I see the first week of June we had one morning where the low was 38 and there were 4 days in that range in May. I think the last frost date here is mid April. We are still having blessedly cooler than average days here. Alleluia!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

June 11, 2011
8:34 AM

Post #8623854

Hi Huck and Quilty. Ahhhh...speaking of weather...it has been horrendous here for the past couple of weeks. It is pretty much unheard of to have temperatures in the high nineties this early in the season. Virginia usually has some pretty hot days in August with the temps usually comfortable the earlier months. Last summer and it looks like again this year...record breaking temperatures. It totally zaps me of strength and energy.

Huck, I loved your closing statement on staying safe through our travels and travails. Great one.

Thanks for writing...good to hear from you both.

Ruby
quiltygirl
No Central, AZ
(Zone 7b)

June 12, 2011
10:39 AM

Post #8625672

Ruby - Bad, high temps last summer, followed record cold in winter. Hope the second part does not follow the same pattern for you guys this year. For us, continuing last year's pattern would be great in that it was, overall, not a bad summer and then we had a longer, wetter rainy season (our version of winter). I could do without as many mornings in the 20's.

Veggie garden (containers) is slow, no doubt due to cooler temps, but have harvested 2 cukes and 2 peppers, lol. Oh and one Early Girl 'mater that was too early. This AM I dug up 2 potatoes, volunteers with others in one of the compost piles. Yummy for breakfast.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 30, 2011
5:50 PM

Post #8665027

Ruby waving like crazy, been some time since I've seen you on a thread I've opened..sure hope you and family have been in good health..

Always searching to make life easier in the cleaning department..still machine your applesauce cake!!

Happy July 4th

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 30, 2011
6:04 PM

Post #8665051

i'm still here...nothing going on the past months but heat, heat and more heat and no rain until the past couple of days. june should be our rainiest month but the "season" just kicked in...finally. i've spent the past months watering and planting and watering again.

i did take on a project that's been bugging me for the last five years. the front of the house looks pretty good all the time but we put the back area on hold. we have a difficult spot between the house and the garage/guesthouse. the septic tank and water, gas and electric lines run through this spot so we just weren't sure how to fix it up. dp wanted to put a deck in but i really didn't want to put in anything that had to be pounded into the ground or poured (concrete). we had all these stepping stones just lying around so i got busy.

i'll try to do this in just a few pictures but if i get carried away, well, that's life sometimes...carried away! lol
this and the next few will be "before" shots.

Thumbnail by trackinsand
Click the image for an enlarged view.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 30, 2011
6:05 PM

Post #8665054

next

Thumbnail by trackinsand

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 30, 2011
6:09 PM

Post #8665056

next shot

Thumbnail by trackinsand

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 30, 2011
6:11 PM

Post #8665058

i'm having a hard time posting. my photos keep disappearing.

Thumbnail by trackinsand

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 30, 2011
6:12 PM

Post #8665062

wasn't quite finished in this shot

This message was edited Jun 30, 2011 9:13 PM

Thumbnail by trackinsand

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 30, 2011
6:14 PM

Post #8665065

better

Thumbnail by trackinsand

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 30, 2011
6:14 PM

Post #8665066

Can't wait for the next photo's! That is some heavy lifting, you are bound to have a sore back..

House is where it should be, outside yard work almost done..few weeks ago I started a second pond and the quarry rock bought and transported to the house sure took a toll on the back. When will we ever learn...lol

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 30, 2011
6:15 PM

Post #8665068

another

Thumbnail by trackinsand

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 30, 2011
6:16 PM

Post #8665071

Absolutely breath taking..fantastic job you've done..so inviting!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 30, 2011
6:16 PM

Post #8665073

You've outdone yourself!

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 30, 2011
6:17 PM

Post #8665074

thank god for a hay hook i kept from years ago! i can drag those things into place and make it a touch easier on the back...but we never learn! lol

i kept that mulched part for dp. he has to have a place to wash tools and mix round-up. figured he couldn't hurt anything there.

Thumbnail by trackinsand

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 30, 2011
6:19 PM

Post #8665079

thank you! i didn't have to buy to much in the way of plants. i started hunting around the front area for plants that needed more shade.

Thumbnail by trackinsand

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 30, 2011
6:23 PM

Post #8665094

i love looking out there now. there are a few more plants now than when these pics were taken. (of course,lol)
the other thing that made it hard was this walkway acts like a wind tunnel. i planted a row of fast growing viburnums down the yard aways, towards the lake. who knew we wouldn't have a speck of rain? i'm watering them but they haven't put on any growth as yet...i hope to keep them just tall enough so my lake view isn't blocked.

Thumbnail by trackinsand

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 30, 2011
6:28 PM

Post #8665103

that's all folks! thanks for your compliments, betty! i sure appreciate them. only another gardener knows what we really go through!

had to add a word! lol

This message was edited Jun 30, 2011 9:42 PM

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 30, 2011
6:28 PM

Post #8665104

Re-purposing, that makes it even more special..tomorrow is our Canada Day , I'm trying to visit parts of my garden and take some low laying plants and transplant on/near the rock slate but they are calling for hot/humid weather so not a good time...might have to wait for cooler temps! Always a project at hand, am sure I'll find somethingbto keep me out of mischief!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 30, 2011
6:32 PM

Post #8665111

You are so right, I have passerbys who ask if they can walk mr gardens, tell me how beautiful and interesting but I'm sure the have no idea how much backbreaking hours it took to get it as is..but the joy you get each day walking them sure makes up for the sore bones!

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 30, 2011
6:52 PM

Post #8665157

you're right about that. dp kept saying, "you're going to hurt your back" because i do have a bad back and bad knees too but i just kept on going. luckily, the back held out until about a week after i was finished.

i didn't have all the same size stones so when i'd start to run out of one, i'd just sit back and think of how to incorporate the next size to make it come out right. had to use a broken one down at the end but i filled in with gravel here and there. i tried to get the stones as level as possible. nothing but sand there so i could dig and fill with my hands...wore out two pairs of shoes in the toes!

the day i started, dp tried his best to stop me but i told him i wasn't waiting for a better economy or a better plan or better weather (it was already really, really hot). if he didn't like it, he could change it down the road. now he likes it...

down in that end bed where the pavers are highest, i had a special surprise in mind for him. he loves elephant ears and he's always complaining that i buy plant after plant but never an ear...so i ordered a special one for him that should do well in that spot. Alocasia 'Portodora'. part sun/part shade and it stands up better than some to wind. we'll see but he's happy. this is the plant the day i put it in. it's already grown.

Thumbnail by trackinsand

quiltygirl
No Central, AZ
(Zone 7b)

June 30, 2011
8:25 PM

Post #8665356

Very nice job Tracks. I bet that is a comfortable place to sit with the breezeway and all. Probably a lot cooler. I end up carrying one of those pavers at a time, but see DD and a worker carry 2 or 3. I was thinking of filling in a much smaller space with first dirt, then pavers, myself.

