Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Landscaping: Dwarf Burford Holly losing leaves...

Communities > Forums > Beginner Landscaping
bookmark
Forum: Beginner LandscapingReplies: 4, Views: 25
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
shuggins
Houston, TX
(Zone 9b)

May 15, 2011
4:08 PM

Post #8565112

I have 3 hollies in my front bed that have decided to lose their leaves. Actually for one of them, this is the third plant we have put in. For the last one, we actually left it in the pot thinking if there was something in the soil that was killing that plant the new plant wouldn't be exposed. I don't get it. I picked those plants because I thought they would be care-free, but not so far. I have 4 in the back that are going great. The other plants in that bed are doing fine and 1 holly is doing fine. This is very frustrating, especially since we have our house on the market and having dead looking shrubs in front isn't going to help. Anyone have any ideas? TIA

plantfreak78

plantfreak78
Rolesville, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 16, 2011
11:27 AM

Post #8567102

A picture would help us help you. Also, how often are you watering and how long have your other plants been in the ground?
shuggins
Houston, TX
(Zone 9b)

May 16, 2011
6:20 PM

Post #8567983

I will try to get a picture tomorrow. We usually water about every two to three days. It has been very hot and we have only gotten rain 1 day in the last 3 months. The most of the other plants have been in the ground since last fall, but the two hollies that are doing fine have been in the ground the same amount of time as the ones that aren't doing well.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

May 17, 2011
2:50 PM

Post #8569809

Hollies are normally tough as old boots but, lack of water when still young is probably the most common cause of death, next id soil born disease, next is grubs under the soil eating the roots.
For a quick fix for showing your house, place new plants IN THEIR POTS in the places where you have removed the dead plants.
When you dug out the dead Hollies, please take the time to remove some soil from around the roots, spread out a bit of plastic or news paper so you can check for grubs, look see how dry the roots are and check the underside of the leaves, there must be clues somewhere if you do this.
I would think that as you have had very little rain for months, the problem is lack of water, Hollies have glossy leaves and therefore don't loose their leaves quickly, so it sounds to me it is too dry for young plants, as to why one plant is doing OK, maybe this one is getting more shade, more water or has better soil conditions, it is amazing how the same bed can have differences in the soil conditions so please do check all these things out, it will be a learning curve for you and if you find the problem, save you money in the future.
Good Luck, WeeNel.
LordsNursery
Lake Placid, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 18, 2011
6:59 PM

Post #8572745

i agree . check the soil, dig around the plants that are dropping leaves. place a hose near them and soak them twice a day for four days then be sure to check your irrigation. Remember a plant near a house or in more sun than others will require more water..

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Landscaping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Landscaping forum! dave 65 Dec 11, 2011 8:57 PM
Landscape Transformation - join me! LarissaH 7 Mar 4, 2007 10:31 PM
Hello everyone, I'm new , and I need some landscaping help. Mrsfed04 32 Mar 9, 2012 9:12 PM
Encourage growth to Arborvitae carbo3595 15 Jul 2, 2010 8:11 PM
Update on our lanscaping situation. Mrsfed04 8 Jun 12, 2011 11:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America