-
AuthorContent
desertbunny
Organ, NM
(Zone 7a)

May 15, 2011
2:33 PM

Post #8564802

I am having no success with heucheras. I live in zone7a. I've tried them in partial shade, full shade a.m. sun. But they just start looking pitiful, then dry up. Our soil here (NM) is alkaline, could that be the problem? I have an automatic watering system, so they do have moisture.
springcolor
Lake Stevens, WA

May 15, 2011
3:46 PM

Post #8565033

DB,
You should try looking for any of the hybrids with Sanguinea in the name. The species grows at about 6,500 feet in the granite crevices in AZ. I'm not a big fan of auto water systems when it comes to plants. Lawn no problem. These plants do not like wet feet. Good drainage is a must.

The hybrids come from a diverse family background and frankly they are an experiment when it comes to exposure. I would start with shade and move out from that. For me the light green leaves take little sun but as they get darker to the plum more sun. I just use that for exposure. Of course I live in Washington state with little sun and lots of rain. I have found that the Sanguinea are harder to grow here.
Hope this helps. If you see this book in your library or bookstore it is worth a read. Heucheras and Heucherellas by Dan Heim and Grahame Ware
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

May 16, 2011
9:54 PM

Post #8568457

Instead of using the auto water system, why not put the plants in containers with good drainage. If you are not happy with the exposure, the container is easy to move. You can place the container in the ground as well. It makes experimentation easy.

I use oversize containers, often with multiple plants and drill extra holes where necessary.

Thumbnail by cathy166
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 17, 2011
5:49 AM

Post #8568809

Cathy

very pretty. What is the variagated one in your picture?
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

May 17, 2011
7:50 AM

Post #8569021

It is Snow Angel. It lost every leaf on its head this winter (deer?) and has filled in beautifully.

http://www.google.com/search?q=heuchera snow angel&hl=en&prmd=ivns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=YHzSTa_WEsPagQfD35nFCw&ved=0CDkQsAQ

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/4802/
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 17, 2011
7:51 AM

Post #8569024

Very nice. I love the varigation. I have Heurcules and he is nicely varigated as well...
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

April 21, 2012
10:42 AM

Post #9091681

I have better luck with them in containers. I also almost never water unless we're going into a drought period and then I don't water heavily. When I pot up I add a tiny pinch of water retaining crystals in the bottom third of the container and then backfill until I get the correct level for potting up the plants. I clean them up in the fall and winter to remove dead leaves and pieces of the plant that have gone woody and died back. Each spring I top off the soil and make sure that the crown hasn't sunk too low or heaved too high.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Heucheras and Friends Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Any Heuchera Experts Out There, specifically deer-resistant JudithI 19 Feb 14, 2009 5:00 PM
Colorful Heucheras sanannie 148 Aug 2, 2007 5:10 PM
New Member - wondering about Heucheras jazmine188 18 May 29, 2007 1:27 PM
Palace Purple Overexposed! (Warning...this is scary) Erynne 24 May 31, 2007 3:30 PM
Question about wintering over Heucheras BlueAsh 17 Mar 28, 2007 9:57 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America