Tracks, I was this close to being in your neck of the woods, flying in to Ft Lauderdale and picking up a 'purchase online' car, then driving to CA. Even had get togethers with DG'rs along the way in Panama Beach and the DFW area, and with Cubits people in AZ. A loooooong drive alone, but looks like we will not be getting that car, in spite of having my air ticket already. Decision do or die day tomorrow. My family in Dallas thinks I am absolutely wacky for even considering this. Actually it is DH...

So, Betty, for 'your neck of the woods' what is hot and humid?
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

June 30, 2011
10:56 PM

Post #8665510

That was a lot of work, but so well worth it! It looks wonderful! Like it was always meant to be there.
( I never thought that a hay hook would/could be that handy, but now I am wondering if I still own one...)

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 1, 2011
3:55 AM

Post #8665631

Luckily we've had a good mixture of sunshine and rain..May mostly rain..flowers are just starting to bloom but the greenery is thrice their size!

LOL about the shoes Tracks, have a few of those as well..keep saying that's enough for today then I get one more burst of energy and before you know it the good shoes I have get ruined..

My gardens..

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 1, 2011
4:01 AM

Post #8665637

Actually, photo's were taken last night for a thread I'm on..we've done so many swaps together that each photo taken was a walk through my gardens thinking of the kindness of many DG members..on that site each will remember pieces they've sent or pieces I've purchased while we were visiting..

Great way to spend a Canada Day, enjoying beauty of my gardens and including friends in my day !

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 1, 2011
4:05 AM

Post #8665640

Last weekend's project..I have a big pond with water feature..didn't realize that in 3 years what I planted would take over and be more than 3' tall, can't see the pond unless you take the pathway to it so I thought I'd dig another just big enough to sit around..2 more loads of stone and it should be completed..put a few fish in last night..so now on to find another weekend project..lol..

Enjoyed our gabbing, have a sunshine day!

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

July 1, 2011
5:56 AM

Post #8665790

Whew! The rains let up for a couple of days and we now have Hot summer weather! It was perfect weather for our Independence Day celebration with light breezes for comfort as we sat on the bleachers for hours watching shows and then the fireworks. I am so exhausted that I may sleep for days...
quiltygirl
No Central, AZ
(Zone 7b)

July 1, 2011
7:05 AM

Post #8665913

Juney, I know you are across the International Date Line, but you had Independance Day celebrations already? Is that on the US base? DH has a contingent of S Koreans that were supposed to be here this week to meet with him about using his concrete and steel building system. They have an American from Michigan who works for them over there that makes all the contacts. They have now postponed. Of course, they were to meet in Las Vegas, a magnet to so many Asians...

Betty, your yard is magnificent and such a respite of green for this desert dweller's eye! That stack of pots is so clever! How do you put it together? And you built a new pond, very industrious and so refreshing looking. Do you have to drain them in the winter, or what about the fish?

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 1, 2011
7:21 AM

Post #8665928

what a cool and welcoming garden, betty. i especially love the picture to the right of the rock city birdhouse. your gardens just beg for a person to step inside and wander the pathways.
i hope someday to have my front circle extended to include the entire circle and invite that kind of feeling...the more green, the better!

Thumbnail by trackinsand

rubyw
Crozet, VA

July 1, 2011
7:38 AM

Post #8665947

What a delight to open this thread and see such beautiful gardens. Both tracks and Betty have relly put in a long of grueling work to reach such a lovely end. Tracks, everything is just gorgeous. Thank you so much for sharing the pictures. Your home looks like an ideal place to live. I can imagine stepping out early in the day before the temperatures reach their highest and just breathing in the refreshing and life restoring beauty surrounding you. The designs of the pavers and the walls are great. I am in love with the last pic you posted too of the gorgeous garden you have growing. BEAUTIFUL!!!

Betty, so great to see you. Your pictures too are really great. What a fun garden. You are really amazing in all that you accomplish each and every day. I see that you haven't slowed down one iota since we last spoke. Go for it girl!!! Your energy really puts me to shame. Oh well...anyway, everyone commented on their favorite garden decor and I have to say I was quite taken with the mosaic bench. Beautiful as well as everything else too.

So, I would like to thank both of you ladies for giving me some eye candy this morning. You have both done gorgeous work. Also hello to Juney and Quilty...good to see you ladies too.

I am just getting started reading Dave's today, mid morning. Slept in and am hoping to have a semi restful day. I have recently agreed to become regular baby sitter for my two grand children three or sometimes four days a week in the afternoons and early evening. They were here yesterday and it usually takes me a day or so to recover from that. I surely sleep well the nights after running after them all day. Phew!!!!! I get a good break this weekend because they won't be back until Tuesday. Better make hay while the sun is shining as they say.

Plan to spend a bit of time later today working on my houseplants which are spending the summer on the screened porch. I dug a few things earlier in the week that I need to transplant also, so most of my day will be devoted to playing in the dirt...my very favorite way to spend the day.

Again...great seeing everyone and special thanks to the picture sharers. Hope that everyone has a good weekend coming up. Take care and hope to see some more posts from you gals. Really enjoyed the thread today.

Ruby
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

July 1, 2011
1:46 PM

Post #8666575

Playing in the dirt is a great way to spend your day ^_^
Betty and Track, your gardens are what I would love to have. Lots of work and it pays you back so well with all of the beauty.
We celebrate whenever the calendar looks good, I think. It worked out that Friday night was the time for the "northern camps", Saturday for Seoul area, & then; right on down south through the country. Kind of a 'traveling celebration' concept that we use over here for holidays. I guess it is so that someone is always on guard against the nut to the north no matter what kind of holiday we are having. (though it is hard to think of these guys working on Easter and Christmas)

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 1, 2011
2:30 PM

Post #8666648

Ruby, you would think with my getting older I'd slow down but think with all the projects I undertake and those I'm given by family and friends I try to work double time, days and years I have left can't be filled just sitting around! So pleased to see you are well..

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 1, 2011
2:31 PM

Post #8666652

Ooops forgot to say Juneybug whichever day you celebrate may it be uneventful (no cooks) but a sunshine day!

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 1, 2011
5:12 PM

Post #8666904

i really enjoyed this chit-chat too. i love this forum and always learn something. funny that i am the opposite of a hoarder/collector and yet identify with everyone on here...just on a different level. don't mean that all of you are hoarders but i can't or won't hold on to things even when i should so i'm looking to you all for insight into my own idios.
Happy Fourth of July to All!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

July 9, 2011
7:19 AM

Post #8681782

Hi again ladies - I have been missing in action...in action for sure too. I recently agreed to begin baby sitting my two grand children three afternoons, early evenings a week while their folks work. It has really time consuming, and much of my computer time is now spend chasing around a one year old and answering a million questions a day for a four year old. I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world, but I sure feel my age these days. hahaha

Tracks...I too love the clean and clutter free forums and have missed them since warm weather arrived and most of the regular posters seem to have gone in different directions. A lady wrote in this morning on a new thread asking about getting started in getting rid of some possessions that have recently come in to her care due to a death in the family. Myabe you have some hints to help her get started.

