Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Landscaping: Birds Nest on Newly purchased Golden Globe Arborvitae

Communities > Forums > Beginner Landscaping
bookmark
Forum: Beginner LandscapingReplies: 4, Views: 34
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
TriniStar
Ridgefield Park, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 14, 2011
2:27 PM

Post #8562718

So today my golden globe arborvitae's were delivered from the nursery and my husband is outside planting it. He calls me out and to my surprise, in the middle of the bush has a smalls bird nest with about 4 or 5 eggs!

LOL, I think it's so cute, but without a mother, is there anything I can do to make the eggs hatch?

Maybe I am posting on the wrong forum? I'm not sure, but I'm just excited about my shrubs and the little cute nest.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 14, 2011
2:37 PM

Post #8562727

Here's some info for you
http://www.wild-bird-watching.com/bird-egg.html
http://www.sialis.org/incubate.htm
I'm not sure how good the chances are of them hatching, but even if you could get them to hatch, I think you'll have trouble keeping the babies alive without the mother bird around.
TriniStar
Ridgefield Park, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 14, 2011
5:27 PM

Post #8563042

Thanks for the info... I wanted to return it to the nursery, but after reading the links, I can't.

I feel horrible for choosing that particular shrub and taking away the eggs from a mother.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 14, 2011
5:40 PM

Post #8563062

Don't feel bad--it's not your fault. Sometimes birds will make a new nest if something happens to the first one so chances are momma bird will try again somewhere else.
TriniStar
Ridgefield Park, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 14, 2011
9:00 PM

Post #8563382

Thanks! I just thought I would be frantic looking for my kids, LOL and for some reason I figured birds were the same.

Thanks again!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Landscaping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Landscaping forum! dave 65 Dec 11, 2011 8:57 PM
Landscape Transformation - join me! LarissaH 7 Mar 4, 2007 10:31 PM
Hello everyone, I'm new , and I need some landscaping help. Mrsfed04 32 Mar 9, 2012 9:12 PM
Encourage growth to Arborvitae carbo3595 15 Jul 2, 2010 8:11 PM
Update on our lanscaping situation. Mrsfed04 8 Jun 12, 2011 11:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America