I feel as though I did a great job last winter spending the majority of my time either thinking about, writing about, talking about or actually de-cluttering our home and storage shed. I finally worked myself down to one room which has been somewhat a thorn in my side for several years now. It took me a while but I finally decided upon the main use of the the spare bedroom that has been the offender. For two winters now it has served as winter home to the majority of my house plants. It has also played home to extra pieces of furniture that don't fit elsewhere in my small house.

I am currently, between baby sitting gigs, packing up the remaining items that are on a bookshelf in the room and getting them stored in my outside shed for the time being. I plan to take the book case out and switch it out with another book case in my living room and display an elephant collection I have, which hasn't been properly displayed for the years I have had it. Anyway...this is where you folks may come in...

Tracks especially...you say you don't have particular issues with holding on to things. I am really horrible about it, and even with a major de-clutter last winter, still have way too many possessions. Maybe I will plan another de-clutter this year and send more stuff to auction. The auction is really the easiest, but also the way to guarantee I make the least amount of money for them. But, I am not interested in the time it takes to try and sell online. I did that a bit some years back when I didn't have such a full agenda as now.

I suppose as I am realizing by writing this...I need to back up a step or two. I haven't yet completely gotten the items and furnishings out of the room that I plan to get out. That is my first step and I have been taking my good old time with it. Time is gonna catch up with me, if I am not careful and then I will be in a frenzy trying to get things done and leave things sloppy or undone and I don't want that to happen...again.

Anyway...just so thrilled to visit Clean and Clutter Free and find some action this morning. I hope that anyone reading this is enjoying a good weekend. And Tracks...and all...any tips on letting go of things is much appreciated...any time. I love the topic and have a long way to go before I am able to claim this is no longer a problem for me. Thanks for being here folks. You are really the very best!!!

Ruby

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 9, 2011
9:47 AM

Post #8682044

good morning all! it's a beautiful day here today, slightly overcast with a forecast of much needed rain. yay!

i don't have a lot of time but i will try to get a few thoughts down here before they fly out of my head. lol

i think there are a couple of major obstacles we all face when getting rid of "stuff". in no particular order, they are:

what the thing cost. if we bought it, no matter the price, we feel like we are bound to it out of financial duty. once the thing is paid for, that money is lost, gone. some things, like an antique, may appreciate in value but your original purchase price money is no longer cash. it is a thing, sitting there reminding you (worst case scenario) of money spent foolishly. if you have made up your mind that it needs to go, you simply cannot dwell on the money. you may consign it, sell it, gift it or give to your favorite charity but don't hang on to it because it represents money spent. try to think of it like a food item. you pay 5 dollars for a piece of meat. you cook it. you eat it. it's gone. you don't save it because it cost 5 dollars.

the next obstacle is how you obtained it or from who. lots of our possessions are passed down or are gifts from family and/or friends. those people may or may not still be with us. if they're dead, you feel you cannot let go of this thing because it belonged to mary or john. if they're still alive, you feel you cannot let go of this thing because it would hurt mary's or john's feelings. if you have made up your mind that it needs to go, you can't let fear of the past or fear of the future, stop you from making YOUR life better.
you can offer it up to a family member or friend who admires it and would be thrilled to have it and if they're not thrilled, then why should you have to be? you can't be afraid of that day when mary might say, "where is that darling purple pig i gave you?" chances are that mary will never say it and if she does, you can answer truthfully that you are drowning in possessions and donated it to charity. if mary gets mad, she'll either get over it or not, depending on the person she is but once a gift is given, it belongs to the recipient, to do with as he or she pleases. that's the beauty of a gift. it's not supposed to weigh you down with responsibility for its safekeeping.

the third obstacle is the sheer enormity of the task at hand, whether that enormity is physically huge or just "huge" in our heads. go into a room armed with bags or boxes or baskets and designate one for each ending...as in trash, goodwill, consignment, etc. and when they're full, stop. take the trash out and dump it. put the other stuff in the car and go now! don't ponder your choices. you can have a basket set aside for the "not sures" but remember that those things will eventually have to go back into THE ROOM.

you can also start a room by going through what bothers you least to let go of. i have a full length mirror in my closet and if clothes don't fit or don't look right, they go. i don't have a problem getting rid of clothes. i do have more of a problem getting rid of "things", so it's easiest for me to start on the clothes. you can do the harder things after the easy stuff is gone. get my drift?

i guess that's enough for now! lol i always end up writing a book!

SkeptikSharon
Ontario, CA
(Zone 8b)

July 9, 2011
10:56 AM

Post #8682168

For the most part, my problem is not so much the letting go of things. I have no problem tossing things into the trash or donating them. I'm especially good at letting go of clothes (I'm not really much of a clothes shopper anyway) or dishes or things that are no longer meeting my needs. My bigger problem is just in getting to the actual act of cleaning stuff out and tossing or donating.

There are a few things that I do have trouble letting go of. I have old journals of mine that I have written in over the years since I was about 10 years old. I'm not sure why I am keeping them. I never go back and look at them. At this point, they take up a whole shelf on my bookcase. I also have old letters that fill up a couple boxes in my cedar chest from old friends that I haven't spoken to in years and never will. I also have a bunch of drawings and stories and whatnot created for me by my baby sister and my brother when they were little. They are also hidden away in the cedar chest, taking up space. I tend to hold onto those memento type things, but I hate that they just end up in shoe boxes in the cedar chest.

Books are really difficult for me to let go of. I did manage to get a bunch of books packed up in boxes last year, but they ended up in the attic. I want those gone. I just need hubby to pull them down and figure out where to donate them to. I still have a lot more books on my shelves though, and they need further paring down. Thank goodness for ebooks though, so I am adding less to my physical collection. I have a bunch of CDs that just need to be copied and then they can go. All purchases are now made in electronic form (except for the odd CD that hubby just has to have).

I try to follow the rule that if something hasn't been used in 6 months to a year, it can go. I just need to do it. =)

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 9, 2011
11:10 AM

Post #8682200

i donated a few hundred garden books to our local library. what they didn't keep for their shelves, they sold at their annual book fair to raise money for improvements. if you itemize your taxes, you can get a receipt and use it as a write-off.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

July 9, 2011
11:38 AM

Post #8682237

Tracks - you did a wonderful job explaining some of the reasons so many of us end up with an over abundance of things. Everything you said makes great sense. I was excited reading it, because you wrote from a perspective of it burdening us and I could almost feel a lightened sense by just thinking of letting go of a few more things. I am going to jot down on a piece of paper the reasons you gave and keep it handy for when I next tackle a declutter job. That might be later today if I ever get some daily chores done.

Your example of buying a piece of meat and eating it makes good sense... we bought it, used it, now it gone, done, over with. Move on.

The sentiments attached to many items is also a stumbling block I have often caved in to. I need to get it instilled in my mind and heart that I can get rid of an item without giving the memory away. I will always have that and don't need a house full of reminders of how many folks have gifted me with items over the long life I have lived.

Oh yeah, can really identify with the feeling of being overwhelmed by the job ahead. I put off de-cluttering for years due to this. I used every excuse in the book until I finally ran out of excuses. This gets me back to another point I was thinking of earlier...once I started, it became a quite enjoyable challenge and I had a good winter season due to feeling as though I was accomplishing something important every day.

So, you helped a lot Tracks...it will come in handy over the next while as I call war on the remains of last winter de-clutter and get rid of even more soon I hope. Thank you so very much!!!

Sharon...good to see you. I am the queen of procrastination. I was just reminded of the good feelings I had last year during my de-clutter and realized I missed the feelings I was getting then. I know it is really very, very difficult to get started, but really I have found that getting started is truly half the battle. It all became quite exhilerating for me. Not sure if I spelled that word correctly, because it is not a word I often use to describe my life, but it truly was exhilerating to rid myself of excess baggage, so to speak. I remember walking around and feeling as though a big load had been lifted off my shoulders. I hadn't recalled this for some time now, but recalling it now is getting me excited and I am looking forward to starting act 2 of this and do a much more thorough de-cluttering later this year.

So, thank both of you for your input today. I am feeling better about part two of the show. I have been kind of putting off and putting off this last room but realize that I need to really get a move one. Today visiting these sites has me anxious to begin...I want to feel the good, clean and lighter feelings I had prior to now.

Ya'll stay in touch please.

Ruby

rubyw
Crozet, VA

July 9, 2011
11:41 AM

Post #8682239

We cross posted Tracks...excellent idea. I used to love visiting a room at our local library where they sold books for a little bit of change. I bought many really nice books there and felt as though I was helping a worthy cause at the same time. It is a good thing I wasn't in your town when you donated those books, because I am sure I would have brought home quite a few of them. hahaha

Ruby

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 9, 2011
11:51 AM

Post #8682247

ruby, i would have slapped your hands and said, "NO, GIRL!"
glad to have made some sense today, sense you can use and make use of. i know it is hard but it is up to you to fight the good fight...up to each of us!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 9, 2011
12:13 PM

Post #8682276

Great posts...love reading books and always box upon box of books..kids bought me a Sony reader for Christmas and downloaded 2,000 books, needless to say it was a multi purpose gift...shelves now empty and no more boxes..now if only my craft books could be downloaded!!

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 9, 2011
12:27 PM

Post #8682296

ok, so i'm thinking while i'm vacuuming!
another thing that helps is setting a goal. what is your goal? i don't mean the short term, de-cluttered house goal. i mean what do you envision yourself doing after the cleaning/de-cluttering is over? what will it give you or do for you? more garden time? a trip? new flooring? visits from friends or family who couldn't otherwise have stayed in your "guestroom"? if you keep this goal, whatever it may be, in your mental sight, it can serve as your reward at the end of the task.

i also have a tip for that newly de-cluttered spot. our goal isn't to have a house full of empty shelves and cabinets, blank dresser tops with no feeling in them. once that spot is cleared and cleaned, do a little decorating. make it cute, make it pretty, make it whatever you want it to be, but don't leave it totally blank or that spot is just begging for a pile of junk in no time at all.

oops, didn't finish my thought.
whenever you go out and are tempted to buy something, you can mentally see the newly de-cluttered areas in your head and if you have decorated, say a dresser top with a few nice things, you can look at the thing in your hand and think to yourself, "do i really have a place for this? the dresser top looks so nice the way it is". chances are it will be easier to put that piece down and walk on. on the other hand, if that spot at home is blank, you're going to be thinking that you have room for this little knick-knack and it's going to go home with you.

This message was edited Jul 9, 2011 3:30 PM
SkeptikSharon
Ontario, CA
(Zone 8b)

July 9, 2011
9:26 PM

Post #8683076

Hmmm, trackinsand, that is a good idea. I am planning to itemize on the next return, so maybe now is a good idea to donate all those books. Get them out of my attic and out of my mind. =)

Ruby, I know what you mean about the good feelings of getting things decluttered and cleaned out. Every so often, I go through a phase of needing to go through certain things and get rid of whatever I can. Itís that time again. Iíve been feeling it for a while now. I just need to get it started. There are several areas that are just irritating me. I feel so much better when things are all cleaned out and areas are actually functional. I think part of the problem is that after moving into this house 2 years ago, there are still several things that need to be taken care of so that they will be functional. Both bedroom closets need to be reshelved and redone, along with the hallway closets. Our house was built in 1930, and there were lots of things that had been neglected for a long time. The first month we bought the house, we ripped out the entire kitchen and redid all the cabinets and floors and everything. Still in the process of finishing touches on that project. Iím just itching for projects to be completely finished.

Hmm. Goals. Iím not really sure what kind of goal to set for after the cleaning and decluttering is over. I do have my heart set on redoing my patio this fall, but whether I get things cleaned out inside or not wonít really affect that. Mostly I just want my mind to not feel cluttered. I want to be able to know exactly where something is (other than what hubby might have recently picked up and put down in a random spot). I want to feel organized. I want to get my house fully clean, not just visibly clean. Everything needs a good scrubbing. I want everything to have a spot and to be in its spot. Iím not really sure what goal to set.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

July 12, 2011
9:00 AM

Post #8687947

Sharon...I think you just answered the goal question and answered it the same way I would answer it. When Tracks asked about what goal I had, the first thought to come to my mind was exactly what you just said...to have a functional household where I am able to find items when I need them. That is probably one of the most pressing things that encouraged me to begin the de-clutter last year. I was sick and tired of knowing 100% that I had an item but always having a problem finding it when it was needed. Most of the items I don't use every day, but do have a need for from time to time were housed in a very unorganized spare room closet last year. I grew weary of searching and hunting for something or having to make a trip to the store to buy something in order to complete a project. So, the organization and purging that was done has enabled me to have a better functioning household.

As you mentioned Sharon, there are areas that need re-organizing from time to time. I hadn't ever paid attention until this past year but there are certain kitchen cabinets that I have hadto work on two or three time in the past six or so months because of daily use and things becoming disorganized from use. The cabinet that I keep food storage containers in is a prime example. When they are emptied and washed and ready to be put back, I often just sit them in an available spot versus taking the time to organize with each and ever time I open that cabinet...thus I find myself having to go through maybe once a month and take stock and see if I am getting too many for the cabinet or take the time to straighten what is in there. Same for canned goods, I often just sit the cans and bags in the food cabinet after shopping and that cabinet too can become messy and disorganized quickly. Same thing for under the bathroom sink area, it tends to get messy very
quickly and often needs five or ten minutes of my attention in order to stay functional.

Anyway...love this topic. Tracks, you are full of good ideas. I like hearing from folks who have mastered an art and try my best to take heed to what they offer. Betty, so glad that you are chatting here...folks, I used to hang out daily with Miss Pauze before other things began requiring more of my attention...she is one real go getter...makes me tired reading all this woman accomplishes each and every day. What a great example of the kind of person I wish to emulate. I think th day we were made, the maker gave you my energy supply so that you go double duty, and I often go really, really slow. hahaha Love you Betty.

Anyway...to all readers...hope you are having a great day.

Ruby
SkeptikSharon
Ontario, CA
(Zone 8b)

July 12, 2011
10:13 AM

Post #8688073

Hi Ruby,

That was the only goal I could come up with. I dislike going in search of items I know I have too, and hubby has a habit of setting things down wherever he happens to be. If I have a place for everything, and things are organized, then I can better nag him about putting things back (not really nag, but kind of). Or at least I can see the item wherever he happened to put it. I do really need things to be functional.

I have those problem kitchen cabinets and drawers too. Every few times I run the dishwasher and put things away, I have to reorganize the Tupperware drawer. Every few times I go grocery shopping, I have to reorganize the food cabinet. It doesnít help that we are still in the process of finishing our kitchen and have another 2 cabinets to put up (plus a microwave hood, so I can get rid of the old dirty nasty microwave, yay!). When I do get around to reorganizing cabinets and stuff, I get a little OC about it, and have to have all the canned goods together and all with their labels forward, things like that.

It is definitely good to get ideas and tips from other people. Most of my organizational techniques have been gained from reading other peopleís tips and tricks, and from reading organization books.

One problem Iím having, not so much in de-cluttering, but in general cleaning and getting things done, is that I have always felt the need for a detailed schedule. Like to have a cleaning calendar Ė kitchen gets cleaned thoroughly on this day, living room on another day, schedule in the items that need to be done on a monthly basis, grocery shopping on a specific day, etc. But since I started having problems health-wise a few years back, I find that I am completely unreliable from day to day, so that kind of schedule doesnít really work for me anymore. Iím trying to figure out how to have a general schedule, but keep it flexible from day to day. Been looking at sample checklists and so forth online. Not sure where to go with that though.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

July 13, 2011
7:14 AM

Post #8689768

Interesting Sharon...we think so much alike and it sounds as though we could be twins. hahaha Same here as far as trying to keep to a schedule. I too have unreliable health and learned way back that it is better to not burden myself with a schedule because nine out of ten times, something will occur that will prevent me from accomplishing whatever the chore may be and I end up feeling guilty, which I certainly don't need any more of.

So, go easy. Back last winter when doing the de-cluttering and having my daily lists there would be days when nothing on the to do list was marked off as done. I decided that I needed to begin a "done" list also so that I could see that I actually had a productive day despite not doing what was on the list. This helped me deal better with the guilt of undone things and allowed me to congratulate myself for the things I actually did. So, remember to give yourself credit for the things you do accomplish, even if they weren't exactly planned for.

Thankfully I live with a low maintenance husband and he is satisfied with whatever I do within a days time. I will often mention all that I want to do within a day and he tells me to do what I feel like doing and leave the rest. I am getting better at following that advice and feel fortunate that he doesn't put pressure on me to do more than I feel like doing usually.

Anyway...continued good luck to you as you go through the process of setting up a better functioning household. The end result will all be worth it. Stewing and fretting over it won't get it done and is definitely bad on our health...so, do what you feel like doing and the other will be waiting for you to get to it.

Hope that you are having a great day.

Ruby
SkeptikSharon
Ontario, CA
(Zone 8b)

July 13, 2011
7:36 AM

Post #8689791

Hi Ruby,

Yeah, Iím still learning to go easy on myself. You are right, it does just put extra guilt on me when I try to stick to a schedule. I just feel like I am missing things otherwise. Maybe it would just be a better idea to have a weekly to do list with all the chores listed and just mark them off as I get to things, rather than having things assigned to specific days. Though Iím afraid that list might be a little overwhelming too. Keeping a ďdoneĒ list is a good idea. I am bad about giving myself credit for what I can and do get done.

That is fortunate that your husband is easy on you and doesnít push you to do more than you can do. I am fortunate too in that area. Heís pretty careful about warning me that Iím overdoing it when I go into my cleaning frenzies, and he is always right. I end up paying for it. Mostly as long as his work clothes are clean, he is okay with me getting done whatever I am able to get done. Itís me though. Iím the one that puts pressure on me. Iíve always been a perfectionist, so this unreliable health stuff has been quite a blow. Iím still learning to accept it and not put so much pressure on myself. Accept what I can get do.

I do very much look forward to feeling like my household is better functioning and better organized. Itís not horrible now, but it can definitely be a lot better and easier. Itíll just take some time.

Hope your day is great too! =)

(Here's a pic of my little munchkin Kali who keeps me company all day...)

Thumbnail by SkeptikSharon

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 13, 2011
10:57 AM

Post #8690178

kali is a doll baby!
i've always been big on making lists. i love crossing things off. i used to do that cleaning schedule thing too but i found that if i didn't get to it that day, it seemed not to get done at all. i don't know why except that the rest of the days were full and it would throw the whole thing off.
now i find what works best is one of those yellow legal tablets. i write everything down that i want to accomplish in a week. i cross things off as i go and whatever is left at the end of the week goes to the top of the next week's list. i've found that overloading the list is not a good thing. for instance, don't put down "clean the office" and a bunch of other things if the office looks like a tornado hit it and could feasibly take a week or two or even a month. write down some easily accomplished tasks so that when you do cross them off, you get a sense of well-being and for the office or whatever it is, pick a certain job within that room, like "straighten desk top" or "go through stack of papers" or whatever. you get the idea.
the simple act of crossing something off of a list is just so rewarding and gives you the impetus to go on, and on, and on!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

July 13, 2011
3:03 PM

Post #8690590

Cute pup Sharon. I own two mixed breeds who are my shadows. They are really good company for me too.

Tracks, you said it...it does feel nice when I am able to cross something off as being done. I do a whoopie on the days when I have accomplished most of the items on the list.

Well, my grand children have just gone home after spending hte afternoon here. I feel whipped. I cannot even think straight enough to make sense writing, so will close and check back again tomorrow if anyone has posted again after me.

Take care and have a good rest of today.

Ruby

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 13, 2011
6:05 PM

Post #8690883

i have two little rescue mixes too.
i had a pretty good day, i guess. had a cat scan this morning...two tests down, one to go next week.
it was/is so hot outside that my energy was zapped. i just kind of sat around the rest of the day. dp went to run some errands and brought home a chicken so i didn't have to cook. with the thought of that extra hour to myself this evening, i went out and hand watered the whole garden. that was on my list for tomorrow so i'm ahead of the game! lol

here's how anal i am. i have a lot of different garden areas and i've always just kept it in my head when i watered a section last but this year, with intense heat early on and no rain for about 2 months, i finally made a list of all the spots and now when i water an area, i put the date next to it. it has helped me save on water and probably saved some plants too. i make a new spread sheet each month and i also put down the days it rains (hah) and how much (50 drops)...sigh...

here's my two beasties. the camera flash in their eyes makes them look possessed! roflol

Thumbnail by trackinsand

JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

July 14, 2011
12:46 AM

Post #8691317

I think having a *done list* is GENIUS! I have never been good at lists and have just (sort of) kept a household schedule that has a mandatory finish date of Thursday, since my weekends need to be devoted to anything BUT work. Keeping up with a list of what I have accomplished would be a lot easier on my disorganized brain and would boost my spirits as I acknowledged my actual work done. (And a to-do list hangs over my head like Damocles sword. I dread/hate them)
SkeptikSharon
Ontario, CA
(Zone 8b)

July 14, 2011
10:10 AM

Post #8691971

Trackinsand Ė Hope all your tests come out okay! That was nice that you didnít have to cook yesterday. I ended up sending hubby Rob to go get food, as I was not going anywhere. And good for you for getting something off tomorrowís list! Thatís always a good thing! Your dogs are adorable too! I love those possessed-by-demon pictures! =)

Iíve always been a big list maker too. When I was working, my lists were what made sure I didnít miss anything. And crossing off tasks is always a good thing. Good point about focusing on small tasks if the big one would be overwhelming. Oh, and I love, love, love that you are that anal that you would put together a spreadsheet like that! I love Excel. I Ďplayí with spreadsheets when I am bored. Weird, yes? =)

Ruby Ė It is good to have our little shadows to keep us company. I cannot look at Kaliís face and not smile. Hope you were able to get some good rest last night!

JuneyBug Ė I think your type of household schedule may be what I need, with just a day of the week as a deadline. That way Iím not worried too much about getting things done on a particular day, as much as trying to get stuff done by the end of the week. The Done list will be nice too. I hate having things hanging over my head, but I think it will at least help me some to put it down on paper rather than having all these tasks rattling around in my brain. Iím always worried Iím going to forget something important.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

July 14, 2011
4:45 PM

Post #8692639

Greetings All - It is now late afternoon but so far I am not quite as tired as I was yesterday at this time. I actually feel as though I might tackle a few things after the grand kiddies leave in about an hour. Watering my deck plants is definitely on the agenda. We are beginning to get a bit dry here too tracks...I always hate it when we go in to drought season about this time each year.

I am still looking at my plant room that anyone who was around last winter knows that I talked plenty about. I suppose it has been a case of hey, I have all summer, so no hurry on anything. I am now looking at the calendar and seeing that a lot of summer has already passed and I am no where near where I thought I would be by this time.

I also didn't know that I would take on a baby sitting job that is eating up three to four afternoons a week. On occasion I am brave enough to let the children in the room while I pack up the things that need to find homes while I am rearranging the room. I haven't done that any this week, so I am feeling as though I should be in there doing something. Maybe after they leave and after
I water outside, I can find an hour or so to do some packing up.

Well...it is now three hours later. I was interupted a few times, the kids are now gone and I fixed what promises to be a really good dinner of chicken, zucchini and rice smothered in spaghetti sauce, all baked in a casserole dish. I just threw it together, didn't have a recipe, so we will see how it turns out.

I watered a bit outside until the bugs just about ate me up. I just slathered hydro-cortizone cream on the itching places. Dinner should be ready soon, and then after that...vegging in front of TV the rest of the evening. Packing the room will have to wait.

I hope that everyone else has a decent enough day. You folks all take good care until we meet again.

Ruby
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

August 21, 2011
10:35 AM

Post #8768672

Fabulous fix-up, Trackinsand! You make me eager to start some fix-ups myself.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

August 21, 2011
10:59 AM

Post #8768737

Continued success wished for each of you as you forge ahead. Love you gals and miss you when things go quiet.

Ruby

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 21, 2011
11:16 AM

Post #8768773

Wow Ruby, hardly a corner left unturned this past month, missed spring cleaning but did I get ahead of fall cleaning..could be why I can barely move..that or sitting traveling for so many hours...shucks I'll blame the housework and garden work..
rubyw
Crozet, VA

August 22, 2011
4:27 AM

Post #8770233

Hi Sweet Betty - Oh my gosh, once again your energy and stamina puts me to shame. I was really thrilled to hear of the gathering you sistahs recently had. I haven't kept up with the thread for a while now, but am still watching it, so will catch up when I have a few extra minutes some time or the other. I really miss the closeness of that group and may join in more often if things evr quiet down here...don't hold your breath though.

Anyway...I love having you pop up from time to time in the threads I read. Always great to hear from you. Have a great week coming up Betty.

Ruby

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 22, 2011
10:10 AM

Post #8770920

Ruby, I'm on a weeks vacation and Barb, Quilter5bdsr and her hubby Norm will be arriving for the week..gee likely not for 3 more hours..pacing the floor, I'm just so anxious..

Gardens are as best they can be, phlox were spectacular and last night with torrential rains it all but flattened them!

Not a thing out of place inside, as humble as my home may be. It's got a 'welcome friend's to greet them...

Side my drive to the reunion a few weeks ago I've had major problems with pain, sciatic nerve (?)..so. Pain killer and hour nap might be in order.

Do enjoy your week also..
ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

September 21, 2011
7:16 AM

Post #8817530

Hi Everyone, just popping in. Life went crazy and I with it. LOL I've had lots going on.
Everything needs to be cleaned, repaired or repainted, rebuilt or reorganized around here. I just haven't been home long enough to get much done for the past month or so. Thank God, my guys can take care of themselves now.
Anyway, I just wanted to say hi.
Seas the day,
Linda
rubyw
Crozet, VA

October 16, 2011
9:20 AM

Post #8850948

Hi Betty and Linda...how nice of you both to check in. Sorry that I haven't checked in for ages myself but my life for a while sounded much like what Linda is describing. Linda, it does finally settle even though while the craziness is going on you wonder if it ever will stop.

A good friend of my husbands died recently and he and his family lived a couple hours drive away. During his last months, John was forever getting in the car and going to visit and help around the house. That meant a crazy schedule here at home. There were also a couple of other traumatic sort of events occurring the same time as the death, so needless to say we often felt like we were on a merry go round. For a couple of weeks now things have been a lot calmer thankfully.

Betty, you still amaze me. Always full of energy and definitely accomplishing within a days time what I can in a month or so. hahaha I am really happy to hear that you were able to visit with so many friends recently. That is what makes the world go round isn't it? What would I do without great friends? It would definitely be a very lonely life. I am especially thankful for the relationships I have developed with online friends. Since 1998 when first going online, I have had the very great privilege of meeting upwards of fifty or so folks that I often interact on line with. I have been places I never thought I would visit and met folks from walks of life that I would have never imagined meeting.

I can't imagine life without Internet hookup these days. I can remember in college in the mid 1970's taking a data processing class and the professor talking about every home having a computer in it and all the things that would be able to be done. At the time I just couldn't imagine it but now that it has come to pass, I am thankfuly that I was able to be a part of it all. It has certainly opened up my life tremendously, all for the better I must add.

Linda, I hope that things will begin to settle for you soon. We often need the calm in order to balance the times when we are called upon to live a too full and busy life. I know that too much stress can be a real life and soul robber. I am convinced that my health issues which began in my late twenties over twenty five years ago are tied directly to the stress in my life at the time. I was going through a divorce and actually really being called upon to be an adult for the first time. Until that time, I had either my parents to help me make decisions or the husband. It was truly a difficult time for me having to be the one responsible for a young child and for running a home. I had very little faith in my abilities and fear was my middle name it seemed.

Looking back over the trials I have successfully navigated through over this life time has allowed me to see that all my worry and fear was basically for naught. Today, I try to pass the message along to those younger in my life who also tend to live with a lot of fear of the future and do a lot of worrying, that basically all of that is a thief meant to steal joy from us. I am not saying it is easy to be care free or to trust our future to the Universe, but I truly wish I had back the time I spent dealing with issues in a negative way. I am a very slow learner and had to become sick and tired of being sick and tired before I was able to successfully change my attitude for the better. Attitude is basically what it all boils down to from what I can tell after living these many years. It isn't really what happens to us in life, but our attitude towards it. Had I known the issues I would be called upon to face in this lifetime, I would have given up before I started, because the list has been long. I wouldnt trade one experience now though because each event in my life has formed the woman I am today, and I kind of like her. May as well, I will be spending the rest of my life with her. hahaha

Such philosophical thoughts...didn't know I was going to write all of this. Must be something I need to hear today. Anyway...let me leave you both with thoughts of good tidings and great joy. Life is what you make it. Have a great week coming up and again t was good touching base with both of you ladies.

Ruby
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 25, 2011
7:18 AM

Post #8862891

Happy Birthday Ruby. Thanks for your many caring ways. I know your plants will be happy in their new decluttered space this winter. Bravo.
ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

October 25, 2011
8:30 AM

Post #8862994

Happy Birthday Ruby!
I have been around, just crazy busy. I've had a tremendous amount going on it seems and some things just keep getting put off waiting for those days when it is too cold to get outside for any reason. Maybe if I make a list I will remember what I want to work on for those days.
Anyway, just thought I would pop in, Hope all is well,
Linda
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

October 25, 2011
5:30 PM

Post #8863638

Happy Birthday!

Thumbnail by JuneyBug

WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

October 25, 2011
7:16 PM

Post #8863791

Happy Birthday. Hope you had a great day. Mother Winter
rubyw
Crozet, VA

October 30, 2011
10:46 AM

Post #8869229

Thank you so very much everyone!!!! Linda, you just described my life to a T these past few months. Last Sunday I was feeling so distressed about my seeming to be spinning my wheels and getting no where while doing so, that I mentioned it to John. He pointed out that I have taken on a new responsiblity of baby sitting three days a week and that has certainly cut in to my previous leisure hours.

I remembered then that my cleaning lady who used to come weekly and not too long ago cut back to bi-weekly hadn't been here in almost three months meaning that I am doing the things that she did for me. No wonder I am feeling this way. I have had a lot of changes occur that are re-placing the many hours I used to have to get things done.

Coleup, thanks for the reminders that everything doesn't need to get done yesterday. Many things I want addressed are things that many other people may not find important to do in the first place. I know that I have a tendency to be obsessive/compulsive about my surroundings and thus set high standards for myself.

I am not sure if that at this point in the game, at age 56 if I will change my standards or not. I suppose about the only thing that will get in my way of keeping things tidy is health issues that might prevent me doing certain tasks. I was raised by a O/C mother in terms of housekeeping too. When she began displaying signs of Alzheimer's her housekeeping standards suffered. Her house no longer gleamed and shone but there were food wrappers and things on the kitchen counters and things that if she had all her capabilities would have never happened. I suppose there is a small fear somewhere in my mind that something along those lines might happen to me in the future. For today, I will do what I can and leave the rest. I hope to not waste too much precious energy worrying about what might happen tomorrow either.

Thank you all so much for the special birthday wishes. They make me feel very loved.

Ruby
rubyw
Crozet, VA

November 6, 2011
9:55 AM

Post #8878936

Quiet here once again. I finally have a few extra minutes and am going through the Clean and Clutter Free and Mid Atlantic Gardeners forums to see what I might have missed lately. Not too very much I see.

I hope this post finds each of you doing well and enjoying the weather before frigid temperatures sit in. The house is a bit chilly today so I haven't ventured outside yet. I have a few Pansies that I might try getting potted today. I also have several indoor plants needing my attention.

As you can see, I am putting off doing anything much very productive for as long as I can. Might be a good time to bid everyone adieu and get busy.

Ruby
ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

November 6, 2011
7:31 PM

Post #8879613

Hi Ruby, I'm around. Had lots going on lately. I pop in now and then. It does get quiet from time to time. Helped Mom today and I really need to stay here tomorrow and clean. I have big plans for decluttering my closet. I have to start somewhere and if I start in the far back corner and work my way out, I should eventually get it all done. We are about to inherit a piano so I have to figure out how to rearrange things to fit it in.

I try to keep up when I can.
Hope all is well.
Linda
rubyw
Crozet, VA

November 18, 2011
7:14 AM

Post #8895397

Thanks for checking in Linda. I know that you tend to have things come up that require your attention and I certainly understand that for sure. There are times when I just cannot keep up with all the online sites that I like. Some sites move so quickly due to acitivity that if you miss one day it seems like a month.

I have found over the years that my loyalties between Dave's Garden and Facebook kind of switch back and forth, back and forth. I just cannot fit both in usually, so if I happen to get involved with one of the sites, the other is lost to me for a period.

Good luck with the closet and I hope that you receive much enjoyment from the piano.

Have a great weekend.

Ruby
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 23, 2011
10:38 AM

Post #8902746

Happy Thanksgiving to all! I have not dropped off the face of the earth; this time of the year, although I didn't plan it this way, seems like everything is bunching up on us. DH is recovering well from fractured rib where he fell on a rainy morning rushing to get to meeting here on 10/13.. Who's cooking tomorrow for family and friends? Or are you invited elsewhere for a change? Our daughter is cooking a small turkery for 8 of us and asked me to cook the fresh string beans and make a candied yam casserole. Son is bringing pies and Cool Whip. I guess this means I will do the Xmas dinner here.

I have veered off track with my decluttering/organizing project but will get back on track probably between Xmas and New Year's when things have slowed down. Will pull everything out of some cabinets and see what can be donated, or stored in a clear plastic box and labeled and put in garage cabinet since it will be stuff that I may use once or twice a year or seasonally. Have a lot of storage containers for food that I don't use anymore. They will go to hospital Thrift Shop or another charity. Have you noticed how many people are calling for charities now days. Guess it is something they can do from home and make money. We used to have neighbors that have done it for certain charities for years. Wondering if they really make much money doing it? Maybe somebody that does this will post their experiences in charity calling.

I hope to get either my daughter or Granddaughter over here while they are off for Xmas holidays to help me with my cabinet cleaning out. The granddaughter is 13 and daughter is a size 6..she can get down and back up with no trouble..it is difficult for either DH or I to get down and up without pain or discomfort. Such is life!

I'm sure my Grandchild will be glad to help..to earn some spending money.
Don't give up on me..I'm just delaying this project for about 6 weeks, and I'll get serious about it again. Have been following some great organizing blogs that have such great inspirational and good organizing ideas.
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 23, 2011
7:21 PM

Post #8903470

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone! =^..^= =^..^=
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 24, 2011
4:46 AM

Post #8903698

And Happy Thanksgiving to you Pippi and Huckleberry! And to all heard from and not heard from, best wishes for you and yours this Holiday season..
rubyw
Crozet, VA

November 25, 2011
7:01 AM

Post #8904895

Hi Everyone - It is now Friday morning after Thanksgiving. We had a very enjoyable and delicious meal at John's brother's home yesterday. There was a bit of a cloud that hung over the group yesterday because on Wednesday the 23rd John's dad passed away. He was ninety years old and most everyone was probably prepared for it as much as person can be. Mr. Watts had fallen a couple of months ago and it has been downhill since then.

I haven't been awake too very long yet today. Later I am thinking of making some Christmas cookies that can be frozen, that is if they last long enough to make it to the freezer. We are big sweets eaters in this house.

Along the lines of de-cluttering the only thing I might do is when I decide to have the Christmas decoration bins come from the attic is to go through them again and donate some of my excesses. I don't use a tenth of the things and it is kind of silly to unpack and re-pack each year. If I can get to them over the next few days I will have time to donate and them possibly be sold this year.

Thanks for writing all. Enjoy the rest of the long weekend.

Ruby
quiltygirl
No Central, AZ
(Zone 7b)

November 25, 2011
7:41 PM

Post #8905910

Hey everyone, I have not fallen off the side of the earth and I read your posts, just have not been active writing my own here. DH had surgery 8/15 as a result of discovery of cancer after a car accident 6/8 (God found an interesting way - accident - to show him the cancer). He ended up being in the hospital over 3 weeks, then a nursing facility and since the USC hospital is in downtown L.A. 85 miles away, I have spent a lot of time driving there and for follow up appts. He now has doctors in 4 counties - and our counties are huge! He is on the mend and dealing with some post surgical problems, so we are slowing down a bit. He even had 2 clients, one from MO and one from Hong Kong meet with him at the nursing care. Better there than in the hospital where he was hallucinatory from drugs! LOL with some things he thought he saw.

I can see how those who are hoarders get depressed (or is it the other way around). I have always been more or less a minimalist in what is out and had everything that was not out neatly organized. However, I am the only one of 3 in this house and between the stuff out (nowhere near those TV shows) and the daily messes made by the cats and dogs, this is not a place a like to come home to. Now that DH's body chemistry make him very cold all the time and he wants the heat on (I am the opposite), being in a hot, messy and stinky house is enough to make me scream!! Last week I had to drive him to Las Vegas for a business meeting for 2 days (Oh yea, he still is unable to drive) with a young man from S. Korea and we stayed at one of those 'suite' hotels made for long term business stays. There was a small, but complete kitchen, small living room and large bedroom and large bathroom. I was in heaven and could so downsize at this point. I always start placing my 'stuff' mentally in places like that or others' homes. I even mentally place the Christmas decos! (Sidebar: Sharon, I really want to get together with you in Vegas sometime and was very disappointed over a year ago of not being able to. My time has not been my own while being there. Maybe in Jan. when DH wants to go to the World of Concrete show starting the 23rd. I could drop him off at the Convention Center as I have no interest in going. He needs to arrange for an electric scooter to be able to do that show.)

I am glad everyone had a nice Thanksgiving. It was small here the 3 of us and GS. Went shopping for groceries ON the DAY about 1PM and fixed prime rib, fresh asparagus (both bargains on sale), dressing, butternut squash and Hawaiian sweet bread rolls. Not much tradition at our house. That is usually Christmas dinner, but since we are not big on turkey... and the cook, me, hates mashed potatoes...

I really, really NEED to go through Christmas decos. As a single person and for the first couple years of marriage, I put EVERY one of my 1400 Santas out, on multiple trees and outdoor lights. But, it has been 16 years and no one who really cares to help that much (and DH NOT AT ALL and would prefer none). There was a friend who would always make a day of helping me unpack - in the old days. While most are dear, as gifts or things I collected on my world travels, there must be some I can 'recycle'! While it is a fun collection, it likely would end up being a burden to someone inheriting it.

Juney, have you finished moving yet? Now is that within Korea or back stateside?
rubyw
Crozet, VA

November 26, 2011
9:09 AM

Post #8906394

Quilty!!!!!!!! Great to see you. Gosh, you have had a lot to deal with recently. Sounds as though most everything is on the mend and maybe soon as you said, your life will become your own again soon. How cool would it be to meet up with Sharon. To tell the truth, if she lived closer, she would be one of the Dave's people that I would truly love to meet and spend an afternoon with.

So, Sharon if you are reading this...haven't heard from you in a while...I hope that things are going well for both you and Vern and rest of your wonderful family. Sme with Juney, if you are readin, please check in. I realize that you too have been busy, busy but I miss hearing from you too.

Quilty...I am amazed with the amount of Santa's you own. I am catching up with you though with the amount of elephant figurines I have collected over some years now. I am right there with you on the needing to get rid of some of the Christmas decor items. I must have unpacked and repacked at least 8 large plastic bins last year and even though at the time I was doing a major decluttering, not much of the Christmas stuff left the premises. I have been promising myself all year that this would be the year. I am thinking of having either hubby or son crawl the ladder to the attic today and bring down at least a few of the bins so that I can begin my process of downsizing Christmas wise. Wish me luck please.

I did a lot of talking last year about doing Christmas a bit differently this year. I am hoping that I will be able to stick to my guns. I have to admit that I have been buying gifts for some months now each time I visit a store. A shelf in my master bedroom closet if getting quite full now. There are even gifts on the floor of the closet too. Three days a week I have prying eyes who think nothing of going in to the closet and who have already found a few of the things that I didn't hide well enough. A four year old and her baby brother now know that is the place to find some goodies if they get bored.

I believe I will start a new thread regarding the holidays and see if we can get some dialogue going in terms of making the season a less stressful one for ourselves and one of peace and joy instead.

Again, great to see you posting Quilty. Always great to hear from you. What an interesting life you live out there on the other coast. Hope to hear more from you soon.

Ruby

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Clean and Clutter-free Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Anyone enjoy TLC's "Clean Sweep"? gardenwife 22 Jun 24, 2008 12:44 AM
Favorite bathroom cleaner? Terry 79 Nov 9, 2013 2:05 AM
Do you do this? Terry 11 Sep 22, 2009 5:16 AM
Dog Slobber levilyla 24 Nov 4, 2012 3:33 PM
Vacuums Yuska 99 Jan 5, 2011 9:36 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America